• Published 26th Aug 2013
  • 2,504 Views, 109 Comments

Dual Melody - Coolestninja1242



Vinyl and Octavia have been dateing and living to gether for a long time. Everything is great but Octavia is a changeling.Will the other changelings ever catch up to her, will Vinyl find out, will Lyra and Bon Bon get sound proofing for their room?

  • ...
12
 109
 2,504

Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I feel like I’ve hit a wall. I feel like I got the tar beaten out of me and have just been left to rot for six months. My current location? A Canterlot holding cell. Why am I here? I am a changeling who despite being a changeling was stupid enough to fall in love with an awesome pony, who I miss a lot. I am an enemy to pony kind a traitor to my own. My name is Octavia Melody and I play the cello.

Has it really been six months? Have I really been asleep since June? My body refuses to move, I ache everywhere and every breath is agony. Vinyl, I really hope you’re alright. “Sir!” I hear someone call out. “The changeling is awake.” My eyes slowly adjust to my surroundings. My foreleg is chained to the floor, through one of the holes in my legs no less. I shouldn’t have to tell you that is both excruciating and infuriating. I am in a cell, there is a bowl of water to my right, a bowl of food to my left, and the whole thing has an odd pink tint to it. Pink energy cannot be good. Too much pink energy is in fact dangerous.

A colt steps up to my cell, for an instant I mistook him for Vinyl. He has on a purple set of armor, the helmet was removed showing off his long blue locks. They matched Vinyl’s in color only, as did his fur. His horn was a glow with magic showing that he alone was the one keeping me imprisoned here. The prince of the Crystal Empire and captain of the royal guard, the colt who probably hates changelings the most, his royal highness Prince Shining Armor. He examines me for a moment only, I try not to move, I try not the breath. It feels as though my heart has stopped. He then calmly walks into my cell momentarily lowering the shield. “I’m assuming you know who I am.” he says taking a seat across from me. He exams my for leg, the one with the chain. “Who did this!?” It was less of a question and more of a demand. He uses his magic to unchain me and then reattach the restraint properly. “I’m so sorry about that, my men are usually pretty kind hearted, but we all have some bad history with the changelings I’m sure you understand. Please eat something, have something to drink.” He gestures towards the bowls of food and water. What’s his game? Why is he being so calm?

My people ruined his wedding and nearly killed him. There is no reason he should be treating me this nicely. I take a drink, water is something even changelings need. The food however would do nothing for me. I stare at it, “Why are you being so kind?” I ask in a dry, raspy, buzzing voice. I hate my changeling voice but I dare not change. I can feel the tension in the air, the stability of this situation depends on Prince Shining Armor and myself. “You have to understand my skepticism. My people ruined your wedding and nearly killed you. I see no reason for you to be so…clam.” I lower my head squinting at the prince. His similarity to Vinyl is extraordinary, I hope she’s okay.

Prince Shining Armor takes a look at the food and then back to me. “Glimmer you can come and remove the food dish.” Again the shield is lowered and a crystal Pegasus steps into my cell and removes the food dish. She begins to leave but prince Shining Armor lifts a hoof to stop her. “Glimmer would you mind backing me up for this questioning?” The crystal Pegasus lowers her head but sits. She’s rather standard as far as guards go, a shot, grey mane and tail, purple fur to match her purple armor. She looks at me rather uneasily. “Glimmer here is my body guard. My wife insisted I have one for this mission. She worries a lot, I still love her to bits.” Glimmer turns away looking both embarrassed and uncomfortable. “Glimmer here and most of my men think of you as a threat. My wife probably does too, but Princess Celestia herself gave me the debriefing and we think otherwise. Six months ago you fell into Canterlot like a green commit. You hit the ground hard, got up for a second and said one word before you collapsed, “Vinyl.” Now, I was called in a week after you fell and was immediately put in charge of watching over you, making sure you don’t escape, and finding out just who Vinyl is.” Glimmer looks down more embarrassed. What is up with this royal guard? “I have my theories, but I’d like to ask you some questions first. I’m sure you’re not comfortable like that.’ Prince Shining Armor gestures towards my whole self.

He’s right of course I hate being in my changeling form any more. It doesn’t feel like me but I don’t think he should know that. “I’m fine sir. Please ask away, I will do everything in my power to help.” Part of me keeps nagging at me to tell the prince to shove it, or try and rip his throat out, or to pretend to be Princess Cadence and feast upon his love. I’m not sure what’s keeping me in check, what’s letting me act on my better judgment despite my hunger. I take another look at Glimmer the crystal…unicorn? Wasn’t she a Pegasus not only a minute ago? My mind must have been playing tricks on me. “I hate the Queen as much as you do and would be happy to help…with one request.”

Prince Shining Armor smiles at me, I can almost see why the Princess and the Queen fell for him. He has a rather dashing smile, “Of course.” He lowers the shield completely. “I’d prefer to do my questioning before we talk about your request though if that’s alright with you.” His smile vanishes as he pulls up a clip board and quill. “Can you give me your name please?” I still don’t buy this overly polite bit. It doesn’t feel right, Glimmer staring at me constantly and then looking away when I look at her also doesn’t feel right.

This has to be a trap I’m sure of it, “Sir you must know changelings don’t have names. To our queen we’re each nameless bugs who share the same face. I’m not any different.” I take another drink. Maybe there’s a truth potion in the water. No, there’s no way he’d know that I’d need to drink. Besides that isn’t exactly the whole truth, at this point I’m not even sure I can call myself a changeling.

He smiles at me again looking up from his parchment, “I understand, but I thought that maybe you were more than a changeling. We have it on file from a source, a Miss Heartstrings if you must know, that you’d been posing as a pony for two years prior to this.” That’s his game.

