• Published 25th Feb 2012
  • 4,893 Views, 568 Comments

The Wandering Physicist Adventures - WanderingPhysicist



Scientist, nerd, mystery. Ponyville's newest resident has a lot of secrets to share with new friend

  • ...
19
 568
 4,893

PreviousChapters Next
RSI and the Mystery of Parenting

Main Characters: Rei, Stormy, Silver Spoon, Righteous Midnight
Cameos: Image, Scootaloo, Twist, Sunshine Drop, Jade Emerald, TWP, Daring Do, Diamond Tiara
Original Start Date: November 18, 2012 (Wii U Day! … If I had the money T_T)


Rei and Stormy chat while they wait for their last class to start. Image mopes at his desk. His first fillyfriend, Moon Glow, recently moved out of town. They only had enough time for one date before she left. Around the room, other groups of students relax. A small group of young mares stare and sigh at Stormy, hoping to get his attention. The health teacher, pegasus Patience Goodheart, enters the room with a rolled-up scroll in her mouth. She sets it on her desk and turns to the quieting class.

‘Sorry that I am late,’ Ms Goodheart apologizes. ‘I was just finishing up preparations for your last assignment of the year.’

Several students, including Rei, cheer at the announcement.

Patience groans at her class’ reaction. ‘Anyway, we are going to be studying parenthood. And to do so, you are going to pair up as family units. The units will be one colt and one filly, since that is the most common family unit despite recent advances in science and magic.’

Several hooves shoot into the air.

Patience groans again. ‘Not like how my cousin explained it to you a few weeks ago.’

‘OH!’ most of the class exclaims.

The teacher sighs. ‘I have arranged for volunteers from the local elementary school to play your foals. You will help with their education, watch them after school, make sure they are eating properly and any other basic parenting duty that might arise. I have arranged for the local hotel to offer discount rates on basic rooms if you want to take the extra step (and get some extra credit) and try living as a family as well. You would need parental support from all parties and clear it with me first, though.’

‘Ooo! Ooo!’

‘Yes, Rei?’

‘Can you pair me and Stormy with Del as our kid?’

‘I have already picked the family units.’ Patience unravels her scroll and holds it in her wings. ‘Also, I don’t see a “Del” on this list. She must not need the extra credit Cheerilee is offering.’

‘Damn right,’ Rei laughs. ‘Me and daddy are teaching her to be a perfectly normal pony.’

The rest of the class starts laughing.

Stormy leans back. ‘Rei, there are certain words that you shouldn’t use to describe yourself. “Normal” is one of them.’

Rei snorts then looks up. ‘Me, Image and Apple Bloom?’

‘Since you are so keen to find out your partner, how about we save you for last?’ Ms Goodheart counters. Getting a frown from her student, the teacher continues, ‘Okay. Cheerilee’s class gets out after we do, so when I announce your group, you are free to leave to meet your junior partners and get started on your assignment. I would recommend meeting with the foal’s parents to find out any of their needs and to plan living arrangements if you wish to go for the extra credit. The assignment won’t officially begin until next week, but it never hurts to start early. Any last questions before I announce the groups?’

A number of fillies raise their hooves.

‘I think I know what most of you are going to ask,’ Patience sighs. ‘In that case, Stormy is partnered with Jade Emerald.’

‘YES!’ a green unicorn shouts, double hoofpumping.

Stormy groans and hits his head on his desk. A number of other young mares in the class grumble at their excited peer.

‘You two will be paired with a nice young filly named Scootaloo. You two are free to go if you want.’

Stormy gets up and levitates a copy of the assignment from Ms Goodheart’s desk. Jade prances across the room beside her pretend husband. Before they exit, Jade turns back and sticks her tongue at her peers.

Patience shakes her head. ‘Moving on...’

‘Next group is Image Crystal and Sunshine Drop. You are paired with a filly named Peppermint Twist.’

An annoyed-looking yellow pegasus trots towards the door followed by the sullen earth pony.

‘Listen, I am going to need the extra credit. You better not try anything weird,’ Sunshine huffs as they leave school..

‘Don’t worry,’ Image moans. ‘Stormy taught me how to be a perfect gentleman. … At least Moon Glow thought so...’

‘Hm... You are friends with Stormy, aren’t you?’ The pegasus grins craftily. ‘This might work out better than I thought.’

The classroom is almost empty. Just a few students remain to be paired off. Rei is still excited to be paired with any of the remaining colts in the room. Ms Goodheart looks in the excited young mare’s direction.

‘All right, Rei. It is your turn.’

Rei squeals with excitement.

‘You and Mr Righteous Midnight will be watching Miss Silver Spoon.’

‘Cool!’ Rei cheers.

A dark blue unicorn groans, ‘Why do I have to be with the spaz?’

‘First of all,’ Patience hisses, ‘Rei is a lovely young mare. You should consider yourself lucky to be paired with a friendly pony like her. Second, she is doing much better than you in this class, possibly others. Maybe she might have a good influence on your grade. You may also want to look into the extra credit option as well.’

‘Fine,’ Midnight groans. He trots towards the door. ‘Let’s go.’

Rei trots after her fake husband. They make their way out of school, but both head in different directions.

‘Schoolhouse is this way.’ Rei points.

‘Yeah, well, the thing is I have work right after school,’ Midnight replies. ‘You don’t mind if I take off so I can get there on time?’

‘I have work right after school too.’

‘Yeah... but you own your place and have employees. My boss would be very upset if I were late.’

‘You’re going to tell him about this assignment, right? I am willing to do my part, but you have to help too.’

‘Yeah, whatever. Everything will work out the way it is supposed to.’

Rei sighs and shrugs. ‘Fine. Tell me where you work, and Silver Spoon and I can at least say “hi” and start planning.’

‘I am not sure Mr Rich will allow me to use my break for that, but you can try. Well, see ya.’

Midnight gallops away. Rei snorts and flies to the schoolhouse. Other groups are waiting and planning their assignment. Rei lands by Stormy, who is being smiled at by Jade, and Image, who is being ignored by Sunshine in favor of Stormy.

‘Hey, guys,’ Rei greets.

‘Shouldn’t you be with somepony?’ Stormy asks.

‘Well, uh, he had to get to work...’ Rei smiles nervously. ‘Marriage is a give and take.’

‘I can take anything you give me,’ Jade tells Stormy.

‘Me too!’ Sunshine adds.

Stormy groans, ‘This is going to be fun.’

‘So, who is going to go for extra credit?’ Rei asks.

Sunshine rolls her eyes. ‘Well, I need it, so I’ll get my parents to help out with getting a room.’ She glares at Image. ‘Nothing weird, okay?’

The earth pony sighs and nods.

Stormy leans in to his friend and whispers, ‘Think of it this way: you will get to spend a week with one of the most popular fillies in class.’

Image’s ears perk up and he grins.

‘Nothing. Weird.’ Sunshine growls.

‘I was thinking of asking Inkie if I could use her place,’ Rei says.

‘What about me?’ Stormy asks.

‘Find your own Inkie or use your fillyfriend’s apartment.’

‘Yeah. That is one conversation I want to have with Trixie.’

