• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 9,925 Views, 412 Comments

What if God Were One of Us? - Foals Errand



Princess Celestia knew how her kingdom worked. The Unicorns used magic. Pegasi flew in the sky and handled the weather. And Earth ponies... Earth ponies... Huh, maybe Celestia didn't know everything about her ponies. That was about to change.

  • ...
37
 412
 9,925

Sunshine's Night Time Visitor

Sunshine Meadow felt a chill wash over her body as she was falling asleep. Her ears perked and twitched. It was the result of a highly tuned sense, which she had developed over many, many years to tell her when somepony—or somebody—was watching her. She’d never reveal how often this sense had saved her… She opened her eyes and sat up as her now gravity obeying mane fell into her eyes. She blinked in the dark room. Trying to light up the horn that she no longer had as her eyes darted around, trying to find what had been watching her.

“Hello, Sister.”

Sunshine allowed herself to slump in relief. "Luna." She pushed her messy bangs from her eyes with her hoof and smiled. "Could you come a bit closer to my bed? I’ll be able to see you much easier.”

“Of course.” Luna stepped closer to Sunshine’s bed, stopping less than a foot away. The light from the moon illuminated her, revealing a gentle smile on her muzzle but a mischievous glint in her eyes. “Such a sight you are, Tia! Are you certain this is the most profitable use of time for the ruler of the Equestria?”

"I am." Sunshine smiled up at Luna. "I have to say, little sister, that from my new size, you are quite imposing. Did it take you a long to find me, Lulu?"

Luna shook her head, sitting down on her haunches. “No, my dear Tia. This was the most sensible place for you to come, after all.”

"Applejack is one of Twilight's dearest friends, as well as the Element of Honesty." Sunshine nodded. "She agrees with you, by the way, Lulu."

“Applejack has always had a strong amount of good sense about her.” Luna gave a nod of her own. “But, I expect that she, like I, understands the futility of trying to get you to change your mind once you have committed yourself to an action.”

Sunshine looked down at her hooves a bit nervously, taking a deep breath. "She does. In fact, due to my discussion with her, I have decided to expand my lessons."

Luna frowned looking at the way her sister refused to meet her eyes. “Oh, dear. I am not certain I like where this is going, Sister.”

Sunshine looked up with a nervous smile. "I'm certain you most likely will not. However, I intend to explore what friendship is.” She shook her head with a small laugh. “I’ve had Twilight reporting to me for ages about what friendship is, and yet I myself have only the barest of understanding of it.” She sighed and looked around the small room she was staying in. “I also want to understand what being part of a community is like. To earn a living and be a normal mare." She considered while putting her hoof to her chin and shrugged. "Maybe I will even find a stallion to go to dinner with? I don't know. What I do know is that this is important and will help me when I return to being Celestia."

Luna sighed, feeling a migraine forming under her horn. “And I applaud your determination, Sister, but must you leave your dear sister in the company of these unfathomable and insufferable bureaucrats?”

Sunshine winced; she had forgotten that in making this decision she was leaving Luna to deal with the nobles by herself. "I am sorry for that, Lulu." She reached her hoof out to her sister.

Luna reached back to touch it. “And you won’t even allow me to flog any of those slimy favor merchants!”

"Luna." Sunshine look a serious tone of voice. "We discussed what is now illegal at great lengths. Think of it this way, dear little sister: you will be learning at the same time I am."

Luna sighed and nodded. “True, but at least I should call Cadance to Canterlot. She is much more... patient? Than I am. Perhaps she can help me understand this confusing mess! How do you manage, Sister?”

"I manage because it is important for our ponies to see us as… infallible." Sunshine said after a moment. "I think that is what I will enjoy the most: being able to make mistakes." She nuzzled her sister's forehoof, ignoring the cold metal horseshoes. "Yes, Lulu, you may ask Cadance to assist you... Luna?"

“Yes, my sister?” Luna asked softly, enjoying the sensation of Sunshine nuzzling against her hoof. It wasn’t often the sisters were able to just talk. Once Tia has returned, we must make time to do this daily… I’ve missed my big sister.

