• Published 21st Aug 2013
  • 19,194 Views, 168 Comments

Solar Child - Bakmah Genesis



Twenty years before the Elements of harmony, before Nightmare Moon's Return, Celestia started a whole new slew of problems and headaches for herself and the ones around her. Thankfully Cadence doesn't mind foalsitting.

  • ...
101
 168
 19,194

Chapter Two

Solar Child

Chapter Two

Written by Bakmah Genesis

Edited by Knight of Cerebus

It was a logical decision, was it not? Put the foal and the crib in the room of the mother, for easier access and better protection from the evils of the night. Celestia believed this was a good choice over any. It was her daughter, after all.

Oh, how she regretted her choice.

The alabaster alicorn sighed deeply. She rocked the crying filly in her forelegs, her wails of discomfort ringing through Celestia’s sleepy mind. It was amazing to her how, despite all of her wisdom and knowledge picked up from millenniums of living, she couldn’t handle a single filly of her own flesh and blood.

“What is it, Little One?” asked Celestia softly, hoping that Twilight would explain to her the reason for her infernal crying. The only response was the lavender filly turning to her side, wailing while and reaching towards Celestia’s belly. “I don’t understand wha-oh… you want that.” A blush crossed the princess's cheeks when she realized the foals needs.

She had fed her own foal on multiple occasions, but it was still a foreign feeling to her. It sent odd shivers down her spine just thinking about feeding the foal. Celestia let out a sigh before bringing the filly to it's target and wrapping the blanket over it. She doubted she was going to get much sleep.


A yawn tore its way out of Celestia's maw while dragging herself and the filly down towards the dining hall. Twilight cooing softly to herself in her foal carrier, fascinated by the world around her. The lavender filly scanned her surroundings with big eyes, her wings fluttering while she tried to release herself of the carrier's grasp.

Celestia looked back at the movement and smiled softly. "I’ll let you down to explore later, Twilight. Mommy needs food first." Almost to emphasize the point, a low growl escaped from her stomach. She blushed lightly, continuing on her way to the Dining Hall.

It is rather unbelievable how my appetite has grown post-foal. I do hope this ends at some point. thought the alabaster alicorn. With a small burst of magic, she opened the doors to the dining hall for her personal access.

Cadence sat at the table --her mane a tangled mess-- drinking a cup of coffee. Upon seeing her aunt, she put a small smile on her face. “Sleep well last night, Auntie Tia?”

“You’ve never raised a foal, obviously.” grunted Celestia, levitating Twilight into her highchair. “She woke up twice last night. The first time I had to change her diaper, the second was because she needed feeding.” A yawn tore its way out of her maw. “Thankfully, this only lasts for a little while. It would kill me if she did this all the time.”

The pink alicorn nodded, levitating a second cup towards her aunt. “Better drink up, Tia. You have that press conference in a few hours.” The alabaster alicorn groaned.

“News ponies really are bothersome. They hear a few rumors of the castle staff being unusually active one night, and a few sightings of a filly in the halls and then they think some huge scandal is going on in these walls.” Celestia took a sip of her coffee to give herself a pause. “I never knew why they were needed.”

“Well, they aren’t too far off, Tia.” pointed out Cadance. “Technically, it is illegal for the Captain of the Guard to have sexual relationships with the Princess. And considering Twilley, it would very well seem like those illegal relationships took place.”

“And if the public found out, Twilight Sparkle would be dishonorably discharged from beyond the grave, tarnishing the Sparkle Family name. We have good relations with currently, and it would be ideal to keep it that way.” finished Celestia bitterly. “Both Twilight and I knew what would happen if the public found out, and we have been searching for ways around it for years. Only her family knew of our relations. Her sister was more than okay with the relationship.” She chuckled. “Because she was probably more focused on the fact that she would become a noble.”

Cadence chuckled. “Twilight Velvet can be a little greedy from time to time.” The alicorn looked over at the filly next to Celestia. Twilight was sucking on the bottle that Celestia was levitating in front of her. “She won’t have an easy life, will she?”

Celestia sighed, setting down her cup. “She is the bastard child of the Princess of Equestria and the Late Captain of the Guard. Her sister is also a bastard child and a medical miracle and will more than likely have medical complications due to her birth. There is no doubt her life will be hell.” She cast a small smile towards her daughter. “But if my sister and I could handle it, she and her sister can.”

“Yes, and you would have done a lot worse these past few years if I wasn’t here to save your flank all the time.” said Quill when she entered the room, staring at a clipboard that floated in front of her. “Damn. Seems like every reporter from the Equestria Daily to small town newspapers are here. Like to make big entrances, don’t you?” asked the mare, looking at the small filly.

“It must be a curse in the family to be center of attention.” Celestia chuckled. “What are the rumors circling the conference so far?”

