• Published 24th Aug 2013
  • 1,401 Views, 34 Comments

Heart Divided - pchn00



After the war with Queen Galaxia, Commander Jubilant Surprise or Jennifer has left Equestria and returned to Earth. Now threats on both world's may force her to choose one world to save, and one to doom.

  • ...
5
 34
 1,401

Chapter 2: The Pegasister's Part 1

Chapter 2: The Pegasister’s Part 1

The heavily laden craft called The Pegasus by her owners wobbled erratically through the air as it approached Derek Allen’s cabin, and the refugee camp beyond. A shimmering pink dome was clear for all to see from some distance away, and more than a few excited voices rose from within the cramped craft as small faces peered out the windows.

Miller leaned against one such window, looking down at the cabin with the beginnings of a frown. A number of horses were tied to the front porch of the small dwelling. The horses themselves weren’t TOO unusual. With most motor vehicles completely useless people had turned to the more classical methods to get around. However the stern men in dark suits standing around the porch shooing approaching civilians away was cause for concern.

Wading her way through the small army of restless children, Miller pushed into the cockpit. The fifth member of their little band, Eva Mendez was grinding her teeth as she fought to keep her craft flying. “Ay! Miller we need to put down like NOW. My girl’s getting fussier and fussier!”

“Relax, we’re here. Find a clear spot and set her down anywhere. Get ready to rabbit though, there’re spooks at the cabin.”

Snorting softly the latina woman blew some hair out of her eyes. The once uniform black now sported some very striking blue streaks. “Of course there are. Dio. Can’t anything go smooth for us? Just once?”

Miller shrugged and cracked a wry grin. “We got all these kids out, got the info we needed.”

“Right and the loco chica with the wings nearly flash fried you and Vi. Don’t forget that part.”

Miller hadn’t forgotten that part at all. She and Vi had gotten clear of the blast by the skin of their teeth. If Vi hadn’t literally thrown Miller over her shoulder and smashed through the wall with her she’d be dead right now.

She couldn’t reconcile the Jennifer she saw now with the girl from six years ago. She’d been quiet and withdrawn, but the woman knew she was a good kid. Gentle… sweet even. When she talked about Equestria she had so much passion in her eyes. Now her eyes were dull and lifeless. Just what the hell had happened to her?

It was something she would have to ask her directly. No more beating around the bush, she was nearly killed today. And not by one of the Master’s freaks, but by the person who was supposed to make sure everyone got out safely. Jennifer owed her an explanation for that.

As she left the cockpit Eva’s voice suddenly sounded over the intercom. “Alrighty boys and girls! Thank you for flying Air Eva, we hope you enjoyed the flight. Please return your seats to their fully upright positions and grab onto something. We’re about to land.”

A wave of concern rippled through the kids, but Melody and Bella were quick to calm them down with assurances that Eva was only joking, the landing would be perfectly smooth. Judging from the way it dipped and swayed as they descended, Miller wasn’t quite so confident. Eva however was a very skilled pilot, and even with the added weight she managed to set The Pegasus down with minimal choppiness. The rear hatch soon hissed open and extended into a long ramp which the assembled children wasted no time in flooding out.

The oldest, a girl named Pennie was bellowing at the top of her lungs keeping order surprisingly well. Though the more Miller thought of it, the more it made sense. These kids had all lost their parents and would be looking to any familiar adult face for guidance. Or near adult at least. The dark haired girl waved Miller over and with a mildly amused smile the woman complied. “What can I do for you?”

“We’re all really grateful for what you did for us, but what are we supposed to do? Who’s going to take care of all these kids? What’re we going to do for food?”

Miller patted the air to calm the girl down. “That’s what we brought you here for. On the other side of this big pink bubble it’s warm all the time, and there are plenty of fruit trees always in bloom.”

The girl wrinkled her nose in confusion. “But it’s the middle of winter.”

“Right well, the woman who broke you all out is in charge. She’s magic. Don’t ask me to explain it any better than that. I don’t know half of what she can do.”

Pennie’s mouth snapped shut with an audible click. “So… we just go in? What about the Master’s seekers and monsters?”

“They can’t pass through the barrier. Only one hundred percent genuine human beings can go in and out. You’re safe here. Go I dunno, do what kids do. Try to have some fun huh? Just stay inside the bubble.”

The herd of kids stampeded forward as one, surging around the cabin and running into the woods and tents behind it whooping with glee. It was nice to see them happy after the ordeal they’d just endured. Kids tended to bounce back fast, but some of them were going to have lingering mental scars. Going through what they did always left a mark on a person.

The rest of her team climbed out behind her, stretching and generally complaining about the cramped ride. “Lock it up Eva. We don’t want any of these guys getting cute.”

The expert pilot’s fingers flew across the keypad next to the bay door as it chirped loudly and locked. “I could just stay here? You know how antsy I get going inside.”

“Suck it up. I think the President herself is here, it’s time we had a talk. Samson’s been trying to get us to come in for months.”

None of the women had a particularly happy look at that, but they fell in behind Miller as she made her way toward the cabin. She just hoped Samson had been able to convince the less than diplomatic general in charge of what remained of the U.S.’s military to remain behind. Mixing him with an already volatile Jennifer would probably end badly.

***

Derek Allen wasn’t having a great day. First his niece had blown in practically taking the door off its hinges as she stormed by him without so much as a word. Then these government yahoos had shown up out of the blue in their fancy suits trying to push him around. If it weren’t for Agent Samson’s presence he’d have turned them away on the spot. While he probably wouldn’t be able to make them leave himself, Jenny didn’t seem to be in the best of moods and she’d likely be more than happy to smack these guys around.

Samson he could handle. The far-too-young to be President (in his opinion) woman he could handle. She seemed alright even if he didn’t quite know what to make of her. It was the third member of their VIP group he was rapidly losing patience for.

