• Published 23rd Aug 2013
  • 6,650 Views, 651 Comments

Sweetie Belle Gains a Soul - Bad Dragon



In her darkest hour, Sweetie Belle finds salvation, but it comes with a terrible curse.

  • ...
45
 651
 6,650

05 - The Tale of Tenacious Grandma

Author's Note:

Don't forget to participate in the Comment section minigames when you're done reading this chapter.

You may also revel in the Dramatic Youtube reading that is available for this chapter.

GDoc

I ran as if my life depended on it. “Rarity! Rarity!”

I hadn’t learned anything in school because I’d been imagining how Rarity would teach me the gem-finding spell, and I’d be so good at it, I’d earn a cutie mark for it right then and there, and she would be so proud of me. And then there would be a party, and Pinkie Pie would bake cupcakes, and all my friends would be there...

Rarity opened the front door, interrupting my realistic plans. She didn’t seem too happy to see me.

It looked as if she was mentally preparing herself for the gem-finding lesson. Some time ago, I had heard her say that it’s hard to teach me anything. I wasn’t about to get picky. Even if she wasn’t the best of teachers, she was my sister, and that made her my favorite tutor, despite her disabilities.

Through a window, I noticed a white figure inside the boutique. She glanced at me then moved to the doorway. I gasped and quickened up my pace.

The door opened with a creak. Rarity leaned back her head as her teeth clenched. Her horn glowed.

I jumped at her for a power hug.

A translucent, blue wall appeared in the doorway between me and her.

I closed my eyes and braced for impact. The sensitive part of my muzzle hit the shield first. Luckily, it wasn’t as hard as I feared it would be. The magic construct bent inward, slowing me down gradually. When I stopped flying forward, I slid down, leaving muddy hoof marks on the magic wall. The force field straightened itself again and gracefully ejected me. I landed safely on all four legs.

“Sweetie Belle! Where are your manners?”

I ruffled my mane then turned back and lifte my tail with a forehoof. “I didn’t bring them with me,” I excused myself because I didn’t even know what the point of manners, decency and other self-evident things was. Rarity had told me on many occasions that I shouldn’t just barge into a house without knocking. I tried to teach her by example that there are more fun ways of entering than following an unamusing protocol. If you knock, you then have to wait for an invitation, and that’s really boring. She was too dense, though, and never learned the benefits of just barging in.

My way of doing things was foiled, and I was left with only the dull way. After lifting a forehoof, I tried to tap on the magic door, but the shield dissipated before I could. I didn’t want to fail at it again, so I waved the hoof in the air, pretending to be knocking.

Rarity raised an eyebrow while she gazed at me. Her mouth was agape as if she wanted to say something, but no words came out.

I tried to enter again, but a broom and a dustpan engulfed with magic crossed my path.

The broom swept the dirt that had fallen from the force field on the doorway, sweeping it into the dustpan.

My hooves were still muddy and fur dirty. The mud bath I took in the morning on the way to school might have contributed a little to that. I wondered what the point of having a coat was if it kept getting filthy. It sometimes took days before all the dirt fell off by itself. And on some occasions, even days weren’t enough because new dirt found its way onto my fur again. Several ponies in my life, including Rarity, Cheerilee who was my better but less favorite teacher, and parents, had fearlessly fought the dirt in my coat in the past, but they all, more or less, gave up since then. They won many battles, but never the war. They only still put up the fight from time to time, so they didn’t have to admit that they lost. I took a step back, so the broom wouldn’t mistake me for dirt.

“Can we get to it now?” I jumped up and down, getting ready for another attempt at hugging Rarity, after which we could start our planned training. I just needed to hold myself back until the broom was put away.

“It will have to wait.” She looked left and right from the doorway, then levitated the dustpan to Tom. Both items were laid down as she spread her legs and tightened her muscles. A bright aura engulfed the boulder. When the keeper of the filthy treasure rolled to the side, the accumulated pile of compressed dust revealed itself.

The dustpan floated to it, and the dirt from it joined a dome made of the same kind of material. Rarity levitated the broom and dustpan inside her boutique in a corner of the hallway. A bright blue aura enveloped Tom, and Rarity’s precious rolled on the hidden hill that was formed over many moons since sis brought the boulder home, for some reason. She turned to me, speaking through her clenched teeth, “You need a bath!”

