• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 50,310 Views, 679 Comments

Softening the Stone - TheMyth



After a thousand years of banishment, Luna has finally returned to Equestria. However, not everything is quite as Celestia had hoped for.

  • ...
29
 679
 50,310

The Coming Eclipse

There is a particular cafe in Canterlot that is extremely popular with the noble class. It sits just outside of the main castle’s wall, overlooking the vast plains of Equestria. One can sit there for hours on end, soaking in the magnificent atmosphere while enjoying some of the most soothing tea available. Normally, it is a sanctuary of peace.

However, Prince Blueblood, royal heir to the Northwest Territories, was anything but peaceful as he entered the small cafe. It was surprisingly almost completely empty for this time of day; everypony else having gone off to discuss the strange turn of events that had happened. Still, that was a good thing. He was not eager to have to deal with the common folk at a time like this.

Ignoring the waiter at the entrance, Blueblood charged right into the heart of the area, making a beeline for the only table that was currently occupied. Within its seat sat a pale grey unicorn stallion, his head buried deep within a menu. Grabbing the chair across from him, Blueblood sat himself down, exhaling a huff of anger as he did so.

The other unicorn barely seemed to acknowledge his presence. “I think I’ll order the soup today,” he hummed to himself. “I’ve been meaning to try their dandelion and saffron mix.”

His menu glowed with a bright yellow light for a second, before being torn from his grasp and flung over the balcony’s edge.

“How can you possibly think about food at a time like this, Proud Lining?” Blueblood snarled. “The entire country is falling apart and you’re worried about lunch?”

Proud Lining sat unmoved by Blueblood’s action, as if he was still holding the menu in his hooves. With a sigh, he gently folded them across his chest and looked at the irate Blueblood. “I’m hungry,” he answered simply. “And besides, this isn’t the end of the world as we know it.”

“Oh isn’t it?” Blueblood retorted. “First off, Aunt Celestia decides to go to some little backwater town to hold the Summer Sun Celebration this year. Then, when the day finally arrives, not only does the sun fail to rise until late in the afternoon, but apparently the town claims that Nightmare Moon, a creature from old pony tales, showed up to wreck the celebration.”

“Yes, I am aware of all of that,” Proud Lining responded, gently lifting his teacup up and taking a sip. “But as you are aware, the sun did indeed rise and all is well once again. I still fail to see what your concern is all about.”

The veins in Blueblood’s forehead were popping out so far, they looked as though they could burst at any moment. “Really?” he asked sarcastically. “You don’t see how after all of this, Celestia decides to take an extended vacation as a problem?”

Proud Lining shrugged. “She’s always been allowed to take a couple weeks of vacation. Why should it be a problem now?”

“I’ll tell you why.” Blueblood’s brow furrowed as he looked over to the balcony. “She is always scheming something, especially during her so called ‘vacations.'”

“Are you still holding a grudge for that prank she pulled on you?” Proud chuckled heartily, remembering Blueblood’s birthday where Celestia pranked the cake to explode. “She did apologize by giving you a new and larger cake.”

Blueblood slammed in hoof on the table. “It’s not the prank that mattered, it’s the principle!” the stallion snorted. “She had the audacity to pull such a prank on those who she calls family?” A laugh devoid of mirth escaped his lips. “If she could do that to a nephew of hers, I would hate to be a brother or son to her. In fact, I’d pack up and bid her adieu.”

“Surely you jest,” Proud chimed in, shaking his head in disapproval. “Why without, your connection with Celestia, you would not survive a day out there in the harsh world with all those ruffians and barbarians about.” Proud sipped his tea, sighing as the taste roamed his mouth. “From what I hear, Ponyville is filled with those barbarians!”

“That I agree with.” Blueblood calmed down, if only a little. “Why my aunt decided to fund that cesspool of pony society is beyond me.” He shrugged as he chuckled. “Charity, I suppose. Gain more favour from the lower ponies.”

Proud Lining shook his head as he closed his eyes. “Charity is the best solution to appease a crowd, everypony can be bought in life,” he took another sip of his tea. “It all depends on the amount of bits we are willing to bargain their lives for…”

“Well obviously, my aunt did not receive any bits from that deal. Only some vermin food and barbaric clothing.”

