• Published 19th Aug 2013
  • 1,390 Views, 32 Comments

Times Change - redandready45



A lonely guy operating a bed and breakfast learns more than he ever could imagine about the regular old pony he adopted years ago. And with the help of two strange guests, he is about to find out what.

  • ...
11
 32
 1,390

A Drink and a Day for Indepedence

July 3,

Dennis pulled up to the Frosty Spring in his old Chevelle. Normally, he kept the car locked in his garage, but he felt like taking it out for a spin. He pulled up and parked along the sidewalk. He stepped out of the car, in his usual attire of polyester purple jacket, jeans, and one mustache.

He walked inside, ringing the bell along the door, and alerting people to his presence

"Dennis," screamed everybody in the bar ,"how's it been," said one of the patrons in the bar. He was wearing a blue buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up, his brown overalls, and black shoes, his elbows leaning on the counter.

"Hey John," said Dennis as he walked up to counter.

"So my competition," said John in a hammy voice ," I heard you got two customers for the first time/'

"Yeah," said Dennis enthusiastically ,"these two girls from Stony Brook."

"Your alma mater," asked John.

"Yeah, astronomy majors," said Dennis sadly, "why couldn't they have gone north, where you can actually see the stars?"

"Man, you don't seem happy," said John ,"two customers, what's the deal?"

"It's just," said Dennis, " these girls are weird."

"You wanna see weird," said John ," how about some guy in camouflage holding a giant sub machine gun in his arms, how about some old lady in a mink coat who dresses a chihuahua in a jacket worth more than why spend on groceries, how about a girl who calls herself Elizabeth Taylor and dresses up like Cleopatra. When all these people check in to your hotel, you can talk about weird."

"Oh yeah," said Dennis ,"that was one hell of a Thanksgiving."

"From that day forward, Mildred never could touch cranberry sauce," said John sadly. "The point is, being in hospitality, your always going to encounter people from all over, who will strike you as weird."

"Or maybe," said a deep obnoxious voice, " these girls are making his heart sink."

"Hey Rodger," said Dennis and John solemnly, looking toward the right at a guy staring in front of the dartboard, his large stomach the size of a beach ball barely contained by his black polo shirt, his chestnut hair barely covered by a Yankees hat turned backward. He also wore blue sweatpants, and pure white sneakers. In his right hand was were three blue darts, and in his left was a mug filled with beer.

"Man two college girls who make any man weak," said Roger walking over to Dennis.

"Yeah," said Dennis forcing a smile and moving his head up and down," why don't you lose a couple of thousand pounds?"

"Wow," said Rodger, in a sarcastic tone ," real original. Man so what are these girls like. How big are there-."

"You're not dating them," said Dennis ," try dating someone your own age, not some seventy-year old named Esther."

"Okay," said Rodger, "it was one time, and she was quick. What, trying to hog these hot pieces for yourself?"

"Well," said Dennis, blushing as he remembered events from yesterday...
-

"Mr. Sadnik," asked a voice just outside of his office.

"Yeah, Lyra, what is it?"

"Bon-Bon wanted me to take off my old outfit -",

"Bon-Bon," asked Dennis, "is that some kind of nickname?"

"S-Sure, anyways she wanted me to take off my old outfit and try on something different. I went out a bought all these clothes in Saratoga Springs, but when I got back and asked her to compare these clothes, she was gone. She left a note saying she had to do some...research. I've got no one to compare outfits. Can you help me?"

"Lyra, I'm a man, I don't do this kind of stuff," said Dennis, looking down while still writing on his paper.

"Back home, there are a lot of male designers," said Lyra," like I know this one guy Hoity Toity."

"Hoity Toity," asked Dennis ," never heard of such a label."

"He's not a label," said Lyra ," he's a designer."

"Who in the right mind names there child "Hoity Toity," asked Dennis ," that's just asking for pounding."

"Can you just check the dresses, please," asked Lyra in a whining tone.

"Fine," said Dennis, still looking down," just come in."

"Get ready to be amazed," exclaimed LyraThe door opened, and footsteps were heard.

"Okay," said Dennis staring at his paperwork,"that's cool, swell."

"Your not looking," whined Lyra.

"Fine," said Dennis turning his head up , "what do you got to show-," Dennis looked shocked. His hand felt limp and he released his pen from his grasp. He saw Lyra was holding the clothes but wearing nothing,"

"So what do you think of this," asked Lyra, flashing a red tanktop in front of her, "hey your still looking away!"

"Lyra," asked Dennis looking away and nervous," why are you in your birthday suit?"

