• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 11,683 Views, 1,093 Comments

Changing Lives - Eakin



The Time Loop Trilogy is a big place, and Twilight didn't see all of it. Cloud Kicker has a very different perspective on how it all went down.

  • ...
34
 1,093
 11,683

Beyond Repair

BEYOND REPAIR

It's taken four cups of coffee, but as the sun rises on the other side of the front window of the diner I've been parked in for the last hour I feel like something resembling a living pony again. After that blow up with Mom, sleep was out of the question. Sometime around five in the morning I gave up on it entirely and just left.

I'm sort of wishing I could just get on the train home and go, but before I came into the city I made the mistake of planning to meet some West Hoof buddies for breakfast, and I don't want to stand them up. It would be nice if at least one pony somewhere in Canterlot didn't see me as an unreliable screw up. If my parking myself here and picking at the pile of egg, cold cheese, and red peppers that once vaguely resembled an omelette is annoying the lone waitress on duty, she isn't saying so. And she keeps the coffee coming, which has her on my short list of 'Favorite Ponies in Equestria' all by itself. I made a few half-hearted attempts to flirt with her when I first sat down, but I'm pretty off my game at the moment.

Finally, the pair of stallions I'm waiting on walk through the door. Glinting Steel, who's the one who suggested we meet in the first place, and Flanking Maneuver, a unicorn with a blue coat and a perpetual unconscious smirk. With a name like that, he'd needed it to shrug off the merciless combined ribbing an entire class of military cadets could dish out, but from what I remember he'd always given as good as he got in that particular regard. "Original-flavor Cloud! Long time no see," he says as he trots up and offers me a hoof to bump. "How's Ponyville treating you these days?"

"A bit rougher than usual, but nothing I can't handle." I hope.

"I seem to recall that you rather enjoyed things a bit rough at times."

"Guilty as charged. Hey Glint. How's it going?"

Glinting Steel gives me a nod of acknowledgement, content to be the more serious half of their little duo. "Can't complain. Glad I got transferred back here after the invasion, but I swear this city is built on paperwork." He glances down at my plate and frowns. "You already eat?"

"Nah, just got here early and ordered ahead. I'm not in a rush. Here, come on and sit down. The coffee's good." The two of them slide into the other side of the booth across the table from me, and the waitress appears an instant later with her coffee pot and a pair of additional mugs. Once I've given them a chance to get appropriately caffeinated over a few minutes of polite inquiries about families, a little bit of the loneliness I've been feeling over the last few days has already started to fade. "By the way, Glint," I begin after our waitress has had a chance to take their orders, "I just wanted to say thanks for all the support you've given Kicky since she reenlisted. It's not something I was all that crazy about at first, but I know it's meant a lot to her."

Before Glint can respond, Flanking Maneuver snickers into his coffee. "Well, don't go giving him too much credit, Cloud. It's not like it was all out of the goodness of his heart. Right Glint? You've been giving her a whole lot more than support."

He grimaces. "Shut up, Flank."

"Don't spare the details on my account," I say as the allegiances shift and I hop in to join the teasing. "She wouldn't be a very good copy of me if you didn't have a spot on her list of ponies to bed now that she's back. All that training, I'm sure she's had a lot of steam to blow off."

"Oh, he didn't just get a spot on the list. He is the list."

"Seriously you two, come on."

I look back forth between the two of them, feeling like I'm missing something. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Glancing up at me for just a second before returning his uncharacteristically bashful eyes back to his coffee, Glint takes a moment to reply. "Did she really not tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Cloud, the last time Kicky was here for training we ended up talking about a lot of things. She and I are an item these days. Exclusively. Not a fling or a one night stand. I thought we both wanted to build something a bit more serious together. If she hasn't even said anything about it to you, maybe I'm wrong."

“I knew it was too good to be true," says Flank. “I don’t care what tricks you’re packing between the sheets; none can truly tame the legendary loins of a wild Cloud Kicker.” He pats Glint of the back as he he gets a perturbed glance back. “Better luck next time, I guess.”

Thankfully the arrival of a waffle and a short stack of boysenberry pancakes saves me from needing to respond to that immediately, and also gives me a chance to think back a bit. “...She did say something, actually,” I begin, trying to recall just what Kicky had actually been telling me in light of this particular piece of new information. “She asked me if I ever wished the two of us had gotten more serious back at West Hoof.”

