• Published 25th Feb 2012
  • 4,896 Views, 568 Comments

The Wandering Physicist Adventures - WanderingPhysicist



Scientist, nerd, mystery. Ponyville's newest resident has a lot of secrets to share with new friend

  • ...
19
 568
 4,896

PreviousChapters Next
RSI and the Confusing Mystery of the Enigmatic Conundrum

Main Characters: Rei, Stormy, Inkie
Cameos: TWP, Lucas, Earth Grainsborough, Twilight, Professor Hayton, Prince Ivory Towers, Vulpe d’Argento/Silver Fox
Original Write Date: 01/04/2012 (Game production started) - 02/18/2012 (Final compilation and edit of the canon path)


Twilight Sparkle is hard at work in the library. With book report season in full swing, the library has seen an overabundance of visitors. She is behind on her work and is finally catching up. As she finishes a stack of papers, she notices something sticking out behind her desk. A simple levitation spell brings in to view. It is a letter she thought she mailed days ago.

‘Ack!’ Twilight shouts. ‘Spike!’

After a pause, Twilight remembers that Spike is away on business in Canterlot. She growls and heads out of her office. When she reaches the entry hall, she notices another problem. Rei is sitting in the middle of the room with a large smile on her face.

Hi!’ Rei chirps.

‘What do you want?’ Twilight grumbles.

‘Is Inkie here?’

‘I think she is out taking soil samples for a project. Is that all? I have a bit of an emergency.’

‘Emergency!’ Rei springs up. ‘That sounds like the perfect mission for RSI Adventure Team!’

Twilight facehoofs. ‘Oh dear Celestia.’ She looks up at the beaming Rei. ‘Listen. It is just a letter I have to mail to a colleague in Hoofington.’

‘We can take it there!’

‘Or I can give it to Derpy and be assured that it will arrive, if a little late.’

‘Aww! You don't trust us?’

Twilight sighs. ‘I trust Stormy and Inkie. They are at least responsible.’

Rei slumps in front of the door. ‘Aww! Meanie.’

‘Listen, I have to leave now if I am going to get this to the post office before outgoing mail ends.’

‘Or you can give it to us, and we'll leave right away!’ Rei beams.

‘Rei!’ Twilight turns away. ‘No!’

Rei thinks for a moment. ‘You know there are other advantages to letting us take the letter.’

Twilight just rolls her eyes and groans.

‘Say for instance one or two of us lived with either you or Wanderer-san.’ Twilight's ears perk up. ‘Then we would be out of the town for an indeterminate amount of time. Who knows how long we could be gone and how much private smooching time could be had while we are away?’

Twilight rushes over to Rei and shoves the letter and a bag of bits into the filly's hooves.

‘Take as long as you need. There is no rush.’

Twilight lifts Rei with her magic and carries her out of the door.

‘Hurry! You have to get started on your adventure as soon as possible!’

Twilight gallops away to spread word of her good fortune. Rei sits where she was dumped and cackles to herself. She notices somepony watching her.

‘Hey Inkie!’ Rei grabs her friend in a hug. ‘You smell like vanilla lemon drops today!’

A quick mobile call has gathered all of the members of RSI Adventure Team out front of the train station. All three members have their packs loaded and ready for adventure. Stormy looks less than enthused.

‘Why are we doing this again?' Stormy asks.

‘Because it will be an adventure!' Rei cheer.

Zo~~!’ Inkie adds.

Stormy groans. ‘Right. Then why are we going to take obviously several days longer than needed if all Twilight had to do was drop the letter at the post office in five minutes or ask Derpy to slip the letter into her bag as a favor?’

‘Ah! Come on, Stormy! You're no fun!’ Rei pleads.

‘I try to be...’ Stomy sighs.

Rei gives Stormy the saddest face she can muster. Staring into her big, red eyes causes Stormy to break down and sigh a massive sigh.

‘Fine!’ Stormy relents.

‘Great!’ Rei cheers. She gives Stormy a quick peck on the cheek as thanks, causing the magenta unicorn to blush bright red. ‘Now, what is the best way to get to Hoofington?’

‘The family would always walk when we visit from our farm,’ Inkie suggests.

‘We are at the train station,’ Rei notes.

‘You could fly,’ Stormy suggests.

The trio thinks hard about the subject.

Rei, Stormy and Inkie are walking down the road from Ponyville to Hoofington.

A thought strikes Inkie. ‘Hey, if this were a DnD game, we'd have to roll for random encounters right now.’

‘What is DnD?’ Rei asks.

Both Inkie's and Stormy's jaws drop.

‘You with live the biggest nerd in the world and you don't know Dungeons and Dragons!’ Stormy yells.

‘Sheesh.’ Rei rolls her eyes. ‘We deal with real dragons all of the time. Forgive me for not caring about pretend ones.’

‘Um... Spike plays too...’ Inkie mumbles.

‘Ugh.’ Rei moans. ‘I'd rather face a real dragon. Seriously. I can take a kraken.’

Stormy and Inkie groan at yet another kraken reference from Rei. Rei growls at her friends’ reaction and plops to the ground.

‘What now?’ Stormy groans.

‘It is time for lunch.’ Rei huffs. ‘It is something I actually know about. Not like your stupid game or how to set up a proper picnic.’

Stormy groans and takes the hint.

Having stopped briefly for a proper picnic set up by Stormy, the trio is back on the march. They are enjoying the fine weather and great company as they chat their way to Hoofington. Not too long down the road, they hear a wagon approaching from behind. The wagon is being pulled by a pair oxen and is being driven by a dark blue earth pony.

‘Well, howdy!’ The pony greets. 'What is a nice troop of fillies doing out here like this?’

‘Actually, sir...’ Stormy starts before Rei pushes him out of the way.

Rei strikes the sexiest pose she can muster. 'Me and my friends are on our way to our sorority’s annual bikinis and alcohol party in Hoofington. Not that a big strong stallion like you would be interested in that.’

‘Hoofington? Well, shoot! I'm headed there myself. Would you like a lift?’

‘Oh, we'd hate to be a burden. How could we ever repay you?’

‘Just have one of y'all ride up front with me for some company will be good enough.’

‘Thank you!’ Rei cheers with the biggest smile.

‘You're the one riding up front.’ Stormy grumbles at Rei.

Rei starts heading to the front of the wagon, but the earth pony stops her.

'No, no. The unicorn.’

Stormy grimaces He looks back at his friends, but Rei has already rushed around the cart so she can listen in to any conversation that takes place. Inkie looks nervous for her friend but resigns him to his fate. Stormy sighs and climbs up next to the driver. Once the travelers are on the wagon, the driver starts the journey again.

‘Pretty long trip to Hoofington,' the driver says.

Stormy just nods.

‘Sounds like you have a wild party ahead of you.’

Stormy gives out an annoyed grumble.

The driver puts a foreleg across Stormy's shoulder. ‘Say, why don't we put that horn of yours to good use?’

