• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 2,171 Views, 92 Comments

Nightmares Don't End When You Wake Up - JustAnotherTimeLord



Luna has been in Canterlot for a week so far, finally settling down and trying to get used to modern society. But a simple task may prove to be nearly impossible.

  • ...
11
 92
 2,171

Once More Into the Fray

Orange flames splashed light across the walls of the old Art Chamber deep within Canterlot castle, casting deep shadows to the farthest corners of the room. Laughing and smiling school fillies ran through the chamber during the day, much to the annoyance of common tourists or art admirers. At night, though, it was eerily silent and dark.

The paintings themselves were nothing special to the average passerby, simply colours within the confines of a simple wood border. They were plastered throughout school textbooks, much to the bane of older fillies and colts bored to death in classrooms, and were common knowledge to the populous. But to one pony, they were more than just simple combinations of paint on pieces of paper. They were scenes of history, whether they be a rainbow garden of flowers on a sunny day, or a dark storm with swirling clouds, illuminated by flashes of lightning; they all depicted the advancement of artistic style.

Luna walked along a far wall from the doorway across the chamber, glancing at the famous paintings hanging on the wall in the flickering light. She stopped at one painting in particular, her eyes widening in awe before she glanced the artist’s name on the plaque below the magic-infused glass: Trotcent van Gogh. It was an intriguing painting, depicting Canterlot mountain during midday with swirling colours of white and gold.

To the normal art admirer, it was the epitome of the era of art it came from: impressionism at its best. To Luna, it gave her mixed feelings: shock, sadness, and intrigue. She had never seen art like this one thousand years ago. It was always strictly of noble-stallions and noble-mares, if it wasn’t of the princesses. They focussed on being exact and precise, recording their faces in portraiture to be immortalized forever. There was no room for feeling and personality.

This astonished Luna, but it also filled her with sadness. Even in her absence, it seemed that the day was favoured. There was not a single picture depicting a beautiful night, and the only painting she saw that involved night was one of her as Nightmare Moon.

Luna moved on to the next painting, this one being far more realistic than the last. It depicted a large city in flames, with soldiers clad in armour and civilians running away from the raging inferno. And, like devils coming from the depths of Tartarus, griffons were flying above, some casting down hellfire from a distance, shrouded partially in smoke, and some chasing down those trying to flee.

It was a horrific sight, and Luna had to stop to take in what she was seeing.

Why? H-How? she thought, staring at the picture with agape astonishment. War was far from the precipice of Luna’s mind, even while being insane. Never once had relations with the griffons degraded into . . . this.

The looks of horror were beautifully captured with the artistry, or so Luna would have thought had she known the war had happened before. She walked closer to the painting, looking at the plaque in front that gave the name and date of the painting.

“Fires Above Baltimare (551-552 C.R.) was painted by Perfect Blend fifty years after the war, epitomizing the height of the Roamantic era. Blend is known for painting extremely controversial paintings, from war to erotica, which places him as one of the more brazen artists of the 5th century.”

Luna looked up at the painting once more, her facial features under wrap but her emotions not. Inside, she was torn, a torrential battle of swirling emotions. No matter the reason, she would never have allowed this to happen.

She turned away, head down, and moved on through the art exhibit with less enthusiasm than she had when she entered the chamber. She skipped exhibit after exhibit, finding less interest in their intrinsic value as she went along.

Many times before, she had thought of war. It was more of a musing idea, not a contingent one. She knew that many other species had gone to war before, but their lands were far too distant to have any effect. But ponies and griffons going to war . . .

She decided to chance out of her stupor to look at the painting that was currently in front of her. She read the plaque first, hoping to be able to judge if it was worth a look before she decided to look at it.

“Her Majesty (334-336 C.R.) was painted by Royal Blue, a Maroque-era artist with a focus on portraiture. He is known for his paintings depicting royalty. Specifically, this art piece was commissioned by Princess Celestia herself.”

Luna looked up. There, enframed in ornately carved wood, was Princess Celestia. She sat on a purple cushion with emblazoned golden trims, her mane flowing seamlessly. She had her snout pointed away, her brows furrowed and her eyes set. It was topped off by her jewel-studded, gleaming and golden crown set atop her head. Overall, the painting aired a semblance of absolute authority, like a queen.

That can’t be her. . . . This isn’t her. This would never be her. She turned around and closed her eyes, trying to make sense of what she saw.

Still in denial, are you?

“No, things have changed. This art proves nothing. It only shows the past but not the present,” Luna said through clenched teeth.

Played so easily into her hoof. Does she not currently rule by herself? Do the ponies not give her their full subservience?

Luna paused for a moment. “She has ruled for a thousand years. They have only known her.”

And that most certainly did not stop her from commissioning art to capture her brilliance.

Luna had had enough. With the force of pure will, she buried the voice from speaking, smothering it from her conscience. She was done with it.

Luna opened her eyes and began the trek back to her room. She went through the hallways within the castle, lit by torches on the wall and the light from her moon. She ascended stairway after stairway before she finally reached her bedroom, high in the towers above Canterlot.

Her room had been kept tidy this entire time, a fact that she had been amazed by when she had finally returned to it a week before. Celestia had said that she had cleaned it for centuries now. She walked across the room and to her balcony, stopping at the edge and staring out across the city.