“I couldn’t agree more!”

Blueblood smiled. He might be a pain in the neck sometimes, but at least he could always count on Proud Lining to have proper taste as well.

“Still,” Blueblood said hesitantly. The fury in his voice was gone though it still lingered a bit in his eyes. “You can’t blame me for being worried about everything that’s happened. There’s something fishy about all this and I don’t quite like it.”

Proud Lining chuckled. “Well, I suppose you do have a point there,” he said refilling his teacup. “It is a little bit odd for Celestia to decide she’s leaving so suddenly and not telling anypony where she’s going.”

“Yes,” Blueblood exclaimed. “And not only that, but she’s even asked the royal court to take over in raising the sun and moon for her each day. She’s never done anything like that before.”

Levitating the teacup up, Proud Lining stared at its dark contents as he gently swirled it around. “Yes, it does seem rather peculiar now that you mention it. Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.”

“I know that there is,” Blueblood said sitting back triumphantly. He gazed out over the horizon with a smirk. “And once I figure out what it is, you’d better believe that I’ll do everything I can to stop it.”


“Are ya sure about this Princess?”

Applejack along with Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie were all seated at a table with Twilight, Spike and Celestia at the opposite end. After Celestia explained her plan to the other mares, she was met by uncertain looks from the others.

“I am sure Applejack, I need to do this…” Celestia replied calmly to the orange earth pony, taking in a deep breath before letting it out slowly and taking a sip of the tea Spike provided for the group. “Tis’ a wonderful brew of tea, Spike.” she complimented the young dragon.

Spike rubbed the back of his head and chuckled lightly. “ It’s not that great…”

Twilight however, was sweating bullets at this point. Her hind hoof was tapping on the ground endlessly as she looked at her mentor. A nervous smile was plastered on her face, shortly followed by a soft laugh escaping her mouth. “Princess, you sure you’re ok like that? I could perhaps give you an extra pillow! Or even some biscuits to go with that—”

“Please, Twilight…” Celestia raised her hoof to silence the lavender unicorn. The alicorn’s brow furrowed in thought as she looked on to her student’s scared form. Why is she so nervous?

One pony did however find Twilight’s behaviour humourous. Rainbow Dash snickered, leaning into Pinkie Pie’s ear. “Now that’s funny how she panics!” she whispered into the pink wonder’s ear.

Pinkie turned to her friend, shaking her head with her eyes closed. “No Rainbow Dash, there’s a big difference between funny funny and scaredy funny…”

“Well, yeah…” Rainbow Dash said with a roll of her eyes. “But it’s still just a little bit funny isn’t it?”

The look from Pinkie Pie was enough to tell her that no, it wasn’t even a little bit funny. Grumpily, she turned back and slouched over to fiddle with her own teacup. Ever since yesterday nobody had been quite the same. Pinkie Pie was the most obvious of the group, since her usually carefree attitude seemed to have deflated. Applejack and Rarity both were acting rather nervous, though not nearly as much as Twilight was. And Fluttershy was…

She paused for a moment, before suddenly looking up. “Hey, where is Fluttershy?”

Applejack shrugged. “Ah stopped by her place on my way over here. Told her we were all meetin’ up and all that. She told me that she couldn’t make it though. Somethin’ ta do with all them critters she keeps in her cottage.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. She and Fluttershy had been friends for the longest time, ever since they met at Flight Camp. She knew that Fluttershy had probably got roped into something, likely by that demonic spawn she called a pet rabbit. Even so, this didn’t seem to sit too well with Rainbow either.

“Are you sure that you’re comfortable?” Twilight began again, interrupting Rainbow’s train of thought. “Because really I could get you something, anything that you might want.”

Celestia turned to her student and smiled. “Really, Twilight, I’m fine.” Turning back towards the middle of the table, she reached out for the tea kettle, grabbing it with her magic. “Though I could use some more of this tea.”

Twilight gasped. “Let me get that for you!” she cried. Leaping for the tea kettle, she nearly knocked all the other cups and dishes to the floor attempting to grab it from her mentor’s grasp.

