• Published 18th Aug 2013
  • 5,834 Views, 47 Comments

An Apple A Day - Craine



Applejack had made, and learned from, many mistakes. Unfortunately, one of them just won't leave her alone. --AppleCord--

  • ...
6
 47
 5,834

An Apple a Day

Applejack would like to think she learned from her mistakes.

She'd like to think asking for help came naturally to her now, unlike before. She'd like to think that waking up that morning to a whole field of apple-less trees would make her smile for the first time in that whole week.

But it didn't.

Yes, it was Applebuck Season. Yes, it was the largest Applebuck season to date. Yes, Applejack had spent most of her free time tending the farm. Away from her friends. So why didn't Applejack Apple smile at the many, many apple carts, filled to the brim and scattered around the farm?

"Discord..."

Just as she knew it would, a bright flash erupted behind her. And, along with it, came a voice equally anticipated. "Oh, you noticed! And there was me thinking you forgot I existed!" Discord said.

Applejack shut her eyes firmly, biting her inner-cheek. "I thought we talked about this..." It was hard. By the very stubbornness that hardened her bones, it was hard keep an even voice. "I didn't need your help. Didn't want it neither."

Applejack's brows crunched together as a fuzzy paw draped over her back. "Applejack, I'm crushed! You think I'd flagrantly ignore your requests? Perish the thought!" Discord said. Then he grinned. "Never said I couldn't do it all for you, though!"

Applejack viciously shrugged away from her misfit compatriot and marched forward, no particular goal in mind. "Consarn it, ya little...! The Apples work for a livin', Discord! What are we supposed to do if y'all keep buttin' in what don't concern ya?!"

When Discord hovered above her, shadowing her every step, Applejack frowned harder, all but twitching at the thought of bucking him in the face.

“Well, you could always whore yourselves out in Canterlot," Discord casually suggested. "Bet that'll get the blood flowing."

Applejack gnashed her teeth. Discord grinned.

“Oh, don’t worry,” Discord said, weightlessly landing in front of the farmer. “Apple Bloom could hold the signs”

It wasn’t Discord’s jive, his casual uncaring tone, or even that he was munching on an apple he’d literally pulled off her cutie-mark, that launched a swift buck at the sprits face. The tail gently whipping her nose? That did it.

When Applejack realized she’d hit nothing but air, her fur stood on end. She whirled around and glared at a cackling Discord, spiraling in the air without a care in the world.

“Varmint! Unlawful, highfalutin son of a—

“Come now, Applejack!” Discord chimed, undeterred. “You’re friends have missed your company!” He swiftly took the shouting farmer into his grasp. “And so have I!”

Somehow, even passed her curses, her blatant strikes on Discord’s face, and how outrageous he looked in her hat, Applejack felt her cheeks burn. She demanded that he release her, and he complied. Discord smiled down at the panting Applejack; a cool smile, a fond smile.

“We’ve missed you, Applejack.”

In that moment, every ounce of aggression seeped from Applejack like water from a cracked bucket. Soon enough, she realized she was staring, and whipped her head away, if only to hide her confounded blush.

“Yeah? W-well... maybe I don’t feel like goin’ nowhere today.” It was a lie. Applejack knew that. And if memory served, Discord could always tell.

“Oh, you!” Discord said poking, sliding, and shifting around the farmer to meet her gaze every time she looked away. “All of our pony-friends are at Town’s Square right now!”

Finally, whether she realized it or not, Applejack’s frown vanished. “Wait. Everypony? Even Twilight? And Rainbow Dash?”

She finally made an effort to meet Discord’s eyes... and was instead met with a tiny draconequus poking out from inside her ear. “Yes indeedy!”

With a surprisingly girlish squeal, Applejack flicked the little menace from her ear. The moment her hooves met the ground, a strong sense of vertigo wobbled her legs. A maroon serpentine body pressed up against her chest and belly, and her hooves left the ground.

“Just think of it, dear,” Discord began, folding his arms behind his head. “Between Twilight’s royal duties, and Wonderbolt shore leave, this opportunity is a dime a dozen! You simply must come!”

Applejack lifted herself to stand on the wily draconequus, pointing an accusing hoof at him. “And where do y’all get off tellin’ me what to do?!” she demanded.

Discord sprang his belly up, and flipped Applejack onto his long grey neck, her hind legs straddling him. “Okay, first, telling you where I ‘get off’ is a detriment to my privacy. Second, think of this as a... gentle persuasion.”

His last word took a much deeper tone, a gentle, yet commanding voice rumbled his throat... and the mare straddling him. Before she could stop herself, Applejack shuddered quietly, her eyes rolling ever so slightly.

Applejack looked down at a smirking Discord, and her face went even redder. “Call it what ya want, Discord.” She grudgingly tore herself from her visitor and jumped to the ground, walking back to the farmhouse. “Now, if ya don’t mind, I got work to do.”

Yes. Showing him whose boss. That’s what it was all about. Applejack wouldn’t let some fool-headed draconequus persuade her. No chance in a frozen Hell. He could pry, poke fun, and smooth-talk until he was blue in the face. But Applejack would have none of it. Not a single kilogram of that foolishne--

“Eh. Suit yourself.”

