• Published 25th Feb 2012
  • 2,180 Views, 49 Comments

Tale of Two Colts - The Brony Duo



When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you ponies, make friends.

  • ...
7
 49
 2,180

Chapter 5: Oliver

I saw Kevin and Applejack approach me from the gym entrance, so I shot them a smile while also keeping tabs on my conversation with Dash.

“Hey, Oliver, how’s it going?” Kevin asked me.

“Hey, guys. It’s all good. How was science class?” I asked the two teens.

AppleJack groaned and shot me a look, one that plainly read, I didn’t know jack shit.

I laughed and placed my arm around AppleJack. I almost immediately regretted my decision, however, upon the realization that, despite knowing all about her character, I had only known her for about an hour. I awkwardly lifted my arm and then chuckled, “Don’t worry about it; I suck at science, too. Just nod your head and stay quiet.”

This time, AppleJack laughed, although it was a laugh just used to diffuse the awkward situation. Dash, in another matter, was getting rather impatient that we weren’t running yet. “Argh!” she yelled out in frustration. “When do we start?”

I shrugged and began to stretch, “Probably soon. You might want to stretch a little bit to warm up,” I suggested.

“Stretching is for losers! Come on, push-up competition,” Dash insisted. The girl had boundless energy kindled up inside of her, like a flame that refused to be put out. But knowing her impatience, she was most likely going to overexert herself in the competition.

Continuing on the topic of competition, I played around with that topic in my head. While I would get tired during the jogging, running, lifting weights, and everything, it would be fun to wipe Dash away. Sides, she was only fast. There was no way she could beat me.

I shrugged, “Alright. Just don’t complain when you lose.” I had to admit, Dash and I were close in one area: cockiness. When it comes down to physical challenge, I loved pushing myself to the limit and being the best.

We both laid down on the ground and went to a push-up position. Kevin began a count-down. “Ready, set, go!”

We were off in an instance, and Dash was cocky enough to shoot for speed rather than endurance. The young speedster began to excel above me, and she was arrogant about it. She reached forty, looked around, and then stopped seeing how I was only at twenty. It was very obvious, seeing the surprised look on her face, that she could have done way more pushups. I briefly wondered what was going through her head. Was she thinking that humans were weaker than ponies? I didn’t want to set that standard for our race, because if I was unfortunate enough, the ponies would most likely charge themselves at humans. And while they did have magic, humans have guns. Wait, why was I thinking about this? Human-pony war? That’s utter nonsense. I shook my thoughts away and glanced up at Dash, who was hovering over me like a hawk hovers over its prey.

“Ha! I win, Oliver!” she smirked.

I shook my head, already knowing my plan worked. “Dash, I am in no way tired. Just because I’m going slowly, doesn’t mean that I won’t beat you. Besides, all I have to beat now is forty, and you can’t restart.”

Dash’s face twisted into one of shock. She was seeing the flawed part of her plan to go fast. Kevin chuckled silently with AppleJack, apparently laughing over Dash’s face from what I could hear.

As I reached thirty-five, I felt the usual strain on my muscles. It was agonizing, like someone was slowly tearing away all my muscles until I was just a depleted bag of fat.

In a matter of minutes, I reached sixty and began to sweat. I pulled myself to a stop and turned to face Dash. “There,” I said happily, “sixty push-ups.” I quickly blushed, however, and looked away from the girls. I hated to be seen as weak, so I ran my shirt across my face to dab away the sweat. It was only slight, but I still felt like an idiot while the warm drips slid down my face.

Dash rolled her eyes with a smirk on her face. “Yeah, yeah, tiger, I get it. I’ll beat you next time.”

I faked a gasp of surprise, “You mean to tell me that you’ll be able to beat me and my stunning abs?”

The teen look my challenge and looked at me, “Any time, any place. Sides, there’s no way you have anything other than a two-pack.”

I pushed out my chest in pride. “I have very nice abs, Dash. Why don’t you give ‘em a feel?”

She rolled her eyes and readied her fist. Before I could tell her I mean actually touching them, she swung her fist into my stomach. I moved back an inch but kept a wicked grin on my face the entire time. Dash’s eyes glazed over, and I could see the visible shock on her face. But perhaps it was anger. She was no longer stronger than me. No, I’m overthinking things again. I had to stop letting my mind wander. It would only get me into situations that would become out of control.

“Dash?” I said, unsure of she was okay or not.

The girl shook her head slowly. “Yeah, nice,” she mumbled before walking to the changing room to change.

I stood there for a couple seconds with my hands in my pockets. “Girls are weird.” I said. Shaking my head, I jogged into the locker room, changed, and jogged out.

While I was doing my stretches, Kevin walked over to me and addressed me about my earlier situation with Dash, “I told you not to make a sex joke too soon, Oliver,” he joked.

Despite the fact that I didn’t even make a sex joke, I laughed with him. “Couldn’t help it! Anyways, how are things with Twilight?” I asked. I knew he intended to try and get together with him. But she was going to be a tough grab, so I needed to cheer him on as much as I could.

My ebony-haired friend smiled at me. “Excellent! She’s really smart, I’ll have you know.”

“Well she’s the princess’s best student,” I said knowingly. “She absorbs information fast, too.”

“That she does. I wonder how long it will take her to find out all about physics and biochemistry…” Kevin trailed off upon realizing that I had become distracted. Dash and AppleJack walked out wearing very slim shorts. It took all my willpower to not gape at them openly. Kevin, too, was turned toward them, but he was far more appropriate than I was. It was at this point when I realized how slim and tan AppleJack’s legs were. And smooth, too…

I jogged over to AppleJack and Dash with a cocky smirk plastered on my face. “Hiya,” I said. Unfortunately, I managed to create a very awkward situation which involved us all standing around saying nothing. I had to be more subtle and calm when joining into their conversation. I wanted to become friends with them, but I didn’t want to scare them away like I scared away all the other girls I’ve had interests in.

Huh, depressing thoughts.

“What’s this teacher guy like anyways?” Dash asked in order to break the awkward silence that I managed to create.
I shrugged, “He’s a little odd, I guess. But all in all, he’s just a regular guy.”

The two girls nodded, and we all mindlessly chattered for a couple minutes. Kevin walked over and joined in with the conversation, too. We briefly discussed over science, something that AppleJack and I hated, and something Dash was surprisingly well educated in, before moving onto the conversation, which was something that AppleJack and I loved while Kevin and Dash did not. Soon, the teacher came out and we began our runs. It was a simple easy task, seeing as how it was a Friday, and we got off pretty easy. By the end, I was pumped up and ready, but class had ended and it was time for the final class of the day.

I glanced over to AppleJack, “Do we share the last class?” I asked hopefully.

She glanced at my schedule card, which was something I kept secure on my folder, and nodded. “Well that’s mighty lucky! It seems we do.”

Dash groaned, “I just want to go home already!”

Kevin sighed as well. “Only one more class to go!” he mentioned optimistically.