‘Come on, Rei,’ Image protests. ‘You can always swap with Daring since it is your shop. Then me and Stormy get to fight over who harasses your fillyfriend for the keys to her apartment.’

Rei glares at her friend. Electricity sparks between her flared wings.

‘Don’t worry. I think I can take him,’ Stormy says. ‘I was able to lift a whole ocean.’

‘Stormy is so strong,’ Jade coos.

The magenta unicorn sighs as he holds his pretend wife away from kissing him. The bell rings, and the schoolhouse starts emptying. A number of students remain inside to receive extra instructions from Cheerilee. Some of the foals look at the waiting teens before heading home. Del stops just outside of the door and watches the unusual occurrence. Diamond Tiara marches to the surrogate parents.

‘Which one of you is going to be working with Silver Spoon?’ the filly demands.

‘I will, Diamond-chan!’ Rei cheers, waving.

‘Well, you better be nice to her. She doesn’t have the best home life, and I’ll be pissed if you ruin the one week she gets a change.’

‘Don’t worry. Rei-chan is a good mommy!’

Diamond Tiara moans and trots past. She stops by Rei. ‘If you are anything like your dad, yes, you are.’

The filly gallops away before Rei gets a chance to hug her. Slowly, the students file out of the schoolhouse. They go to the different pairs to find who they are assigned with. When the Cutie Mark Crusaders exit, Sweetie Belle immediately gallops to Stormy and hugs his leg.

‘I am sorry that I couldn’t get you, Stormy,’ Sweetie sobs.

‘Don’t worry about it.’ Stormy waves. ‘Hey, Scoots! Over here!’

‘WHAT!’ Sweetie’s voice cracks, causing everypony except Stormy and Rei to wince.

Scootaloo trots over. Sweetie growls at her friend.

‘Sup,’ Scootaloo greets. ‘Guess we’re hangin’ out next week, Stormy.’

Stormy hoofbumps Scootaloo. ‘Looks like it. We’re going to try getting Trixie or Inkie’s apartment to stay in. Hope your mom is okay with that.’

‘Sure. We can go talk to her now.’ The young pegasus looks at Jade. ‘Hi. I’m Scootaloo.’

‘Jade Emerald. Nice to meet you. Cute mane.’

‘Uh, thanks? So, you know how to get there, right?’

‘Could you show us?’

‘Fine.’ Scootaloo hops on her scooter and turns to wave at her friends. ‘See ya tomorrow!’

Scootaloo flaps her wings, and the young adults follow after the skating pegasus. Sweetie Belle growls and stomps a bit before looking for her partners.

‘Hello, Mithter Image,’ Twist greets as she trots up. ‘Do you remember me from your shop?’

‘Of course I remember you, Twist,’ Image replies. ‘This is Sunshine Drops. She will be working with us.’

‘Nith to meet you.’ Twist holds out a friendly hoof.

Sunshine weakly shakes the offered hoof. ‘Hi... You know, I can give you some tips to keep your mane under control.’

‘Be nice,’ Image groans. ‘You only get one chance to make a first impression.’

‘It’th okay. Tho, do you want to talk about thith athsignment?’

The three ponies trot away, leaving Rei alone. Other classmates, Apple Bloom and a couple other foals wave to Rei as they leave. Del looks around and goes to Rei, thinking the mysterious event is over.

‘Time to go home now?’ the filly asks.

‘Not yet. Besides, I have work after this.’

Del perks up. ‘Free Pocky?’

‘Only if Del works for it.’

‘Del wants Pocky, but Del also does not want work. Y U torture Del!’

Rei laughs and gives the filly a pouch of Pocky from her saddlebag. Silver Spoon eventually exits the building while talking with Cheerilee. Rei smiles and trots over.

‘Hi!’ Rei greets.

‘Hello, Rei,’ Cheerilee replies with a smile to rival the young mare’s. ‘I was just answering some last-minute questions from Silver Spoon here. … Aren’t you supposed to be with somepony?’

‘He had to work.’

‘Oh, that’s too...’

‘I understand,’ Silver Spoon interrupts. ‘Some parents can’t always be there, even if they want to.’

‘Cheer up, Silver Spoon,’ Cheerilee encourages. ‘Rei is one of the nicest, smartest, funnest ponies in Ponyville, if not Equestria. You’ll have a great time with her.’

‘I guess...’

‘Pocky?’ Del offers.

‘No thanks.’

Del shrugs and eats a stick in one bite.

‘Well, I’ll leave you to get to know each other and discuss the assignment,’ Cheerilee says. She reenters the schoolhouse. ‘Have fun!’

Rei waves and trots away with the two fillies beside her.

‘What is the real reason your partner didn’t come?’ Silver Spoon asks.

‘He really is working. It is just one of the allowances we will have to make.’

‘Hm... What about the extra credit? Are we staying at your place or something?’

‘I’m going to talk to the pony that lives above my shop, so we’ll probably stay there if you want to.’

‘It took a lot of begging, but I got my mom to agree to everything for the assignment as long as you two pay for the food and other stuff.’

‘We can always live off Pocky and CC Lemon, and I can write it off as a business expense,’ Rei giggles.

‘That might work, but you’ll have to claim me as an employee on your tax forms.’

‘Tax forms? I was only joking.’

‘Oh.’ Silver Spoon adjusts her glasses. ‘So, um...’

‘Want to come over? I can show you around the shop, or you can hang out with Del at home.’

‘Okay... I guess that sounds fun.’

‘OH! And you are going to have to tell me all of your favorite foods and dishes so I can make everything you love!’

Silver Spoon looks up at Rei. The young mare looks down and smiles. The filly returns the smile.

James trots into his home after work and immediately notices something is amiss. There are far too many ponies than there should be.

‘There are far too many ponies here than there should be,’ The Observant Physicist notes.

‘Hey, sexy!’ Daring shouts from the couch.

Beside Daring, Silver Spoon leans slightly forward and waves. Del lays, curled up, in front of the couch pony-tatoes while sipping a juice box.

‘Hi, Mr Wanderer!’ Inkie’s voice calls from the kitchen. ‘We’re just finishing up dinner.’

‘Daddy’s home!’ Rei cheers, also from the kitchen.

James counts on his hooves. ‘Yep. Far too many. I’m going to Twilight’s.’

‘Ah, ditching me already, roomie?’ Daring teases.

‘What was that?’

‘Just helping the kid with her homework.’

‘… What was that?’

James sits at the kitchen table, surrounded by guests, after dinner. Rei finishes explaining her assignment.

‘And that is all there is to it,’ Rei concludes.

‘The song in the middle was a little over the top,’ James sighs. He looks around at the mares in front of him. ‘Rei, get Silver Spoon home.’

‘Yes, sir.’

Rei motions and the filly follows. James looks at the remaining ponies.

‘As for the rest of you, I am willing to help Rei.’

‘YES!’ Daring double hoofpumps.

‘You will be staying in your old room.’

‘Oh, I’ll stay there, but I’m not sleeping there.’

‘So it begins...’ James shakes his head then turns to Inkie. ‘You can have Rei’s room that week.’

Inkie blushes. ‘Rei’s...’

‘Oh, geez. You two are engaged.’

‘Pre-engaged,’ Inkie corrects.