He knows everything about me already he just wants me to confirm it. They’d gotten to Lyra and probably to Vinyl. No, I can’t think like that Lyra wouldn’t have told them about Vinyl, but she did tell them about me. Damn it Lyra. “That’s right.”

“So you know Miss Heartstrings?” Prince Shining Armor asks with a smirk.

“Yes.”

“Would you like to change your answer then?”

Damn it Lyra. “Octavia Melody. My name is Octavia Melody.” I lay down, I feel utterly defeated. How could Lyra do this to me? I look at Glimmer, she stares at me for a moment only and then looks away…blushing? What is going on here?

Prince Shining Armor jots something down, “We have it on record that a Miss Octavia Melody was born in ‘86 to a Octavian and Song Melody. Is that you?”

I sit back up uncomfortable, “Falsified records sir.” I actually forgotten I did that. I mean I didn’t exactly replace anyone so I needed some form of identification and well here we are. Maybe if I wasn’t such an idiot I wouldn’t have had to make fake documents but that’s not the world I live in.

Again Prince Shining Armor looks up from his parchment, “That’s a serious crime, but I’ll allow that for now if you answer one more question. Did you replace anypony?” He gets this serious look in his eyes. I can see Glimmer out of the corner of my eye, she looks like she wants to say something.

I take a deep breath, “No sir. There was a mare who looked similar and instead of replacing her I simply copied her and changed the color scheme. I was meant to run recon but met somepony and…well…fell in love.” I sigh loudly. “I really, really miss my mare friend. I just want to go home sir, I just want to make sure she’s okay and then I’ll leave forever, go back to the hive, let you and your princesses crush me like the bug I am…whatever it is you’re going to do to me, I’ll do it if I can just see Vinyl one more time.”

Prince Shining Armor fixes his paper work and makes way to leave, “That’s all the questions I have for now. Glimmer keep and eye on our Miss Melody, I know you want to.” The prince chuckles as he leave the cell shutting the door behind him. “I’m going to go fetch the princesses, try to keep everything PG you two.” Then he leaves the room.

“Y’sir…” Glimmer says in a somewhat filmier voice.

What did he mean by all that? I’m alone now in my cell, no in the whole room with the crystal pony Glimmer. She looks at me and starts to walk closer. I back away slowly, “Can I help you?” I say nervously. She still makes her way closer as I continue to back away. I feel my back hit the wall, “Eep.” I say quietly.

A changeling probably killed her boyfriend, or maybe her sister, or her mom. A changeling definitely killed somepony she cared about and now I’m gonna pay for it. I’m gonna pay for it and never see Vinyl again, this sucks. This really, really sucks. “Yeah,” she says coming way to closer for comfort. “I’m looking for my girlfriend.” A changeling killed her girlfriend, I knew it. I’m so dead. “Maybe you can help me find her.” She’s so close to me. “She’s got this long black mane, and this cool grey fur,” She’s whispering all of this into my ear, “and this purple treble clef as her cutie mark.” That…that sounds like somepony I know. Glimmer pushes me against the wall. “Her name is Octavia Melody, she’s a changeling, and she plays the cello.” Glimmer smiles at me, I just now noticed how much she looks like Vinyl. It wasn’t in obvious ways like fur color, mane color, or her cutie mark, but in more subtle ways like her eyes, her body shape, the way her face curves.

I’m all nerves right now and can’t help shaking. Red eyes just like Vinyl’s, how could I have missed it? “V-Vinyl?” My body reacts in away it never has before. As soon as I realized it was Vinyl pinning me to the wall I instantly changed into who I feel I really am. Octavia Melody, earth pony, cello player, Vinyl Scratch lover. “H-how?” It feels so good to hear my voice sounding normal and proper again. “Why do you look like that?” She kisses me lightly on the cheek.

Was this all part of some elaborate plan, “It’s a long story babe. When I heard about you crashing in Canterlot I came right away, Lyra came too but she went home a few months ago. She’s the only reason the princess talked to me. She went to school with Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadence, she convinced them to listen to me. They were looking for me any way.” Vinyl starts to tear up. “They didn’t really believe me at first, it didn’t make any sense to them. I mean you’re a changeling after all…why would you…why would a changeling be in love with somepony as awesome as me right?” She laughs while tears fill up her eyes.

“Vinyl…”

“So we hatched this plan, I’d pose as a guard when you woke up using some potion Princess Twilight and Princess Celestia cooked up. I mean the affects are only work for a little while. I‘m sure you can see that..” I can see, her manes nearly gone back to normal. “I mean their little theory was you’d be able to sense I was there and be more like you, you over you know changeling you, you.” She wraps her forelegs around me and nuzzles her muzzle into my shoulder. “I-I’ve missed you so much Octi.”

I hug Vinyl back, “I’ve missed you too Vinyl.”

Author's Note:

Coming to an end guys, I'm not saying this is the last chapter because it's not but we're getting there. Merry Christmas I'm gonna try to update Get your Own Stupid Unicorn before I go back to school in early January.

Comments ( 7 )

Yay update.
A nice one at that too!

EEEEEEEEEEEE!

Glimmer keep and eye on our Miss Melody, I know you want to.

Glimmer keep an eye on our Miss Melody, I know you want to.

5439678 Wow that one makes me feel really stupid xD. My own fault for not really reading it over before posting it.

5444991 When I'm done with the series as a whole I plan to go back and fix everything up to the best of my ability. Not the best time to do it I know but it probably will be the only way it gets done.

I'm stuck at an abandoned story

I'm so late:rainbowlaugh:

I'm sad this ends in such a kinda bittersweet way.

Login or register to comment