Stormy pales and pushes away from the driver. A laugh is heard from the back of the wagon.

‘Whoa! Okay. I was going to be civil for my friend's sake, but that is too far. I am not a filly!’

The driver smiles at Stormy. ‘I know.’

Stormy's face drops. The driver leans in close. Suddenly, the entire front of the wagon explodes, and the driver is sent flying into the air. A trail of magical smoke is coming from Stormy's horn. The oxen look back then take off running. From the exposed back of the wagon, Rei is rolling around laughing as hard as she possibly can. The oxen look back again.

‘Thank you for taking care of him,’ one of the oxen says.

‘You would not believe the things he has done to us,’ the other adds.

‘Did you hear what he wanted me to do!?’ Stormy shouts. ‘I would believe you!’

The oxen nod and keep running down the road to Hoofington.

With the help of the oxen, the group is arrived in Hoofington ahead of schedule. After thanking their new bovine friends, the trio set off into the city with Stormy feeling worse for wear.

‘Finally made it,’ Stormy huffs as he falls to the ground.

‘That was a nice trip,’ Inkie comments.

‘New city!’ Rei cheers as she starts taking in the sights.

A hoof to the tail keeps Rei from flying away.

‘We came here for a reason,’ Stormy states.

‘Right! We're on an adventure!’ Rei takes to the sky as much as she can. ‘We need to find out where the killer is hiding!’

Zo~~!’ Inkie adds.

Stormy's eye twitches. ‘Killer? What killer?’

‘Okay. We need to find the thief before he can strike again!’

Zo~~!

Stormy facehoofs. ‘Rei. Just give it a rest. Let's just find where we have to take the letter and get it over with.'

Rei's stomach grumbles, and she falls to the ground. 'So hungry.’

‘You're such a pain,’ Stormy grumbles.

‘Knowing Rei, we are going to be here for a few days,’ Inkie postulates. Rei smiles and nods. ‘We should find a nice place to stay while in town.’

‘Twilight gave us a lot of bits, so let's stay somewhere nice!’ Rei cheers.

Stormy thinks. ‘Well, according to Fashion Weekly, The Falabella is the most stylish hotel in the city.’

The fillies stare at Stormy.

Stormy blushes. ‘Rarity leaves it out! What else am I going to read when working the front of the store?’

The fillies shake their head and head off into the city.

The Falabella is a multistory hotel with a neomodern design. Stormy and Inkie stand in front of the building, in awe of the type of architecture they have never seen in their relatively country and small-town lifestyles. Rei shrugs off the design and her shocked friends as she enters the building.

‘Needs a giant neon billboard for ramen out front,’ Rei comments.

Inkie and Stormy follow their leader and are even more taken by the interior design.

‘The cruise ship was fancy, but this is just...’ Inkie gapes.

‘I’ve never seen an indoor koi pond,’ Stormy remarks.

Rei rolls her eyes at her friends for once. ‘Geez. You're embarrassing me. Try not to act like rubes the whole time we are here.’

Rei takes a second to put on the fake Luna tiara she got from the princess before approaching the reception desk. Before her is a large silver earth pony with a long platinum mane and his massive entourage. He is arguing with the desk manager.

‘What do you mean, my room isn't ready!’ He shouts slamming a hoof on the desk. ‘I reserved the royal suite the same day I scheduled the antiquity show at your museum, or did you think the rush of customers for the event was mere coincidence?’

‘I-I-I’m sorry, sir. Sapphire Shores was the last guest to stay there while on concert tour. You know how those pop stars like to party.’

‘If I am correct, Miss Shores’ concert was over a week ago,’ Rei interjects. ‘What is the real reason you are holding up the prince?’

The scared clerk panics at being called out. He looks from the newcomer to the angry customer before him. He cowers behind the desk.

‘Last night was my sister's wedding. I loaned her the room for the night to celebrate. They just left this morning, and the sanitizers were late in starting the purification of your suite.’

The angry earth pony eases up and steps back. ‘You could have just said so. A little honesty goes far.’ He turns away. ‘I’ll be partaking of your recreational facilities while my room is being finished.’ He glances back at Rei. ‘It is good seeing another royal in town for the event.’

Rei gives the earth pony a small bow before he marches off to another part of the hotel, leaving his entourage to settle the room arrangements. The clerk lets out a relieved sigh before turning to Rei. He panics a little at the sight of the tiara on Rei's head.

‘How, how may I help you?’

‘My friends and I would like a room for an indefinite amount of time. It need not be too fancy.’

‘Right away!’

The clerk starts searching the computer for a suitable room for Rei's group. He slips her their key cards once everything is arranged.

‘Thank you.' Rei bows slightly. ‘We still have more of the city to see, so I will assume the room is more than adequate.’

‘It will be. It is! I'll see to it personally.’ The clerk hurries from behind the desk and gallops away to oversee the arrangements for both of his customers.

Rei laughs as she rejoins her friends. She puts the tiara away and gives the key cards to her friends.

‘A little princess goes a long way,’ She laughs.

‘How did you... What did you... Who was that?’ Stormy stammers.

‘The noble? I am surprised you don't recognize him.’

'We aren't all personal apprentices to Luna,’ Stormy grumbles.

‘That was Ivory Towers. He is the current head of the earth pony family that founded Equestria over a thousand years ago. He is a great patron of Equestrian antiquity and artefacts. He is showing some of his personal collection at the Hoofington Museum, with a special gala later this week.’

‘I never thought you would be so well-connected,' Inkie marvels. ‘Not even Twilight knows many nobles outside of the princesses.’

‘Hey! Let's see more of the town!’ Rei exclaims as she drags her friends out of the hotel.

‘Shouldn’t we take care of the letter before you forget again?’ Stormy jibes.

Rei holds up the letter Twilight gave her to read it.

‘Looks like this goes to Hoofington College.’ Rei flies up. ‘To the learning building place!’

Inkie forces down a scream at the horrible wording.

The trio make their way to the college. Inkie gets really excited seeing the college and all of the stallions and mares going about their higher learning. There are signs and banners everywhere talking about an artefact exhibit at the museum on campus. The group finds a kiosk with a map.

‘Looks like we want Building Three.’ Inkie says and starts heading off.

‘That seems to be the physics depart...’ Stormy starts before catching Inkie by the tail.

‘This way!’ Rei says, striking a pose.

Rei flies towards a building while Stormy drags Inkie behind her. They make their way to a building with the sign ‘Faculty Offices’ out front. They enter the building and start navigating the halls. They come across an office with books spilling into the hall. Rei knocks on the open door.

‘Come in! Come in!’ A light orange unicorn with a light brown mane cheers.

The group enters the cramped office as best as possible. The unicorn is drinking a cup of tea, and there is a brown top hat beside him.

‘Welcome! How may I help you?’ The unicorn greets.

‘Hi!’ Rei chirps. ‘We have a letter from Twilight Sparkle in Ponyville for you.’

