• Published 25th Aug 2013
  • 12,171 Views, 244 Comments

An Apple A Day - Esle Ynopemos



A collection of thirthy-minute short stories about the rootinest, tootinest farm-filly this side of the Everfree. There'll be a chapter a day for thirty days. I ain't no fancy arithmeticker, but that adds up to a whole month of good, health

  • ...
1
 244
 12,171

14: Justice Misdelivered [Adventure] [Comedy]

((Prompt: Fluttershy in Prison.))

Carved into the peak of a lone mountain, Fort Glory was one of the largest structures in Griffonia. High walls circled the whole top of the mountain, three miles of thick, nigh-impregnable stone and mortar. Watch towers kept unsleeping vigil from all directions, and flights of griffons patrolled the skies constantly. At its peak capacity, Fort Glory could potentially hold every criminal that ever passed through griffon lands; any other prisons in the nation were only kept open to keep personnel costs low. In all of the prison's history, its walls were only ever breached once.

By a party cannon loaded with dynamite.

“Jailbreak!” screeched Pinkie Pie. Singed pieces of confetti and flash-broiled cake batter clung to the smoking edges of the hole she had just made in the stone wall.

Applejack shook her head to get the ringing to stop. It only worked a little. “All right,” she said as she, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinkie gathered around the breach. “Rainbow, you fly up an' distract the patrols. The more griffons we got in the air, the less there are down here.”

Rainbow gave her a daredevil grin. “I'll fly circles around 'em!” A loud crack of her wings sent her shooting off into the air to buzz the nearest watch tower.

“Rarity, you an' Pinkie follow me. Are ya able to pick locks with them needles?”

Rarity huffed. “I resent the implication that I would have any experience with such a dastardly skill!”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Can you do it or not?”

The unicorn tapped her hooves together. “Perhaps I have toyed with a padlock or two... just as a pastime, mind you, dear.”

“Okay,” Applejack said, tipping her hat down low. “This way. Let's bust Fluttershy loose an' get outta here!”

Sirens wailed as the three of them charged across the yard. Inmates gathered around the gap to make a break for it while the ponies stole into the facility. Once inside, they dashed through the corridors, their hooves echoing off the stone as they checked each cell block.

“Fluttershy? Are you in here?” Pinkie called.

A large griffon raised a manacled talon. “My name's Fluttershy.”

Another griffon stood up. “No, I'm Fluttershy!”

“Me! Take me! I'm the one you're looking for!” The cell block broke into a riot as the inmates argued over which of them was most like a small yellow pegasus.

Pinkie shrugged at Applejack and Rarity. They kept moving.

The door to the warden's office slammed open under the force of Applejack's hooves. Four ponies rushed in—Rainbow Dash had rejoined them a moment ago. Inside, Fluttershy paused, teacup halfway to her lips. “Girls?”

The warden stood up from his desk. “What is the meaning of this?” he demanded.

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow cried. “We're here to rescue you!”

Fluttershy blinked and set her teacup down. “R-rescue me?”

“We got a letter from Twilight,” said Applejack. “It said you were in prison here!”

“Have no fear, darling,” said Rarity. “Orange is a terrible color for your complexion, we would never let you suffer that!”

Fluttershy's eyes flickered between her friends. “Oh dear.” She gave the warden an apologetic shake of her head. “I'm sorry, Gabriel. I think there's been a misunderstanding.”

“You bet there's been a misunderstanding,” shouted Pinkie. “How could you throw a pony as cute and adorable and nice as Fluttershy into prison?”

“No one threw me in prison, girls,” said Fluttershy. “Twilight asked me to come here and check up on the place, make sure they're treating their guests humanely.”

The room was quiet for a moment. Applejack threw her hat down on the floor. “Dagnabit, Dash, I told you this was a bad idea!”

“That would explain why Twilight didn't sound very concerned in her note,” Rarity said, putting a hoof to her chin. “I did think it rather odd that she mentioned it in between a remark on the weather in Canterlot and the dinner she had the other night ago.”

The warden's eyebrow twitched. “Well, I was going to show you on a tour, Fluttershy, but perhaps your friends would prefer a first-hand demonstration.”