• Published 1st Sep 2013
  • 3,067 Views, 101 Comments

Bad Wolf - Dusk Writer



Upon finding a giant black wolf in her basement, Twilight eventually finds that this wolf used to have a different name; Rose.

  • ...
10
 101
 3,067

Meet the Medic

As said earlier, Twilight is in no way a cook, but she could make a few simple things like coffee when she needed to. The same rule applied to being a runner. She was nowhere near the level of Applejack or Rainbow Dash, but when there was a giant black wolf with golden glowing eyes passed out in her basement at three in the morning, she found herself running to Fluttershy's house at a speed she had never run at before.

Fortunately, the streets were empty since nopony else was awake quite yet. She ran past all the empty stands in the marketplace and the gingerbread house known as Sugarcube Corner. Getting to the cottage only took ten minutes out of the usual thirty.

She ran up the dirt path to the ecological home and began pounding on the door. After several minutes of her incessant knocking, the door opened slightly to reveal Angel tapping his foot upon the floor. The little demon bunny had a curler in his tail and a look of irritation upon his face. After kicking her foreleg, he motioned for the panting mare to come in.

Pointing to the couch, he motioned for her to sit, and clapped slowly as she lay down on the couch and continued trying to catch her breath. He turned and hopped up the stairs one at a time up to Fluttershy's room.

After a few seconds, she heard some light mumblings and the sound of somepony moving around on the second floor. After another few seconds, Fluttershy clomped quietly down the stairs with a crazy bed-mane. She reached the bottom of the stairs with a small stumble, but managed to remain standing…barely.

She raises a hoof to rub the sleep out of her eyes, and lets out a yawn before speaking. "Twilight? What're you doing here so early? A-and why are you panting so hard? Were you being chased by a monster?" She started shaking slightly, but stayed where she was standing.

It took Twilight a few more moments to finally catch her breath, but when she did, she got her words out a bit slowly. "Well, I had woken up really early this morning and couldn't fall back asleep. So I went downstairs to make some coffee and read a book." Fluttershy's eyes widened a bit at this statement; she had no idea Twilight could cook at all. "And then that's when I heard the sound of something breaking downstairs in the basement. So, I walked down there and got a makeshift weapon just in case it was an intruder. However, instead of another pony, I found a giant black wolf with glowing gold eyes. It collapsed after a few seconds, but then I ran straight here."

She took in a deep breath, not yet recovered from her run through Ponyville, and also realizing just how out of shape she truly was. Fluttershy stood in front of her, slowly digesting the story she had been told. "So, you're wanting me to see what I can do?"

Twilight nodded her head rapidly, hoping that the yellow mare could be the answer to her problem. "Well, I'll see what I can do. Oh, I hope the poor dear isn't hurt. Just let me grab a couple of things," She said quietly, flying off to another room to grab her saddlebags and a few items she needed. Coming back with the necessary items, she spoke to Twilight in a rare firm tone, "Alright Twilight, let's go see what I can do about this wolf of yours."

Angel held the door open for the yellow mare, but kicked Twilight on the way out and stormed back to his comfy bed. "Yeesh Fluttershy. It really seems like Angel doesn't like anypony but you." Fluttershy merely shrugged at the comment and continued walking.

Twilight sighed as they reached the outskirts of Ponyville and looked up into the night sky. Not many ponies truly appreciated Luna's night sky and the work she put into it. However, there were hundreds more than back before she was banished.

Shaking her head of the dark thoughts, Twilight focused more on where she was going since she almost ran into her friend. this time, it did take them the full thirty minutes to reach Twilights house, the leaves on the tree swaying with the wind. Strangely enough, the tree seemed more sinister now to twilight than before, but that may have just been because of recent events.

She pushed open the door, glad to see that both her note and the basement door were left untouched in her absence. She walked over to the basement door and turned to her friend. "Alright Fluttershy, you ready?"

At her friend's meek nod, she unbolted the door and pulled it so that the passageway was clear and jumped away it, expecting an attack. When no such attack came, she peeked down the stairs for any sign of her golden eyed guest. Seeing nothing still, she motioned for Fluttershy to follow her as she walked down the steps for the second time in the past hour.