Rei sets the letter on the crowded desk.

‘Ah! Excellent!’ The unicorn levitates the letter so he can read it. ‘I was worried that she had forgotten me.’

‘That was all we came for,’ Rei says. ‘Be seeing ya!’

‘Not so fast. We just met. Care for a spot of tea?’ The unicorn offers.

‘We really should be seeing more of the city while we're here...’

‘Nonsense. There is plenty of time for that. Besides, your friend might wish to finish her book first.’

Rei looks, and Inkie is buried in a book. Rei sighs and finds a place to sit.

‘Good, good. I am Professor Hayton,’ the unicorn introduces. ‘And who are the wonderful friends of Miss Sparkle I am meeting today?’

‘I am Rei. This is Stormy and the nerd is Inkie.’ Rei explains.

‘Not The Rei!’ Hayton exclaims. ‘The way Miss Sparkle writes about you, I assumed you were just one of her stress-induced fantasies again like that Pinkie Pie character she refers to often.’

‘Hey!’ Inkie shouts. ‘Pinkie is my big sister!’

‘Terribly sorry,’ Hayton apologizes. ‘What brings you three to Hoofington? Are you here for the exhibit?’

‘We only just heard of the exhibit today,’ Stormy explains. ‘Can you tell us more about it?’

‘Tell you! Good sir, I could show you.’ Hayton laughs. ‘I am the head archaeologist for the exhibition. We are showing a number of rare and, some say, magical artefacts on loan from Prince Ivory Towers himself.’

‘That sounds pretty interesting.’ Stormy turns to Rei. ‘What do you think?’

Rei ponders the new information. ‘It does sound pretty fun. Something we all might like too, but I still really want to see more of the city, if that is okay.’

‘Perfectly fine!’ Hayton cheers. ‘Come by the museum tomorrow, and I will give you the behind-the-scenes tour.'

‘That is great!’ Inkie shouts. ‘I can't wait to see all of the artefacts!’

After chatting more with Professor Hayton, the group makes their way off campus.

‘What to do next?’ Rei ponders. Her empty stomach answers for everypony.

‘I know a good Istallion place we would go to when I was a kid,’ Inkie suggests.

‘Sounds good,’ Rei replies.

Inkie leads the group to a restaurant. Outside, there are a lot of ponies with cameras watching the inside. They part as the group approaches and let them into the restaurant. They have to drag Rei with them when she tries to get the photographers to take pictures of her. A waiter shows the group to a table despite the crowd outside.

‘What is going on?’ Stormy asks.

‘They must have been waiting for me,’ Rei replies.

Stormy rolls his eyes.

‘I don't know...’ Inkie says. ‘I don't remember this place as being so popular.’

‘I told you. They are here for me,’ Rei brags. ‘Must have heard of Rei the Kraken Slayer.’

Inkie facehoofs. ‘Just because you showed up smelling like squid guts doesn't mean you really fought a kraken.’

‘But I...!’

‘Now I get it!’ Stormy interrupts. ‘Over there.’

Stormy points over to another table. A light green pegasus with a short, dark pink mane is at a table by herself. All of the ponies in the restaurant are looking over at her, and she seems to be getting special attention from the staff.

‘That is Vulpe d’Agento,’ Stormy explains. ‘She is a major actress of Istallion descent. She stars in a show about a professional thief. Critics love it for the realism, but that is what security experts hate about it. They say the robberies her characters perform could compromise security at major institutions. She has even written and directed several episodes of the show herself despite her young age.’

Both the fillies stare at the colt in disbelief.

Stormy growls. ‘So I read Rarity’s magazines when I am bored. Big deal.’

Stormy grumbles and goes back to his menu. Inkie follows suit. Rei looks over at Vulpe some more. Vulpe looks back and makes eye contact. The pegasi exchange glances before turning back to their tables.

After a filling lunch, the group is planning their next move. Rei is trying to lick all of the marinara sauce covering her face.

‘So... What now?’ Inkie asks.

‘City time!’ Rei cheers while doing a small air flip.

After hours of exploring more of the city, Inkie and Stormy are really tired. Rei continues to fly around in total fascination of everything she sees. Her desire to see everything even got building security called on the group when Rei flew up to the windows of the various office complexes. The group has moved on to a more suburban part of the city with mostly small shops. The two ground-based ponies are dragging themselves from shop to shop as Rei rushes from about to see all of the wares.

‘I cannot wait to get back and rest for the day,’ Stormy moans.

‘I know,' Inkie agrees. 'Even us earth ponies don't have the stamina to keep up with her.’

Rei runs past. ‘Ooo! What is that!’

The friends moan and follow Rei as she heads to another shop. While he waits outside of the shop for Rei, Stormy notices something down the street. A pair of unicorns are coming out of a flower shop. He nudges Inkie and points.

‘Hey. Is that Lucas with that mare?’

‘Where!’ Rei shouts as she bolts from the shop.

Rei follows where Stormy is pointing. Indeed, it is Lucas talking with a pink mare. They laugh at a joke, and she gives Lucas a friendly nuzzle. Rei growls and gallops down the street.

‘Lucas!’ Rei yells.

Lucas turns. ‘Oh. Hey Rei. What brings you to Hoofington?’

‘What brings you to Hoofington indeed!’ Rei shouts back.

Lucas is confused by Rei's behavior. ‘Uh... I am here visiting my family and checking out the exhibit. I told you and boss that before I left four days ago.’

‘Likely story,’ Rei snaps. ‘If you really said you were leaving, I would remember that.’

Lucas stares at Rei blankly. He turns to the mare next to him. ‘Earth, this is Rei, my boss’ kid. Rei, this is my sister, Earth.’

Rei glares at Earth as she takes her in. She snorts. ‘I guess that checks out. You wouldn't be able to get a mare this cute no matter how hard you tried.’

Earth starts giggling at her brother. Lucas gives a big sigh.

‘Thanks, Rei.’

Inkie and Stormy finally catch up to their leader. Both are out of breath from the twenty-meter walk they just made.

‘Hey Lucas,’ Stormy pants.

‘Water,’ Inkie moans before sticking her muzzle in one of the flower displays and drinking the runoff.

‘More friends of yours, Lucas?’ Earth asks.

‘Right. This is Strawberry and Inkie. Guys, this is my sister Earth.’

‘I prefer Stormy,’ Stormy replies. He thinks for a moment. ‘Wait. Earth Grainsborough? Like...’

Earth groans. ‘Yes.’

‘And you run a flower shop too?’

‘Yes.... And if you don't want another crack in that horn of yours, I would drop the subject if I were you.’

Stormy smirks. ‘I see where Lucas learned his manners.’

‘Anyway. Rei was just about to tell us what she was doing in town,’ Lucas interrupts. ‘Seeing you two now... You know what. I still don't get it.’

‘Well, we were just going to deliver a letter for Twilight,’ Stormy answers.

