• Published 25th Aug 2013
  • 1,577 Views, 94 Comments

The Life Returns - Dress72



Sequel to The New Beginning: White Wind has returned home after going to Equestria. The memories he made are forced to the back of his mind as the life he originaly left becomes his again. But what happens when he returns to Equestria with his son?

  • ...
22
 94
 1,577

002 Life's Rewards

002

“I must be off now as I have a promise to keep. Thank you for confirming something for me,” I said, after ‘Summoning’ Rainbow Dash, Celestia, and Luna by creating a giant tempest that ripped up half a forest. I attempted to leave, but a felt a yellowish magic surround me, and stop me.

“You will not leave until you explain yourself,” Celestia said threateningly. “And if I don’t like your explanation, I will send you to prison for: Fraud, Scamming Ponies, Endangering Others, and Wasting Our Time.”

“No offence, but don’t nobles already waste your time?” I asked rhetorically. “But if you must know, I was home, with my son, and due to recent events, we are both now in Equestria, and I would like to teach him how to fly. That is, if he hasn’t already figured it out in the time that I was here.” Celestia hesitantly released me from her magical grip, and I flew off towards the house. Rainbow Dash was calling after me, trying to get me to wait for her, but I didn’t want to listen to the pony that broke my heart.

Have I mentioned before how the wind likes me? I think I have. In this instance, it was slowing Rainbow Dash down, while speeding me up. Please don’t ask me how stuff like this works, because I absolutely have no idea. I think it might be some form of magic though, I don’t really know.

Arriving at the rectangular prism, I found Jake impatiently trying to move his wings correctly. I chuckled as I watched his wings awkwardly flail about, Jake completely oblivious to his surroundings. “Having fun?” I asked, after a minute of watching my son play with his wings. Jake looked up, slightly embarrassed at having me see his clumsy wing movements.

“Daddy! I figured out how to move my wings!” Jake said triumphantly, wiggling his wings once more to show that he had.

“I see that, now you need to figure out how to move them to allow you to fly. Let’s start with using only one wing at a time.” Jake settled both his wings down to his side before I continued. “First, lift your left wing up.” He did so, and with a bit of ease since he wasn’t focusing on both wings at once. “Now bring it down. Okay, now the right wing, same thing… Good, you got that fairly quickly, now bring the left up, then the right, and then put the right down, then the left.” Jake was doing what he was told fairly easily, and was getting the hang of it quickly. “Again, but opposite start wing. Good, now let’s try to move them both up at the same time. A little clumsy, but much better than when I got back. Both down now, and repeat.”

I left him to go at his own pace, which quickly sped up as he got the hang of moving them simultaneously. Soon he was flapping fast enough that it started to make a buzzing noise, but he didn’t achieve lift off. “Hmm, I wonder if your wings are too small at your age to properly,” I thought out loud. Noticing that the buzzing had stopped, I looked down to see that Jake was exhausted from the efforts, and disappointed that he couldn’t fly. “Let’s go and rest for today. Here,” I said pulling out a parachute, making sure that it worked, and tossed it to Jake, “I will take you for some sweets. Oh and one more thing, the people here, are ponies, and they don’t use the same name system as us. When here, my name is White Wind, so what do you want your name to be?”

“Daddy, that’s silly.”

“It might be silly, but it’s true. Now come on, think of something you would want to be called.” I prompted.

“Umm, Red Wing! Red because of my fur color, like how you named yourself, and Wing because I have wings!” Jake proclaimed after thinking for a few minutes

“Red Wing, it’s a nice name if I say so myself. Now, time to get you some sweets.” We then hopped out of the house, and Jake was happy to find that he could control where the parachute went, by flapping his wings. We landed near town square, because there was a big crowd forming a walkway from Sugarcube Corner to the train station.

After we packed the parachute back up, we went to see what the crowd was about. Turns out that Mr. and Mrs. Cake had created a large, towering cake, and it was being transported to Canterlot for a competition. I soon noticed that the cake was not very stable so I decided to return the favor that I had borrowed then I first arrived. “Excuse me Mr. and Mrs. Cake,” I began, “I couldn’t help but noticing, but I think I can help with transporting that cake safely, without it getting damaged, even by a fall.”

Mr. and Mrs. Cake, who were watching the cake the whole time I was speaking, snapped their heads towards me when I finished. “Really! Oh that would be great! Oh but that sounds too good to be true. I’ll let you try it though. I mean, what do we have to lose? Big Mac, can you set it down for a moment.” Big Mac set the cake down, and I excused myself, asking the Cakes to be patient for a few minutes while I got some things ready.

Flying to my house, I took some of the cloud that I was going to use in the construction, and flew back down with the super condensed gaseous water. I landed next to the towering cake, and started the process. At some point in the ‘wrapping’ of the cake, a pony recognized who I was and started yelling.

“White Wind you cheat! Ten months ago, I started lessons with you, and then you disappeared! I want my money back!” as soon as he finished, half the town agreed with him, and was in an uproar about it. At this point, I was done with the cake, which was safely wrapped up in cloud, and had little chance of getting damaged if it fell.

