• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 2,511 Views, 65 Comments

Hungry - Cryosite



Despite facing loss and hardship, Scootaloo never completely gives up. Silver Spoon is used to having anything she wants or needs given to her. When the two end up together, both learn about a world they'd never really seen before.

  • ...
37
 65
 2,511

FML

Another pair of purple eyes, another mirror, but the similarities ended there. Silver Spoon had been at her vanity for awhile. The ritual was routine, and the contemplative filly before her would soon be ready for another day. As she deftly maneuvered her brush in her hooves, her thoughts wandered to the significant events of her recent past.


She was back in Los Pegasus, at her old school, where she had fit in well and had been deemed acceptable by her peers. She had been pretty and well groomed even then. On her first day of school, she was approached by one filly after another throughout the day, either directly or with little notes. She'd been happy that so many ponies wanted to be her friend.


She set the manebrush down and began to braid.


She had been found acceptable by the daughters of rich and noble families, not a threat to the little circles of power that shifted and clashed around her mysteriously; though she was just a commoner, her grooming and bearing were pleasing enough to them.

Her new friend, Crystal Flakes, would chastise her for hanging out with other friends like Gold Dust or Mithril Chord as the weeks went on. She'd been forced to choose one friend over another, only to find Gold Dust at the side of Crystal Flakes the next week, apparently now acceptable as a friend. Even now, a bit older, she couldn't quite fathom the motives that drove those daughters of various nobles. Instead she quickly learned to simply be neutral and observant and go along with the near-daily shifts. Pay attention to who is in charge, follow their lead, make a show of supporting whatever attack or defense they made and not hold grudges. Ignore the ponies not playing the game.


Her mane was styled just as she liked: a long braided ponytail bound with a tiny silk ribbon. Her gray coat was brushed and cleaned to shine like polished pewter in the right light, her tail flowing freely with the white streak separated with another little bow, her silver-rimmed glasses polished to a high gloss and perched low on her muzzle. She was, as always, elegant and professional-looking, like her mother. She was ready to face the day. Down the stairs and through the short hallway brought her to the foyer where her saddlebags awaited. They were hoof-made and quite comfortable.


Mithril Chord was admiring her new saddlebags. Soon a small crowd surrounded Silver Spoon, making her just a little uncomfortable, though the comments about the cut and quality of the stitching were all chattered about in envious tones. While she was pleased by the positive attention, she knew it was bad to show up her friend Crystal Flakes who was watching from the edge of the crowd with an unreadable expression.

Sure enough, she was exiled from the usual hangout spots at recess, and found herself with the outcast group led by Mithril Chord. The next day, Crystal Flakes had her own gem-studded set of bags, and was once again the center of attention. Silver Spoon remained in exile for a few weeks, until Sunshine Drops overthrew Crystal Flakes, and took Silver Spoon into her circle.


Yet nearly everyone here in Ponyville had their own hoof-made bags, and didn't bat an eye at hers.


She had her own vanity, all to herself. Silver Spoon had never had such a convenient luxury in her own room before moving to Ponyville. There had been more than one bathroom in their old home, but she could now stay in the privacy of her own little haven until she was fully ready to be seen. No more trotting through the hall with bedmane in the mornings, rushing to the bathroom to avoid being seen unkempt. No more quiet laughter from the help after Silver Spoon closed the bathroom door. Her first day in her new home was a fond memory indeed.


The house she was departing was certainly larger and finer. The scent of dust raised by stepping onto the dirt road in front of her home reminded her of another difference.


It was a dreary, gray day in Los Pegasus along Rodeo Drive, and the cobblestones glistened in the subdued sunlight that filtered through the ceiling of clouds overhead. The occasional passersby were accompanied by distorted reflections in the wet street below them while they drifted from shop to shop. Like everypony around her, Silver Spoon clip-clopped along the wet stone with sure steps, playing her part in the cacophony of hooves in the bustling city.


Her first spring in Ponyville, while still learning the route to school. There were no clip-clops from the ponies around, instead squish-squishings created an odd, squelchy background to the drizzle. Silver Spoon had spatters of mud up her legs, underbelly, and sides. Carrying an umbrella was awkward, and only stopped the water from above. Even wearing boots and walking slowly could not keep her coat clean from the splashing rain and mud puddles. The only solution on a day like this was to bring brushes, and arrive at a destination early.


Today at least was dry. As Silver Spoon approached the large shade tree at the bend in the road, she met up with Diamond Tiara, as usual, and performed their greeting ritual automatically.

“Bump, bump, sugar lump, rump!” They sang in chorus.

When they first met, Silver Spoon had been found acceptable and non-threatening yet again, and immediately deferred to this more dominant filly. While Diamond Tiara was a commoner too, she acted the part of a young noble filly, so Silver Spoon adopted her role instinctively.

Their greeting complete, the pair turned toward the school, but before they could even take a single step, they heard a faint buzzing noise behind them, growing louder.


Afternoon history class was boring. To his credit, Professor Fact Checker III was trying hard to hide that he was repeating the same material from last week. He was doing voices and using archaic Olde Equestrian to retell the story. His efforts surely worked on most of the other students and they likely thought this was a new subject, but Silver Spoon quickly recognized the names and dates. A quick look at her notebook confirmed her suspicion; apparently today would be another pointless repetition intended for the slow ones in class. Ones like the gangly orange unicorn colt with the green mane, or the pudgy earth pony filly with the pale yellow coat, curly red-mane, and a lisp.

She glanced over at Diamond Tiara, a couple of seats away on the other side of Apple Bloom, and recognized the zoned-out look in her unfocused eyes. Passing notes was out of the question. Not that Apple Bloom would cooperate. Silver Spoon's attention then went to the clock: still a lengthy block of time until recess. Professor Checker was “in the zone” and most of the students around her were in rapt attention to his lecture, so there was little risk of being noticed if her eyes roamed a bit. Unfortunately it didn't take long before her favorite activity of observing the ponies around her was quickly depleted of entertainment value. Nopony was doing anything remotely interesting. She inspected her left hoof for any specks of dirt she may have missed during her routine brushing upon her arrival at class. Spotless. The right one as well.

Diamond Tiara was spotless too. No trace of the morning’s mudbath was evident on her pink coat. There was a trace of a frown on her muzzle though. Not like her usual scowl shown in school, but a subtle hint Silver Spoon could recognize when Diamond Tiara was thinking of something unpleasant.

Memories were a ready fallback, so she zoned out like her patron, adopting her own paying-attention mask with an almost silent sigh. The pony to her left formed a ready prompt for her memories. Silver Spoon observed her without drawing undue attention to herself, using the edge of her vision. Diamond Tiara seemed to take pride in tormenting that one in particular, along with her two friends from another class.


“You got a problem with blank-flanks? I said, 'you got a problem with blank-flanks?'” An orange pegasus filly with a purple mane crawled out from under the table where she had been hiding with that pale unicorn friend of hers. Clearly, she intended to recruit Apple Bloom to their circle, and step into “the game.” What kind of entrance was that, though? So lame.