"I'm not in my birthday suit," said Lyra, stretching out her arms, "I'm not wearing anything."

"I know," said Dennis, sounding strained ,"I just want to know why?"

"Bon-nie told me to take off my old outfit."

"I don't think she meant before you put on anything," said Dennis.

"What's the big deal, they are just clothes," asked Lyra perplexed at this guys act.

"Yes but in this society we normally wear clothes," said Dennis annoyed and looking away from Lyra.

"So she was right," said Lyra ,"important tip thank you."

"Your welcome."

"You wanna help me put these on," asked Lyra innocently.

"NO!" screamed Dennis, blushing

"Okay, sheesh," said Lyra, annoyed, "I'll just wait for her, who knew you could be so sensitive about nudity."

She walked out door, and when Dennis was sure he heard the door close, he turned his head forward.

"That was amazing", muttered Dennis sarcastically, continued began blushing.

-

"Hey look," said Rodger pointing a finger at Dennis,"he's reminiscing about his beloved." Everybody continued what they we're doing, as if accustomed to Rodger's boorish behavior. "Yeah," said Rodger who through one of the darts at the board only for them to swerve just toward the left of the red target. "D'oh! always swerving to the left."

"Yeah," said a guy in the bar,"just like woman do to you! Just when they reach you, they always just swerve to the left."

"Ha," said Rodger ," I can get any girl I want." He saw a girl with blond hair tied up in a bun, wearing black pants, and a blue buttoned down shirt with short sleeves. "Hey baby," Rodger said walking up.

"Uh, Rodger," said Dennis getting up out of his stool ," I don't think that..." until he felt a hand grab his shoulder. He looked behind him and saw Zack. Dennis looked into his eyes and saw him smile mischievously and decided not to waste anymore words. Dennis sat, and just picked up a glass of beer that Zack handed him.

"Hey baby, I've been places you've never been," said Rodger to the girl who was writing something on a notepad, "wanna go?" The girl ignored her. "Common, I'll show you my three best friends!" "You and me, we'll get it on."

"Actually," said the lady in a strong tone of voice, looking toward Rodger, holding up a notepad. "I think I just got you on three counts of sexual harassment." She then showed Rodger her badge. Rodger dropped his beer on the grown, and quickly waddled out the door.

"So that's Helmsey's new deputy," asked John, staring in awe.

"Yep, Ms. Stella Stirling," said Dennis, as the deputy approached them.

"Give me a beer," Deputy Stirling said.

"Man you really showed him," said Dennis.

"Nice try," said Deputy Stirling ," but I know your game."

"I'm not hitting on you," said Dennis ,"I'm just-,"

"Ha," said Stirling ,"I'm just kidding."

A bell was heard, and in came running Lyra screaming "Mr. Sadnik!"

Dennis turned around startled ,"What"

"There's a problem with Bonnie. The TV..."

"What," groaned Dennis annoyed ," did she break it?"

"No," said Lyra ,"It hypnotized her."

"What," said Dennis ,"what do you mean."

"Well we turned to one of those channels you pointed too," said Lyra.

"Uh-Uh," said Dennis turning his stool around.

"MTV. She saw one of those boys with no shirts on..."

"Uh huh," said Dennis putting his shoulder on the counter, and his chin on his hand.

"And, like she can't stop staring," said Lyra, distressed.

"Uh huh," said Dennis, before downing his beer. Being married for twenty years leaves a man prepared for anything a woman says.

"I don't think you should worry," said John barely suppressing a chuckle ,"I-I'm sure she'll break out of it soon. So you're Lyra. She mentioned you having bluish white hair. I guess you must have washed it out."

Dennis turned around and saw,"Oh I didn't notice that Lyra, I'm sorry I was too startled by your nonsense to notice. I wasn't forcing you to do it, I was just upset." He noticed Lyra's hair shining a bright brunette.

"Oh," said Lyra waving her arm down ,"it's okay, I just wanted to blend in."

"Well hello Lyra," said John extending his hand ,"I'm John Uhlenbeck, owner and operator of Upstate Inn. Thanks for helping this crook take away some of my business," head turning toward John.

"And thank you Lyra for helping me put this old geezer out on the street," Dennis said before toasting with John.

"I'm sorry," said Lyra crying ," I didn't mean to destroy your friendships."

Dennis and John just stared at this girl crying for a minute or so, waiting for the joke to end. John, decided to put his hand on Lyra's shoulder.

"Uh, there there," he said ," we were just joking."

"What are you drunk," said Dennis.

