• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 2,806 Views, 204 Comments

In The Twilight of Harmony’s End - Leonofsweden



Shortly after being crowned princess, Twilight wakes up to find a returned Nightmare. Though it's new guise is familiar, it is unexpected. Until Twilight walks the path that led her friend to Nightmare's side.

  • ...
20
 204
 2,806

Chapter 1 The Beginning of The End

In The Twilight of Harmony’s End
Chapter 1
The Beginning of The End

****

Twilight's skull was pounding, she couldn't remember any time it had hurt as much as it did right now. With a pained grunt she pushed herself up on her hooves, only to halt as she heard the rattle of chains around her.

Hissing harshly while she forced her eyes open, she looked down to see a chain curling up towards her neck where it was secured to an iron collar. Reaching for her magic to remove the cursed thing, her wings flared out and she cried out in agony as even more pain shot through her skull.

“You probably shouldn't do that… Those black crystals embedded in your horn don't react kindly to magic after all.” Twilight heard a somewhat familiar but still strange voice tell her before emitting a soft chuckling. Gritting her teeth, Twilight opened her eyes again. Looking up at her lavender horn, she could see that it was more or less completely covered in the same sort of crystals that had nullified Shining Armor’s magic in the Crystal Empire during King Sombra’s attempt to retake it. Twilight felt a shiver run down her spine when she understood what kind of predicament she found herself in. She was trapped, with no way of using her magic.

“Who… Who's there?” She managed to utter. The sporadic chuckling died away immediately and an eerie quiet fell over the dark room. Finally, just when she began to think whoever it was wouldn't answer, the hauntingly familiar voice came back.

“We are somepony you six have hurt worse than any of you can comprehend, oh thee faithful student of the light…” The voice hissed out. Finally Twilight thought that she recognized it. With a gasp she forced herself to stand up and struggled against the chain that was securing her to the floor.

“Nightmare Moon! How? How can you be here? We freed Luna from you! How can you have taken her over again!!!” Twilight yelled desperately into the darkness. A cold laughter emitted from Twilight's left side making her twirl in that direction.

“Luna? Oh no little one… I have no interest in that pathetic little wimp! My new host has made this much more personal between the nine of us!” Nightmare’s voice hissed out angrily. Twilight blinked in confusion while she peered around.

“What do you mean?” She asked. Nightmare chuckled at her.

“You didn't think you were here alone did you?” Nightmare wondered sarcastically as five pillars of light flared into existence. Twilight immediately clinched her eyes shut against the searing pain that the light caused her unprepared eyes. When she was finally able to open them, Twilight could to her horror see all of her friends unconscious and chained up around her.

“No…” Twilight whispered as she took in the state her friends were in.

Rarity was closest to her on her left side. Her horn had been similarly treated as Twilight's own, but then their predicaments differed greatly. Rarity’s pristine white coat was marred by the muck and filth she was chained down into, a stinking and oozing cesspool of mud and Celestia knows what else. And there in that muck, prim and proper Rarity was trapped and unconscious or... sleeping? She was lying on her side, only alive because her head was resting on a hard slimy rock in the middle of the cesspool, keeping her rasping airways above the pungent surface.

Twilight turned to the right, her horrified eyes falling on Applejack who's head and front hooves were locked in a stockade, completely immobilizing the mare even if she hadn't been unconscious. The tightness around her throat was made perfectly clear by the struggling breath escaping from her while she hung their limply. But apart from this, Applejack seemed to have been spared much of the humiliation Rarity was suffering for some reason.

Next to Applejack was a very tiny animal cage. A small piece of flowing pink mane was all that could be seen sticking out from the cramped compartment. Also, a few yellow feathers were lying in front of it, giving clear indication as to who had been stuffed into its restricted interior. Two bowls, one with food and one with water, could also be seen outside of the cage. Clearly it was meant to be visible but not reachable to Fluttershy inside of the cramped cage.

As Twilight looked back towards her left she could see that she was not the only one who was awake. Pinkie Pie was sitting inside of what looked like a crystal cube, her mane hanging flat and limply down the side of her face while she sat shivering in the middle of the cube. Pinkie hadn't so much as glanced over towards her friends, which made Twilight suspect that she couldn't see or hear anything outside of the strange cube at all. This was when Twilight realized she couldn't see Rainbow Dash anywhere. Twilight spun around several times trying to locate her. When she didn’t, she felt a small hope that perhaps Rainbow had escaped the predicament Twilight and the rest of her friends found themselves in, and therefore was most likely on her way to rescue them right now. As if she had read her thoughts, Nightmare’s low chuckling could be heard again.