The puffed up general (in a very real sense, the man was at least a hundred pounds over weight… an oddity in these lean times) started barking orders at him almost the second he entered the cabin. Initially Derek had bristled at being treated like a subordinate in his own home, but he was a patriot at heart. The woman was the leader of his country, even if his country was falling apart at the seams. Putting up with her fat attack dog was the least he could do.

Moving to the locked bureau in his bedroom he pulled open the doors and retrieved an aged, and expensive bottle of brandy. Carrying the treasured drink he kept a well guarded secret from his suddenly very interested in alcohol niece, Derek went back to the sitting room he’d left the three. Passing the dark suited agents in the hall he closed the door behind himself. “Got the bottle. Hope it’s alright.”

President Amanda Sefton smiled. “I’m sure it’s fine sir. Really you don’t need to go to any trouble on our account.”

With a gruff chuckle Derek retrieved some glasses and poured a drink for his guests. “I don’t mind. Rather it goes to someone who can appreciated it than Jenny. Only a matter of time before she sniffs it out and it’s gone.”

Samson frowned at the comment as he took his glass. “She’s not getting any better?”

With a heavy sigh the man sank into his own arm chair, letting the General get his own drink. “No. Sometimes she seems like she is. Especially when she comes back from y’know…” His eyes darted to the wall, Jennifer’s room on the other side. “...that other place. Equestria. And when she’s out around the kids in the camp she perks up. But it never lasts.”

President Sefton took a small sip of her drink, closing her eyes as she savored the burning sensation going down her throat. “I was hoping to speak with her.”

Frowning now, his own glass untouched Derek rubbed the back of his neck. “I dunno if that’s a good idea right now ma’am. She seemed a little… upset when she got home.”

The large man jumped as the loud General Crojer finally made himself heard again. “I don’t give two shits how upset she is! I’ll drag her in here myself if I have to.”

Now Derek was well aware that the man had no hope of dragging his niece anywhere she didn’t want to go. That didn’t mean he was gonna take his comments sitting down. “You listen to me. You’re a guest in MY house, and I think it’s time you left.”

The speed the other man crossed the room took Derek by surprise, as did his hands suddenly clenching around the neck of his shirt and hauling him to his feet. “Who the hell do you think you are talking to me like-”

A loud slam interrupted him as the door to the study burst inward, the knob hitting the wall hard enough to dent it. Time came to a stop as Samson, Sefton, Derek, and Crojer looked to find Jennifer herself standing in the doorway. The woman’s eyes flicked from the seated woman with the large agent standing behind her, then to the man in the military uniform holding her only living family by the front of his shirt.

Warning bells were sounding in the heads of everyone present as Jen snorted audibly through her nose. The general hastily released Derek’s shirt and backed up as the winged woman rapidly advanced on him. “Now just hold it right there! I’m an officer of the U.S. military! You lay one hand on me and it’s considered treason.”

The look in Jennifer’s eye said she probably wasn’t terribly concerned with being considered a traitor.

***

Miller paced outside the cabin, the agents stationed by the door refusing her entry. “I really am sorry Miller, but General’s orders. You’re to wait outside until they’re ready for you.”

By now only Melody and Eva were with Miller. Vi and Bella declaring themselves bored and wandering around back to explore the camp. “You better just hope that pompous windbag reins himself in. If he pushes her buttons even a little right now he’s gonna be sorry.”

Almost as if on cue the General in question smashed through the front window of the cabin, hitting the ground with a bounce and rolling to a stop some ways outside the property. The three women and two agents looked to find a scowling Jennifer glaring after her human missile, before she turned and disappeared back into the cabin.

Crojer got to his feet slowly, face turning an almost comedic shade of purple as he stormed toward the cabin again. The scene only got funnier, Eva actually laughing, as he slammed into a suddenly solid barrier and fell on his backside again. Judging by the way his mouth was moving and he was hammering on the shield he was no doubt screaming a stream of colorful expletives, but it seemed his words were being blocked out too.

Miller looked from the General back to the agents who seemed unsure if they should try to apprehend their superior’s assailant, or assist the man himself. “Right, we’re going in.”

They didn’t try to stop Miller or her comrades as they entered the cabin. Melody was chewing her lip nervously, while Eva seemed to be struggling to get her guffawing under control. Miller could hear Derek bellowing at Jennifer down the hall, but couldn’t pick up anything coming back from the woman herself.

Brushing past the agents in front of the study she entered to find President Sefton and Agent Samson still where they’d been a moment ago, although the President looked a good deal more shaken than before. “Brad.” She nodded toward her former partner.

“Lizzy. Good to see you. We were just talking about you.”

“Madame President. It’s an honor to meet you.”

The older woman looked shaken, but forced a smile. “Ah, yes you too Agent Miller. I’ve heard only good things from Agent Samson.” Craning her head toward the new hole in the wall the President frowned. “Is the General alright?”

Miller shrugged and took a seat. “Up and bellowing. What brings you to Traverse City?”

“I was hoping to speak with Miss Allen about taking a more active role in our efforts to retake our country, and the rest of the world. After her display at the processing plant yesterday we’re all very interested in what she can offer us.”

Eva spied the bottle of fine alcohol and happily poured herself a glass. Melody just quietly took a seat a little away from the others fidgeting with her hands. “That might be a bit of a problem ma’am. Jennifer’s not really herself these days.”

Heavy footsteps heralded Derek’s return. He eyed the newcomers a minute before nodding. “Agent Miller.”

The former agent smiled. “Just Elizabeth is fine sir.”

“Mmm. Jenny left I’m afraid. She won’t be back for a few hours.”

President Sefton tilted her head curiously. “Where’d she go? If you don’t mind my asking.”

“To her magical world. She’s not… normal anymore. She needs magic to survive she says. Not the kind floating around here I guess, but their magic. She has to go back every couple’a weeks. Sooner if she uses her own a lot like I guess she did earlier.” He looked to Miller questioningly.

The woman nodded. “More than I believed she was capable of, yes. She wiped the entire plant out with one swing of her sword.”