‘Whatever. I’m going to rest for a bit.’

James gets up and goes to the couch. Daring follows and hops beside him. He gives her an annoyed glare.

‘Cuddle buddy?’ the treasure hunter counters.

James groans and buries his head. Back at the table, Del looks up at Inkie.

‘Mr Wanderer gives me lots of ice cream after dinner,’ the filly says.

‘Nice try, Del,’ Inkie giggles.

After the next few days of preparations, the health class is ready for their first day of their assignment. Most of the students wait outside of the schoolhouse again. Rei is one of the few students to show up alone. The schoolhouse bell rings, and the foals run out. A number of them have supplies for staying with their temporary guardians. Sweetie Belle grumbles in Scootaloo’s direction as the friends split up. Rei waves down Silver Spoon, and they trot away together.

‘He didn’t show up again,’ Silver mumbles.

‘Don’t worry,’ Rei assures. ‘Midnight will be here. He’s going to have to help out if he wants his grade.’

‘You really think so?’

‘He has to! On the last day, our teacher will interview all of us and base our grades on that. You’re going to help determine if we pass of fail.’

‘Hmm...’ Silver Spoon adjusts her glasses. ‘At this point, you would be the only one passing.’

Rei laughs nervously. ‘It will be fine... It will be fine...’

‘My dad said it would be fine too...’

Rei gives the filly a worried smile. ‘Hang in there. Don’t worry.’

The two ponies chat while they trot through town. They pass Image’s group as the young stallion tries carrying all the bags Sunshine Drops insisted on packing. Jade waits for Scootaloo outside her home. Back in the nerd district, the streets are less active as the usual customers are out trying to make the first day of their assignment work. Rei and Silver Spoon enter Neighponese Imports.

‘Hey, Rei! Sup, Silver Spoon!’ Flitter greets while heading towards the back.

‘Flitter-chan,’ Rei replies.

‘Who was that?’ Silver Spoon asks.

‘Flitter works the day shift while I am at school. We try to have one pony on duty at all times.’

‘But we are borrowing the upstairs from your boss?’

‘Rei’s the boss, kid,’ Daring says as she trots up. ‘I’m just in charge when she ain’t around.’

Flitter trots out of the back. ‘Catch all of you in the morning. Don’t cause too much trouble.’

Daring and Rei wave to their friend.

‘You two take a moment to get settled,’ Daring tells Rei. ‘I’m betting it will be pretty slow.’

‘I bet you’re right. Is everything cleaned up?’

‘Cleaner than Kaeko left it, and I packed away all of my stuff too.’

‘Thank you. You’re a great help.’

‘Hey. It is the least I can do for keeping my cover and giving me a place to stay.’

Rei and Daring hoofbump before the younger mare leads Silver Spoon to the back and upstairs.

‘I know we went over it the other day,’ Rei begins, ‘but as a reminder, the door to the shop will be locked while you are visiting. I will have the only key since I’ll have to go to and from work. As long as somepony is working out front, the back door will be open in case you need to get something.’

They reach the apartment. There is a kitchen and dining area, a living room, a washroom and two bedrooms. A study is locked tight. Rei goes around the apartment. Silver Spoon remains standing in the doorway.

‘Daring’s study is off-limits. She has the only key. You and I will take one room. Midnight has the other. Watch out. I’m a cuddler.’

Rei giggles at her last statement. Silver Spoon looks around and adjusts her glasses. She warily raises a hoof and steps in.

Rei smiles as wide as she can. ‘Welcome home, Spoon-chan!’

Silver Spoon blushes. ‘Th-thank you.’

‘Want me to get you a snack before I go back downstairs to work?’

‘Sure... What do you have?’

Rei hops over to the kitchen. She opens the refrigerator. ‘We have all of your favorites. We have your favorite fruits and juices.’ She goes to the cupboard. ‘We have your favorite crisps and biscuits. And I got all the ingredients to make your favorite dishes. My daddy even helped me get that type of soda you like but they don’t make any more.’

Silver Spoon stares in shock. She goes to the kitchen and looks at her options. She stares up at Rei with her mouth gaping a bit.

‘Everything okay?’ Rei asks.

Silver Spoon gives Rei a hug. ‘Nothing is wrong. Thank you.’

Rei pats the filly on the head. ‘Feel free to help yourself to anything. I’ll be working until the evening, but I’ll be right downstairs if you need anything.

Image fumbles with the keys to Inkie’s apartment. Sunshine Drops gives an annoyed sigh as she waits. Finally, the door opens and the group enters the apartment. Sunshine gasps at how barren the home is.

‘Sorry there isn’t much,’ Image apologizes, ‘but this is all Inkie can really afford. She has to save between growing seasons when her skills aren’t in demand.’

‘This is worse than a hotel room,’ the shocked pegasus complains.

‘She may not have many furnishings, but the apartment is still well-equipped. There is a good kitchen, a nice washroom and she has a lab downstairs. Well, we can’t use it since she locked it, but it is not a bad apartment.’

‘Do you think sthee will let me sthee the lab if I athk?’ Twist asks.

Image shrugs. ‘Probably, if she is not busy.’

‘And where are we sleeping?’ Sunshine scoffs. ‘Do I have to fly out and bring down a cloud?’

‘Actually, you and Twist can have Inkie’s bed. I’ll stay out here.’

Sunshine is surprised. ‘Oh, uh, that’s... Thank you.’

‘Um, yeah. Can I get your share of the food money? I don’t know what Inkie left us, but I also want to have dinner.’

‘Oh, right.’

Sunshine and Twist set their bags of bits on the floor. Image picks them up and heads to the door.

‘Back in a bit.’

Image leaves Sunshine and Twist to themselves. Twist looks around then finds a spot to start her homework. Sunshine sighs and sits by the filly.

‘Need any help with that?’

After work, Stormy shows his guests around Trixie’s apartment.

‘So, that is about it,’ Stormy sighs. ‘Trixie just doesn’t want everypony going through her stuff, but she will allow me to give you souvenirs if you behave.’

‘Sweet. Can I get a hat?’ Scootaloo asks.


‘Super sweet!’

The young stallion rolls his eyes and goes to the kitchen. ‘Anyway, I’m famished. Mind if start I dinner?’

‘Oh! Let me take care of that for you,’ Jade says, pushing her way into the kitchen and against her partner. ‘I am sure you’ll love my cooking.’

‘We are in my fillyfriend’s apartment.’

‘Don’t worry. I’ll find where everything is and put it where it goes.’

‘Fine. Whatever.’ Stormy maneuvers around the amorous filly. ‘Just lay off the cheesy lines from Harpflank. Gonna have to tell her to write better material when I see her tomorrow, right kid?’

Scootaloo nods. She is blushing and her wings are sticking up after witnessing the display before her. The young stallion sighs and finds a spot in the living room.

Rei yawns towards the end of her shift. Both she and Daring laugh to themselves as they hear Silver Spoon trotting around upstairs, neither of them used to somepony in the apartment during business hours. The shop door opens and Midnight trots in.

‘There you are,’ the colt comments.

‘Uh, yeah...’ Rei replies. ‘Can I help you? I am still working.’

‘This late? Shouldn’t you have started dinner?’