‘But now that nice professor is going to give us a personal tour of the exhibit tomorrow!’ Inkie squeals, stray flowers sticking in her mane after her drink.

‘Wait. You met Professor Hayton?’ Lucas asks.

‘You know him?’ Inkie replies, picking the flowers from her mane.

‘He was Lucas’ mentor before he moved to Ponyville. They used to go on adventures and solve mysteries. Isn't that right, Luke?’ Earth explains as she takes the flowers from Inkie.

Lucas laughs. ‘It was a fun and interesting time. I haven't been able to see him yet. I really should stop by his office before I leave.’

‘You better,’ Earth warns. ‘You missed seeing him last time you were in town. You owe him at least a visit after he taught you so much.’

‘Yes, sister,’ Lucas moans.

‘Well, we better be going.’ Rei interrupts. ‘We should get back to our suite so we can plan our night. Lots of big plans, right Stormy?’

Rei gives Stormy a playful nuzzle to get Lucas jealous. She knows it works from the glare Lucas gives the younger colt. She fails to notice the jealous frown from Inkie.

‘Getting back and resting sounds like a great idea,’ Stormy sighs.

‘A shower, too,’ Inkie agrees.

‘Then it is settled,’ Rei smiles. ‘Let’s get back to our room, Stormy-kun.’

The group starts walking back to their hotel. Rei rubs up against Stormy as they leave. Lucas growls after the leaving group. Earth laughs at her brother.

After a nice dinner at Falabella’s five-star restaurant, the trio retires to their room. Stormy rests on one of the two beds. Rei stares off the room's balcony. A door opens, and Inkie comes out of the bathroom. She has a towel wrapped around the head.

‘Nothing beats a nice shower,’ Inkie sighs.

Rei turns back to the room. ‘Now, that we are all rested, let's get out back there.’

Both Inkie and Stormy groan.

‘Rei, we have already seen the city,’ Stormy sighs. ‘What more do you hope to see at night?’

‘We have to get out there and stop the thief from striking.’

Stormy groans loudly. ‘Rei. There is no thief!’

‘Yes there is! Weren't you paying attention earlier!’

‘The only “thief” we saw is a character played by an actress. You are only acting crazy.’

‘I am not acting crazy! There is a thief out there. We have to stop it before it is too late!’

‘Right. Just like you were only cuddling up to me earlier because you like me and not to make Lucas jealous.’

‘That was... Well, I do like you, too. How can I not like my Stormy-kun?’

Stormy sighs. ‘Whatever. I am staying here. Do whatever you want.’

‘Fine! We don't need your help, right, Inkie-chan?’

Inkie plops down. ‘Why should I go with you?’

‘What? Because we are a great team. Rei-chan and Inkie-chan!’

Inkie looks away. ‘Whatever.’

Rei growls. ‘FINE! I'll go on my own. Then I will be the hero when the thief is caught!’

Rei stomps out of the room. Inkie and Stormy sigh over the fight with their friend. Inkie picks herself up and goes to the door.

‘I am going to go out for a bit too.’

‘What for?’

‘I... I just want to clear my head a little.’

‘Why’d you get upset with Rei? You like her or something?’

Inkie blushes and turns away. ‘Whatever. She only likes you guys. Not like I matter...’

Inkie sighs and leaves the room. Stormy watches Inkie leave and shakes his head.

‘The way Rei reacts just for seeing Inkie, how can she not like her?’

After scouting the city, Rei returns to the hotel. She stretches her limbs then lands and stretches her wings before entering the building. As she looks around the lobby, she notices the large figure of Ivory Towers and his smaller aide standing in the lobby. Rei quickly dons her princess tiara and even finds the matching shoes and slips them on before making her way across the lobby. Ivory Towers stop talking with his aide and approaches Rei as she passes.

‘Excuse me. Miss,’ Ivory calls.

Rei looks back as regally as she can. ‘Yes?’

Ivory bows slightly. ‘I failed to introduce myself when you came to my aid earlier. I am...’

‘Prince Ivory Towers, head of the earth pony founders,’ Rei fills in. ‘I recognize you from Princess Luna's social three months ago.’

‘Hmm. Indeed. I thought you looked familiar. May I ask your name?’

Rei bows. ‘Princess Full Moon from Neighpon. Charmed.’

‘Hmm. I have not heard of a princess from Neighpon.’

‘I have kept a relatively low profile. I have been touring Equestria covertly. This is just my most recent stop. I look forward to seeing your exhibition.’

‘Why, thank you. A number of my most prized artefacts will be on display. A number of other nobles have even donated some of their artefacts to the show as well.’

‘Fascinating. Is there any object I should take special note of?’

‘Good question.’ Ivory thinks for a moment. ‘I would have to say my Helm of Clover is an interesting piece. I have Professor Hayton at the college examining it personally before it goes on display.’

‘I have a meeting with Professor Hayton in tomorrow. Maybe I will get a sneak preview.’

‘I would hope so! It is an amazing piece!’

The aide steps forward and clears his throat. Ivory Towers leans down as something is whispered into his ear.

‘Oh dear.’ He turns back to Rei. ‘I was supposed to meet somepony here, but it seems the location has been changed. If you will excuse me.’

Ivory Towers bows again and heads toward the lifts. Rei thinks for a moment before heading to the concierge.

‘Excuse me. Do you perchance know who Prince Towers was meeting?’

The concierge looks up for a moment before screaming and ducking under the desk.

‘I am sorry, ma'am. I do not know. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?’

Rei gives the poor concierge the most regally disdainful look she can muster before an evil grin creeps over her face.

Stormy is awakened by a knocking at the door. He looks around the room to confirm the others made it back during the night. On the other bed, Inkie is sprawled out asleep. Rei is on top of her friend with her muzzle buried deep in Inkie’s mane. Stormy sighs and grumbles jealously as he gets out of bed. He grumbles more about the wet towel that once contained ice cubes that a mysterious pegasus visitor was using as an ice pack. The bad mood is evident in Stormy's eyes when he answers the door.

‘What,’ The angry unicorn colt growls right when the door opens.

The concierge flinches at yet another angry pony in his hotel.

‘The, the basket of oranges I was asked to deliver,’ he peeps, holding the basket of fruit in front of him.

Stormy sighs and takes the fruit back into the room leaving the concierge with the gratuity of keeping his life. Stormy sets the basket on the table and climbs back into bed. From their bed, Rei starts sniffing.

‘Inkie-chan smells like oranges... Oranges!’

Rei scrambles over Inkie, knocking them both to the floor. Inkie moans as Rei climbs over her to get at the oranges.

‘Sooo~~~ good!’ Rei moans as she starts feasting on the oranges.

Inkie groans and picks herself up. She grumbles as she looks around the room and notices the wet spot on the back of her head. Her scan of the room reveals an empty bag. Inkie rushes over to the bag and screams in shock.

‘My flowers!’ Inkie cries.

‘Oh! Thank you for those.’ Rei replies. ‘They were a yummy late night snack.’

