• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 29,649 Views, 929 Comments

Bride of Discord - DisneyFanatic23



Discord returns and will only relieve Equestria of his havoc in exchange for a bride.

  • ...
59
 929
 29,649

The Date

"The portal's ready," Discord said after conjuring a swirling red void.

All the animals were gathered in front of the portal, staring at it questioningly. The draconequus looked to Fluttershy.

"Are you ready?"

She inhaled deeply. "Yes." She turned to the crowd of creatures. "My friends, I know some of you are unhappy here and wish to go, so..I'm giving you a chance. This portal here will take you anywhere you want."

There was much chatter among the animals.

"Don't worry about me. I love every one of you, but…you can't stay here for my sake, not forever. I...I'll be fine."

After hearing some more chirping, Fluttershy hung her head.

"No...you won't see me again if you leave."

Angel stepped forth and pointed towards Discord.

"He won't hurt me. Really, I can take care of myself."

The animals she had been friends with for years squeaked in protest.

"You can take care of yourselves as well. You did fine without me before, you'll be fine without me now. You...you don't need me anymore." She floated to the ground. "The portal's there. The choice is yours."

For a while, the animals stood there, wondering what to do. Then a few headed towards the portal. Fluttershy turned away, unable to watch. She could hear the electric noise as the animals stepped through the void. She tried to hold back the tears, but it was no use. She ran to the nearest tree and buried her face in her hooves and began weeping.

After a while, she could no longer hear any chirps, squeaks or grunts. She did not need to turn around to know that they were all gone now. Then she felt something soft patting her head. She looked up and saw Angel smiling at her. Other animals surrounded her, some badgers, squirrels birds, ducks and mice who had stayed behind.

"But..." she stammered. "I don't understand..."

They all chimed in unison, as if to say: "We're not going anywhere."

She sniffed. "Thank you, friends."

But she could not help but weep for the animals that had left. After closing the portal, Discord cautiously approached his fiancé. He got a few angry glares from the animals, but Fluttershy raised her hoof, assuring that it was alright. Still glaring at the draconequus, they slowly broke apart. Discord knelt down to her.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she choked.

"That was...very brave of you."

"I know. I just...can't help..."

She buried her face in his fur and cried. Discord slowly wrapped his arms around her and stroked her mane.

"Shhh," he whispered. "There, there. They're happy now, aren't they? That should make you happy, right?"

"I suppose," she sobbed.

"No more tears then."

He took her face in his hands and wiped away her tears. He had to think of a way to cheer her up. Then it hit him.

"How about I take you out to dinner tonight?"

Fluttershy blinked in confusion. "Out?"

He nodded with a grin.

"You mean...outside the castle?"

"Well, I understand if you're not up for it..."

"No! That would be wonderful."

"I'll see you at seven, then?" She nodded as he pulled away. "Oh and why don't we make this a formal occasion? So wear something nice."

"Alright. Tonight then."


Discord watched his mirror as it showed Cheerilee and Big Macintosh on another date.

"How does he do it?" he wondered aloud. "The boy hardly says a word and still manages to win the girl over. Meanwhile, I've been courting this pony for almost a month and we still haven't gotten past the 'friend' level."

It was clear that his current tactics weren't getting him anywhere. He had to try something different tonight. That's why he was watching the pony couple, to see what he could use. They were having lunch at a café, sharing a milkshake with two straws.

"So how was the harvest today?" Cheerilee asked her date.

"Tough," was all Big Mac said.

"I know how it is. My class was noisy this morning." She glanced at the clock tower. "Ooh, speaking of which, I better get back to the school. See you tonight?"

"Yup," the red stallion nodded.

Before standing up, Cheerilee leaned over and gave him a peck on the lips. Discord's eyes widened at this action. Of course! Why didn't I think of it before?!

Now he knew he had to make this night perfect.


Fluttershy was pacing around her room, Angel standing impatiently on her bed.

"Ooh, what should I wear?" She held up a green dress in front of the mirror. "This one? No." She picked up a blue dress. "This one? No." The next was red. "Maybe? Oh, where's Rarity when you need her?!"

Angel thumped his foot on the bed to get her attention. She turned to him as he squealed.

"Why am I so nervous? Oh, I don't know! I just...want to look nice for him..."