“So. Sorry but it’s gonna be a bit. You can wait here if you want.”

“Thank you for the offer sir, and I’ll take you up on it. I was hoping to have a little bit of a talk with Miss Miller’s team if that would be alright?”

Miller shrugged. “Go ahead, ask away.”

Sefton glanced toward the quiet Melody. “Privately please. I’d like to start with you Miss Johnson.”

Melody’s head snapped up. “Y--you know my name?”

“Well let’s just say that five women flying around the country in an experimental government aircraft are designated persons of interest hm? Would you mind if I asked a few questions? Just the two of us. And off the record.”

Melody chewed her lower lip, before finally nodding and sending her thick braids to bobbing. “Well alright… if you want.”

“I would. Would the rest of you excuse us? That goes for you too Agent Samson.”

The burly agent looked like he wanted to protest, but reined himself in. “Yes ma’am. Just hollar if you need me.”

“I’m sure we’ll get on just fine, thank you.” She waited until the others had left and closed the door, leaving her alone with Melody. “So MIss Johnson, can I call you Melody?”

The quiet woman nodded with a faint smile. “Or just Mel. It’s what the girls call me.”

“Alright Mel. I was hoping you’d be willing to tell me a little bit about why you joined up with Elizabeth and her crew. You don’t seem the soldier type.”

“Oh! W--well um, I’m not. I’m more of the group’s medic. If you really want to hear the story though…”

***

“Nurse if you’re not going to help get the hell out of the way! We have more people coming in every minute god dammit!”

Melody was gnawing hard enough on her lip to nearly draw blood. “B--but Doctor there’s something… WRONG with these people. I can’t find a pulse, and their skin feels…”

The Doctor cut her off angrily. “Of course there’s something wrong with them. They wouldn’t come to the hospital otherwise now would they? God how some of you pass your exams…”

Melody turned away from the insulting man, hands balled tightly into fists as she stormed from the examination room. More and more of them were coming in. People who were pale, colorless eyes, listless expressions. Moving awkwardly and sitting down, mumbling only vague responses when questioned by the staff.

Melody herself had taken the vitals of a number of them, always coming up with the same answer. It was impossible, but these people were dead on their feet. Literally. Stories had been circulating of strange things happening all over the world, but this was the first time she’d witnessed it first hand. Several other staff members were beginning to look just as concerned as she was. A few Doctor’s among them she noted with a little bit of hope.

“Nurse Johnson? Can you assist please?”

Melody turned hearing her name called. It was one of the few woman Doctor’s on staff. Doctor Avery had always been nice to the nursing staff. Happy for the distraction Melody hurried over. “What’s wrong Doctor?”

What was wrong was the auburn haired young woman who REEKED of alcohol passed out heavily in the waiting room. “We’re trying to get her onto the gurney but she’s heavier than she looks.”

Eyebrows raised at how such a slender woman was giving the fit Doctor trouble, Melody nonetheless shrugged and kneeled down gripping her under the arms while the doctor took her legs. Her eyes widened as she tried to lift, the girl felt like she weighed a couple hundred pounds. With more than a little effort they muscled her up and onto the gurney. “That… what was that Doctor? How could someone so small weigh so much?”

Doctor Avery shook her head. “No idea. Let’s take her to room C. It’s got a little space I think.”

Melody followed behind Doctor Avery pushing the gurney along. The woman was barely into her twenties she’d guess. Maybe she’d come from a party or something? “Can you run a full check-up on her for me please? I’ll be back to check on you in a few minutes. All these cases walking in is slowing things to a crawl.”

“Y--yes ma’am. Happy to.” Once the Doctor left Melody went to work. First swabbing the woman’s arm and taking a needle to draw some blood. She blinked as the needle refused to penetrate her skin however. “Thick skinned aren’t you?” With a frown she pressed a little harder… than a little harder. With a yelp she stumbled as the needle snapped off leaving her patient’s skin completely unblemished. Her effort’s seemed to have been completely unnoticed by the woman as well.

“Maybe your other arm will… will be more cooperative?” Having no idea what was happening today, Melody moved to the woman’s other side. Rolling up that sleeve of her heavy sweat shirt, she tilted her head curiously at the strange disc visible beneath the material. Her eyes widened again as a gleaming shield was revealed once the woman’s arm was bared. A colorful image of a hoof, wing, horn, crystal, and eye adorned the front. The hilt of a sword peeked over the top.

“Oh my. It’s… beautiful.” Delicately she lifted the patient’s arm examining the leather sleeve holding the shield. She felt an electric tingle run through her fingers and up her arm as she ran her hand over the smooth metallic surface. “Well let’s get this off you and change you into a gown hm?”

Delicately unfastening the clasps holding the sleeve closed she lifted the shield and sword off the woman and laid it carefully on the table next to the bed. With quick practiced movements she stripped the woman down and changed her into the thin hospital gown. It was a little more work than usual due to the woman’s strange weight discrepency, but Melody managed all the same.

After a few more failed attempts at drawing blood she huffed a little in growing frustration. “Alright missy, we can do the heartbeat and blood pressure at least.”

Fetching the necessary tools, Melody was about to get back to work when the power suddenly flickered and died. Eyes wide with fright, not for herself but for the patients she rushed out into the hall. “What’s happening?! Why hasn’t the generator kicked in?!”

A rushing maintenance worker shrugged. “Dunno! We’re heading down to check it out!”

Panicked cries and voices were growing louder in the hall, causing Melody herself to breathe harder. Ducking back into the room she shut the door tightly and took a deep breath. “It’s going to be alright. It’s going to be fine.”

She jumped with a squeak of alarm as she realized the three patients who should by all rights not be upright and moving had suddenly sat up and turned to focus on her. She swallowed heavily at the odd glint in their eyes, like an animal’s in the dark. Taking slow steps toward the door she tried to smile. “J--just sit tight. It um… i--it looks like you’re feeling better so I’ll go get the Doctor!”

