• Published 27th Aug 2013
  • 2,200 Views, 46 Comments

Diamond in the Rough - MorningGlory



Diamond Tiara used to be a bully. But now, as she reaches adulthood, it seems she has some regrets to smooth over.

  • ...
2
 46
 2,200

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond Tiara sat at her desk, hunched over as she wrote intently. Graduation was a week away and she would soon be out in the world and making a name for herself. But she was full of regrets over the year. She faintly heard her father call to her that it was nearing bedtime. She ignored him, determination on her face. The crown she used to wear as a filly lay unused for years and her hair became more lush and full and seemed to flow like a white and violet waterfall. She was almost a full adult now and she had grown up on the inside as well.

Upon her desk was a framed photo of her as a little filly, before she found her mark. She was sitting on her father's back with a beautiful lavender earth pony with bubblegum flowing hair leaning on them, the mare's silver-blue eyes bright with sheer delight. The mare was very clearly her mother. The family looked very happy together, all of them smiling so bright it could almost compare to Celestia's sun. Her father had no bags under his eyes showing he was tired and worn. Diamond Tiara didn't have a sneer on her face she often had in her youth. In fact, she looked very innocent and gleeful.

Diamond paused for a moment, looking at the picture. Bittersweet emotions flickered over her face, ranging from joy and sorrow to calm and annoyance. After a rest and timing how long she had before her father would enforce bed for school, she began to continue her task, determination flaring in her eyes, though a smile was upon her lips.

While she worked, she also made a mental note to personally delivery it to everypony in school. After all, she couldn't just write a letter and not personally give it to them and take their feedback face-to-face. It wasn't polite. And Diamond Tiara had years to make up for being impolite and rude. A bittersweet look flickered over her eyes as she cleared her mind, focusing on her first letter- to her teacher.

****************************

Dear Miss Cherilee,

I just wanted to thank you for everything you've done for me over the years. You are the best teacher I could have hoped for and as graduation is nearing I just wanted to express my gratitude to you. When I was little and used to terrorize Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom, you often scolded me and I would ignore it. But now that I am older I feel that I know exactly what you mean underneath all those lessons. I have become the mare my mother never got to see and I have you partially to thank for that.

You motivated me to do what I could and to be who I was meant to be. Although I cannot ever atone for all that I did and how downright mean I was, you worked so hard to put me on the right path. You are an inspiration to me and I cannot thank you enough. I hope I can become a mare as sweet and loving as you- even though our class was probably the most stressful you had experienced.

Thank you.

Diamond Sapphire Tiara

****************************

Dear Daddy,

Well, your little filly is all grown up. I wanted to say I'm sorry for all the chaos I made for you so many years ago when I was nothing but a bully. You always told me that mom would want me to be as bright as Pinkie Pie's smile. You also said she had a phrase that a pony needed to always show love otherwise they would become like a dark, mean shadow. I didn't get it at first and thought you were silly. But after Silver Spoon really hurt Apple Bloom, I realized you two were right.

I have a lot to make up for and beginning this week, I'm going to finish righting all the wrongs I made. Thank you for being so understanding and helpful trying to get me on the right path.

I love you!

I'm sorry that it took me so long to figure it out. I'll make you proud!

Your princess

****************************

Diamond yawned before turning off the light and headed to bed, too tired to write anymore. All the other letters would come with time. But for now, she had to get some sleep for her last week of school. It was going to be bittersweet and she hoped she would leave with no regrets.

She fell asleep soon after her head hit the pillow, the letters laying on her desk in their envelopes. Although she had made some mistakes in her past and regretted them tremendously and knew it was simply because she was mourning her mother, she couldn't think of any regrets she had.

Diamond Sapphire Tiara was a strong young mare just like her mother was and by Luna she was not going to part with the fillies and colts she grew up with on a sour note. Tomorrow would bring more letters, more aches and more forgiveness to herself. It would never fully fix the mistakes...

But she was a diamond in the rough, after all. It takes a lot of smoothing over to get a diamond perfect. And she had a lot of edges left to file.

Author's Note:

EDIT:

Due to the billions upon billions of replies I'm getting to continue, I have decided to break it up into individual chapters and the conclusions of DT giving her letters out. So the first chapter will be simple letters to her father and teacher to give some sort of intro. I will be enhancing the chapters and adding on throughout the next two days.

So enjoy! Y'all are awesome!

-MG