• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 2,753 Views, 116 Comments

Not Quite Romeo & Juliet [NaPoWriMo 2013] - Yukito



Diamond Tiara and Apple Bloom hate each other. They hate each other so much, and they don't care what their families think. They will go to any lengths to ensure they never be together.

  • ...
3
 116
 2,753

6 - Trouble Adjusting

A typical morning in Manehatten usually consisted of birds chirping in the air, the sounds of bells as papercolts passed by on their skateboards, a little yelling from the arguing couple next door or the mother and son down the street, and of course, if it was a Sunday, the loud ringing of the church bells just down the road that made Babs bury her head beneath her pillows until all was quiet once more.

“Who needs alarms?” Babs asked herself with a smirk as she dragged herself out of bed. She stumbled about on her hooves for a bit as she tried to right herself and waited for her eyes to adjust to the light. Unleashing a loud yawn, Babs turned around to face the nearby mirror, snickering at her messy appearance in the reflection. “Wow. I look like I jus’ lost a fight with a sparkplug.”

Taking off her nightgown and tossing it carelessly onto her untidy bed, Babs walked sluggishly towards her desk and picked up the brush that was laying there. She ran the brush through her mane a few times and then checked her efforts in the mirror. Still a mess, but at least now her fringe was the way she liked it. “Good enough,” she decided as she placed the brush back down and turned to leave the room. “Wonder what’s for breakfast today?”

As Babs left her room and made her way downstairs, her mind slowly started to recall the events of the previous day. In particular, two fillies who had come to her asking for a place to stay. ‘Oh shoot! I totally forgot about them! I’d better eat fast an’ go make sure they’re okay.

“Good morning,” Aunt Orange asked as she heard hoofsteps entering the kitchen behind her. “Sleep well.”

“Well enough,” Babs responded coolly as she sat down at the kitchen table. Moments later a bowl of fruit bites was placed before her, making her cringe at the healthy, not-so-tasty breakfast cereal her mother was so proud of. Before she could complain about the cereal, though, her mother had managed to sneak behind her and began working on the mess of a mane on Babs’ head. “Hey, quit it!”

“Honestly, your mane’s always such a mess, you leave your clothes just lying on the floor, and you always come home absolutely covered in mud.” Aunt Orange sighed and shook her head. “Sometime I wonder if you aren’t just a colt in disguise.”

“Maybe I am,” Babs said, squirming to try to discourage her mother from messing with her mane. It was not successful.

“So, what’s this I hear about the clubhouse being infested with bugs?” Aunt Orange asked.

Babs stopped her squirming and gulped. The lie she had told her friends the previous day to keep them away from the clubhouse was that it was suffering from a serious infestation problem, and that a couple of exterminators were cleaning the whole area for a few days.

“Ah, it’s nothin’,” Babs said. “Flitterheart’s dad’s already called in some guys to take care of it.”

“Well, I don’t want you going anywhere near it, not even after it’s been cleaned out. I want your dad to check it out first before you risk getting too close yourself.”

Babs rolled her eyes. “Mum, seriously! I’m not afraid of a few bugs!”

“I never said that you were. It’s just that I know how reckless you can be. Like the time you brought that snake home and asked us if you could keep it?”

“At least I asked,” Babs muttered.

“After we caught you,” Aunt Orange added.

“I was gonna ask anyway!” ‘Probably…

“Sure you were,” Aunt Orange replied in a disbelieving tone. “So, what have you got planned for today? Earning a Cutie Mark in scraped knees? Or seeing who can make the most holes in their brand new school uniform?”

“I’m just gonna hang out and Flitterheart’s and play some games, that’s all,” Babs answered. “The weather forecast for today is rain, right?”

“That’s right, but it will be stopping at around five. Are you going to be having dinner at your friend’s house today?”

“Nah. I’ll be back by dinner,” Babs said. ‘After all, I gotta make sure those two eat something. Speaking of, I’d better hurry and go check on ‘em.


Babs walked through the streets of Manehatten with a plastic bag containing some snacks and some drinks in her mouth. The secret clubhouse that she and her friends used was some distance away from her house, but not too far. The three of them had decided to use an abandoned warehouse that was once owned by Flitterheart’s family as their secret base, as it was an equal distance apart from all three of them, and wasn’t easy to get into. The entire section was blocked by a fence with barbed wire, but there was a small hole where a foal could sneak into the site. Of course, their parents had no idea where their ‘clubhouse’ was, just that it was in a secret location.

As Babs neared the particular room in the warehouse where all of the club meetings took place, she heard noises coming from inside.

“Stupid!” one voice shouted, followed by the sounds of bodies rolling around.

