• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 20,185 Views, 1,010 Comments

Feeling Pinkie Mean - RainbowBob



Sombra has met his match, literally.

  • ...
42
 1,010
 20,185

Chapter 5: Trot Around Town

“Come on, Sombry, hurry up!” Pinkie called over her shoulder, joyously bouncing ahead of the miserable unicorn king with her usual disposition of happiness. “You gotta get up and move.”

“I hate you, I hate this town, I hate Equestria, and I hate this planet,” Sombra muttered darkly, glaring at his surroundings with his head close to the ground. Despite his curses, he kept on trudging along behind her. He didn’t know anywhere else to go, nor anything else about the town for that matter. Escape was out of the question because of Twilight’s insufferable magical marker planted on himself that would set off if he so much as stepped out of town. So Sombra was stuck, with a constantly sugarhigh mare as his guide. “I hate my life,” Sombra concluded, sulking even lower to the ground.

“Oh, stop being a stick in the mud,” Pinkie said, suddenly bumping noses with him. “I mean, look at the scenery!” Pinkie waved her hoof in a long arch, showing off Ponyville to the depressive ex-tyrant. “We have buildings, happy ponies going about their business, and sunshine all day long! What can be better than that?”

“If those buildings were dungeons, those ponies were miserable slaves bent to my will, and the sunny days shrouded in darkness,” Sombra said, pushing her face away from his nasal cavity. “That would be way better.”

“You’re just too pessimistic,” Pinkie said, dragging him by his hoof. “Try looking on the brighter side of things.”

“What bright side?” Sombra snarled, swiping his hoof from her grip. “I’m trapped in this deadbeat town filled with oppressive ponies, when I should be back ruling my Empire and taking over the world like I was meant to!”

Pinkie booped him on the nose. “Silly, taking over the world is no fun. What you need to do is enjoy life and not care about global domination or tyranny. Why not have some fun? We can go for a walk, talk to some other ponies, and even go out for lunch!”

“Cease touching my face with your vile hooves!” Sombra shouted, backing away from the pink menace. Wiping his nose with his cape, he muttered, “There is nothing fun about any of those things! I’d rather be burning in the deepest pit of Tartarus than partake in one of those infernal activities!”

“Ooh, there’s Lyra and Bon Bon!” Pinkie said, pointing her hoof at a bench where a mint green unicorn sat and cream colored mare laid. “Let’s go say hello!”

“Did you not just hear me less than five seconds ago?” Sombra asked, question disregarded as Pinkie dragged him begrudgingly to the mares.

“Hey girls!” Pinkie called out to the pair, appearing before them with Sombra hooked around her arm. “Say hi to my buddy Sombry!”

“It’s Sombra, you idiotic twit!” Sombra replied, shoving her off himself. He scowled at the mares, his green glowing eyes taking on a malicious glare.

Bonbon and Lyra stared wide-eyed at Sombra, out of fear and curiosity, respectively.

“Whoa, dude, your horn looks funny,” Lyra said, holding back a chuckle. “How’d you get it to curve like that? I’m guessing you used hoofpolish to make it red?”

“What? No! My horn is merely a representation of my descent in the dark arts of magic, which have fueled my power to newfound levels of destruction!” Sombra replied, adding a rather typical villainous laugh at the end.

“Whoa, you gotta teach me how to do that!” Lyra begged, poking at her own horn that looked rather unimpressive compared to Sombra’s. “Can I get mine in blue and into a wave design?”

“Um, Lyra, I think that’s a bad idea,” Bon Bon warned, scooting away in her seat from the menacing figure that was Sombra.

“But Bon Bon, it’d be so awesome!” Lyra said, clopping her hooves together. “If I can get my horn into a loop, I can use it as a cupholder! Wouldn’t that be rad?”

Sombra snarled. “That is not what the dark arts are for! Making your horn into a device to hold drinks is not a practical means for performing dark magic!”

“Then why do you get to use it to make your horn into a… um…” Lyra tapped her chin and shrugged. “Claw, I guess?”

“I always thought it was a dragon’s fang,” Pinkie added on, rubbing Sombra’s horn and giggling mischievously.

“Then why did he dye it red?” Bon Bon asked, joining with the others in curiousity of Sombra’s horn.

“Well duh, because red is cool!” Lyra replied.

While the mares continued to argue back and forth over why Sombra’s horn was such an oddity, Sombra himself fumed in quiet anger. Pinkie Pie’s constant rubbing of his horn was irking him to no end. This all built up to a certain point until he finally snapped.

“Will you bickering mares shut up already!” he shouted, the air humming from an unknown source of energy. “My horn is a reflection of the inner darkness and evil of my heart! Evil! Not for some fashion statement or some other moronic reason you harpies can think of! So shut your witless mouths about such topics as my horn!”

Lyra, Pinkie and Bon Bon remained silent for a few seconds, staring at Sombra with peculiar expressions. The dark king smiled, victorious in his endeavor of making the mares quiet themselves.

“Ooh, I got it!” Lyra said, breaking the silence and Sombra’s smugness. “I can get mine in a spoon!”

“Now, why would you ever get your horn into a spoon?” Bon Bon asked, shaking her head disappointingly. “For one thing, you already have magic to control a spoon, along with your hooves at that. Plus, how would you even get the food into your mouth if the spoon is on your head?”

“You’re just jealous because I’m getting a spoon on my head and you’re not,” Lyra taunted, sticking her tongue out at her friend.

Bon Bon rolled her eyes. “Oh, for sure. I always wanted silverware lodged on my cranium.”

Throughout the entire intolerable discussion Lyra and Bon Bon were having, Sombra’s left eye twitched as he felt a growing force build up in his chest, until he finally exploded. “You mares are impossible!” Sombra yelled, interrupting the pair. “Is all you females do bicker and talk? How is anypony supposed to follow a conversation while their ears bleed from your incessant chatter?”