She shrieked with alarm as they lunged faster than she thought anyone could move. One grabbing her by the arm and throwing her heavily to the floor. The second was moving toward the drunk woman, while the third dropped down atop her, pinning her to the floor. “G--get off of me!” She tried to push back on the glassy eyed man’s head but it was like trying to push a rolling bulldozer back with her bare hands.

His mouth gaped wide and before she knew what was happening his teeth had clamped down around her throat, biting deep and tearing back with a horrific shredding sound. Tears leaked from the woman’s eyes as she felt her blood pump from the garish wound in her neck. The room was slowly growing darker when she was dimly aware of the sound of glass breaking. She barely flinched as small shards from the broken window overhead pattered against her prone form.

She tensed as the dead man atop her moved in for another bite, when a hand suddenly clamped down around his neck, hauling him bodily into the air and hurling him against the wall hard enough to crack the plaster, eliciting a bone crunching splat as he smeared against it.

Melody blinked blearily up at her savior. It was the drunk, swaying on her feet with a look of confusion all over her face. That wasn’t what really drew Melody’s attention however. It was the massive angelic wings that had sprouted from the woman’s back, and the long spiralling horn jutting from her forehead. “A--an angel…” Her voice was barely a whisper.

It was enough to draw the angel’s attention. She looked down as some clarity returned to her bleary eyes. Frowning she looked down at her arm in concern. “Where’s Mercy?”

Melody weakly lifted a hand pointing to the table, the other clutched tightly around her ravaged throat. “...huh. How’d you get it off me? No one else is supposed to touch it.”

Melody would probably have gasped if she had the strength, as the woman’s horn lit the room with a warm green glow. The shield flew from the table all on its own, resettling around her arm. Kneeling next to Melody, the angel drew her sword. It grew impossibly large for such a small sheath, shining with a pleasant pink light. “Just hang on alright?”

Not knowing what else to do, Melody only nodded, staring wide-eyed as a symbol on the sword glowed brighter. She felt a warm tingling sensation around her throat as the pain rapidly faded away, to be replaced by gentle tingles almost threatening to make her giggle.

The laughter vanished in an instant as a garish wound ripped open on her angel’s throat. Gagging on her own blood she slumped back weakly, until a pink glow surrounded it. The bleeding stopped almost instantly, and even as Melody watched the flesh was slowly knitting back together. Shakily the angel got back to her feet, stashing her sword away and getting dressed again.

She looked to Melody, and the nurse saw such care and kindness in those large blue eyes. Her voice was barely a whisper as well, due to her new throat wound. “I’ll get you out. Stay close.”

Melody scrambled to her feet nodding hastily. Nearly the second they stepped out the door one of the dead men lunged at the angel, who swayed backwards drunkenly with a look of almost comical outrage on her face. Leaning backwards further she brought her knee up into the creature’s chest, sending it rocketing into the ceiling, to break through it and into the floor above.

Blinking slowly she looked back and forth in confusion. “Which way’s out?”

With a shaking hand Melody pointed down the hall. The angel nodded and set off with only a slightly unsteady wobble in her step. Here and there she stopped to dispatch more of the walking dead, gathering a small group of survivors until they finally made it out of the hospital. Police sirens sounded from nearby drawing the angel’s attention. “...dun wanna deal with cops. It’s probly illegal to drink and fly eh?” She turned a wry grin on Melody.

The woman could only stammer and sputter in response. “I--I… probably?”

Her savior nodded. “Yeah, probably. Sorry I uh… couldn’t help more. You’re good now right?” Not waiting for an answer, she crouched and sprang into the air. Her glorious wings carrying her away and out of sight in a few seconds.

The others who’d escaped were milling about listlessly, while Melody could only stare off after the departing angel. “Damn, I missed her again.”

Turning to the new voice Melody blinked. It was a woman, a little older than herself. She was wearing dark sunglasses and a finely tailored black suit. “D--do you mean the angel miss?”

The newcomer smirked. “Angel huh? That’s a new one. Yeah I know the angel. Did she do the thing with her sword to heal you? That skin around your neck looks fresh.”

Melody lifted a hand to her throat feeling the baby soft skin there. “Y--yes she did.”

Sighing now, the woman nodded. “Alright, you should probably come with me. I can fill you in a little on your angel on the way.”

***

“So that’s it? You just followed a strange woman in a suit?”

Melody shrugged. “Well she knew about the angel… uh, Jennifer. And it’s a good thing I did too or I wouldn’t have gotten this.” She lifted her arm displaying the strange oddly colored bracelet.

Sefton leaned closer squinting at it. “What exactly is that anyhow?”

Clasping her hand over it Melody smiled. “When she healed me she imparted a little bit of her magic. Equestrian magic Miller says. Enough that my body has started to change.” She fingered her hair at that. “Just like Jennifer, we need it to survive. A very kind man named Doctor Hammond came up with these for us. It sort of recycles the magic we already have in our bodies, while also managing it and keeping it from changing us more.”

“I know that name. He took over at Project Wizard Works when Sanders was transferred.”

Melody nodded with a smile. “Mmhm. He’s been helping us out with all sorts of neat little gadgets.”

“Interesting. Well thank you for sharing your story with me Miss Johnson. Could you ask one of your friends to come in next?”

“Oh of course. Thank you for listening.” Melody paused at the door. “...I know Elizabeth says Jennifer isn’t an angel. But… the things she does, the things she can do? I… I know it’s silly but I like to believe that’s what she is. An angel who strayed a little too far from Heaven. It’s why she always seems like she’s in so much pain don’t you think?” Melody blushed as she finished. “I’m sorry, I must sound silly.”

President Sefton shook her head slowly. “That might not be as silly as you think Melody. Thank you for talking with me.”

***

As Melody watched Bella step into the sitting room, she looked toward the end of the hall with a little frown. Jennifer’s uncle was leaning against the door there, looking very tired. Tired and sad. “You look like you could use a rest sir.”

He looked up from his deep study of the floor. “Melody right?”