“The problem is, I mean she is like totally not special,” Silver Spoon countered with the obvious. Diamond Tiara had been especially condescending over that topic lately, after recently acquiring her cutie mark.

“No, it means she's full of potential,” Scootaloo's unicorn lackey, Sweetie Belle, squeaked out. Silver Spoon had seen this sort of gambit before. The weaker fillies would band together for the safety in numbers to try and fend off the likes of Diamond Tiara.

“It means she could be great at anything. The possibilities are, like, endless.” Scootaloo must have rehearsed this with her friend to coordinate their attacks so smoothly. The jab at her Los Pegasus accent was really silly though. She couldn't tell if it was done so poorly on purpose, or if Scootaloo simply couldn't speak any faster.

Diamond Tiara tried to throw some of her own barbs in, but was shot down. She hadn't been used to real opposition, and was clearly flustered. The two blank-flanks even somehow recruited Twilight Sparkle, the town librarian, into this battle. Though their argument was clearly just some appeal to emotion, they had won the crowd. Silver Spoon wasn't even sure how or why her patron was even losing this fight.

“Whatever. We still think you're losers. Right, Diamond Tiara? Bump, bump, sugar... lump…” Silver Spoon tried to rally her friend with their greeting ritual, only to draw out a frustrated dismissal from Diamond Tiara as she retreated to the stairwell to fume. Apparently, they had already lost?

“Not now, Silver Spoon.” They watched the rest of the party through the bannister of the stairs with pouted lips and narrowed eyes.


Scootaloo and her friend Sweetie Belle had been passive nobodies until that day, but with that confrontation, they they stepped into the game with Diamond Tiara. She couldn't recall exactly when she'd met the two, but that day stood out to her as a more important beginning: With the addition of Apple Bloom making the pair into a trio, they had formed their circle, and even named it.

Silver Spoon had learned much later that Apple Bloom was nobility, a fact not obvious from her appearance or demeanor. On Family Appreciation Day, it was revealed that Celestia herself had granted land to the Apple family. Her worthiness as a rival in the game had increased in Silver Spoon's eyes.

Playing “dirty” was occasionally necessary to offset the advantage of status, connections, and simple numbers the Cutie Mark Crusaders had. While she and Diamond Tiara held obvious sway over the school body, the Crusaders seemed to be adept at building ties with celebrities, including royalty.

Inviting Apple Bloom's cousin into her and Diamond Tiara's circle had worked too well for awhile, with Babs Seed taking over before betraying them. Their attempt to spread their own influence to beyond Ponyville during the Equestria Games had been thwarted by obvious favoritism. The hooves of the Cutie Mark Crusaders were far from clean. Apple Bloom had been willing to use dubious potion magic on several occasions, resulting in poisoning herself, her brother and their teacher, Miss Cheerilee.

“No, it means she's full of potential,” echoed again in her mind in Sweetie Belle’s voice. Potential indeed. Apple Bloom had dangerous potential, if anypony were to ask Silver Spoon.

Idly she wondered how different things would be with her circle in Los Pegasus. Apple Bloom and her fellow crusaders, except perhaps Sweetie Belle, had little use for the usual sorts of baubles and finery that were so often the subject of “battle.” Their rejection of social protocol would be entertaining to watch for sure.

Movement in the ponies around her drew Silver Spoon back to the present. Her eyes darted around her to take in the restless shift in energy. Diamond Tiara was looking a little more lively as well. Prof. Checker was silent and didn't seem to be looking at her. She looked up at the clock and noted it was seconds before the recess bell rang. Like her classmates, she watched the last few ticks until the bell sounded.


While the other foals rushed outside as quickly as possible, Silver Spoon strolled out beside Diamond Tiara calmly and sedately. The two of them were the undisputed rulers of the playground, and had their choice of entertainment. They had no need to rush to get “first dibs” on anything. Today, Diamond Tiara was in the mood to swing, so they commandeered the swing set from a pair of colts, and even drafted the simpletons to push Diamond Tiara and herself. This was the sort of perk Silver Spoon was used to enjoying whenever she was on the winning side.

Around them in the sandbox, numerous other foals made an unrestrained cacophony as they chased each other, played with jump ropes and balls, or climbed over, under, and through various ramps and barrels designed for that purpose. All of these ponies submitted to Diamond Tiara, therefore could enjoy their recess playing with whatever she didn't use. The outcasts stayed outside the sandbox. From her vantage on the swing, Silver Spoon could see the two fillies poking around in the grass and budding flowers, clearly bored, as they talked quietly among themselves. This is what happened to those who opposed and lost. Silver Spoon was familiar with loss, too, though it hadn't happened to her in Ponyville yet.


“Hey, Loony Spoon, that looks pretty good. Trade it with me, will ya?” Crystal Flakes came into view, flanked silently by Mithril Chord, as Silver Spoon was about to take the first bite of her lunch: a mixed fruit and cream crepe, dusted with powdered sugar. She sat alone on a bench outside in the chill, rather than inside the warm cafeteria, and was a little surprised to even see her former friends. The insulting nickname made it clear that this was no attempt at a peace offering.

Crystal Flakes held out a bowl of dried pineapple chunks, probably something from the cafeteria, rather than brought from home like her own crepe. After shaking it “enticingly” in the air in front of Silver Spoon, she gave a mock-friendly grin. The dried fruit didn't look very appetizing, but Silver Spoon held her napkin-wrapped lunch out with a sigh. “Sure thing, Crystal, I haven't had pineapple this week.” The food items passed from hoof to magic and magic to hoof. “Want to sit with me while we eat?”

They used to sit together at lunch often, before the incident with the bags. Crystal Flakes' eyes darted to the space at Silver Spoon's side for a moment, before her expression turned from a mask of fake friendliness, to a more honest sneer. She turned her nose up into the air with a “hmph!” and trotted back into the cafeteria with Mithril Chord silently in tow, and her crepe floating beside her in an icy white glow. Silver Spoon wasn't particularly good at the game. She had just wanted to sit with her friends and enjoy lunch, but in hindsight, realized her faux pas. Being seen eating with an outcast would be a clear sign of weakness in Crystal Flakes. A chill breeze stung in Silver Spoon’s damp eyes, as she nibbled at her lunch. It was sweet, but she didn't really taste it.


The bell called all the foals back into class, so Silver Spoon leaped from her swing, arced through the air with her legs folded like a pegasus, only to extend them at the last moment to land in the sand gracefully. Not to be outdone, Diamond Tiara attempted the same, but stumbled when her hooves met the sand, followed shortly by her barrel. Silver Spoon quickly looked away to “not notice.” Behind her she could hear Diamond Tiara berating the colts for their insolent snickering, while the four of them trotted back to class.


What Silver Spoon didn't see was an orange pegasus close her hanging jaw, then rush to catch up to her yellow friend and head off to the other class.