“But I want to do it now!” I thumped a forehoof on the ground in frustration. She was in denial, fighting a losing war. “Can’t we do it instead of bathing?” The dirt on me would just respawn and no amount of struggle could slay it permanently.

“After the bath!” A glow enveloped me, and I flowed into the hallway toward the bathroom. I hated the times when she abused her powers on me. A hoof rebounded when it hit the translucent prison. “I can walk just fine on my own, you know?” When I tried to gallop in the opposite direction, the bubble rolled around, not letting me stray away from my wet destiny. There’d been a time when thrashing around in the bubble barrier would break it. Since then, she had learned to counter that by thickening her shield. It was useless to struggle. I relaxed my muscles and gave in to the approaching future that had been set upon me.

Rarity broke the silence. “So, how was school today?”

“I think Diamond Tiara hates me! Well, I did mess up when I tried to move forward. I guess I should have kept myself back. Maybe she’s right, and I really am evil…”

“Don’t you dare think that way, Sweetie Belle!” She thumped a hoof on the floor, and the force field got tighter. It was best to not respond to her, or she could get triggered even more. She quickly recovered and loosened the surrounding magic field. I exhaled with relief.

She continued. “Nopony has a valid reason to hate us. And even when they do go as far as to talk behind your back, it is most prudent if you pretend not to hear them. Some of the plebeians just can’t seem to be able to get over their jealousy of our heritage. That’s all there is to the discrepancy, and I’m sure they will accept the prospects of our noble bloodline in due time.”

“Heritage?” I asked quietly, so she wouldn’t feel threatened, again.

“Haven’t mother, or father, talked with you about this?”

I shook my head. “They don’t really talk to me much.” It was why I always liked to hang around my sis’s boutique than at my own home. At least she acknowledged my existence, sometimes.

“Well, you should most certainly hear it from us than from anypony else.” Guided by Rarity’s magic, the bathroom door opened, making me gulp nervously.

I didn’t like being alone with Rarity in the bathroom. I preferred open spaces that would allow me to escape if I felt the need for it. Worst of all, she seemed to be getting ready for one of her tedious monologues.

“Despite our penchant towards entrepreneurial thinking, the animosity towards our ancestors blemishes our family reputation,” Rarity spoke in tongues.

I sighed. Here we go again...

“Because we are more sapient and can reason beyond the norms of society. We are capable of making distinct choices. Though some decisions may not be as honorable as others, they are all made with determination and resolve.”

I couldn’t even comprehend most of the words she spewed out. Her speech impairment must have been acting up again. Sometimes she just spoke random words that probably didn’t even exist. When she had done that around other ponies, the smart ones had usually pretended to understand her dribble by nodding their heads. I was still angry because my magic training got delayed, and I also didn’t feel like nodding all the time. Instead, I used Scootaloo’s tactic for defying boredom. After closing my eyes, I allowed my imagination to carry me to a magical land of two-legged monsters.

“...The harder the obstacles in our way, the more we can push ourselves to achieve our goals...”

The surrounding, wrapping magic barrier dissipated, and I was dropped in the bath. To escape my real life, I self-inserted myself into my imagination. After waking up from a bad reality, I looked around the mystical land. It was teaming with bipedal creatures. I supposedly had no memory of how I got there. That saved me from having to come up with a cumbersome backstory for myself. The place was dirty with various trash, so I decided to call it planet Dirt.

From the background, Rarity continued talking to herself. Even with both ears pointing away from her and my mind elsewhere, it was hard to ignore her babble. “I have overheard ponies; and not by actively eavesdropping on them, mind you; speak of our reputation as prideful, and swaggering.”

That was it. She was speaking a different language entirely.

“Though we have many things to be exultant about, those rumors are predominantly a fallout of our higher-class origins. These simpletons out here stuck up their snouts to anypony coming from Canterlot.”

Trying to understand her dribble would just give me a headache at best and insanity at the worst. I flopped my ears so I could dismiss her meaningless expressions with less effort.

In my imaginary place, I looked upon a city of tall buildings built with the power of technology. In the distance, I saw the monsters. They pointed their tentacled hooves at me and talked to each other with their small muzzles. All the while, they held an unnatural position on their hind legs without even having a tail of any kind to help them balance which was against the rules of reality, but anything goes in fantasy. I couldn’t see what kind of fur they had because they were all covered with many layers of clothing. It was probably because their coats had an ugly color or maybe—they didn’t have any! I gasped at the last ghastly thought.