“Look above you my dear princess.” Nightmares voice cooed sweetly. And as Twilight did just that her eyes became pin pricks as they locked onto Rainbow where she hung suspended in the air by several chains that were cruelly digging into her flesh. The chains were tightly wrapped around her torso and limbs several times before shooting off into different directions in the darkness. Her head was hanging down against her chest while Rainbow was spread out as if she was doing one of her famous victory poses. Twilight's lower lip quivered while she once again took in the state of her friends.

“Why? Why did you do this?” Twilight squeaked out in desperation. Hooves clopping against the ground could be heard off in the distant darkness, and then two turquoise dragon eyes opened up just outside the reach of the light, glaring back at Twilight.

“Because we both hate you six so much we don't want to kill you right away… Do you fools have any idea how much it hurt to be ripped apart by the elements of harmony? Or did you six deceive yourselves into thinking it was all TINGLY and NICE for me?!” Nightmares venomous voice yelled out of the darkness.

“What?… No… It was not supposed to-”

“And who told you that?! Princess Celestia? Ha! Gullible fools, why did you think I was screaming the whole while? Because it felt so good…” Nightmare said sarcastically. Twilight took a few quick breaths and made the calming gesture Cadence had shown her before. She managed to gather herself again. Her eyes snapped open and she glared back at Nightmare.

“You won't get away with this Nightmare! The princesses will find us, and your eternal night will be brought to a stop!” Twilight declared confidently, standing up with her back straight. A manic chuckle echoed through the dark chamber, and beneath the two turquoise eyes a vicious smile spread wide.

“Eternal night? I want no such nonsense this time. That was all Luna and her pathetic temper tantrum against Celestia. My new host had no such wishes, her hopes and dreams were so much more… manageable. And still the six of you failed her utterly in those easy regards. When she found me…… I thought I had reasons to hate you before, but now I truly loathe you!” Nightmare hissed. Twilight backed up until the chain went taught at this surprising accusation from Nightmare.

“Wait, what? Who did you trick into being your host this time?” Twilight wondered out loud. Nightmare laughed again.

“That's the thing! I didn't trick her, all I had to do was tell her the truth and she joined me willingly! She even laughed with joy as we became one! I have never been so completely bonded to a host before; you can even say we have truly become one. I can use far more of my true power through her than I ever could through Luna!” Nightmare said joyously. Twilight eyes turned to pin pricks at the revelation.

“No… We… We will still stop you! The princesses will still stop you! There is no way you can beat all of them at once!” Twilight now screamed back in defiance. Nightmare tilted her head for a moment, seemingly in deep thought, then nodded.

“Most likely a true scenario. Although… I didn't go after all at once, that would just be idiotic, and I'm not you after all Twilight.” Nightmare said. Suddenly, a metallic sound resounded in the darkness and Princess Cadence’s little golden crown came sliding towards Twilight, stopping just in front of her hooves. As Twilight realized what it was her whole chest felt like it was being squeezed mercilessly. She tried to cry out but not a sound came through her constricting throat. She gasped and wheezed as she tried to catch her breath.

“Little darling Cadence is rather poetically trapped in crystal atop that tower of hers in the crystal empire. But don't worry, she's not alone. After all her idiot husband is right there with her. Cadence should probably be fine, being immortal and all, although your idiot brother probably suffocated about two months ago when I trapped them there.” Nightmare said coldly.

“No… Shining…” Twilight squeaked out and started pulling and tugging desperately at the chain that still secured her firmly where she was.

“NO! NO! NOOOOOO!!!” She yelled as she continued to struggle more and more frantically while Nightmare stayed where she was looking at Twilight with pleasure. When Twilight finally collapsed after several minutes of fruitless attempts at breaking the chain, she looked up at Nightmare with tears running from her eyes, but the emotions behind them were now anger and hate. Black magic starting to seep in wisps from the corner of her eyes together with her tears.

“Good…” Nightmare whispered to herself as she saw the change in Twilight.

“I must unfortunately say that they put up a pathetically weak fight to stop me. Blasting me with love? Humph… Do I look like a changeling? Stupid mare, leaving her to watch her beloved slowly rot in front of her eyes was almost too kind.” Nightmares spat. Twilight gritted her teeth while anger started to boil within her.

“You won't get away with this! We'll fight you! Celestia and Luna will still defeat you, I swear it!” Twilight yelled.

“I guess they could be a problem… Although who would Celestia send to investigate what happened at the Crystal Empire when she couldn't find you I wonder? Hmmm, wouldn't that be… Luna wouldn’t it? And as she went there she would probably meet me coming the other way, and she would be more or less all alone to face me then…” The ringing sound that could be heard as Princess Luna's black crown landed in front of Twilight's hooves was deafening.