"No, I haven't had a drink all day," said Lyra ," I see this place has all types of drinks."

"Yeah, but I don't know if you should have any, it's not good," Dennis started before John put a hand on her shoulder.

"Your not her father," said John, "often when you run a hotel, you think of your guests as family, but you gotta remember that they have their own lives. You shouldn't always worry about them."

Dennis stopped and felt his eyes moisten at John's hotel management advice. Was he treating Bonnie and Lyra like his daughter? He awoke when he saw Lyra sit down in the stool between him and John.

"Uh," said Lyra looking at Dennis' glass," I'll have what he is having."

Zack, wordlessly poured a glass of yellowish liquid into Lyra's glass.

"This is weird looking app-," "Stop," Lyra let go of her glass, hearing that authoritarian voice stay her hand. She turned around and saw that same quiet woman in the blue shirt walk over toward her.

"Zack," said the woman ,"I hope you remembered to check this young lady's ID before giving her a beer. It could cost you your license.

Zack glancing down, held out her hand. Lyra turned around, and saw his stranger gesture. "No Zack," said Lyra ,"I don't wanna dan-,Oh you want that licence thing." She pulled it out and read ,"As you can see, I am 12." Zack turned it upside down. "No twenty one, oh this drink is a beer, I've never had one of these."

"Good," said Sterling as she sat on a stool, "it means you'll never beat me in a drinking contest."

"Oh really," said Lyra ," I could drink 20 milkshakes in one sitting, I can sure drink this beer stuff."

"Oh yeah," said Stirling ," then you wanna see if you can beat me in a drinking contest."

"YEAH?" "YEAH?"

"Uh Lyra, since you've never seen beer," said Dennis ," I think you should now-," but was stopped when Dennis dropped a giant tray in front of them. Dennis spoke up only to be hushed out by the sounds of everybody in the room cheering for the inevitable contest. Dennis continued only to be hushed by John's shoulder.

"Your go," said Sterling.

"Sure sheriff," said Lyra, as she downed her first beer. She felt it travel down her throat ,and hacked, "bleh, that doesn't take like apple juice at all."

"Give up?" said Sterling ,"and everyone hushed."

Lyra cleared her breath, and seeing all the attention she was getting, she decided to down the hole glass, ignoring the burning in her throat, glared at Sheriff Stirling, before reaching another drink, earning the cheers of everyone.

"Here we go," said Stirling.

Dennis sat in his stool, awaiting the time to take her home

1 hr later

Dennis fell asleep, snoring in his stool, not out of drunkenness, only to be awoken by the obnoxious laughter of everyone in the bar. He saw the Sheriff and his guest sitting in the center, surrounded by everyone.

"So tell us more about this Ponytown," asked one of the barflies.

Lyra, her body and head moving back and forth spewed, "well, I told you about all my pony f-friends, oh I forgot to mention pink-pink. She's p-ink," she laughed ," and she'll throw a party for everypony who walks into Pony...," she sat down laughing, followed by everybody laughing.

Stirling, who looked no better, just laughed, and flicked Lyra's hair ," I remember hanging out with a pony princess, she was very pi-," Stirling swung her head around, before crashing unto the ground.

Everyone cheered, before Dennis finally ran up to Lyra, and hung her arm on her shoulder.

"C'mon Lyra we're going home," said Dennis rushing her out."John, Zack, get Stirling off the floor, and call Helmsley."

Dennis rushed out carrying the drunken woman to his Chevelle.

John crouched down attempting to bring Stirling up by her arms. Zack and some other guys began to carry her by her legs. They began to carry her to the couch in the backroom when John noticed a moist feeling on his wrist.

"I think I feel some blood, I think Stirling broke her fingers," said John letting her down and examining his palm and her hand.

"This isn't blood," said one of the barflies.

John looked at his palm which was covered in black-brown dye, and then looked toward Stirling's hand, which was also covered in the same dye.

"Where did that come from," asked John.

-

"Left foot, right foot, left foot, right foot," Dennis heard her sing as she carried her into the farmhouse.

"Lyra will you STOP," he said frustrated ," carrying you is hard enough."

"But I'm not done telling you how I learned to walk on two legs," she chuckled ," Bon Bon was falling over constantly, and one day she fell on top of Mr.-"

She came through the door and fell into the couch, as Dennis released her.

He saw Bonnie, sitting on the chair, who's hair was suddenly blond, who suddenly sprang up from the chair, and ran to her dizzy friend.

"Lyra, what happened," said Bonnie, who was shaking her friend's head. She looked up a Dennis, "what happened, was she poisoned."

