• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 9,240 Views, 386 Comments

Traveler's Exile - Niaeruzu



A changeling goes to Canterlot to investigate a serious theft. Though in the past year and a half, Canterlot has changed in a very peculiar way...

  • ...
10
 386
 9,240

Chapter 3

“I guess it’s still same old, same old back at the hive?” Suncloak asked, leading #5 through the castle.

#5 shrugged. “Nothing’s changed. The Queen likes having control over everything.”

“We put a lot of work into making Equestria a good place to live for changelings,” Suncloak said. “Though not all ponies are that fond of us yet. But I’m sure it’ll fade over time.”

#5 rolled his eyes. Judging from what he’d seen, ponies were already far too friendly with changelings. “You’re comfortable enough to address yourself with the royal ‘we’.”

Suncloak paused and raised an eyebrow. “No, when I say ‘we’, I mean every changeling and pony living in Equestria. The only reason I can get stuff done is because of them.” He continued walking. “It’s complicated politics stuff. Very different from getting anything done in the hive. Same amount of backstabbing jerks, though!”

“You have enemies? Really now?” #5 asked. “Who would’ve guessed.”

“It’s not as bad as I make it sound,” Suncloak said as he continued walking. “There are only a few ponies who aren’t happy with us. Most ponies are either happy to make new friends, or they simply don’t care as long as we behave. Which is why I’m here.”

“I was wondering about that,” #5 said. “What’s your role as ambassador?”

“It’s pretty broad,” Suncloak said. “I’m basically the highest changeling official in the government, which means I get to decide a lot of important things. Laws and such. I also help newcomers when I can, make sure they’re comfortable.”

“I’m sure they appreciate your…” #5 paused for a second, thinking of the right word, “capable hooves.”

Suncloak chuckled. “I do the best I can. Really, I’m just a volunteer, but I guess I’m pretty good at—” A slight misstep made it impossible for him to finish that sentence, as he apparently had not seen the flight of stairs leading down right in front of him. The cloaked changeling tumbled down the steps, creating a huge noise, slamming face-first into a wall a second later.

“Right. Good at what?” #5 said, walking down the stairs like any normal changeling would.

“Huh wuh,” Suncloak said. His fangs had pierced the wall, punching holes in the plaster and keeping his mouth wide open. With a fierce tug, he managed to get loose. “Never mind. By the way, that has never happened to me before. I swear.” He hastily continued, walking down another flight of stairs and into the next hall.

#5 inspected the wall Suncloak had slammed into. There were a lot of small, circle-shaped spots that were coloured a slightly lighter shade of white. In fact, they looked suspiciously like fang marks that had been covered up. #5 rolled his eyes and followed Suncloak again.

“You’d think an ambassador would have a slightly more appropriate name,” #5 said. “Or, you know, a number and an occupation, like a changeling is supposed to have.”

“Well, I used to be royal guard #37,” Suncloak said. “But then I was banished. I just kinda stumbled into this name. Long story. All other changelings take more pony-like names to make it easier for their friends.”

“I don’t suppose you have some kind of list with all names and former numbers?” #5 asked. Something like that would be incredibly helpful for his mission.

“Yep, I do!” Suncloak said. “For security reasons, mostly. Gotta make sure the Queen doesn’t plant any spies.”

Huh. At least that sort of explained why the hive knew so little about the situation in Canterlot. On top of that, the Queen was very tight-lipped about the information as well. “So I guess you’ll want to know my name and occupation as well?” #5 asked.

“Yep!” Suncloak said. “Nothing personal. Like I said, security reasons.”

“None of your business,” #5 sneered.

“Then I’ll keep calling you Traveler,” Suncloak said.

#5 groaned. Well then, it seemed like he was stuck with that name. Traveler. Bah.

A few minutes later, they reached the front door of the castle. Or rather, front doors, seeing as it was an absolutely massive set of double doors. Suncloak stopped in front of them and turned to #5. Or Traveler, whatever his name was at this point.

“Anyway,” Suncloak said, dramatically clearing his throat. “I’d like to formally welcome you to the capital city of Equestria, home to about a hundred changelings…” He pushed against one of the doors with his shoulder, but it wouldn’t budge. “I said, home to about a hundred changelings,” Suncloak repeated, throwing his full weight onto the door. “Geez, this is heavier than I thought.”