Diamond Tiara was pacing around her room again, with narrowed eyes and a slight frown. A casual observer might make the mistake of identifying the look of the young filly as “upset,” but Silver Spoon was far from casual, and could recognize by the tight-lipped frown and focused set of her patron's eyes that Diamond Tiara was thinking exclusively about something. “Plotting” might be a more accurate word. Despite her classic beauty, Diamond Tiara's features simply formed a natural scowl when she was concentrating. Silver Spoon turned her gaze back to the book and papers in front of her, working on their homework. Her ears flicked toward any sound other than the rustle of paper or the light thudding of Diamond Tiara's hooves on the plush carpet. She was tuned for the voice of her patron when she indulged in a brief bit of reverie.


Silver Spoon looked over the sheet before her: an essay on fruit bats. It was close to sunset on a Thursday evening, but she was finished. She had been surprised when Crystal Flakes had arranged to meet her outside of school. Her hopes of a friendly get together sunk once the nature of the meeting, solely to ask a favor of Silver Spoon, had been revealed. Of course, she was still just a tool; this instance had been to write a paper so her former friend would have time to go to some party. Not like she could say no, but maybe this would be a step toward becoming friends again? So Silver Spoon accepted the task with a smile.

Friday, before school, they met in an alley fitting for shady exchanges such as this. It was a little-used shortcut Silver Spoon found that came in handy when she was running late. Crystal Flakes looked over her work with a greedy smile on her face, then she drew Silver Spoon in for a brief hug in thanks. She didn't invite Silver Spoon to the party, though.

The following Monday had been chaotic. Crystal Flakes had been called to the teacher's desk right after attendance, and was obviously being reprimanded over something. She heard the words “alcohol,” “suspension,” and “academic record,” whenever their teacher's voice rose above a whisper to emphasize some point forcefully.

Later, during recess, Silver Spoon found herself herded with telekinetic bursts behind the classrooms and trapped in a corner by Gold Dust and Mithril Chord. She was stronger than either of them, but she was no fighter, and the pair's magic tripped her up, literally. She tried her best to protect her vulnerable belly and face with all four legs while trying to figure out the context of their shouts of “Sabotage!” and “How do you like revenge now?” scattered in among the tribalist slurs and jabs about her social status as an earth pony commoner. Even while being subjected to violence, Silver Spoon's adrenaline-soaked mind drew in details rapidly like the unicorns' enraged toothy grins, the way they pointed their horns at her aggressively, the narrow pupils of their wide-open eyes, and their ears flattening against their heads.

Silver Spoon’s efforts to fend off physical blows mostly worked, though she’d likely have a few bruises on her limbs and flanks to show for the ordeal. She could do little about the telekinetic mane and tail pulling though, and tried not to cry out too much from those pains.

During a moment where Silver Spoon closed her eyes in anticipation of another kick, the darkness behind her eyelids turned red-pink, like someone was shining a light directly at her. She clenched her eyes more tightly closed to block it out, while her ears tried to decipher her situation. There were cries from her assailants, but no longer aggressive and jeering but… shocked?

Silver Spoon risked opening one eye behind a foreleg. There was a bright light that created a strange aura around her limb, although that brightness was already fading. There was a dazzling-white unicorn with a blazing orange and red mane standing over the cowering forms of Gold Dust, Mithril Chord, and Silver Spoon with the most brilliant horn-glow she'd ever seen before. Her yellow aura was visible on Gold Dust’s and Mithril Chord's horns too, which confused Silver Spoon for a moment before she realized the two were being held down by the newcomer's magic.

The stunning unicorn reminded her of Princess Celestia, and Silver Spoon might have fallen in love with her dashing savior right then and there, if it were not for the filly's less than heroic speech. “Leave that drab dust mule alone. It is beneath nobility to dirty your hooves on the flesh of a commoner!”

Silver Spoon didn't have much room at the time among her panicked thoughts to be really offended. She knew her place, and Sunshine Drops had made her entrance to the game. Grandly so. She offered her gratitude and allegiance to this new patron immediately by awkwardly righting herself into a low bow.


“Ugh. Is it done yet? You've been totally staring at that page forever.” Silver Spoon looked up into the uncomfortably close eyes of Diamond Tiara. There was that look again. The commanding eyes of a noble. First Crystal Flakes', then Sunshine Drops' faces briefly transposed over Diamond Tiara's. The eyes matched perfectly.

“Sure, Di. I was just, like, proofreading it.” Silver Spoon sorted the pages of the short report while reclaiming a bit of personal space, then hoofed them over to her patron for inspection. She had been recalling one of the most violent and frightening memories she had, and not a single trace of what was going on behind her glasses leaked out. Not even the faintest hint of a reaction from Diamond Tiara to indicate that any troubling emotion had shown through Silver Spoon's mask.

The pages drew only a moment's glance before being stuffed into Diamond Tiara's subtly glittering bag. Diamond Tiara may not appreciate the effort, but Silver Spoon had learned long ago to put a little extra effort into these things. Not to do a better job, but to do worse.


Silver Spoon felt a slight but distinct tap of magic on her shoulder, and turned to see—a deflated-looking?—Crystal Flakes. Her normally exquisitely-styled mane and tail hung limply at the mercy of gravity. She almost didn't recognize her old frie—patron. Sunshine Drops had educated her more formally on these sorts of things upon accepting her into the new circle. Silver Spoon was supposed to shun this exile until instructed otherwise by her lady. Therefore a few nervous glances around were necessary to assure her that she was in no danger of being caught and reprimanded; it would be prudent to keep this short as possible.

“To what do I owe the … pleasure, Lady Flakes?” Keep it formal, polite, and nod. She was nobility, they were in public. There could be more trouble for failing to observe protocol, even if she had been ordered to shun the filly. Protocol was useful.

“I wanted to apologize, Silver. I shouldn't have asked you to write that paper for me, I hope you didn't get in trouble as well.” Crystal Flakes wouldn't meet her eyes and gazed at the ground. This transformation was getting to be unnerving for the commoner. What kind of gambit was this?

“I … Milady, I was not reprimanded. I do not think the school staff even suspected it was me. Though … Ladies Gold Dust and Mithril Chord chose to personally defend your honor, they were reminded of their station by Lady Sunshine Drops.” Crystal Flakes looked up at that point, finally meeting Silver Spoon's eyes for the first time that encounter, and displayed an odd mix of confusion and horror as Silver Spoon described the assault she’d endured in such a formal and detached manner. The look quickly disappeared as Crystal Flakes apparently realized there would be no friendly reconciliation.

“The paper was well-written. You got an A on it, if you were curious. I'm not typically an 'A-student' though, which raised suspicions.” The accusation was subtle. Accusation and compliment wed with the blessing of the game. “Regardless, the report was the least of my worries. I did plenty of damage to my own reputation already that weekend.”

