• Published 23rd Feb 2012
  • 3,314 Views, 19 Comments

Dashomon - Lurks-no-More



My Little Pony shipping in the vein of "Rashomon"!

  • ...
9
 19
 3,314

Dashomon

Rainbow Dash's Story

You want to hear how I and Applejack became an item, huh? Well, okay... this is how it went.

I'd been having hots for her for a long time, and why not? She's tough, she's cool, she's honest and reliable, she's got these green eyes the color of spring grass when you look at it from far above, so bright you feel like you could just freefall in them, and hoo boy, those haunches... Rowr!

The only problem was I wasn't good with this emotional stuff. Still aren't, really, but lucky me, Applejack doesn't mind most of the time. Sure, I'd fooled around with willing fillies before, but the only time I'd tried anything more serious with somepony I'd been burned bad, and it left me kinda wary. So I was trying to go at it in a roundabout way first, hoping she'd get the hint or something. That didn't work out too well, and I almost pissed Applejack off when I "accidentally" crashed into her the third time in a month.

So I made a tactical withdrawal – the Dash never retreats! – and tried to figure what to do, but I was getting nowhere. Like I said, I'm not too good with this stuff. I was sitting at Sugar Cube Corner one evening, bouncing ideas off Pinkie, and getting them bounced back twice as weird, when I realized I was being a coward. Yeah, you heard me right: I, Rainbow Miriam Dash, the pony who'd faced every threat and every problem head on, flying at it, through it and past it, was sitting on her cowardly butt and trying to come up with a way of saying "I love you" without having to actually say "I love you"!

When I finally admitted that to myself, the rest went easily. I sent Applejack a note, asking her to come see me on the Greensward hill, just to the east of her family's farm, at noon on Friday, three days later. Why three days, you're asking? Oh, because that was the minimum time I needed to rearrange the weather schedule so it'd be a beautiful day!

Pinkie got all excited about the whole thing, and wanted to come along. I was kind of dubious about that – this kind of a thing is a private affair, you know – but she was so happy and cheery that I relented, if she'd just keep out of sight when Applejack was there. And a good thing I let her come, too... but I'm getting ahead of of the story.

Anyway, I got busy with the weather (had to swap Thursday's schedule with Saturday's, but it worked out nicely), and eventually the Friday came, looking real splendid if I say so myself. At half past eleven I was on the hill, waiting for Applejack. I got to admit, it was the most nervous I'd been since the Best Young Fliers competition! Pinkie was being very Pinkie, bouncing around and telling how happy she was for me and asking if I was excited 'cause she was super-excited and so on. Eventually I got her to calm down a bit, and she hid herself behind one of the big oaks that grew on the hill.

And not a moment too soon, because right then Applejack trotted up the hill and came over to me. I guess she was looking the same as always – orange coat with those sweet little freckles, golden-blond mane and tail tied up with red strings, and her old cowpony hat on her head – but to me she looked better than ever.

"Heya, Rainbow," she said in that cute accent of hers. "Ah got yer note, sayin' you had somethin' to discuss with me today," she said and looked at me with those big green eyes. I almost lost my cool there and then, but somehow I managed.

"Yeah, there's this one thing," I said and launched into the little speech I'd planned. "Ever since Twilight came to town, I've been thinking a lot about friendship. You and I, we fit together really well, much better than I and Fluttershy, even though I've known her all my life! I think we could be really special friends. More than friends, Applejack."

Her eyes widened even more, and I started to sweat a little. "Uh, you see… I've noticed you haven't got any guys in your life, no stallion you're dating or pining for. And, uh, I've been thinking that maybe it's not because you don't want anypony in your life, but because you don't want a stallion." I drew a deep breath, and threw what little caution I had left into the wind. "That you're like me, Applejack. Because… I love you, and I want to be your girlfriend, and I really, really want to kiss you right now!"

That was it, I was in freefall now, and if she didn't swoop in, I'd crash again; my heart would end up flatter than Rarity if I hadn't caught her. Then she smiled, and blushed, and nodded just a tiny bit, and I was safe. I stepped closer, my wings spreading with excitement, and kissed her, right on the muzzle. She tasted warm and sunny and apples, just as I'd thought, and it felt soooo good and right and I wanted it to go on forever.