‘Well, I was thinking you would have done that since you get off work a hour before me. We went over this.’

‘Sorry. I was out with my friends.’

‘And I am working. I know this is just the first day, but you can try helping a little.’

‘Fine! I guess I can get something started.’ Midnight starts rounding the counter. ‘Which way...?’

‘Back out the door and around the building. The back rooms are off-limits to you and Silver Spoon.’

‘Geez! You have to make everything so damn complicated.’

‘We went over all of this already. Now stop making a scene. I would hate to have to ban you from my shop on your first visit.’

‘Oh, right. Because the Daring Do coplayer would get really upset.’ He turns towards Daring. ‘Nice try. I’ve seen the pictures. You got the mane all wrong.’

‘Get out of my store!’ Rei snaps.

‘Tisk, tisk. Yelling at your husband on the first day. Setting a great example for the little one.’

Midnight laughs and exits the store. Rei growls. The tips of her wings show a hint of black. She focuses to get her rage under control. Daring goes to her friend.

‘Too late to get another partner?’

‘I will not electrocute him in his sleep... I will not electrocute him in his sleep...’ Rei mutters.

‘I guess not.’ Daring pats Rei on the back. ‘Don’t worry. Hopefully, most of the time will be with the kid. She has a pretty good head on her shoulders.’

Rei does not respond.

‘Rei?’

‘Sorry. I was just thinking. I really don’t want to fight in front of her, but Midnight really seems to be out to push my buttons. Like he doesn’t care about Silver Spoon at all.’

‘You’ve only really gotten to know her, what? A couple days before this assignment?’

‘She comes in time to time for aloe drink. She says we have the best.’

‘Right. So you don’t really know her yet, but you care this much. I am sure that will keep you from doing anything stupid in front of her.’

Rei smiles. ‘Thank you, Daring-neesama.’

Daring laughs. ‘Anytime, kid.’ She looks up. ‘I still only hear one pony up there. Take off early. I am sure your dad wouldn’t mind me being late.’ She smirks. ‘Just as long as he isn’t early.’

Rei blushes and giggles. She leans over to her friend and whispers. Daring’s wings instantly stick out.

‘Do they know you listen in?’

Rei nods. ‘I think so.’

‘Geez. And here I thought his walls are soundproofed.’ Daring shrugs. ‘Oh, well. Del and Inkie know my MO. They won’t be surprised at all.’

‘Good luck, Daring-neesama,’ Rei giggles as she heads out the back.

The young mare trots up the stairs to the apartment. Silver Spoon has the television on while she does homework. Midnight is nowhere to be seen. Rei swears as she gets out her mobile.

Silver Spoon looks up. ‘What are you doing?’

‘Midnight should have been here making dinner by now. I am finding where he... Shimata... Why is his mobile pinging from across town?’

Rei angrily types out a text and goes to the kitchen. She takes a calming breath. Silver Spoon sighs and frowns as she goes back to her work.

‘So, what do you want me to make?’ Rei says with a smile. ‘I have been practicing all of your favorite dishes, so I hope I can make them the way you like them.’ Rei’s mobile buzzes. She glares at the message. ‘Besides, your fake father won’t be joining us.’

‘Whatever is fine,’ Silver Spoon sighs.

‘Oh, no. You have to pick something magical and special. You are the one calling the shots as long as you are with me.’

Silver Spoon smiles. ‘You sound like my dad...’ She looks up. ‘How about fettuccini alfredo?’

‘That might take a bit of time.’

‘Then that will just give us that much more time together, won’t it?’

Rei smiles and gets to work on the dish.

The next day at lunch, Rei breaks from her friends and flies around the cafeteria. She lands behind Midnight and taps him on the back. The colt turns to face the upset pegasus.

‘Yeah?’

‘Where were you last night? You never came back after I asked you to get dinner started.’

‘I told you. I was out with friends. What’s the big deal?’

‘You were the one who came in my store and demanded food. We went over what we were supposed to do for this assignment and agreed on what our roles were going to be.’

‘I agreed to take care of what I needed to take care of. You can play mommy all you want as long as I get a good grade in the end.’

‘You will help out. You have to do something or else Silver Spoon won’t give you a good report in the end.’

‘Geez. Whatever. Get off my back. You’re starting to sound like a real wife. Maybe once you are my age, you will learn to relax a little.’

Rei snarls and stomps away. Midnight and his friends laugh at the angry pegasus. Rei looks for her friends. She finds Image and Sunshine eating together and joins them.

‘Sorry if I am not in a good mood. Midnight is not agreeing to our plans,’ Rei grumbles.

‘Oh, he’s a real jerk,’ Sunshine replies. ‘He used to use his magic to mess with fillies’ manes when we were in grade school. Oh! And thank you so much for asking your fillyfriend to loan us her apartment. I’ll definitely make it up to the two of you.’

‘Yeah. Inkie is a sweety. Why are you two together? Where’s Stormy?’

‘I thought I was too harsh on Image so I’m trying to get to know him better,’ Sunshine replies.

‘As for Stormy...’ Image begins.

The young stallion looks around the cafeteria and finds his friend. Stormy is slowly making his way to the group with Jade following him everywhere he goes.

‘It appears she is staying exactly three steps behind him.’

Rei giggles.

Image looks at his friend. ‘That is a Neighponese thing, right?’

‘I taught her that to mess with him.’

Sunshine giggles. ‘You are a fun one. I am sure everything will work out. If not, then the filly you are with will likely give you the glowing report you deserve.’

Rei sighs. ‘I hope you’re right.’

Rei sings along with the new Full Moon album playing over the speakers. Daring trots over to her friend.

‘This is really catchy. What is the title of this song?’

Rei holds up the CD case. ‘Treasure Hunter (Not a Heart Stealer).’

Daring stares at the CD. ‘Think I can sue for royalties?’

The pegasi laugh at the joke. The shop door opens, and Image enters with Twist.

‘Hey, guys!’ Daring greets. ‘How can we help you?’

‘Yeah, uh, I was wanting to show Twist some comic drawing techniques,’ Image replies. ‘Do you have a fresh stock of the pens I like?’

‘Right this way.’

Daring leads Image away, but Rei stops them.

‘Hey, do you think Silver Spoon would want to join you?’ Rei asks. ‘She’s been kinda bored, and Diamond hasn’t made any plans with her.’

‘Sounds fun. Twist, go and ask.’

‘Right around the back of the building,’ Rei directs.

Twist nods and gallops away. She heads around the building and through the back entrance.

‘Hello?’ Twist calls as she knocks on the apartment door.

The door creaks open, and the filly enters. There is nopony else visible, but she can hear talking coming from a bedroom.

‘I am really excited for this weekend,’ Silver Spoon’s voice says. ‘I am sure it will be fine with my assignment. … And I am certain Miss Rei will love meeting you. She loves everypony. … Anyway, I have to go. I think somepony just came in. … I love you too, dad.’ Silver Spoon comes out of the bedroom. ‘Yes?’

‘Thorry to interrupt,’ Twist apologizes. ‘Mithter Image wath going to sthow me how to make comicth, and we want to know ith you want to join uth.’

‘That would be lovely. Thanks for asking.’

‘Who were you talking to?’

