• Published 1st Sep 2013
  • 3,558 Views, 274 Comments

Starbloom Chronicles II - L_Wolf



The sequel to Starbloom Chronicles, this story follows the new adventures of Starbloom and her friends.

  • ...
2
 274
 3,558

Chapter 13

~*{Chapter Thirteen}*~

Starbloom and Sweetie Belle spent the early part of the morning in Ponyville Market pickup what Starbloom needed for the library. Starbloom took her time to get find and get everything she needed, she felt the fresh air and sunlight would Sweetie Belle would make Sweetie Belle feel better.

Once she got everything on her list she started on her way back to the library, but as they walked back from the marketplace the familiar green mist swirled in front of her. She came to a stop and caught the scroll in her magic once it appeared; she opened the scroll and started to read it over.

Dear Starbloom,

Me, Rarity and Spike are unable to catch the train we planned to catch today, so we won't be able to return to Ponyville today. Nevertheless, we should be home by tomorrow by the time you get off school. Unless of course you've told Sweetie Belle about her parents, then you have my permission to stay home with her if she doesn't feel up to going.

I know this is a lot to ask of you, but I know you can handle it. Just please don't let yourself be stressed over taking care of everything. I know how you can get wanting to handle everything yourself. Just focus on taking care of Sweetie Belle until I return anything else we can deal with then.

Your loving mother,

Twilight Sparkle

"What does it say?" Sweetie Belle asked softly, she hoped it wasn't more bad news. She didn't know if she could handle more.

"Mom, Rarity and Spike can't make it home until tomorrow. I guess something came up keeping them in Canterlot for an extra day." She said rereading the letter to make sure she didn't miss anything. "She also said we can stay home from school tomorrow if you don't feel like going."

Sweetie Belle tilted her head to one side blinking, she wasn't sure how she felt about going to school tomorrow. Staying home with her sister sounded good, but she didn't want to worry her friends if she didn't show up. "I'll have to think about that." She said after a few moments.

Starbloom nodded at Sweetie as they started walking back to the library again. Starbloom rolling the scroll up and tucking it away in her saddlebags. "I understand Sweetie; take as much time as you need." Starbloom said smiling at her softly. "I'm sure everyone will understand if you stay home though."

Sweetie smiled back faintly nodding, "I know, I just don't want them to worry about me if I don't show up." She said walking with her into the library, "But I'm sure Rarity will need me as well."

Starbloom nodded at Sweetie smiling at her, "Well you don't have to decide right now, take some time to think about it." Starbloom said moving to the kitchen of the library to empty out her saddlebags putting away what they picked up.

Sweetie watched Starbloom put everything away sitting at the table. "I will, I just don't want to let anyone down." She said her horn shimmering as she got down a cup and filled it with orange juice. "Rarity is going to need me at home, but I don't want our friends or Ms. Cheerilee to worry."

"Sweetie, you won't let anyone down no matter what you choose to do. Ms. Cheerilee will understand if you stay home." Starbloom said looking over at her. "So will our friends." She smiled at her, she wasn't sure about Rarity but she was sure Rarity would understand perfectly if Sweetie Belle wanted to go school.

Sweetie Belle smiled at Starbloom nodding slowly taking a deep breath. "Do you think Rarity would understand? If I decided to go to school." She asked taking a sip of her juice.

"I think she would understand Sweetie Belle, she'll have her friends with her as well." Starbloom answered putting her saddlebags away and joining Sweetie at the table. "I'm sure Rarity would be happy to have you go back to school. Not that I think she would force you to go if you don't feel up to it. You understand what I'm trying to say right?"

Sweetie Belle sat quietly for a few minutes as she considered what Starbloom had said before nodding smiling faintly. "I think I understand, Rarity would want me to do what's best for me." She said softly looking at Starbloom who nodded at her smiling. "I just, don't know what that is right now."

Starbloom smiled again at Sweetie Belle, "You'll figure it out Sweetie, you're a smart filly. You just need to some to think about it before you decide."

They sat quietly for a few moments before hearing a knock at the door. "Wonder who that is, the library isn't open on Sundays." Starbloom said as she got to her hooves and went to the from door opening it. "Hello?"

"Hey sugar cube, can we come in?" Applejack asked looking down at Starbloom smiling. Apple Bloom was standing next to her.

"Oh, hello Applejack, of course." She said moving to letting her and Apple Bloom come in, "Mom isn't home though."

"I know, Apple Boom told me what was going on." Applejack said as she came in, she had a basket on her back. "I thought it best to come check up on you and Sweetie Belle."

"Hope it's alright I told my sister Starbloom," Apple Bloom said looking at Starbloom blushing faintly. "Wasn't sure if it was supposed to be secret."

Starbloom shook her head a bit, "It's alright Apple Bloom," she said smiling. "Sweetie Belle is in the kitchen." Starbloom added as she walked back to the kitchen with Apple Bloom and Applejack following her. "Sweetie Belle, Applejack, and Apple Bloom are here.

"Hi Apple Bloom, Hi Applejack." Sweetie Belle said smiling at them, she noticed the basket and the hurt look in Applejack's eyes as well as the sheepish look on Apple Bloom's face and figured Apple Bloom must have told her sister what happen.

