• Published 26th Aug 2013
  • 2,504 Views, 109 Comments

Dual Melody - Coolestninja1242



Vinyl and Octavia have been dateing and living to gether for a long time. Everything is great but Octavia is a changeling.Will the other changelings ever catch up to her, will Vinyl find out, will Lyra and Bon Bon get sound proofing for their room?

  • ...
12
 109
 2,504

Chapter Six

Chapter Six

How long has Lyra been gone? I feel like I’ve been on this sofa for days. I’m tired but I can’t sleep. That emptiness in my chest won’t go away, if anything it’s gotten worse. I miss Vinyl. I can still see her smile. I stare off into space, I can almost see her, almost touch her. “Vinyl?” I grab on to somepony.

“No Octavia for the fifteenth time its Bon Bon. You know the mare who you’re staying with? The one who’s wife you sent out with your crazy ex. You know the one? Lyra, mint green unicorn with the adorable snout, gave up the party life and is probably passed out in a gutter some where because your ex pushed her too hard? I’m not worried or pissed off at all.” She says sarcastically.

Luna’s moon is high in the sky, I’m not even sure what time it is and frankly I don’t care. I’m not even sure when Lyra left. I’m so fuzzy on everything right now. I’m having a hard time remembering who I am, where I am, or why I’m here. All I can see is this wonderful, white, unicorn smiling at me and that hurts. I’m not sure why it hurts but it hurts.

My stomach growls loudly. “Are you sure you don’t want something to eat Octavia?” This tan pony mare keeps calling me that. She keeps calling me Octavia. Who’s Octavia? Am I Octavia? I am. I am Octavia. I need to hold it together I must just be hungry. What do I eat? Well from the looks of it I’m an earth pony so I must eat…pancakes and things like that?

No, No. I’m not an earth pony. I’m a changeling I feel the magic drop and I’m the creature I’m suppose to be again. I feed off of love. I could feed off of this mare. What does this mare like? She said something about a mint green unicorn did she not? I could change into that. I need to feed.

No, no, no! I can still see the white unicorn smiling at me. Her smile is both haunting and warming at the same time. I let the magic make me that earth pony again. I need to focus. Focus, you are Octavia Melody, that is Bon Bon. Bon Bon is your friend. She is not food. You are a changeling but you do not feed off of friends. You do not trick your friends into thinking you’re their wife and then feed off of their love. As much as you really need to right now.

I sit down, the room is spinning and I feel like I might pass out. When was the last time I’d eaten? Who’s the white unicorn? Why is she smiling at me? Why won’t she go away, or rather why isn’t she here. I need to focus. Octavia Melody, that’s Bon Bon, we don’t feed off of Bon Bon. Changeling, changelings feed off of love. I could feed off of Bon Bon, no Bon Bon is friend we don’t feed off of friends. I can feel the magic changing and tearing me apart with every thought. It stops, I’m a changeling

“I need to eat!” I yell out in a pained, almost demonic voice. Bon Bon grabs me and stuffs something in my mouth. It taste sweet, and wonderful, and reminds me of Vinyl. The white unicorn. Her name is Vinyl Scratch, she’s my mare friend…and I love her. I’m still a little shaky, but I feel better. I feel fuller. “What was that?” I ask Bon Bon who seems to be enjoying some of them herself.

“My world famous Bon Bon’s. Made with love. Did they actually help?” I take the rest of the box and scarf them down like somepony who hasn’t eaten for days. “I’ll take that as a yes. You were starting to scare me there for a little bit Octavia. I thought you were going to attack me or something.”

So sweet. So tasty. They almost taste like Vinyl’s love for me, almost. I sigh, “To bad I can’t just eat these instead of feeding off of Vinyl. That would make things so much simpler.”

Bon Bon sits next to me, “Why not?” She asks taking the now empty box.

“It just doesn’t work that way. I feed off of her naturally. Its not something I can really turn on or off.”

Bon Bon sets the empty box on the table next to us, “So, wait. Does that mean you can feed off my love for Lyra? Like if me and Lyra are having a sweet moment you can feed off of it?”

I shake my head, “No it has to be directed toward me. I can feel it. Its nice, you two are really sweet but I can’t eat it.” Me and Bon Bon sit in silence for a long time. “Those things were great though.” I finally say breaking the silence.

“Thanks…Octavia I have a question.”

It’s not like she didn’t have questions before. I smile trying to keep things casual. Ignore the fact that I nearly drained her dry of all the love she has for Lyra. “Shoot.” I say with a smile. I change back into my earth pony skin realizing I was still a changeling.

“Why are you still here?”

Why am I still here? Any sane pony would’ve left ages ago. Any changeling would have left after they had been found out, but nope I’m still here waiting for Vinyl to take me back. I’m being completely selfish. “I’m being selfish.” I tell Bon Bon. “I’m being selfish and I’m being stupid and…and I just can’t imagine my life with out her any more. I know what I’m doing is wrong but I can’t stop. Bon Bon…I need help.” There has to be a way that I can make this work. A way for me to make up for the huge lie I told, a way to make me a real earth pony and not some horrible monster feeding off of somepony I claim to love. I can’t do this any more. Tears well up in my eyes and I find the picture I took of Vinyl and me. She’s so beautiful, she so wonderful, and I’m killing her. She’s gotten so skinny lately…I’m afraid she’ll just blow away in a light breeze soon.