‘Oh, uh, it was my dad. We’re supposed to meet up this weekend. I am really looking forward to it.’

‘That’th thuper! I hope you have fun.’

Silver Spoon smiles. ‘We usually do.’

The two fillies exit the apartment to find Image.

Scootaloo watches Jade cooking dinner. The unicorn seems in her element as she uses her magic to prepare several dishes at once.

‘That is so cool,’ the young pegasus gapes.

‘Thanks! I hope to take over my parents’ restaurant.’

‘Well, you’re good enough.’ Scootaloo sits back and looks at the young mare. ‘Hey, Jade, what is up with your mane? It looks shinier than most ponies.’

The unicorn laughs. ‘You know how the Crystal Empire returned recently?’ She gets a nod in return. ‘Well, not every crystal pony was trapped by the curse. Somewhere down the line I have an ancestor who is a crystal pony. When Miss Sparkle and the rest restored the Crystal Empire, my mane and tail started sparkling. It think it is pretty awesome.’

‘Really cute, too. Wish I could have that.’

Jade giggles. ‘You have a colt or filly you are trying to impress?’

‘Shut up! It is not like that!’

‘Diamond Tiara or Apple Bloom?’ Stormy asks as he trots past.

‘SHUT UP!’

‘Welcome home, dear,’ Jade coos.

‘Hey. Sorry I’m late. Rarity needed help with a client.’

‘It is all good as long as you’re here.’

‘Uh huh. Need help with anything?’

‘I’m fine, but maybe Scootaloo will want some mane styling tips from the expert.’

Stormy rolls his eyes. ‘When I find one, I’ll let you know.’ He looks at Scootaloo. ‘Homework done?’

‘Sure. I guess,’ the filly replies.

‘Okay.’ Stormy uses his magic to turn off the television. ‘Then no TV until it is.’

‘That’s not fair!’

‘I have music and my own homework, so I am set for the night. If you need help, just ask.’

Stormy gets out his assignments and sets them on the table. Scootaloo grumbles and goes back to work herself.

Rei and Silver Spoon watch television and eat the filly’s favorite brownie ice cream after dinner. Silver Spoon sighs as she slowly eats her dessert. Midnight is not in the apartment.

Rei looks down at the filly. ‘If you wanted ice cream soup, I could have heated that up for you.’

‘What? Oh! It’s fine. Really.’

Rei frowns and puts a wing around Silver Spoon. ‘Forget about him. If he doesn’t want to have fun with us, then it is his loss.’

‘That is not it. Really... It is fine...’

Rei sets down her ice cream and gives the filly a full hug. ‘Do you want to talk about it?’

Silver Spoon gives a long sigh. ‘When I was a much younger foal, before I even started school, my mom kicked my dad out. She is a lawyer so she got everything she wanted, including me. It isn’t that bad. I get everything I want, but I only get to see my dad once a month since he moved to Trottingham.’

‘I’m sorry. And because big, mean stupid head isn’t here...’

‘It is fine... I am used having only one parent around.’ Silver Spoon smiles slightly. ‘Besides, my dad is coming this weekend. He promised me we’d have fun.’

Rei gasps and hugs tighter. ‘I get to meet Spoon-chan’s dad!’

Silver Spoon laughs. ‘I knew you would be excited.’

‘So, what are you going to do? Do you know yet?’

‘He hasn’t told me. He said it will be great, though.’

Silver Spoon tries pushing free. ‘It won’t be for a couple more days. It is no big deal. Really.’

‘Of course it is a big deal. If it is important to you, then it is a big deal.’

‘Th-thank you, Rei.’

‘Now with the good news out of the way,’ -- Rei picks up her ice cream again -- ‘did you finish your homework?’

‘Twist and I got stuck on a couple problems. Can you help me?’

‘Always! Anything for you. Finish up your ice cream, and we’ll get right to it.’

Rei licks up a puddle of melted ice cream from her bowl, getting a brown stain on her muzzle. Silver Spoon laughs and eats a big spoonful of ice cream.

James groans and tries sitting up in bed. He is stopped by a yellow-brown mass.

‘Daring...’ the stallion moans. ‘One, you have to stay in your room. Two, we have to get to work.’

Daring mumbles, ‘...to work.’ in her sleep and reaches under the covers.

James bolts upright, dumping the sleeping pegasus to the floor. ‘Not like that!’

Lunchtime at the Ponyville Schoolhouse is always busy. The foals run around the yard, play games and generally cause trouble. Cheerilee gets a workout trying to keep up with them. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon calmly eat their lunch together while watching the others. Diamond Tiara laughs as Scootaloo chases her friends. The young pegasus is wearing a starry hat and cape.

‘Get back here or face the wrath of The Great and Powerful Scootaloo!’

The other Cutie Mark Crusaders laugh as they gallop from their friend.

Diamond Tiara laughs one last time before turning to her friend. ‘So, did you hear there is going to be a special showing of the weird musical you like? Allegro or something like that.’

Silver Spoon gasps. ‘They are going to be performing Allegrezza here!’

‘I guess so. Whatever. I thought you would know that sort of thing.’

‘Oh! My! Celestia! I have to get tickets!’

Diamond Tiara snorts. ‘Good luck. You would have to be my dad or somepony important. They are sold out.’

Silver Spoon grabs her friends. ‘Diamond Tiara! I have the biggest favor of your life to ask you!’

‘Sheesh. Calm down. I’ll ask my dad when I get home.

‘Thank you so much!’

Silver Spoon gives her friend a big hug. Diamond Tiara groans. There is a loud thump on the table. A large shadow falls over the two fillies.

‘The Great and Powerful Scootaloo demands you get a room.’

Diamond Tiara glances at how Scootaloo is standing and gives her friend a slight push. Scootaloo stumbles back, trips on her cape, pirouettes and crashes onto her assailant, knocking her free from the hug. Apple Bloom picks up the fallen hat and flips over the cape covering the two fillies.

‘The Great and Powerful Apple Bloom says y’all are the ones in need o’ the room now.’

After school, Stormy and Midnight wait outside of the schoolhouse for their assigned partners. Both unicorns are trying not to acknowledge the presence of the other.

‘Looks like Rei finally forced you to be a decent pony,’ Stormy snorts.

‘Whatever,’ Midnight groans. ‘It is my day off, and this counts as credit.’

‘Do you even know the name of the foal you are supposed to be helping?’

‘Silver Spoon. Geez. With the way the spaz has been taking care of her, a perfect grade should be in the bag.’

‘That “spaz” is my best friend. And if you had half the parenting instinct she does, you would see her as more than a grade.’

‘I have more instinct than she does since I actually have parents. I’m not adopted by some weirdo.’

‘That “weirdo” is one of my mentors. You should show him a little respect.’

‘Whatever. He probably touches her. I know I would. She might be annoying as hell, but she can be hot.’

Stormy takes a very deep breath and releases it. ‘If I weren’t a gentleman, all that would be left of you right now is four smouldering spots where your hooves once stood.’

‘What? Are you saying you don’t want to tap that? Thought you had the hots for her or something.’

‘I did at one time, but that was before I met my fillyfriend.’

‘Oh, yeah... The hot magician. I’d hit that too.’