The rabbit glared at her, as if to say: "Why should you bother looking good for that creep?"

"Oh, Angel, he's tried so hard to impress me. The least I can do is to make an effort as well. I know you don't like him, but believe me when I say he's not as bad as you think. You wouldn't be here with me if it weren't for him."

Angel snorted. "You wouldn't be here in the first place if it weren't for him!"

"The wedding is going to happen, Angel. There's nothing I can do but try to love him. I'm going to be here forever whether I marry him or not."

The bunny turned away in a huff. Fluttershy sighed and flew over to the vanity. As she gazed in the mirror, she thought of all the times Discord had called her beautiful. Although she would never admit it, just being with him made her feel beautiful. That's why she had to look her best tonight.

She did not know where these thoughts were coming from. Since when did she care so much about her appearance? Because he thinks I'm beautiful, she thought, and I have to be beautiful just for him.

Fluttershy spun around to face Angel. "Can you at least help me pick out a dress?"

The rabbit stared at her for a moment, then hopped down and began rummaging through the closet.


Discord spent the rest of the day searching for other couples in Equestria to learn from and also did some digging into Fluttershy's past, watching it all in the mirror. His favorite part was seeing Fluttershy flip out at the Grand Galloping Gala three years ago. It made her all the more interesting.

It was now five minutes to seven and Discord was making last minute adjustments to his appearance. The tuxedo he had summoned made him feel ridiculous, but he had a girl to impress, so he was willing to suffer whatever pain to do so. He could do nothing to improve his physical appearance, however. He was able to change form, but he had figured out long ago that no matter what he turned into, part of his deformed figure would remain. For instance, if he turned into a pony, the antler and horn would still be on his head, his eyes yellow and red, his bushy eyebrows and beard, all reminders of what he was. There was no use changing anyway if Fluttershy knew of his true self.

"Okay, Discord," he said to his reflection. "You can do this. You can do this!"

He licked his paw and slicked his mane back, only to have it pop back up. He sighed in defeat.

"Oh, who am I kidding? I can't do this! Discord, wake up and smell the hummus! She's the most beautiful creature in the world and I'm..." he looked in the mirror and sighed again, "...not worthy of her."

He slumped to the ground. "What's the use? Even if she's already engaged to me, she'll never really want me. I might as well give up."

As Discord wallowed in his misery, he thought back to when she had called him her friend for the first time. She had said it without hesitation and had snuggled up to him without a trace of fright. Maybe...just maybe...

The draconequus blinked away the tears and stood tall. "This is no time to sulk, Discord! There's a beautiful mare waiting for you and you're going to sweep her off her feet!"

He teleported outside of Fluttershy's bedroom and was about to knock when a thought occurred to him.

"Hold on. If you're going to do this, do it right!"

He summoned a bouquet of roses and straightened his tux. He then knocked on the door and heard the angelic voice from inside: "One minute!"

As he waited, Discord started sweating.

"Alright, no need to be nervous," he muttered to himself. "Just one girl. Just one amazing, beautiful...my, it's hot in here." He tugged at his collar. "You can do this. Whatever you do, don't look like a..."

"Discord?"

He was so distracted he had not heard the door open. He quickly straightened himself up and forced a smile.

"Fluttershy! You ready to...?"

He stopped at the extraordinary sight before him and nearly dropped the bouquet. She wore a golden dress, roses and vines embroidered along the skirt. Her hair was tied into a long ponytail hanging loosely over her shoulder. She wore only a little makeup that gave her face a slight glow. When she looked up at him, her teal eyes seemed to sparkle.

"Is everything alright?"

Discord opened his mouth, but no words came out. Fluttershy glanced down at her attire.

"Is it too much? I can change, if you'd like."

"No!" he blurted. Then he pulled himself together and cleared his throat. "You look...amazing."

She turned away with a blush. Discord then remembered the bouquet and handed it to her.

"For you, my dear."

Fluttershy took the flowers with a smile. "Thank you, but...I'm all out of vases..."

"I'll fix that."

He snapped his fingers and a new dresser appeared in her room, a vase on top. The roses then floated over to it and settled themselves inside. Discord had an idea and made one of the roses come back. He bent down to Fluttershy and fixed the flower into her hair. He took a step back to admire her.