"How you holding up sugar cube?" Applejack asked before turning to remove the basket off her back and put it on the table. She removed the towel covering the contents of the basket. Inside was a fresh baked apple pie, bread and a couple of bottles of apple juice.

"I'll be alright; I miss them a lot and wish I could see them again." Sweetie answered Applejack looking up at her. "But... I don't think they would want me to be sad."

Applejack nodded at Sweetie Belle, "I know they wouldn't want you to be sad." Applejack said smiling, "Just remember they loved you and remember the happy times you spent together." She added before removing the items from the basket and placing them on the table.

Sweetie smiled back at Applejack, "I know, thank you." She said looking over at Apple Bloom who walked over and took a seat at the table. Starbloom got down some small plates and forks placing them on the table.

"So, when are Twilight, Rarity, and Spike supposed to get back from Canterlot?" Applejack asked taking a pie cutter and cutting the pie putting a slice on the plates.

"Tomorrow, they tried to get back today but something came up." Starbloom said getting some cups for them. "I'm not sure what time though; she said it would be when we're at school, if we go."

Applejack nodded as she listens using a knife to cut the bread into slices for them. "I see, will y'all be staying home or goin to school?"

Starbloom glanced over at Sweetie letting her answer she filled the cups with the apple juice. "I... I haven't really decided," Sweetie said softly. "I want to be here for my sister when she gets home. But I don't want Ms. Cheerilee or anyone to worry about me either."

"I understand sugar cube, if you stay home Apple Bloom can let Ms. Cheerilee and your friends know what's going on." Applejack said and Apple Bloom nodded in agreement.

Sweetie smiled before looking over at Apple Bloom, "You're being pretty quiet, is something wrong?" Sweetie asked tilting her head to one side. Apple Bloom was never normally this quiet.

"Ya, I'm alright just got a lot on my mind. Applejack finally told me the truth about my ma and pa." Apple Bloom said giving Sweetie Belle a reassuring smile.

Sweetie nodded slowly in understanding, "Oh I see," was all she could really think to say. She herself was curious about what happen but she didn't want to pry either.

Applejack looked over at Apple Bloom and Sweetie, listening. "It's alright Apple Bloom ya can tell em what happen." Applejack said seeing Apple Bloom wanted to say more. Starbloom joined them at the table, sitting next to Sweetie Belle.

"Ya sure it's alright Applejack?" Apple Bloom asked when Applejack nodded in response Apple Bloom looked over at Sweetie Belle and Starbloom. "Well, this happen when I was still a little foal."

"Ma was on her way home from the marketplace with some stuff to make pies with when she was hit by a speeding cart. She... didn't survive the impact from it. Pa was pretty devastated after it happen and his heart gave out while he was working in the fields." Apple Bloom finished her story sighing softly wiping at her eyes with a hoof. Applejack herself was teary eyed but managed to keep herself together.

"I'm really sorry to hear that Apple Bloom," Sweetie Belle said patting Apple Bloom on the shoulder softly.

Starbloom's mind was going over the details she heard from Apple Bloom and her analytical mind kicked in. "Did they ever find out..." She cut herself shaking her head a bit. "Sorry never mind, it's not important." She said blushing softly everyone looking over at her.

"Spit it out sugar cube, what was ya gonna ask?" Applejack asked looking at Starbloom a bit curious about what she was thinking.

"I was just wondering if they ever caught the pony driving the cart." Starbloom said softly unsure if she should bring that part up.

Applejack paused and thought about it for a few minutes. "Ya know, I don't rightly know if they did. Big Mac and Granny Smith never mentioned anything about it."

Starbloom nodded softly at Applejack and took a drink of her apple juice she wasn't sure why that detail stuck out to her. "I'm sure they did. If it's alright to ask, what were your parents’ names?" Starbloom asked looking up at Applejack.

"Ma was Autumn Gold, and pa was Pioneer Apple." Applejack said nodding faintly smiling, for the first time in a while she didn't get too upset over remembering parents.

Starbloom smiled back making a mental note of the names. "Those are very nice names," Starbloom said taking a drink of her juice. She could use the names to check if the driver of the cart was ever caught, thought she doesn't expect to learn too much about it.

The next hour was filled was small talk and encouragement for Sweetie Belle to make her feel better before Applejack and Apple Bloom left to go back to the farm. "What are you thinking Starbloom?" Sweetie Belle asked while they got the table cleared off.

Starbloom blinked looking over at Sweetie Belle, "What do you mean? I'm not thinking about anything." She said unsure what Sweetie was talking about.

"You have that look like something is bothering you." Sweetie Belle said, "I've known you long enough to tell."

Starbloom blinked again tilting her head faintly. "Oh well just something about the story Apple Bloom told us about her parents bothers me is all. It's probably nothing though."

"About the cart driver?" Sweetie Belle asked settling at the table and sipping some more apple juice.

"Yea, just wondering what happens to that pony driving the cart and why he didn't stop." Starbloom said joining her at the table. "Like I said it's probably nothing and I doubt I'll figure anything out about it." Starbloom wasn't sure if she would learn anything but she couldn't shake the feeling she had to try to investigate it and learn the truth.