“Idiot!” the other voice shouted, followed by a battle cry.

Babs sighed and braced herself as she pushed the door open quickly. She found Diamond Tiara lying on the floor, her tiara having fallen off of her head and her mane a complete mess. On top of her was Apple Bloom, whose leg was raised in the air whilst Diamond’s own forelegs were covering her face.

“Seriously?” Babs asked. “You’re going at it this early in the mornin’?”

“She started it!” Diamond shouted as she crawled out from underneath Apple Bloom.

“No ah didn’t!” Apple Bloom protested. “Y’all kicked me, an’ it was definitely on purpose!”

“Where’s your proof?!”

“Ah’ve got yer proof right here ya-”

Babs grabbed Apple Bloom’s hoof before she could kick the pink filly and asked her to calm down. “Honestly,” Babs said as she backed away. “I know you two hate each other, but try to control yourselves a lil’ bit. What if I’d walked in while you were throwin’ kicks around an’ got caught up in it?”

“… Sorry,” Apple Bloom said quietly.

Babs simply shook her head and sighed. “… I got you both some food an’ stuff,” Babs said as she dumped the contents of her plastic bag onto the floor. “I had to buy it off of my allowance, so it’s not much.”

“Ya didn’t have ta do that!” Apple Bloom gasped. “Diamond has lots of money on her!”

“It’s cool,” Babs said, blowing her fringe out of her face. “You’re ma cousin, an’ I said I’d help ya out. And Diamond’s… well, we were friends at one point.”

Diamond harrumphed and turned her back to Babs. “Sorry, I don’t think I was ever friends with any traitors.”

“Why you little-”

Babs stopped Apple Bloom by extending a hoof in front of her. “It’s fine, cuz,” she said with a frown on her face. “I guess… there’s no chance we could go back to how we were before, huh?”

Diamond Tiara didn’t say anything. Instead, she simply reached out towards one of her bags and opened it up, taking out a bag of sweets from inside.

“So what’ve ya got planned anyway, now that you’re here?” Babs asked Apple Bloom, deciding to leave Diamond Tiara be for the time being.

“Well… ah kinda wanna send a letter back to Ponyville ta let mah family know ah’m alright,” Apple Bloom said.

“Are you crazy?” Diamond asked, snapping her attention to Apple Bloom. “If you do that, they’ll know where we are!”

“Not necessarily,” Babs cut in. “I know a colt who uses carrier pigeons ta talk with his fillyfriend in Canterlot.”

“Carrier pigeons?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Lil’ pigeons that are trained ta fly to certain places and back. You attach notes to their feet an’ the pony on the other end takes ‘em and attaches their own note.”

“Seems a little complicated just to talk to somepony,” Diamond said.

“Have ya seen the price for sending post ta Canterlot from here?” Babs asked. “Not ta mention there’s no guarantee it’ll even reach these days.”

“So ya think he’ll lemme use his carrier pigeons ta send a letter back home?” Apple Bloom asked, a hopeful smile on her face.

“I don’t see why not. He’s a pretty nice guy,” Babs said.

“Alright!” Apple Bloom cheered, jumping into the air with new-found energy and excitement. “Then what’re we waitin’ for? Let’s go see ‘im!”

“First, ya might wanna eat somethin’,” Babs said. “It’s a long walk.” Babs turned to Diamond Tiara, who was already snacking away by herself. “You wanna come along too? Send a letter to yer dad?”

Diamond shook her head and turned away with a huff. “I have nothing to say to a dad who would try to sell his daughter out like that.”

“He’s yer family!” Apple Bloom scolded. “Family should treat each other with respect an’-”

“Leave it,” Babs said, placing herself in-between the two fillies. “If ya change yer mind, Diamond, jus’ say somethin’ before we leave.”

Diamond Tiara didn’t respond. “Why’re ya defendin’ her?” Apple Bloom asked. “Don’t y’all remember how she made fun of us the last time ya met her?”

“I’m jus’ tryin’ ta keep you two from killin’ each other, that’s all,” Babs said as she sat down on her haunches. “Besides, it’s not like she was all that bad. Not ta me, at least.”

Apple Bloom joined Babs in sitting down and reached for one of the cartons of juice on the floor. “Well, whatever. ‘Least ah won’t have ta walk ‘round with her all day.”

“What’s wrong? Afraid my talent might rub off on you and finally grace you with a Cutie Mark?”

Apple Bloom clenched the juice carton in her hoof, willing herself not to instead throw it at the back of Diamond Tiara’s head. Babs looked between the two fillies and sighed. ‘This is gonna be a long day…


“Can ya believe the nerve of that pony?!” Apple Bloom shouted as she walked down the street alongside Babs Seed. “Jus’ demandin’ ta use yer shower like that!”