“At least she had a few good years before I sent her back to the moon.” Nightmare said and chuckled merrily. Twilight's jaw was now hanging open in complete disbelief.

“And before you start yelling at me about Celestia…” Another metallic clang sounded as Celestia’s crown landed beside Luna’s.

“I guess you finally understand your predicament. Cadence is locked away in the Crystal Empire; Luna is bound to the moon and Celestia to the sun.” Nightmare said. Twilight just stood there staring emptily out into nothing, her eyes glossy and empty.

“This… This is impossible… This can't be happening… This is just a bad dream!” Twilight shouted at the top of her lungs.

“Yes that's it! This is just a dream, a nightmare!” Twilight said with a desperate laughter.

“Oh really, come now Twilight. If this was just your nightmare as you claim, then why am I not acting the way I'm supposed to act according to you? Why haven't I ushered in an eternal night again? Moreover, why aren’t any of the dream weaving spells you learned from Luna working?” Nightmare said in a condescending tone. Twilight's eyes grew wide as she realized she truly had no control over anything in her surroundings. None of the mental exercises or spells she reached for were working, which was impossible unless… she was awake!

“NOOOOOO!!!” Twilight cried out and broke down sobbing. The leering smile that met her as she raised her gaze again made her anger explode. She charged straight at Nightmare screaming until the chain snapped taut and she was yanked back, landing painfully on her wings in a loud crash. Twilight reached up to the collar around her throat, gasping painfully where she lay. All the while Nightmare was laughing happily. Twilight forced herself up on her hooves again and glared over at Nightmare.

“Stop it! Show yourself you coward!!! Who did you possess! Who hated us so much as to give up herself for you! There is no one who’s that stupid! Unless… Trixie?!” Twilight spat the name out thinking that was the only logical choice. There was utter silence, and then a barking laugh filled the chambers.

“Oh Twilight you are such a laugh! I will enjoy making the six of you my willing servants. You especially though, that was after all one of my conditions in the bargain I made with my host. Although when I said I wanted you, she made the suggestion we get the rest of your happy little gang as well. And I must say that turned out wonderfully.” Nightmare said.

“I know…” Twilight then heard a very different yet familiar voice say, and it made a chill run down her spine because she instantly recognise it.

“No… It can be… you said your host hated us! There's no way she hates us! After all we've done for her! You're lying as always Nightmare! There's no way she could ever hate-”

“You six?! What have you ever done for me! TELL ME!!!” The shrill voice cried out furiously.

“Scootaloo we have… We are your friends aren't we? We will always help you, even now; we have always loved you Scootaloo.” Twilight said pleadingly.

Nightmare, or as it turned out, Scootaloo, stepped out of the darkness revealing that she was… herself? She looked the same; still the cute little filly Twilight had seen buzzing around Ponyville on her scooter for the last three years. At least until Twilight meet her eyes, which were most definitely Nightmare’s draconic eyes. And as Scootaloo smiled up at Twilight, she could see fangs protruding from beneath the filly’s lips.

“You are my friends? Really? Don't make me laugh.” Scootaloo said with a venomous voice Twilight had never heard from her.

“Of course we are Scootaloo, you-”

“So when was the last time you visited me at the orphanage?” Scootaloo wondered. Twilight blinked a couple of times.

“What?” She blurted out.

“Oh, you didn't even know that did you? It's perfectly understandable I guess. You have only been in Ponyville for... three years now, is it? Friends indeed…” Scootaloo said venomously, starting to walk around Twilight in a very predatory manner.

“No, Scootaloo, you have to believe me, all six of us are your friends.” Twilight said with intensity, trying to make the filly see the error of her ways. Scootaloo just arched an eyebrow at her.

“Really? Are you willing to bet your life on that statement?” Before Twilight had a chance to answer, Nightmare’s voice sounded from Scootaloo’s mouth.

“No, I won't allow you to kill her, she's mine!” It hissed warningly. Scootaloo’s face scowled up as if she had been denied a cookie, before giving an irritated huff.

“Okay… I won't break any of the toys… Again…” She said forlornly while scoffing one of her hooves against the ground. Twilight just stared at the little orange filly with wide eyes. Had Nightmare, the queen of the darkness and epitome of pure evil, just protected her from Scootaloo?

No that's just ridiculous! Twilight thought even more desperately, but the way the filly was looking at her was now making her entire being crawl. Then Scootaloo shawn up happily, a wide grin spreading on her face.