Silver Spoon simply stared at her, externally waiting to be given permission to speak or be dismissed, while internally digesting the words, and looking for the attack hidden within. Failing to find one, she just raised an eyebrow while perfectly maintaining the polite mask.

“Even knowing of your hoof in the matter, I can trace no blame back to you that would not harm me further for revealing it.” Silver Spoon was wary of the cracks in Crystal Flakes' guard. Honesty? Showing your hoof? What feint is this? Thoughts raced behind her impassive spectacles.

“Well played, Spoony.” The defeated filly turned, then cantered off and disappeared into a crowded cross-street, and from Silver Spoon's life.


“Whatever. Lets go to Sugarcube Corner and get smoothies.” Diamond Tiara turned, then built to a brisk trot to disappear out the door.

Diamond Tiara would not appreciate or even understand why Silver Spoon would dumb down the work she did for her, and would likely be offended if she discovered it. Silver Spoon had no interest in being part of the fall of another patron. There were no others to seek protection under, and even a fallen Diamond Tiara could make her miserable. She left the remains of her homework for their return, and quickly left to catch up. Pinkie Pie was on shift at the moment, and her smoothies were the best.


The mid-afternoon rush of foals fresh out of school for the day had ended, and the dinner crowd was still several hours away from Sugarcube Corner. Despite the saccharine name and exterior décor, Silver Spoon had been surprised to discover the place was essentially just like the cafes she was used to back in Los Pegasus. Sure, they did their own baking and catered events, but Mr. and Mrs. Cake also brewed teas and coffees—popular with the adults, and made milkshakes and fruit smoothies—popular with everypony. Many of their classmates were starting to lose interest in things like cupcakes, though Silver Spoon had always been rather fond of smoothies and shakes. She and Diamond Tiara had been getting them for years now while the rest of the Ponyville youths were just starting to catch onto them.

The pair stepped in from the brisk spring breezes and warmed up in the quiet and cozy seating area of the shoppe. Silver Spoon drifted off in thought while choosing a seat opposite of Diamond Tiara, who seemed more interested in watching the view out the window than in conversation.


She fitfully brushed her coat near the entry to the gaudy little shoppe. They'd been in “Ponyville” for a week, and her mother had decided to drag her out into public, into this dirty little town that was apparently her new home. “Ugh. Mother, don't these ponies, like, know how to make real streets? There is dirt everywhere! How does anyone manage to stay clean?” She was distressed enough to actually whine.

“Now, now, Little Spoon, you look fine. Come along, so we can have our brunch.” Silver Filigree, her mother, turned heads wherever she went. Even as young as she was, Silver Spoon noticed the admiring looks her mother drew from others, and idolized her mother’s beauty. She dreamed of the day she would draw that kind of attention herself. By imitating her mother, she’d done quite well back in Los Pegasus, even among all the nobles' daughters.

Without hesitation, she stowed her coat brush, tapped all four hooves on the welcome mat, then entered as instructed, prancing a bit toward the table Mother had chosen. A cool, inviting, brown carafe of thick creamy goodness already awaited her; Mother knew her favorite was a chocolate hay smoothie. There was even a cherry carefully split on the rim. Maybe this town wasn't so bad after all.

The two had the cafe to themselves, until another pair of ponies came in. Her mother had some sort of business meeting with this stallion. He would be a rather nondescript brown earth pony except that his mane and tail were styled back in a professional manner, and he wore an odd little collar and tie combination that seemed a bit ridiculous, but actually worked for him anyway. His cutie mark, a trio of moneybags, identified him as Filthy Rich, owner of Barnyard Bargains.

The petite pink filly at his heels must be Diamond Tiara, his daughter. This family had a thing for ridiculous accessories; she wore a little crown-thing on her head. Oh, of course. A tiara. Still, the stallion would soon be Mother's boss, so it would be best to make friends with his daughter. As the adults talked, Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara regarded each other silently for several awkward moments.

“Hmmph. Most of the foals around here should be embarrassed to be seen in public.” Silver Spoon wasn't sure if that was supposed to be an insult or not. It was certainly aggressive though.

“Well, from what I've seen around here they must be, like, immune to embarrassment. I think you're the first pony I've met who knows what a brush is.” Silver Spoon offered a friendly, but cautious smile.

“I know what you mean. They should totally be teaching personal grooming in school, not boring math and stuff.” Aggressive, and her father was rich and locally influential. Not nobility, but close enough to it for this small town. Diamond Tiara would be a patron; Silver Spoon knew how to act in this relationship. She grew comfortable as she listened to Diamond Tiara's gossip, filing away anything that would be useful.


“Chocolate again? Why don't you ever get anything else, like a vanilla ice cream shake?” Silver Spoon's eyes flicked, unnoticed, to Diamond Tiara's barrel, which still showed the slight chubbiness of foalhood. A chubbiness Silver Spoon was already beginning to lose. She intended to be lean, like her mother, after she had her growth spurt. Diamond Tiara would probably have a figure like Pinkie Pie.

“I like vanilla. Chocolate is, like, pretty good too. I dunno.” She shrugged, while Diamond Tiara shook her head and slurped her shake.

“I like vanilla too. And chocolate is sooo yummy. Especially on cherries, or strawberries, or snozberries, or bananas! Rolled in nuts…” Silver Spoon stared blankly at the adult sitting at the table with them. She'd apparently been tuning Pinkie Pie out this whole time and had slipped. She contemplated speaking to her when the unpredictable mare went from seated to full-speed dash toward the door, and crashed into … Rainbow Dash. Silver Spoon could hear the sound of the plump pink pony as she thudded into the shorter, but solid pegasus. “Oh, Dashie, hello! Do you like chocolate covered bananas with nuts?”

The town's celebrity glanced over to Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon for a moment, then back to the energetic pink fluffball attached to her. A brief eye-roll was her only response before she sauntered in as if she totally didn't have the weight of a heavier pony attached awkwardly to her side throwing her balance off, displaying a mastery of “Pinkie denial” that few could achieve. She seriously didn't even stumble, or stagger, or anything. “Hey girls, what's up?”

Silver Spoon was used to dealing with aristocracy and nobility. Ponies with wealth, power, and connections she was comfortable with. Her carefully crafted mask hid her weaknesses and kept her safe from their usual attacks. She was used to drawing compliments from fashionable and well-styled ponies. Yet something about this mare drew heat to her cheeks, disrupting her mask to let reactions show through. Rainbow Dash wasn't part of the game. She made her own rules and dared anypony else to come to her terms. Silver Spoon, like others in the game, hid behind parents, money, looks, clothing, and baubles. The pegasus before her smashed holes in the sky and destroyed mad goddesses. She also apparently enjoyed a chocolate hay smoothie now and then. Silver Spoon quietly slurped at her own.

Diamond Tiara was the more composed of the two for a change, apparently having known Rainbow Dash longer. “Oh, just relaxing, Ms. Dash. Oh, I had a que—”

“Rainbow Dash.”