Stormy growls, ‘If you say one more thing about Trixie...’

Midnight laughs. ‘Trixie likes to su...’

The rude unicorn is lifted into the air and dropped back down. Stormy stands over his prone target and slaps Midnight’s horn to prevent him from charging a spell.

‘That is enough out of you,’ Stormy hisses. You are a rude and disgusting creature. If Miss Goodheart had any sense she would drop you from the class before you could do any more harm to your partners, especially Silver Spoon. You are supposed to be setting a good example for her and you are coming off as nothing more than a real flankhole. Get your act together before your world comes crashing down, and you are left as just the pathetic shell of a pony you are.’

‘Pfft. At least my mom is alive.’

Stormy’s rage bursts. His horn glows with a dark energy. His eyes glow green as the negative energy flows through him. Before he can act, the school bell rings. The students gallop to freedom. Stormy gets his rage under control and steps back.

‘You are lucky I didn’t have a chance to finish you,’ the furious unicorn growls.

‘You wanted to finish me? Pervert.’

Stormy steps on Midnight’s hoof as he trots away to find Scootaloo. The young pegasus gallops up and jumps on her friend’s back.

‘Hey, Stormy!’

‘Scoots,’ Stormy greets. ‘Got something fun for us to do today. Lemon sent me some of her recipes. How about we make some ice cream back at Trixie’s place?’

‘Sounds gr... AWESOME!’

Stormy laughs and trots away with his passenger. ‘We’ll have to make extra to share with your friends. Don’t want Sweetie being too jealous.’

Midnight grumbles and stands. After dusting himself off, he looks around to find Silver Spoon watching him from a distance.

‘Well!’ the unicorn shouts.

Silver Spoon flinches. She gallops to catch up with Midnight as he hurries away. Diamond Tiara glares at the rude stallion as she heads home. Silver Spoon catches up to Midnight. He glances down at her.

‘Got everything you need for tonight?’ the unicorn asks.

‘Y...’

‘Good.’ Midnight snorts the looks back down. ‘Hey, you’re rich, right? Can you give me twenty bits? I want to get a new game.’

‘I-I don’t take money with me to school.’

‘Geez! Fine. When we get you back to the apartment, you go inside and get me twenty bits, okay?’

‘N-no! That is my money for emergencies.’

‘Well, I need a new game. It is an emergency.’

‘Please stop talking to me like this.’

Midnight stops and looms over the smaller filly. ‘Listen, kid. The world ain’t nice. This is how adults talk to each other. You’re going to grow up to be a sugar mama to some stud, so get used to giving out money for favors.’

Silver Spoon stares up at Midnight. Tears start forming in her eyes.

‘Oh, geez. You’re going to pretend to cry just to get your way. Fine! Keep your money. When you get older, you’ll know what the score is!’

Midnight storms away. Silver Spoon tries to take a moment to collect herself.

‘Come on!’

Silver Spoon yelps and hurries to catch up.

Rei restocks a shelf with stone bowls imported from Equina. The back door is heard slamming followed by clopping on the stairs. A loud sob is heard through the floor. Rei calmly sets down the bowl she is handling and trots to the front door. Daring stops her.

‘Daring, move. I am going to kill him.’

‘Rei, think about it. Do you really want to hurt another pony?’

Electricity sparks between Rei’s flared wings. Her eyes flash for a second, her mane appearing ethereal for the same instant.

‘Hurting is the least of the outcomes that impudent foal has to worry about!’

Daring puts her life in her hooves and slaps Rei. Instantly, all the energy surrounding the pegasus is dispersed. Rei blinks as she regains her senses. She looks up towards the apartment and takes off for the back, knocking over the monitor attached to the cash register and scattering a display of candy all over the floor. Daring takes a moment to catch her breath and check her pulse.

‘I really have to stop attempting suicide around that family. One day, it will get me.’ She pats the ground. ‘I’ll get the mop.’

‘I can take care of him,’ Rei says as she holds Silver Spoon. ‘Make it look like a heart attack or a freak plasma storm.’

‘N-no. What he said was just unnerving. I-I am feeling better now.’

‘Want to go back home and see your mommy?’

Silver Spoon shakes her head. ‘N-no. I am fine. Here was closer after we split. I think I’ll call her, though. You can go back to work.’

Rei shakes her head. ‘Not until I am certain Silver Spoon is okay.’

‘Thanks... I wish you were my mom instead. Or at least a sister or something.’

‘Your mommy cares about you. She lets you have fun friends and do weird projects like this. She even lets you see your daddy when he gets the chance. I’m just somepony that gets to pretend to be a mommy for a week, so of course all I want to do is the fun stuff. I’ll talk with Midnight tomorrow. Get his side of things and see if he’ll apologize. Either way, I’ll have to tell our teacher about this too. I might be a bit late picking you up after school.’

‘That’s fine. I can do something with Diamond Tiara while I wait.’

Since I am here, what do you want for dinner? If we don’t eat all of the ice cream, I am sure Del will.’

Silver Spoon laughs. ‘In that case, let’s invite her over.’

‘Okay,’ Rei giggles. ‘I’ll go talk to my daddy while you talk to your mommy.’

Rei give Silver Spoon one last hug before leaving to see her dad.

‘It will all be all right,’ James assures as he holds Rei. ‘Being a parent is hard, and you can’t always be there when times are tough. I think this assignment is teaching that lesson to you more than to your peers.’

Rei moans and buries her muzzle in her father’s chest. ‘I just don’t want her to be sad anymore, but I don’t know if what I am doing is right.’

‘Neither do I most of the time. You just have to keep trying and doing what you think is right and hope it all works out.’

Rei whines and hugs tighter. ‘Don’t tell Inkie this is one of the worries I have and why we are only pre-pre-pre-pre-engaged.’

‘Oh, I think she might know already,’ James laughs.

A grey hoof pets Rei’s back. Inkie is sitting on the couch next to the father and his daughter. Rei smiles at her fillyfriend.

‘You weren’t supposed to hear that,’ Rei says.

‘It is okay. You take all the time you need,’ Inkie replies. She giggles. ‘If it makes you feel better, I’d be worried about foals like me or Pinkie. We used to cause a lot of trouble on the farm together.’

Del trots past to her room. She is drinking a juice box that is impaled on her fangs.

‘And then there is Del...’ James groans.

The next day. Silver Spoon mopes at her desk during recess. She is still a little upset, especially since she could not contact her mother last night. Diamond Tiara sits beside her friend and snorts.

‘I tried asking my dad to fire the bastard, but he said I couldn’t do that since being a total flankhole doesn’t affect his job performance,’ the pink filly grumbles.

‘You don’t have to do that,’ Silver Spoon sighs. ‘I don’t want him blaming me for that.’

‘At the very least, my dad is going to watch him more closely. He’ll shape up if he thinks his job is on the line.’

‘We only have a couple more days left. No need to worry.’

‘Very well.’ Diamond Tiara leans back in her seat. ‘Anyway, getting tickets might be harder than I thought. My dad said he would have to pull a lot of favors to get them. Sorry about that.’

‘It is okay. Besides, it was going to be the day my dad was going to be here. I’d much rather see him than go to a play.’