Inkie stares in shock. ‘I got those to experiment on! Why would you take something that isn't yours! YOU IDIOT!’

Rei shrinks as small as she can, an easy feat since Inkie is the taller of the two. ‘I'm sorry.’

‘You're sorry! That's it? Just sorry?’

Rei starts crying in fear. ‘But... but... Those grow all around Ponyville. C-ca-can I get you more when we get back?’

Inkie is surprised. ‘What? They are?’ Rei nods. ‘Oh. I'm so sorry for getting mad at you.’

Rei whimpers as Inkie comes over and comforts her friend.

‘Don't forget to kiss and make out,’ Stormy mumbles from his bed.

The girls look up in shock.

‘... Up! I meant up!’

After getting cleaned up and having breakfast, the trio makes their way to the college for their tour with Professor Hayton. The campus is a lot busier than it was the previous day. There is more talk about the exhibit too. When the group reaches the museum, there is a massive crowd out front and campus police are maintaining crowd control.

‘Good thing we have an in,’ Stormy mumbles.

The group makes their way around the building to the staff offices. Outside of the building, they encounter Lucas and Earth again. The siblings wave as their friends approach.

‘Morning!’ Lucas calls. 'So good to see you again.'

‘Lucas!’ Rei cheers as she hugs her friend. She gives Earth a jealous glare, confusing the older filly further.

‘What are you doing here?’ Stormy asks.

‘Well, you mentioned that you were going to see my old mentor,’ Lucas explains. ‘I have been meaning to see him again, and I brought my sister along for the visit.’

‘Pfft. Sister,’ Rei snorts. ‘Likely story.’

Everypony else rolls their eyes at Rei.

‘Anyway, let’s head on in. The professor is probably waiting for us,’ Lucas says.

Rei lets Lucas up. The group heads to the building, but they are blocked by security.

‘Sorry. No entry,’ Security states.

‘What? Why not?’ Lucas asks.

‘There was a theft last night. One of the professors has also gone missing. This building is closed to the public.’

Rei steps to the front and stands as imposing as a young, short, skinny pegasus can be. ‘Do you know who you are talking to?’

‘Some scrawny kid?’ The guard quips.

Rei growls at the guard. 'I am Tsukiyo Rei. Personal apprentice to Princess Luna. We are here on official business for Princess Twilight Sparkle. If you do not let us through, you will have to answer to the princesses why their apprentices cannot complete their tasks.’

The larger earth pony guard is visibly scared of the diminutive pegasus. He stands aside and lets the group enter the building. Rei gives him one last snort as she enters. They make their way towards Professor Hayton’s office, but there are more police outside the office. The group ducks aside to avoid being seen.

‘It seems the professor is the one that is missing,’ Earth comments.

‘We have to save him! I'll solve every puzzle to get him back!’ Lucas declares.

‘Easy there,’ Earth comforts.

‘Hmm.... This is all coming together now...’ Rei ponders.

‘What is coming together?’ Inkie asks.

Rei paces for a couple moments. ‘The thief struck last night while... Hmm... It is most likely... Hmm... I must speak with her...’

‘What is she..?’ Earth asks.

‘Shh!’ The others hiss.

‘Aha! The game is ahoof!’ Rei shouts. ‘The professor has been taken and the object has been stolen! I have almost all of the pieces to the puzzle and the players are all on the board. We just need to put them all together at the right moment.’

‘Seriously. What is she on about?’ Earth asks.

‘Inkie!’ Inkie salutes. ‘Get to the main museum and see what you can find there. Observe everything!’

‘Got it!’

‘Stormy! You have the professor's office. Find his most recent research.’

Stormy rolls his eyes and gives a half-salute.

‘Lucas! Take the hussy and investigate under the building. I have a good feeling about that.’

‘Hussy!’ Earth shrieks.

‘All right, Rei-Team!’

‘RSI’ Stormy whispers.

‘All right, RSI! Let’s roll!’

Lucas and Earth are exploring the tunnels under the college. Lucas is maintaining a light spell on his horn as he leads his sister around. Earth is thinking to herself.

‘HMPF!’ Earth snorts.

Lucas sighs. ‘What now?’

‘Why couldn't you stay here?’ Earth asks. ‘You could be studying magic with Professor Hayton and developing your powers further.’

‘Not this again.’

‘You better believe this again. I still can't believe you turned down that scholarship to go to Celestia's School.’

‘Yeah, and my boss would be dating me instead of Twilight,’ Lucas groans.

Earth snorts again. ‘If one of your mentors were here right now, what would he say?’

Lucas puts a hoof to his chin and thinks.
A true gentleman respects the opinions of others. Professor Hayton’s words ring in Lucas’ mind. Lucas keeps thinking. “Lucas, you’re fired. Come in early tomorrow.” The Wandering Physicist’s words also ring in Lucas’ mind.

‘Hmm... Earth. I respect your opinion.’ Lucas says. ‘But as Miss Rarity would say, “A true lady respects the opinions of others.” Can you respect my choice?’

Earth glares. ‘You're just trying to dodge the issue again, aren't you?’

‘Oh my Luna! What is that!’ Lucas shouts as he gallops away.

Earth growls as gives chase. She finds Lucas standing over a large bipedal canine creature. He is using his magic to check the creature's injuries.

‘A Diamond Dog?’ Earth says. ‘What would one of them be doing down here?’

‘He has massive electrical burns over his body,’ Lucas comments.

‘So he was chewing the wiring. I guess that is a better way to learn a lesson than a rolled up newspaper.’

‘No, look at this.’ Lucas rolls the Diamond Dog over to reveal a scorch mark on the creature’s chest. ‘This was a directed blast. Earth, I need your help to heal him.’

‘Lucas, I appreciate your compassion but...’

‘EARTH! Just do this. It doesn't matter that he isn't a pony. A life is a life. You of all ponies should know that.’

Earth sighs and joins her brother in casting curative magic on the Diamond Dog. A light aura surrounds the Diamond Dog. Slowly, his breathing becomes regular and he is able to open his eyes.

‘That monster,’ the Diamond Dog croaks. ‘The bad pony must be stopped.’

‘Shh,' Lucas calms. ‘You are still very injured. We’ll make sure you are tended to.’ He looks up. ‘Earth?’

‘On it.’

Earth gallops away to get help while Lucas stays to tend to the Diamond dog.

Dun dun dun du~un. Du~un. Dun dun dun du~un. Du~un.’ Rei 'sings' as she sneaks around the museum. ‘Da da dun. Da da du~un. Da da dun. Da da du~...’

‘AHEM!’

Rei turns to see a very angry police officer standing behind her.

‘Problem, officer?’ she smiles.

Inkie is furtively searches the museum for clues. She uses all of the Pie Family stealth tactics to avoid security guards, cameras and investigating police officers. She peeks out of a bin and sees Ivory Towers standing beside an empty display case. Inkie quickly relocates herself to a suit of Pre-Classical pegasus battle armor to observe him closer. Ivory Towers’ aide comes galloping up.