“Their bigotry is so potent that they would speak in this tone even about Twilight Sparkle. The ignorance! She’s no true Canterlotian. Have you seen how carelessly she eats? I’d dare to say that even some animals have better table manners than she does. Her behavior lacks pride and sophistication. The sort I possess in ample amount!” She struck a power-pose, standing on her hind legs, lifting a foreleg in the air, and pointing to her chest with the other. Her eyes lingered on the empty ceiling.

In my pretend world, there were dark wires above me, leading toward the city. Pure energy traveled through them. I didn’t even bother making up how that worked because that was sciency stuff. The whole point of science is that its mystical and can’t be fully understood. It’s not like magic which is precise and real. If something is science, you don’t have to excuse it any further than that. But if it’s magic, you do have to explain it because magic doesn’t just work by itself like technology does.

Rarity persisted in the statue-like stance until she lost her balance and dropped back to all four. “I don’t see what Princess Celestia saw in Twilight, who didn’t exhibit even the basics of what’s truly important in royal circles.” Her legs gracefully carried her closer to the bath. “Perception is everything!”

“You know Twilight deserved to be Celestia’s student, right?” I hated her random jealousy outbursts.

“But of course she did. Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle is better than I in every way possible, is she not?” She half-closed her eyes and opened the hot water.

I slid to the back of the bathtub to avoid getting burned. That was something my made up universe couldn’t protect me from. It was time to escape it and fend off reality myself. If I just left Dirt be, it could keep distracting me in the real world, so I had to put an end to the fantasy trip. I imagined bright flashes of light all over the technological planet, annihilating every monster living there. It served them right for being so ugly! Even though they tried to cover themselves under piles of clothes, they were still atrocious to imagine.

Rarity finally opened the cold water valve a bit.

With my fantasy coming to a happy ending, the bad reality fully dawned on me. I perked up both ears and looked around.

The steam from the jet of water toned down a little but was still adding itself to the fog that had formed in the bathroom. She tested the joint flow of hot and cold water with a hoof. The marshmallow limb jerked back as soon as it got wet. I expected her to turn open the cold water valve a bit more, but she just smiled with satisfaction, instead. The water crept closer. Soon, not even the far side of the bath would be safe from its evil wet reach.

“There is more to our inheritance than merely coming from Canterlot, I’d have you know. It’s the inner drive that helped us secure the prestigious place in high society. It’s something that most members of our family were born with. Those who have it can lock their mind on a goal and persist until they achieve it. We can be unwavering and accomplish things that other ponies wouldn’t even dare to dream of.

“No closed door was ever a match for our persistence and ingenuity. When there’s something that needs doing, we don’t succumb to distractions. All the plans get fulfilled, despite the hardships and dangers that may follow. We can trample our own wants and desires if they stand in the path to our goal. It’s this heritage that allows us to be great and extraordinary!”

I put both forelegs on the top of the bath and lifted my flank up so that only my hind hooves stayed on the ceramic surface. Water engulfed them.

“The family mostly acknowledged the boundaries that other ponies didn’t want crossed. There was no need to break the rules. It was more beneficial to make the system work for us than to struggle against its curents. We’ve always been good at finding cracks in the established norms of society to further our goals.”

With a swing of a hoof, she shoved both forehooves from the edge, making me crash croup-first on the bottom of the bath. “Hey!” I yelped, then immediately gasped when the heat spread across my barrel. I waved all four legs in the air and shuffled my withers to the side of the bath. I rolled across my side and onto my hooves again. The burning sensation on my loins dissipated a little when it was above the surface. My mane fell over my eyes because the water made it heavy. I swung my head back and tossed the wet locks behind my ears to free my vision.

“Cease your squirting!” Her horn glowed, and a dome of magic sprang on top of the bathtub. I pressed all four hooves on both walls of the bath and raised myself against the translucent ceiling.

Rarity looked down on me from above and continued her self-dialogue. “That worked for our ancestors, securing the family a place at the top. But then the event with grandma Night Foam turned the tables around.”

My ears perked. “I never heard of her!” I clenched my teeth because of the strains. The water churned below me in a sinister way.

“Most ponies of the younger generation haven’t. The informed ones would mostly prefer to forget about her. Night Foam was the most ambitious member of the family. She was a master of manipulation, and deception—a jewel among her siblings. She enforced her status in the society early on, making the family very proud of her. The aspiring hotshot’s influence was on the rise since she was a filly like you.”

