• Published 6th Sep 2013
  • 833 Views, 1 Comments

How to Prevent the Apocalypse -- A Journalist's Tale - Door Matt



Strange omens are ahoof in Hayward-on-Sea. Are the End Times really approaching this quiet seaside town? Or is this just another Tuesday for investigative journalist Breaker Fold?

  • ...
 1
 833

Chapter 1 - Bottling It

The Nag's Head wasn't -- and never had been -- the most aesthetically pleasing structure in Hayward-on-Sea. It stood awkwardly on the corner between two streets, jutting out like an enlarged nose with its dark brickwork and imperial stacture. But, as some regulars and the owner would endlessly tell you, it could lay claim to being perhaps one of the oldest buildings in town, as well as offering fantastic views of the beach. Some historians even claimed that there was evidence for a pub standing on that spot for over a thousand years, pre-dating Luna's exile. Naturally, were one to ask for the evidence of such a case, said historians were apt to change the subject or complain about "missing paperwork".

Residents in Hayward had a common saying that was quoted almost daily -- "There's nothing worse than parasprites. Except seagulls." At least parasprites had the arguable defence of being cute, in their own freakish way. No pony ever, ever, said the same of seagulls. In fact, in the history of the entire universe, only one pony would ever claim to love a seagull. While she did live in the same time as Breaker Fold, she did not feature in the majority of the following events, although some later argued she did play a crucial role in the final stages.

Breaker Fold narrowly avoided being shat on as he stood opposite the pub, remembering his earlier conversation back at Misty's house. He glanced briefly at the offending white splat only a few feet away before looking up at the guilty party -- already flying his escape towards the surf. The beach here was long, almost ten miles of unbroken sand and stones, of which Hayward only bordered a part of. While towns like Canterlot and Manehatten had gradually grown and morphed over generations into full-blown cities, Hayward had always resisted expansion. Even now, it was only slightly larger than Ponyville, barely two miles from end to end and not quite a mile wide. What it did offer was remoteness (Las Pegasus lay a day's travel to the south, as the dragon flies. Not that dragons ever did make such grandiose trips to the coastal city of the pegasi. If they did, we would likely be discussing a pile of ash and burnt clouds instead of a city), great food and a chance for visiting ponies to enjoy time away from the hustle and bustle of usual life. Indeed, Hayward almost relied on tourism as one of its few reliable sources of income. That, and selling seashells to superstitious quacks in the capital.

Gripping the bag of fruit and other assorted food items in his mouth, Breaker took one last look at The Nag's Head and sauntered onto the path running parallel to the sea. Misty probably wouldn't mind him taking the scenic route back, and it was a fine day to enjoy the weather. Hayward's pegasi weather team had evidently decided on light cloud cover, allowing for mostly uninterrupted sunshine. That said, autumn was in full swing and the constant crisp breeze kept the temperature down well below the highs of summer. A few ponies were down by the shoreline but it was nothing compared to the packed crowds that always flocked to the beach in summertime every year. Another one of Hayward's many constants.

Coincidentally, if Breaker had chosen to enter the pub, it would've been around the exact moment a confused unicorn would be waking up with a large migraine in its wine cellar.

Breaker glanced up every now and again to gaze at the horizon. Young pegasi often used the strong hot air currents that rose from the water to pull off slick tricks and maneuvers; a favoured dare involved pulling out of a dive as late as possible to avoid smashing into the surf. Nopony had ever called him the jealous type, but Breaker often envied the abilities of the "non earths". His passion for journalism he could remember having long before other memories, but for an earth pony, it had been somewhat of an uphill struggle to fulfill it. Well over ninety percent of journalists in Equestria were unicorns, as precise quill writing became an effortless task under the application of magic. Pegasi too were useful in the trade - often relaying important messages and the latest news across vast distances. The few earth ponies in journalism were either relegated to running the printing presses or placed in tedious management positions. Certainly nothing that had enticed Breaker. Fortunately for him, his dedication to mastering the difficult art of writing by mouth and years of practice had eventually paid off, resulting in a dream career position of “Investigative Journalist for the Hayward Gazette”.

At least that was the wording on his office desk. He preferred telling anyone who asked simply: Breaker Fold, Reporter. As skillful using his mouth to write as he was using it to....do....something that is....far too inappropriate for this story's age rating.

At any rate, it was the job he was born to do. And he knew it.

As if somehow sensing the contents of his shopping, at least half a dozen gulls glided ominously overhead. Not wanting to have to take another shower that day, Breaker quickened his pace, keeping one eye on the sky. Approaching the turning he'd need to take to head back inland, he caught sight of a familiar figure hunched over on the sand.

Reed.

One of Misty's many, many cousins. She often joked about how her family's rampant ways would eventually result in the whole town being related to her. Breaker's parents hadn't seen the funny side...in what ended up being only his third most awkward family dinner meetup. The second had involved a lethal error with the stew, and the events of the first was headline news the next day.

Naturally, as a reporter, Breaker's curiosity trait was high (when questioned why they had put so many skill points into Curiosity, his parents had replied that "it seemed like a good idea at the time"). He wandered over the sand to satisfy his officiousness.

"Hey Reed."

"Oh hey Fold," the young, pale-green foal replied, looking over.

"Ooo oray ou ere ry yourrelf?"

"Uhhh....what?"

"Oh."

Breaker carefully lowered the bags.

"My bad. You okay out here by yourself?"

"Yahh. Come look at this!"