‘Hmpf. Well, can I at least be sorry for something? I am trying to be a good friend here.’

Silver Spoon laughs. ‘You’re doing great, Diamond Tiara.’ Her mobile starts ringing. ‘Sorry. Give me a moment.’

Diamond Tiara nods and turns away. Silver Spoon gets out her mobile and answers as covertly as possible.

‘Hello? Mom! I have been trying to... What? … Oh... But...’

Silver Spoon frowns as she listens to what her mother has to say. Diamond Tiara looks over and sees the tears starting to form in her friend’s eyes.

Rei trots up to the schoolhouse. She is later than she hoped because she had to scold Stormy for being violent towards Midnight, something the scolded took in stride and the other unicorn was shocked to see. The tired pegasus looks around the yard before popping into the building.

‘Did Silver Spoon leave already?’ Rei asks.

Cheerilee takes a break from cleaning. ‘I think so. I haven’t seen her since class got out.’

Rei moans and continues her search. She eventually finds Diamond Tiara standing beside a play fort.

‘She’s inside,’ the pink filly reports. ‘She has been in there since school got out. I... don’t know what happened, but I think it had to do with her dad’s visit. That’s all I know.’

‘Thanks.’

For once, Rei is thankful for her small size as she squeezes into the fort to confront a sobbing Silver Spoon. The grey filly turns and immediately hugs Rei as tight as she can.

‘He’s not coming, Rei! He’s not coming! Mom won’t let him come! It is all my fault! He is not coming because of me!’

‘Shh. What happened? Maybe I can help.’

‘You can’t... It is all over. Mom said the because I wanted to do this project she is counting it as my time with my dad for the month. She even forced him to agree to her terms too. It is my fault he can’t come. I wanted to do this, and now he can’t come.’

Rei comforts the sobbing filly. ‘Don’t worry. Rei is a smarty. I’ll figure something out. Let’s get you back to the apartment.’ The young mare forces herself out of her trap. ‘Hey, if it makes you feel better, Midnight and Stormy are going to apologize for upsetting you yesterday.

‘I guess so...’

Rei frowns. ‘You want to know what cheers me up when I am saddy?’

Silver Spoon looks up at Rei. ‘What?’

Rei grins. She looks at Diamond Tiara, who responds with a raised eyebrow. The pegasus quickly tosses Silver Spoon onto her back and shoots into the sky. Silver Spoon screams and holds on for the ride of her life. Diamond Tiara stares as the two ponies disappear into the sky.

‘I am totally jealous right now,’ the pink filly gapes.

Back at the apartment, Rei is on her mobile. Silver Spoon is in the washroom trying to fix her mane after the high-velocity flight. The exhilarating first flight followed by an apology from Midnight and Stormy has calmed Silver Spoon enough. Rei paces as she waits for the other party to pick up.

`Hello?` a stallion answers.

‘Hi! Are you Silver Spoon’s daddy?’ Rei asks.

`Uh, yeah? Who is this?`

‘I am Tsukiyo Rei. I have been taking care of your daughter for the past week as part of a school assignment.’

`Oh, right. She told me about that. Is everything okay?`

‘Far from it. I heard you are not coming this weekend.’

There is a long pause. `Yes. Her mother says that she had to give up too much time with our daughter for your project already...`

‘I am really sorry about all the trouble I caused. I just want Silver Spoon to be happy. If you can tell me what you were planning to do with her, maybe I can make it up to her.’

`You really care about a stranger’s kid that much? This isn’t some act for your assignment?`

‘No act, sir. I really want to make your daughter happy.’

There is another pause. `I got her tickets to a play she loves. I had to buy them quickly since it is very popular. The will-call should be under her name too. Wanted her to feel extra special.`

‘Thank you, sir. Now how do I make it up to you?’

`Excuse me?`

‘You got time with your daughter taken away from you. How do I make that up?’

`Geez. I don’t know. You’d have to talk with her mother and see I can get time with her again. But you would have an easier time negotiating with one of the princesses than that.`

Rei giggles. ‘Oh, I think I can handle that. My friend Trixie will be in Trottingham next week. I’ll try to arrange backstage passes to her show.’

`Wait. You know...`

‘Oh! I have the perfect thing for you next month. My shop is arranging a special show. I’ll definitely get you passes for that once the dates are finalized.’

`Um, Miss Rei, what are you...?`

‘Don’t worry, Mr Silver Spoon’s Dad, Auntie Rei-chan has everything under her wing.’

Rei hangs up her mobile and prances through the apartment to find Silver Spoon trying to scrub the bug stains from her glasses. Rei giggles.

‘If you think it is so funny, you clean them,’ the filly grumbles.

‘We have some glass cleaner that should do the job,’ Rei giggles.

The pegasus takes the glasses and goes to the kitchen. Silver Spoon cautiously follows since she cannot see.

‘Guess what Rei-chan just did for you?’

‘If it is cleaned my glasses, that would be enough. You’ve already done plenty.’

‘Better,’ Rei says as she plops the glasses on Silver Spoon’s nose. ‘I have arranged for Spoon-chan to be the happiest pony. I just have one last thing to do tomorrow, and it will be all set.’

‘Why do I get a bad feeling about that?’ Silver Spoon sighs as she fixes her glasses.

‘Don’t worry a bit. Oh, we will still have the meeting with my teacher to discuss the project early. We had to move it for your daddy time, so I don’t think she’ll want us changing it at the last minute.’

‘That’s fine.’

‘And Midnight will have to meet you after school again if what I have to do takes too long, but it shouldn’t,’ Rei adds as she trots into the washroom.

Silver Spoon sighs. ‘That’s fine...’

‘Don’t worry! Everything will work out, and you will be the happiest.’ Rei returns with a brush in her mouth. ‘Now! Let’s fix your braids. I always wanted to try braiding my mane.’

Silver Spoon squeaks in fear as the brush hits her mane.

Silver Spoon wanders Ponyville High School looking for the health teacher’s classroom. Neither Rei nor Midnight met her after school, and she is on her own. Another teacher gave her directions and she thinks she is nearing the right room. The filly peeks in to see Midnight and Miss Goodheart at her desk.

‘Well, Mr Midnight, I guess we’ll have to reschedule.’

Midnight snorts. ‘I think I gave all you needed to hear. They were mean and abusive to me the whole time. Rei was constantly fighting with me, and Silver Spoon didn’t want me around. Heck, I was kicked out of the place they got. I did my best. I really did.’ He shakes his head. ‘I tried telling you that she was a bad partner for me.’

‘I’ll take that into consid...’

‘That’s a lie!’ Silver Spoon shouts.

The two older ponies stop and look towards the door. Midnight starts sweating when he sees Silver Spoon.

‘Miss Silver Spoon, I presume,’ Miss Goodheart greets. ‘Nice of you to finally join us.’

‘I would have been here sooner, but he was supposed to meet me after school.’

‘Oh?’

‘And he only met me one other time. And he got into a fight with Mr Stormy then yelled at me and tried extorting money from me!’

‘Is that so?’

‘I-it is a lie,’ Midnight stammers. ‘She-she is just making things up.’