The city looked beautiful at night. She always loved the way the moon seemed to show Canterlot’s inherent beauty more than the sun did. And this balcony provided the perfect view of the brilliance that the city had to offer.

She remembered how it had once looked, so many years ago. It had barely been a small settlement before both she and her sister had gotten to it. They transformed it from a small village into a large town. It became the center of commerce at that time, everyone coming from all around to buy the goods that Canterlot had to offer.

It had also been an intellectual gathering spot before Luna was banished. Advancements in learning and the arts had been made in leaps and bounds here, and with this, guilds and theatres and opera houses had been made. And during the night, it was especially festive.

But this Canterlot seemed to lack that aspect. It was a beautiful sight, but it had changed drastically. The nobility seemed to have taken control, and what was left of the lower members of society made a meager living at best. Everyone else had decided to move on to other places, so it seemed.

Luna spread her wings and took to the skies, flying at a leisurely pace. She had once loved to do this to get her mind off of things, whether it be due to stress or otherwise. It was especially pleasing to fly at night over the old Canterlot, being able to see the late night hustle and bustle.

Tonight, though, it was silent, not a soul wandering the streets and few lights on.

Do you even need to wonder why?

Luna was jolted from her thoughts, falling a few feet before regaining altitude once again. “Ponies always slept through my night. It was you who twisted my mind to think they hated it.”

Those who do not relish it obviously do not enjoy it, you impudent fool. It was I who showed you the truth, and you only now turn away due to that mare’s ‘Elements of Harmony.’

“No, you are wrong. You always have been. It is thanks to the Elements that I have the clarity to see through your deception.” Luna’s voice raised in intensity. “You had once given me power, but no longer do I have need of it! Now, be gone, ye foul wretch, and find another to mold to your will!”

Silence.

Luna gave a sigh of relief, and then decided to land on a castle turret. She had grown tired of the voice that intangibly inhabited her mind. At a time, she had welcomed it, but she was no longer the mentally vulnerable mare she once was.

Luna decided to lay down, giving her a chance to rest her weary mind. She gazed up at the stars, looking at them for the first time that night. She knew each and every one of those stars, and she remembered each time she moved them. All of the constellations were of her creation, made more out of boredom than of whim. It was an art that she was proud of, especially when ponies picked out the patterns.

This was the feeling she had yearned for, one that even a week after returning she seemed to have never achieved until now: serenity. Ever since she had come back from Nightmare Moon and Ponyville, the transition was . . . less than pristine. Ponies looked at her with scornful eyes, and others tried their best to avoid going within thirty feet of her.

Time had also taken its toll on Canterlot. More buildings have been built, the vernacular went from eloquent Equestrian to a more perverted form of it, and the city was filled with a snobbish, nose-up-in-the-air nobility. She has been trying to make up for her absence by going through art exhibits and museums that depicted the vibrant history of Equestria, but with the angry glares from the public and her distance from the people of Equestria, she has had a constant pit in her stomach.

She gave a contented sigh, allowing the stress to cascade off of her like a waterfall. If she could stay like this forever, she would do so in a heartbeat.

You sicken me with your petty little happiness.

Luna gasped, her eyes widening and heart skipping a beat. She then exhaled her held breath and clenched her teeth.

“Was I not clear before? I am done with you! The Elements have given me the power to live without you, and that is what I plan on doing. So leave me alone!”

The voice gave a chuckle. If you insist, Princess. Maybe this shall teach you the valuable lesson that it seems words cannot: nothing has changed.

Luna gave a perplexed look at the air, like looking at a problem with no noticeable answer.

Then, she felt it. The presence within her mind slowly stripped itself away. She could feel the tendrils slowly slip away, something that she should feel happy for. But she wasn’t. It was like she her soul was being ripped in two while being forced to witness the event. Tears welled up in her eyes, and she mentally tried to hold on to the presence. She was able to frantically grasp for it, but it was slipping away too fast. There was no way to keep hold. She began pleading, begging, crying for it to stay. She was wrong. She needed the Nightmare.

But it was too late. The ephemeral presence disappeared, and she could feel the vacuum within her soul. She felt . . . broken, like a plate that cracked and lost a piece of itself. Without the Nightmare to be there for her, what would she do?

Luna collapsed, her head falling between her hooves as she stared at the ground. Her eyes were wide, and she her breaths came in slow and ragged. Soon, the tears began to fall like the beginning of a thunderstorm. One drop, two drops, four . . .

And the plate then fell apart.

Author's Note:

And the adventure begins! Thank you, reader, for looking at this, and expect more to come. I have big things planned for this story, and cannot wait to get them out there. I would like to once again thank The Albinocorn, RavensDagger, PaxBellorum, Kwakerjak, Page Turner, Frederick the Saiyan, Icarus_Gizmo, Blackbelt, ToixStory, and IridescentDash DandE for prereading this chapter. Now, shall we get ready for the next chapter? ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

EDIT: Thanks to The Albinocorn, PaxBellorum, RavensDagger, and eventually Frederick the Saiyan for prereading this chapter rewrite. And thanks, readers, for being awesome. Now, Equestria Daily we go!