• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 9,925 Views, 412 Comments

What if God Were One of Us? - Foals Errand



Princess Celestia knew how her kingdom worked. The Unicorns used magic. Pegasi flew in the sky and handled the weather. And Earth ponies... Earth ponies... Huh, maybe Celestia didn't know everything about her ponies. That was about to change.

  • ...
37
 412
 9,925

Dinner Time


Celestia stared down at the unconscious earth pony lying before her. Her ears fell against her head.

"She… did not take this as well as I had hoped she would," she muttered, and nudged the unconscious Applejack with the tip of her right fore hoof. "Applejack?"

Big Mac walked into the entrance hall having heard the thump when Applejack passed out. His eyes widened a touch as he walked over to where she was on the floor. “AJ?” He nudged her side with his muzzle.

Celestia turned to him while biting her lip. "I was only speaking with her when she passed out."

Big Mac nodded towards the newcomer. “GRANNY! Get the smelling salts, will ya? AJ’s upended!”

A much older voice was heard coming from what Celestia assumed was the kitchen. "Did she drink too much of my cider? Ah warned her about that... Now dagnabbit, where did ah put those... Bloomie! Ya’ see where them smelling salts are?"

“They’re in the ‘first aid’ box in the kitchen, Granny!” a high pitched voice cried from the other room.

“Go git ‘em, your sister is on the floor!”

“Yes’m Granny!”

Celestia sat down on her haunches next to Applejack and put the tip of her hoof to Applejack’s throat with her tongue in between her teeth.

“Well?” Big Mac asked, watching this strange pony. He chewed a bit of hay trying not to worry.

"Her pulse seems fine," Celestia said. She let out a breath she didn’t realize she had been holding in.

“That’s good.” Big Mac nodded slowly, looking over the stranger from the corner of his eye. “Apple Bloom, hurry up with the salts.”

At that moment, Apple Bloom ran into the room with a small wooden box in her mouth, "Ah ‘ot em!" she mumbled, and slid to a stop in front of Macintosh to set the box on the ground at his hooves.

“Thanks,” Big Mac rumbled. He gingerly opened the box, removing the small bottle inside it with his teeth.

All the while, Celestia watched as Applejack was taken care of, then leaned forward intently as the other mare's eyelids began to twitch.

“So!” a wizened voice said as the Granny Smith came into the entranceway. “What’s all the commotion?”

“Gah!” Applejack sat up quickly, rubbing at her nose and eyes.

Taken by surprise, Celestia fell onto her back with wide eyes and a pounding heart. "A-Applejack?"

Applejack shook her head while trying to clear her nostrils. “Granny! We let yer cider set too long. It ain’t supposed ta knock a pony flat before ya drink it!”

Celestia felt her ears fall as she sat back up. "I don't believe that is actually possible, Applejack."

“Princess Celestia? You’re really here?” Applejack asked, moving to sit on her haunches and raising an eyebrow at the small white mare. Now that she was conscious again she was able to take a better look at her Princess’s new body. Her fur was still the same white that Applejack remembered. Her cutie mark was still the yellow sun. Applejack lifted an eyebrow as she looked at the larger than life cutie mark refitted onto a normal sized pony. It looked a lot less intimidating like this. Celestia’s mane and tail which had always been moving in an invisible wind had stopped. Her mane of blue, pink, and green had changed as well, to a normal light pink.

Applejack was fairly certain once she stood up that Celestia may also actually be smaller than her. This is all just too much!

Celestia glanced at the Apple family. She hadn't really wanted the whole family to know. That seemed to be a moot point now, though. "Yes Applejack, it's me."

“Princess Celestia! Is… is that really you?” Granny Smith exclaimed, her eyes wide with surprise.

"Hello, Granny Smith. Yes, I am Princess Celestia. I had myself turned into an earth pony to see how you live."

Granny Smith stared at this pony claiming to be Celestia for a few brief moments not sure what to say. Her eyes caught sight of the familiar cutie mark and she grinned Hooey! This here is gonna be some story!

Big Mac turned his head, a blush enflaming his cheeks.

"Applejack came to me about taxes this morning as you know. Yet as I was speaking with her, I realized just how little I truly know about earth ponies. I was disappointed in myself for this, so I went to Discord."

“You...” Applejack stammered getting to her hooves. “Princess Celestia. Ah mean no disrespect, but you did what?!”

"I went to Discord, Applejack." She considered her for a moment. "Actually, I summoned him to me if I am to be truthful."

“Again, no offense but in Luna’s name, why?”

"Well, because I knew he could do it. Remember when you faced him for the first time?"

“Do what exactly?”