And then, just as our lips broke apart, and she drew a breath to speak, I heard Twilight's voice. "Hey guys, what's going on here?"


Pinkie Pie's Story

Oh, you heard Rainbow Dash's story about how she and Applejack got together? That's good, because it means now I can tell the real thing and not spill a secret!

What, you thought her story was the real thing? Ha ha he hee he hee! Oh, don't look so glum! I'm not laughing at you, silly, I'm laughing with you! Because you see, that story's how Rainbow Dash thinks it all went, but it's not how it really went!

Lying? Dash? Nah, she's not a liar. Dash may beat around the bush, exaggerate her role, embellish the truth, imply things, overstate and understate stuff, forget parts and generally play fast and loose with how it all happened, but she never lies, not on purpose! Honestly. Would I lie to you?

Ah, you're catching up! Of course I would, if it made for a better story! But not this time, and that's a Pinkie promise! Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye! Right, here's how it all really really went...

She was sitting at the Sugar Cube Corner one night, slurping sarsaparilla floats with double syrup and extra sprinkles, and being all gloomy-doomy Dash. I knew what was ailing her, of course. She always got the grumps after she'd tried to build up the courage to tell Applejack she was all lovey-dovey over her, and failed. It's funny – and I mean weird-huh-funny, not silly-ha-ha-funny – how such a brave pony always got cold hooves when she tried to tell somepony stuff like that!

Anyway, she was telling me about her latest plan to catch Applejack's eye, and boy, was it a lousy one! I can tell, because I'm an expert at lousy plans. If you want a good plan, you got to see Twilight, she's good for those. This one was a real stinker, though, and I told her so, several times, and suggested some additions that were so silly I was sure she'd realize what a bad idea the whole thing was. No, I'm not going to tell you what it was, except that involved dressing up as Bloomberg. As if Applejack couldn't tell Bloomberg from any other tree in Equestria!

So, anyway, the closing time was coming and Mr. Cake was making impatient faces at me behind Rainbow Dash's back, so I asked her: "But Dash, why don't you just go and ask Applejack out for a date? Or a fig, maybe, if she doesn't like dates. And you could ask Zecora for some coconuts if you wanted to be exotic!"

She just looked at me, all sad and frowny, and sighed. "Oh, Pinkie Pie, you're so random sometimes." Then she got up and paid for her floats and left, which made Mr. Cake happy at least. But I wasn't happy, because Dash wasn't happy, and she's my friend, and I want all my friends to be happy! So I decided it was time for me to take matters into my own hooves.

That's why I wrote that note to Applejack, pretending I was Rainbow Dash, and asked her to see me – I mean Dash – on the Greensward Hill. Then I ran out, dropped the note into the post box, and came back to close the store properly.

Next day, when I told Dash what I had done, she freaked out completely. She went all pale and began to quake and shake and babbled about what if Applejack didn't come or if she came and hated her, and how she'd have to leave Ponyville and live for the rest of her days in the Everfree Forest or something. It was so silly I would have laughed if it hadn't been my friend. So I told her to calm down, and asked if she could keep a secret. Then I told her that Applejack was really into mares too, and they were best of friends already, so everything would work out just fine!

Oh, you want to know how I knew Applejack was a fillyfooler? Well, here's the secret, and I really hope you can keep a secret, because if Rainbow Dash ever hears about this, I'm going to have a raincloud hanging over my head for months! You swear? Good.

I didn't know! Yes, I made it up. Oh, it was all for the greater good, you see! I figured that if Applejack was a fillyfooler, then she and Dash could become a couple, or just cuddle up and have a little fun, and then they'd both be happy! And if she wasn't, well, poor Dash would be hurt, which wouldn't be so nice. But Applejack would be kind about it, because she was her best friend after all, and it wasn't like Dash wasn't unhappy already!

So the Friday came and Rainbow Dash was worrying herself sick, and I tried to calm her down. I made sure to come along, because I knew that if I was there she wouldn't try to run away at the last minute or come up with some silly story to cover it all up! And I was so proud when Dash finally managed to open up and tell Applejack she loved her... and then they kissed, right there! It was so cute I went all Ooohh and Awww!, only quietly so they didn't hear me, of course.