“Oh?” His ears perk up again as he takes a bite of a pancake. “Can I ask what you told her?”

“The same thing I told you back then, that I doubt it would have worked. I just don’t think I’m wired to live like that.” I hurry on as I catch his expression darkening ever so slightly. “Only because I thought it was a hypothetical. If she says she’s serious about you I’m inclined to believe her.” I also give myself a mental kick for not noticing on my own. All those nights she went out to the Sun’s Flank with me as a wingmare I’d just assumed she ended up hooking up with somepony else afterwards. And I haven’t been feeling all that frisky since the whole Fire Brand incident; I guess the topic hasn’t been on my mind quite as much as usual.

Glint sighs. “No, I get it. It’s one of the things Kicky and I talked about. Her instincts are to conceal information, and being one of the first revealed ‘lings who tried to integrate probably just reinforced that. She’s got a lot of regrets about what she used to do for her hive. Still, just as she was leaving last time to head back to Ponyville she promised me she’d make an effort, even with the unpleasant stuff. You sure she didn’t tell you anything like that?”

My heart leaps for my throat like it’s making a full-on escape attempt. “Actually, I think she did that too,” I begin with caution. “About a friend of mine she fed on using my shape.”

“Geeze, that is a doozy,” says Flank, digging into the second half of his waffle with no sign of slowing down. My appetite, on the other hoof, seems to have just vanished.

“Well, her letter last week didn’t mention it. So I guess it went pretty well between you when she told you.”

“It... could have gone better. Actually, a lot better."

Glint's pancakes are forgotten as his eyes go wide with alarm. "What did you do?"

"Oh, right, you just assume that whatever happened is my fault. Like she doesn't deserve any of the blame for hiding it in the first place."

"Damn it, Cloud," says Glint as he presses his hooves into his temples. "So what happened?"

"I spilled the truth to my friend," I say. I can't bear to glance up at him, but I can imagine the furious look on his face anyway.

"Why would you do that?"

"I'm..." All these weeks pretending to be fine are proving a tougher rut to shake myself out of than I thought it would be. I almost did it again just out of habit. "Kicky's not the only one who has stuff she's dealing with."

"Is that really the excuse you're going with?"

"Guys, guys, whoa," says Flank, leaning in and stretching a precautionary foreleg between us. Just like that, he's all business. "We're all friends here, so calm down and act like it. I'm sure Cloud had her reasons, even if they were probably really stupid ones." Thanks for the vote of confidence, buddy.

"Look, I'm going to fix this. I know I feathered up pretty badly back there, but if I can just sit the two of them down together and get them talking they can smooth this over." I probably sound a whole lot more confident in that idea than is actually warranted; I've never seen Blossom so enraged that she'd outright slap somepony like that. I guess the fact that I dropped that particular bombshell in the middle of the date she and Davenport were on, or whatever it was they dressed up for, probably didn't help any.

"See, Glint? Your fillyfriend's going to be just fine. Cloud knows herself, doesn't she?" After my chat with Aunt Wind I'm not as sure as I used to be of whether that's true, but I don't contradict him.

"Fine. See to it that you do," says Glint. The food is mostly gone, and the greasy-faced clock hanging above the griddle in the corner of the diner announces the top of the hour. I have a train to catch. Leaving money for my own food along with a generous tip, I bid goodbye to Glint and Flank and turn to go. But I don't get far. "Cloud?"

I turn back to the table. "Yeah, Glint?"

"I still think you were wrong about us back then. I think when you told me you were wired to play the field you were selling yourself short. Yeah, you have a big heart, but that doesn't mean there's nothing out there that's big enough to fill it."

For the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm actually struck dumb. My mouth works uselessly trying to formulate a coherent response, but luckily Flanking Maneuver comes to my rescue. "Dude, give it up. Your dick isn't that big."

I burst out laughing as Glint rolls his eyes with a sigh. "Shut up, Flank," I say between giggles. "I'll catch you guys next time I'm in town, okay? My Aunt wants me back a couple of weeks from now; let's do this again then." And with that I'm off, breaking into an eager trot as I head towards the train station and home.