"He was able to turn Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash into earth ponies."

“We’d better skip the part where you went crazy and asked him to make you an earth pony and trusting him not to pull something at some point, somehow. Ah just might lose it.”

"I did not go crazy, Applejack! Although my sister and Discord both seem to disagree," Celestia grumbled a bit. Why did everypony think she’d gone crazy?

“Applejack! You hush that mouth!” Granny Smith said, scandalized by the younger mare’s tone.

"It's quite alright, Granny Smith. I want to hear Applejack's opinion. In fact, my sister thought this was ridiculous as well." Celestia pondered this for a few moments, eyes closed and her left ear twitching. "I do not though, I am one of the rulers of Equestria. I know so much about my unicorns and pegasi but even though I am one-third earth pony… I know nothing of them. Therefore, after our talk, Applejack, I decided to fix that. I easily could have used an illusion charm to hide my wings and horn, and even to shrink myself, but that would be all it was; nothing but an illusion."

“Ah guess ah just don’ trust Discord any further than Ah can buck him.” Applejack crossed her forehooves, coming to grips with what had happened.

"Well, I don't trust him either. However, there is his one weakness..."

“Fluttershy,” Applejack finished.

"Exactly. In fact, I have a letter prepared in case he declines to return myself to my proper form. It is in Luna’s possession."

“Okay, so you planned ahead,” AJ nodded with a small smile. “Well, now what Princess?”

"I'd like to stay here with you and your family if I am allowed to? If want to live as an earth pony, I need to understand! I will never be able to be fair to all my little ponies if I cannot."

“Of course, Princess!” Granny Smith said with a grin.

Apple Bloom eagerly took off at a gallop to get a fresh blanket for the guest bed.

"Wait!" Celestia called out before the filly could fully clear the doorway.

The filly skidded to a halt and turned around, head cocked and eyes wide.

"I have to explain something. I don't want to be treated as Princess Celestia. No ‘Princess,’ no special treatment, nothing like that. While I look as I do, call me..." She closed her eyes in thought for a moment. She reopened them with a brilliant smile, "Sunshine Meadow."

“But...” Granny Smith started while Apple Bloom listened, somewhat awestruck by the idea.

"Please, Granny Smith. How can I understand being an earth pony mare if I'm being treated as
Princess Celestia?"

Granny Smith lowered her head in thought. “Well, I’m still not sure I understand the sense in it. But we Apples owe everything to you for telling my Pa to settle here. So if this is what you want, then we Apples are obliged to help as best we can.” She let out a soft chuckle in remembrance.

"Why are you laughing, Granny Smith?" Sunshine Meadow asked with a raised brow.

“I was just remembering the look Ma gave my Pa after he saw you that day.”

Sunshine blinked and then blushed. "Oh! Anyway, thank you for allowing me to stay."

“You’re welcome,” Granny nodded heading back to her rocking chair since things were settled.

Big Macintosh perked his ears, “AJ? I think you left Winona outside. I’ll go get her!”

Sunshine felt her belly growl. "I should have had dinner with Luna before I had Discord drop me off."

“Well, we still have some leftovers from supper. I’ll fix you up a plate,” Applejack said while getting to her hooves. “Apple Bloom? Go ahead and get the blankets fer the guest bed.”

"No problem, sis!" Apple Bloom took off to search for them.

Sunshine followed Applejack to the dining room. "It smells wonderful!"

“It ain’t fancy, but it’s good!”

Sunshine sat at the table and sniffed, "What is it?"

“Carrot soup with bread and apple tart for dessert,” Applejack said with a grin. It was a simple but hearty meal fairly typical for the Apples. Applejack was curious how Sunshine would take to the common fare.

"I don't think I've ever had carrot soup." Sunshine looked eagerly at the pot on the stove, which was giving off a delectable scent.

“An ah doubt yer practiced in eatin’ the way we do, so Ah’m gonna start with ladlin’ jes a small amount inta’ yer bowl until ya get the hang of it.”

Sunshine nodded in acceptance, "That sounds very reasonable, Applejack."

“Yep. Now watch me...”

Sunshine observed as Applejack took the bowl in both forehooves and brought it to her muzzle. Alright, that seems simple enough!

“Now you try it.”

Sunshine took the wooden bowl she had been given in her hooves and went to lift the bowl, only to have it fall into her lap. "Yow!" She winced as the hot soup splashed over her belly.

Applejack got a towel and wiped up the hot soup while checking for injury. Satisfied that Sunshine was alright, she looked her in the eye with a gentle shrug. “Sorry about that.”

"I-It isn't your fault Applejack. I just haven’t ever used my hooves to eat before," Sunshine admitted with a blush.