‘I am sorry, sir. I did not mean to take this long,’ the aide says.

‘Is there any trace of him?’ Ivory asks.

‘Not a one. All of the loose ends have been tied up.’

Ivory nods. ‘And the thief?’

‘There are no leads there, but the police just picked up a suspicious pegasus not too long ago. There doesn't seem to be a connection to our... consultant.’

‘As long as suspicion is avoided... I just want this wrapped up and done.’

‘If all goes well... Is that statue blinking?’

Inkie’s eyes dart down to notice her mobile blinking to show she has a new message. The two stallions start moving in to investigate. Inkie panics and dashes away as fast as she can. Ivory Towers picks up a piece of the armor.

‘Tell the guards there is another pegasus about.’

Rei sits in a jail cell. She happily hums to herself as she waits. Shouting is heard down the hall. The police escort another pegasus to the cell and lock her in with Rei. The pegasus smoothes her pink mane and turns to the officer.

‘I demand you release me!’ The pegasus shouts. ‘I am innocent.’

The officer groans. ‘Your picture came up on our list of possible suspects.’

‘What for! This is brutality!’

‘Ma'am. There is security footage of you taking pictures of the cameras and the displays yesterday.’

‘Isn't one supposed to take pictures of the displays?’

‘The pictures of the cameras is the disconcerting part.’

‘That still proves nothing. I was just doing research for my show!’

The officer sighs. ‘There is also considerable footage of you around the display for the artefact that got stolen.’

‘Again. Proves nothing. Just more research.’ The pegasus sits and crosses her forelegs. ‘Besides. You are investigating all wrong.’

The officer growls at the pegasus. ‘Fine. Then how would you have done it, miss actress?’

‘Well, if you had half a clue about the security for the display, you would know that the the case has a touch-sensitive alarm with no less than three cameras aimed at it. If I were the thief, the alarm would have been sounded, I would have been filmed and my hoofprints would be all over the case.’ The officer glares. ‘If you or your colleagues had half a brain, you would know the only way to get around those security measures would be to reroute the power to the display case, which looks like it is handled under the display.’ She looks away and huffs. ‘You should be looking under the building instead of harassing innocent civilians.’

The officer growls and starts trotting away. ‘I am so glad we Mare-andized you already.’

The officer closes the door to the holding area, leaving the pegasi in the cell. The pink-maned pegasus growls and starts fussing with her hair. She stops and sniffs the air.

‘What smells like an orange smoothie?’

She turns around to see Rei watching her.

‘Hi!’ Rei greets. ‘I'm Rei! Who are you?’

The pegasus sighs. ‘Great. So you saw that whole thing.’

‘Sounds like you have a lot of experience with security things.’

‘That is one way of looking at it.’

Rei tilts her head to one side. ‘How old are you?’

‘WHAT?!’

‘Well, it looks like you have a few grey hairs.’

The pegasus growls. ‘I can assure you my main is perfectly uniform in color.’ She quickly turns around and starts checking her mane in a mirror.

Rei giggles. ‘So what is your name?’

The pegasus glares back. ‘I am Vulpe.’

‘Really? You look like a Silver based on your cutie mark.’

‘It is Vulpe! Got it?’

‘Okay!’ Rei hops up and trots over to Vulpe. She takes the new pegasus in. ‘I really hope I see more of you.’ She sticks her head between the bars. ‘Guard! I would like to make my phone call now!’

Inkie, Stormy, Lucas, and Earth are standing outside of Hoofington’s hospital. Rei flies up with a large smile on her face. She lands and trots over to the group.

‘Where have you been?’ Stormy asks.

‘I was arrested! Luna had to bail me out! It was fun!’ Rei cheers.

Everypony facehooves.

‘Definitely his kid,’ Lucas moans.

‘What did I miss?’ Rei asks.

‘We were just going over everything we found out leading to Lucas’ discovery,’ Inkie explains.

‘Since then, we have been waiting out here for you.’ Stormy adds.

‘Is the Diamond Dog okay?’ Rei asks.

‘Earth and I were able to stabilize him before the EMTs arrived.’ Lucas explained. ‘If we arrived any later, he might not be alive right now.’

Rei gives Lucas a light hug. ‘You are a great pony for helping out like that. I am very proud of you.’

Lucas blushes. ‘Thank you.’

Rei backs away. ‘So. What else did all of you find?’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After some explanation, Rei has a better picture of what everypony has found. She also shared her conversation with Vulpe with the others, making Earth jealous that no autographs were gotten. Rei is pacing midair a bit as she analyzes the information. The others are sitting or standing around thinking.

‘If there is a connection here, I don't really see one.’ Stormy says.

‘I think I have one, but did he really do it?’ Inkie says.

‘He? No, the pieces add up to her doing it,’ Lucas replies.

Rei stops her pacing and smirks. ‘Well, we'll just have to gather all of the parties and run through the evidence against them. Only then,’-- she puts on a pair of sunglasses -- ‘will we dig up the artefact.’

Earth facehooves. ‘Yeeeeeeaaaaaah.... She is insane, right?’

Rei has gathered her friends and the prime suspects in the college library. Fortunately, Stormy and Lucas were able to convince her not to install a fireplace for dramatic effect. Ivory Towers is looking over the other ponies in the room with a suspicious eye. His aide is frantically going over their schedule to figure out how much this diversion will change everything. Vulpe d’Argento is grumbling to herself about the whole situation. Rei is pacing in front of her audience as the tension builds.

‘Can we get on with this!’ Vulpe shouts. ‘This is an asinine waste of time.’

‘I highly agree,’ the aide concurs. ‘The prince's time is very valuable.’

‘And mine is not?’ Vulpe huffs. ‘First, this crazy filly gets me out of jail. Now, she is the one accusing me of theft. It is insane!’

‘But you are a great thief. Are you not, Silver Fox?’ Rei says as she stops and smirks towards Vulpe.

‘Well, yes. I am the best, but...’ She pauses. ‘Where did you learn that name?’

‘It became quite clear who you really are after I learned that Prince Towers hired you.’

‘That is absurd!’ Ivory yells. ‘I never met her before in my life.’

Rei raises a hoof. ‘Ah! But you have! Maybe not as Vulpe, but you have met several times with Silver Fox, her true identity.’

‘This is crazy!’ Vulpe shouts.

‘As is your assumed identity. Vulpe d’Argento is clearly Istallion for Silver Fox. Anypony with a simple translation dictionary can figure that out.’

‘And why do you assume I am a thief?’

Rei laughs. ‘Because you are. Or were. Your record with the authorities in Canterlot is quite an impressive one. The fact that you turned white hat and became a security consultant, thereby putting your talent to good use, does not change who you really are.’

‘Idiocy.’ Vulpe rolls her eyes.

‘More idiotic than relying on a spell that reacts to temperature?’ Rei looks to her friends. ‘Lucas?’