Sunshine glanced up with a smile."I was serious about you learning, as well. It is time for you to learn what it is like to have our ponies’ love." Something I know you have always desired, Luna…

“A few have already shown me.” Luna smiled a bit nervously as she glanced down at the floor. “I was actually thinking of inviting some of them to visit me in the palace.”

Sunshine smiled, using her hoof to lift Luna’s chin so she was able to look her in the eye. "I think that is a lovely gesture, little sister. Use this time to show our ponies who Princess Luna is."

“I shall. I promise!” Luna nodded firmly, a nervous yet excited smile playing at her muzzle.

Sunshine hugged her little sister and nuzzled her. "And for my time as Sunshine Meadow, I will be proud to be one of your little ponies... Princess Luna."

Luna laughed and held her older sister tightly, nuzzling against her cheek. “I love you, Sister! Always.”

"I love you too, Luna. With all that I am. Please, if you get the chance, come see me?" Sunshine felt tears streaming down her cheeks. "While deciding to do this was an easy decision, being without you again hurts."

Luna kissed Sunshine’s cheek, tasting the salt the tip of her tongue, licking it away from Sunshine’s fur. “I swear I will see you as often as I can!”

Sunshine hesitantly pulled back from Luna’s embrace and dug under her pillow. "Would you be willing to do me a favor before you return to Canterlot?"

Luna, who had cocked her head watching Sunshine dig under her pillow, smiled as her older sister placed a sealed scroll in front of her. “If it is at all in my power, Sister.”

Sunshine smiled and nodded. "Would you deliver this letter to Spike and tell him to come see me in the morning, without Twilight Sparkle?"

“Certainly.” Luna took the letter with her magic, setting it into the small saddle bags she was wearing.

Sunshine nervously squirmed, looking at her hooves with her ears pinned back. "Luna, may I have another hug before you go?"

Luna smiled, and without a word, warmly embraced her sister. “I’ll always give you a hug, Tia.”

Sunshine sighed, happily cuddling into Luna’s barrel as she looked out the window. "Your night is so beautiful, Lulu."

Luna laid her head on top of Sunshine’s, a knot in her throat as she clenched her eyes tight. “You always believed in me, Sister. I’ll never forget or question that again.”

“I guess I should get used to calling you Princess Luna, hmm?" Sunshine asked with a joking tone.

Luna lifted her head and lifted Sunshine’s muzzle to look into her eyes. “Never in private, Tia. Never.”

Sunshine nuzzled her muzzle. "Never, Lulu," she agreed before letting out a yawn. "I apologize, Lulu, but being mortal means I am required to sleep now, rather then just for the enjoyment it gives me as Celestia."

Luna chuckled and shook her head. “Even as immortals we need at least some sleep, Sister, but rest now. I will visit you again in your dreams.”

Sunshine climbed back under her covers to get comfortable and smiled, her ears once again perked up. "I'd like that. Maybe we could go running again together like we used to?"

Luna nodded eagerly. “Oh yes!”

Sunshine gave Luna a final nuzzle, then hesitated. "...Lulu?"

“Yes, dear Tia?” Luna glanced down at her sister, a touch worried.

Sunshine frowned, looking down the the blanket covering her, deep in thought. "Do you remember your fillyhood at all?"

Luna cocked her head, her right forehoof tapping against the wooden frame of Sunshine’s bed as she tried to think back that far, before finally shaking her head. “Not really. I just know you were there and that you loved me more than anything.”

Sunshine sighed in disappointment. She had hoped that with Luna having had far fewer memories… "I can't remember either. Nothing before the Windigos." She shook her head. “It’s all very strange…”

Luna rubbed under her horn grimacing a bit. “I remember… Star Swirl and the founders… but before that, everything is just... feelings.”

Sunshine nodded. "That’s my earliest memory as well… Except sometimes if I clear my mind and just concentrate on my breathing… I can remember running... running with you."

“Me too.” Luna smiled.

"It's strange though, I can't see you I only know you are there." Sunshine frowned as she stared at the blanket as if expecting answers to all the questions she had.

Luna glanced out of the window and released her breath slowly. “One day we will find out.”

"Then you have the same problem?" Sunshine asked, wondering why they had never really discussed any of this before. It’s like something doesn’t want us to remember.

“Yes,” Luna stated simply.

Sunshine crossed her forehooves. "I have decided something, Lulu!"