The trip downwards seemed to take a few minutes instead of the actual few seconds. By the time they reached the bottom, Twilight had begun to sweat with anxiety from seeing the giant again. However, Fluttershy was as calm as ever; there was an animal that needed her help, and she would make sure it got that help.

"Alright, the last time I saw it, it was over in that corner." Twilight pointed to said area of the room and led Fluttershy over to it.

As they rounded the corner of the table, Fluttershy let out a quiet, "Oh my." The black wolf had woken up since Twilight leaving, shifting enough to let a small beaker on the table fall to the ground. At some point it had rolled over onto the small shards of glass, giving it deep lacerations over multiple parts of its body.

"Oh you poor thing! Come here!" Fluttershy flew up to the wolf and began checking its wounds. The wolf growled at her when she got close, but then stopped itself. Fluttershy looked into its eyes and saw not the usual trusting look animals gave her, but shock. Almost as though it hadn't meant to growl at her.

She reached into one of her saddle bags and pulled out some gauze and tweezers and went to work on the cuts. The wolf seemed interested in something else in the bag, but it ignored it for now. Twilight watched nervously as Fluttershy adeptly used her wings to hold the tweezers to pull out the shards of glass and then press the gauze against it with her hoof, cleaning up some of the blood that leaked out. There were several times during the meticulous procedure that it seemed like the wolf wanted to snap at Fluttershy, but it restrained itself.

There were times when the clothing got in the way, but Fluttershy managed to work around it and pull pieces of the fabric off every so often.

Finally, after about an hour of repeating the process of "Remove glass, press gauze", all of the shards had been removed. Fluttershy floated back over to Twilight with her saddlebags and set both them and herself down onto the ground.

"She should be fine now. I managed to get all the pieces of glass out of her fur. But, it was strange; as I worked, she seemed almost sad, and if you look closely, you can see the fur around her eyes is clumped together, indicating tears of some kind." Twilight took a closer look at the wolf's eyes, and sure enough, there were tears there.

When she got close though, the wolf stared at her with an intelligence that frightened her; nothing at all like the wolves she had seen or heard about in the Everfree. "Hey Fluttershy, do you think you could talk to it?" A glare from both the wolf and Fluttershy forced her to change her words. "Sorry, I meant her."

"Sure, I'll see what she says." With that, Fluttershy walked over to the she-wolf, who tracked her very carefully with her eyes. Fluttershy leaned down and whispered into the wolf's ear. "Do you have a name?"

The wolf nodded, and seemed to be trying to use her mouth to say something, but the results were some garbled mess that not even Fluttershy understood. Attempting again, the wolf stared at Fluttershy for a second, before huffing in defeat, and making a noise that a normal wolf would make.

There were grunts, whimpers, and growls, but after a few moments, Fluttershy turned back to Twilight with a confused look on her face. "She says she is the Bad Wolf, but it's more like a title than an actual name. She also seemed to have trouble speaking in wolf tongue, but from what I could gather, she said she wasn't always like this." The wolf's huff of irritation at the name Bad Wolf did not go unnoticed by Twilight.

This new information gave Twilight much to ponder, as she had looked through many of her books for the possible wolf species, but finding nothing. The problem was simple; there just weren't any other types of wolf anywhere close to her size.

Before Twilight could say anything, Fluttershy continued to talk. "Also, I think we should move her to my cottage. Some of those cuts need stitches and I don't have the required tools with me." Fluttershy's eyes widened as though she had just remembered something important. "Oh my, I forgot to give her something to eat! Hold on just a second Twilight, if you could please."

Fluttershy walked over to Bad Wolf, and pulled something out of her saddlebags. Bad Wolf's nose twitched and she rose her head to see what the soft yellow mare was bringing her. Said object turned out to be a piece of raw meat. Fluttershy's face was a little green as she carried the flesh in her hooves, but she managed to make it.

Throwing the meat down on the floor, she backed away quickly whispering softly, "I'm sorry," repeatedly. The Bad Wolf watched her with an amused, if confused, expression, before bending down to sniff the raw meat. She continually opened her jaws as if to snap it up, but seemed hesitant to do so.

Twilight continued to watch, a little green around the gills, and turned to her friend. "Fluttershy, just why did you have meat in your saddlebags?"

