• Published 20th Aug 2013
  • 824 Views, 46 Comments

Rainbow Dash and a Dinner Party with the Wonderbolts - divinearcadia



Rarity enters in a contest to determine the new uniform for Equestrias renowned Wonderbolts and needs a pegasus model who's both athleticly gifted and can show her design to its best, so why not Rainbow Dash?

  • ...
7
 46
 824

The Staging Grounds

This chapter is from Rarities point of view

The Staging Grounds

It takes a couple more hours before Rarity and her friends finally were able to quietly sneak away from the crowd of ponies who were seeking to simply talk to them. This is not counting those who wished an autograph, hoofprint or, strangely enough, to even hug them out of sheer joy. It wasn't as though Rarity and Rainbow Dash were without fans, but their wish to hug them is quite sudden and inexplicable because they felt as though everything they had done was for them. It warmed their hearts beyond measure that they had touched these ponies in such a way that words no longer sufficed. Once they got over their initial feelings of reluctance to hugging total strangers, they welcomed them without restraint. It was something special to the two mares as they gave comfort and reassurance to these ponies who were touched by their work and actions.

The two were comfortably silent as they sat in the preparation room they were given earlier. They make their hasty goodbyes to their friends once time began to turn into a precious commodity as the deadline draws closer to them for the following fashion show. Rarity is kept comfortably busy as she goes about the room, Dash letting her do her thing without too much fuss. After a quick rinse and brushing down of Rainbow Dash allows Rarity to treat her mane and coat with oils and solutions that made them more vibrant than they usually are. It is a strange sensation for Rainbow Dash as her coat and mane are treated to become something more delicate and feminine than her usual ministrations make them into, but she relaxes as Rarities careful ministrations relax her to the point that she no longer minded.

Rarity smiles as she softens her friends usual hard edges into something greater. The usual contrast of colors she had was beautiful, of course, but she makes her positively shine. Her ministrations brings out the inner beauty of the polychromatic mane, made the sky blue coat positively glow. It wasn't makeup or something dross that she did with her friend. She simply brought out her intrinsic features to light for other to see her as she saw her friend in the minds eye. She doesn't use any styling gels or holding sprays, just letting the mane remain as unrestrained as ever, but she treats them with a very expensive oil that makes it flow freely through her hooves until it is as smooth as silk. Her coat is trickier as it requires a more delicate touch with both waxes and oils to make it look the way she desires. It was a good thing she began to consult Aloe and Lotus on proper hair care as this would have been a disaster of untold proportions.

Rainbow Dash had fallen asleep as Rarity went about her work. They have roughly a half hour until they are required to make their mutual appearance when Rarity finally wakes Rainbow Dash. She isn't especially groggy or cantankerous when she woke up, so that makes Rarity especially happy as her friend had needed the little bit of rest that she had gotten. They go about their final preparations together in silence aside from the occasional request for something or other. They finally make their way out of their dressing room with a small duffel bag floating beside them in Rarities arcane glow. Rainbow Dash was silent and stoic this time as Rarity felt the inner flame of passion begin to glow brighter with each step.

She remembers the debacle involving Fluttershy and her jealousy involving her friends good fortune as they walk down the moderately lit hallway. She only feels joy and happiness this time as she allows her friend to shine in the light instead of being delegated to the shadows near the edge. This is what she had truly wanted for Fluttershy and she would make it up to her friend in one way or another after this weekend. Another few transient moments in time and they find their selves being guided by a staff member to one of the simple back rooms of the temporarily redesigned dining hall. Rarity gives Rainbow Dash the alternate suit to change into as the other is still slightly damp with perspiration.

Removing the mist machines from the bag, Rarity ignited them with a steady pulse of magic. Humming to life, they begin to spew forth a slow milky vapor which she captures with another application of magic. The staff pony reappears with a list of order in which the models are to appear. Rainbow Dash is assigned to be the first. Twenty minutes to get ready. I hope we have enough time... Rarity thinks as she looks at the slowly gathering mass of vapor.

