• Published 23rd Feb 2012
  • 24,470 Views, 189 Comments

Heretical Fictions - Skywriter



Sometimes, fiction matters.

  • ...
16
 189
 24,470

appendix - Fanart!

Thanks so much!

Comments ( 48 )

I love the shadowing!!!

Hah! I wondered why this had an update, but this is pretty cool. Not quite how I imagined it, but i love the art!:twilightsmile:

The feature box made me think something new had been written! Now I'm sad.

2887737
Oh crud, did this feature? I really didn't want it to! I just stumbled on a piece of fanart completely by accident and wanted to share it with future readers! Ah, nerts. Bracing for possible backlash...

The bookshelves kinda look lime Minecraft, but that's a pretty good picture.

Why am I just now finding this?

Fuck it, why am I just now finding YOU?

This shit's AMAZING!

~Skeeter The Lurker

Fanart for a fanfic based on a fanfic of the original show.

And now I'm wondering why I hadn't fave'd and thumbed it the first time I read it.

Eh.

2888195 <--- best profile pic ever:rainbowlaugh:

2888714
It's quite neat how ideas propagate like that.

2887775
:rainbowlaugh: Oh man, when I saw I had two unread chapters in my favorites list, this was not what I expected to see!
That's interesting though. I guess adding chapters resets the story's "age", and since it has such a high rating it gets featured.
Both Contraptionology! and Heretical Fictions are in the feature box today as a result of this. :trollestia:
I'm also.. just.. wow. You put my art in your story pages? :twilightblush: I don't know what to say.

2887775
AFAIK, once a story hits the feature box, any updates will also hit the feature box (the last 3 slots of the feature box are reserved for this).

2887775 Well, I'm glad it did, because I would never have found it otherwise. And I'm really, really glad to have found it.

2887980
In my opinion, fanwork is like pastry dough or Japanese steel: the more layers, the better!

2887944
Thanks! The great thing about the raw productivity of this fandom is that there's always something new to find! The horrible thing about it is that there's always something new to miss...

2888444
Oo, you wrote a "Just Words" fan-sequel! Neat! Will have to check it out!

2889056
I was flattered by your fanart and wanted to share it with people! I don't know how I missed the "Graduate Fictions Lounge" piece; I only found it because I was looking for a good public link to your "Nightmare Delicious" piece. If you tried to show this one to me earlier, I do apologize for missing your message.

2889248
Thanks. It was a happy accident, then.

2889668

And that's why it's fun to plumb the depths of this site.

Nice job on the story. I'll be reading the rest when I get a chance!

~Skeeter The Lurker

3384604
I think that means it succeeded at its aim. :pinkiehappy:

I have to thank you for this fic for two reasons.

The first one is that it's, in itself, a fairly entertaining fic for it's size, so it was certainly worth the read.:twilightsheepish:

The second reason is that the only reason I actually read Eternal is because of this fic. Eternal is a fic I would have skipped, at least until I got through a great deal of the fics with widespread recognition, because I tend to dislike sad fics and the combination of the sad tag, the large size, and the description was driving me away. If not for my OCD pressuring me into getting through all your complete stories I might have missed Eternal altogether :facehoof:

(I do have to say, though, that Eternal was quite tiring to read, despite being very good. I needed about 4x more time to read Eternal than I needed to read Contraptionology, even though Eternal is not much larger...)

Edit: Any chance of seeing the Alfalfa Monster in the future? :pinkiehappy:

3813452
"Eternal" is hard work and sometimes drags but the payoff is eminently worth it, IMO. Glad you got a chance to read it.

In re: the Alfalfa Monster... most certainly!

3813580

Lol, didn't know Alfalfa Monster was a pony meme :rainbowlaugh:

I'm too new to this fandom, it seems :twilightsmile:

It has been one hundred and twenty one weeks since I last browsed this fic. One hundred and twenty one weeks, at least, since the completion of the story that spawned this one. It, and by extension Eternal, have not lost any impact for me. Even as I write this memories swirl about my eyes and I'm all but forced to euphoric tears. I really, really miss Device. I know he had to bail for his health, but still. When a giant moves you feel it for a long time.