"It suits you."

Fluttershy blushed again. "You're too sweet. So where are we going?"

Discord turned his back to her and crouched down. "Hop on and I'll show you!"

Her eyes widened. "You mean...climb on your back?"

"Yes, we're flying there!"

"Oh but...I can fly by myself..."

"Well, where's the fun in that? Besides, I don't want you to wear your precious wings out, my dear."

"Um...okay."

She hesitantly crawled onto Discord's back and locked her hooves around his neck. The draconequus turned around and opened one of the windows.

"Hold on tight," he whispered to his passenger.

He unfolded his wings and raced towards the window. Fluttershy shut her eyes and let out a squeak as he launched into the air.

"Woo hoo!" Discord cried. "Fluttershy, you've got to look at this view!"

His only response was a whimper. He turned his head to see the pegasus burying her face into his neck. He raised an eyebrow.

"You can look, you know?"

"But it's so..." Fluttershy stammered, "...high."

"Oh come on! Don't tell me you're afraid of heights! You're a pegasus for crying out loud!"

"It's um...not of heights, it's of...falling."

"You have wings! How can you...?" Discord sighed. "Look, if you fall, I'll catch you, alright? I promise."

Fluttershy stopped shuddering. He was right. She was being ridiculous. Hesitantly, she opened her eyes and glanced down at the Everfree Forest below her. She immediately closed her eyes again.

"Are we going to land soon?" she pleaded.

The draconequus rolled his eyes. "Alright, hold your horses!" He snickered. "Get it? Hold your horses?!" He waited for a laugh, but got a whine instead. "Fine. Ooh, there's a good spot!"

He slowly descended into a large clearing in the wood. He snapped his fingers and turned to the shivering pony on his back.

"It's okay. You can let go now."

Fluttershy opened her eyes and floated to the ground. She glanced at their surroundings and gasped at the sight of a table draped in a white cloth with a candle in the middle. Two covered dishes were set in front of two cushioned dining chairs. As a last minute touch, Discord summoned a violin, playing softly by itself in midair. He bowed to his date, gently taking her hoof.

"Shall we, my dear?"

She giggled as he lightly kissed her hoof. He then ushered her to one of the chairs, holding it out for her as she sat down and pushed it back in. Fluttershy was impressed at what a gentlecolt he was being.

"And what would my dear, sweet Fluttershy like to eat?" Discord inquired as he seated himself.

"Um...salad?"

"I know just the thing!"

He snapped his fingers and when Fluttershy lifted the cover of her dish, she saw a bowl of bright green leaves with no stems, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, feta cheese and ranch dressing. It was just the way she liked it. She had stopped asking how he found out about these things.

Discord had a chocolate milkshake, though as he sipped through the straw, the glass disappeared rather than the liquid. Again, Fluttershy knew better not to question the Spirit of Chaos.

"This was really nice of you," she said with a smile.

"Well," he chuckled, "I think we've both been cooped up in that castle for too long. Besides, it is lovely out here!"

She gazed into the darkness of the trees. "What if a Timberwolf or something shows up?"

He waved his paw nonchalantly. "Please, I'm the scariest thing you'll find in this forest."

She looked at him shyly. "I don't think you're scary."

Discord tried to contain his joy at hearing her say that. "Well, there you go! Nothing else should frighten you then!"

"Oh...um...I'm not brave..."

"Um, hello? Is this the same pony who sacrificed herself to save her country? You can't get braver than that!" He paused. "I've always wondered, by the way. What made you decide to accept my deal?"

Fluttershy glanced down at her plate. "Well...I...you see...I had to save the princesses and...I've always wanted to be brave. I guess that was my chance."

He leaned forward onto his claw. "What about your friends?"

She winced at the mention of them. "Well...they wouldn't have been better off spending an eternity in darkness."

Seeing her saddened expression, Discord realized he had to change the subject and fast. "Well, out with the old and in with the new, I always say!"

"When did you ever say that?"

"Just now!"

He summoned them each a wine glass, filling them with grape juice. He raised his glass.

"A toast to the future!"