“It’s not a big deal,” Babs said. “Ma folks aren’t in today.”

“That’s not the point! She didn’t even say ‘please’ or ‘thank ye’.”

“Well she was a mess, after you spilled those noodles on her,” Babs pointed out.

“She started it by makin’ fun of mah friends,” Apple Bloom said. “Callin’ Scootaloo a chicken an’ Sweetie Belle a cry-baby.”

“Don’t you call Scootaloo a chicken all the time though?” Babs asked.

“That’s different! When ah do it it’s a joke, but when Diamond does it, it’s mean!”

“Er… If you say so… So, how’re ya likin’ Manehatten? Pretty different from Ponyville, huh?”

Apple Bloom nodded, looking around the street at all of the ponies passing by. “There are so many ponies. Ah bet Pinkie Pie’d have one heck of a time memorisin’ all these names.”

“Some of ‘em are jus’ passin’ through, or are jus’ here on business,” Babs told her. “If ya look real close, ya can tell who lives here an’ who’s jus’ here for a bit.”

“Really?”

Babs nodded. “Fer example, that stallion over there.” Babs pointed a hoof toward a stallion wearing a thick black cape and a black fedora hat on his head. He was carrying a suitcase and standing in line for a cab. “He’s wearing hot clothes like that even on a warm day like this. He’s probably from down south, like you, so he’s not used to the cooler weather up here.”

“Now that you mention it,” Apple Bloom said as she shivered, feeling a cool breeze brush against her coat. “How can y’all walk ‘round like that an’ not feel anything?”

“Like I said, we’re used to it up here,” Babs said. “That stallion’s also got a briefcase, but not much else, so he’s probably just here on business.” Babs noticed Apple Bloom shivering more and smiled. “Maybe we should stop an’ get you a coat or somethin’.”

“T-That’s-” Apple Bloom was about to reject the kind offer, before remembering that she had some of Diamond Tiara’s money on her in case of an emergency. “… Yeah, let’s do that. A real expensive one, too.”

Babs rolled her eyes. “We’ll jus’ get you somethin’ ta keep ya warm. That money’s for in case somethin’ bad happens.”

“Oh come on. What could possibly happen to us in the middle of the day?” Apple Bloom asked. She stopped as she caught sight of a clothing store further down the street. “Hey, race ya there! OnetwothreeGO!”

“Wha- Hey!” Babs immediately began chasing after her cousin down the street. “Cuz, wait up!” ‘Darn it! This isn’t Ponyville! It’s more dangerous ‘round these parts!


Diamond Tiara stepped out of the shower feeling refreshed and significantly calmer than earlier that morning. “Finally,” she said as she ran a hoof through her mane and sniffed it. “I thought I’d never get the stains out of there. That blank flank is going to pay for this.”

Picking up her brush and walking towards a nearby mirror, Diamond Tiara started the task of brushing her mane so that it was as elegant and as regal as its owner once more. “Can’t believe I’m living in some rundown factory in downtown Manehatten. It’s so dusty and filthy, and I have to share a room with that blank flank!

““I’ll clean it tomorrow, an’ it’ll look jus’ great!” she said. Bah! Like a pony who spends all her time playing in the dirt would know how to clean. It’s her fault I’m even in this mess! Well, hers and daddy’s! I can’t believe daddy tried to sell me out like that! Well, I’ll show him! I bet he’s worried sick about me now. Just a few weeks, and he’ll be begging for me to go back home.

“Not that I will. Not until he calls off that stupid marriage…” Diamond Tiara’s eyes fixed upon a photograph hanging on the wall behind her in the mirror’s reflection. In it was Babs Seed, looking just a little younger than her present state, and a yellow stallion with a tidy green mane. Both of them were smiling together, and looked so close…

“… Does daddy… even care about how I feel?” Diamond muttered as her brushing slowed down. “He tried to marry me to somepony without even asking how I felt. What if… What if I’m just an asset to him? Just a child he had on standby so that he could use me to boost his business?”

Diamond quickly shook her head, looking into the mirror with a determined look and speeding up her brushing once more. “What am I saying? Of course he loves me! I’m his little Princess! His…” Diamond cringed and lowered her voice as she muttered her next line. “His ‘perfect little cupcake’… He buys me all the toys I want, and takes me out to my favourite restaurant when I’m upset, and takes care of me when I’m sick!

