• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 11,994 Views, 1,810 Comments

A New Home III: The Quest for the Lost Locket - APoeticHeart



Toby is suddenly teleported to the Equestria Girls Universe in search of his missing locket.

  • ...
23
 1,810
 11,994

Chapter 18: Back to Normal/Lurking Darkness

As morning arrived in the Crystal Empire, Rarity started to stir in her sleep after a peaceful slumber the previous night. A light yawn escaped her lips as she stretched out her legs and used her magic to remove her sleeping mask. She blinked her sapphire eyes open and carefully climbed out of the bed arching her back and flicking her tail.

Beaming through the balcony window, the sun of Princess Celestia showered Rarity with warmth and comfort. A smile crept across her muzzle as she trotted over to the window and opened it with her magic so she could trot out onto the balcony. The calm, morning breeze blew against her fur and she closed her eyes peacefully at the comfortable feeling.

She inhaled deeply the fresh morning air Ah… what a wonderful morning it is today, and tonight my darling of a nephew will finally return home where he belongs. I’ve got to try and create something very special for Toby. Hmm… maybe I could make him a new outfit, or maybe make something special out of my gem collection. She placed a hoof against her chin as she looked up at the clear, blue sky.

“Um… Rarity… could I maybe speak with you for a moment… um… if you aren’t too busy?” Rarity smirked softly as she heard the voice of Fluttershy and turned around to see the timid Pegasus standing in the doorway of her room.

She trotted back inside from the balcony “Good morning Fluttershy darling. Of course dear, you know you can talk to me about anything.” She gave Fluttershy a warm smile and trotted up to her “In fact, I was planning on going to the dining hall and fix some morning tea, would you like to join me, and we could discuss what’s on your mind?”

Fluttershy gave a light smile and nod “Um… that sounds okay with me Rarity.”

“Oh that is fabulous darling. Let’s also see if any pony else is awake.” Rarity smiled as she trotted beside Fluttershy toward the dining hall.


Just on the outskirts of the empire slept Nikolai and Riley. After being chased by the crystal mare whose cat the wolf chased after, Nikolai found a place within the woods for them to take refuge. He stirred in his sleep when he felt something soft and moist brush against his cheek.

He clenched his eyes tight at the touch “Riley, not now, it’s too early go back to sleep.” He grumbled in his sleep as Riley let out a bark. Nikolai shot up “Riley, I said not…” He immediately silenced himself when he looked to see Riley, not as a human, but as a wolf again.

“Riley, you’re back to normal!” A beaming smile crept across the usual serious man as he hugged his wolf companion tightly around the neck. Riley barked happily, wagged his tail, and licked repeatedly at his friend’s face. Nikolai chuckled at the licking “This is great buddy, but I don’t understand. I thought the changes are supposed to last until Toby returned home.” The two looked at each other confused as a voice would cut through the silence, causing the two to jump a bit.

“Precisely my friends, but I believe the princesses had something to do with this.” In a flash, Discord appeared in his original draconequus form. A smirk crept across his face as he held out his lion arm and with a snap of his fingers a puffy pink cloud appeared and chocolate rain started pouring. With a snap of his talons he made a glass appear and filled it up with chocolate milk.

Nikolai and Riley just rolled their eyes at the draconequus “Discord, it looks like that you’re back to your normal chaos making self.” The human chuckled.

Discord simply held up his glass of chocolate milk and wiggled his pinkie “You bet my dear human chum. It feels fantastic to finally be so chaotic again!” The smirk on his muzzle grew as he let out a joyful cackle. He looks to see if the two companions were watching him, and they were just looking at him with arched eyebrows. His arms slowly fell to his side and he just let out a heavy sigh “Never mind. Shall we go to the castle and see what our dear princesses have done?”

“That sounds like a good plan.” Nikolai looked toward Riley “Doesn’t that sound like a good plan to you buddy?” The wolf simply responded by licking over Nikolai’s face, causing the human to chuckle light – heartedly. Discord shook his head and decided to pad along the ground as he followed behind the duo.


Inside the castle, in is normal satyr form, Kevin decided to trot toward Princess Cadence’s and Prince Shining Armor’s room to see if they would allow him to stay in the Crystal Empire. As he approached the bedroom door he took in a deep breath C’mon Kevin, don’t be nervous. Just ask them if you can live here, and if they say no I will just thank them for their hospitality and continue my journey. He watched as the door open to reveal Cadence.

A warm smile spread across her muzzle “Good morning Kevin. Ah … I see that the spell worked and you’re back to normal!” She clapped her hooves together, and then calmed herself “Anyways, what brings you here? Is there something you need?”

Shining Armor trotted up from behind his wife, letting out a loud and exaggerated yawn “Hey bud, what’s on your mind?” He gave a smirk as he rubbed the back of his head with a hoof.