------------------------

I do manage to snag a nap during the first part of the ride home, thank Celestia. Should get me through the rest of the afternoon at least. When I wake up and find myself with some more time to kill before we're due to arrive in Ponyville, however, I pull out the journal Aunt Wind gave me for a closer look. It's pretty nondescript, with no particular design nor a title adorning its wrinkled brown cover. I suppose that's a good thing; if Aunt Wind is seriously expecting me to pull this out at a minute's notice at a bar or in the office better that it's something that doesn't scream 'everyone look at the crazy pony!' when I do. Does she really expect me to fill half of this thing before I see her again, though? Suppose I should get started.

Dear Diary or however you're supposed to start these things. I wouldn't know. When I was younger and Mom or Dad handed me quills and parchment it was because they wanted an essay on clan history, or maybe for me to sketch out a battle plan to besiege a well-fortified couch fort. I seriously doubt any pony has ever saved a kingdom by writing in a diary, after all, but I'm willing to give this a try anyway. Mostly because I don't want to find out what you'll do to me if I don't.

So, right, feelings and stuff. Well, you can definitely put 'Guilt' somewhere pretty high up on the list after my breakfast this morning. Glinting Steel made it all the more obvious why Kicky has been avoiding me since I stabbed her in the back.

Okay, I'm back. I had to take a couple minutes out after I wrote that last part to calm myself down. I think I'm starting to see why part of my homework was to notice when I feel stuff rather than deny that it's building up. If I start to get angry like I did back in office it's better to catch it early and nip it in the bud, right? Makes sense. Speaking of angry, I got mad enough to start yelling again last night. I'm sure my mother has already given you her side of the story, which no doubt contains the phrase 'worthless, ungrateful brat' in more than a few places. I so didn't need to deal with her after I'd just come from talking to you. I did manage to push her from zero to furious in near-record time, though. I may not be able to make her feel much for me, but I can definitely make her feel that.

If I don't change the subject soon this entire diary is just going to end up being the words 'my mother' copied across every page. It's more productive to think about how I'm going to fix things between Kicky and Blossom. I guess that given their history taking them both out on the town and maneuvering them into waking up in bed together is right out. You can't fight banging with banging. I don't think so, anyway. Although it sounds like something I'd be open to trying sometime. But Kicky's apparently decided that it's all aboard the monogamy train all of a sudden, which totally blew my mind to find out. Just another reason she's 'the good one,' I guess. Me, I'm still not seeing the appeal of artificially limiting yourself to one partner. Really, I don't see why you'd limit yourself like that in any aspect of your life. Something better could come along any day, and do you want to end up passing on something great because you're tied down to something that's just pretty good?

I guess I could keep going, but the conductor picks that moment to come through and announce that we're getting close to Ponyville, so back into my bag the diary goes. Not too bad of a start, if I do say so myself. This psychology stuff is easier than Aunt Wind makes it sound.

I disembark from the train with renewed resolve. I have the whole afternoon in front of me and a clear goal to attack as I head back to my house. Walking in, it sounds like somepony is rummaging through the closet around the corner. So at least I don't have to draw her out of her bedroom. Peeking around the corner, I confirm the blonde tail and the copy of my cutie mark just to be sure. "Kicky? I'm home."

The rummaging noises stop for a moment, but then start up again without a word from her.

"I know that how I treated you the other day wasn't right, and I’m really sorry. You deserved to at least decide how Blossom found out. You were right about Aunt Wind too; I put off talking to her for too long, and you paid the price."

She emerges from the closet's depths with a dusty old scabbard that probably hasn't seen the light of day in years. Her eyes pass right over me like I'm invisible as she walks over to the chest of drawers where we keep all sorts of odds and ends, pulling open one of the junk drawers.

My confidence starts to slip, but I decide to try another angle. "Glint told me that you two are an honest-to-goodness couple now. Any gossip? I'm all ears."

She pulls an old rag and a little half-empty jar of metal polish from the drawer, and shifts the scabbard up onto her shoulder. Without a word to me she walks away, heading straight for her bedroom.

"I had a really nasty fight with Mom, too. I hate to admit that she got to me, but she did. It's kinda knocked me for a loop, to be honest. You have no idea how much it would help if you'd stop for a second and just—"

Her bedroom door slams shut hard enough to rattle the frame, and I hear the lock click behind her.

"—talk to me."

This may turn out to be harder than I thought.

With my afternoon plan entirely upended, I decide the next best thing I can do is check in on the other half of this ongoing disaster. I head for the weather offices hoping Blossom will be there when I arrive, but instead the place is empty except for Rainbow Dash's office. She's actually doing paperwork for once, too, which is a pretty unusual sight. But I guess with me out of the office for the last few days and her own trip to Canterlot on Element business there's probably a backlog. "Hey Dash, Blossom around?"