“Yes, Sister?” Luna rose an eyebrow as she looked down at her for now much smaller elder sister.

"Once I am able to befriend her in this guise, I am going to ask Twilight if a memory spell has been cast upon me."

“Reasonable.” Luna gave a simple nod

"As Sunshine, she will be far more likely to check than If I asked as Celestia." Sunshine sighed. “I adore Twilight, but sometimes I fear she thinks of us as infallible gods, Luna, even though she herself is now an alicorn.”

“Sometimes it takes time for even the things right in front of our muzzles to be revealed. I believe the saying goes as ‘not seeing the forest for the trees’?”

Sunshine laid down with her lips pursed, thinking about how the next few days would go. "Yes, I believe that’s the proper one…” Her eyes closed and she swallowed hard. “What if there is a spell there, Lulu? What pony could have been that powerful?"

Luna stared off into the distance, her wings flexing with uncertainty. “Off-hoof, I can only think of seven to have ever lived, and we can discount three of them for not having been there at the time...”

Sunshine nodded, chewing her lip furiously. "So there is Clover, Starswirl, yourself and I."

“And I think we can safely cull out you and I, Sister,” Luna said after a moment. After all, there could be every chance that what had been removed from their memories was so horrid that the sisters had done it themselves. But for it to be worse than Discord?... Unlikely.

"So that leaves only two," Sunshine stated without any sign of emotion.

“Indeed. Star Swirl or Clover.” Luna’s ears pinned back at the realization.

"Why would our friends do this to us?" Sunshine felt her voice break against her will as she asked the question both she and Luna ached to know.

Luna hesitated, licking her dry lips. Never had she felt so lost. Yet... “There must have been an overwhelming need to hide whatever they did.”

"Is it worthy to learn, then? Has it been long enough that this hurt would no longer harm us?" Sunshine looked up to see Luna shaking her head. She imagined her own eyes looked as haunted as Luna’s at this moment.

“I don’t know.”

Sunshine forcefully closed her eyes as she made her decision. "It has been enough time for me." Over one thousand years. More than enough time… much more.

Luna placed her hoof on Sunshine’s fore leg. “Then it has been enough for myself as well. Whatever pain, we will face it together.”

Sunshine looked up at Luna with a nervous smile on her muzzle. "Luna, I feel like a foal in asking this, but will you lay with me until I fall back to sleep?"

“Of course, my sister.” Luna smiled and gestured to the bed.

Sunshine scooted over to one side so that Luna was able to lay beside her.

Luna climbed into the bed and laid down on her back next to Sunshine, wrapping her wing around her. “Rest now, my sweet sister.”

Sunshine snuggled under her sister's wing, and soon enough, her breathing calmly slowed.

Luna smoothed her back gently. She briefly wondered what it would be like to have a foal of her own to care for in this way, then sighed. She had her sister, and that would be enough.

Applejack poked her head in and smiled. "Oh. Howdy, Princess Luna. Thought Ah heard voices coming from in here.”

“Hello, Applejack.” Luna calmly smiled up at the blinking earth pony as she slowly climbed out of the bed so not to disturb Sunshine.

"Everything alright in here? I, uh... wasn't exactly expectin’ to see you. I ain't too surprised, though." Applejack shook her head as her eyes took in the curled up pony, fast asleep with a smile on her lips.

Luna smiled with a touch of a smirk as she tucked Sunshine in. “Everything is fine. I just finally get to be the big sister, is all.”

"Been waiting to do that, huh?" Applejack raised her eyebrow as Luna giggled.

“Perhaps not waiting but it’s nice to be able to give Tia some of the same love and support she has always given me.” Luna shook her head and sighed. “I must admit, it’s nice.”

"If ya got time, will you tell me about her? Uh... Tia, I mean. Not Princess Celestia." Applejack chuckled a bit, uncertain if she had just insulted either Luna or Celestia, but paused at Luna’s expression.

“Might I suggest we go to your room to talk so that we don’t disturb my sleeping sister?” Luna smiled as Applejack nodded, gesturing Luna to follow her with a hoof. Applejack walked down the hall until she reached the last door on the right and nodded Luna inside before both took a seat on the floor.