But! Now you have a TON of stuff to read, so hurray for that. Or maybe it was there before and I didn't notice? Who can tell.

Onward and upward.

4583583
Glad it continues to please you! :pinkiehappy:

And yes, I also would like to hear from DH more than I do.

263672 Ah, so here is where the mask came off. :trixieshiftright:

269054

since device heretic is higher profile and thus making out with him is more of a draw.

My how the tides have turned. :rainbowderp:

681129

I want to know what it's like to have wings.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

~Sincerly, 2013 :rainbowlaugh:

4825818
One wonders how the fictional equivalent compares with the real thing.

2750284
2750240

In the light of your recent work, this doesn't seem so throw-away any more. Were you picturing Cadence of Cloudsdale even back then?

>> PoweredByTea
Yep.

:rainbowderp: Man, a year later and we still only have little nibbles, morsels, tidbits, hints, etc. about the "Of Cloudsdale" part of your saga. You play a long game, Skywriter.

Okay, now that I've replied to all the comments (which on a fic this [relatively] old, amounts somewhat to looking at a time capsule), I'll add my own two cents.

Being the Heretic I am, I don't plan on reading Eternal (btw, why in your story is it underlined instead of italicized? I always had the vague notion that underlining was reserved for writing, where italicizing doesn't really work.) anytime soon. Still, this story was yet another wonderful read. I look forward to reading its sequel after I fix the family microwave oven this evening.

Have a great day! :pinkiehappy:

4825950
Yeah, they're supposed to be italicized, but there was so much italics in this story already I thought I would do something to set the book titles apart. It's not strictly correct, but I guess it works?

I FINALLY read this... mostly because it took me years to get around to finally reading Eternal itself first. Eternal was great, but this... I absolutely love the metafiction here. It really does a great job of exploring and highlighting why fiction is so important and why for those of us that really love the written word, it's often in many ways, more real than reality. I can't help but be reminded of one of my favorite quotes (from the dedication page in Neil Gaiman's "Coraline.")

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."
--G. K. Chesterton (who I believe is a fictional quote source in Gaiman's head)

5036849
Thanks for the kind words! If my Internet-fu is up to speed, that quote is actually a paraphrased version of a quote from Chesterton's Tremendous Trifles (1909). It is a very wise and correct thing to say.

"Yeah," said Twilight, a sheepish smile playing at one corner of her mouth. "Rainbow agreed that you had a special plan in mind for me, but she bet me that this was all leading up to some kind of massive prophesied cataclysm that you needed me to prevent, sacrificing myself in a messianic blast which would forever ensure Equestria's safety but which would consume me in the process. And possibly her, as well. If you ask me, Rainbow is a little too fond of the idea of messianic blasts in general, but then again, she's always been the 'live fast, die young, leave an atomized corpse' sort."

"…Oh," I said.

Ha! So there are still ways to stun her into silence after all.

5525950
I'd like to think so!

5581431
Thanks for taking a little trip down memory lane! Man, I can hardly believe it's been that long myself.

I miss DH being around too. He seems like a cool guy.

5036849 Kinda why I like reading fanfiction, because sometimes someone else can come up with better revelations than the series writers.

6170711
Also, we're free to explore revelations that make sense but are too controversial for Y-7 programming.

I reviewed this story as part of Recommended Story Reviews #18.

My review can be found here.

I never thought I would love a piece of meta-fiction this much, but that just blew me away!

9076364
Thanks, glad to hear it!

9431932
The “age of fire” is slowly dying, like how the sun is getting harder and harder to raise.

9431993
Oh, okay, that makes sense.

9432377
Are you by any chance planning the dying sun as a plot point in any of your other stories?

9432852
This continuity has only the two stories in it, although Celestia's weariness is an undercurrent in many of my stories.

Login or register to comment