• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 1,113 Views, 33 Comments

Falling Equestria - Playtindo



Nyx struggles to protect her family 6 months after a changeling invasion.

  • ...
5
 33
 1,113

Chapter 3: Reunions and Exposition

The three mares stared at each other for the longest time, none of them willing to start off the joyous (or awkward) conversation ahead of them.

"You're both alive," said Rarity, "I...I knew the situation in Canterlot was bad for your group Cadence, and after Fillydelphia I thought the changelings had either captured or killed you Nyx." She clearly was having a hard time processing that one of the four princesses and the reincarnation of Nightmare Moon were both alive.

"Rarity," Nyx began, "those idiots couldn't kill us if they tried."

"Really? Those 'idiots' seemed to make quick work of Princess Celestia back at Fillydelphia."

"OK, hold up!" Cadence shouted as she stomped a hoof on Rarity's desk. "What happened at Fillydelphia?! Nyx and Orion keep mentioning it like it's some big deal! The only thing I know is that Twilight tasked my husband to guard Nyx and her friends, and that he died protecting them! Can somepony please fill in the blanks?!" She was clearly frustrated that there were secrets being kept from her.

"You never told her?" Asked Rarity.

"About the princesses? No. About Shining, Twilight and her friends? Yes." Replied Nyx.

"She has a right to know! She is pretty much the ruler of Equestria now after what happened there." Rarity said.

"I was waiting for the right time. And right now seems perfect." Nyx said as she turned to Cadence. "You might want to take a seat, because you need to hear every word."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a month after the initial attack on Canterlot, Manehatten and Ponyville. Princess Celestia received word from one of her spies that Chrysalis was holed up in Fillydelphia. After hearing this she gathered up Luna, Twilight, her friends and I to lead an infiltration of their base.

The chariot that held Nyx and Twilight flew over the skies of Fillydelphia as Princess Celestia looked for a place to land safely. This would have been a simple task if not for one thing.

The entire city seemed deserted.

They landed in Century Square, where Chrysalis' base of operations should have been. Shining Armor and his team were scanning the rooftops for any hidden changeling snipers.(1)

"This is too easy," whispered Nyx as they entered City Hall.

"You don't say?" Rainbow Dash spat,"We practically waltzed into the enemy base and there wasn't a single changeling anywhere outside."

"Do you think your spy was wrong Celestia?" Twilight asked.

"Metal Gear has never been wrong before, but this does seem quite suspicious." Celestia said as the group walked into the main hall of the building to find a beaten, bloodied stallion in the middle of the room.

"Metal Gear!" Celestia exclaimed as she rushed towards the fallen spy.

"Princess, don't.." He stopped mid sentence as a loud beeping sound erupted all around the group. Nyx looked around and several tiny red lights flashing in the walls and ceilings.

"GET DOWN NOW!"Shining Armor shouted as the building erupted in fire.

It was a trap, and we had walked right into it like a filly into a candy shop.

Nyx's ears rang like Hearth's Warming bells as she looked up from her crouched position. She could feel bits of shrapnel inbedded into her skin, she did a quick look over her body a saw no serious injuries. That's a relief. She thought as the dust around her cleared to a sight that she thought she would never see.

Princess Celestia, the Princess of the sun, one of the duo of god-like alicorns in Equestria, was lying over Metal Gear with two magical needles protruding out of her forehead and neck.

We were all in a state of pure shock, Twilight tried to use some healing spells with Luna's aid. but it was no use. Princess Celestia was dead.

Twilight raised her head into the air in a wordless wail of grief. Similar emotions were being openly shown throughout the entire group.

"Oh this is just perfect, Celestia's dead and I have three alicorns ready to join her." An all-to-familiar voice said from the top of the nearest staircase.

"Chrysalis!" Twilight screamed as she ran toward her, her mane and tail erupting in flame. But before she could reach the Queen of the Changelings a small, black, crab-like creature leaped on the back of her head and dug it's stinger like tail into the back of her neck. She let out a cry of pain as she staggered back and fell in front of the group, spasming as the harness began to take control of her.

"Shiny...get them...out..of here!" She said as changelings began to cut down the guard escort.

They cut us off from Twilight's friends as we made our way out of the buildings. The changelings destroyed our chariots, so there was only one way out.

"I'm not leaving you!" Nyx said as she unsheathed her sword.

"This isn't a discussion! Twily ordered me to guard you, and I'm ordering you to get out of here! You may be the former commander of the Shadowbolts(2), but if you die, Cadence will be the last alicorn ruler of Equestria, and I don't want that weight on her shoulders! Go!" As he finished changelings erupted from the building and threatened to surround the two.

"Good luck BUFF(3)," Nyx said with tears in her eyes as she flew away from the city as fast as she could.

The last thing I saw Shining Armor doing was bringing a sword down on a changelings neck. He was a good stallion and a an even greater uncle. After that I met up with Orion and Dawn at Midway and we made our way to Canterlot. And as for Twilight and the rest of her friends, we haven't heard from any of them since.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That is, until now." Nyx finished as she turned back to Rarity, pacing the room throughout the entire story."How did you survive?"

"Pinkie and I were thrown into a hallway when the explosives went off, we were able to jump out a window and into the alley's." Rarity began, "After a week of dodging patrols we finally managed to leave the city and make our way here. We informed the townsfolk what had happened, and they initiated what the Mayor calls the "Republic Plan." Where a mare is elected as the president of a new Equestrian government until a new monarchy can be established."

"Wait," Interrupted Cadence, "You mentioned Pinkie, is she alive?"

"She came back here with me and became the one-mare-welcome-wagon. She's always the first one told when a new group arrives. And I am sadly one of the last."

"She's probably calling our party for arriving the 'Thanks-for-not-dying-on-us party." Nyx said with a slight chuckle.

"Well then, lets go find out, shall we?" Said Rarity as she walked towards the door.

Author's Note:

FINALLY! I HATE WRITERS BLOCK!!
I now have a (hopefully) solid writing schedule for this story!
Falling Equestria is monthly to bi weekly updates.
(1) Magical snipers, use of a concentrated magical needle fired at vital points in the body for quick, clean kills.
(2) The Shadowbolts, an elite special ops branch of the Equestrian military, disbanded after a squad was put on trial for the massacre of a small, Zebrican village.
(3) BUFF= Best Uncle Friend Forever. Taken from Winter Bells, by Pen Stroke