And then Twilight Sparkle showed up, and asked what was going on, in that silly clueless way of hers. I can't figure out how somepony so incredibly smart – seriously, Twilight's a certified genius, I've seen her genius diploma from Canterlot U., there's Princess Celestia's official seal and all – can be so totally stupid at times. It's a mystery!

Now Applejack and Rainbow Dash were surprised. I mean, you can't expect anypony to stay alert and watchful when you're finally kissing somepony you've been yearning after for Celestia only knows how long! And I should have paid attention to my knees getting all wobbly and my eye starting to twitch, that's a sure-fire sign that somepony's coming, but I was a bit distracted too.

Anyway, Applejack was looking at Twilight all wide-eyed and blushing and looking cute as a button if I say so, and Dash was blushing too and trying to fold her wings down, and I just knew she was going to say something so stupid she'd be regretting it for the rest of her life. It was time for Aunty Pinkie to come to the rescue of the young lovers! (Actually, Applejack's a couple of years older than I am, but it's the spirit of the thing!)


Twilight Sparkle's Story

You wish to know about my part in the courtship of Rainbow Dash and Applejack? I was there at the critical moment, it is true. And my contribution to their present love and happiness is that I did nothing. For you see, I could have spoiled everything for them there and then, right at the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

How, you ask? How could I, with no malice or ill intention towards either of my friends, have broken the bond between them? Would not Rainbow Dash's fearless loyalty overcome every obstacle, and would not Applejack's honesty and confidence withstand anything?

Well, it's not that simple. Let me explain. Imagine a river, like the one that flows through Ponyville. It is not a very big river, but it suits our purposes. Do you know what it would take to dam or move the course of that river? It would take tons and tons of stones and sand and earth, and the hard work of dozens of ponies over a long time. Yet, if you went up through the Everfree Forest and into the Swayback Mountains where our river begins, and sought it at its source: just a little creek where you wouldn't even wet your fetlocks if you stepped into it... how much would it take to divert it there? Not much at all. Perhaps just a carelessly placed hoof would suffice, knocking a loose rock into the creek, damming it and encouraging it to flow in another direction. It is the same thing with other matters, including love and friendship.

I had been researching Ponyville's history – the exact issue, although interesting in its own right, is not important here – and was headed out to Sweet Apple Acres, in order to talk with Applejack about the matter. She knows quite a few things that have been passed down in her family that I have not been able to find in any of my books here at Ponyville's library.

As I was getting closer to her farm, I noticed somepony on top of the hill on the other side of the road. Even at that distance, I could tell it was Rainbow Dash; her appearance is unmistakable. And there, on a path towards the hill, was Applejack: just the pony I sought.

Thinking nothing about joining two of my closest friends unannounced, I turned away from the road and cut through the light woods towards the path. I must assume that Rainbow Dash's attention was focused on Applejack only, because I reached the summit quite unnoticed by anypony.

Now, I freely admit I am not the most socially adept pony; I'm introverted, cerebral and slightly neurotic when things get out of my hooves. But I am not entirely clueless, no matter what Pinkie Pie might say! If they had been in the middle of something more delicate, I would of course have made a hasty and quiet retreat. But when I saw my friends, the scene was entirely innocuous, or so I thought: Applejack and Rainbow Dash standing close together, facing one another, Dash's wings slightly flared.

"Hey guys, what's going on here?" I asked, just curious what my friends were up to. The effect of my words was interesting, to say the least. Applejack looked at me with obvious surprise, her face flushed for some reason, while Rainbow Dash took a quick step back – almost a jump, in fact. She, too, was blushing, and her tail twitched in a very agitated manner.

And that was when I realized I had stumbled into something I really shouldn't have. I'm a modern, urbane, well-educated and liberal pony, and it should be obvious that I have no problem with mares loving mares; in a society like ours where we make up two thirds of the population, and the herd marriages of olden pony days have fallen out of use, that's just natural and reasonable.