"She had a few drinks," said Dennis.

"Was it one of those drinks called "alcohol"", asked Lyra scared.

"Yeah, she was in a contest," but then saw Bonnie crying.

"No," said Bonnie ,"that policeman told us alcohol was bad, now she'll die," she cried, tears dripping down her cheeks.

"OH MY GOD," said Dennis, putting his hands on his head and pulling on the remnants of his hair ," you are such a-drama queen! Lyra's gonna be find, she's just drunk, she'll get just wake up with a hangover."

"She'll hang over what," asked Bonnie, the tears stopping, but the eyes staying moist.

"Unbelievable," muttered Dennis, as he performed the face palm of idiocy ,"she's just gonna feel dizzy tomorrow okay."

"Good," said Bonnie, sniffling," wait they have contests for drinking? Did she win?" asked Bonnie, feeling a little hopeful.

"Well, uh, yeah," said Dennis, unable to repress the smile forming on his face. "I didn't see, I fell asleep for an hour waiting for Lyra to pass out , but I woke up," he continued to laugh ,"and a saw Lyra and Deputy Stirling laughing. Apparently, she was going on about ponytown, some place filled with talking ponies," he continued to snicker.

"What," asked Lyra, who had gone from amused to frustrated.

"Oh man," said Dennis ," she was a riot apparently."

"What?"

"Man when you're drunk, you say some of the craziest things," said Dennis ,"no one would hear about a pony world more than five seconds before cracking up."

Lyra stopped fuming and muttered ,"Oh yeah, crazy story. I think I'll talk to Lyra about them tomorrow," she said smiling with clenched teeth.

"C'mon," said Dennis ," I think she might want to go to the bathroom, since those chunks'll fly any second."

"Yeah," said Bonnie annoyed, sure.
-

"I can't believe she would go on about that," said Bonnie, sitting in the couch the TV flashing.

"Yeah," said Dennis, "I never thought she would have fond memories of such a dumb show."

"What show," asked Bonnie.

"What ," said Dennis ," you never watched "My Little Pony? My girls watched that show all the time, I guess you were never that type of girl."

"What channel is it on," asked Bonnie.

Dennis was confused ," Uh, I don't know, uh check the TV Guide?"

Bonnie had found it, and pushed the buttons to watch this show about ponies.

"My Little Pony, My Little Pony...." the TV blared.

"Yeesh," muttered Bonnie, and switched back to the old channel.

"I've never seen something so ludicrous, and horrifying in my life,"

"It's time for Animaniacs, and we're zany to the max.." the other channel blared.

"What do you expect," said Dennis ,"it's a girls cartoon."

"But the way they portrayed ponies," said Bonnie dismayed, "it's just so...BLEAAAAGH."

"Cartoons are supposed to be dumb," said Dennis ,"what do you expect."

"Cartoons shouldn't show this," said Bonnie , pointing to the screen ," they can and should be smart and entertaining, unlike that horror story you showed us."

"Oh man, will you get over it," said Dennis groaning, "the horse died big deal. And the Godfather is infinite times smarter than any cartoon. You just watch a funny cartoon to feel safe after watching such a "scary story." I mean when has a cartoon ever taught anything remotely educational."

"And now the nations of the world," announced the TV, just as strange black and white creature appeared on screen. He had long black ears, covered with a black motor board, holding a pointer, behind him a colorful map of the world, " by Yakko Warner." Soon music was being heard.

"United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru," said the strange character.

"Okay," said Dennis begrudgingly, "maybe a few things. But little girls don't-," he was stopped by the sound of someone blowing chunks in his bathroom.

Bonnie ran upstairs.

"Huh," sighed Dennis ,"I'll get the mop."
-

July 04

Morning

"What were you thinking," said Bonnie, chastising the girl sitting up in the bed with an ice pack on her head.'

"Not so load," groaned Lyra.

"You're lucky those men thought you we're joking, we don't need you talking about this right now."

"I'm sorry," said Lyra, still clutching the bag, "just turn down the volume."

"Not to mention you nearly killed yourself," said Bonnie shaken ,"look I know we both care about this mission, but truth care about you, I would hate if anything happened to you, and when I saw you all dizzy, I thought," Bonnie said, tears falling.

"Bon-Bon..."Lyra said, sincerely and understanding.

"I'm your friend, now listen when I tell you don't go out drinking again," she said. She was caught up in the apologetic hug.

"Okay, said Lyra, "I promise. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you worried."

They both hugged for what felt like an eternity.