Fluttershy had turned away from Bad Wolf, looking much better now that she was no longer carrying a piece of meat. "All animals have different diets. Wolves are completely carnivorous. Although, it's rather odd; this wolf seems much more hesitant than others." She turned back to she she-wolf as she picked up the meat in her jaws, turned around and quietly began ripping it apart.

It took her a few minutes, but when she finished the piece of meat, she let out a sigh of satisfaction and stood up. "Okay, now Bad Wolf, I'm going to have to bring you with me back to my little cottage. Is that okay?"

Bad Wolf did look a little frightened at this comment, but slowly nodded her head. She took a step forward onto one of her paws, but slowly and unsurely; much like a pup just learning to walk. It took her three minutes to get to the stairs, and another five to get up them. Fortunately, she was just small enough to fit through both of the doors to get outside.

To the east, the horizon was beginning to turn a very light pink, signifying that Celestia would soon be raising the sun. They didn't have much time before one of the early risers would walk out of their house and see Bad Wolf, more than likely starting a panic within the town.

The walk through town was a bit hurried, but they made good time getting past most of the small town. However, Bad Wolf stopped near the garden of one the houses close to the edge of town. She walked over to the flowers that grew there and searched them endlessly until she found a giant patch of a certain type of flower.

Yet again, Twilight was shocked by the intelligence that the seemed to hold as she motioned for the two ponies to come over to her. Fluttershy wasn't shocked, but more curious. When she had been taking care of the wolf earlier, it felt more like she had been taking care of an actual pony instead of an animal.

They walked over to where the she-wolf stood. She motioned to the flower, then to herself. It took them a few seconds before they got what she was trying to tell them. "So, you're saying your name is actually Rose?" Asked Fluttershy. Bad Wolf, now Rose, nodded her head and began wagging her tail.

"Well, Rose, we should really get back to my cottage so I can look at those cuts." Rose nods again and walks past the two ponies in the direction they were originally going. Both of the mares turned and followed, neither thinking about the irony that the garden had turned out to be Roseluck's.

Rose, Twilight, and Fluttershy finally reached the cottage just as the sun began peaking over the horizon. Fluttershy pushed open the door to reveal all the critters she had waiting for her to feed them breakfast. However, at the sight of Rose, all of them but one rabbit immediately bolted from the room.

The rabbit, or more commonly known as Angel, simply watched Rose as she struggled to fit into the small cottage. Finally squeezing through the tiny door, she collapsed onto the floor panting. Twilight walked through after her and Fluttershy behind her.

The yellow mare flew over to the panting black wolf to see if she was okay. Then the wolf started making a noise that Twilight could only describe as possible chuckles. She tilted her head at this, but remained quiet as she observed Fluttershy get the necessary materials and go to work on the wolf.

The process this time took a little longer, but was easily more nerve wracking by tenfold. Every time Fluttershy stuck the needle into Rose's skin, the she-would would let out either deep growl or a whimper. After a few more times that seemed like Rose would just snap up Fluttershy, the operation was finally done.

Fluttershy stepped back from the giant wolf to give her room to stand. In the hour and a half that it took her to complete the stitches, several of the animals came back from where they were hiding upon realizing that the giant black wolf may not be a threat.

Rose stood up onto all four and stretched a bit like a cat, pops being heard along her spine. Twilight and Fluttershy winced at the sound, but Rose groaned in satisfaction. Rose then looked at the two ponies as if to say, "What now?"

"Well, thank you for all your help Fluttershy, but I would like to find out more about her and her kind of wolf. I have never seen anything like her in the books!" Fluttershy just nodded her head and went into the kitchen to start making breakfast. Rose rolled her eyes at Twilight's, but didn't make any sounds of disapproval. "Well, Rose, if you could please stay here with Fluttershy until I get back, I won't be long."

Rose just nodded her head and shook her front a paw in manner that told Twilight to just go. However, as Twilight opened the door to leave, she found a certain cyan pegasus mare standing in her way. For a few tense moments nopony did anything, until Rainbow Dash leapt forward with terrifying speed. "WHAT DID YOU DO WITH FLUTTERSHY?!"

Author's Note:

Whoo! Another chapter already! I worked hard so I could get you guys this. However, do you feel I was making Fluttershy a tad too assertive when she went and helped Rose? Also, any typos or anything that sounded weird? Leave your constructive criticism in the comment section *Points down and in deep voice* below. And as always, have nice day.