Thankfully, a bright yellow light surrounded her, and the table as well, catching everything before any damage could be done. Gently setting the unicorn back into her own seat with a smile, Celestia lifted the kettle over and poured herself a cup. “Honestly Twilight,” she said softly, “I’m more than capable of pouring my own cup of tea.”

“But—”

“No buts,” the princess insisted. “I told the nobles that I was going on a vacation without my servants and I intend to do just that. That means that while I am staying with you, I do not want you waiting on me wing and hoof.”

“But I—”

“Twilight,” Celestia said firmly, her gaze trained on the purple unicorn.

With a sigh, Twilight nodded as she looked away. “Yes, Princess…” she muttered.

Applejack snickered at the pair, but quickly hid it as she turned towards Celestia. “Beggin’ yer pardon, uh, yer majesty,” she said sheepishly, “but are ya sure that this is a good idea? Ah mean doesn’t Equestria need ya to rule and all that?”

Celestia took a sip of her tea as she sighed. “As I explained to you before Applejack, this is something that I have to do. The government will be able to take care of itself for a while.”

“Well, yeah, I suppose so,” Applejack mulled, “but what if something happens and you’re not there? Couldn’t Equestria be in danger?”

Surprisingly to the ponies in the room, Celestia smiled fondly at Applejack’s question. “No need to worry about that. I have a plan just for that.”

Before either pony could speak, a knock came from the library’s door. Twilight got up from the table and made her way gingerly to answer it, albeit quickly. When she opened it, her jaw hung open when she saw who it was.

“Twilight!”

Twilight’s jaw closed and she beamed to the new pony before her. “Cadance!” she shouted out in joy, letting Cadance in. She was another alicorn, missing an ethereal mane and shorter than Celestia. Her coat was pink with lavish tri colored mane, with a tiara sitting on top of it. When she was in the library and the door was closed, both she and Twilight started an odd performance.

“Sunshine! Sunshine! Ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!” When both ponies were done shaking their plots to each other, they laughed and hugged each other.

“I missed you so much!” Twilight said as she continued to hold onto the elder pony that was her foalsitter.

Cadance nuzzled Twilight’s head with a soft smile of her own. “I missed you too Twilight, so much…”

The ponies and dragon in the background, save Celestia, all had their hooves to their mouths not trying to laugh their flanks off at the scene before them. Before any of them did, Twilight and Cadance turned to them.

"Everypony, this is Cadance… my former foalsitter.”

Turning back towards Cadance, she extended a hoof to the others. “And Cadance, these are my new friends,” she said proudly.

Cadance walked forward towards the group, respectably bowing in front of them. “It’s a pleasure to meet you all,” she said kindly.

The others returned the gesture, bowing in kind. All except for Spike however. He instead ran up to the alicorn, jumping up and tossing his small arms around her neck. “Auntie Cadie!”

Cadance grabbed him before he could fall, holding him up and returning the hug. “My little Spikey,” she said gently. “My word you’ve grown since the last time I saw you. Still keeping Twilight out of trouble?”

He laughed as he fell back to the ground. “I try my best, but you know how Twilight can be sometimes.”

“Yes, she can be quite the hoofful, can’t she?” she replied turning back towards the now blushing unicorn and winking.

Twilight coughed, quickly moving to change the subject before the two started telling the really embarrassing stories. “It is wonderful to see you Cadance, but what are you doing here? I thought that you were in Trottingham for the time.”

“Well, I was,” Cadance began. “At least, until I got Auntie Tia’s summons to come to the Ponyville Library at once. Something about taking over the rule of Equestria in her stead?”

The entire group of ponies turned and looked at the regal princess, still standing in the doorway to the kitchen with a smile. “I told you that I’d taken care of everything.”

Twilight cocked her brow at her mentor, confused and concerned. “But Princess… who’s going to raise the sun and moon?”

“My dear Twilight, surely you remember your history classes,” Celestia chuckled at Twilight’s face. “Unicorns raised and lowered both the sun and moon before Luna and I came into power…” she trailed off when she mentioned her sister’s name, her smile dissipating slowly.