‘Shut up!’ Silver Spoon shouts. ‘You never came to the apartment once. You never helped Rei with anything. She is the one trying to help with my family problems and actually trying to get to know me. It was only the two of us the whole time!’

‘Do you know where she is?’ Miss Goodheart asks.

‘Well, uh, no, but she said she was going to be here. She was going to be doing something for me today...’

‘Probably got arrested,’ Midnight gumbles.

‘That’s not true!’ Silver Spoon screams. ‘Rei is a good pony! A lot better than you! My mom might not let me see my dad this weekend, but I rather not see my real dad than spend another minute with a fake one!’

‘Miss Spoon, please calm down,’ Miss Goodheart asks.

Silver Spoon glares angrily at the two older ponies then gallops out of the room.

‘Geez. What a little nutcase,’ Midnight groans.

Miss Goodheart clears her throat. ‘Mr Midnight, when did you stop thinking you were being graded?’ The colt slowly turns to face his fuming teacher. ‘If you want to have some chance of getting any points in my class, let alone staying in this school, you would be wise to grow some parenting instincts right now.’

Midnight panics and gallops out of the room. Miss Goodheart sighs and gets out a list of parental contact information. Before she can make her first call, there is a knock on her door. Rei leads her father into the room.

‘Sorry we’re late,’ James apologizes. ‘I had to help Rei out of a spot of trouble.’

‘I got arrested...’ Rei moans.

Miss Goodheart takes a deep breath. ‘I am betting there is a good story behind why.’

‘Well, um, you see, Silver Spoon’s daddy was supposed to visit this weekend,’ Rei begins. ‘That is why we asked for this meeting early. But yesterday, her mommy said her daddy couldn’t come and that made Silver Spoon really sad. I was able to talk with her dad, but I wanted to arrange with her mom another chance for Silver Spoon to see her dad. She really loves him.’ She takes a breath. ‘Anyway, I went to see Silver Spoon’s mom this morning, but she wouldn’t talk to me. I tried just telling her Silver Spoon’s side of things, but I kept getting yelled at. When I finally gave up, she had called the police on me. I went with them and explained my side of the story. They believed me and asked Silver Spoon’s mom to hear me out. It was tough, but I was able to convince her to let Silver Spoon see her dad again. After that, I was just waiting at the station for my daddy to pick me up. It was all standard procedure.’

Miss Goodheart stares in shock. ‘That is... quite the tale.’

‘We’re really sorry for the trouble we caused,’ James apologizes again.

Both father and daughter bow to the teacher.

‘Is Silver Spoon still here?’ Rei asks.

‘You just missed her. Midnight is out looking for her.’

Rei growls and gallops out of the room.

‘My feelings exactly,’ Miss Goodheart agrees.

‘Also, I am really sorry Rei got a perfect score on... that exam,’ James adds. ‘She knows pony anatomy a little too well.’

‘Right. My cousin tried to warn me about that. Her anatomical sketches were... Yeah...’

‘Um, I don’t know if you accept outside opinions, but Rei has been over to see me almost every night since this assignment began. She is extremely terrified that she is not doing a good job.’

Miss Goodheart leans back in her chair and thinks. A smile creeps across her lips. ‘Rei is going to make an excellent mother one day.’

‘She will be glad to hear that.’

‘Celestia help us if she ever becomes one.’

James laughs then chases after his daughter.

Rei trots into Daring’s apartment. She has to step over Midnight’s unconscious body. His face has an impression that somehow matches Flitter’s hoofprint. The other two pegasi discreetly move the unicorn while Rei looks for Silver Spoon. She finds the filly in the bedroom crying. Rei lays down and puts a wing over the upset filly.

‘Sorry I wasn’t there earlier,’ Rei apologizes. ‘I was out getting gifts for the lovely Silver Spoon.’

‘I don’t care. I just want you here... You’re the only one who is being nice and listening to me.’

‘Then you didn’t get my first gift yet.’

‘What?’

‘Did you talk with your mommy today?’

‘I...’

Silver Spoon gets out her mobile. She has a message waiting for her. The filly groans and plays it back. Her eyes slowly water up until she tackles Rei in a hug.

‘Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!’

‘Anything for Spoon-chan.’ Rei breaks the hug and stands up. ‘Want to see the other gift?’

Silver Spoon smiles and nods. Rei sets a small box in front of the filly. She opens it and pulls out a pair of racing goggles. Silver Spoon holds the goggles and looks up at the young mare. Rei smirks and spreads her wings. The filly pulls on the goggles and jumps on the pegasus’ back. Rei gallops out of the apartment and takes to the skies.

A couple days later. The assignment is over, and the teenagers escort their younger partners home. All of them dread the possible results of the assignment. Image and Sunshine trot away together from Twist’s home, each with a bag of freshly made candy from the young filly.

‘This assignment wasn’t really that bad,’ Image comments. ‘Sure, I think I messed some stuff up, but we all had fun, right?’

‘It was quite fun,’ Sunshine agrees. ‘And, uh, I’m sorry.’

‘What for?’

‘I thought you were some weird geek, but I was wrong. you are not weird.’

‘I think that was a compliment.’

‘Also, I know you just broke up with Moon Glow but if you ever want to go out sometime, call me.’

Image stammers as he tries to think of an appropriate reply. Sunshine giggles and flies away.

Stormy waves to Scootaloo after dropping her off at her home. Scootaloo’s mom gives her daughter a big hug, welcoming her back.

‘Do you want a snack or something?’ Scootaloo’s mom offers as she lets go. ‘I was thinking we could go out later.’

‘Sure. I’ll have whatever,’ Scootaloo replies. She hops on the couch and turns on the television. A second later, she stands up and looks under her. ‘Why is the couch all sticky?’ She notices something on a nearby table. ‘What are my magazines doing there!’

Scootaloo’s mom blushes and she looks around while thinking of an excuse. ‘Uh, well... What do you you mean “your magazines”, young lady?’

‘Mom...’

Scootaloo’s mom sighs and sits by her daughter. She puts a wing around Scootaloo and draws her in close, trapping the filly. ‘Scootaloo, I believe it is time we had a nice long talk about mares, our bodies and certain changes and feelings you might be experiencing.’

Scootaloo’s eyes go wide. She blanches and tries to escape.

Rei and Silver Spoon stand in line at the theater. Both ponies have their best dresses on. Rei takes the tickets from the counter, and they enter the theater. Silver Spoon proudly leads them to their seats. Rei looks around as the theater fills.

‘You’ll have fun,’ Silver Spoon says. ‘This is my favorite play.’

‘Does it have much singing? I don’t handle musicals too well.’

‘Rei, did you even see the title of the play?’

‘Well, maybe not every last syllable...’

Silver Spoon sighs. ‘Then, I guess you are in for a treat.’

The light dim, and the orchestra starts warming up. Rei looks around with a panicked expression. Silver Spoon giggles and settles in for the show.

Author's Note:

Story Event: A number of events in this chapter was for the setting up of future events, not just in TWP but in future stories. Everything from Silver Spoon's enjoyment of flying to Flitter KO-ing a certain jackass unicorn colt is considered fair game.

Fun Fact: If you are reading this and not Allegrezza, there is something wrong with your brain. Click the link and read it now! It is way better than this!

PreviousChapters Next