“What would you like to know, Applejack?” Luna smiled. After all, Applejack was one of the mares responsible for saving her from her madness. There were very few things that Luna would not tell her saviors.

Applejack seemed to hesitate, tapping her right forehoof on the floor. "Well, what was she like as a filly? I mean, I reckon you were fillies at one point, weren't ya?"

Luna opened her mouth to answer, then stopped and frowned. “Logically, I know that we must have been, but I’m truly unable to tell you for certain.”

Applejack cocked her head as a voice in her head screamed at her that she should be thankful for the answers her Princess gave her. She shut that voice up, there was something in Luna’s voice… “What do ya mean?"

“Exactly what I said. I have impressions, feelings, but no real memories.” Luna shrugged. “It’s the same with Celestia as well.”

"Well, what do y'all remember?" Applejack asked after a moment.

Luna sighed as she wrinkled her muzzle, trying to think back. “Our first solid memories are of being adopted by Princess Platinum, and then sometime later, being given our own palace.”

"But you were mares, right?" Something about what Luna had said struck Applejack as not quite right.

“Yes, that is true. Not that she seemed to notice.” Luna smirked. “She, nor any of them, for that matter.”

Applejack paused, alarm bells had started ringing in her head. She wasn’t like Twilight in the sense that she researched everything, but why would the founders not treat the Princesses as the mares Luna said they were? "What do you mean by that, Princess?"

Luna giggled, shaking her head. “Just what I said. For example, you wouldn’t want to get caught having the munchies in the palace pantry by Smart Cookie, I promise you that.”

"A bit of a hard one, eh?" Applejack smiled, reminded of when she and Big Mac had tried to sneak cookies from the cookie jar as foals. Nearly always got caught by Granny.

Luna considered, then shook her head with a fond smile pulling at her lips. “No, just an amused stare and a ‘Y’all need to run along to bed, now.’”

Applejack laughed. "Ah say that often enough myself when the Crusaders or just Apple Bloom get into trouble."

Luna considered tapping her hoof against the floor, before finally shrugging. “That’s pretty much how Celestia and I were treated, actually. Although Chancellor Puddinghead had a habit of sneaking us goodies during meetings.

"So they treated the two of you like foals?" Applejack frowned, deep in thought. There must be a reason…

“Yes, indeed! It was fun, actually.” Luna smiled as her ears perked up in remembrance.

"Really?" Applejack found herself carefully observing Luna’s actions and her words.

Luna nodded her head eagerly. “Oh yes! And of course, all the times Star Swirl would chase us out of his lab!”

Applejack considered what Luna was telling her. "Huh... Sounds like you both were behavin’ like foals do, even..."

Luna looked a bit chastised as her left ear flicked a bit. “W-well... Star Swirl was always so secretive! Not like Clover, who would often demonstrate spells and experiments for us. And there was just something so irresistible about a wizard’s secrets!”

Applejack shook her head with her lips pursed together before she sighed. "No… It ain't that. There's more to it than just this."

Luna frowned, seemingly her normal self once more.“What do you mean, Applejack?”

"I don't know yet... Ah gotta think on it some. Ah think I’m going to go back to bed. Night, Princess." Applejack got up off the floor, stretching her back out.

“Good Night, Applejack… Um, Applejack? Before I go...” Luna stood up and smiled down at the smaller pony.

"Yes, Princess?" Applejack paused as she was about to climb into bed.

“I am unsure why my memories are as they are, just know that those memories were of happy times. In a way, your family has always been part of Celestia and I, of our lives.” Luna smiled as Applejack’s ears perked up.

"...Am I related ta’ her?" Applejack asked after a few moments of silence.

“Smart Cookie? You certainly are. And I can say without a doubt she would be proud to have you as her kin.”

Applejack considered this information before placing a hoof on Luna’s left foreleg. "I'm happy ta’ be part of your family, Princess."

“As am I, Applejack.” Luna smiled. “The mysteries of the past will be unraveled one day, but for now, Good night Applejack.”

"Night." Applejack crawled into bed as Luna quietly left the Apple Family home in the same manner she had arrived, returning to solid form once she stood outside of Golden Oaks library. Every light was off, something which caused Luna to sigh in relief. Good, Twilight Sparkle is asleep. Now, let me just… Her eyes glowed white as she entered the dream realm and began searching for the dream of her only dragon subject.