“H-huh?” Diamond Tiara had apparently been derailed.

“No missus, miss, or mizz. Just call me Rainbow Dash. All those other things make me sound old.”

“Oh. R-right. Rainbow Dash, I had a question.” While Diamond Tiara spoke, Silver Spoon noticed that Pinkie Pie had fallen off of Rainbow Dash at some point and was quietly bouncing nearby, happy to simply be in proximity to her friend. Rainbow Dash sat at the table with the two fillies, and took a chug from her smoothie straight from the glass after a disdainful glance at the straw laying beside it. Pinkie Pie must have brought Rainbow Dash her drink too at some point. Oh well, the bouncing pink motion helped pull Silver Spoon's eyes off of the athlete seated with them before things got awkward.

Rainbow Dash smacked her lips a little, and practically grunted, “Shoot.”

“Your totally ‘awesome’ stories about flight camp, that was during the summer right?” Silver Spoon noted the slightly awkward tone to the word “awesome” Diamond Tiara used. Was she plotting something by playing up to Rainbow Dash's ego?

“Well, duh. That's why they call it Summer Flight Camp.”

“Of course. So it happens when regular school is out, right? Like in a few months? How old do foals have to be usually to attend though?”

Silver Spoon was getting curious now. Normally Diamond Tiara's “plots” were pretty straightforward. Demoralize the opposition, go for the goal. Make herself look good, make the competition look bad. Not knowing what her patron was up to was slightly unsettling, but also … entertaining? Her interest was sparked, that much was certain.

“Hmm … y'know, I'm not really too sure. I guess once your parents think you're ready to learn to fly, they enroll you.” Rainbow Dash adopted a cocky grin. “I was pretty young myself when I graduated. Only took me one year, when normally it's two.” If anypony else bragged like that, Silver Spoon would be almost honor-bound to come up with some barb to deflate that ego. With Rainbow Dash though, it simply worked. Like Diamond Tiara's silly little tiara and Mr. Rich's silly little tie, Rainbow Dash's casual boasts just worked for her.

“Rumble was telling me about his time at flight camp. He seemed to enjoy himself. That's why I was curious, because he didn't really explain things very well.” Rumble? Oh, the pegasus colt that had been pushing Diamond Tiara on the swing today. What did he have to do with anything? He was a nopony. Silver Spoon’s thoughts almost slipped out her mouth and likely would have had she not had something convenient to busy her lips with.

Rainbow Dash's eyes sparked a bit of interest. “Oh, Thunderlane's little brother. I see him hanging out after school at the weather office waiting for Thunderlane sometimes. He's kind of shy, isn't he? I guess I was wrong; he's taking after his older brother if he's talking to pretty little fillies already.” She let out a few guffaws. Silver Spoon felt her cheeks grow just a tad warmer.

“I don't know about all that, Ms—er Rainbow Dash.” Was Diamond Tiara blushing a little? Her pink coat made it hard to tell. “He was pretty excited about it though. I guess it's a really big deal to graduate from flight camp, huh?”

“Well, of course it is! It's like…” Rainbow Dash trailed off, dumbfounded for a moment. “I guess earth ponies really don't have anything like it, huh? Well, it's important. Any pegasus would be excited to graduate and to be able to fly.” Both her front hooves slammed into the tabletop to further emphasize the last word, causing the glassware to bounce a little, though nothing spilled.

Diamond Tiara shrank back a little from the outburst of passion. Even Silver Spoon widened her eyes a bit. “I totally get it, Rainbow Dash. You're right. Totally right. If shy little Rumble would be excited, then an outgoing pegasus like, say, Scootaloo would be… I dunno. She'd be talking about it a lot, and be totally happy, right?”

Rainbow Dash looked confused. Silver Spoon looked confused. Even Pinkie Pie looked confused, though Silver Spoon suspected it was merely a show of solidarity. Diamond Tiara had just broken all three of them for a moment. Silver Spoon remained in shock, staring at Pinkie Pie the Silent. Pinkie Pie stared back at Silver Spoon, apparently defending her honor in an impromptu staring contest. Rainbow Dash recovered first. “But you hate—err, you and…” OK, so recovery was a bit generous a word. “What does Scootaloo have to do with anything?” Rainbow Dash foundered, as the athletic pegasus tended to be a mare of action, rather than contemplation, and clearly still hadn’t begun to follow the sudden change of topic.

“I haven't seen Scootaloo all happy and talkative since we got back to school, and she certainly hasn't been flying.” Diamond Tiara paused to slurp from her shake. “Aside from her, Rumble was the last pegasus in town our age who couldn't fly. I was just wondering if that was weird or not.”

Silver Spoon made the mistake of blinking, as she tried to process … concern? Diamond Tiara sounded … concerned.

Pinkie Pie’s celebrating proved to be distracting. In their defense, their guards were a bit down from the two-pronged uncharacteristic attack of calm and quiet Pinkie Pie and concerned Diamond Tiara. While the dancing pink blur went from tabletop to tabletop, she sang an impromptu “Stare Master Victory” song. Silver Spoon managed to promptly forget any of the lyrics to it that made it into her head, and resumed tuning her out mid-chant.

Rainbow Dash proved to be an excellent distraction from the distraction.

“Look, Diamond Tiara. I know you don't like Scootaloo, and she doesn't like you. I'd rather everyone get along and be friends, but I'm not naive. I know some ponies simply don't get along. Plenty of ponies can't handle my awesomeness, and it's obvious you can't handle hers. It would be totally uncool of me to threaten a little filly, but don't think for a moment I'm afraid of your father. Everyone else might kiss his flank, but believe you me, I will tell Mr. Filthy what his daughter has been up to if I find you've laid one hoof on Scootaloo. She's been leaving you alone lately, so do us all a favor and leave her alone too.”

She thumped her hooves on the table and spread her wings wide like she was about to fly over the table, and bring thunder down.

For that moment Silver Spoon took in every strand of mane, every feather, every taut muscle ready to spring into action. She took in every detail of Rainbow Dash's face, from the narrow eyes to the motions of her jaw and lips as she spoke. Outwardly, she simply stared slack-jawed at the display. There were strange signals going through her body that she'd think about and try to figure out later, but for now she simply wanted to watch this powerful being, strangely unafraid.

Diamond Tiara looked properly cowed. “Y-yes, Rainbow Dash. I promise not to lay a hoof on Scootaloo. I still remember our talk after the Equestria Games. I w-was just curious, that's all. That's OK, isn't it?”

Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes a little more, to just slits, then leaned back and folded her wings. She regarded Diamond Tiara for a moment, then rose from her seat with a powerful downstroke of her wings. A rapid flutter let her drift belly-up across the room and out the door, with all four legs folded comfortably over her barrel. Silver Spoon simply tracked the pegasus until she was out of sight.