"C'mon," said Bonnie grabbing her hand, "let's go eat some breakfast. Mr. Sadnik said he was gonna make us that fruit salad recipe we showed him.

"MMmmm," said Lyra ," I hope he remembers the..."
-
"Daisies," said Dennis looking at salad,"I've never seen a fruit salad with daisies."

He thought back to the time he first made breakfast for the Bonra gang. Those two said they we're hungry so he made them turkey bacon. Real quick. He gave them their plates, and they tried it. They said they liked it, but then he told them what was in it.
"That plate fell into a thousand pieces," thought Dennis. Let's just say he relearned how to cook food vegetarian. His daughters had always been picky eaters just like his...guests. Which is why he learned to cook. But he would never make the salad, until he accidentally let Lyra get drunk he felt responsible taking care of her little...guest.

He heard footsteps, and decided to say.

"Breakfast is on."
-
On the girls side. A salad made with lettuce, spinach, hard boiled egg, carrots, tomatoes, daisies, corn, covered in olive oil. On Dennis' side, was an omelette, turkey bacon, and all beef sausage.

"You know," said Lyra ,"not only is it wrong to eat animals, it's also unhealthy."

"You know what's unhealthy," said Dennis smugly and with a grin, " your drinking."

Lyra flinched.

"So what do you girls have planned for today," asked Dennis.

"Well, we thought we would do some more experiments," said Bonnie, who was digging through her salad, looking for the tasty part.

"Oh, so I guess you've got nothing planned for Independence Day," said Dennis.

"Today is Independence Day," said Lyra ," I read about something like it in your books. Some kind of festival."

"Man you don't get out at all," said Dennis. "Today is the day America gained independence from England. We celebrate with fireworks, hotdo-", he saw Lyra gag a little ,"and fun. I suggest you avoid your experiments for tonight, since the skies will be too filled with fireworks to make it easy to see."

"He's right Bonnie," said Lyra ,"we probably won't be able to see. We might as well have fun and enjoy this neat holiday."

"Huh," said Bonnie, dropping her fork, "your right, we might as well enjoy ourselves. But where can we go."

"Well, " said Dennis, " a lot of people go up to Lake George to barbecue and see fireworks. I'm going up there with my friends, but I can bring the two of you if you want."

"Sure, that sounds fun," said Lyra.

"Yes" said Bonnie," found the best part." She pulled up a daisy with a fork, and put it in her mouth, enjoying like some delicious cake.

"Well," said Dennis a little shocked," at least she can hold a fork," and continued eating his beef sausage.
-

"What the hell is this traffic," said Dennis, sitting in John's Jeep.

"I don't know," said John, " I hear they are checking for drugs."

"I heard those things kill," said a hyperactive college girl in a mint green tank top and jungle green shorts.

"Yes," said John ," that's the newest thing you said that can kill people. Please be quiet."

"My name is-," Lyra began to sing, but was stopped by a glare from a girl in a greenish-grey t-shirt and jeans shorts.

" I think I know what's keeping up the line," said John, as he saw some bald guy in a suit, carrying a megaphone, standing next to a police officer.

"Everybody," said the guy in the megaphone, who even when amplified, still sounded mousey ," Because of that incident with the Rickson twins, the state government decided to suspend the use of fireworks for this year. The groans we're heard all around us.

"Just because a couple of idiots blew some old lady's fingers off does not make the rest of us guilty," muttered Dennis.

"Anyways, we have set up bins for you to safely deposit your fireworks," continued the megaphone guy.

"Who cares," screamed a loud guy from his car. Everybody in the traffic jam hollered in agreement.

"Failure to abide by the ban will result in a 2000 dollar fine," said Mr. Megaphone.

Suddenly the cheers were replied with reluctant sighs.
-
The once empty park had become city of tents, barbecues, concession stands, and baseball games. The joy was enormous, the thrills great, and cheers. Two college girls we're truly impressed.

"Man," said Lyra ," this festival really is spectacular. I can only dream of holidays back home like this."

"Wow," said Dennis, who was carrying a barbecue grill with John," you're town must not be patriotic."

"Uh well," Lyra looked at Bonnie , who shook her head ,"no we are not."

"Well don't worry," said John, "we've got plenty of patriotism here. Even without fireworks, we still got frisbees, games, and burgers and hot dogs, and veggie burgers for you two."

John, Dennis, and the girls continued to set up their stand, when they saw three guys approaching. One of them was a fat guy wearing Bermuda shorts, sandals, a hat, and a Hawaiian shirt. The thin guy was wearing a green T-Shirt that said Cuomo 92, jeans, and who had a bald head. And then there was Rodger.