She smiled. “Mel is fine. Is this Jennifer’s room?”

Derek grunted softly. “Yeah it’s hers.”

Melody fidgeted chewing her lip again. “I… could I… could I maybe talk to her?”

Eyeing her quietly a moment the man shrugged. “She’s not in there. She went back to Equestria. But if you want to wait for her, be my guest. You don’t look like you’re the type who’s going to give her a hard time.”

“Thank you sir, and no I really… I just want to thank her. She saved my life a few months ago and I never really got the chance.”

His eyes softened at the admission. “...she’s a good girl. I just wish she’d get whatever’s the matter sorted out and come back to me. Maybe having some friends around will help that. Can you do that for my niece? Be a friend to her?”

“I can certainly try sir.”

Derek nodded. “Good enough. I think I’m gonna see what Samson’s up to.”

Melody smiled as he trudged back down the hall, before letting herself into Jennifer’s room. It reeked of alcohol, which wasn’t too surprising. The bed was disheveled and a large writing desk stood against one wall. Curious the woman approached and looked down at the dozens of sketchbooks, some open and others closed on the desk. She eased into the chair and picked up the first flipping through it.

Images of adorable little horses filled almost every page. Some wore clothes, some didn’t. Some had horns, wings, both, or neither. There were other creatures out of mythology too. Dragons and griffons and giant spiders. Moving from book to book Melody eagerly devoured every image she could. About to grasp another, a small glint caught her attention in the corner of the room.

Approaching slowly she squinted at seemingly thin air. The harder she stared though the more a… SOMETHING became visible. It was like a… a doorknob? Feeling equal parts curious and frightened she tentatively reached out, making to grasp the knob. She let go with a yelp as she felt something very solid in her hand and for just an instant the image of a door had appeared.

Swallowing the lump in her throat Melody reached out again, grasping the knob firmer and pushing it open. Before she knew what was happening it swung fully outward and she stumbled forward into a tunnel of wildly oscillating lights, landing hard on the stone at the other side of the tunnel.

Sitting up and rubbing her sore head with a soft groan she blinked at her surroundings. Everything was so… BRIGHT. Bright and colorful. And the air smelled so fresh. She’d never imagined air could be so crisp and clean. A sudden breeze sent a shiver through her. She was in the mountains! Snowy peaks jutted out in all directions. The woman moved to the edge of the ledge she was on, gaping out at the picturesque landscape sprawling beneath her.

“What the hell are you doing here?!”

Melody yelped at the harsh voice and jumped in alarm, losing her foot and tumbling over the edge with a shriek. She didn’t fall far before a green nimbus of twinkling light surrounded her body, and gently lifted her back to the ledge. Jennifer stood glaring at her hotly.

“Um… hi?”

“You’re not supposed to be here! It’s not safe for humans! The magic will…”

Melody cut her off raising her wrist. “It’s fine! I’m fine! This keeps me safe from um, from magic. I guess.”

Squinting at the unusual accessory Jen folded her arms. “How did you get here?”

“The um… the door in your room.”

Jennifer looked away to the shield on her arm, tilting her head as if listening to someone speaking. “...when I healed you I filled you with mana didn’t I?”

“That’s what Elizabeth says. It’s not just me. Bella and Eva too.”

Grunting Jen could only nod. “Miller too I guess. Why were you snooping in my room?”

Melody had thought of what she’d say a hundred times. How she’d thank her profusely. Promise she’d do anything to make up what she’d been given. Pledge her undying loyalty to the glorious heavenly messenger who’d seen fit to save her life. Looking at her angel now though, at the pain in her eyes she realized this couldn’t be a flawless divine being. This was a young woman, barely more than a girl who was hurting very much inside. She didn’t need a sycophant… she needed a friend.

Melody smiled more warmly. “I just wanted to talk.”

***

“Hooooo-eeey! Genuine whiskey! Didn’t think I’d get me a sip’a this again. Thank ya kindly ma’am.”

President Sefton chuckled at the huge woman’s exuberance. “Well it’s not mine. It belongs to our host.”

“Jenny’s uncle yeah? He seems like an alright feller. So Mel said ya wanted t’talk t’me about somethin’?”

“I did. I Was hoping you’d tell me a little about how you first met Jennifer. And how you came to be with Elizabeth Miller.”

Powerful muscles rippled along the tall woman’s arms as she lifted a hand to tilt her hat back. “S’pose I don’t mind settin’ a spell and chewin’ the fat with ya. Long as y’don’t mind me helpin myself t’more of this drink.”

Smiling now Sefton shrugged. “Like I said, it’s not mine after all.”

“Ha! That ya did! So, the day I met Jenny huh?” Some of the woman’s obvious good cheer vanished. Her smile dimmed significantly as her eyes got a nostalgic look. “Yeah, I remember that day.”

***

“Just ride dammit! Don’t slow down y’hear me!?”

“Pa I ain’t just turnin’ tail and leavin’ y’here on yer own!” Bella glared at her father as he rushed about the barn getting Millie, the horse she’d raised from a foal saddled. “Y’all’re lettin’ John an Sandy help out!”

“John and Sandy CAN help out. Your brother and sister do heavy labor around here, they’re strong enough to defend our home from those monsters. Ain;’t yer fault yer sick Anna Belle, lord knows I don’t begrudge ya none. But if yer here then we’re all gonna be distracted tryin’ t’keep ya safe. We’ll all feel a helluva lot better knowin’ yer well on yer way t’the city.”

The tall, willowy blond scowled at her father. He was right and she knew it. Not for the first time she cursed the damned sickness that kept her weak and infirm. “Pa I… I don’t wanna leave ya.”

Her father gently removed the faded stetson from his own head and settled it on hers. “We’ll see ya again soon girl. Keep m’hat safe for me alright? I’m gonna want it back!”

Feeling tears coming unbidden the woman nodded and grabbed her huge father in a tight embrace. “I will pa. J--just be careful alright? Promise ya ain’t gonna do nothin’ foolish.”