“Wasn't that hot?” Silver Spoon turned back to find Pinkie Pie standing on their table, face pressed into hers forehead to forehead. Silver Spoon blinked, innocently uncomprehending. Pinkie Pie gave a strangely hungry grin. “Have you ever tasted a rainbow? Spicy!” the last word was spoken with a high-pitched panicky voice, while Pinkie Pie dashed off with the dishes and disappeared behind the counter and through a door presumably leading to the kitchen.

“Wha…?” Silver Spoon discovered that apparently her brain was still broken. Thoughts of tasting Rainbow Dash danced just outside of the edges her innocence, threatening to shatter it. Thankfully Pinkie Pie had departed from her personal space. There was an odd squeak from the kitchen. More to file away for … not later. Never.

“Come on, Silver Spoon. Lets go back to my place.” Gone was the meekness from Diamond Tiara's posture, and voice. Not even a hint of fear from the dramatic escalation from moments before laced her words.

Silver Spoon's thoughts snapped back into focus.

Diamond Tiara was plotting something. She had just used The Rainbow Dash for whatever she was planning.

Silver Spoon kept to Diamond Tiara's side, slightly behind her, in deference to her patron. She was allowed to see several sides of this filly, and she'd grown accustomed to the stumbling, attention-seeking, snobby wannabe-princess, and had nearly forgotten this side. This was the side she feared. The side that would ruthlessly go for whatever she wanted. This was what she'd left behind in Los Pegasus. She reacted with deference instinctively, and her mask was up and intact. She wore her own grin, ready to support whatever attack was coming.

The game was ahoof.

Author's Note:

One point of confusion I'd like to avoid: Los Pegasus is not a misspelling of Las Pegasus that you might see on some maps of Equestria. It is supposed to be modeled after Los Angeles rather than Las Vegas.

Comments ( 50 )

Well my interest was piqued before, now you have my full attention!

Chapter one experienced some fairly significant overhaul. I don't know what the most appropriate way to signify this is, but if you've already read CH1, it may be a good idea to skim it over a bit.

pretty good

I am looking forward to see where this goes, I can already tell that silver is going to be surprised at the condition of scoots if it ever comes to light, and like scoots in the last chapter I have been punished for something I did not do. I look forward to seeing how scoots will handle what is coming

Did someone say Scootaspoon? :raritystarry:
Hahaha okay, I have to read this.

Snozberries. well put in reference to Charlie and the chocolate factory:pinkiehappy:

3321554
I tried to keep it subtle. :pinkiesmile:

oh Dashie, hello! Do you like chocolate covered bananas with nuts?”

Oh
_________

y-yes, Rainbow Dash.

Y-yes,
_________

Decent chapter. I wonder what dastardly deeds DT is going to use to take another stab at Scoots.

An interesting piece to be sure. A little too much exposition for my liking, but you keep it interesting enough that I don't want to look away.

Good work. I'm looking forward to the next chapter.

Now, let's see how long it takes for a certain pink filly to get beat.

I don't know what to say. I'm blown. Like, that was just was murderous levels of character and world building. And Diamond Tiara totally mind bucked Rainbow Dash. (Also, yeah, that RD moment was pretty hawt!)

I really got too into world with Scoots Mom and Dad. That was some emotional stuff. It almost hurt knowing Scoot could lose her Dad before too long. So frail, and worst yet Scootaloo just seems to have inherited the anemic immune deficiency from her Dad.

It's a bit creepy to think how much of me I read in that Silver Spoon. I was so happy you built her up above and beyond what most tend to do with her. And right now I have to say I am totally enamored by her. Hard to tell how she sees Diamond and how Diamond sees her. But I am loving this story, they each seem to care for the other in their own unique way.

Diamond Tiara, she was rather incredible in this. It's waaaay too early to really know what she'll end up like in the story, but the mystery behind her character. Diamond Tiara, whatever she has in mind, one thing is rather clear: Diamond Tiara will take on ANYpony, even the likes of Rainbow Dash, for whatever paybacks she sets her mind on.

Keep doing what you doing. You got one badflanking story here and I am very happy to have had the chance to read this. Please, keep taking your time, I'm in no rush if it means more quality moments like this!

So many characters. I'll assume the meeting with Cheerilee in next chapter? Or is that resolved? Another question, are they still young? I got confused when fillies were drinking alcohol.

Great story. Yeah, this should of been featured. I'll be waiting with bated breaths to see if Diamond ends up becoming another stepping stone for Silver or somehow defies her outlook on how most her nobles treated her back in Canterlot.

ARGH! Such a great stroy! ><

3488937
Thank you for your comment. This is why I write, and I'm glad I hit my audience.

I have a lot of plans for DT. Hopefully they're enjoyable and unexpected.

Also, what alcohol? Everypony in Sugarcube Corner was enjoying milkshakes.

As for the age of the fillies, I have this set loosely in S3, and intend to portray them as nearly-adult at the oldest. I should probably write out my worldbuilding for their school in a blog post.

Comment posted by ServingSpoon deleted Jun 24th, 2015

3490963
Neither Cheerilee nor Dash are main characters for Hungry. That is why neither are tagged.

Comment posted by ServingSpoon deleted Jun 24th, 2015

So, Rule 14 of Ponydom is clearly in effect.

3491166 3505348 There isn't much to say. Cheerilee is more focused on the assumption that Scootaloo, who is visibly hurt and disheveled (really messed up looking) and has no time for other grievances. DT and SS is likely the last two she wants to deal with right now. It's what? Three Tardies = Detention? Cheerilee, had more pressing matters to attend to after school and that was to write up a proper letter informing Scoot's parents that she's been in a fight supposedly and she'd want to have a parent teacher conference.

Why DT and SS got spared a tardy? Teachers do it all the time. I was spared a few from time to time. This isn't about Cheerilee, her part was fine. A concerned teacher trying to get a short tempered pegasus (in her eyes) from getting into any more fights. Teachers only know what they see. They aren't miracle workers and only do so much. I don't see what is wrong here. Cheerilee isn't a bad teacher, she's just sorting her priorities and for her that is trying to help Scootaloo.

*shrug*

I think maybe you're focusing too hard on a trivial part of the story. Scoots is just being unfairly treated, a lot of this story has to do with the lives of these 3 fillies and where they come from, what makes them do what they do. From explaining why you never see Scoot's family and more of Faust's original vision of a more aggressive Scoots who gets easily riled up, as seen a bit in S1 Scoots is pretty confrontational and outspoken. To even other character building like What type of pony Silver Spoon might be like, where she comes from, why she and Diamond seem so close. And then we have Diamond, why is she gotta be so mean, as a certain pony song likes to say.

If you're more hung up over why DT and SS got spared a tardy, given how Scoots came into class, you might want to reread what happened to Scoots and picture a bit harder what she must of looked and felt like dragging herself to class like that. Tunnel visioning on tardies is more of a Twilight Sparkle thing, STAHP. Cheerilee is not a bad teacher. You just aren't seeing it from her perspective.