“Sheesh, look at try-hard here with all the fancy vocabulary,” Lyra said with a laugh, nudging Bon Bon with her elbow to do the same.

Gritting his sharp teeth as a vein bulged in his temple, Sombra attempted to control his quickly building anger.

It was a vain attempt.

“Why you little–”

Sombra never got to start his tirade, for Pinkie was pushing him away from the mares with a hasty wave over her shoulder. “Well, it’s been great seeing you two, but me and Sombry have to go!”

“No, let me go! I must destroy them!” Sombra argued, dragging his hooves through the earth as Pinkie pushed him away. “I shall crush their useless heads and break their bones underneath my hooves as I bend them to my dark will. Fear shall consume your souls as I make you slaves to my magic! Live in terror while you can, for you haven’t even experienced true torment until I get my hooves on you!”

“But wait, what about changing my horn!” Lyra asked, her question lost as the two made a swift retreat. “Aww man.”

“Well, at least they make a cute couple,” Bon Bon noted, smiling a bit. “Though I never knew Pinkie to go for a stallion so… robust.”

“I think the word you’re looking for is obnoxious,” Lyra said, sulking in her seat. Rubbing at her horn, she sighed and said, “Still… a cupholder would’ve been pretty rad.”

In the distance, Sombra was continued being pushed along by Pinkie, a pile of dirt building up at his hooves as he was dragged through town. Stepping to the side and shoving Pinkie off his person, Sombra said, “Get off of me, vile mare! A stallion of my stature shall not tolerate being roughly handled by anyone.”

“But I had to get us out of there before you started calling Bon Bon and Lyra names,” Pinkie pointed out, staring unamused for once at Sombra. “You Pinkie Promised not to insult anyone while outside, and I intend to make you keep that promise.”

“Or what? Lock me up in the basement again? Be in my company for hours on end?” Sombra asked in a mocking tone, scoffing as he turned away. “If so, then breaking this Pinkie Promise of yours would be an uneventful threat that I am not fearful of in the slightest.”

Before Pinkie could respond with a list of the ramifications of breaking a Pinkie Promise, a more pressing concern became apparent in the form of Roseluck waving her hoof at her down the street.

“Ooh, another new pony for you to meet!” Pinkie said excitedly, already racing to her target while tugging Sombra along by his hoof.

Sombra followed, for the most part because she had a surprisingly strong grip, and because he didn’t have anything else better to do. Ponyville was still a strange place, and him being stuck in an abyss of eternal darkness for nearly a millennia pretty much made anything he was seeing now a whole new experience to deal with.

“Pinkie, so glad to see you again!” Roseluck greeted her, the mare smiling cheerfully at the duo. “Oh, and who’s your friend here?”

“This is Sombry,” Pinkie replied, hugging Sombra in a tight grip that closed off the oxygen supply to his lungs. “He’s new and town and I’m giving him a tour!”

“Well then, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Sombry,” Roseluck said, holding out a pale yellow hoof to the stallion.

Sombra looked at the hoof, then back to the face of the raspberry maned mare, then back to the hoof again. “My name is Sombra, not whatever ridiculous nickname the pink one sputters on about,” Sombra said, ignoring to respond to outreached hoof in any way.

“Oh, well, it’s still a pleasure,” Roseluck said awkwardly, returning her hoof to the ground. Giving him a quick once over, Roseluck raised a brow and asked, “Sorry for asking, but are you from Canterlot perhaps? Your outfit isn’t really… local.”

“Actually, how do you have clothes?” Pinkie added on, tugging at his red velvet cape and bringing it closer to inspect. “I don’t think Twilight gave you any.”

“When my body regenerated, my clothes did too,” Sombra replied, pulling back his cape from Pinkie’s hooves.

“But–”

“It’s magic. Better to be ignorant like you usually are and not question it.”

“Um, sorry for the interruption, but I feel like I need to ask something,” Roseluck said, glancing side to side from Pinkie to Sombra. “Where exactly are you from, Sombra?”

“Crystal Empire,” Sombra answered, standing up just a bit more straight and proud. “I’m actually it’s ruler. Don’t believe the lies those pretenders on the throne tell you. The empire is rightfully mine, and once I acquire my full power I shall crush that current royalty and annihilate any of the resistance. The empire shall once more stand up ever powerful over all other nations and be a true power to fear throughout the lands!”

“Um… okay then,” Roseluck muttered, backing away slightly from the crazed stallion. “A simple location would’ve been fine.”

“Oh, Sombry here just likes going on and on about himself,” Pinkie said, giving a supporting pat on Sombra’s back. “He can just go for hours on end without a break.”

“Heh, just like you, I suppose,” Roseluck chuckled uneasily, Sombra’s glowing green gaze unnerving her a bit.

“There is nothing me and this incomprehensible, pathetic excuse for a barely working brain have in common,” Sombra said, pointing to Pinkie Pie.

“Ooh, we both like chocolate!” Pinkie readily reminded him, Sombra facehoofing in response.

“That’s not what I meant!”

Roseluck giggled, moving around the pair to front down the street. “Well, I just wanted to say hello. Was a pleasure seeing you, Pinkie, and you as well, Sombra,” Roseluck said before passing by. “What a cute couple,” Roseluck said, far enough away that neither Sombra and Pinkie Pie heard her.

“So, do you like vanilla, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, watermelons, mangoes, avocadoes, pancakes, waffles, apples, cake?” Pinkie asked, drawing in a breath before she went into stage two of her tirade of questions.

Sombra pulled at his sideburns until they threatened to tear off. “Is there any end to this torture?”