Cadance’s ears perked and her brow raised slightly. “Where is Auntie Luna?” she asked curiously, turning her head in all corners. She was amazed to find out she had another aunt in her life, though she was partially disappointed from hearing about it via a letter.

“Upstairs in the guest bedroom,” Spike pointed upwards with his index talon. “Want me to show you?”

“Oh yes please!” Cadance focused her magic and lifted the dragon onto her back. “If you will excuse me.” she bowed to her company and walked on upstairs with a happy dragon as her guide.

Applejack just smiled at what just happened. “So she was yer foalsitter Twi’?” she asked curiously, looking back to her friend.

“Yes, before I started as the Princess’ student.”

“Hang on…” Rainbow Dash cut in. “How old is Spike? Isn’t he as old as you Twilight?”

Twilight laughed at Rainbow’s question, receiving an irritated look from the cyan pegasus. “I hatched Spike when I did my entrance exam Rainbow… wow, now that’s a story to tell…” she smiled at the fond memory of her entrance exam to Canterlot’s School for Gifted Unicorns over a decade ago. The day she became Celestia’s prized student, receiving her cutie mark and bringing Spike into the world.

“Oh! Oh! So you're Spike’s mommy!”

The silence in the room was so intense, a pin could be heard falling to the floor. “What?” Pinkie asked, confused at what was happening.

“Anyways…” Rainbow said hesitantly. “It’s starting to get late and I can’t miss another day of weather duty. I think it’s about time I flew the coop.”

Rarity replied with a yawn. “Why, yes. I do think that I must agree with Rainbow Dash. It has been a rather eventful couple of days, and I’m sure that you have plenty you two still need to talk about without us here,” she said turning towards Twilight and Celestia.

Twilight nodded in agreement. “Well, thank you all for coming. I know that it’s been only been a couple of days since we’ve met, but I really can’t thank you enough for all that you’ve done.”

“Well shoot,” Applejack responded, laying a comforting hoof on Twilight’s shoulder with a wink. “We’re more than happy to help out a friend in need.”

The group made their way to the door, which Twilight opened and held for the others. Led by Pinkie Pie, the group made their way out into the evening air, each turning and heading their separate ways. Just as Twilight was about to again close the door, Applejack paused and turned around. “Now listen Twi, Ah know that things might seem a bit hard right now, but Ah want ya to know, if ya ever need anything at all, just holler and we’ll all come running to help again, alright?”

Twilight smiled. “Thanks Applejack. I’ll keep that in mind.”

Satisfied, Applejack turned once again and started heading for home. Twilight didn’t shut the door immediately, instead watching as her new friend trotted off. It felt good, being able to say that she actually had friends to call her own. In a way, Twilight was kind of glad about what had happened. Had it not, she likely would have been on her way back to Canterlot to continue her studies. But since Celestia wanted to stay somewhere quiet to help her sister, she was more than happy to stay behind in Ponyville with her.

When Twilight finally closed the door, her smile disappeared and she trotted towards the princess who was busy sipping on her tea in thought. “Princess, where is the town’s librarian?” she asked, remembering she never met Ponyville’s librarian at all.

Celestia smiled softly before answering. “I asked the librarian, Ms Cherry Mint, if I could stay here until Luna’s healed,”

“But that could take months for her to heal,” Twilight cut her mentor off.

Celestia nodded. “True, hence why I gave her a paid vacation until further notice, something I think an elderly mare needs in her twilight years…” Celestia trailed off before yawning loudly, covering her mouth with her hoof.

“Princess, aren’t you tired?” she asked, seeing the fatigue in Celestia’s eyes.

Celestia just shook her. “I’m alright Twilight,” she answered dismissively to her student. “I just have a lot on my mind is all.”

Twilight scrunched her lips. “Princess, about your sister… I think—”

“AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHH!!!”

Celestia head jerked backwards, with her pupils shrinking as the magic that held the tea cup dissipated. The cup smashed into tiny pieces onto the saucer, but Celestia did not care. She jumped onto her hooves and looked up to where the source of the scream was coming from.

Twilight was also in a state of shock. Before she could ask Celestia what it was, the princess was already gone from her spot. She looked to where the princess ran off, and spotted her charging the stairs with all her haste yelling out her sister’s name.

"Luna!”