About five minutes later, Rainbow Dash enters the roughly pony-sized mass of mist to begin to imbue it with her own pegasus magic. After a little bit of time, Rainbow Dash tells Rarity to stop holding the mist in as her magic fully grasps the nebulous mass. As she drops the faint containment magic, Rarity feels as though the shadow of a cool mountain breeze passes over her. As she watches, Rarity notices the milky cloud of vapor begin to roil with movement that should not be there. It slows despite the currents of air in the room, expanding slightly faster than the rate of the devices are able to produce. Then she notices it. The air has begun to move in the opposite direction. She stares as the temperature of the room fluctuates slightly, the air moving against her coat with the slight sensation of static electricity despite the moist air. The mass of water vapor begins to fill the room, rolling around Rarities hooves as it slowly obliterates all familiarity in the space she occupies. Light and shadow shifts and dances before her eyes as she tries to even spot the familiar silhouette of her friend. Piercing through the odd silence comes a knock.

“Are you okay in there Miss Rarity? Miss Dash?” Comes the oddly thick sounding voice of a staff member.

“We're fine!” Rarity says slightly flustered. “Just some final preparations for our performance!”

“Alright...” The pony says, not entirely sure to believe her or not. “Just make sure the hallway is clear as you two leave for the other contestants...”

“Rest assured that we shall do exactly that. No need to worry at all.” Rarity says in response. The hallway?! She thinks to herself.

Once the concerned staff member leaves, she opens the door softly to look out of their room. She can't even tell that there is even a hallway. Milky silvers and subtly shifting shadows are the only thing she sees as she looks in both directions. She has no inkling of what to do. She could quite possibly ruin everything if she breaks Rainbows concentration, or she could just let everything fall is it did. She would just have to trust in her friend that she could bring everything to fruition. She levitates the hanging clock off of the wall to her side so that she is able to gauge how long they have left. The clock states that they have ten minutes. So, with a sigh, Rarity sits on a slightly damp chair with a slight grimace as the dampness seeps into her coat and lets Rainbow Dash 'do her thing.'

Six minutes later, Rarity finally speaks up to Rainbow, letting her know that it's time for them to make their way to the stage. Rainbow walks over to Rarity, giving her a reference point in this eerie new place that was once a room. They leave the room, only to stumble upon a staff pony looking precisely for them. They follow the pony at a slow pace until Rainbow Dash pauses momentarily, a small bubble of semi-clear air opens in front of her, allowing her slightly skittish companions some familiarity. They make their way to the impromptu area behind the curtains of the main stage. The staff pony consults a small pocket watch, which is promptly followed by the odd reverberations of a stallions magically amplified voice introducing the first model to the stage through the cloud they stand in.

“Ladies and Gentle-Colts, despite the odd events that have transpired, I am very pleased to announce the first model in our lineup. Miss Rainbow Dash!” The gentle clapping of hooves accompany his final words, only to quickly fade away.

It's time to show them what for, Rainbow Dash! Go get'em!” Rarity whispers fiercely to her friend.

Rainbow takes a deep breath, the vapor moving once again with purpose. It moves ahead as though on some unseen current, Rainbow Dash following a moment later. She takes a peek from behind the thick curtain. The glowing lights that rim the walkway creates a bright glare that makes it hard to distinguish anything aside from her friend, who is nothing more than a darkly flickering figure. Absolutely striking. She thinks, as she sees her friend in the spotlight. Rarity watches as her friends shadowy form slowly advances down the way, where she stops as nothing more than a faintly gray outline. Ethereal wings slowly extend out to her friends side, casting shadows that shift columns of dark gray through her vision. A moment of delay separates the action of a wing flap and the coming elation that Rarity knows is coming. Starting from below, the vapor slowly ripples as it inexplicably picks up speed. It's as though a cold mountain breeze washes over her coat as she watches the mist be banished from her sight.

