• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 11,998 Views, 1,810 Comments

A New Home III: The Quest for the Lost Locket - APoeticHeart



Toby is suddenly teleported to the Equestria Girls Universe in search of his missing locket.

  • ...
23
 1,810
 11,998

Chapter Ten: A New Threat Rises

The Crystal Empire…

As morning arrived in Equestria, Daring Do was slowly starting to stir in her sleep. She let out an exaggerated yawn. “Oh gosh, what a good night’s rest. I haven’t had one of those in a long ti…. AAH!” She opened her eyes to see two big, bulging magenta ones staring intently at her. She leaped back against the bed, causing the covers to float up in the air before drifting back down.

“Good morning Miss Do, did you sleep well last night?” Rainbow Dash asked with an ear splitting grin on her muzzle and flapping her wings excitedly. Bags formed under her eyes and the small blood vessels could be noticed where she didn’t go to sleep last night. She let out a heavy yawn, but kept her grin.

Daring Do panted heavily. “Wait, did you stay up all night Rainbow Dash?” She asked curiously. She allowed herself to calm down before carefully climbing out of the bed. She stretched out all four legs, her wings, and cracked her neck, and then trotted over to the window of her room to look out over the empire.

Rainbow nodded vigorously as she trotted over to the side of Daring Do. “Yes I did Miss Do. I couldn’t help but marvel in the awesomeness you showed while sleeping. Do you know how amazing you look when you sleep?” Rainbow smiled goofily and let out a chuckle.

Daring Do gave her a nervous smile. “Um… thanks I guess.” She shook her head softly and looked back out the window. “Hey Dash, what is there to do here in the Crystal Empire?”

Rainbow flapped her wings excitedly. “Well, instead of me telling you Miss Do, how about I show you around the empire? I can show you the most awesome places to visit here, and who else can say they got to spend the day with their favorite character from an awesome series!?” She beamed from ear to ear at the thought.

Daring Do gave a soft smile to the cyan Pegasus. “That sounds like a great idea, Dash. Let me just go take me a shower and…” She was instantly cut off a gust of wind of blew her mane sideways as Rainbow zoomed past her toward the washroom in Daring’s room. In mere seconds, Dash returned with a beaming grin on her face.

“Your water is ready when you are, Miss Do! Would you like for me to assist in bathing you Miss Do? I could add some bubbles and carefully wash your fur with a loofa.” She waggled her eyebrows.

Daring Do gave a slightly nervous chuckle and nodded. “That all sounds nice of you Dash, but I believe I can handle taking a shower alone. Thank you though.” She gave Rainbow a nod and turned to trot into the washroom, leaving a dejected Rainbow.

Rainbow sighed heavily. “O-Oh alright. I’ll just be in the palace dining room when you get done. Okay Miss Do?” Her tone was still oozing with enthusiasm about just being in the presence of her favorite character.

Daring Do replied from the washroom. “Alright, Dash. I’ll see you out there.” She said as she snickered to herself as she reached in her fore hooves to touch the water and acted like she was really taking a shower.

Rainbow solemnly nodded and turned to make her way to the dining room. She let out a heavy sigh. Rainbow Dash, you are really pushing it with her! Wanting to bathe her, scrub her with a loofa, and give her a bubble bath?! Though, she IS your idol....and you can’t help but win her over with extreme fan love. She sighed heavily once again as she let her thoughts drift away.

Palace Dining Hall....

“Mm… mm… mm… These are some mighty tasty pancakes, Applejack! What is your secret?” Kevin asked as he was enjoying a plate of the piping hot dough cakes, topped with a pat of butter and some of Sweet Apple Acre’s homemade apple jelly.

It was only Applejack and Kevin awake in the dining room as the other guests at the castle were elsewhere doing their own thing. Applejack paused in flipping her pancakes. “Now if ah would to tell ya Kevin, then it wouldn’t be a secret, now would it?” She laughed “Nah… Ah am just pulling your leg. Ah just add a little bit of cinnamon into the mix and that is mainly it.” She finished her plate and trotted over to the table to sit with Kevin.

“Well, these are probably some of the best I’ve eaten, besides the ones I have cooked for myself, Nikolai, and Riley.” He smiles confidently as he takes another bite out of his pancakes.

Applejack smirked at the satyr and asked curiously. “Speaking of those two, where are they at? Ya ought to think a wolf… well a wolf in a human’s body and a human in a wolf’s body would be in here scarfing these down.”