“I guess I do owe you an explanation! How about I show you the last week of my old life before I disappeared that night? Then I will ask you if any of you six truly are my friends.” Scootaloo said still grinning before she closed her eyes and started to transform.

She grew a little bit but not too much; it was still easy to see she was a filly. Her wings though… They filled out, grew larger, wider and more powerful. Then a horn started to protrude from Scootaloo’s forehead. The wings started to shift in color so that the leading edge was ebony black and then slowly faded to Orange at the back. Silver shoes encased Scootaloo’s hooves and the fur started turning black. But once again it slowly shifted towards orange the further up the leg one looked. The quite impressive horn that now protruded from Scootaloo’s forehead was also obsidian black at the tip but orange at the base. There was now also a very familiar helm covering much of Scootaloo’s head. As she opened her eyes Twilight could see that they were still Nightmare’s draconic eyes, but they now had streaks of Scootaloo’s violet running through them. With a wicked smile she spoke in a voice that was now neither Nightmare or Scootaloo’s own, but something new; as if the two had truly melted together into one being.

“Don't look so shocked my dear little Twilight. This is my true form now, and isn’t it lovely? I told you, I have grown closer to Scootaloo than I have with anyone ever before. We are truly one and the same in this form, and thus my name is not Nightmare or Scootaloo anymore… I'm Void now, because that is all that has ever been given to me… nothing…” Void said, the last word coming out only as a hiss. She moved in on Twilight who immediately scrambled back until the chain once again grew taught. She stared in horror as Void closed in on her with a snarl. Void’s hoof struck Twilight over the face, sending her to the ground with a cry. There a hoof immediately pressed down, securing her where she lay. Twilight looked up at what had once been what she thought was a joyous little filly named Scootaloo, tears once again flowed from Twilight's eyes.

“Please don't do this Scoota-” Twilight was cut off by a harsh kick to her stomach which made her gasp for air.

“I told you princess… It's Void now, because that’s all that's left of my feelings after you six showed what you truly thought of me… But still I'm not heartless, I will tell you what you want to know, why your friend Scootaloo chose to become me, and why it is entirely your own fault your world has come to an end.” Void said with a grin as her horn lit up. She bent down and pressed it to the side of Twilight’s head. At once, memories not her own started to flood her mind. Her eyes grew wide while she started to live through them as if they were her own, and it wasn't long before she was crying hysterically.

“No! NO! By Celestia NO!” Twilight yelled at the images and feelings of despair and loneliness that flashed through her mind.

“Come on Twilight! It can't be that bad! It's just my life after all! I was living through this every Celestia forsaking day! When you're done with this you'll only have lived through one measly week of my miserable existence! So suck it up!!!” Void snarled down at the frantically crying Alicorn. Twilight’s eyes rolled up into the back of her head as she started to fall even deeper into the memories. Void grinned widely as she pressed the mare down into the despair of her old life, drowning the princess of magic even deeper in the harsh sadness and loneliness Twilight had gone through her days happily oblivious to, while Scootaloo had to suffer on in obscurity.

“Now you will know, I will make you feel everything!” Void cried out as the spell took full effect and Twilight’s consciousness fell completely down into the memories of Scootaloo’s former life. Void stared down at the now unconscious Twilight. She didn't know how long this spell would last. Twilight could live through the week in a mere minute, or it could take an actual week, or more. It was always so hard to predict how dreams progressed. But still she was content to wait.

“Now you will know how it truly feels to be completely alone in the middle of every pony in Ponyville…” Void whispered as she turned and walked away from Twilight who had just started crying in her sleep.

“Please… no… please listen… you don't understand… please… help me…” Twilight whimpered where she lay fidgeting as she dreamt that she was what she thought was the happy little filly Scootaloo.

****

Thanks to Pen Perfect for the Pre-read/Edit

Author's Note:

Here's a news story idea that been scrambling about in my skull ever since I saw the animated preview of season four, where it is made a 100% clear that Scootaloo can't fly, and then the scene where Luna turns into Nightmare Moon. And I thought to myself… is there a logical way to make those two join forces somehow, while keeping the main six within character? This will be my attempt to make just that happen.

And everyone who's waiting for a new chapter of True Black and A Different Kind of Music, I do have to apologies a bit to you. This idea has been rattling around in my brain and quite literally blocked every attempt for me to write on the other two stories. So I thought; Buck it!!! I'll put this idea on the screen so I can get it out of my head! And then I'll hopefully be able to go back to working on the other stories as well.

I hope you guys don't mind too much, so in the meantime have a nice one!!! ^^