Applejack sputtered, and stopped dead in her tracks. “Suit yourself? Suit your–?!

When Applejack whirled around to give Discord the flank-chew of the new generation, he was already strutting away.

“Oh, you’ll come around, my dearest Applejack.” As he marched, proud and confident, he looked over his shoulder. “Don’t you always?”

Applejack didn’t respond. She just stood there. Glowering. Clinching her teeth so hard, she feared they’d be worn down. Her eyes were hopelessly transfixed on Discord, his swanky steps fading into the sunrise.

It was sad—downright pathetic, really—how every time Discord left the farm, left her, her heart would always pull taut against her chest. As though trying to close the distance between them.

Applejack glared at the shadow pulling away from her. And like a filly who didn’t know any better, she pressed her hoof down upon it, somehow believing it would stop Discord.

Then she scraped back, somehow believing it would bring him closer.

Get your ass back here…” she muttered.

To gallop forward and tackle Discord off his feet, was an urge Applejack was shamefully familiar with. As such, she knew how to resist it. By hitting things. Hard. Every time Discord left the farm, applebucking became a fundamental necessity of the universe.

More so than usual, anyway.

With a throaty ‘hmph!’ and a lifted chin, Applejack turned back toward her barn. She arrived at the doorstep, and glared at her older brother, Big Macintosh.

“The heck are y’all smilin’ about?” Applejack questioned with a squinty eye. “Were you watchin’ us?”

Big Mac smiled on. “Eeyup.”

Applejack frowned. “Well, that’s enough of that, Mister!” she admonished. “If ya can’t tell, there’s still plenty of work to do!”

Big Mac cast his stoic gaze across the fields of empty apple trees. “... Um...”

“Don’t even THINK about it, Mac!” Applejack shouted. “Just cuz we don’t have trees to buck, don’t mean you can go behind the barn with that silly doll of yours!”

Big Mac chewed the straw hanging from his lips. “Don’t see what that’s gotta do with nothin’,” he defended. “Ain’t your first time pulled away from work either... If ya catch what I’m sayin’”

By now, Applejack had turned so red, her blood pressure was duly questionable “H-how’d ya know about that?!”

“I plead the fifth...”

Applejack frowned harder. “Ya plead what now?”

“Nnope.”

It was hopeless. Always, always hopeless to get more than a few words from her older brother. Even when her dignity was at stake. Usually--as with every other pet-peeve--it was solved by hitting things. Hard.

Applejack glanced at the empty fields again, and sighed long and heavy. “I see what he’s doin’, ya know...” she muttered, ignoring the glance from her brother. “Tryin’ to kill the workload, so he can... do whatever he does--

“Like gettin’ behind your tail?”

“MAC!” Applejack shoved a hoof in her brother’s muscled side. “I’m your little sister, for Pete’s sake! Y’all should be defendin’ me!”

A quiet laughter rumbled in the large work-horse’s chest. It didn’t come out though. That would be silly. “AJ, you ain’t been the same since your two friends shipped off,” Big Mac said. “Much as I used to complain, that feller’s been the best thing that’s happened to ya since... well, since Twilight first came.”

Applejack thought--no, she was quite certain--her fellow farmer was asking for a buck in the head. She couldn’t even speak, wary of what sewage may’ve spewed.

“Who replaced all our worn tools with polished and oiled ones?” Big Mac asked.

Applejack whipped her head away. “Oh, we didn’t need any of that! We were doin’ just fine without ‘em!” she insisted.

“Who tutored Apple Bloom in her schoolin’?”

“S-so what if Bloom was fallin’ behind! We could’a found time to help!” Applejack faltered. And she knew her brother had caught it.

“Who saved Granny from that fallen tree?”

“He was… just showin’ off.”

Finally, Big Mac’s smile dropped, and he swept a foreleg across Sweet Apple Acres. “And who just cut Applebuck Season in half so y’all could see the ponies what love ya like family?”

Eye contact was now impossible. Applejack tried to look at her brother, and failed every time. “I… I

Big Mac didn’t say another word. Yet he stared at his sister, patiently waiting for her answer. He didn’t expect Applejack to collapse on her belly with a defeated sigh.

“Why me, Mac?” Neither Applejack nor Big Mac could remember a time she sounded so weak, so vulnerable. “Me… of all ponies? He could'a picked anypony. Heck, I thought he was sweet on Fluttershy for the longest.” She lay her chin on her crossed fore hooves. “Why me?”

There was silence, a numbing silence. As Applejack sighed again, a large red hoof fell on her back. “Why don’t ya ask him?” Mac suggested.

Right there, every weak bone in her body—the bones that ponies were forbidden to know about—cried out, pleading for help, begging to know the right words when she did ask Discord.

In a crushing moment of weakness, Applejack almost gave in and asked her brother how she could truly face what had happened between her and the ancient spirit.

Almost.

“Hm?” Big Mac chewed on his straw again, watching Applejack rise and saunter away. “And just where are you wonderin’ off to,” he asked.

