• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 782 Views, 5 Comments

The Scarecrow Walks at Midnight - Xx-Sniper_Masters-xX



Applejack has noticed that apple trees are mysteriously being cut down. So one night she decides to see who is cutting them down. What she sees is something that she can't explain.

  • ...
3
 5
 782

The Apple's History

I woke up the next morning next to Applebloom. She was safe but in my mind I knew this room would be unsafe. The scarecrows were probably still outside. I checked out the window to see that the sun was rising telling me the scarecrows won't attack now. I opened the door just enough to take a peek and saw that there was 5 scarecrows at the door ready to attack. None of them moved so I walked outside and took them one by one back onto the fields; Far away from us.

"Okay that's the last of them." I walked back to the house and turned my head to check on the scarecrows. Nothing out of the ordinary. I turned my head back around to the house and continued to walk. In the far distance I could see Big Mac in the distance with a book. An old book to be exact.

"So what's with the book you got there?" I asked Big Mac.

"Oh this one? It's about our family history." I snatched the book from Big Mac and looked at the book. There was so many members in the family that it was hard to keep track of them all. I looked at the beginning of the family tree to see our ancestors. They seemed a bit... off.

"Hey some of these ponies look weird." Big Mac took a look at them and nodded.

"Well it was our ancestors. Ancestors are always weird in their own possible way." Big Mac took the book back and placed it in a box. He locked the box and took the key with him.

"Looks like he's hiding a lot of stuff from me..." I grabbed the box and took it to my room. If can figure out how to open the box then I might be able to find the reason why these scarecrows are coming alive every midnight...

"If I can buck some apples then I can surely break a lock." I placed the box onto the floor. Pull back... Lift the box in the air! And BUCK!

CRRRRACK

"Alright now what are you hiding Mac...." I opened the book and saw that there was descriptions of my past ancestors. Their names were faded and it was hard to read considering it was some really old paper.

/a///nn/ /////
//d///a A//le was a pony veiled in mystery. She would always spend time in her fields trying to do ancient dark magic rituals that only Earth ponies can do when they have reached their potentials. M//o/// /pp// reached her potential and performed a ritual that would bring a scarecrow that happened to be near her testing fields to come to life on midnights for 7 days when a blue moon occurs. Past owners were nearly killed in incidents with their scarecrows coming to life. But the ritual can last so long that on the year of 20XX November 9th the dark magic will disappear and the land will be free.

-The rest of the page is ripped and can't be read.-

Wait a second... There was pieces of letters... If I can figure them out... /a///nn/ ///// + //d///a A//le + M//o/// /pp// = Madonna Apple... I can't believe it.. If this is all because of dark magic then... The family is in danger!

I took pieces of wood and nails and a hammer and barricaded the doors and windows to prevent the scarecrows from coming in. It was only 7:00 P.M. But at some time the scarecrows could come out of nowhere and attack at an earlier time. Better safe than sorry!

*Somewhere around 11:55*

"Got any 7's?" I asked Applebloom.

"Nope! Go Fish!" I drew a card from the pile and now I had 2 7's with 3 Aces and a 3.

"Psst, Applebloom ask Applejack if she has an ace!" Big Mac whispered to Applebloom.

"Okay! Do you have any aces?" Geez Big Mac and his cheating habits at Go Fish...

"Yes, In fact I have three..." I gave the cards to Applebloom. Now Applebloom was beating me by 1 to 0.

SCREEEEECH

"Ow my ears!" All three of us covered our ears from the piercing screech. I looked at the barricades to see that the scarecrows were at the door.

"Uh... What's at the door?" Applebloom was hiding behind Big Mac shaking from the noise of rustling straw at the door.

"Don't ask. Big Mac get Applebloom to her room. I'll meet you up there." Big Mac said nothing. He grabbed Applebloom and rushed to her room.

"Okay scarecrows what do you want?!" I stood there for a while wondering if the scarecrows would break down the barriers and take me far away from the family...

"What we want... Is our freedom..." The scarecrows hissed.

"What? If you want freedom then why don't you just leave the farm?" I asked.

" The Dark Magic is preventing us from escaping. We cannot leave unless the barrier is broken. But the Dark magic is so powerful it starts to control us making us have the urge to kill..." The scarecrows replied.

"But if you are not controlled by the dark magic then..." I looked up at the door.

"..." Total silence.

"Hello?" I took a step forward.

"..." Silence.

"Are you still there?" I took another step forward when the barricade was broken. The scarecrow stuck it's head in and said one word only.

"Run." I ran up to Applebloom's room fast, opened the door and closed it. I locked it and blocked the door.

"What's wrong Applejack?" Big Mac asked.

"The scarecrows are inside again! They're really powerful now and I fear that Applebloom will get hurt." My heart stopped when I heard rustling straw on the door.

"Okay all we got to do is survive through the night and we'll be alright. We'll take shifts. I'll take the first shift and you take the second." Big Mac suggested.

"Okay." I closed my eyes and just listened as the rustling of straws on the door was getting louder.

"Don't worry. We'll make it through."

Author's Note:

...