"Hey you son's of gun," said the fat guy.

"Hey Carl," said Dennis happily to the fat guy, "Hey Larry, he said to the thin guy," "Rodger," he said simply.

"I brought the stuff, but I can't hang with you guys," said Rodger flexing his arms ," I gotta show girls this love machine."

"Good luck," said John neutrally, not even looking up as he set up the table.

"You think I can't find a date," said Rodger. The six continued to work on setting everything up, ignoring the howling fat man in the distance. "I'll turn on the charm and show you!" He stormed away.

"Shouldn't we go after him," asked Lyra.

"Don't worry," said Larry, "in about five minutes, he'll return with slap mark on his face, and a beer."

"So Larry," asked Lyra, "what business are you and Carl in"

"We sell electronics and electronics accessories," the two said, and chuckled.

The two girls continued to stare.

"You know," said Carl, "King of the-,"

"We design, build, and space equipment."

"Wow really," asked Lyra ,"I bet it must be cool being in space."

"Yeah," said Carl, "but the tickets are a little steep, say one billion dollars to go on the moon."

"Yeah," said Larry ,"but we're saving up," and the duo laughed.

"That's terrible," said Lyra ," being forced to pay so much to go someplace so awful."

"What," screamed Carlarry. "When Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon in 1969, it was a honor to America to leave the boundaries of our atmosphere."

"You mean this country considers it such a great honor to waste a ton of money to put some guy on cold, barren rock," asked Lyra.

Carl and Larry stood silent for a minute, wondering how to respond, rubbing their heads with spatulas, before going back to their grill.

Lyra stared blankly at the duo, "I think I'll go play some games," she said before walking away.

"So," said Bonnie attempting to make conversation ,"how do you guys know Mr. Sadnik."

"Are you kidding," asked Larry. "How do we not no him," said Carl.

"On campus at Stony Brook was Dennis the Menace," said Larry. "We were the first ones to call him that," he said.

Then they both looked at each other and then at Dennis, who suddenly dropped his plate of burgers, noticing an evil look in their eyes.

"No," said Dennis holding up an arm ,"we're too old for that. No, no,no."

"Your right," said Larry, "we are too old for this."

Dennis sighed.

"But she isn't," said Carl, looking at Bonnie, and than at Dennis, before sprinting at him.

Dennis attempted a valiant escape effort but could not escape the clutches of the two.

"Yeah" said Carl, as he noogied Dennis' balding head, prompting "oohs," from him," this guy could never outrun us."

"But he had one hell of an arm," said Larry who was sitting on Dennis' legs.

"My heads bare," said Dennis, still wincing.

"That's what your grandma said," said Carlarry before high-fiving

Bonnie couldn't help but laugh at the sight of three grown men acting like bullies.

But she decided to go check up on Lyra
-

Rodger was standing next to a girl with blond hair, a white T-shirt, and a red skirt at the Milk Bottles game. She continued to apply lipstick while he spoke.

"Three Balls, please," said Rodger. Some guy in a red shirt with a frown handed him the balls. "When I knock down these bottles the prize is yours baby." The woman continued to ignore him. He launched the ball, but just as he aimed for the first bottle on the left he knocked down... the prize shelf. Stuffed bears, sharks, bunnies, etc. came tumbling down, which ended with the squeak of some doll called Smartypants. Everyone stared and the turmoil.

"D'oh," said Rodger, "always aiming to the-I mean I guess I don't know my own strength, " he sputtered to the woman. "After years of lifting giant sacks of dog food, I can show you my true strength. Just let me touch your-,"

Lyra walked over to the milk bottle stand, and saw Rodger talking to the girl. Lyra leaned in. "Maybe Rodger really found true-," SLAP. Lyra saw the woman storm away, and Rodger held a cold beer up to his face, who walked away totally embarrassed. She looked at her watch.

"Five minutes," she said.

She walked over to the stand.

"6 dollars for three balls," said the guy at the stand.

"Okay," she said. She was presented with three balls. She bent down, and lifted reared her legs up.

"Hey," said the guy at the counter, "what are you doing?"

"Trying to launch the ball," she said innocently.

"Not with your feet," he said.

"But back home I'm allowed to do it," she said.

"Well go back home and play, and get out of here," he said bored.

"Okay," she said sad.

"Hey baby," she heard from far away.

"Huh," she said turning around.

She saw three guys. One tall and thin, one fat and short, the other short and thin. They both we're wearing black sweatpants, dark shoes, and dark hoodies, they seemed to approach her, with eyes of a shark approaching a school of tuna.