However, I may be a bit too skeptical about suggestions that any particular mares are more than just good friends; it took me the longest time to realize what was going on between Lyra and Bon-Bon, for example. Possibly it is because of certain nasty rumors about the exact nature of my relationship with Princess Celestia... Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

What mattered was that I had obviously intruded into a lovers' meeting, and now I had to somehow extricate myself before I offended either of my friends - or, worse yet, one of them could offend the other. Yes, I do mean Rainbow Dash by that. She has many wondrous qualities, but tact is not one of those, and she has an unfortunate ability to say the worst possible thing at the moment it causes the most damage. If the love between my friends was a river, I had just stepped my hoof into it right at its source.

As I stood there, my smile turning fixed as I frantically tried to think of a way of excusing myself without it seeming forced, Pinkie Pie appeared from somewhere, the way she always does. I'm still not sure what she did there; my best guess is that she had followed her good friend, Rainbow Dash, without the pegasus pony's knowledge, thinking that her inimitable talents might somehow be useful. And she was right, as she so often and so frustratingly is.

She came straight at me, babbling some nonsensical story about glowing rocks she had found in the forest yesterday, and asking if I could help her recognize them. I tried to hide my relief as I allowed her to lead me away from the scene I'd incautiously interrupted.

With my metaphorical hoof out of the river and back on the dry land, things progressed their proper way between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. The most surprising element about the whole thing is that Pinkie's glowing rocks were not only real but in fact rather interesting: pieces of moonstone that had fallen to Earth from the Moon. I turned most of them over to Princess Luna, who is the pony best equipped to make use of them, but I kept a few pieces for my own research... including two beautiful shards I had made into necklaces that I gave to Applejack and Rainbow Dash when they finally made it official.


Applejack's Story

Well now, y'all; you've heard three versions of what went on between me an' Rainbow Dash back when we got together. Ah think you deserve to hear my version of the whole thing, too. Ah don't make the claim that this one's the real truth, mind you... but it sure is one truth, my truth.

The thing 'bout honesty is that most ponies think it just means tellin' the things like they are. That's a part of it, sure, but just a part. Knowin' when to speak an' when to keep yer muzzle shut is another important part, an' Ah don't think it's ever been more clear to me than it was back then.

Y'see, Ah knew very well that Rainbow Dash had a crush on me; Ah'm not an idiot, after all. The way she kept showin' up at the farm, nappin' in the apple trees or droppin' by to buy something in the market almost every day, crackin' a joke or boastin' about her flying... It didn't take me very long to figure out what she wanted from me.

Ah wasn't unhappy with it, not at all. See, Ah figured out long ago that my stable doors swing both ways, so to say, so Ah was just flattered that somepony as nice an' beautiful had taken interest in me. Yeah, Rainbow's not just brave an' loyal an' pretty fun, she's one of the most beautiful mares Ah've seen. Sure she ain't as sophisticated an' polished an' well-groomed as Rarity, but she's got a great body. She's lean an' tough, an' the way those muscles ripple in her flanks when she flies... Ah tell ya, the sight of it makes me all weak in the knees.

But that's as far as things went for a long while, an' Ah began to get a mite frustrated with Rainbow. Ah'm a practical gal, for sure, but Ah still like to be courted, an' Rainbow wasn't gettin' anywhere with that. So Ah started droppin' subtle hints that Ah was interested, an' open for her to make a move. But Ah reckon they were too subtle, or she was just too thick-headed to figure it out. Then she started crashin' into me, by "accident".

The first time was actually pretty fun, an' we got a nice little tumble on the ground together. The next time, the newness was goin' out of it, but Ah didn't mind much. An' the third time... that's when Ah realized she had no idea how to go ahead, or was too sissy to go an' ask me out. Either way, Ah was mighty disappointed, but Ah decided to give her some more time. Rainbow always seems to need a bit longer to figure this stuff out, Ah've noticed.

Then Ah got the note, an' Ah was happy as a hippo! Finally, Rainbow was makin' her move! Ah even showed it to Bic Macintosh. He's not only my brother, you see, he's just about the most level-headed an' thoughtful pony Ah know. Ah've asked for his opinion many a times, an' he's never given me bad advice yet.

"That ain't Dash's writing," he said, makin' me crash right down to earth again. "It's Pinkie Pie's. Ah've read enough of her invitations." Ah didn't bother askin' if he was serious. Big Mac's not the sort of pony who'd joke about somethin' like this. But he ain't infallible, so Ah didn't run out to town to kick Pinkie's face in, as much as Ah was tempted to do so.