With her nerves sending shivering chills through her body, Rarity watches the ominously dark ceiling transform into shimmering sheets of pure and radiant color, reflecting the colors of her friends mane and tail. Rainbow Dash stands at the end of the stage, her head turned to the right as they had practiced. A slightly scornful look graces Rainbows face. Everything is as perfect and beyond her expectations as Rarity watches, her breath held until it burns her lungs for want of air. She finally exhales softly, not wanting to break the spell before its time. Rainbow looks over the crowd once with a gentle smile as the shimmering sheet above her begins to die down. Turning around, she walks back down the walkway to disappear as the last, feeble flicker of color above her fades into nothing. There is a resounding silence. Nothing but the soft sound of hooves on the carpeted floor as they walk past the next pony to make their appearance. They look at the pair with slightly wide eyes as they walk past in the silence.

They walk back to their designated room to wait for the end of the other routines. The wait seems to last forever for Rarity. Rainbow Dash just goes over to the small couch and goes back to sleep again. To be so assured about how everything will fall. I wish I could be that confident, but then again her battles will be in the sky. But that's why I'm here to lead her in this aspect of the contest. Rarity thinks to herself. They sit in relative silence, the large room nearby gives no low rumble of applause or cheering to give and semblance of time moving along. It's not long before Rarity finds herself following Rainbows example and gently falls asleep in her chair. Rarity sleeps on soft clouds and gentle breezes, her worries carried off as though they never were. She isn't sure how long she was asleep for, but the gentle rocking hoof on her shoulder brings her slowly back to the waking world. Opening her eyes, she sees Rainbow Dash smiling in that way she does when she's laughing at a joke nopony but her would understand.

“You enjoy your nap?” She says. “One of the staff dropped by a couple minutes ago to let us know that the contestants have gone through their routines and that supper will be served with the winner being announced at the conclusion.”

“Oh! Wonderful. How about we make our way there and find our friends? I'm sure you're more than ready for something to eat, as am I.” Rarity responds. At her words both of their stomachs decide to voice their agreement at the same time, causing the pair to laugh. They leave their dressing room in good spirits, looking forward to the good food and conversation that is surely to be waiting for them in the dining hall. As they walk down the hallway, they come to an abrupt and unpleasant surprise as Lightning Dust cuts them off as they go to pass an intersection.

“What's up, Dash?” Lightning says nonchalantly. “So what was that about earlier? You sure you're flying with your own wings?” Her words create an immediate effect on Rainbow Dash. She doesn't flip out or even move in a threatening manner towards the offending pony. She just looks at her with just a trace of annoyance on her face. But that's not the only thing that happens. A breath taking, sharp scent immediately fills the air as Rarity feels chilling magic sweep across her body. Pegasus magic. It's not the passive or gentle magic she had felt from her pegasus friends in the past as they went about manipulating the weather around them. This was the raw, openly hostile magic of an untamed storm. The kind of storm that takes lives without even noticing, the kind that would easily snap the wings and break the body of a pegasus foolish enough to fly into its maw. The air moves and begins to drop rapidly in temperature as it carries moisture on its currents.

Lightning Dusts response is immediate. Her eyes open completely from her usually half-lidded stare of confidence to one of absolute terror. She slowly backs away until she bumps into the wall of the hallway and slides down until her haunches rest on the floor. Rainbow Dash slowly walks forward as she stares the offending pony in the eye, the air temperature dropping to below freezing in moments. Rainbow Dash leans down slightly to whisper something in Lightning Dusts ear, who completely freezes up in fright. Rarity watches on in confusion and horror at this alien display of raw power. Rainbow Dash talks to her for a couple more moments as Rarity curiously watches the milky white film of rime ice form over the wings and mane of Lightning Dust. Then, without warning, Rainbow backs away as does the malicious atmosphere of impending doom. She looks to Rarity and tilts her head silently with the clear meaning of lets get outta here.

They walk on in silence once Rarity snaps out of her shocked trance. What was that? She thinks as they walk on, the air becoming warmer and muggier in relation to where has just been. She looks behind quickly to see Lightning Dust still frozen with a look of terror stuck on her face. But she doesn't stop or turn around to help the stricken mare. That pony just doesn't know when to stop, does she? She thinks a little sadly.