“Let’s just work on just handling the bowl. Then we’ll be ready for the soup.” Applejack took out a fresh bowl and set it in front of Sunshine.

Sunshine stared at the empty wooden bowl in front of her. Slowly she placed one forehoof on either side and began to lift it to her muzzle, only to watch it slip and clatter back onto the table. “Son of a timberwolf,” Sunshine heard herself curse.

Applejack lifted an eyebrow at the quiet curse which she had heard. I didn’t think the Princess even knew phrases like that. “That’s alright Sunshine, jes’ try it again!”

Sunshine sighed and nodded. Once again, she reached and grabbed the bowl with her forehooves and it dropped to the table, again. After five times in a row, Sunshine threw up her hooves in frustration. “Oh, for the love of Discord!”

Applejack quickly covered her muzzle with a hoof, trying to keep the snort of amusement inside. Never thought Ah’d see Princess Celestia lose her temper or take Discord’s name in vain! Well, Ah can believe that last part.

Sunshine buried her head in her hooves. She was starving! Get it together, Celestia! You are one of the two rulers of Equestria, not a foal who can’t reach a favored toy! Just take a few moments to clear your head and stop this tantrum before it truly begins!

Sunshine nodded to herself. She lifted her head from her forearms and brought her right fore hoof to her chest while breathing in, and slowly pulled it back as she breathed out. Next time she saw her niece she would thank her for demonstrating this calming method. It truly helped! After another run through of deep breaths, Sunshine once again felt ready to face her enemy. Well, at least her enemy as far as it meant to be able to fill her belly with the very delicious smelling soup, which was making her mouth water. Sunshine stared it down but the bowl did not waver, possibly because it was a bowl. She grasped it once more in her forehooves, and carefully... very slowly, she lifted it up to her muzzle, and then set it back down. Sunshine’s eyes lit up, she finally felt accomplished! She knew it was silly but…

“I did it! I finally did it!” Sunshine beamed up at Applejack.

“There ya go!” Applejack happily nodded and then ladled out some more soup. “I think yer ready now.”

Sunshine nodded and lifted the half-filled bowl up to her muzzle. She took a sip, and her eyes lit up at the first taste. "This is..."

“Simple, but good. It’ll sure fill the belly, and on a cold night it’ll do to warm yah up.”

"Applejack, I don't think I've tasted anything such as this.” She furrowed her her brow, Is it simply because an earth pony made it? Is that possible?

“Tell me what the purest water is?” Applejack asked after a moment of silence.

"The rain," Sunshine stated without even needing to think about it.

“An’ why is that?”

"It's the least corrupted water we have," she stated after a moment, having taken another sip of soup.

“Cause there ain’t nothin’ else to it pretty much. Ah know fancy type chefs can combine stuff in amazing ways, but they always tend to think in terms of what to add. The more you add, the further you get away from what you start with. But fer us, simplicity is as much a virtue as a necessity.”

Sunshine considered what Applejack said carefully. It was true that her chefs strived every day to entertain her taste buds with brand new delicacies. So many in fact that she doubted she had been allowed to eat such a simple meal in... How long had it been? Sunshine could not recall. "It's wonderful, Applejack."

“Ah’m glad you like it,” Applejack replied with a simple smile.

Sunshine returned to her meal in silence, thinking of what she had already learned in just the two hours she had been an earth pony mare. She tore off a piece of the bread she had been given and sopped up the soup. She paused a moment before placing the bread into her mouth and closed her eyes. So wonderful! "I think I'll hire some earth ponies to the kitchens."

Applejack studied her thoughtfully. She was inclined to agree with Granny Smith that they were all fortunate to have a princess like Celestia. But now they had been given both an honor and a responsibility to look after Celestia without coddling her so that she could learn; as was her honest nature and intent. “Well, after you’re finished, we’ll get you settled in and you’ll need ta turn in fer a good night sleep. We’ll be bucking in the south orchard in the morning.”

"Apple bucking I… er, have seen it done, of course, but I have never attempted it." Sunshine felt nervous as she returned to her meal.

“And fer good reason. In yer natural form, a good righteous kick from you might buck all the apples in it, but also break the tree.”

"I agree," Sunshine blushed. "Um, you mentioned a dessert?":

“Apple Tart! It’s a family recipe that goes at least back to Great Grandma.”

"I'd like to try it. May I?"

“Sure thing!” Applejack served a couple of them up.

Sunshine grabbed one carefully, took a bite, and immediately swooned, "Oh… Oh my!"

“Ah know! Careful! Eat too much and we would both be hippopotamuses rather than ponies.”