Bon Bon wrap’s her hooves around me, and I begin to feed off of the small amount of love she’s showing me. “Octavia listen,” She begins. “If Lyra doesn’t come back soon I will break your neck. Understand?” What? That’s horrible! It’s not even that late! It’s only…3 o’clock in the morning and Lyra left around seven. Oh pony feathers she’s been gone that long? Which means Vinyl has also been gone that long. Oh no. “I feel for you Octavia.” Bon Bon says in an uncomfortably sweet tone petting my mane. “But so help me if Lyra isn’t back with in the hour I will crush you like the bug you are.” She keeps the same sweet tone of voice. Bon Bon scares me.

I pull away shaking in my skin, “I-I’m sure they’ll be back shortly.” I laugh. “I mean what’s the worse that can happen…aside from passing out in the gutter, getting pony napped, mugged and left for dead, oh and the changelings are in town so they might see them roaming around and, and, and…We need to call the police! What if any of that happened? No, no wait we can’t call the police they’ll find out I’m a changeling and alert the royal guards, they’ll torture me and put me in pony prison. I can’t go to pony prison! Do you know what they’d do to a changeling in pony prison?!” I grab Bon Bon shaking her. “They’d have me turn into what every they wanted! I’d be the inmates new favorite toy! I’d get passed around like a pair of well used socks!” Bon Bon smacks me across the face.

“Octavia!” She yells. “Calm down. I’m sure they’re fine, we don’t need to call the police. No pony else is going to find out that you’re a changeling. Worse comes to worse we’ll go look for them.”

That won’t be necessary though. Just as we begin to sit down again Lyra burst through the door with Vinyl on her back. “Vinyl!” I yell running over. She’s out could but for the most part doesn’t appear to be any worse for the wear. She reeks like alcohol, but that was expected. Lyra reeks too, she has a black eye, and some other scrapes and burses too. Bon Bon lightly slaps Lyra across the face with her hoof.

“That’s what you get for scaring me.” They hug as Lyra levitates Vinyl over to the sofa. “Now, what happened?” Bon Bon asks shutting the door and locking it. She then checks out the peek hole to make sure no pony else is there. “I hope you two didn’t get into too much trouble.”

“Oh relax Bonny even if we were being followed the epicness that is me lost them ages ago.” Lyra walks over the ice box and pulls out a bottle of water. Don’t listen to what any pony tells you, Manehatten city water taste like sewage. She takes a long sip from the bottle as I sit down next to Vinyl. She has a few cuts on her face but nothing major. I wonder…I let myself slip into my changeling form and gently touch my bent up horn to Vinyl’s face.

I focus on how it normally looks, not scratched like it is now and…It worked. It actually worked. The scratches are gone. I was able to use my changeling magic for something good. “Lyra come here a second.” I put my horn on Lyra’s eye.

“What’er you doing Tavia?” She asks putting down the water bottle. Focus on Lyra’s face, how it should look. No black eye, no scratches or burses, just Lyra. I feel a small burst of magic and then open my eyes to see if it was successful. I back away with a smile and see Lyra feel her eye. “Tavia…what did you do?”

I laugh loudly and whole heartedly. “Changelings can heal themselves…but apparently we can heal others as well. This is an amazing discovering I might actually be able to do some good! This is amazing if we can do this maybe I won‘t have to leave. Maybe I can figure out a way to stay in town and maybe even figure out a way to stop feeding.”

“One problem.” Bon Bon points out. “You’re an earth pony. Other ponies would get suspicious of an earth pony who can do magic.” She’s right but it was a nice thought any way. You can’t blame me for trying Bon Bon. She sits next to Lyra throwing away the empty water bottle. “Now back to what I asked when you two came in. What happened?” I guess we’re moving away from my amazing discovering. Fine, what ever. I wanted to know that too any way. No sense in arguing, besides Bon Bon still scares me. I’m surprised she hasn’t turned me into a candy coated cockroach because of that black eye Lyra had.

Lyra yawns loudly. “I don know Bonny it’s a pretty long story an’ it’s pretty late. You sure you wanna hear this all right now?” Which is Lyra for we got into some shenanigans we shouldn’t have and I don’t want to make you mad. Bon Bon and I both nod as I take my seat next to a Vinyl Scratch that is still out cold. I guess I can’t fix that. Oh well, I stroke her mane peacefully as she smiles sweetly in her sleep. “Alright I’ll tell ya guys but you gotta promise no interruptions.” She looks at me.

“Me interrupt? I’d never.”

Lyra smiles at me, “The human’s tell me you’ve been doing this narrator thing Tavia. Well no more of that. For the time being this is now officially my story.”

Author's Note:

Happy Thanksgiving! (alright I'm early make something of it. I consider this a gift for the day regardless.) Shorter chapter than the last I think but that's alright I still had fun messing with Octavia and got a lot accomplished. Added a bit more to my list of "Things Changelings Can Do", flushed out Bon Bon a bit more, had Lyra break the forth wall. Brought Vinyl back into the story, all and all I like this chapter. Next chapter (That's chapter seven) will take place in a flash back told to us from Lyra's perspective. I hope that was clear in the story itself. Part of me wanted to do a bit of a back and forth between narrator Octavia and Lyra arguing over this but I decided against it because re-reading it I was confused with who was talking and what was going on. Hope you all like the chapter and thank you to everyone who has liked, commented, and has just read the story in general. Despite the fact that I had sworn that I would never write fan fiction again this has been pretty fun for me and a lot of you have made it fun for me again. So thank you.