Luna quickly formed inside of Spike’s dream, as there had thankfully been a moon in his dream. For a few moments she watched, a bit confused but strangely amused as the dream played out in front of her. Spike was leading a blindfolded Rarity onto what she probably thought was a small hill. Spike then pulled the blindfold off and beamed, his arms spread wide. “Rarity! I’ve found the world’s largest diamond! And it’s all for you.”

Dream Rarity looked around, unable to see anything and frowning. “I’m afraid I just don’t see it, Spikey Wikey…”

Spike grinned up at her. “That’s because you haven’t looked down yet! You’re standing on it, my dear Rarity!” At that, Dream Rarity looked down and gasped, opening her forelegs to embrace Spike, she froze and Luna formed in front of Spike.

“I’m sorry to interupt your dream, young Spike, but I’m afraid I have need of you in the realm of the conscious.” Luna smiled gently at the disappointed dragonling, who sighed.

“Of course, Princess Luna. Do I need to come to Canterlot or…” Spike trailed off as Luna smiled.

“Not at all, little one. In fact, I am waiting for you right outside the library.” Luna watched as Spike nodded.

“Alright, Princess, I’ll be right out.” He sighed again as the air began to shimmer, a sure sign that the dream was ending. Luna bowed her head.


Luna blinked her eyes, clearing them as she looked up just in time to see Spike quietly shutting the library door behind him before he ran over to where Luna was waiting.

Spike bowed as Twilight had taught him so long ago, then smiled. “Hello, Princess Luna. It’s nice to see you in the real world.”

Luna nodded, then subsequently frowned. "I do apologize for having to awaken you, young Spike. It seemed you were quite happy."

Spike quickly shook his head with a grin. “It’s okay! They say you can’t remember a dream unless you wake up during it, anyway. And boy, is that one I want to remember!”

Luna smiled. "It did seem to be a pleasant one."

Spike eagerly nodded. “It was! But how can I help you, Princess? I mean, you came all the way here and woke me up, so it must be really important!”

Luna reached into her saddlebags and pulled out the scroll Sunshine had given her, handing it to Spike. "Can you read it alright?"

Spike unrolled it and read it, his eyes darting back and forth, before he nodded, rolling it back up. “The writing is a bit shaky and hard to read, but the wording sounds a lot like Princess Celestia’s.”

Luna sighed in relief and smiled. "It is from Celestia. I just wanted to make sure you could read it, though. You see, Tia is taking a... er, learning sabbatical."

Spike considered asking a few questions before shrugging it off; it wasn’t like the Princess didn’t deserve time off. A learning sabbatical? Sounds like something Twilight might do.

Luna seemed to hesitate before glancing back the way she had come. "Tia is actually here in Ponyville, though right now she is in disguise and fast asleep.”

“In disguise? What do you mean, Princess Luna?” Spike clutched the scroll in his claws a bit tighter as he waited for Luna’s response, but Luna simply smiled.

"Tomorrow morning, you are to go to Sweet Apple Acres without Twilight Sparkle. If you go straight to Applejack she will direct you to my sister."

Spike scratched his head at the directions. “Alone? Twilight isn’t supposed to know?”

Luna shook her head. "Not yet. Just read the letter to Twilight Sparkle in the morning, then go to Sweet Apple Acres. I’m certain Celestia will explain everything to you then.”

Spike nodded with a firm salute, which Shining Armor had taught him. “Alright, Princess. You can count on me!”

Luna smiled and bent her head down, giving Spike a small nuzzle. "Pleasant dreams, Spike, and for your assistance in all of this, you have my word that your dream will continue from where I paused it once you re-enter the dream realm.”

Spike grinned before backing up a few steps. “Thank you, Princess! Have a good night!”

Luna nodded before she spread her wings and flew back towards Canterlot. The next day was going to be the first of many busy and stress filled ones. I wonder how fast Cadance can get here…

Spike looked down at the scroll in his claws with a small frown before sighing and heading back inside. A small smile tugged at his lips as he recalled Luna’s promise, and after dropping the scroll on the table he eagerly hurried back to bed.

Author's Note:

It's alive!