"Did you know the study of ponies is hippology?"

“Shucks!” Applejack grins. “An Ah thought hippology was the study of cake!”

Sunshine felt a tug at the corner of her lips which led to a smile, and soon she was laughing right along with Applejack.

Applejack grinned, herself. “Havin’ a sense of humor tends to be a must out here.”

Sunshine giggled, "I can see that. May I ask you something, Applejack?"

“Sure thing!”

"Applejack, what… what do you think of me?"

“Ah still think yer a bit crazy... But Ah also think Equestria is lucky that you’re our princess.”

"That wasn't exactly what I meant." Sunshine paused a moment. "What do you think of Princess Celestia?"

“Ah think you do a pretty good job taking care of the big things. But Ah also think you’ve been so busy with the big picture, you can’t see what goes on at the bottom. Ah mean, havin’ met you, and then hearin’ some fussy big-shot proclaim ‘in the name of Celestia’? A pony would think yer everywhere at once.”

Sunshine felt her ears fall. "I am not everywhere, Applejack. Believe it or not, I am not a god. I am a pony. I was born just like you, I had parents. Being everywhere at once is impossible. You are right though; I am too focused on noble worries."

“Ah don’t mean that to be personal, Ah know better. But the pony in the street? They get the rules and ‘in Celestia’s name’ is supposed to explain and decide everything. Ah know that ain’t you. But ponies is misusing yer name.”

"I'm sorry Applejack, I don't yet know what I can do about that at this time." She put her head in her hooves, deep in thought.

“Have faith in yerself. Ah do. Ah know you’ll figure it out.”

Sunshine nodded. "Oh, Applejack?"

“Yes?”

"Might you have some parchment and a quill with some ink?"

“Of a sort. I’ll go get it.”

"Thank you Applejack, I plan on writing friendship letters to Twilight during my time as Sunshine Meadow."

”Not that she probably won’t figure things out herself, but won’t that blow yer cover?”

"I don't think so, Applejack. I don't have to say where I am, just the lessons I have learned. Also, I quite agree; Twilight will figure me out. I know that I will need her." Her ears fell, a clear sign that she was feeling quite nervous. "Applejack... may I tell you something?"

“Sure?

"Twilight is my best friend," she said, looking at nothing in particular with a small smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“Ah’m not surprised. She has that effect on ponies.”

"I have to admit, I'm feeling very selfish right now Applejack."

“How so?”

"I want to befriend Twilight like this. I want to be her real friend, and not worry about her being tense at the sight of me or calling me ‘Princess’ no matter how many times I tell her to call me Celestia. I'm so very eager to see what Ponyville is really like." She had begun to draw invisible circles with her hoof, "I'm selfish… I'm sorry Applejack."

“That’s not selfish.”

"You don't think so? I became an earth pony to understand how you live, but I want to take advantage of it.'

“You want a real chance to strengthen the bonds between you and Twilight. That doesn’t undermine what yer tryin’ to learn here. As you said, yer here to learn and experience things you can't as ruler of Equestria. Shouldn’t that include personal experience an’ development?”

Sunshine's ears perked up a bit, "Yes, yes it should, in fact." She considered this, thinking on it hard. "Would it be alright if I expanded my learning experience? I was only planning a few weeks, but maybe… Maybe I need to expand my learning opportunity."

“Why not?”

"I'd of course pay for my room here." Sunshine smiled, "Yes, I think this will be good for me and for Equestria when I am Princess Celestia again."

“Sounds fair,” Applejack agreed.

"What do you think would be a proper price for food and boarding?"

“Well, ah’d say 50 bits a month, but you’d make about 5 bits a day, so about 100 bits a month pay to you.”

Sunshine nodded, "That is fair, Applejack. I hope you'll help me with the lessons I hope to learn?"

“Course Ah will!”

"Thank you, Applejack. Thank you so much!"

“Yer welcome. Ah’ll leave ya to write but you should get some rest soon. We’ll be up before dawn.”

"I should speak to Luna as soon as I can, but I suppose that can wait." Sunshine entered the guest room and lifted then quill in her mouth:

Dear Twilight, I know you were not expecting this letter. However, it seems I will be learning many lessons myself over a small amount of time. I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to tell you what I learned; starting now. Today, I learned that even when somepony is feeling that they are behaving selfishly, they can also be behaving in the best way for the other ponies.

~Celestia.

Sunshine stared down at the sloppily written letter. "Oh, I do hope my writing gets better!"

Author's Note:

I hope you enjoyed the newest chapter. I'm not sure what to say about it yet but I do hope you all enjoy!
Foals