Kevin sighed softly. “Yea, usually they’d be in here and there wouldn’t be any food left. However, they just went out to tour the Crystal Empire since it’s our first time here.” He gave Applejack a smirk. “I just hope no ponies will be freaked out by a talking wolf and a barking human.” He let out a light-hearted laugh.

Applejack shared the laugh. “Yea...that would seem pretty…” She was cut off as the dining hall doors opened and in trotted a depressed Rainbow Dash with her shoulders slumped, ears flattened, and head lowered. Applejack looked at her with a mix of concern and curiosity. “What in tarnation is wrong with ya, Rainbow?”

Rainbow let out a heavy sigh and planted her flank at the table. Suddenly she started to repeatedly hit her head on the table. “Stupid… stupid…stupid!” She muttered to herself and grunted.

Both Kevin and Applejack stared at her concernedly, yet confusedly. Kevin swallowed a bite of his breakfast. “Uh… Rainbow Dash? Are you feeling okay?” He asked worriedly.

“Yea sugarcube, yer kind of scaring us. How about ya say Ah fix ya some breakfast? That should perk ya up and make ya feel a whole lot better.” She gave Rainbow a warm smile.

Rainbow sighed heavily as she lifted her head up off the table. “That sounds good. Maybe that will get my mind off Daring Do refusing to let me give her a bubble bath.” She gave a small grin.

Kevin spewed out some apple juice all over Applejack’s face after hearing what Rainbow said. He choked a little as he looked at Applejack with a bemused look on her face. “Oops… sorry App...." he hacks. "lejack.” He rubbed the back of his head with a hoof nervously. He lightly pushed his plate and glass away. “I think I’m finished eating for now. I’m going to go look around the castle.” He carefully got up from the table and saluted both the mares with a hoof.

“See ya later Kevin.” Applejack tilted her hat towards him as Rainbow lazily waved a hoof at him as he trotted out of the dining hall. She then turned her attention to Rainbow. “Now Rainbow, don’t ya think you’re going a little too far with your fascination with Daring Do?” She gave Rainbow a sympathetic look.

Rainbow gave her a look of pure shock. “WHAT?! Applejack, if you had a once in a lifetime moment to meet your favorite character from a book, would you do what you can to show them that you think they are the best?” She gritted her teeth and panted heavily.

Applejack placed a hoof on each of Rainbow’s shoulders to calm her down “Settle down there ya rowdy mare. Ah understand that you adore Daring Do, Rainbow, but ya got to give her some space and let her have some time alone. She just got zapped here in Equestria without warning and she is still just getting over all that she has heard.” She used a hoof to reach behind and rub at Rainbow’s back. “Now....what do ya say I fix you some fresh and hot pancakes with a glass of apple cider?”

Rainbow sighed and nodded. “That sounds good, Applejack. Thank you. I think a good breakfast will get my mind off of things.” She smiled as Applejack nodded and trotted over to fix her plate.

Meanwhile...

After taking her shower, Daring Do decided to go exploring around the palace. I wonder what kind of treasures and artifacts are hidden in the Crystal Palace alone from the entire empire. Well, if there is one mare that can uncover the hidden treasures of any place, it’s me, Daring Do! She smirked proudly as she made her way through the many corridors of the castle.

As she turned the corner to trot down a long hallway, she spotted Twilight, the girls, and along with them were Spike, the CMC, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon. They were showing the adults the crystal snow globes they bought the day before. Twilight and the girls marveled at the snow globes with wondrous smiles on their muzzles.

Daring looked at the group curiously and trotted toward them. As she got closer she spoke up. “Hello, everypony. What are those you are looking at?” She gave them a soft smile mixed with a curious look.

“Well, these are the snow globes that we bought….” Spike began as the young ones turned to see Daring. “DARING DO!” they yelled in unison as they tossed the snow globes into the air. They were about to hit the ground, but Twilight and Rarity caught them in their magic.

“Well hi there little ones, what do you got there?” Daring pointed at the snow globes.

“Oh, just some snow globes,” Scootaloo said as she flapped her wings excitedly and beamed with joy at being in Daring Do’s presence. “They aren’t as awesome as meeting you though Miss Do!” She said with a smirk.

“Yea!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed. “You always get to go on fun adventures, search for lost treasure, and fight the bad guys!” Her beaming smile suddenly turned into a frown. “I wish we could have fun like that...maybe we could get our cutie marks in exploring....”

“Yah Miss Do, ya are always doing something exciting!” Applebloom responded next. Spike stayed quiet and simply nodded, along with Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon.

"Plus...you REALLY make that olive vest and pith helmet work BEAUTIFULLY!" Diamond Tiara compliments with a squee.