“… And then makes promises he can’t keep because he’s ‘too busy’, and tells me he’ll be up to tuck me in then never comes, and forces me to apologise when I’ve done nothing wrong…”

Diamond Tiara threw her brush onto the floor with a tormented cry, huffing and panting as she tried to quell the raging storm in her mind. “… I need some air,” she told herself as she grabbed her coat and fastened it up. “I’m going out for a bit, daddy!”

Diamond Tiara was met with silence. She reminded herself where she was, and let out a small chuckle at her own absentmindedness. “Right. He’s not going to answer me…” Diamond took in a deep breath, willing herself to remain calm and trying to ignore the sinking feeling growing in her stomach. “I just need some air. I’ll be alright after a walk.”


“C’mon Apple Bloom,” Babs said as she looked up at the ticking clock hanging above her. “It’s getting’ late.”

“Ah’m not sure what ta say,” Apple Bloom said as she stared down at her letter-in-progress. “Ah… Ah wanna let them know ah miss ‘em, but ah don’t want ‘em ta feel sad or anythin’.”

“Then just tell them you’ve found somewhere ta stay and you’re doin’ fine!” Babs said.

“It’s not that easy!” Apple Bloom shouted. “I can’t tell them ah’m with you, but they’re mah family! They deserve ta know ah’m safe-an’-sound, but how do ah convince ‘em without tellin’ ‘em too much?!”

“Okay, okay!” Babs said as she hugged her hyperventilating cousin. “Jus’ calm down, cuz. It’s alright… I’m sorry for trying ta rush ya like that.”

Apple Bloom shook her head. “No, ah… ah jus’ don’t know what ta do…”

“… Jus’ take yer time,” Babs said. “Jus’ let ‘em know you’re alright, an’ tell ‘em how you feel. That ya don’t wanna get married, that ya miss ‘em, and that still hate Diamond Tiara. Jus’ write it all down, and I’m sure they’ll understand. They’re our family, after all.”

Apple Bloom turned to Babs with an incredulous look on her face. “F-Family…Yeah, ye’re right…” Taking a deep breath, Apple Bloom steadied her shaking hooves, and brought the quill slowly down towards the paper beneath her. “Okay, ah’m ready now.”

“… And, could ya mention that Diamond’s alright, too?”

“What?!” Apple Bloom asked. “Why should ah-”

“C’mon, cuz,” Babs said, almost in a pleading tone. “Her dad must be worried sick. Don’t ya think he deserves ta know how his daughter is doin’?”

“… Alright, fine,” Apple Bloom said as she returned to her letter. “But only for her dad’s sake, not for hers.”

Babs nodded and turned to the colt sitting behind them. “You’re sure these will reach Ponyville fine?”

The colt nodded. “I got a friend down there who I also communicate with. I’ll just ask him to pass these letters on to Apple family.”

“Okay, it’s ready,” Apple Bloom said as she read over her letter one final time. With a nod, she handed the paper to Babs, who rolled it up and gave it to the colt. “… Ah hope they’re doin’ okay…”


Diamond Tiara was in the midst of sorting through her third bag when she found it. Something that she had packed away, thinking she would need it. But now, it was causing her so much pain, so much grief, that she was biting her lip to the point of drawing blood.

A small photograph in a frame of herself, her mother, and her father. All three of them, gathered around a fireplace one Hearth’s Warming Eve, smiling towards the camera as Diamond Tiara was opening her present.

Her father was holding her up so that she could be seen by the camera’s lens, and he was smiling. He was holding her so close, and she was smiling, too.

A water droplet fell onto the picture, followed by the sound of the door opening behind her. Diamond Tiara gasped and quickly wiped her face clean.

“Why’s it so dark in here?” Apple Bloom asked as she walked inside.

Diamond hurriedly stuffed the photograph into her bag and lay down into her sleeping bag. “Because I was about to get my beauty sleep,” she said as she reached for her sleeping mask and shut off the small lamp sitting beside her. “What took you so long?”

“… Ah wasn’t sure what ta say,” Apple Bloom answered as she approached her own sleeping bag. “It took me a while before ah could finally write the letter.”

Diamond Tiara harrumphed and rolled onto her side. “You know they probably don’t care about you anyway, right?”

“What was that?!”

“They tried to marry you off to somepony you don’t even like, and wouldn’t listen to how you felt at all.”

“That… That might be true, but… but they still love me!” The witty comeback that Apple Bloom was expecting from Diamond Tiara never came. She stayed silent for a more moments more, but nothing. “… Ah’m goin’ ta sleep,” she said as she threw herself down onto her side, closing up her sleeping bag and rolling around to get comfortable.

Meanwhile, Diamond Tiara had already rolled onto her front and buried her face into her pillow, hoping to muffle the silent hiccups escaping her lips. ‘R-Right. Daddy still loves me. Of course he d-does…