"Oh man," said the tall guy, "is it hot in here, or is it just me."

"Well you are wearing lots of clothes, so of course it would be hot," said Lyra.

The three guys laughed, "cute and funny," said the fat guy.

"I've got to go," said Lyra. "Excuse me." She tried to walk away but found herself surrounded by the three guys.

"Where are you-," "What's going on," asked a concerned voice. Lyra was happy to see an annoyed Bonnie walking up.

"Come on Lyra, John serving those veggie burgers, goodbye sirs," she said before being blocked by fat guy.

"Oh my god, funny cute, and attitude cute, lots of girls are out of here," said the skinny guy. "Name's Ray."

"I'm Da Large," said the fat guy. "I'm Bigger" said the short guy.

"Yes we are," said Bonnie, "come on, Lyra."

"Oh girl playing hard to get," said Da Large.
-

As burgers sizzled, the pair made up of Carl and Larry released Dennis from their monstrous torture, chuckling all the way.

"Was that really necessary," asked Dennis while rubbing his bare scalp.

"It's the least we could do," said Carl.

"After all," said Larry his voice becoming softer , "if you hadn't taken the blame for the girl's locker room thing, we would have been thrown out of Stony Brook."

"You guys already made up for that," said Dennis his ,"when that tramp Sylvia went all over me, you proved that using yoru cameras, and saved my relationship with Lindsay.

"Hey," said Larry resting his hand on Dennis' shoulder, his voice almost completely soft ,"it's the least we could do."

The men stood silent for a few seconds.

"Man it's amazing how you got those cameras in my bedroom set up so quickly," said ,Dennis.

"Yeah, well," said Larry rubbing that back of his neck.

"It was a great Labor day," said Carl.

"Wait a minute," said Dennis, his eyes narrowing ,"you two had a camera set up on the day Sylvia came on to me?"

"Well uh," said Larry, trying to formulate a response.

"What we're you doing," asked Dennis, slightly annoyed.

"We were-" Carl continued before he saw stare away from him, and toward the carnival game. Dennis noticed a scene. His two gi-guests were grappling with some punks

Dennis saw the scene and decided to intervene.

"Dennis," said John ," these girls are not your daughters, what they do is their business."

"Yeah, well I've got business of my own to deal with," said Dennis, quietly, as he walked toward the game area.

"Dennis," said John sadly, "I just wish that guy would move on already."

"Don't worry," said Carl, "He may be protective , but he's not rash."

"Yeah," said Larry sitting in a chair ,"I'm sure he'll have fun tonight."

"I hope so," said John as he continued to grill.
-

The tussle between the girls and the three punks continued, until a voice asked them

"Do you boys have a problem?" Da Large, Bigger, and Ray turned and saw some fat guy with a partially bald head and dark mustache.

"What do YOU mean by BOY, old man," said Ray.

"Mr. Sadnik," said Bonnie ,"it's okay, we can handle-," "I know I just wanted to talk."

"Well, OLD man, let me tell YOU something," said Bigger," Get out before I break my foot of in your-,"

"Hey, kid, watch your language in front of girls. You think your tough. How about I make you a bet?"

"Talk," said Ray.

"If I knock down these three milk bottles, you gotta leave these girls alone," said Dennis smiling. "But I can't knock em down, I'll walk away, and you can take these girls out."

"Okay, old man," said Ray, "you got yourself a deal.

"Mr. Sadnik," said Bonnie ," what are you-?"

"Trust me," said Dennis, as he walked over to the milk bottle stand. "Three balls please," he asked calmly. A crowd gathered over this scene, and was now witnessing a man throw balls to defend his honor. The place was silent. He lifted up his leg, and threw his write arm at first bottle, knocking it down. The crowd was stunned, but stayed silent as Dennis prepared his next target. He threw the next ball BAM knocking it down. The clerk at the stand dropped his newspaper, waiting to throw the final pitch. One could here a pin drop. He heaved his arm, and down went the final ball, and up went the cheers.

Dennis raised his fists in victory, smiling. The three punks jaws dropped, and everybody was giving Dennis a congrats.

"Man," said the clerk, smiling, "your the first guy to succeed knocking it down." He noticed the two girls in awe of their friend, and decided ," For that you get two prizes."

"Thank you," said Dennis as the clerk handed him the over sized stuffed duck, and the over-sized stuff penguin ,"One for my two girl-," he paused and saw Lyra and Bonnie staring at him ,"I mean my two guests," he finished smiling. The two girls walked away with their gifts, smiling.

