• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 944 Views, 53 Comments

Snips' Clips Barbershop - AtomicMuffin



Mares have the spa, but where do the stallions go to relax? For some there's the bar, for others there's the barbershop

  • ...
2
 53
 944

Welcome to the Shop (Prologue)

Mornings in Ponyville are usually calm and peaceful, except whenever there is some sort of unnatural or otherworldly disturbance to ruin it. Luckily, this morning isn't one of those. The sun was just peeking over the horizon and the air was just starting to lose the crisp taste of the night. The smell of fresh bread wafted through the air.

Snips made his way to his favorite stall for breakfast. Even at this early hour the hearty sent of fresh rolls, doughnuts, and bread assailed his nostrils. His mouth began to water in anticipation of the delectable treat to come, but he wasn't thinking about the food. Oh no, his thoughts were focused on the mare tending the stall. He stopped by two, sometimes three, times a week just to see her lovingly display her wares.

Her name was Barley Flour. Honestly, she hated that name and insisted that everyone call her Sweet Roll instead. When asked, she would shake her head and ask why any mare would want to be named "Barley." Nevertheless, she would always greet her customers with a smile on her face.

As he approached the stall, Sweet Roll had just laid out a fresh set of muffins. The only other patron was a grey pegasus who eyed the muffins critically, as if she was a jeweler eyeing a particularly interesting stone. She made her purchase and flew off into the morning carrying a bag bulging with the day's mail. Sweet Roll waved to the departing pegasus and leaned onto her counter.

"G'morning Snips. What can I get you today, sugar?"

Snips froze temporarily. Even though he was a very frequent patron, he never could function properly around the mare of his dreams. Whenever he was around the chocolate colored earth pony, he would get lost in her golden eyes. Or sometimes he would just stare at her mane, marveling at the honey colored locks cut boyishly short (Supposedly the mares called this a pixie cut). Normally Snips didn't like short manes on mares, but it framed her face perfectly. Plus, with her white freckles, sugar sweet personality, and the occasional flour stain, she was rocking the whole package. In other words, she was a grade-A certified hottie in his book!

Of course, at the moment he just stood there, practically drooling like an idiot. Finally coming to his senses, he pointed a hoof indiscriminately at the display cart set up behind the counter. Sweet Roll turned around (How he loved when she did that!) and stuffed a few bagels into a paper bag. She hoofed the bag to Snips, who levitated it near his head. Not trusting his tongue, he pulled out his wallet and was about to count out the money before Sweet Roll said, "Not today, darlin'. Breakfast is on the house. You are my best customer after all. Unless you just come here to see little ole me." She giggled behind her hoof and waved as Snips walked off with his bag of bagels, blushing furiously and too embarrassed to even thank her for her generosity.

~`~`~

After a short walk, Snips finally made it to his refuge. It wasn't anything too fancy, just a single story wooden building sandwiched between two other business. The wood wasn't even painted, and the only splotches of color on the outside were the now still red, white, and blue barber pole and the sign hanging over the door proudly bearing the title "Snips' Clips" under a giant pair of scissors. With a casual flick of his hoof, the barber pole spun to life in front of the shop. The red, white, and blue stripes danced an endless waltz that could only signify one thing... the barber was in and ready for business. The inside was much what anypony would expect. Brightly lit, linoleum floors, a single barber's chair, and all of the tools of the trade arranged carefully on a small cart next to the chair. A set of benches lined the right wall so that patrons could wait and socialize, while the left was taken up by a massive mirror. Tucked in the corner was an old cash register that Snips had received from his father as a gift for opening his own business. It was still early yet, so Snips took the time to sweep the floor, straighten up his supplies, and oil the barber's chair. Mostly, he berated himself for his less than suave visit earlier.

I can't believe she laughed,thought Snips. I mean, what does that even mean? Is it so hard to believe that I go there for her? I guess it would help if I said something. It's not like that was the first time I froze up. At this rate it probably wasn't even the HUNDREDTH time! Why can't I just ask her out? That's right, because she's a beautiful mare, and I'm just some guy who can't even talk to her. She'd never go for a guy like me any-

He was interrupted by the tinkling sound of the bell as somepony walked through the front door. Quickly breaking out of his inner monologue, he cried out, "Welcome to Snips' Clips," and walked over to meet his first customer of the day.

A massive red stallion stood near the doorway, and Snips greeted him with great enthusiasm. "Heya, Big Mac! Haven't seen you here in a while. The usual, right?"

"Eeyup."

"Well sit down and make yourself comfortable."

The workhorse managed to get himself into the chair with only a little difficulty, while Snips rummaged though a drawer to find his XXXL barbers cape. He soon found it and threw it over the larger stallion's body. Tucking a towel into the back, he used his magic to clasp it shut. He spun the chair expertly to let Big Mac see himself in the giant mirror that replaced one of the walls.

"The usual, right? Same length and everything?"

"Eeyup."

"Alright, let's do it." And so he set to work on the red stallion with a pair of scissors wreathed in his magic. As Snips worked, he asked questions about the farm and the Apple family. Most of the time he answered with a simple "yes" or "no." Most folks were used to Mac's quiet disposition, but there is something magical about a barbershop. Maybe it is just the comforting atmosphere, or the bond of trust that grows between patron and barber. Either way, anypony who drops by Snips' Clips invariably has a story to tell. Big Mac was no exception.

Snips eventually asked how Applebloom was doing. He hadn't seen his former classmate in a while, but he knew that she had grown up and now worked Sweet Apple Acres with the rest of her family. Big Mac gave a good-natured chuckle at the mention of his youngest sister. He shocked Snips by saying, "Whelp, she's been workin' the farm with me an' AJ for a while now. Ever since she got her cutie mark, Ah swear she's been runnin' wild tryin'ta fix stuff and build new stuff for the farm. Now, she's pretty handy with 'er hooves, but Ah ain't sold on this apiary idea of hers."

Slightly shocked at getting more than a one word response, Snips pressed further, "What's an apiary?"

"Uh place where ya keep bees to harvest their honey. Applebloom reckons its a good idea to start marketing honey out in town. Figures Sweet Apple Honey would take off like a timberwolf from a weed-whacker."

"How'd that work out?"

Big Mac grimaced, then said, "Well, I wasn't around mahself, but apparently what happened was..."

Author's Note:

And here we go again! Another story and another start. Hope you like it! :)

Don't forget to like, favorite, and comment.