After a few seconds of throwing his weight against the door and grumbling about something, a small part of the large door suddenly swung outward, sending Suncloak tumbling to the ground. A pony guard standing outside stared at the collapsed ambassador in surprise. “You okay, sir?”

“...Canterlot,” Suncloak mumbled, then stood up. He gave a little flourish and gestured at the city. “Tadaah?”

“Very impressive,” Traveler deadpanned. “A hundred changelings, you say?”

Suncloak nodded. “Well, there’s a bunch more right now for construction purposes. I’ll show you later.” He headed for the city, motioning for Traveler to follow. “Come on. The first thing I want to show you isn’t far from here.”

As he followed Suncloak, Traveler mulled over his new name. As far as names went, it was dumb, but not too much so. It could’ve been worse, like Suncloak. And he supposed his white scarf could be the thing that made him stand out. After all, in a city where every changeling had something unique, it would be fairly strange to have a changeling without something unique. So everything worked out nicely. Nicely, not considering the fact he was wearing a stupid, white scarf.

“So which came first?” Traveler asked. “The cloak or the name?”

Suncloak looked at his cloak for a second. “Oh, this? Like I said, long story. I had a cloak, and then I didn’t have a cloak for a while, and then my friends gave me this one.”

Traveler raised an eyebrow. “Your friends have weird tastes.” Seriously, black on grey? How dull could it get?

“Weird taste? The tuxedo and top hat combination I have to wear for formal events is weird taste,” Suncloak said. “Pony etiquette can get really complicated sometimes.”

Huh. A changeling in a tuxedo. Now that Traveler would like to see, if only because it’d be embarrassing for said changeling. “So, where are you taking me?”

“Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns,” Suncloak said. “You’ll see why in a minute.”

A few minutes later, they reached an enormous building. In front of it was a large sign saying ‘Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns’, as expected, but there was a little post-it note attached to the side, small enough that Traveler had to read it up close. The note said ‘+ changelings’.

Traveler raised an eyebrow. “There are gifted changelings?”

“Right now, there’s only one,” Suncloak said. “But he’s really smart. Can you believe Queen Chrysalis had him working in hive maintenance?”

“You do what the Queen tells you to,” Traveler said, giving a shrug. That was just the way changelings lived. Or how they were supposed to live, at any rate. “So what’s he supposed to do here, follow classes?”

“Not at all,” Suncloak said, heading inside. “He does research on changeling magic. Really complicated stuff.”

That made Traveler raise an eyebrow. Research? There were a lot of things changelings didn’t understand about the limits of their own magic, but he never thought it was necessary. Neither did the Queen, because there weren’t all that many changeling researchers. And based on how fast their work was going, Traveler always thought they spent their hours making paper airplanes or something like that.

The inside of the school was filled with very intellectual-looking ponies. Most of them were wearing really boring, dorky outfits, like thick-rimmed glasses and argyle turtlenecks. Ew. Maybe if Traveler didn’t make eye contact with them, they wouldn’t see him.

Several moments later, the two of them entered a fairly small room. The place was a mess, papers scattered criss-cross over a desk, several bookcases, chairs, everything. In the middle of the chaos stood a changeling wearing an elaborate set of goggles, intently focusing his magic on an apple. The apple shook for a second, then violently exploded, splattering the changeling’s goggles with apple guts.

“Well then,” he said, sliding the goggles onto his forehead. “That was actually pretty predictable. Perhaps if I used a banana...”

Suncloak, who somehow managed to get most of the apple sprayed onto him, loudly cleared his throat. “Goggles, what in the hive are you doing?” he said as he wiped most of the apple from his face.

Goggles looked around for a moment, confused, until he saw Suncloak and Traveler. “Oh, hey boss!” he said, running over to them. “What’re you doing here? Showing someling around?”

“You could say that,” Suncloak said. “But what are you doing?” He gestured at the scattered remains of the apple. “And for the last time, stop calling me boss.”

“Oh, you know,” Goggles said. “Science-y stuff. I wanted to test a hypothesis.” He paused for a second before adding, “Also, I like blowing up fruit.”

“That’s okay,” Suncloak said. “So what’s this hypothesis thing you’re testing?”

Goggles suddenly gave a very awkward grin. “Well, uh, it’s the theory that, uh… I think… I should have it around here somewhere.”

“You lost your papers somewhere again, didn’t you?” Suncloak rolled his eyes.