“Just worry about yerself girl. Now go on, git! It ain’t that far inta town!”

Forcing herself to climb up into the saddle atop Millie she nodded. “I’ll see y’all soon right?!”

“Right. Now go on girl. Git!” He delivered a sharp swat to the mare’s backside, and the dappled horse took off like a shot from the barn.

Bella leaned forward in the saddle, willing herself not to look back. She couldn’t help it though and glanced at her family ranch. Huge gouts of dirt were being kicked up by the monstrous subterranean worms tunneling beneath her home. Inhuman roars were met with a multitude of gunshots as her family met the invading beasts head on.

Her eyes widened in fear as one of the tunnelers split off, the trail of sand thrown up in its wake marking its path clear. It was heading right for her. Kicking Bella in the flanks she tightened her grip on the reins. “C’mon girl! Git the lead out! Move it!”

Her beloved mare snorted as she ran harder in response to her master’s commands. Millie was a powerful horse used to the heavy labor required of the animals around the ranch. She wasn’t the fastest runner but she could go a long time without needing a break. Unfortunately speed was what was called for over endurance.

The disrupted sand was getting closer and closer at the monster closed on its prey. With a sharp cry of alarm Bella was flung from the saddle, tumbling head over heels as Millie came to an abrupt stop. Landing hard enough on the ground to blast the air from her lungs and cause spots to dance before her eyes, the prone woman struggled to rise as her horses screams cut through the air.

Thick, slimy tendrils had lashed around Millie’s hind legs and were even now dragging the mare under the sand. Her hind legs were barely visible as more and more feelers reached up from the sand to wrap around the frenzied animal. “Leave her alone!”

Bella was on her feet and rushing to her companions side. Grabbing one of the tendrils with both hands, she recoiled with a pained shriek as some kind of acid burned the skin almost down to the bone. Her screams grew in volume as another feeler wrapped solidly around her arms, pinning them to her chest and eating through flesh and muscle near instantaneously.

Feeling herself growing dizzy and nauseous from the pain, Bella sagged forward as she felt herself tugged toward the same fate her now silent horse was enduring. Without what sounded like a missile streaking through the air came from overhead. Lifting bleary eyes Bella saw something small, twinkling, and green hurtling through the air. She didn’t get a clear view as it impacted the ground near the center of the tunneler releasing an explosion of glittery green light and flinging her clear.

The severed tendrils sagged limply around her body as she struggled to get free of them. Her arms hung uselessly at her sides but she climbed awkwardly to her feet in time to see the missile’s owner, a beautifully winged woman crash face first to the sand.

She lay there long enough for Bella to grow concerned about her, approaching slowly and prodding her upthrust backside with the toe of her boot. “H--hello?”

Without warning she jerked upright, sending her bright pink curls bouncing around her shoulders. “Zwuh?! I wasn’t sleeping! And I didn’t DROP you Heart! I THREW you!”

Bella stared wide-eyed as the possible crazy, and obviously drunk angelic woman ranted to herself. “Well maybe you shouldn’t be such a nag then!”

Grunting she stood up and dusted herself off, reaching into the sand and reclaiming her sword. She paused in her movements as her eyes fell upon Bella’s dead horse. She was surprised by the look of profound sadness in the newcomer’s eyes. “...I’m sorry about your horse.”

“I uh, yeah. Me too. H--hey ya killed the tunneler! Please! M’family back at th’ranch! They’re fightin’ a whole mess’a them! Can ya help?!””

The sadness only deepened in her eyes. “Can you ride without your arms?”

Blinking at the sudden question Bella nodded slowly. “W--well sure. Been ridin m’whole life. Why?”

Her question was answered soon as the woman glowed brightly. When the light cleared Bella found herself staring at the most beautiful animal she’d ever laid eyes on. The mare’s striking, verdant green coat rippled beautifully with the muscle concealed beneath. Strong, powerfully built legs and a slender muzzle with surprisingly expressive blue eyes. The huge wings, green feathers tipped in pink fanned out as she knelt down. The majestic image was a little spoiled as she slipped and face planted from the action, but she pulled herself up quickly. “I’ll get you to safety.”

Mounting the strange winged mare with some difficulty Bella gripped her tightly with her legs. “What about m’family?!”

The mare didn’t answer as she sprang into the air. Bella nearly slipped off as they took flight. The constant pain in her arms warred with the elation of flying, but as they passed her family ranch all thoughts of joy vanished at the destruction she saw. The house was almost entirely submerged, and only a few streaks of blood remained of the many horses they had penned there.

“...they’re all gone, aren’t they?”

Her rescuer didn’t answer as she flew them to the outskirts of the city, where she carefully lowered the woman back to the ground. As quickly as she became a horse, she was a woman again. Drawing her sword and kneels beside Bella who was groaning and feverish from the garish wounds along her arms. Jennifer frowned at the seared bone visible. With a sigh she drew her sword. “This is going to hurt a lot.”

Bella blinked in confusion as a warm glow filtered around her arms and hands. The pain soon faded, even as identical wounds opened up on the woman who howled with pain and anger. “Fuck!”

Disbelieving, Bella sat up lifting and flexing her hands and arms. “I--it doesn’t hurt?”

“It fucking hurts ME! Fuck! I need a drink!” Before Bella could even give a thank you, the woman was gone into the air once more.

Bella stared slack jawed as the winged woman flew off. Rapidly approaching footsteps drew her focus to her right as a woman in sunglasses, leather vest, and a faded t-shirt came running up panting heavily. “Shit! Again?” She looked Bella over, lifting the glasses to reveal striking gold eyes. “You better come with me miss.”

Looking from her, to the now gone woman, then back the way they’d come Bella frowned. “M’whole family just got eaten by worms ma’am. I was saved by a gal who turns inta a horse or I dunno, is she a horse who turns inta a gal? Either way I’m goin’ t’the nearest bar.”

Sighing the woman nodded. “Fine. We’ll get a drink and I’ll fill you in.”