“Some are expecting you to come out and say the sighted foal is yours. Well, aren’t they in for a surprise? The rest are a mixture of hoping you deny it, some believing you will come out that you have had an affair with a guard, thinking the child is a changeling spy posing as a long lost royal. It just gets more ridiculous from there.” She huffed, tossing the clipboard on the table. “Have I told you that the press is a cancerous vulture?”

“Every press conference that I have attended, my dear. Each time you are more than right.” said Celestia with a sigh, looking over the clipboard. The first three pages were the names of the newspapers, tabloids, and a few freelance reporters that were attending. Sure enough, the news of a possible foal made the press conference a place to be, it seemed.

The next six were reports from Quill’s “resources” of early predictions on what was to come. The mare was getting old for her age, yet she surprised Celestia with the almost sinister way she gathered resources and information for the Princess. Even the guard failed at getting a fraction of the info Quill had gotten on a coffee break.

“So, are you planning on releasing to the public of Aurora's existence including who the father, or rather, mother of Twilight is at this conference?” asked Quill, grabbing one of the pastries on the table.

“Aurora is too precious at this moment. She is a medical miracle and scientific baffle. She is also still my daughter, along with Twilight. While Twilley may never leave my side for more than a fraction of a second, Aurora is left alone, with only a nurse at the door. If an enemy was determined enough, it wouldn’t take much to get to her.

“But for Twilight’s father... I can’t keep that hidden forever. I must come forward with it, and bat away the noble’s attempts to remove her title. It will be difficult… but this is something I must do for her.”

“I understand, Princess.” Quill said somberly. “I would have done the same thing. Now, I must advise that you start preparing yourself for the Conference. Princess Cadence and I will watch over Twilight while you do so. Once you are done, we can go over your speech. I should have one written by then.”

“What would I do without you, Quill?” Celestia said with a small smile.

“Cry in a corner while wondering what it would have been like if you hired that wonderful older mare to be your advisor.”


Celestia stood on the other side of an archway looking out onto the patio where she was to hold the Press Conference. Quill stood on one side, looking over her clipboard once more while Cadence stood on the other. Twilight sat on her back while she looked at all the surroundings around her. The Princess could feel a lump in her throat while she listened to the droning of the press outside on the patio.

“Nerves?” asked Quill. She had put down her clipboard, and now watched Celestia with a concerned look. The goddess smiled lightly.

“Yes. This will be a huge turning point in my family’s life. I will say what needs to be said, and there will be no going back from it. I… fear it could be the wrong decision.”

“Princess, I have known you for thirty years. For thirty years I have stood by your side and helped you through every struggle you’ve had to endure. I think you will be able to power through this to the very end. If I know anything of you and your family, you will come out on top, no matter what they throw at you.” Quill said with a smile. “Now get your flank out there, young lady.”

Celestia nodded, moving out towards the podium set up for her. The moment they saw her, the press ponies all started asking questions in unison, becoming a mass of voices. She was half expecting Twilight to start wailing, but she did not hear any crying amongst the noise. Once at her spot, she raised a hoof, silencing the crowd. She looked among them, searching any kind of reaction the mob might already have to her pending announcement. When she saw impatience written across the crowd, she made to speak.

“Recently, there have been a number of rumors floating around that have concerned the castle. I will not deny the reports of a filly inside my halls, nor the unusual activity last week. I have called this conference to clarify the situation.” She had their attention. She could tell by the hum of quills in the air.

“Last week, there was an usual amount of royal activity in the late hours of the night. There were reports of the guards and staff of Canterlot Castle acting in a frantic manner. Rushing about. Of course, rumors have sprouted around this, suggestions that there was a late night attack, an injury of me or my fellow princess, Cadence, and other such allegations.

“I will say for myself that there was indeed a medical emergency inside the walls of the castle. I myself needed medical treatment in later hours and was attended to immediately by my loyal team of personal doctors and nurses.” She was avoiding the details purposefully, and they knew it. She could see it in the movements of the reporters, shifting in anticipation a few leaning closer to better listen to her speech.

“This is linked to the sightings of a newborn filly being cared for by staff members of the castle, even by my trusted advisor. Many have said that the foal is that of Princess Cadence or myself. Others have written it off as the daughter of a guard or maid. Some have said it was Quill’s. I will tell you all that she is quite flattered by the comment.” Laughter rippled through the crowd. Celestia smiled, watching as the tension in the room lessened.

“Returning to the subject matter on hand, I believe that the public and ponies of Equestria deserve to know the reality of our situation here in the castle. On May 3rd, 987 AN (After Nightmare), I was taken into the Medical Ward of Canterlot Castle to deliver the new heir to the Solar Throne. Princess Twilight Solar.”

Chaos. It was the best word to explain the scene in front of her. Ponies were shouting, cameras flashing, each trying to push past the guards. While they attempted to question her further. Celestia turned away, walking towards the waiting filly.

She walked back inside, smiling when she picked up the filly. “Come on, Twilight. You don’t need to be around that, yet.” Part of Celestia felt like she was lying. She pushed it out of her head for now, intent on spending the day with her daughter.