TL;DR Would Cheerilee done better by ignoring Scootaloo and giving them all detention and not mentioning anything to her parents? I'd argue, "Not really."

Comment posted by ServingSpoon deleted Jun 24th, 2015

Geez! You make going to school sound so... Complicated! I mean, I know there are social circles and dynamics that "shift" from time to time... But this is insane! It makes me think of the whole, "Oh my god! He totally kissed Becky" (inside joke, just roll with it) type of environment. Now is this a good thing... YES! It gives this story sooo much more depth and eventually creates a separate environment and understanding to the "playground", making this childhood setting seem more grown up and appease the reader's demographic better! (Listen to me try and sound smart!)

Now, with that semi rant over with... this is a little thing that I found really... Off.

While Diamond was a commoner too

She is the daughter of Filthy Rich, Filthy Rich! I just can't see it, I honestly can't see it. I mean...ugh!!!

Other than that, great chapter!

~ Michael

3631666 Her being an orphan isn't cannon...

~ Michael

3631666
...just wait. :P

This review is brought to you by Zero Punctuation Reviews.

This review is dedicated to the late Frank Manner, who was ritualistically sacrificed in my honor by the author, Cryosite. Thank you for sending me his head, sir/madam/goldfish, it was delicious.

I feel my broad feelings on both the bewildering fan phenomenon of "ship-fics" as well as the genre of romance as a whole are pretty well documented by now. I've shouted my virulent opinions loud enough for the entire state of Texas to hear and promptly ignore in favor of shit country music. So you can image, dear reader, the sheer immensity with which I rolled my eyes at the phrase, "Scootaloo and Silver Spoon shipfic" - Silver Spoon being such a memorable and well established character that I had to look her up on the fan wiki to recall just who the fuck she is. Oh, pairing the bully with the bullied, that's a budding romance that will keep me at the edge of my seat. So, with my prejudices and predictions completely in play, you can picture my look of sheer surprise at the discovery that "Hungry" is actually good.

I have my share of grips - grips that will make up the majority of this review - but the primary thing that makes "Hungry" a proud member of my "Not Shit" class of fanfics is the fact that it has actually characters in it with goals and flaws and personalities. What really makes me enjoy the characters is that Cryosite could've really cocked them up and tried way too hard to make us sympathetic, but rather elects shows us the characters in their daily habits and how they respond to the world around them and influence their choices. They're such nice examples of that Desire/Weakness/Response to Weakness model I illustrated last week and achieve autonomy without need for long backstories or lengthy, unrelated POV segments - which exacerbates the fact that every single one of them fucking has one anyway. God, talk about dodging a bullet only to get cut in half by a train later that afternoon.

"Hungry" is in great need an editor and probably a proofreader while we're at it. Much of the description, while rather interesting when held to its own merits, is redundant and unnecessary character building that could just as easily have been achieved by simply viewing the characters in their natural habitats… which the story does already. It strikes me as akin to this really interesting draft of Raymond Carver's "What We Talk About When We Talk About Love" before his editor cut out two thirds of the story at the sacrifice of nothing. To clarify, this story isn't just overwritten, it's the very concept of overwritten come to life and set loose to terrify naughty school children into behaving.

"Hungry" also pulls its blanket over its head and cowers in fear of that perpetual specter "Dream-Whisper-Story-Syndrome". For those of you just joining us or that have the attention span and memory retainment of a dead goose that's been lobotomized, that phrase basically means that the story itself is fine, the flaws lie in the way the story is presented. As mentioned earlier, the story shameless shifts POV from character to character regardless of their relevance and dives head first into their back stories, so pacing and focus are both pretty much fucked right up the ass by an abusive father-in-law and abandoned in a vault on the dark side of Mars with only a crate of finger puppets and some raunchy Asian porn to keep them occupied.

I'd imagine a self-proclaimed "Scootaloo and Silver Spoon shipfic" would retain focus on those two characters, but I'm a dreamer on a medically delusional level. Instead, I was forced to tag along with auxiliary characters that do basically fuck all in terms of the purported subject manner. They're not bad or poorly written characters doing fuck all, mind, it's just that their not what we're here for. When "Hungry" descended from its ethereal platter to make sweet, sweet love to me, it slipped and banged its head on the remote and we ended up watching reality TV instead. Hey "Hungry", I'm not complaining or anything, but wasn't there a relationship you were supposed to be sowing?

I figure the fact that "Hungry" is a shipfic that hasn't shipped its characters nor indeed initiated any significant interaction between them is going to turn a lot off the people that are normally into this sort of thing. I mean, a shipfic without the ship is fine with me - I view it as someone announcing their intention to rape you then presenting you with a box of chocolates and a Starbucks gift card before sending you on your way - but a lot of people want the cheesy romance, and two chapters in there's not a ship in sight on these waters. (Fucking clever!)

Closing thoughts; my four hurdle system first employed back in "TAoMH" town (yes, I am going to mention that in every single shipfic review now, thank you) holds up, and "Hungry" has nailed the "Well-Established" and "Avoids-Cliche" hurdles and, with a little polish and maintenance, it could probably obtain the other two. It needs to be cleaned up. For now, it's a crossed-eyed kid with thick glasses and a heart of gold that's standing in the doorway of excellence but is so unfocused and convoluted that it keeps slamming its little head against the sides. Still, I do not hesitate to whole-heartedly recommend "Hungry" on the grounds that it's a shipfic that I liked - which probably means that people who are normally into this kind of smut will probably begin worshiping it as some kind of messiah made of cake, victory and sex.

Don't sacrifice people to it, though, save that shit for me.

4178189

This review is dedicated to the late Frank Manner, who was ritualistically sacrificed in my honor by the author, Cryosite. Thank you for sending me his head, sir/madam/goldfish, it was delicious.

You've stooped so low as to rip me off now? :fluttercry: :pinkiesad2:

I THOUGHT WE HAD A GOOD THING GOING!!! :raritycry:

4178337
It actually came from the PM conversation I had with Cryosite.
I said:

Dear Cryosite,

Hello! I am twitterdick and I am slated to review your immaculate masterpiece "Hungry". You can expect a review to be posted on Friday, maybe sooner. Who knows. I also accept cash bribes and human sacrifices.

I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into, you sexy, sexy person.

best wishes,

twitterdick

P.S. I like tacos too.

he/she/it said:

Dear twitterdick,

The altar is already slick. While this makes it more difficult to keep them still for the knife, sacrifices will continue non-stop til the review hits.

Looking forward to it,

Cryo

P.S. I had a taco for lunch today.

I don't read your reviews.

4178476

It actually came from the PM conversation I had with Cryosite.

And where did the name come from?

I read yours, by the way. It's always good to learn from other people's mistakes... :trollestia:

4178189
I am highly entertained by this review. Of note, since it is still incomplete, I fully expect to send it through as many editing passes as I can before I'm satisfied with calling it done.