“It’s not my fault they made this school like a labyrinth!” Goggles blurted. “I’ll ask my friends to help me find it! I just… kinda got distracted.”

Suncloak put a hoof on Goggles’ shoulder. “It’s okay. Just make sure you get your stuff together, alright?” He put his hoof back down again and gestured at Traveler. “Now, this here is Traveler. Maybe you can tell him about some of the things you’ve done here?”

Goggles turned to Traveler. “Some things I’ve done here, huh? Well, I usually just hang around with my friends. I also do research here, but I haven’t been doing it for very long. Long enough to find out that trying to replicate a unicorn’s telekinesis as a changeling just blows stuff up.” He paused for a second. “Which is actually both funny and interesting.”

Traveler stared at him, switching between a frown and raising his eyebrows every other second. “Your name is Goggles?”

“Yep!” Goggles said, puffing his chest up in pride. “I had a pretty hard time deciding on a name, so my friends gave me one. Because I like these so much!” He pointed at the goggles on his forehead.

“How creative,” Traveler said.

“So, do you see what I mean yet?” Suncloak asked, a hopeful smile on his face.

“I think I’m getting an idea.” Though Traveler didn’t know if it was the idea Suncloak intended.

“Okay, thanks for your time, Goggles,” Suncloak said. “You just keep doing whatever it is you do.”

“Aye-aye, boss!” Goggles said, giving a salute and flipping his namesake onto his eyes again.

Suncloak turned and motioned for Traveler to follow back down the hallways, grumbling something under his breath.

Traveler followed yet again. “Why do these changelings keep calling—” A very loud bang back the way they came, followed by a shout of “Bananas are awesome!” interrupted him. “Why do they keep calling you boss?”

Suncloak sighed. “I have no idea. I think they just do it because it annoys me.”

“It annoys you?” Traveler raised an eyebrow. “But they’re calling you their leader. How can that possibly annoy you?”

“Because it’s not true,” Suncloak said. “I’m not their leader, or their boss, or whatever. I just make a couple of decisions to try and make their lives a bit better.”

“Doesn’t that basically make you their leader?” Traveler asked. “You’re the highest changeling official in Equestria, you said it yourself.”

Suncloak shrugged. “It just doesn’t feel that way.”

It wasn’t until they left the school that Suncloak spoke up again. “So, do you want to tell me why you’re here yet?”

“No,” Traveler said. “That was strange and all, but I’m not sure yet.” That, and he hadn’t thought of anything substantial yet. So far, he’d been too busy being surprised at these thoroughly weird changelings.

“Let’s try this again, then,” Suncloak said, heading out again. “I’ll show you another school.”

Traveler raised an eyebrow and followed. “A school? Again?”

“Yep!” Suncloak said, another big smile on his face. “Canterlot Elementary. It’s only a few blocks from here.”

Elementary school? Traveler frowned. That didn’t sound good, not at all. Elementary school would be full of pony foals. Considering the current situation in Canterlot, maybe even a few changeling nymphs. Eugh. He was generally okay with nymphs, as long as they stayed very far away from him.

“I know what you’re thinking,” Suncloak said. “It’s not nearly as bad as it sounds.”

“Fine,” Traveler said. After all, if the changelings at this next school acted as strangely as the ones he’d met before, then maybe this would be a pleasant surprise.

For some reason, he was really doubting that.

A couple of blocks further, the two reached their next destination. Like Suncloak said, it was another school, though this one was far smaller. It also had a sign, displaying the name of the school, Canterlot Elementary, in colourful, big letters. Through the windows, Traveler could see classes filled with foals and their teachers, though he couldn’t see any changelings. There was a large playground out in front of the building, but there currently weren’t any ponies or changelings playing.

The inside of the school was a perfect example of the average elementary school: happy colours, happy drawings, happy everything. Which made Traveler feel really, really uncomfortable. He’d assumed that such a large amount of happiness in one place was impossible.

“This’ll probably surprise you,” Suncloak said, leading Traveler all the way to the back of the school. Once there, he pointed at a door, leading to a room that hadn’t been visible from outside. There were a few tall, narrow windows right next to the door, which Suncloak took a peek through. “Here, look at this,” he said, beckoning Traveler over.

It took some maneuvering, but Traveler managed to see through the window and into the class. The inside was as colourful as the rest of the building, though the classroom was a bit more empty than Traveler had anticipated. The little school tables had been pushed to the sides of the room, neatly put away against the walls and the windows.