As he walked away with the girls, the three punks walked up to him. He turned around and said, " I thought you would leave those girls alone, " he said annoyed.

"No," said Ray holding up his hands."We just want to know where y'all learn to throw like that?"

"I played for the Seawolves at Stony Brook," he said. " I got a powerful throw."

"Can you teach us," asked Bigger.

"Where are you guys from," asked Dennis

"We are brothers from Albany, but we're staying with our aunt for the summer in Saratoga," said Da Large, "can you teach us?," he asked in a voice as sweet as some fat guy could utter.

"Let me give you my card," said Dennis, "but first I want your real names."

"My name is Raymond, this is Deacon, and that's Bill, and we are the Johnson brothers."

"All right, call me when you can make an appointment," he said ," but you have to refer to me as Mr. Sadnik, not old man got it?"

"Yes, old m-, I mean yes Mr. Sadnik," utter Da Lar-Deacon."
-
"So he beat those guys at milk bottle throwing," asked John.

"Yeah," said Lyra, ,"and he even gave us the two prizes."

"I see," said John, smiling, as he never thought he could ever be proud of a friend for winning two giant stuffed animals.

" I guess Dennis is finally loosening up," said Larry, "for the first time since-" RING "oh, gotta take this." He pulled out a flip phone and answered, "Yello?"

"Wow," said Lyra, "so you guys do have two way communicators in your pockets. This place is cooler than I imagined," she jumped from joy.

"Yeah," said John sarcastically,"it's a real wonder to find on Lake George a cell phone."

He saw Larry on the phone, he seemed interested in the device.

"What," he said, a little anxious.

"It was stolen,"

"WHAT! Alright we will be there."

"Carl, pack up, we gotta go," he said, putting his stuff away.

"What's going on," asked Carl "we just got ,"- he paused as Larry whispered something in his ear. Carl understood. He helped Larry pack up.

"Guys," asked John," what's going on."

"Some equipment got stolen out of our warehouse in North Towanada," said Carl, "we gotta go."

"Alright," said John ,"let's get the girls, and I'll get Dennis and we will help you pack. Lyra, get over..Hey where did they go."
-

In a distance beach, far from human contact, two girls walked along. Lyra and Bonnie looked out and saw the festive campgrounds.

"I don't know about this," said Lyra ," there are tons of people here."

"But no fireworks," said Bonnie, "and no one here directly, so no witnesses."

"But," said Lyra.

"We gotta test it," said Bonnie.

"Okay," said Lyra, "three,two, one..."
-

At the party on the police force were two volunteers. One of them was tall thin man, with a tan leathery face, and a perpetual frown. He wore a cap that indicated his office in law enforcement, that hid his brown, crew cut hair. He wore a blue short sleeve shirt which revealed tanned hairy arms. His narrow eyes indicated a perpetual search for crime. Underage drinking, pot smoking, he would smoke it out. Next to him Deputy Stirling, who looked dazed, tired, and cranky.

"Oh," groaned Stirling as she stood up," can I go home now I'm so tired."

"No," said the officer in a quiet, but firm voice," we volunteered to protect Lake George from the excesses of Fourth of July."

"Helmsley," said Stirling ,"you volunteered me. We've been over this."

"Well," said Helmsley, his face remaining stoic or looking at Stirling, "it was either stay here with the hangover, and no plans, or be suspended for three months for drinking on the job."

"Uh," said Stirling clutching her head ," so much noise."

"You know you were lucky that girl was 21," said Helmsley ,"Imagine drinking with an underaged girl. Sadnik told me she was some kind of astronomy major."

"Ah," said Stirling ," so hungover."

"I guarantee you," said Helmsley," it'd be a lot worse if there were fireworks, but since there aren't.." he was betrayed by a sudden BAM. He looked around and saw in the air, not fireworks but something entirely.

Stirling collapse onto the the ground, clutching her head and whining.

-

"See you guys around," said Dennis as he walked away from the Johnson brothers. "Nice boys," but his thought was broken by the giant aurora in the sky around him. The colors seemed to consist of some light mint green, some fuchsia, but nothing more. The light was grand, so beautiful, yet so alarming. Everyone cheered at the sight, which was described as being grander than even fireworks. But something about the light didn't sit right with Dennis.

The whole night seemed to fade away at the light.

-

All rights reserved to Hasbro and Warner Bros.

Author's Note:

I was originally going to write about Lyra's period, but I feared it wouldn't be as funny as a drunk Lyra.

I figure most bronies are old enough to remember gems from the 1990s such as Animaniacs, so I put it in there.