Daring Do gave a half happy, half depressed smile at the fillies and baby dragon. She placed a hoof against her chin in a thinking manner “Hmm… I know what. I was planning on going outside and exploring the Crystal Empire. How would you six like to tag along?” She gave them a soft smirk.

“REALLY?!” they all beamed and yelled excitedly.

Sweetie Belle turned to her sister .“Ooh, ooh! Rarity can we go? Pllllllllllllease?” She gave Rarity a big pleading grin. “We promise we’ll be good and do whatever Miss Do says!”

Rarity looked at the others and they nodded. She turned back to Sweetie. “Alright Sweetie darling, you all can go with Daring Do, but you must PROMISE me that you'll be on your BEST behavior.” She gave Sweetie Belle and the other young ones a stern look.

“We promise!” They all responded in unison.

“Spike, when you get back, I would like to talk to you...if that’s okay?” Twilight spoke up as she trotted up to Spike and placed a hoof gently on his shoulder.

Spike looked up at her, a little confused at the tone in her voice. “Okay, Twilight. We’ll talk.” He gave her a warm smile as she nodded.

Spike and the other kids joined Daring Do. She looked at the others. “Well, if you are all ready, let’s go adventuring!” She held up her foreleg proudly as the others cheered with excitement. They bid farewell to the adults as they trotted off.

Sweet Apple Acres…

After tending to the farm, Big Mac trotted into the kitchen and sat down at the table. Granny Smith was fixing breakfast when she noticed he had a solemn expression on his face. She cleared her throat. “Nya… what’s the matter young’un? Ya look like a stampede of cattle just trampled all over you.” She eyed him as she trotted over to him with a plate of eggs, hay bacon, and toast, all complete with glasses of apple juice.

Big Mac let out a heavy sigh. “Well Granny, ever since we received that letter about Toby’s absence, Ah have been worried about not just the little feller, but also Miss Fluttershy. Ah can’t imagine how hard it must be for a mother to be without her son for a while.” He started to eat at his breakfast.

Granny gave a little smile. “Nya… Ah am sure the little one is alright Big Mac. However, Ah believe there is more than just worry for that pretty mare...isn’t here?” She waggled her winkled eyes at Big Mac.

A look of shocked swept across his face. “G-Granny, what are ya talking about? Ah said am just worried about Miss Fluttershy, because she is dealing with the absence of Toby, her son, and Ah know it hurts not to have him with her during this time. Ah didn’t say anything about it being more than worry.”

“Nya… don’t play dumb with me ya young whipper snapper. Ah can tell when some pony cares for another, and Big Mac...y'all care for Fluttershy. Ya are just too nervous to admit it. Am Ah right?” She gave him a smirk.

Big Mac’s red cheeks became redder with a deep blush as he gave an awkward smile. He let out a light chuckle and looked at her. “Ya know what Granny, Ah don’t how ya do it, but ya tend to get everything right.” He let out a heavy sigh. “Eeyup Granny, Ah do care for Miss Fluttershy, but Ah don’t know how to tell her.”

“Go to her.” Granny Smith replied with a light chuckle of her own. “Ah can take care of the farm, ya just go to the Crystal Empire and go see that young filly.” She gave him a wink.

Big Mac reached a hoof back to scratch at his mane. “Ah don’t’ know, Granny. Are ya sure ya can take care of the farm by yourself?” He gave a nervous smile.

Granny Smith simply laughed. “Nya… now listen here ya young whipper snapper. Ah may be up in age, but Ah am still able to do more than my fair share.” She carefully trotted over to Big Mac and placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Now ya go to the Crystal Empire and be there for that pretty young filly.” She gave him another wink.

Big Mac nodded and gave a confident smile. “Ya are right Granny. Ah will go to the Crystal Empire and show Miss Fluttershy that there is some pony that cares for her besides her friends. Ah will be there with her when her… when our son comes back!” He said proudly.

Granny Smith smiled and giggled. “That’s my grandson. Now ya go and Ah will handle everything here on the farm. When ya, Applejack, and Applebloom return, it will be like this farm never changed.” She giggled.

Big Mac finished eating his breakfast, stood up from the table, and nodded at Granny Smith. He gave her a soft yet stern look. “Ah right Granny, Ah trust that the farm is in good hooves. Ya just take care of all the animals, and if ya need any help at all though, go get some ponies in Ponyville, okay?”

She waved a hoof nonchalantly at him. “Nya… yea, yea. Now ya go on Big Mac!” She commanded as he nodded. He trotted out of the house and made his way toward the Ponyville Train Station.