***

“That’s quite a story Miss Lissom.”

“Just Bella’s fine ma’am.”

President Sefton nodded to that as she sipped from her glass. “There’s one thing I don’t understand. In your story you said you were physically weak with some sort of illness. But you seem very…” The older woman motioned to Bella’s massive physique. “...robust.”

Bella barked a laugh at that as she rose to leave. “Well everyone’a us that Jenny fixed up got a little somethin’ extra. Mel’s got her hair, Eva far as I c’n tell is just twitchy, Lizzy pop the wings offa fly from a mile off. An me? Well, I just got big. Reckon I’ll send one’a th’other girls inta see ya?”

Nodding thoughtfully Sefton leaned back considering what she’d heard so far. It almost sounded like Jennifer was intervening by accident rather than seeking out places she could be of most use. It wasn’t a terribly pleasant thought given what she’d seen of the young woman in person. She certainly had power, but seemed to lack much if any motivation to use it properly. Pouring herself another drink, she waited for the next woman to enter.

***

“So… if you don’t mind my asking, who’s Fluttershy?”

Jennifer stiffened at the soft spoken woman’s question. “No one.”

Sensing the winged woman clearly didn’t want to talk about the subject, but believing it may very well be required to reach the core of her problem Melody pressed on. “When you woke up in the Pegasus you thought I was her. You sounded… happy to hear me.”

Mel tensed as Jennifer flexed her hands open and closed tightly, clearly trying to keep herself calm. Finally her shoulders and wings simultaneously sagged. “...she was my aunt, sort of. My mother has these very close friends. Fluttershy is one of them.”

“She has a very interesting name.”

Quirking a smile now Jen shrugged. “Not really. It’s a pretty normal Equestrian name.”

Melody gave Jennifer her space, sitting with her back against the rock wall while the other woman stood on the edge of the ledge. “Oh? So she’s a pony? Your mother came to Equestria too?”

“She’s a pony, yeah. My mom uh… IS Equestrian. A pony as well. It’s… it’s complicated.”

Happy she already drew some information from the taciturn woman, Mel switched topics. “I can see why you like it here. It’s beautiful.”

Jen grunted in response. “We’re in the Griffon Empire. See all those little black specks around that peak there?”

Melody followed the direction Jen was pointing. “I do.”

“That’s the primary aerie. Where the emperor lives. Those specks are all griffons.”

Mel’s eyes widened at the admission. “Real live griffons?”

Jennifer chuckled at the awe in her voice. “Yeah. They’re not real dead griffons that’s for sure. ...though I suppose plenty died because of me.”

“What does that mean?” Melody flinched at the hard look in Jennifer’s eye as she turned to regard her. “U--um if you don’t mind my asking!”

Eventually she looked back out over the mountains. “...there was a war here. About a year ago now I think? The Princess’ mother returned from her banishment. Because of me, I ignored my teacher’s warnings, broke a promise to her and let Galaxia loose. So many died because of me. Equestria went through five years of hell because I couldn’t mind my own business. I couldn’t trust Luna told me to keep away from something for a good reason.”

Melody kept silent as Jennifer spoke, not wanting to interrupt. “I died that day too. Literally I mean. One of Galaxia’s cronies killed me.” She lifted a hand and rested it against her chest. “Big spear of black crystal, right through my chest. Then to seal the deal Galaxia hit me with some kind of wasting spell so no one could heal me. A friend of mine took me home to be with Pinkie up to the end.”

Jennifer abruptly dropped onto the ground, resting her back against the wall next to Melody. “So I died. But… they didn’t let me stay dead. Discord came and took a… a piece of me. My soul I guess. He used it to get Pinkie Pie pregnant. Nine months later she had a filly. Jubilant Surprise Pie.” The name brought a brief smile to Jen’s face. But it was just that, very brief. “It was all part of some hair-brained scheme to bring me back to life.”

The other woman couldn’t help but interrupt. “They can do that?!”

Jen shrugged. “Sure. But they need all sorts of magical craziness to do it. Elements of Harmony, my sword was a component, magical hope…” Her hand drifted to something beneath the sweat shirt she was wearing around ehr throat. “Love. So using the filly, they brought me back. We merged into a whole again and there I was with five years of filly memory mixing together with my human ones. So in a very real sense, Pinkie Pie is my mother.”

“Anyway, they brought me back so I could lead them in this war to retake Equestria. Some other stuff happened, I got named Commander of this old order of knights… the Order of Harmony.” She couldn’t hide just a bit of pride at that. “...I went around recruiting help for the battle. In the end we won, but a lot of good people died.”

“Jennifer you can’t blame yourself for what happened. It sounds like you were very heroic through it all.”

“I can and do blame myself. Galaxia would have never been freed if I’d listened to Luna. Who knows how many griffons, changelings, and spiders died to save a land not even their own. Because of me dragging them into the conflict.” Slowly she shook her head. “It doesn’t matter. It’s done now. Galaxia is dead and gone, Princess Celestia is ruling Equestria again. Everypony’s doing fine.”

“Do you really believe that?”

Looking confused now Jen turned to Melody. “Why wouldn’t they be?”

“It sounds to me like you had some people… or um, ponies who cared about you a lot. How long has it been since you’ve seen your friends? Or your poor mother?”

Scowling the younger woman looked away. “They’re better off without me. They’ll move on.”

“After all the trouble they went to just to bring you back, I don’t think they’ll forget about you so easily.”

Jen opened her mouth, then snapped it shut with an audible click. She clenched her fists at her sides for a minute before looking away again. “I think it’s time for you to go.”

Her tone left no room for arguement. Melody rose to her feet brushing her skirt off. “Alright Jennifer. I’m glad we talked, and I hope we get to do it again soon.”

The troubled young woman didn’t look up at Melody went back to the door that brought her. She stared straight ahead, already turbulent thoughts only more confused than before.