Lucas sighs. ‘Sorry, Miss d’Argento.’

Lucas casts a wind spell that blows across the room. When the cool blast hits Vulpe, her shiny green coat changes to a common brown but her neon pink mane become a striking silver-grey.

‘How did you...!’

‘Quite simple. Really.’ Rei grins. ‘In our town of Ponyville, we have a Zebra potion mistress ourselves. A simple color change potion can be easily bought at most Zebra-run potion shops, like the one here in Hoofington or in Canterlot. Not to mention the pink stain left on this,’ -- she holds up a hotel towel with large pink spot on it -- ‘towel is quite clearly runoff from your spell, thus explaining the gray hairs I saw during our earlier incarceration. You needed to re-dye your hair in haste this morning before you made any public appearances.’ She laughs. ‘Not to mention the garish colors of your disguise are good to throw the police off your normally drab colors.’

Silver Fox growls and looks away.

‘I still don't see why I am here,’ Ivory says. ‘If she really is a thief, then she should be taken to the authorities.’

‘You forget,' Rei begins, ‘I pointed out that you were the one who hired her.’

‘I highly doubt you will find a connection between the two of us.’

‘Ah! But I also pointed out that Silver Fox does security consulting. She has many high-profile clients, including palace security for the princesses. Her show is simply a cover where she can recount her escapades publicly.’

‘You also said that Miss Fox...’ Ivory starts.

‘I prefer Silver...’ Silver murmurs.

‘My apologies. Anyway, you said that Miss Silver has a long criminal record with authorities in Canterlot. All the more reason for her to be the prime suspect.’

‘I never said she wasn’t,’ Rei states. ‘I was just working on her connection to you and how you came to hire her to be here at this time.’

Ivory snorts. ‘I am all ears.’

‘Well, to be honest, the connection is quite simple. Since she consults with the nobles and companies, you keep her activities under wraps. Since you are one of the leaders of the security council, it is no surprise that you have had contact with Silver and would know how to get hold of her.’

‘Logical, if true.’

None of this even proves I had anything to do with this theft,’ Silver complains. ‘All it does is expose my private secrets to a bunch of strangers. If anypony here would respect my privacy, I would have guessed it would have been the other pegasus.’

Rei bows. ‘I am truly sorry, but I needed to set the groundwork to prove how this crime occurred.’

‘I quite agree,’ a voice says from the back of the library. ‘I am afraid some of the pieces eluded my grasp, and I was hoping Miss Rei would fill them in for me.’

Everypony looks around to see Professor Hayton step forward.

‘Professor!’ Lucas calls.

‘Good to see you again, Luke. I hope I didn't worry you too much.’

‘Everypony thinks you are missing or somehow caught up in the robbery,’ Lucas replies.

‘Celestia forbid! I was out investigating the mystery myself. Fortunately, Miss Rei left a note for me with the police. I rushed over as soon as I was done presenting my findings with them.’

‘Then you know who did it, professor?’ Lucas asks.

‘I have an inkling, but I defer the floor to Miss Rei, for I believe she has a better understanding of the situation.’ Professor Hayton takes a seat at a table. He takes off his hat and pulls out a cup of tea. Stormy gives him a confused look. ‘Care for a spot, too?’

Stormy shakes his head and prepares to watch the show. Rei paces around before taking a moment to stand on her hind legs and lean against a fireplace that exists only in her mind.

‘So we have established that Silver Fox is a professional thief. We have also covered that she was hired by Ivory Towers. Motivation is clear, given the value and power behind the missing artefact. But background and motivation is not the deciding factor on who is the true thief. One could be the victim of circumstances of the one truly behind the theft. But! I am certain the pony behind the theft is in this room!’ Rei spins around and points at the gathered ponies.

Everypony stares at Rei incredulously.

Stormy looks around and shrugs. ‘Dun dun dun.’ Stormy mumbles.

‘Don't be an ass,’ Silver glares.

‘Bite me,' Stormy shoots back.

‘Miss Rei, why don't you walk us through from the beginning?’ Professor Hayton suggests.

‘Very well,’ Rei nods. ‘Approximately 14 billion years ago...’

‘A little sooner than that, dear,’ Professor Hayton sighs.

‘Oh. Right.’ Rei clears her throat, adjusts an imaginary bow tie and empties an imaginary pipe. ‘Approximately a year ago, Prince Ivory Towers arranged a deal with the Hoofington Museum to display objects from his artefact collection. Given storage restrictions as well as needing to arrange for similar artefacts to be displayed, the exhibit did not begin setting up until just last month. Knowing that the value of the artefacts on public display would surely tempt thieves, no expense was spared upgrading campus security. Just to be extra-sure of the security, Prince Towers used his connections within the Equestrian government to hire Silver Fox as a security consultant. But due to her busy shooting schedule for her show and other engagements’ -- she tosses a clipboard on the table she had pulled from nowhere -- ‘Silver here was not able to arrive in Hoofington until just before the exhibit was to open. That made her arrival yesterday the only chance she could case and evaluate the building. It also made it the only chance for the thief to steal the artefact before the general public would be allowed in.’

Rei starts pacing around while holding her imaginary pipe. She coughs and gives it to Inkie who proceeds to start cleaning it.

Rei turns and points a hoof at Silver. ‘Last night, you did the job you were hired for. You entered the museum and ran through all of the security measures. You tested everything and found every flaw. Including the one used to steal the artefact.’ She smirks at Silver. ‘You noted earlier that the only way to disable the security on the display was to reroute the power from under the display. In fact, from the way you described it to the police earlier, it sounded like you had in-depth knowledge how the system worked.’

Silver growls. ‘You will also note that I said that hoofprints would be left all over the case.’ A black silk sock lands in front of her. ‘And this is?’

‘Not mine or Inkie’s.’ Although Inkie in these... Rei thinks. ‘It also doesn't seem to be Stormy’s style.’

‘So you assume it is mine?’

‘Well, it was found with the towel I showed everypony earlier. I assume you forgot it after you bumped into the hotel outside of our room, unless you got that bump on your head falling out of the bed when I got back last night.’

Silver growls fiercely and looks away.

‘That wasn't Rei I climbed in bed with last night?’ Inkie squeaks and hides herself behind her mane.

‘Still,’ Rei shrugs, ‘that doesn't mean you stole the artefact.’ She turns to face Ivory Towers. ‘Your client could have done the job himself.’

‘That is insanity! How dare a royal accuse another of such petty theft?’ Ivory roars.

‘Is she really royalty? I thought she was just Luna's apprentice,’ Inkie whispers to Lucas.

‘She what!’ Ivory stomps the ground.

‘We'll talk about that later, Inkie,’ Rei hisses. She collects herself. ‘Anyway, we know what the lovely Silver was doing last night,’ -- Silver blushes -- ‘but we don't know why she was at our hotel when she is staying in another part of town.’

‘How does she know all of these things?’ Earth asks.

‘You don't want to know,’ Lucas replies.

‘As Prince Towers will recall, we ran into each other last night as well. You had mentioned you were waiting for somepony and that the meeting location changed. Could it have been Silver and her report on your security you were waiting for?’

Rei drops a small stack of papers on the table.

‘Where did you get that?’ Ivory demands.

‘You would be amazed at the things some ponies keep on thumb drives hidden under their bed and encrypted with several layers of 64-bit security.’ Rei gloats.

‘I bet your princess will get you out of the hacking charges too...’ Silver grumbles.

‘That report contains all of the details about the museum security and how to get around it, including how to rewire the security via access tunnels under the building. That knowledge in hoof would allow anypony to successfully rob the museum of all of the valuables, even if a Diamond Dog was hired for this task and then eliminated. The insurance payoff on a priceless artefact...’

‘Accusing me of stealing my own artefact just for the money...’ Ivory growls.

‘Then there is the power aspect of the the artefact,’ Rei states. ‘See, the artefact that was stolen was the Helm of Clover. That is a magical item devised by Clover the Clever, student of Starswirl the Bearded of the Pre-Classical Era.’

‘My research showed that it was an authentic artefact, indeed dating to the proper period and in the style of the early unicorn tribes,’ Professor Hayton adds

‘Right,’ Rei agrees. ‘And the magic in the helm would allow any non-unicorn to use magic like a unicorn.’

‘Impossible!’ Ivory cries. ‘I have had that artefact in my collection for years. I would have known of that sooner.’

‘Unless you did and were just waiting for a chance to acquire the magic for yourself under dubious means as part of a plot to try to overthrow the princesses.’

Silver snorts. ‘Tch. How traitorous to use the information I provided in an effort to better protect society.’

‘Of course, the ability to use magic would help get revenge against a system that has kept you down for as long as it has.’

Ivory laughs. ‘The noble thief with the knowledge to get into every noble's home and the power to destroy them and seize power for herself.’

‘I don't desire power, unlike the greedy nobles that only care for themselves!' Silver shouts.

‘I care not for wealth or power!' Ivory yells back. 'Do not lump me with the other unscrupulous nobles!’

‘Ponies. Ponies,’ Rei calms. ‘You forget. I have solved this case expertly. I know who the thief is.’

‘Enlighten us,’ Ivory snarls.

‘Yes. Do tell,’ Silver snorts.

Rei laughs, retrieves her imaginary pipe from Inkie, and blows a few bubbles from it. She turn and points. ‘You are the thief!' She advances on Ivory Towers’ aide. ‘You stole the helm and will be punished!’

‘M-m-m-me?’

‘Exactly!’

‘Uh... Rei?’ Stormy says. ‘Isn't that a little cliche?’

‘How so? He was the one in charge of all of the scheduling. He handled all of the arrangements for hiring Silver Fox. He had access to Silver Fox's report and the money to hire the Diamond Dog to rewire the security system. He also had the ability to get away from Ivory Towers for extended periods to take care of the crime under the guise of official business. Not to mention the value of the artefact, the damage to Ivory Towers' reputation and getting Silver Fox arrested. All would help him be free to start a new life.’

‘Still. It is very cliche for the butler to do it.’

The aide starts sobbing. ‘It is true. It is all true. I got greedy. Please forgive me, master.’

Ivory Towers stands over the cowering aide. ‘The authorities will deal with you.’

‘Good show, Rei!’ Professor Hayton cheers.

Earth is in awe. ‘Wow. She is as smart as you claimed, Lucas. … As insane as you said, too.’

Rei giggles. ‘Your sister is funny.’

Lucas' eye twitches. ‘You know she is my sister now?’

Rei rolls her eyes. ‘Well, duh. You said you were leaving to visit her before you left days ago. How could I forget that?’ Lucas holds back a scream. Rei kisses his cheek. ‘Thanks for your help.’

Silver Fox stands and goes over to Rei. ‘You are quite formidable. I am impressed.’

Rei smiles at Silver. ‘Thank you. You are fun as well.’ The filly looks around. ‘Hey! Now, that the mystery is solved, let's enjoy the city and see the exhibit once it reopens!’

‘Indeed,’ Ivory agrees. ‘I insist you stay as my guests and join us at the gala later this week.’

‘Sweet!’ Rei flips in the air. ‘Da da da, du~un, da dun dun dun!

Days later, Rei, Stormy, Inkie and Lucas are pulling into Ponyville aboard a luxury train car, complete with private washroom for Stormy's motion sickness. At the station, a party has been gathered to greet the returning heroes. Rainbow Dash and Derpy are hanging a banner, with minimal lightning damage. Pinkie Pie is in a party hat and waving sparklers about. Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and Rei and Stormy’s friend Image Crystal are all waving at the train. Standing center of the platform, The Wandering Physicist is proudly waiting for his daughter to return. Rei is so excited to see the crowd she almost falls out of a window while waving to everypony. The train comes to a stop, and the group disembarks. Stormy quickly drops to the side to keep his lunch down. Rei shoots out, directly into the forelegs of her father for a hug. Twilight steps forward.

‘Congratulations! Professor Hayton wrote me and told me everything. Your story was amazing news.’

Rei poses smugly. ‘Yeah. Rei the Kraken-Slaying, Thief-Catching Princess is indeed great.’

Twilight sighs. ‘Don't get too smug, Trixie.’

The Wandering Physicist breaks from the hug to pat Lucas on the back. ‘Thanks for keeping her in line while you were away.’

Lucas stares back blankly. ‘Sure. That happened.’

Pinkie picks Inkie up in a huge hug. ‘Inkie is becoming a fine young lady.’

Inkie blushes. ‘Sis...’

Rarity puts a hoof on Stormy's back. She is holding back tears. ‘I... am... so... proud!’

Rarity starts crying tears of joy while she hugs Stormy. He blushes and returns the hug. The Wandering Physicist pats Rei on the back again.

‘Rei, I cannot approve of you running off for days without telling me, but Twilight eventually told me where you were. Also, Luna is really mad at you for having to bail you out of jail. She is livid. I am really proud of you right now,’ He gives Rei another hug.

‘Otoo-san...’ Rei blushes.

‘You are really taking after your father,’ The Wandering Physicist praises.

‘She is sitting around all day playing video games and watching old science fiction programs?’ Twilight says.

The Wandering Physicist glares. ‘I hate you so much right now.’

Rei giggles and turns to Twilight. ‘So, do you have any more mail for me to deliver!’

Author's Note:

Story Timeline: First appearance of Silver Fox.

Story Event: While not the best mystery, this chapter was the mystery story I had been wanting to write for years. It had all of the cliches that makes TWP what it is with all of the crazy randomness that makes TWP what it is too.

The story was originally written as a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' style game using a Google Form as the template. About half of the options were endings too. I removed that since it would distract from the story as a whole. I never updated it any of the times I edited it, so it looked like crap too.

PreviousChapters Next