Fluttershy gave him a small smile and clinked her glass with his. It was only now that she started growing suspicious. They had had a candlelit dinner before, but dressing up, playing romantic music and talking about the future? Not only that, but they were out in the open where someone might see them. He was up to something.

When she had finished eating, the violin started playing a rendition of "Some Pony to Love."

"You hear that, dear?" Discord said. "They're playing our song!"

He teleported beside her and bowed. "May I have this dance?"

She stared at his open paw for a while and then slowly took it. In a flash, the clearing had turned into a marble pavilion, the columns decorated in flowered vines, candles illuminating the tiled floor. He led her to the middle and pulled her close.

He twirled her around as he had done the first time they danced, until the song changed.

"Hmm," Discord mused. "This one's a bit slower. Oh well, might as well comply with the maestro."

"But you..." Fluttershy was about to say, but was cut short as he snaked his paw around her waist and gently took her hoof in his claw.

Now he's leading me in a waltz? He's definitely up to something.

Neither of them noticed the alicorn flying above them. Princess Luna was making her nightly rounds when she spotted the pavilion, knowing it had not been there the night before. She cautiously flew closer and gasped seeing Fluttershy in the arms of the monster! She was about to charge toward them when she heard the music playing from a violin missing its musician.

This was a direct violation of the agreement made! Discord was not supposed to create his chaos outside of the castle ruins! This meant he no longer had right to his claim on Fluttershy! Twilight Sparkle had passed on the message that she was not yet his wife. Luna now had the chance to rescue the pony.

She made ready to charge, but then looked at the scene more closely. Discord was dancing with the pegasus! And she showed no resistance! Curious as to what was going on, Luna dove behind some bushes and watched.

The waltz was difficult for Discord, because Fluttershy was so much smaller than him. He could not hold his arm outward without straining her foreleg, which is why he turned and dipped her as much as he could. Eventually, he found a solution and placed his claw on her waist along with his paw, bringing them closer together.

"Where did you learn to dance like this?" Fluttershy inquired as he dipped her again.

He smirked as he slowly brought her back up. "You'd be surprised how much you can learn watching from afar."

She glanced around nervously. "Discord, what is this all a...?"

"Shhh," he whispered, putting a finger to her lips. "No words, my dear. Let's just enjoy this beautiful night."

Luna could not believe what she was seeing. It was hard enough with Discord dancing the waltz, but since when did he compliment on her night?

She did not understand why the pegasus was so calm. She was in the arms of the creature who had stolen her away to be his bride. What had happened in the past month that made her suddenly unafraid of him? She had to be under a spell, but Luna could sense that sort of enchantment and there was none on Fluttershy.

The pegasus was not the only one who seemed different. Discord's eyes never left Fluttershy and he was gentle with every movement he made with her. Also, what he had created out here was not his usual wacky construction. Everything was orderly, even the tuxedo he was wearing. A tuxedo! His voice was different as well, softer and kinder. This was not the draconequus Luna had helped turn to stone.

It had to be an act. He was pulling this charade to seduce the pegasus. That had to be it!

Then something shocking happened. As they were turning slowly, Fluttershy laid her head onto Discord's chest. He looked just as surprised as Luna was. Then his expression turned into a smile and he tenderly stroked his partner's mane, staring at her dreamily.

Luna's jaw dropped. She knew that look. Could it be that the Lord of Chaos was in...?

She shook the idea out of her mind. No, it was impossible! With a heart as stone cold as his, there was no way he could be capable of such an emotion! Creatures like him could never change!

Then again, who was she to judge someone in such a manner? She of all ponies should know better than to label someone as completely evil. She had been wondering why Discord had demanded a bride. Seeing the way he was looking at Fluttershy right now helped her to comprehend.

A thousand years, he had suffered alone, as did she. The difference between them was that Luna had her sister. Discord had no one to let him in, until now, it seemed. So was this genuine?

When the song ended, Discord summoned a stone bench right in front of Luna's hiding place. The princess ducked as he led Fluttershy over. She decided to let this offense slide and teleported out of there before she could be spotted.

The two sat there awkwardly for a while, waiting for the other to break the ice. They stole glances at each other, but looked away before the other could notice. Fluttershy smoothed out her dress while Discord rubbed the back of his neck before looking at her again. After a few minutes, she finally caught him.