Kevin looked at the two with a nervous smile “Well Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor, after traveling around Equestria since childhood, I finally found that the Crystal Empire is a good place to settle down at. My request is if I could maybe live here in your empire?” He gave a hopeful smile “If you two say no, I will understand. I will just continue on my way and…”

Cadence suddenly placed a hoof on his muzzle to shush him. After he quieted down Cadence laughed “Oh dear Kevin, of course you can stay here in the Crystal Empire. We would be more than honored to have you live here, isn’t that right honey?” She turned toward Shining.

The stallion nodded “Of course we would.” A smirk crept across his muzzle “And after hearing about the fighting skills you have when faced with the changelings, I’ve been thinking about letting you become a part of the royal guard here. How does that sound Kevin?”

“Oh gosh your highness, that sounds like such an important role to take on, but I would be honored to.” He gave them a confident smile.

With a firm nod Shining reached out a hoof “Well Kevin, it’s good to have you as a soldier and when my nephew returns home, we shall start your training. Do you think you can do it?” He raised an eyebrow at the satyr.

Kevin reached out and shook Shining’s hoof firmly “You bet your highness. I will be the best and hardest working soldier you have, I promise. “

Princess Cadence beamed with joy and clapped her hooves together “This is so exciting having a new resident of the empire. We will get you situated with a place to stay as well Kevin.” She gave him a warm smile.

Kevin simply nodded his head “Well thank you your highness, I truly appreciate that. “ He turned to trot away “I’m going to go to the dining hall to see what’s for breakfast, would you two like to join me?”

“That is a very kind offer Kevin, but Shining and I have do a couple things to do first, and then we’ll join you and every pony at breakfast.” Cadence gave him a warm smile.

“That sounds good with me. I’ll let everyone know that you’ll be attending breakfast soon.” Kevin gave a salute of his hand and turned to trot away toward the dining hall.


Down the hall in the room shared by the Riches and Silver Spoon, Diamond Tiara was in adulation that her tiara was back on her head. She maneuvered her head in different poses and motions just taking in the sight of her beautiful headwear. Puffing up her mane with a hoof she spoke into the mirror directing her conversation to Silver Spoon “You know Silver it finally feels good to have my tiara where it belongs.”

A giggle escaped Diamond’s lips, but as she turned to look at her friend Silver was rummaging through her saddlebags. Diamond stood in pure confusion as articles of clothing were being tossed about, bits falling to the floor, and the sound of Silver Spoon letting out a grunt. Scratching the back of her head with a hoof, Diamond walked over to her “Uh… Silver what in the wide world of Equestria are you doing?”

Letting out a heavy sigh, the grey toned filly looked up from her saddlebag with her glasses tilted to one side. She reached up a hoof to straighten and looked at Diamond with worry “Diamond, I want to have something nice to wear with my dear little sweetie pie returns! I can’t seem to find anything.” She face hoofed, and then looked at Diamond with a hopeful smile “Diamond, do you think I could wear something of yours?”

Diamond rolled her eyes “Silver, you know you don’t have to wear anything nice for Toby to be impressed. All you have to be is yourself, because he loves you for you, you know that. Besides, I only packed my swimsuit when we went to Las Pegasus, remember?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, you’re right Diamond. I shouldn’t be worried about Toby being concerned with what am wearing when he returns. I just can’t wait to hold him and shower him with all of my love.” Her cheeks turned a rosy red.

“Yuck!” Diamond stuck out her tongue “I like the little guy as much as the next filly Silver, but do you have to talk like that? It’s so… mushy.” She shook her head.

“Oh Diamond, you know I can’t help but gush over my sweetie pie. I hope he was safe in the other world and no pony hurt him.” She gave a little smile.

Diamond trotted over to her and placed a hoof on her shoulder “Don’t worry Silver, Toby is a brave boy, and I’m sure that the human versions of us were nice to him.” She gave Silver a smile of reassurance “Now let’s go get something for breakfast, I’m starving.”

Silver nodded and the two started to trot to exit their guest room “Wait Diamond, should we wake your father?” She turned to see Filthy Rich still in a deep sleep.

Diamond looked toward her father as well “Daddy will wake up soon, don’t worry. He likes to have lots of sleep sometimes when he’s not working.” The two fillies giggled as they exited their room and trotted down the hallway to the dining hall.


As every pony were in the dining hall enjoying a nice breakfast of hay cakes, eggs, and hay bacon with each having a glass of fresh cold milk, the royal sisters trotted in. The two smiled warmly at the group as they trotted over to the table and to their respective seats. Plates of food were already prepared for them.

Celestia looked at every pony and nodded “Good morning my little ponies, I see that you are all back to your normal selves.”

Luna nodded in agreement “I think our spell worked perfectly sister.” She turned to the guests “Last night, Tia, Twilight, Cadence, and I all performed a spell that cured you all of your slight modifications.”

“Aw… man, and when I was just getting used to having that cool mane.” Rainbow Dash sighed as she stuffed a slice of hay bacon in her mouth and started chewing. She rested her cheek on her hoof when an idea struck her “Hey Rare, do you think I could come by the boutique some day and maybe you could braid it?” She looked at the fashionista with a hopeful smile.