I watched the water surface creep up toward my hooves.

“The inheritance was strong with her. She was incredible at taking control of her destiny. Not once did she hesitate in making decisions. No obstacle stood in her way for long. She could push herself right to the brink of her capabilities.

The steam burned my lungs every time I took in a breath. I pushed myself to the edge of the bathtub to fend off the hotness. She really should have opened the cold water valve some more. I looked at Rarity. “If there was more—”

“Indeed, she wanted more. Instead of fortifying, and taking advantage of the position she had achieved, as most of our family had, she craved for more.” Rarity gazed out through the window. “The enviable high status was not enough for her. She wouldn’t settle for anything less than being best pony. In her blind ambition, she took advantage of some less commendable means to achieve her goals. Deviations from societal norms can lead to a dire lash back, that’s why our family never approved of such methods. Unfortunately, she didn’t value anything besides her own power level, so we couldn’t manipulate her to stay in line.

Her aim wasn’t just to rise within the ranks of the society but above life itself. She shut herself evermore from everypony around, spending increasingly more time in her basement with arcane books and experiments.”

My hooves were sunk in the water. The burning heat slowly crept up my legs. “Help?”

“Yes. Our family opted to help her, but she wouldn’t even hear of an intervention. She sought to be self-sufficient and turned a deaf ear to any outside reasoning. She was told that raw experimentation was below her stature. Her response to our relatives’ concerns was that they were the ones below her level and that she wouldn’t be held back by them anymore. After that, none of them was ever allowed in her house again. The front door remained locked, even when the candlelight from her basement window clearly indicated she was home. There was never a response when somepony came to visit her. Only once did she open the door for anypony. She had no choice. One does not simply send Royal Guards away when they make a formal visit to one’s house.”

“What did she do?” I gulped.

“Well, nothing, probably. Maybe. The thing was, a few ponies from her ministry failed to show up to work. The guards searched for them through Canterlot in vain. They questioned your grandma because she was their supervisor. However, at that stage, it was more of a formal title than her actual occupation. Her duties were all but neglected by that time. In response to their inquiry, she claimed not to know anything about the disappearance and that they were useless anyway. A requisition for new administrators was sent out with her hoof-print the very same day.”

“Once favorable relations in Canterlot tensed up. Our entire family was being whispered about. The odd looks of suspicious ponies followed us everywhere. As if things weren’t bad enough, a great tragedy struck not long after. In the middle of the night, a loud explosion woke up everypony in the city. Where Night Foam’s house once stood, only green fire raged within the crater.”

Rarity’s horn glowed brighter, and the magic dome before her straightened, pushing me down. I pressed against the edge of the bathtub with everything I had, but all four hooves were wet and didn’t have enough traction on the smooth surface of the bathtub. I slowly drifted down into the hot water. It burned a bit, but I didn’t feel it as much since the steam already burnt the rest of my body.

“When they put out the fire, they found your grandma still alive among the rubble. Her coat burnt off along with her skin. She was covered only with cauterized flesh as she lay in the middle of the crater. There was nothing anypony could do for her at that point.”

My hooves gave way. I hoped that I would not meet the same faith as my grandma. A crater formed in the steaming water when my body splashed through it.

When I surfaced with a squeak, she added. “Your parents came to the site when they pulled her out of the rubble. Dad told me that with her last breath she said, ‘I could have lived forever!’”

“They never proved that she had anything to do with the disappearance of the ponies from her office, but rumors spread on their own. They talked about her as if she had used ponies in her fringe experiments. To this day, they couldn’t come up with any conclusive evidence to back up their unfounded claims.

“Mere rumors can still have dire consequences. Canterlot gradually turned into a tough place to live in for our family. The circles where we prospered before began to shun our presence, shutting us out of the elite circle. In the end, the entire family was driven out of Canterlot. Our parents were deeply traumatized by the whole event. They wanted to settle down somewhere quiet and peaceful. At the time, Ponyville seemed to fit the bill. When your father laid his eyes on the house beside the pond, he looked no further. It was to be the new home for this branch of the family.”

The burning sensation of the water lost its intensity and didn’t bother me as much anymore. The magic ceiling above me dissipated to make way for a floating brush. I shook my head when I looked at Rarity. “I can just use my hooves.” I rubbed one foreleg with the other.