Big Mac picked the cake back up, and started once again to the train station. Despite what I had said though, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash, all ended up helping transport in an over excessive manor. But that came later.

My son raced to me, half scared of the ponies yelling accusations at me. I rested my hoof on his shoulder, and slightly taken aback that the ponies kept yelling. I flared my wings out completely perpendicular to the ground, and parallel my body, in an attempt to get the ponies to be quiet. When this didn’t work, I asked Mr. and Mrs. Cake, who hadn’t gone anywhere due to the cake not moving yet at this point, to take my son into their shop, and treat him to a desert of his choice for up to the 20 bits I handed them.

When I saw Mrs. Cake disappear into the building with my son, I decided that enough was enough. The me who had been standing there quietly, suddenly yelled, “QUIET!!!” My voice reverberated around the town, and even echoed off the distant mountains. Thank you once again, wind, for helping me. IF this volume didn’t instantly quiet the town, I don’t know what would have. The volume even cause Big Mac to drop the cake, which was fine due to the cloud wrapping. Still speaking loudly, but not yelling anymore, I continued. “I’m sorry if you are upset about my absence, but I can assure you, that I was gone due to circumstances beyond my control. For those who are willing, I will continue to give you lessons, and will even add in two free lessons and a single tricks lesson. If you still want your money back, all I can say is this; I will refund you the full amount, MINUS,” emphases on the ‘minus’, “The amount that a single lesson costs. However I will discount one lesson that was already taught, and refund that ONE,” another emphases, this time on ‘one’, “lesson as well.”

Everypony was silent, not truly expecting me comply so easily. Luckily, only a few ponies stepped forward to claim money. “Are these all the ponies that want a refund? Because when I go to get my appointment book, I will not accept other ponies.” This caused only a few more to step up, but most still stayed where they were. I shortly went home with a few pegasi at my suggestion, grabbed the appointment books, as well as my stash of money, and gave those who stepped forward, the money that I had promised them. I had been thinking of how to solve the problem of my absence since Celestia almost put me in prison, thought of this almost immediately, but didn’t know how to go about doing so. Being called out in front of everypony in Ponyville, certainly helped solve that problem. The money refunding was just something that he had come up with on the spot, and was a little unfortunate for me. But I’m a man of my word.

Will all the ponies who wanted a refund, a total of eight with 368 bits refunded (which nearly wiped out my savings), he attention turned back to the cake, which everypony just now realized that it had fallen. Mr. Cake was in a panic over it, as he couldn’t see the cake still wrapped in cloud. I went over to him and consoled him, “It’s okay, Mr. Cake…”

“It is not okay. My wife and I worked for months on that cake, and now it’s ruined!” he said a little hysteria in his voice.

“Like I was saying, the cake should be fine.” I went to the cake, and undid the box created by the clouds, revealing a cake that looked exactly the same as when it was completed. “The clouds I used to wrap it, will form to almost any shape, and when set, will absorb or hold most anything within reason.” I concluded, packing the cake back up. “Although, I think that once it gets to the train it should be fine, so I will take my cloud back as I need it for construction. That okay with you?”

“Oh yes, that is fine. I don’t know how to repay you for this.”

“You don’t need to repay me. I told you when we first met, I would repay you for giving me cupcakes when I first got here, didn’t I?”

“That seems like so long ago, I guess I had forgotten about it. But are you sure that that is proper payment? I mean, you saved our cake!”

“We are even Mr. Cake. As long as I get my cloud back before the cake leaves, we will be fine, if not, it can wait for a few days. Now if you will excuse me, or you could come as well, I have a filly to spoil for the rest of today.” I started to walk towards his shop, which cleared Mr. Cake’s confusion somewhat.

Entering the store, I noted three things. First was that Jake, or rather Red Wing, had a chocolate cake in front of him, and he was swinging his legs. Second thing was that he wasn’t eating it, but instead, was sitting next to it patiently. The third thing I noticed were the baby unicorn and pegasus being cared for by Mrs. Cake.

“It looks like congratulations on the twins are in order.”

“Thank you,” Mr. and Mrs. Cake said together before Mrs. Cake continued, “Red Wing here is an absolute angle. He absolutely insisted to hold off on that cake until you arrived.”

“Did he now? Well, I think his patience should be rewarded.” A thought occurred to me, ‘He must look up to me more than I originally thought. Wow, I feel good as a father right now. But it is his special day, so we do what he wants.’ “Mr. and Mrs. Cake, I have a small message I would like you to pass onto Pinkie Pie for me, when she returns, would that be okay?”

“Of course it would, after all, you did save the cake we made?” Mr. Cake said, receiving a questioning glance from his wife.

“I thought I said that we were even on with that? Oh well, is it okay if I write the message down, and put it in your mailbox later?” they nodded, “Great! Now I think it’s been a bit long for Red Wing to wait to eat that cake.” And with that, I went and ate cake with my son.