5751369
I really need to hurry up and upload the revised versions of these two chapters, and finish the third.

5791584
3634403
3524409
3604941
3523432
3402921
3373407
3373017
3321554
3304032
3303214
3302907
3286984
3176376
3133233

Forgive the extra notification if you already were pinged by this story being tagged to my blog on the topic, but I rewrote the first two chapters of this story and invite those of you who have read it to read again.

6109369

Thanks, I didn't get the ping. So I'll probably get to it around 3:30, 4ish this after noon at the latest. But I'll definitely read it today ^_^.

I am going to sound like an asshole, but I feel like this needs to be said.

While I find your need to constantly polish and shine these chapters to perfection, it is actually a way to lose followers as well as turn away readers. When you say bluntly that you will be constantly changing the chapters, the comments about the chapters and fic as a whole change and differ, becoming obsolete with each rewrite and change. You also spend alot of time on these two chapters, not putting out others to keep the readers interested and invested. I have learned from hard expirence that not updating in a long period of time gets frustrating for the readers and might turn them away, especially if you are focusing on something else entirely. If you say that you are at least chipping away at the next chapter, it will please them and keep them there, especially if you give them a date or approximation of when you'll have it out. Point being, you have left the second chapter on a bit of a hanger. We know that Diamond and Silver are planning something with "The Game" as Silver constantly refers to it. And we know that the CMC are the center of said Game and that Scootaloo is in some serious personal turmoil, making the readers anxious of what will happen....but we got a rewrite, instead of an answer.

Like I said before, I love the story and I will continue, I also said I would sound like an asshole. Just keep what I said in mind.

6110517
As I have mentioned elsewhere, I write for the long game. I am not terribly interested in the "fimfic game" of entertaining people with the process of the story being produced, featurebaiting, and so on. My goal is to write Hungry (and other ideas I have). My goal is to one day mark this story complete, and have it be the best effort I could put into telling the idea in my head.

Pick your favorite story on the site that is complete. Does it matter to you how much time passed between the writing of the chapters of that story? The comments? No. The story is complete. That "production phase" spent waiting for the next chapter to come out is over with. It's still your favorite story though. It will exist in this "done" state for a much longer time than that production phase did. It will last for years, and the quality of the story will determine if it becomes the favorite of few or many.

That is what I seek.

That said, I have also continued to work on other chapters. Chapter three has, at this point, 7 scenes planned, 4 of which are done (or very close to done) and 2 of the remaining three are fairly well along my development process.

I refuse to work with deadlines, because failing to meet those creates disappointment. They also do nothing to help the quality I am trying to achieve, and instead focus on quantity/speed to attempt to meet them. I'll sacrifice making the production period fast or entertaining if it will make for a better story.

I would rather be poor at the fimfic game, have few to no followers, and little to no attention if that is the price of my goals. I have no interest in being one of the many "famous" writers on the site that pumps out fic after fic, each mediocre and forgettable but featured briefly.

Read. Couldn't find any grammatical errors, although for the first part in the chapter, Silver Spoon's flash backs were a tad cubersome, and threw the story off a bit. But it did tie things together in the end. Still look forward to chapter 3 coming out.

6110621
I'm not saying that time matters. Hell, I haven't updated a one fic in over a year. However, I do occaionally chip away at it, telling my readers that I am. Having people enjoy it is what I want. While finishing it is the long term goal, making sure people enjoy it is the goal. Making someone happy is what really matters. Games and Movies do it all the time. They work on it slowly, telling their veiwers and audiance that it is happening. Occasionally throwing out proof they are working on it. Such as E3 Trailers, Teaser Trailers, and the all mighty Launch trailer that goes out around the time they make it publicly available. I'm not saying you have to play the "FiMfic Game". That is more along the lines of Clop, HiE, and New Episode related content. The personal interaction between letting people know you are working on something and seeing them light up with joy on the fact that their favorite fic is alive is the best part.

My favorite fic is a battle between Past Sins and Composure. Past Sins was a project that, like Hungry, was constantly being worked on and updated with it's chapters. But Pen Stroke Occasionally let people know that it was being worked on, more content would be brought up, and it will be better than the last.

Composure is infamous for its slow heartbeat, but the author still chips away at it, throwing a blog just saying he is alive or putting up some fanart with a small sign of life near the end. My point is just giving people news that thing will come. I'm not saying "Update every week because FiMfic demands it", I'm saying you should take pride in the following you have gained, feed it occasionally, even if it's something as small as "Hey guys, worked a bit on Chapter 3 today, getting some progress done." It doesn't even have to be that frequent. One a month or so, I let people know I am working on my various projects, making some headway on the next chapter before editing. You are free to do what you love, but feed the love that people give you for you work. Like I said, I'm not trying to be an asshole. I'm just a fan of this fic and want assurance that it is being worked on and I will see something in the future.

Comment posted by ServingSpoon deleted Jun 24th, 2015

“No, it means she's full of potential,” echoed again in her mind in Sweetie Belle’s voice. Potential indeed. Apple Bloom had dangerous potential, if anypony were to ask Silver Spoon.

I can't disagree with her. But I love this insight into how Silver Spoon views the rivalry with the CMC. :twilightsmile:

WOW that was awesome! Sad though how Silver views her relationship with Tiara. I wonder if Tiara only thinks of her as an underling. Anyway it's obvious that Silver Spoon knows nothing of real friendship and that is truly sad.:pinkiesad2:

OH and Pinkie Pie putting ideas into an innocent filly's mind like that :pinkiehappy::duck: for SHAAME Pinkie Pie!

Oh yeah and F-M-L what does that even mean anyway?:unsuresweetie:

6130985
You didn't need to delete all your comments. I like having them around to look back on, even if the story was update. :ajsleepy:

As for things like Misty's cutie mark or the chapter titles, I leave that up to the reader's imgination, or the story to tell if and when it becomes important. :twilightsmile:

6131183 oh oops. I saw no need to keep them since the part where Cheerilee excused Diamond and Silver was taken out.

Looking forward to more.:pinkiehappy:

oh and BTW I think you can still find them in responses to my former comments.

3605738 by Canterlot or Los Pegasus standards Filthy Rich and Diamond Tiara are small timers. We only know of ONE grocery store Filthy owns. In Ponyville he is a big shot, second only to the Apples who actually founded the town and own the largest plot of land in the area.

He's a big fish in a small pond, and Diamond is the offspring of that big fish. What is Upper to Upper-middle class in Ponyville may only be middle class in a big city.

Huh... forgot this was a thing.

~ Neon Lights

To me, it kinda sounds like Pinkie has a crush on Dash. Anyone else?
No? Okay...
Also, what does 'FML' mean? The first thing that came to mind was (I don't know why) 'Fuck My Life', and, to me, it fits in pretty well.

Moar?

~ Chapter: 13

hey...are um, is this fic canceled.

8659930
No, I'm just really slow.

5 years 1 month and 10 days since the last chapter was released.

I have this added to my watch list

8660010
You mean unwilling to finish it?

Login or register to comment