"What are you staring at?" she asked quietly.

Discord smirked as if the answer was obvious. "Why you, of course."

A chill ran down her spine as he reached out and brushed his claw against her cheek.

"So beautiful," he whispered.

Fluttershy kindly pushed his claw away. "Is that all you can say?"

He blinked in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Don't get me wrong. I'm flattered, but..." She looked away. "Is that the only reason you like me? That you think I'm a pretty face?"

"Oh, Fluttershy, no! How can you say that?" He took her hooves. "First of all, your face is not pretty, it's beautiful and second, I don't think you're beautiful, you are beautiful! Of course I admire you for it, but that's not the only reason. You're gentle, kind, brave, you have a lovely voice, your Stare practically turns me on..." Discord winced. "Forget that last part. The point is that I find everything about you fascinating."

Fluttershy blushed slightly. "That's very sweet."

He curved his body around her, placing his hands on her shoulders. "I speak the truth, my dear. You are everything I could ever ask for."

She closed her eyes as he leisurely ran his fingers through her hair. His face was so close that she could feel his warm breath. A month ago, this would have frightened her, but now, she just wanted him to keep stroking her, soothing her, whispering these things in her ear. Whenever he was around, she felt safe and secure, beautiful and important, cared for and adored.

"Fluttershy," Discord whispered.

"Mmm-hmm?" she uttered absent-mindedly.

"Might I ask you a teensy question? It's not the usual one!"

"Mmm-hmm."

He turned her head towards him. "May I kiss you?"

Fluttershy opened her eyes in shock. "What?"

He quickly moved away from her. "Sorry, I...I've just never kissed anyone before and...since we're friends, you wouldn't mind..."

"Okay," she replied weakly.

"You know, just this once, and...wait. What was that?"

She breathed and boldly faced him. "One k-k-kiss w-wouldn't hurt."

Discord stared at her as she shut her eyes and waited. For a moment, he hesitated. He was not expecting for her to actually cooperate. This might be his only chance.

He gently took her face in his hands and leaned forward. What if she doesn't enjoy it? What if she hates me for the rest of my life? What are you waiting for? Do it now!

He panicked and kissed her on the forehead before quickly pulling away. Fluttershy opened her eyes in confusion.

"Discord," she said slowly, "are you...nervous?"

He scoffed. "Nervous? W-why should I be nervous?"

"It's okay. I'm nervous too."

The draconequus blinked. "You are?"

She hung her head. "Well...I've never been kissed either and...if I'm never going to meet any pony else in my life..." She trailed off and looked back up at him. "I won't mind. Go ahead."

Discord gulped. "Um...alright. Here it goes."

She closed her eyes as he leaned toward her again. He was only an inch away from her lips when his panic returned. When nothing happened for a while, Fluttershy closed the gap between them, causing Discord's eyes to widen in shock. Unbeknownst to him, his pupils became heart shaped and after a few seconds, his eyelids slid closed.

Never in his existence had he experienced such a thing as wondrous as this. He did not want it to end, but she broke away too soon. Fluttershy glanced off to the side, while Discord recovered from his stupor.

"That was..." he stammered.

"...nice," she finished.

Neither of them said anything for a while.

"How about another dance?" he asked suddenly.

After dancing a few more songs, Fluttershy let out a yawn.

"Are you alright, my dear?"

She nodded. "I'm just tired. Can we go home now?"

He grinned at the fact that she had called his castle 'home' and scooped her into his arms. "Of course, my sweet."

They disappeared in a flash, along with the pavilion, returning it to the clearing it was before. They reappeared in front of Fluttershy's bedroom.

"Do you want me to tuck you in?"

"No, thank you," the pegasus said, flying out of his arms. "Thank you for tonight. It was lovely."

She surprised him with a peck on the cheek. "Good night."

"Sleep well, my sweet," Discord said, putting a hand where she had kissed him.

She did not take his eyes off him until the door was shut. Discord then teleported to his room and cried, "Yes!"

He brought the bed down so it could catch him as he collapsed. He had just kissed the most beautiful pony in the world and she was one step closer to finally becoming his.

After replaying the events of the evening in his head, his grin slowly disappeared as realization hit him.

There was no use denying it anymore.

"I've fallen in love with her."