In the middle of the room was a semicircle of both pony foals and a couple of changeling nymphs. All of them were completely silent, enthralled by the adult changeling in front of them. A female with a short, red mane and tail, kept completely straight. She was reading from a book, though Traveler couldn’t make out what she was saying.

Suncloak squinted. “I really hope she isn’t telling them what I think she is.”

“Telling them what?” The only thing Traveler could see in the book was a picture of a pony dressed as a knight, accompanied by a pony and a foal clothed in rags.

“Uh, never mind.” Suncloak cleared his throat. “Anyway, as you can see, this is a class with both ponies and changelings, and the teacher is even a changeling! So far, this is only a test phase, but it’s going really well. Both the foals and the nymphs are having a great time.” He puffed up his chest in pride. “I know, because I made a survey.”

Traveler rolled his eyes. Asking a couple of questions to kids wasn’t something to boast about. “Is that it?”

“Yeah.” Suncloak took a step back. “Made up your mind yet?”

Traveler shook his head. He was starting to become less and less sure about the threat Suncloak posed, as he couldn’t possibly be sane. Right? Maybe. It was getting somewhat confusing.

Suddenly, the classroom’s door opened, and the red-maned changeling stuck her head out. “Can I help you with something?” she said, looking at Traveler. When she saw Suncloak, her face lit up. “Hey, boss! What’re you doing here today?”

“Just showing someling around,” Suncloak said. “His name’s Traveler.”

“Neat. My name’s Shining Nova,” the changeling said, turning to Traveler. “Keeping the ambassador off his work, are you?”

“I guess,” Traveler said. Not that he could think of any important work Suncloak would have to do.

“It’s not like that,” Suncloak said, subtly nodding at Traveler’s scarf. “But I’ll get out of your holes. We have one last stop to visit.”

“Then I’ll see you later,” Shining Nova said. “You go do your important ambassador stuff.” She briefly looked back in her classroom. “I should go back to work. But before that…” She stepped out of the classroom, gave Suncloak a peck on the cheek, then quickly went back inside again and closed the door behind her.

“Right, moving on,” Suncloak said, hastily turning around and leaving.

Traveler stared at the door in surprise for a few seconds. “Did she just…?” He quickly caught up to Suncloak. “Did she just kiss you?!”

“Yes,” Suncloak said, blushing fiercely through his scowl. “She knows I hate that.”

“Is she crazy?!” Traveler hissed. “She gave you love! Why would she do that?”

Suncloak sighed. “It’s like I’ve been trying to show you. The two of us, we’re friends. And she has many, many more friends, each one of them giving her love every single day. I bet those kids in the classroom are giving her love as well.”

“So? That’s no reason to start giving it away!” Traveler couldn’t even believe he was having this conversation. This was common knowledge to changelings! You don’t give away love unless you’re crazy!

“It kind of is,” Suncloak said. “The average changeling living in Equestria gets so much love, they either have to give a lot of it away, or restrict their feeding. A couple of months ago, we had a bit of a problem where changelings got really sick. Turns out a changeling can only consume so much love in a day.”

Traveler blinked a few times in surprise. He had no idea the changelings living around here were doing so well for themselves. He himself would’ve been tempted to live here just to try it out, if the general behaviour and way of life of these changelings wasn’t so profoundly stupid.

After a little while, the two of them were outside again, with Suncloak leading Traveler back to the castle. “So, what was she giving you back there?” Traveler said after about a minute of walking. “Was that the standard love love, or friendship love?”

Suncloak smirked. “None of your business.”

Figures. “Anyway, you said there was one last stop to visit?” Traveler asked. With this last bit of information, he actually had a pretty good idea of what he was going to do, but he was still interested in this next location. Whatever it was, it’d probably surprise him in some way.

“Yep,” Suncloak said. “We can get there from multiple places in the city, but the easiest entrance is near the castle. I’d tell you what it is, but you wouldn’t believe me.”

Traveler raised an eyebrow. That couldn’t mean anything good. Suncloak had been very forthcoming with his earlier destinations, which were already incredibly strange. Whatever they were heading to now had to be the strangest thing possible. Traveler couldn’t even imagine what it might be, considering that Canterlot had already been unimaginably weird to him.

