• Published 21st Aug 2013
  • 19,193 Views, 168 Comments

Solar Child - Bakmah Genesis



Twenty years before the Elements of harmony, before Nightmare Moon's Return, Celestia started a whole new slew of problems and headaches for herself and the ones around her. Thankfully Cadence doesn't mind foalsitting.

  • ...
101
 168
 19,193

Prologue

Solar Child

Prologue

Written by Dragon Genesis

Edited by Knight of Cerberus

Twilight turned in her sleep, a midnight blue hoof batting at her twisting head to try to dispell the dream. As her white mane whipped back and forth, the single purple streak flopped over her eye.

"Fuck it." she mumbled, sitting up in the captain's quarters. That was a plus of being the captain of Princess Celestia's guard. She also had a sneaky feeling that Celestia just didn't like the idea of her marefriend sleeping with a room full of stallions. She had been together with the sun princess for over two years now. They met three years ago when she was promoted to Captain and was sent to the princess for introduction. Since then they had grown fond of each other until they had started their relationship, which only a few ponies know exist.

Twilight chuckled as she examined the ultra-sound of her and Tia's foal that sat on the bed side table. Celestia was already seven months in, due in three. It was one of the things she hoped to head back home to once this border dispute with the gryphons was over. Then she could go home to a beautiful foal and marefriend. She glanced over at the box that held the ring she had picked up during a walk through the town. Well, let's make that fiancé. We've been together long enough.

Her ear twitched as the floorboards squeaked slightly. Twilight froze in her lying position and slowly cast out her magic, keeping her horn dim enough that it was nearly impossible to see. It was only after a few seconds that she sensed two life forms in the room with her, one surprisingly dimmer than the other. Gryphons. Pissed. Hostile. Right, forgot about that.

She slowly groped for the sword she had at the side of the bed. On the opposite side of the bed she could feel the gryphon's aura. Once within her reach, she gripped onto the hilt and flung it over to the other side of the bed, launching the sheath at the intruding gryphon.

The gryphon cursed and ducked, only to be hit by a crippling blast of magic as the midnight unicorn struck the soldier between the eyes. The mare searched around for the second intruder, but found no one. Twilight huffed as she got out of bed, using her horn to hit the alarm on the wall.

A siren went off as she rushed out of her room, her sword and armour catching up behind her. As her breast plate flew in front of her, she dove through it, slipping into it perfectly. Her helmet then placed itself over her horn and onto her head as her sword took up defensive stance next to her.

"All I want is to go home, propose to my marefriend, and see my baby girl for the first time. Is that too much to ask?" She asked herself as she whipped around the corner. Apparently, it was.

Gryphons surrounded the outpost, and were swarming the inside, attacking everything in sight. Ponies fell either wounded or dead to the gryphons as they rushed past, their blades flashing in the white light of the moon. The golden clad ponies of the Royal Guard fought against both sleep and the gryphons, leaning the fight more towards the favor of the enemy.

Cursing, Twilight ran into the heart of battle, taking a swing at the first gryphon that was unfortunate enough to step in front of her. His head was lopped clean off. She fended off two more that decided to rush her. Her sword wet itself with the blood of the gryphons as they charged her.

She was able to kill the two of them within a few seconds just before needing to rest. She huffed as she tried to catch her breath. She fell onto her haunches and coughed a few times, trying to regain air that she seemed to be lacking.

"What the fuck? W-why is it so difficult to breathe?" Twilight quickly cast an array of spells on herself to try to figure out what was wrong, all the while she kept an eye out for gryphons trying to attack her. It was something she learned to do to help in the medical tents when she first joined. It also made her more aware of personal injuries.

Finally, one spell found what it was designed to look for. Its results made her freeze and look down at herself in shock and horror. It wasn't any sort of wound, or injury. It wasn't a mental condition or anything. No, it was worse. It was something that Twilight would have never expected. She could hear the gods laughing at her.

She was pregnant.