Over the next coupla days, Ah calmed down again. Even if Mac was right, an' this was written by Pinkie instead of Rainbow, she meant well. Pinkie's weird an' random an' full of pranks, but she ain't mean. Ah owed it to Rainbow, an' to myself, to go an' see what it was about. Ah could always toss Pinkie into the lake later, or something. So Ah groomed me up the best Ah could, put new ribbons on my mane an' tail, an' headed out to meet her.

An' there she was, waitin' for me on top of the hill: Rainbow Dash. Made my heart leap, Ah tell y'all. "Heya, Rainbow," Ah said. "Ah got yer note, sayin' you had somethin' to discuss with me today." She looked real nervous at that. It might've been funny, but to me, it was just adorable.

Then she started talkin'. It was rushed an' a bit clumsy an' earnest, just like she was. Finally Rainbow shut up an' looked at me all anxious-like, like she was really dreadin' Ah told her to take a hike. Instead, Ah smiled at her, and gave a little nod. And then she was there, right in my face, an' we were kissin'.

Ah may have been the more mature of us two, but Ah admit Ah didn't have much practice with kissin'... Ah'd practiced with Braeburn back when we were just foals, an' there was a few times with Caramel at the harvest dance, but that's it. An' Ah never had kissed a mare before. You'd reckon it ain't no different, kissin' a mare or a stallion, but it is, at least to me.

Rainbow sure as sugar knew how to kiss a mare.

An' then, when we finally came up for a breather, what do Ah hear if not Twilight Sparkle pipin' up all cheery-like, right next to us. Rainbow stepped back like she'd been stung by a bee, an' Ah was kinda startled myself. It ain't that Ah'm ashamed of bein' who Ah am, or likin' other mares, but it's the sort of a thing you gotta tell your friends on your own time.

So there Ah was, rackin' my brain for somethin' to say, an' Twilight just stood there like a wooden Buffalo with that stupid grin on her muzzle. Rainbow's face was blushin' redder than her eyes, an' she was lookin' ready to fly away any second now...

An' just then, Pinkie Pie came outta somewhere, and practically tackled Twilight. She was talkin' a mile a minute as she led her away, hoof over her shoulders. Then, just as they was vanishin' behind the curve of the hill, she looks back with this huge grin – and believe me, Ah mean huge for Pinkie! – an' gives us a wink.

Ah waited for Rainbow to get her wits back; wanted to let her speak first. "Saved by Pinkie Pie," she said with a weird look on her face. "I guess letting her tag along was my second best idea today."

"Oh? An' just what was yer best idea?" Ah asked, smilin' an' battin' my eyelashes at her.

Rainbow's answer had no words, but it sure was eloquent. An' long. An' it satisfied my curiosity real nicely, Ah can tell y'all that! When Ah had my breath back, well… Twilight woulda said Ah started a dialog with Rainbow.

We're getting' along famously these days; we're happy, an' so are our friends an' family. It ain't no frilly frou-frou storybook love we've got, though. Rainbow's still lazy an' flighty an' she loves to rile me up... an' Ah'm still a mite proud an' stubborn, but at least Ah've learnt to love getting' riled up, if y'all catch my drift. We share most things these days, but Ah never have told Rainbow that Ah knew the whole time that she'd been chasin' me, or that Ah knew it was Pinkie who wrote that note.

Like Ah said, knowin' when to talk an' when to keep yer muzzle shut is a big part of honesty, an' that goes double for a happy relationship!

Comments ( 19 )

Hehe. I do love a good Rashamon plot. And this was handled beautifully. The only thing wrong, and this is a personal thing, is Pinkie and Twilight didn't get together. They're my favorite couple.

Spectacularly executed, in both story and in capturing each speaker's voice. I'm favoriting this as soon as I post this comment.

First shipping story that I would have ever come to read. Before I was like:

>Good story
or
>Romance

Now I'm like:
Why can't we have both? *Mexican fiesta*

Wait a second, I thought Dash's middle name was Danger... :scootangel:

Great story, I really love the picture you get from putting all four stories together.

Oh, and Gabriel, after your stories I have to agree with your preference for the pairing, but I think I'd be out of place here.