With unreserved glee, Reed skipped aside, revealing the object his body had hidden from Breaker's view.

"Huh...where did you get this?"

"I was looking for crabs and I found it sorta buried down by the waves."

"Well...lucky you!"

Breaker had never seen a message in a bottle before in real life. Naturally, they were a common legend throughout the coastal settlements but rarely were they actually found. Especially in a place like Hayward, where the most exciting thing to happen in the last hundred years was a brief visit by Princess Celestia - who promptly left, coincidentally just after trying fish and chips down at Dodgy Dave's restaurant.

Lowering his neck, Breaker peered at the rolled up paper nestled tightly inside the glass. It looked remarkably...unremarkable. Just a bland sheet of paper. Hopefully it wasn't completely blank and the writing was on the inside.

"I tried to get it open but...the cork's too tight."

"Did you try magic?"

Reed frowned, triggering a memory of Breaker’s. Word of mouth had it the kid was struggling with his magic. The vast majority of unicorns his age already had a semi-decent idea of where their magical talents lay. But, for some reason, Reed was lagging behind. Even basic levitation seemed beyond him. If the other kids in the local school gave him grief about it, he hid it well.

"No but-"

"Nevermind," Breaker replied, thinking quickly. "Pass it here."

Reed nudged it over.

"Alright. This'll be a cinch. What do you think'll be inside?"

"Oooh, I dunno! That's the best part! It could be a message for help, or...a map! For treasure!

Or somepony on the other side of the ocean trying to say hi!"

Breaker inwardly chuckled. It was admittedly cute seeing the kid light up like that. Now it really would suck if the page was blank. Right now he himself couldn't begin to guess what would be written - this was all very much an unexpected turn of events. Whatever it was, he figured it probably wouldn't be newsworthy enough to take up much space in the Hayward Times, if at all.

He clamped his hooves on either side of the glass and gripped the cork with his teeth. Immediately, he knew it would take at least three breath mints to clear the salty taste from his mouth.

Here we go.

He pulled.

...

Ah.

He pulled again.

...

"Uh...Breaker?"

Shut up. I can do this.

He pulled a third time.

...

...

...

"Well...crap."

"It's not budging for you either huh?"

"Affirmative little man."

Nice one Breaker. Made yourself look like a pansy in front of the kid.

"Hey, why don't you take this home with you and get some soap on there. That might dislodge it," Breaker said, running his tongue against his front teeth trying to dislodge some left-behind grit.

"I guess..."

"Alright then, I'll see you around yeah?"

Breaker picked up the bags again and made to trot across the sand. He accomplished four steps before hearing a familiar sound.

Magic.

Of all the ponies who had attempted to describe the noise unicorn magic made, only one had not gone completely insane in the process. The closest she had to gotten to a description was on record as: "that whirly sparkly tone".

Breaker swivelled round, intrigued to see Reed's green aura surrounding both his horn and the bottle cork.

"Ey Ree, I ron't rink-"

His jaw dropped - along with the bags - as the cork suddenly popped out as if only the slightest force had touched it. Immediately, Reed's magic dissipated.

"Sweet Celestia, good going kiddo! I didn't know your magic was that developed!" Breaker exclaimed, walking towards the bottle.

"Urmm....I didn't either?" Reed replied, pupils wide in shock. "I barely even tried..."

"Doesn't matter now, eh? Go ahead and read it."

Tipping the bottle at an angle and a couple of brief taps was all it took to release the paper. Breaker looked on as Reed's face contorted first into a wide smile as he unraveled the parchment, then dropped into disappointment, before finally wrenching into a picture of bafflement.

"I don't....I don't get it Breaker. This is....you read it?" he said, looking up into his eyes.

"Sure thing," Fold replied, craning his neck over.

No maps. No call for help. No simple hello. Just seven short lines, written in an elegant style.

This is the herald. Four signs come.

One who resolveth the conflict of centuries.

One who taketh from those with nothing.

One who cureth the incurable.

One who cheats death.

The four will answer the call.

And the apocalypse will begin.

"What the bloody hell is this?"


Misty heaved herself out of bed and pretended not to notice the time. Since Breaker had been gone for well over an hour, that could only mean one thing:

The Nag's Head.

Crap. Trust me to plant the thought in his head.

She went over to the window, undecided on whether to go and haul his arse back. Though her place was a good distance from the ocean, the stench of salty waters easily reached her nose. On a rare, quiet, windless day, she could hear the gentle crashing of waves with ease. No such luck today though -- like most days the cool breeze ruffled the surface of her ginger fur and whined through her eardrums. A noise shortly joined by an ever-increasing patter of hooves on stone, and then-

"Misty!"

Breaker Fold exploded into view just down the road, emerging from the street that led directly to the beach. His red tie lurched dangerously as he made a sharp turn, barreling towards the house.

"Misty!"

What the tartarus?

Misty hurriedly abandoned the window and rushed downstairs to let him in. She opened the door seconds before he could bang on it.

"Everything okay?" she asked, worried at the almost crazed look in his eyes. His silver fur heaved up and down as he tried to catch his breathe.

"I'm...gah...sorry...Reed...he found...message...you have to-"

"Woah woah," she interrupted, trying to calm him down via a direct stare. "Say it again....slowly."

"There's something you have to see."

Author's Note:

Okay...first chapter proper. Probably a couple errors in there somewhere but nothing that can't be fixed later.
Hope you stick around for the ride!