When they reach the dining hall, everypony is silent and staring at them. The first thing that they notice is that there isn't a single pegasus present, not even Fluttershy or Scootaloo. Twilight sits at one of the larger tables with their other friends sitting though she wears a look of uncomprehending fear of her face. Their friends throw worriedly confused looks between Twilight and them at their arrival. They make their way over to the table amidst the quiet stares. Somehow, Rarity just knows that they know that the commotion was caused by them. It was mortifying for Rarity to be the center of an incident that had unintentionally caused a major panic amongst the pegasi and a minor one to the other ponies who still remained. They sit at the table in silence until Rarity coughs politely into her hoof and begins to try to bring back a semblance of normalcy to their table at the least.

“So... How were the other contestants after us?” She says with forced levity.

“Wa-huh?” Applejack says with her usual aplomb at being caught off guard.

“The other ponies who came out onstage to show off their partners hard work with a unique act to highlight the design? Surely you remember how they did...” Rarity says trying desperately to snap her friends out of their shock.

“Oh! Oh!” Sweetie Belle says with her cute, squeaky voice when she gets overly excited. “Rarity, they were great... But they weren't as good as you and Rainbow Dash. That's what I think anyways.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie says supporting the little filly. “They were all pizazz and wham-pow! But you were just... wow. I mean, I didn't know what to think when that fog started to roll in. It was all super creepy at first, but then it went all...” She uses her hooves and sound effects to explain this part because she can't think of the right words. “And then Rainbow Dash emerges like some mysterious traveler as the fog keeps rolling forward trying to cover us all. Then she looks back at the fog because it looks like it's clinging to her and then with a flap of her wings it goes all vwoosh and whoa as it gets blown up to the ceiling. How did you do that whole rainbow thing anyways?”

“Ha!” Rainbow laughs at her friends rendition of her performance. “That's a Rainbow Dash trade secret.” She says with a gesture of her hoof and a cocky smile.

“It was really cool though.” Spike says, finally joining in the conversation as he had been gently trying to get Twilight to come back to earth and giving up for the time being. “I didn't know you could do something like that, Rainbow Dash. And that race! I mean, that was really something! You left even the camera in the dust!”

“ He he. Just couldn't keep up with the awesome! Not that I expected it to anyways.” She says with mirth in her voice.

“I dunno about anypony else, but I could rightly use a bite to eat if they don't mean to starve us out.” Applejack says with a chuckle, getting nods of approval from most of the ponies around the table. As though their conversation had finally gotten through to the other ponies in the room, quiet conversation begins to drift through the air. Once most of the eyes are off of them, Rainbow puts her forehooves up on the table and leans forward to ask the table in general something that was at the forefront of everyponies mind.

“What in the hay happened?!” She whispers to everypony and nopony in particular. “Where did all the pegasi go and why is Twi so freaked out?!” They look back and forth with a worried look before Applejack finally speaks up.

“We don't rightly know, Dash. It happened so suddenly nopony knew what was goin' on 'til the pegasus ponies were so scared their feathers nearly fell out and they all made a mad dash to head for the hills. Fluttershy nearly broke down before she grabbed lil Scootaloo and took off with her in hoof. Poor Twi here just froze up and hasn't done or said a thing. What do you know about it, Dash?”

Dash begins to respond but is cut short when the large double doors open suddenly to reveal Princess Celestia standing there with a very serious expression on her face. She walks through the newly shocked crowd to make her way to where they all sit. Each step is oddly distinct in the silence, like the toll of a muted bell. Instead of the stares of the congregated ponies, the single gaze of the Princess is something that makes them all slink down in their seats collectively. Celestia stops a pace from their table and looks at them all but finally rests her gaze on Rainbow Dash.

“We need to have a talk.” She says with a solemn expression.

***To Be Continued***

Author's Note:

DUN DUN DUUUUNNN...... What's in store for our polychromatic heroine? Tune in next time to find out!