Wow, I really enjoyed reading this. I enjoyed how you used the different view points to describe the entire scene. And you were good enough to write about the same event but different enough where i didn't get bored reading about the same thing or bored that I knew what was going to happen next. I really hope you keep up the quality of this piece in your future fictions because I can't to see what you do next. *pushes the watch button* Oh! and you also get a like as well as :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache: 5 mustaches!

Very nice, great job!

I have only one thing to say:

D'awwww :pinkiehappy:

I give you a hat,:ajsmug:
a moustache,:moustache:
and a HOLY @#$% THAT WAS EPIC!!!:raritystarry::pinkiehappy::rainbowkiss::twilightsmile::yay::duck:

"Yeah, you heard me right: I, Rainbow Miriam Dash, the pony who'd faced every threat and every problem head on, flying at it, through it and past it, was sitting on her cowardly butt..."

I'm gonna stop here and point this out. You used Miriam as Rainbow's middle name. I was curious if you had a good reason, heard it somewhere, or just thought it sounded nice. So I look up the meaning of the name. The first definition I found was uncertain. So yeah, that just seemed like something I should point out. Rainbow Uncertain Dash was hesitating. The name more literally translated means strong waters. So I guess that works. Plus it does sound cool.

Okay, now I've finished reading. THIS WAS WONDERFUL AND YOU SHOULD FEEL WONDERFUL! The Descendant sent me, and I say he has good tastes.

My top compliment would have to be that you have an amazing character voice. AJ's accent might have been a little overplayed at times, but otherwise it was flawless. Usually I have to make myself read something in the character's voice; to get myself more absorbed in the story. With your writing, I did no such thing. The words themselves told me who was speaking and exactly how it should sound. Bravo.

If I had to make a complaint, it would be the lack of any punch to the ending. Each viewpoint revealed a little more. I suppose Applejack did finish up the story nicely, and we learned how she knew of RD's crush all along. Still, I just expected something really different and out there about Applejack's tale. Then again, this is what I would say if I was forced to make a complaint. I expected one thing, but I was certainly not disappointed by what I got.

Okay, final, final note: How long do you think we have until the show releases a Rashomon style episode? :twilightsheepish:

618399 Thank you! I'm glad you liked the story, even if it didn't fulfill your expectations at every point. :pinkiesmile:

I nabbed "Miriam" as Rainbow's middle name from another fic somewhere, but I no longer remember where. It seemed to suit her; what other meanings it has are just bonus!

I would expect a "Rashomon" episode sometime during the first half of S3, at this rate.

This was great! I really liked your characterization of everyone, I felt it was really accurate to the show (not like shipping happens in the show, but you know what I mean :derpytongue2: ) Your writing is really well done as well, and it flowed nicely. Keep up the awesome work :pinkiehappy:

I liked your story.:raritystarry:

Hmmmm. Well that was... Interesting. Not bad interesting, god no. It was really good! Not a complex story, very simple. The romance was nice, but there wasn't any particular energy to the story which actually felt by design. Low-energy on purpose, as everybody tells the story that everyone mostly knows except a few details which the tellers are happy to provide. 
I don't know, usually I can get damn near two pages of a review out of any story. ( I'm damn near infamous for it now.) 
Anyway, I'd just like to point out that I actually saw and favorited this shortly after I came to fimfiction, and it's always been on my to-read list, I just never got to it. Yeah, that's how many awesome stories I've read since I started. 1,000,000 words as of today, and it was actually your story that helped break that barrier. Anyway, it was just as good as I suspected back then, and I wish you all the best. I'd write you a poem just for the occasion of the million, but frankly, I'm dog-tired. So I'll just end with good luck and good night.

How... How was this not featured?! :pinkiegasp: Either way, loved it! Hope to see more AppleDash stories from you :ajsmug::heart::rainbowkiss:

1851081
Thanks! I'm finding myself shifting slowly but steadily towards trying some RariJack, but we'll see!

1852030 I've seen some AppleDash people mixing it up with some Rarijack... but (even though I like RariJack, I'm way more of an AppleDash fan) BUT... We shall do all that we can to have the AppleDash flow through you! Hehehe... :rainbowdetermined2:

I wish there were more Rashomon styled fanfics in this site. It would be awesome! :rainbowkiss::pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment