• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 1,349 Views, 64 Comments

The Siege of Stalliongrad - GrassAndClouds2



When Corona lays siege to a city, Carrot Top and her friends must protect the civilians from enemies both inside and outside the city walls.

  • ...
7
 64
 1,349

Castle Stalliongrad

One of the first things that Carrot Top noticed was the remarkable efficiency of the city.

Ponies moved fast. Nopony was galloping, but even trots and canters were brisker in the big city than in Ponyville. Carrot Top couldn't help looking all around her as she watched ponies going everywhere, from the suited ponies walking into the big office buildings (the doorponies opening the doors so quickly that the suits didn't even have to break their strides) to the uniform-clad ponies going to work at the restaurants, clinics, and other service-oriented businesses of Stalliongrad. Even the newspaper vendor on the corner was moving so crisply that she sold an entire stack of newspapers before Carrot Top had traversed a single city block. It was remarkable.

Still, I bet I'd put 'em to shame at harvest season, thought Carrot Top with a mental giggle.

The city also seemed remarkably clean. Teams of pegasi swooped through the air and scrubbed the windows of the skyscraper buildings, and what seemed like an army of street sweepers passed the farmer as they gave the street an extra coat of shine. One carriage dropped a little can of paint as it hurried past Carrot Top, and it wasn't three minutes before a cleaner appeared and scrubbed up the mess. Stalliongrad gleamed.

The farmer had intended to just wander around for a while, but she quickly found that she was spending a lot more time than she had anticipated while still within the first few blocks of the downtown area. Most of the skyscrapers had shops and restaurants in their bottom floors, and to the rural farmer, the selection was astounding. Carrot Top found herself pausing at a place offering 'authentic Tapiran cuisine', as well as the shop next door that sold artwork from the hippogriff kingdoms and was called 'King Buckbeak's Choice.' Then there was the three-story building that proclaimed itself to be an emporium for magical charms, where Carrot Top spent fifteen minutes browsing through glasses that gave one the eyesight of a hawk, horseshoes that let one walk on water, a set of false teeth that let one speak a half-dozen different languages, and even an amulet that could give one vast magical power (though it had a label reading, "Caution: may contain evil.") The farmer had to force herself to stop staring at the proffered goods and move on, telling herself that there was a lot more than stores to see, but it was tough. And the next store just arrested her attention all over again.

And so--despite originally planning to visit the Stalliongrad Market, which Sweet Heart had said was with City Hall in the very center of the downtown area--Carrot Top wound up drifting somewhat west, where the most interesting shops seemed to lead. It wasn't until she tore her gaze away from 'Farmer's Fantastic Field Supplies', a smaller store which had gleaming hoes, rakes, and wagons in its windows, that she realized that the skyscrapers were thinning out. There were only a few smaller ones in front of her, an office building on one side and a suite of apartments on the other. And when Carrot Top passed them, she was in a different world.

There were stone huts before Carrot Top, really old ones, as well as some larger buildings that looked like traditional meeting halls. A mill stood a block behind them, though it looked out of date even for Ponyville. There were shops and storefronts that looked like those of any small town, except with archaic spelling (one storefront even had 'thee' in the title, although--if Trixie's comments on historical Equestrian were correct--it should have been 'thou.') They spread out for blocks, a little village parked next to the gleaming metropolis as if the two had simply grown together. And in the back--almost at the distant city wall--was a massive stone structure with a drawbridge, ramparts, towers, and a huge central keep. It had to be Castle Stalliongrad.

"Hail and well met!" said a unicorn dressed in a historical period costume to Carrot Top as she approached. "Art thou a tourist, prithee?"

I don't think 'prithee' goes there, thought Carrot Top, though she just said, "Yes."

"Then might I recommend one of the historical district's finest attractions? Castle Stalliongrad hosts tours every hour on the hour! You'll get to see the ancient keep and even the throne where Princess Platinum made her most momentous decisions! Just gather in the courtyard to the front and left of the castle, and a guide will lead you inside."

Carrot Top checked the sun. It was almost noon, the traditional hour when ponies went inside and hid from the sun. "I guess the next tour's at one, then. I'll--"

"Nonsense!" The guide laughed. "Stalliongrad was built as an outpost of the Unicorn Kingdom, its southernmost fort, and following their tradition--not to mention good sense--this part of town runs just as it did back when Princess Platinum held court in that very castle! And they never cowered from the sun back then!" The guard gestured at the other ponies in that part of town, many of whom were in period dress, and none of whom seemed worried about noon. "Fear not, traveler. Not even the Tyrant Sun could breach these walls."

Carrot Top wasn't sure she believed that, but at least it meant she wouldn't need to wait another hour for the castle tour. "That's good to know. Um, anything else I should know about the tour?"

The guide grinned. "As it happens, I do have a few more things..."

***

It took Carrot Top about five minutes to find a rubbish bin to dump the mountain of flyers and brochures the guide had pushed on her. The farmer had tried to beg off after the first ten pamphlets, but ultimately she had wound up taking the lot. I've got to learn to say 'no' better. Maybe Fluttershy and I could work on it together...

But she did ultimately make her way to the courtyard, and--though she kept throwing increasingly nervous glances at the climbing sun--noon came without the Tyrant Celestia swooping out of the sky and incinerating them all. There was just another guide who greeted them, a very hairy unicorn with a moss-green coat that almost swallowed up his face and his fancy robes, and he led them into the castle to start the tour. And at first it was very interesting. The guide discussed the walls and drawbridge, how thick they were and how they had managed to fend off an army of beasts led by the Dark Lord Lavan. She showed off the courtyard and even allowed the tourists to try out the historically-accurate archery range (Carrot Top couldn't shoot anything, though the pony next to her, a peach-coated earth pony with a flowing blue mane and an orange neckerchief got a bullseye within three tries). Then she brought them into the castle and showed the various rooms, culminating in the throne room--a massive open space with gem-studded murals on every surface, gleaming precious metals inlaid into every piece of furniture, and a throne so bright and beautiful it was hard to look at directly. Everything seemed amazing to Carrot Top.

However, when the story-telling began, and things got weird.

"...and so," the guide said, "The windigos had pushed all three historic kingdoms to the breaking point! It seemed for a time like nopony could stop them, and that their hate would turn the entire land into a nightmarish landscape of eternal ice. Things truly seemed bleak."

Carrot Top--who had actually met a real windigo, to her displeasure--had to agree with that assessment. Full-blooded windigos did make everything seem bleak.

"But then there was a breakthrough. Princess Platinum and her aide, the great Clover the Clever, realized that windigo were specifically weak to friendship!" The guide galloped towards the throne and then sat on it, as if presiding over a Court. "It was on this very throne when Platinum summoned Chancellor Puddinghead and Commander Hurricane and then cast the Spell of Friendship, which immediately forged such a strong bond between those three leaders that the windigo were forced to retreat! And Equestrians lived happily in unity from then on.."

Carrot Top blinked. That... isn't how I remember the story going...

The guide, it seemed, noticed her confusion. "Is something wrong?" he asked, pointing at Carrot Top.

"I heard a different version of the story," said Carrot Top. "I thought it was the aides who became friends--Clover, and Smart Cookie, and Pansy. And they didn't do it in the Unicorn Kingdom, they--"

The guide waved a hoof. "Different versions of the story are told all over Equestria. In some parts of Neigh Orleans, I believe, there's a bit of a voodoo component--the aides also befriended an undead monster of some sort, which demonstrated a more complete form of friendship. In Latigo, they say everything took place in Ponizawa, even though records show that city did not exist back then." He shrugged. "This is our version of the story--but I should point out, it's also the version backed up by historical records. Stalliongrad's library is one of the oldest in Equestria, and it includes several diaries and spellbooks by Clover the Clever. The story is recounted therein."

"But how do you know those stories are true?" asked the peach-coated pony next to Carrot Top.

"Because so many of those stories have already been so clearly validated." The guide's voice sounded vaguely condescending to Carrot Top. "For instance--there is a legend that when Stalliongrad was first built--its walls almost complete, its castle within days of opening its drawbridge--a massive earthquake struck the region. Every other city or village in the region was devastated, and even Stalliongrad--though its citizens survived thanks to our leader's efforts--was damaged, with its castle and many of its important buildings sinking into the ground. Later, ponies wanted to move. Rebuilding would be impossible, they said. But the great rulers of Stalliongrad could not be stopped by a mere earthquake! Princess Platinum led the rebuilding efforts, and within five years, not only was the entire city rebuilt, but the ground was reinforced such that no earthquake could happen here ever again. This was thought to be myth for centuries--but not three weeks ago, some foundation engineers broke through a crumbling wall in the city's catacombs and subterranean crypts and found themselves in what certainly was the ruined courtyard of an ancient castle that had sunken into the ground." The guide laughed. "Those books are quite true."

Carrot Top had never heard any of this before. "Did you read those books yourself?" she could not help but ask. "Are they available to the public?"

The guide shook his head. "No, they're too fragile for the public to use them without special permission from Canterlot. But as for me..." His hair shifted as if he was smiling somewhere underneath it. "I am Hirsute Lord, mayor of Stalliongrad. I have access to all the city's archives, and I like to participate in these tours now and then. My family has lived here ever since Platinum's time... in fact, although we never technically substantiated it, I am said to actually be a direct descendant of hers." He waved off the crowd's applause. "As a pony who has benefitted from the rich historical culture in this city, I feel it is an important part of my duty to share that culture with those who visit it."

Carrot Top opened her mouth, then shut it again. She wasn't sure what to say to that.

"Moving on!" Hirsute threw one side of his robe over the rest of himself. "As you can tell from my robes, I am in period dress as the city's regent--the closest thing they had to mayors back then. Now, the regent had a few special duties. They set taxes within the city--as I do now--handled trade with southern kingdoms, and, as this began as a military fort, were personally responsible for justice for the worst offenders." He gestured to a narrow column of stairs. "Alexander the Galloping, who tried to burn Stalliongrad, was hung from the tower at the top of those stairs, as were other enemy leaders and traitors whom deserved the death penalty. I can't take you up there, but in the next room we have paintings of Alexander and an account from the soldiers there of how that battle was won..."

