• Published 25th Aug 2013
  • 12,165 Views, 244 Comments

An Apple A Day - Esle Ynopemos



A collection of thirthy-minute short stories about the rootinest, tootinest farm-filly this side of the Everfree. There'll be a chapter a day for thirty days. I ain't no fancy arithmeticker, but that adds up to a whole month of good, health

  • ...
1
 244
 12,165

7: Genesis [Slice of Life]

((Prompt: And I will become the god of this new world.))

At the lip of the valley, she stood. Orange she blazed in the light of the sun as she surveyed her world.

It was empty. New. Waiting for her will to fill it with life. The fertile soil yearned to show her what it could grow. The sturdy bedrock prepared to carry the foundations of her home on its back. The babbling creek danced across the valley, waiting to be tamed with irrigation channels.

She looked at her world, and said, “Let there be trees,” and there were.

They were saplings first, brought with care from the nursery and planted in wide rows that left them plenty of room to grow. Their roots burrowed deep into the ground, and their trunks stretched to the sky, and, with time, care, and her will, there were trees.

“Let there be a house,” she said, and there was.

The wild growth at the edge was cut back. The limbs and boughs were trimmed, and the wood was worked into boards. A foundation was dug deep into the earth, and the mightiest of the trunks cleared formed the sturdy frame of the house. The timber made the walls, and they were painted bright red. From the center of the valley, rising with the trees, came the house.

She looked out upon her trees from her house. The branches were smooth and healthy, full of green leaves. “Let them bear fruit,” she said, and they did.

Bright, beautiful red fruits grew upon the trees. Their branches bent and swayed under the weight of the juicy treats. She walked among them and collected their blessings. She shaped them into meals and feasted.

She looked at the bountiful harvest on her table, and found it surrounded by empty chairs. “Let there be ponies,” she said. And there were.

Her friends and family came from far and wide, and filled the empty spaces at her table. Her house became full of laughter and love, their smiling faces lined the halls, and there were ponies.

She stepped to the window and looked out upon her world. She had her house. She had her trees. She had her fruit. She had her friends and family. And she smiled, for it was good.