Canterlot Communal Park…

Sunset Shimmer and the others were enjoying watching Toby play an exciting, yet grueling game of two on two basketball with Rainbow Dash against Lightning Dust and Scootaloo. Pinkie Pie came skipping back after getting herself a snow cone and sat down beside the group. She licked at her snow cone. “Okie dokie Sunset, you can tell your story now.” She beamed.

“Yes darling, I would like to hear what our sweet and dear little friend Toby was speaking of. What are you hiding from us, Sunset?” Rarity looked at her with a quirked eyebrow.

Applejack crossed her arms and placed them on top of her knees. “Yeah sugarcube, ya know ya can always talk to us. We are your friends and we care about ya.”

Fluttershy nodded. “That is true, Sunset. Now, we would like for you to be honest with us like Toby was. We will support you no matter what it is, because that is what friends are for.” She gave Sunset a warm smile as the others nodded in agreement.

Sunset took in a deep breath and exhaled. “Okay, I’ll tell you all, but just don’t think of me any differently.” She gave them all a pleading look and they nodded. “Well, ever since I got here from Equestria, I've been living in the attic of the school's library." She sighed heavily.

The other girls gasped “WHAT?!”

Sunset gave an awkward smile and nod. “Yes, it’s true, I never really had a home to live in. I was afraid to ask anyone, because I didn't want anyone to think of me as a charity case. However, Rainbow Dash accepted the task and allowed me to move in with her." A soft smile crept across her face.

Silence roamed among the five for a while before Rarity spoke up. “Well darling that is quite a shocking admission. Yet, we are very proud of you for telling us.” The others nodded in agreement.

Applejack turned her attention to Toby on the basketball court. “So are ya telling us that when Toby gets ready to go back home, y'all will go too?” She turned back to Sunset with a look mixed with curiosity and sadness.

Sunset looked over at the little boy as well and sighed heavily. “Well, Applejack, to tell the truth, I really don’t know yet. I mean I’ve become attached to Toby....he's like a little brother to me. He is like the little brother that I’ve never had… but…” She lowered her head to the ground.

“But what Sunset?” fluttershy asked with a look of concern.

Sunset turned her head to look at her friends. “But I don’t want to leave this place, because this is my home. I don’t want to leave you all, my friends. Besides I don’t know how Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle, and her friends would react to me returning through the portal with Toby. What if they think I’m there to cause trouble?” A frown slowly formed in her face.

Rarity placed a hand on her back and started to rub up and down soothingly. She looked at Sunset in her eyes. “Listen to me darling, do you remember how you’ve changed since Twilight Sparkle left?” Sunset nodded lightly. “You’ve done so much good since then and we have forgiven you.”

Applejack placed a hand on Sunset’s shoulder. “And Ah am sure those in Equestria will forgive you too sugarcube. Ya just got to take a leap of faith and see what happens.” She gave Sunset a warm smile.

Fluttershy knelt on the soft grass and held Sunset’s hands in hers. “And we’ll always be your friends Sunset, even if you are away in a different place. The bond of friendship we share will never be broken.” She looked up at Sunset with glistening, tearful eyes.

Pinkie Pie finished off her snow cone and tossed the paper cone away behind some bushes, where unfortunately Silver Spoon was picking up garbage. It landed on her forehead, and some left over juice slid down from the bottom, and caused it to merge itself onto her forehead. “Hey, Di! Look! I'm a pretty unicorn!" She squeaked, striking a pose that apparently a unicorn would strike.

One dimension over, Rarity cringed....

"Ugh," Diamond Tiara groans as she picks up a banana peel. "Shut UP, Silver Spoon!"

Silver Spoon frowns, as her "horn" slowly falls off her forehead, and lands in the grass. "Errr....Murf."

“Oops… sorry.” Pinkie said as she gathered around her friend.s “Yeah, Shimmy! No matter how far you are, we’ll always be with you in your heart.” She placed a finger against the left side of her chest on her heart. Pinkie beamed. “This calls for a group hug!” She wrapped her arms around the girls and they all joined together in one big warm embrace.

“Oh, you girls are the best!” Sunset exclaimed with tearful eyes as they all smiled and laughed happily in the hug.

Meanwhile…

The game was tied 24 to 24 with Toby dribbling the ball, attempting to take the last shot. Scootaloo shuffled back and forth in front of him. “Alright little guy, let’s see what you’re made of!” She let out a giggle as she gave him a smirk and licked her lips.