“But of course, darling. You can do that while I clean you up the proper way.” The flying brush slid along my spine. I shifted my shoulders back and clenched my teeth. I made a mental note to replace Rarity’s brushes with the ones Fluttershy used for Angel Bunny. After that, I made another mental note to remember the first one.

The savage brush took another swing on my coat, making me lose my train of thought. I hissed at it and banged both forehooves on the sides of the bathtub. I made yet another mental note to try to remember what it was that I was trying to remember before Rarity distracted me with her cleaning attacks. I was sure it would come back to me eventually. Along with my high intelligence, I also possessed an impeccable memory.

I felt something cold under my mane as if a snowpony was feeling me out. The touchy thing drifted across my shoulders, and down my chest. I was probably approaching the boiling point, and that’s why the room temperature objects felt as cold as ice. The magic imbued soap slipped across my belly, diving through the surface, between my hind legs. Another brush joined the team of flying cleaning objects. It chafed down my back and along the sensitive dock.

“Ouch!” I tried to put a forehoof on the sore spot, but couldn’t reach it. “Rarity, why do you have to be so rough?”

“I’m many things, but ruffian I am not! Do you know what being rough would look like?”

Her provoked form made me swallow my saliva. I loosened my body and bowed my head because I knew that wasn’t even her final form. If I wanted to prevent the further transformation, I had to stop provoking her. “I’ll be quiet.”

I sat there in the bathtub clenching my teeth while she worked her magic on me.


“There, we’re all done. Don’t you feel renewed now?”

All I felt was sore! The worst part was behind me, though. I’ve added the latest ordeal to my pile of repressed memories so I wouldn’t have to think about it anymore.

With thinking out of the way, it was time to earn my cutie mark. “Are we done? Can you teach me the gem-finding spell now?” I blurted out.

She lifted both eyebrows. “Of course not.”

My jaw dropped.

“You’re not capable of performing a spell of such magnitude.”

I stood up in the bath and gazed at her. A squeak was all that managed to escape my wide open mouth.

“You need to grow up a bit, and then we’ll see.”

My eyes teared up. She was being mean and not helpful at all! I twitched when she lay her hoof on my shoulder, but I didn’t really put up a fight. All the energy that I saved by not listening at school was already washed away from me. I had been so hopeful that she’d be on the same team with my latest scheme, but instead, she decided to work against me yet again.

“The spell is much too dangerous.” She drew closer and calmly continued. “The horns in our family are fragile, and it usually takes time before magic starts flowing through them properly. You don’t want to damage your horn by rushing the magic through it. Besides the obvious Unicorn hardships, there are also dangers in gem-hunting itself. Have I told you about the mean diamond dogs and what they did to me?”

The way I had heard it, they’d given her carts full of gems. Calling them mean made no sense. She was the mean one! “But in the morning, you said you’d teach it to me!”

She took a step back and thumped a hoof against the floor. “I said no such thing!”

Tears drifted across my face. “You did, too! You did!” She was mean and wrong, but I knew very well that I couldn’t win the fight. Not against Rarity. She was much too stubborn to give in. Still, I couldn’t just take her abuse and let her play me out like that. I clenched my teeth and waved a forehoof on the surface, spraying water droplets at her.

She leaned back and covered her face with a forehoof “Sweetie Belle!”

I jumped out of the bathtub and drifted out to the hallway. Her company was unbearable! I was better off without.

She yelled after me “But darling, I still need to rub you dry!”

I decided not to listen to her anymore. Just being around her was off-putting. With both ears pointed forward, I ran to the exit. When I made it out of the evil boutique, I stopped in my tracks. After leaning on both forelegs, I bucked at the wood with both hind legs. The door shut with a cracking sound accompanying the bang.

By kicking with my left and right hind leg alternately, I tried to throw a bunch of dirt on the door, but most of it just clutched to my wet hooves. There was no time left for the mud graffiti. I had to go before Rarity would decide to punish me with another bath. I kind of needed it because my hooves were all muddy, but I didn’t even care about that. She had to know I was being stubborn!

I broke into a gallop, so she wouldn’t be able to reach me with her magic if she tried to catch me.

There was no destination before me. I just tried to outrun the hurt but was unsuccessful at that. Dark clouds slowly gathered, and not just on my mind but all over the sky. I looked up to see if it was Rainbow Dash expressing her jealousy, but she wasn’t the one pushing the clouds. They were moving in on their own.