“Well, I don’t know Rainbow darling. I mean do you seriously want that style of mane back? I think you looked perfectly fine with your mane back to normal.” She delicately chewed on a hay cake and sipped at her milk.

“You bet! I looked so awesome in it, you know what I mean mon?” She let out a light-hearted laugh, causing the others to roll their eyes.

“I’ll see what I can do then when we get back home.” Rarity gave Rainbow a nod, and then looked at Fluttershy “Right now dears, our darling Fluttershy have something to talk to us about, and I thought it would be good for her to talk about with all of her friends.’

Every pony else looked at her curiously and anxiously. A shallow swallowed traveled down the shy Pegasus’ throat “Well… um… I …. Um… “She started to shake a little nervously with all eyes on her.

Celestia noticed this and calmly spoke “Dear Fluttershy, would you like to talk in private?” She gave the mare a warm smile.

Flutteshy nodded softly and looked at all of her friends “Um … would that be okay with you all if I only talk with Princess Celestia?” She looked down and touched her hooves together nervously.

“Of course Fluttershy, we all understand.” Twilight spoke and gave her a warm smile. She looked at every pony else “Is that okay with you all?” The others nodded in unison.

Celestia smiled and gave a nod “Thank you my little ponies.” She stood up and motioned at Fluttershy with a wing “Come Fluttershy, we shall go talk outside on the balcony.”

Fluttershy slowly stood up and nodded “Um… yes your highness.” She gave her friends a light nod and trotted toward Celestia to follow her outside.

Once outside Celestia motioned for Fluttershy come stand by her side at the balcony. She looked over the Crystal Empire and spoke softly “So my dear friend, what is it that is bothering you? You know you can talk to your friends about anything, but I can sense that it must be a serious issue, and you need the advice of another, am I correct?”

Fluttershy looked up at the sun princess with awe “Um… that is right your highness, but… um… how did you know?” She swallowed deeply.

A light chuckle escaped the alicorn’s lips “Now what kind of princess would I be if I didn’t ask my ponies what is bothering them? Now Fluttershy, please tell me what’s on your mind.”

Fluttershy let out a heavy sigh and nodded “Well… um… you see Princess Celestia, with my precious Toby returning home tonight… um… I’ve been battling with an issue.” She looked down at the ground, but felt a wing comfortably lay over her back.

“Tell me my dear Fluttershy, what issue bothers you so?” Celestia asked with concern in her voice and a genuine, warm smile on her face.

Fluttershy sighed heavily and looked up at the princess “Well ... um …. Big Mac, Applejack’s brother came here last night… and… um… asked me to marry him.” She let out a squeal of nervousness.

A light giggle escaped from Celestia as she gave Fluttershy a big smile “Oh my dear that is wonderful news. Did you tell him yes? I could send out invitations to all of Equestria…”

“NO!” Fluttershy shouted, but immediately yelped as she realized she shouted at the princess. She trembled on her legs and hid her face under her mane “Oh…. Princess Celestia… I… I’m so sorry. I… I didn’t mean to yell like that. Please forgive me.” She lowered her head in shame.

Celestia frowned at the shy Pegasus’ fear and gently stroked at her back with a wing. She gave Fluttershy a warm smile “Calm yourself my dear. I’m not mad at you. Please, just relax and just tell me what’s wrong.” She gave her a reassuring smile and continued to calmly stroke her back.

Fluttershy calmed down after a few moments and looked up at the princess “I didn’t give him an answer yet your highness, because I… um… was… afraid.” She whimpered a bit.

Celestia looked a bit shock, but kept her warm smile “Oh. I think I know what you may be afraid of Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy looked up at her “You do your highness?”

“Yes my dear. I believe you’re afraid to say yes, because not only do you have a son to care for when he returns, but also you’re a young mare whose life is ahead of her.” The princess turned to look out at the horizon “However Fluttershy, you’ve got to think about the fact if you do go through marrying Big Mac, then you both can share a life with your son under the same roof..” She turned to look back at the timid pony “Just think about it, okay my dear?”

Fluttershy nodded “Yes your highness, and thank you.” She gave a soft smile.

Celestia nodded “You’re very welcome Fluttershy. Now shall we go back into the dining hall and prepare ourselves for the return of our precious child?” Fluttershy nodded as the two returned into the dining hall.


Far off beyond the Crystal Empire in the Frozen North, there was a chilling force lurking within the darkest regions of the mountains.

Oh yes Princess Celestia, fill your subjects with false hope that everything will be safe. The moment your dear little human returns, my ultimate revenge shall begin.

Author's Note:

Well everything is back to normal when it comes to the ponies getting back their regular looks back. :twilightsmile: However, :pinkiegasp: it looks like that there is some dark force wanting to make it's way toward the Empire to cause misery for every pony.. Also, I want to apologize to everyone for being late in posting this. It's just been stressful for the last few weeks irl.