***

Melody managed to avoid falling flat on her face as she stepped from the tunnel back into Jennifer’s room. The woman yelped in surprise at seeing Bella standing in the doorway, eyebrows raised at her unusual entrance. “O--oh hi Bella.”

“Mel. That’s uh… a big fancy magic door y’came outta.”

“Jennifer made it. It leads to Equestria.”

Now Bella looked more interested. “The world fulla magic talkin’ horses?”

“Ponies. And yes. She’s right on the other side if you want to speak with her. I think it might help.”

The large woman removed her hat, running a hand through her hair. A gesture Melody had come to find meant Bella was more than a little uncomfortable with something. “Dunno if it’s really m’place Mel.”

“I think it is. I learned a little about what has her so upset. Right now what she needs are good friends who’re willing to lend her a friendly ear.”

“Hmph. S’pose it’s the least I could do what with her savin’ m’life an all. So I just uh… walk on in?”

“Mmhm. And watch the last step, I tripped.”

Sighing heavily Bella replaced her hat and stepped up to the glowing doorway. “...right. Guess I’ll catch ya in a bit.” Squaring her shoulders the woman entered the door, whisked away to another world.

Author's Note:

Uneditied because my editor is busy and I'm impatient! It'll get fixed when he gets some free time. Until then, enjoy this and the next chapter introducing a pack of OC's!

Comments ( 20 )

3155016
I thought calling them that was cute. >_>

Yeah, those are definitely going to be the human Elements of Harmony.

Finally I caught up! You write too fast XD
Ok, just kidding, go on at your pace :twilightsmile:

about Galaxia's Equestria, it ended a bit hastly in my opinion, yet it was a grat fic with a grand ending :pinkiehappy:

About Heart Divided, it's promising, even if with some typing errors :derpytongue2:

Keep up the good work :pinkiesmile:

was still good to read for unedited hehe
funny how this story goes ... i wonder why Luna and the others don't just search for the doors that Suprise creates ... at least Lyra got the "find-it" spell ?!

i'm looking forward to the next chapter and when Celestia makes her turn...

You keep saying your editor isn't editing for you. I could help out if you want.:trixieshiftright:

More errors for you, considering your editor is being a lazy bum....

Really you don’t need to go to any trouble on our account.”

Comma between 'Really' and 'you'.

“Yeah it’s hers.”

Comma between 'Yeah' and 'It's'.

The Princess’ mother returned from her banishment. Because of me,

You should restucture this bit, because you shouldn't start a sentence with 'because'.

I couldn’t trust Luna told me to keep away from something for a good reason.”

Do you mean "I couldn't trust Luna to keep me..." or something else?

Literally I mean

Comma after Literally

around ehr throat

Misspell 'her'

Jennifer you can’t blame yourself for what happened.

Comma after Jennifer, I do believe. Could be fine without it, though.

Let’s take her to room C. It’s got a little space I think.”

This here could have been done differently, something like: "Let's take her to room C, it's got a little space I believe."
Or You could just be missing a comma after the word space.

Hope I helped you while your editor is dealing with stuff!

Lab

Aww, that's all for now? That's a bummer.

Tell you what, if you get back to work, so will I :P

4366580
I've actually got the next chapter of this coming soon :o

Lab

4367567 Good to hear. I am looking forward to it very much. If there's anything I can do to expedite the process feel free to ask; I actually have credentials ^_^

I have spent the last few days reading what you have written for this story since I first fav'd the frist story a year and a half ago, ignoring my stories during the time to catch up with this amazing story, geeat job and I hope that more is coming my way

Is the fic dead?

Its a shame that this one has languished so. catching one in the middle, and then stepping back, todays been a right read to catch it all up. I do hope this wont fade into obscurity with the series you have written.

It's a shame this series is dead. Lots of potenial and momentum, plenty of conflict, yet you never made it past all the bumps to get back to the nice 'slice of life' adventuring. If you ever felt like going back to this to write adventure stuff, you could always make an alternative ending for 'Settling In' (the ending all the prophetic characters were expecting, with Discord and Jen defeating Galaxia) and just start a new fic from there. Jen's a nice character, when you don't mire her story in such a huge amount of convoluted melodrama. I liked the premise of GE, but the tone really doesn't fit with the first two stories.

Anyways, I know you have like 5 other mostly popular fics that haven't been updated in a year or so, so I'm guessing you won't revisit this 'verse. All the same, if you are still writing and got bored, I'd definitely read a series of one-shots with Jen post-... all of reality being at war. Just sayin'.:pinkiesmile:

7725868
I'm actually leaning more toward dropping the more popular ones in favor of picking up Jen's stories again. I really enjoyed writing her story over the other stuff. The Mass Effect one was supposed to be a goofy one shot that ended up exploding in popularity.

7727138

Sweet! Yeah, I actually read bits of the Mass Effect one before finding the Jen stories. For what it is, it is good, although I personally don't feel like the ME-verse meshes well with MLP. Stuff like a star that orbits a planet doesn't seem like it would have been missed by one or multiple iterations of galactic civilization, and biotics already fill the 'pseudo-magic' niche. Some of the 'Legion in Equestria' ones are a bit fun to read, though.

While it's probably far, far, too late to say this as the last chapter was back in 2013... I would like to also express my interest in seeing this series continue. I enjoyed reading the first three stories, though the decision to move some of the plot points into side stories (Umbra and Jen resolving their conflict comes to mind) with out any warning was frustrating. Jen has grown up a lot from the first story and experienced more than she could have ever hoped, but at a large cost. It would be a shame for her story to end here.

8233414
It's on the schedule. I'm finishing up two of my other fics now, then this is on the list. Jen's stories are my personal favorite and I really want to finish her whole tale up. I have one fic plotted out after this one, then the final sixth story is in the planning stages.

8235000
Excellent! Glad to hear Jen will be making a comeback. I look forward to reading more of her story when it continues :twilightsmile:

Looking forward to future chapters of this story, a great start has left me coveting more.:twilightsmile:

Please say thear well be more soon

Login or register to comment