***

It was half past two by the time Carrot Top left the castle.

"Hey!" The farmer turned to see the peach pony racing after her. "What'd you think of the tour?"

"It was a neat castle," said Carrot Top, completely honestly. "I'm not sure about all the stories, though."

"With something that far in the past, I would doubt the Lord Mayor's insistence that his books are perfectly accurate. Still, as a knight, perhaps you could examine them for yourself?"

Carrot Top blinked; she had not introduced herself at any point during the tour. "How did you know that?"

"I've seen you a few times in passing. I performed at the Trottingham Farm Competition--I'm a fiddler--and I was at Vicereine Puissance's little party in Husao. I was also at the Grand Galloping Gala, as Marquess Copper Truncheon's plus one. I wanted to talk to you then, but I think you left before I got the chance."

Carrot Top didn't want to think about why she had left--having to mix up an antidote to two wine glasses full of truth serum had not been a fun journey. Nor had the chaos that followed her reappearance at the Gala. "Well, let's remedy that! What's your name?"

"Fiddlesticks. A pleasure." The mare bowed.

The farmer blushed. "And... why did you want to talk to me?"

"Because you are a hero." Fiddlesticks smiled. "As an artist, I am always looking for that which is extraordinary, superlative, above and beyond--only that, I find, makes a sound foundation for the greatest music. To be near you as you square off against one of Equestria's many enemies, and to see the look on your face as you prepare to battle against evil... that would be incredible."

Carrot Top knew that the look on her face when she battled evil was usually along the lines of 'stark raving terror,' but she wasn't going to say that. "Well, I'm hopeful there won't be any evil while I'm in town, but I'd be happy to talk to you. I'm here for a few days; maybe we could meet for lunch sometime?"

"That would be wonderful." Fiddlesticks stretched languidly. "But really, with this being the last city in Equestria I could expect to find you at this time, even this conversation is enough--"

"Wait, what?" Carrot Top stopped. "Why is this the last city in Equestria I should be in?"

"Oh... didn't you know? I was waiting to speak with Lord Hirsute about a public performance when I heard him talking about Archduke Fisher. Fisher was very upset that the Elements of Harmony do not always stay near each other, since then they cannot use their Elements. He would be very unhappy to see you here, in his city, unless all your friends were with you."

Carrot Top groaned to herself. Great. Now a noble might get mad at me just for taking a vacation. "But he's not here. Trixie said the Court is 'snowed in' until next month. The nobles, including Fisher, can't leave Canterlot except for emergencies--"

"Actually, he did. He came in to town last night. I don't know why... perhaps it has to do with that new castle Hirsute mentioned finding." Fiddlesticks shrugged. "But I know that I saw him leaving the train station last night."

For a moment, Carrot Top felt a sharp twinge of despair. This was supposed to be a fun vacation! Now I have to spend it dodging some other noble jerk! But she knew she should put on a strong front so as not to bother her new friend, who clearly saw her not as a simple carrot farmer, but as a hero, like so many other ponies who barely knew her. "Well, I won't worry about it. It's a big city, and even if he sees me, he can't just order me to go home. I'll be fine."

Fiddlesticks nodded, and Carrot Top was relieved to note that she was still smiling. "I am glad," she said. "In any event--I would also like to see the catacombs today. Why don't we meet at City Hall tomorrow for lunch?"

"Of course," said Carrot Top, her mind many miles away. I need to find the others and tell them that Fisher's in town...

Fiddlesticks went back into the historical district and Carrot Top returned to the canyons of downtown Stalliongrad. Opting to take the least confusing path back, she opted to go directly west until she reached the correct street, then turn north. That would put her at the apartment without much trouble, at which point she could talk to Lyra, Bonbon, and Sweet Heart, then work on finding Raindrops. That, she figured, was the best plan she had.

The skyscrapers stopped in the center of Stalliongrad and revealed a nine-block park--or rather, one block with the massive City Hall, and the eight surrounding blocks covered in grass and tents. This was the City Market, and Carrot Top saw griffins, hippogriffs, elk, zebras, and even a family of tapirs selling various goods. She wanted to stop, but knew she had to talk to her friends first. She raced through the stalls, turned when she came to City Hall, and almost crashed into a pony leaving through the side entrance. "Oh! Sorry!" she said, ducking her head and blushing.

"Watch where--" began the other pony. Then, "Wait a moment. I know you."

Carrot Top looked at the pony in front of her and her heart sank.

Figures... she thought as she stared at Archduke Bobbing Fisher.

Author's Note:

Looks like there's some ponies who expect Carrot Top to be a mighty hero. Soon we'll see how that plays out when an actual dangerous scenario develops. Hope she can handle it!

I debated putting in a ponyfied version of 'heigh ho' into this chapter, particularly since I know an awesome dark reprise that was made later, but it didn't fit. Ah well, maybe later.