He nodded. “Okay Scootaloo. Last basket wins the game, and I’m going to make it.” He smiled confidently as he dribbled the basketball back and forth to his right and left hand. He faked to the left and ran to the right.

“Toby, over here buddy, I’m open!” yelled Rainbow Dash. Toby nodded and tossed the ball up in the air toward her. She ran, leaped up in the air, and did a slam dunk. She landed on her feet and held her arms in the air triumphantly. “Oh yea!” She moon-walked proudly.

Toby ran up to her. “Yay Rainbow! We did it! We won!” He exclaimed excitedly as he wrapped his arms around her waist.

She bent down and lifted him up in the air and spun him around. “Yeah....we sure did, buddy. You were AWESOME Toby, and I’m so proud of you!” She pulled him into a hug and patted his back.

Lightning Dust and Scootaloo walked up to the two. “Well, that was one heck of a game you two.” Lightning Dust smiled at them and reached out her hand.

Rainbow set Toby back down and reached out to shake Lightning Dust’s hand. “Thanks Dusty. You two were awesome as well, weren’t they Toby?” She smiled down at him ruffling his hair playfully with her free hand.

Toby nodded as he looked up at Lightning, Rainbow, and Scootaloo. “Yes, you two played great.” He smiled up at them proudly.

“Congratulations to Toby and Rainbow Dash!” Sweetie Belle announced, as she and Apple Bloom leaped off the bleachers, and came running up to the four.

Sweetie Belle bent down and gave Toby a big hug. “You were great you little cutie!” She gave him a kiss on the forehead, causing him to blush.

Applebloom patted his back. “Yah buddy! Ya and Scootaloo played an excellent game.” She gave Toby and Scootaloo a wink.

Scootaloo bent down on her knee and carefully took Toby’s small hand into hers and shook it “Great game little guy.” She gave him a wink and a smirk “I know! To celebrate, how about all four us go get some ice cream? How does that sound Toby?” She gave him a very light and playful punch on his shoulder.

He smiled happily. “That sounds like a fun idea Scootaloo, but I got to ask Sister Sunset if it’s okay with her.” Scootaloo and the other two girls nodded in agreement.

“It’s okay with me little brother.” Sunset and the others came walking up to the group. “That was a great game little buddy, and you should be proud of yourself.” She gave him a warm smile and ruffled his hair.

Rarity nodded in agreement and turned to Sweetie Belle. “Now Sweetie, Toby can go with you, but you three make sure to watch after him, okay?” She gave them a soft yet stern look.

Sweetie Belle nodded and wrapped an arm gently around Toby’s shoulders. “We will Rarity! We’ll make sure this little cutie is safe with us!” She smiled warmly as she rubbed at Toby’s arm.

“Yah, we’ll be like his big sisters and protect him!” Applebloom spoke proudly as she turned her back toward Toby and bent on her knees. “Hop on, buddy. Y'all can get a ride from me.” She giggled.

Sweetie Belle gently lifted Toby up from under his arms and helped him up onto Applebloom’s back. He smiled warmly at the human versions of his big sisters. “Thank you Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and Scootaloo.”

“Don’t mention it little guy.” Scootaloo smiled.

Applebloom reached behind her and held Toby from under his legs. “Now hang on Toby, it might be a little bumpy.” She giggled as she turned to her sister and the others.

“We’ll see y'all later. And Applebloom....Ah trust that Toby will be okay with y'all.” Applejack smiled softly as the others nodded in agreement.

The young ones waved as Apple Bloom nodded, and Toby spoke up. “Bye everyone! I’ll see you later!” He gave them all a warm smile as Applebloom turned and the four walked off.

Meanwhile…

In the quiet, calm forest of Winsome Falls, a creature started to stir as it was sleeping in a big ball of royal blue fur. A deep yawn escaped its lips as it started to get up. The creature was the sworn enemy of Daring Do, Ahuizotl. He blinked his eyes open and carefully stood up on his hind legs, but hunched over.

He growled lowly. “So that naughty nuisance of an explorer Daring Do thought she could escape me, huh?” He let out a chuckle. “We’ll see about that. Once I get my claws on her, she will be begging for mercy!” He continued to laugh when he didn't notice his white pet cat. “Hey… where is my…? BOOOOOOTTTTSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He shouted, as he began to tear down trees in search of his small, yet fierce companion

Author's Note:

Uh.. oh.. :pinkiegasp: It looks like Daring Do's sworn enemy Ahuizotl has made his way to Equestria. :twilightoops: Also, could there be a shipping going on?