When they reached the castle, Suncloak didn’t go inside, but circled around, eventually reaching a rather small building that was built into the mountainside. On the inside, the building was very simple, looking more like an old, dusty mine entrance. In fact, looking at some of the rather dated maps on the walls, it actually was an old mine entrance. Though there were many new-looking boxes standing near the mine shaft, so maybe it wasn’t that old.

“The entrance doesn’t look like much yet, but we’re working on it,” Suncloak said, making his way towards the mineshaft. “It’s down here.”

What could there possibly be inside this mineshaft, aside from the obvious? As far as Traveler knew, this was where Queen Chrysalis had sent two ponies during the royal wedding, to make sure they didn’t interfere. Though it turned out that wasn’t a very effective way of dealing with them.

Oddly enough, the walls of the mine were lined with torches. Changeling torches, seeing as they burned with green flames. It reminded Traveler of changeling hives. In fact, the only difference this mine had with a changeling hive was that the floor was perfectly smooth, as opposed to the hive’s uneven surfaces. And it didn’t have any changelings living in it.

A little bit into the mine, there were working ponies. Miners? No, they didn’t look like it. Sure, they wore hard hats and fluorescent orange jackets, but it seemed more like they were construction workers, as they had a lot more tools with them than just pickaxes.

“So, you’re just showing me a mine?” Traveler asked. He took another look at the torches and the construction workers. “A weird mine?”

“Not a mine,” Suncloak said. “This is still only the entrance. Or the entry hall, I suppose. We’re still working on it. Walls and ceiling need to be a bit more smooth. We’ll reach the main hall any second now.”

A few moments and a couple of corners later, Traveler could see a large cave chamber ahead. Purple and green lights shone from within, likely from the gems and torches inside said room. As soon as the two of them reached it, Suncloak stepped aside and motioned for Traveler to step inside.

The chamber made Traveler’s jaw drop. It was absolutely massive, filled with green torches and purple gems and strangely, a lot of construction gear. Enormous scaffolds were set up against the walls, populated by ponies and changelings, all of them digging and building. Any places that were out of reach were handled by pegasi and more changelings. Altogether, there must’ve been more than fifty changelings in the cave, who were in turn vastly outnumbered by ponies.

“What in the hive is this?!” Traveler exclaimed.

“Well, you said it yourself,” Suncloak said. “It’s a hive. Well, it’s going to be one.”

Traveler whirled around, facing Suncloak. “Are you crazy?! You’re building a hive, here?”

“Oh, relax,” Suncloak said, dismissively waving a hoof. “All requests and plans went through the appropriate channels. It’s been approved by the princesses themselves!”

“They just let you do that?” Traveler couldn’t believe it: the princesses might be just as crazy as all other ponies combined.

“The princesses are surprisingly pro-changeling,” Suncloak said. “A couple of ponies complained, but when you call it a changeling district and change the plans to match the design of Canterlot a little, most of them don’t mind anymore.”

Traveler turned around again. A hive. In Canterlot. He shook his head to make sure he wasn’t dreaming, but alas, the hive was still there. Even though it was still under construction, it already had a higher level of craftsmanship than any other hive, with smooth walls and carefully constructed roads. Though normal hives weren’t this pretty mainly because changelings didn’t care about that sort of thing. But still, a hive in Canterlot. In a short time, these changelings had accomplished something others could only dream of!

“That was the last thing I wanted to show you,” Suncloak said. “Can you see just how different life here is, compared to the old changeling hives?”

Traveler slowly nodded, turning back to Suncloak again.

“Have you decided what you’re going to do yet? Suncloak asked.

Traveler nodded again. “The way I see it, there’s two options. Either you guys are far too well off here to be involved in why I’m here, or you’re simply too crazy to be involved. I don’t know which one yet. Bottom line is, I don’t think you have anything to do with it.”

He briefly looked back at the currently being built hive. No, these changelings didn’t have any reason to steal the Evershifting Stone. What could they possibly accomplish by doing that? There was no malice directed at the Queen here, no jealousy, just a bunch of changelings living in their own, ridiculous way. Or they just weren’t sane enough to steal the Stone. “I’ll cooperate with you. But this place isn’t private enough.”

Suncloak grin was absolutely ecstatic. “Sure! We’ll talk in my office.”

Author's Note:

Note: the opinions of characters in this work do not necessarily mirror my own. It doesn't matter to me if you wear argyle turtlenecks, as it isn't a choice, but something you're born with. While I might find it gross and unnatural, I accept your fashion sense.