"Lunch. Should be back pretty soon. Pull up a seat; you can help me with these expense reports while you wait."

"Lucky me." Still, if I'm going to be making somewhat regular trips to Canterlot to see Aunt Wind it couldn't hurt to do some extra pitching in. "So did I miss anything while I was gone?"

"Eh, nothing too major. Biggest thing was that Flitter spotted some more changeling drones lurking around the Everfree. They're pretty persistent."

In rushes a spike of anxiety at the twin mentions of changelings and their Everfree lair. That's a mental note to add to the journal when I'm done here. "What happened with them?"

Dash lets out a cocky scoff. "What do you think? I totally swooped in to save the day. Gave them a smack down they won't be forgetting anytime soon. Oh, and Twilight helped too I guess."

"Not the worst pony to bring along for backup," I say, stamping my signature into the paperwork three sheets deep on the desk. I seriously have no idea how she can so easily pull out exactly the next page she needs in an instant from the morass.

"Backup? Nah, I didn't really need any backup from her. Or the other guards who tagged along to watch the master at work, either. It's just that we haven't even been back from saving time and stuff for more than a couple of days and she's already launching herself into this whole other new thing. What better way to get her to hang around for a while than to put on a bit of a show for her?"

Before I can ask for clarification on what exactly 'saving time and stuff' constitutes, Blossom returns from her lunch break. "Hey Blossom. Good lunch?"

"Yeah, I was starving," she says, hanging her saddlebags beside her desk. "How was Canterlot?"

"Kinda stressful," I admit, which is at least a shadow of the truth. "Got some good advice on how to maybe avoid making mistakes like the one I pulled showing up on your lawn with Kicky the way I did."

Her mouth becomes a hard line at the mention of that name, and the hoof she's rested on the desk digs just a bit deeper into the grain of the wood. "What mistake? She was lying to me for months, and I'm glad the truth came out. I don't have to waste any more time on her now, which is fine by me."

"Whoa, Blossom," says Rainbow Dash, "don't you think that's kinda harsh? I thought it was awesome that you stuck by her right from the beginning, before you'd even gotten to know her."

"Well now that I've gotten to know her I have nothing to say to her."

"Yeah, there's a lot of that going around," I mutter.

Blossom shrugs. “I just don’t need that kind of toxic drama in my life. Especially not right now. I mean, you get it, right? You were telling me about how she was with your family and everything. She might not be a changeling anymore, but that doesn’t mean she’s not still a parasite.”

It’s true that I might have given a rather biased and one-sided account of that first trip to Canterlot where Kicky met the family. At the time it was just something I needed to vent, but now I’m wishing I hadn’t. “She’s your friend.”

“No, you’re my friend,” says Blossom. “She nearly managed to ruin that, too. She broke my heart for a snack and didn’t even have the decency to apologize afterwards.”

“Maybe if you—”

“She’s leaving soon, right?” interrupts Blossom. “For good this time?”

I can only gape at her for a second before my mind catches up. “Yeah, back to Canterlot. After that wherever they deploy her.” I try to lay a wing over her back for comfort, but her own wings twitch and push them away as she turns right back around and marches towards the exit.

“Well, I won’t miss her when she’s gone. You can tell her that if you want to. I’m heading back out. I’m sure there’s a cloud somewhere that needs to be smacked around. Other than the one living with you, that is.”

Rainbow Dash, quick as ever, bolts over her and stands between her and the doorway. “Actually there’s some paperwork I could really use a hoof with. Why don’t you pull up a chair and just chill here for a little while?”

Blossom shoves her aside, and Dash is too surprised to react in time to keep her from plopping down onto her plot. “Or maybe you could do your own bucking job for a change instead of dumping it on us. I’m out of here.” With that Blossom spreads her wings before she’s even through the door, forcing her to twist a bit awkwardly to clear the frame, and takes off for parts unknown as soon as she has empty sky over her head.

Dash and I watch her through the window as she disappears behind some buildings to the south. “Look, don’t worry about it,” says Dash. “She’s just been kind of moody these last few days. It’ll blow over.”

I don’t reply. I’m not all that sure that it will, but I think I was mostly right before. This is absolutely going to be a lot tougher to fix than I thought it was.