"W-why now?" She asked herself shakily. "Why now? Why here?" She looked around, seeing a few gryphons rushing towards her. She looked back down at the barely existing foal in her womb. Motherly instincts were both telling her to run and to protect the foal. She was conflicted. Fight or run?

"I need to survive this. F-for you and for your mother." she said, scowling as she raised her sword and prepared her magic. "I will make it thro-". A deafing shot rang through the courtyard, making her freeze. A small tingling feeling was felt through her body.

She looked to see the gryphons stop and walk away. She stared in confusion, wondering why they were leaving. There was also the fact that there was a weird itchy feeling on her chest. It just...itched.

She looked down to see a sizable hole in her left chest cavity, not far off from her heart. Oh. So I'm dying.. She fell to her side, not even flinching as she collapsed to the courtyard floor. The reality of things was catching up. She knew that the foal would die the second she did due to the lack of proper blood flow in the womb. By the time her army would be able to save her, it would be too late. The foal would be dead.

I-I have failed you, Tia. I said I would return. B-but I won't. And I'm sorry, my children. I have failed you both. I won't see one of you born into this world, and I won't be able to give life to the other, I-I have failed you all. Twilight closed her eyes, her breath slowing as she died.

Good Bye, my love.
~~~~~In Canterlot~~~~~
"Do you have a name for her yet?" Asked Cadence as the young pink alicorn walked into her aunt's study. Celestia groaned and planted her face into the desk, her rainbow pastel mane still flowing despite the disturbance.

"Caddy, I still have three months. Besides, Twily and I still haven't picked out a name." said the white mare as she sat up. She straightened out the documents before her and went back to work on signing some bill she didn't care to read into well enough. The pink mare huffed and fell back onto her haunches.

"But Tiiia, the wait is killing me! I want my cousin now!" Celestia looked back in time to see Cadence pulling off a puppy dog look. The collected white mare broke out into giggles at the sight before shaking her head.

"It's her decision, not mine. I may be her mother, but I don't have much authority over her yet." said the mare with a giggle. Cadence giggled as well as the doors opened to let in a group of guards, each with their helmets removed.

"Princess, we have a disturbing update on the status of the eastern outpost." said the lead guard, stepping in front of them. As he did, he pulled out a rolled up scroll. Celestia's ear twitched at the mention of the outpost.

"What is it?" She asked, shifting from where she sat. The guard cleared his throat before reading out the letter.

"At 0200 this morning, a group of gryphon soldiers infiltrated the eastern outpost and started slaughtering guards. The assault ended at 0900, allowing us to count our dead, which we believe to be around 300 out of the 800 that were assigned."

"And of Captain Sparkle?" Asked Celestia, hoping to gods above that she survived.

"She was killed by some sort of new weapon. We were able to open her up, and found out that she was, um, pregnant, your highness. We have yet to find the father, but..." The guards words droned out as the goddess processed the information given to her.

"Y-you may leave us. T-tell the guards and staff that there will be no night court" said Celestia, turning her head away. The guards saluted and walked out of the room, leaving Celestia to mourn with her niece.

"Pregnant, Caddy. She was pregnant." said the white alicorn after a while, sobbing softly. Cadence ran a hoof through the elder alicorn's mane as she tried to calm her.

"There was not much we could do, Tia. She either didn't know or it was too late. We can't go back and change the past." said the pink mare. Celestia closed her eyes, the images of her loved one flashing through her mind as she did.

"I want a message sent to the Gryphon ambassador to meet with me tomorrow. In the mean time, I want the bodies of the fallen brought back to Canterlot, and to have Twilight's ready for me to see. I want to see exactly what they did to her." said the goddess as she stood, tears still staining her alabaster fur.

"And what of you?" Asked Cadence, concerned for her aunt's well being. Celestia paused mid-step before fixing a sorrowful look at her niece.

"I will mourn for my love and unborn child."

Author's Note:

After a long process, I'm proud to announce me and Knight of Cerberus have finally finished the prologue! It still may be awhile before chapter one follows, but it will soon.