Applejack stopped, unsure whether or not to show Big Mac her frown. He already knew where she was going. And why.

“To get my hat back,” Applejack lied in voice all too low. Understandable though; it was a subtle way to hide the smile from her voice. “I’ll… be back in an hour.”

“Or six?”

The façade was crushed, and Applejack whipped her frowning blush to a grinning Big Mac. But like a clump of ash, her frown crumbled, and with that, came a smile. Finally. After seven days of knitted brows, pursed lips, and inaudible grunts, Applejack smiled.

“Twelve…” Applejack’s smile grew. “Make it twelve.”

Applejack turned back and marched with a spring in her step. A spring that she was certain, until that very moment, she’d never have again.

Author's Note:

APPLECORD!!!!!!

This was one of the most satisfying oneshots I've written to date! Took me a week, but it was worth it! After constant editing and revising, I hope this piece has some believability to it, as this QUITE the rare ship, indeed.

Huh. I realize this is maybe the fourth story out of the sixteen I've written with a 'feel good' ending... Ah well.

Critique is always welcome my friends!

Craine...

Comments ( 46 )

IT LIVES!

Now to add this to loads of groups and hope it gets to the feature box. :trollestia:

Also, AppleCord is new OTP

I'm think I now like AppleCord :derpyderp2:

:applejackconfused: <---- AJ's Face when she found out that Discord was in <3 with her

In a crushing moment of weakness, Applejack almost gave in and asked her brother how she could truly face what had happened between her and the ancient spirit.

At first, I took this to be a reference to some sort of tragedy that occurred with Discord and Applejack before the start of this story.

Also, I didn't realize Discord left with AJ's hat until she mentioned leaving to go reclaim it.
A rewording, though unnecessary (the story is quite good as is), might be in order.

I enjoyed this short story very much. Thank you for sharing.

OH MY GOD IT HAPPENED. WE HAVE AN APPLECORD FIC. PRAISE DISCORD.

I shall now actually read it. XD

Was so excited I posted a comment before actually reading but this will be the comment after doing so :ajsmug:

This was marvelously written. It actually had me re-read a sentence or two at times to realize the suggestive quality time Dissy was wanting to try out~ :pinkiehappy:

Oh gosh I just, so many heart skips and feels from this fic. This just needs to be a ship now like, seriously.

AppleCord forever -w-

PS: I'm a girl sweetheart~

3066874 Tsk, tsk, my pearple compatriot. You should know when one goes for quality, the Feature Box is but a dream. Thanks for the effort, but it is just not meant to be. :ajsleepy:

3066979 You SHOULD! WE ALL SHOULD! Applejack is best pony! Discord is best villain! Meeting adjourned!

3067034 My face when I realized how adorable they are together. i.qkme.me/36f043.jpg

3067396 Ah, dammit, I knew I forgot something. I actually considered adding a 'reminder sentence a bit before the end. Will fix ASAP.

3068110 I BETTER have written this well! It's the least I could do for you and your shout out to the ship that doesn't defiantly exist. Thank you so much for your praise and your--wait... Oh s**t. I'll, uh, hehehe... fix my long description now.

"Stupid sexy Discord. BAKA!":ajbemused:

*Grins* Very goofy cute fun. Felt bit rushed and unfinished but still enjoyable.:pinkiehappy:

I didn't know I wanted an AppleCord fic until I read it. Now, all I want is moar!

Didn't know what got think coming into this. But I'm glad i read it :twilightsmile:

3068290 In reference to your picture: Star Fox is down. What do you have to say now?
This, this is good. Can we expect Discord being shipped with any-one else or do you still plan on whoring Applejack out in Canterlot?
I laughed and d'awwed.

3068747 LOL! I know, right?!

3068862 I'm astounded this piece had that much of an impact. Yes... Yes, my powers are growing... As far as more AppleCord goes, it may be a while before I delve into it. But there are some writers of interest who may rise to the challenge as I did. Until next time!

3068990 Unfinished? Huh. Rushed, maybe, but... Was there something I missed?

3069598 AppleCord: Fimfiction's criminally underrated crack cocaine fic.

3069750 Glad you liked it! Yeah, I figured letting the readers know what they were in for was fair. Mixed results ensued.

3071125 Another Discord ship is unbelievably possible. I've got a list in my docs. And as for Applejack? There's not a chance in Hell those Canterlot bitches are having her all to themselves. EVERYONE needs some of that ol' country charm!

3073775 I didn't catch on that he was flirting with her til she started blushing and even then it came across as unrequited. The talk with Mac felt fast too, her going from flat denial to suddenly acting as though she'd always felt that way too.:twilightsmile:

So, I am sleep deprived, insomniac, sick, and struggling to adjust to a new work scheduel that has me on the ropes. In a pique of insomnia I decided to check out the three most randomly interesting things on the Popular Stories bar.

And I find this. And I read it.

And I love it.

The dialogue, the chemistry, the humor. I don't understand. This ship makes no sense. Nothing about this makes sense. And its amazing.

i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/548/974/418.gif

Bravura Sir. This goofy one-shot has been one of the cutest most satisfying fluff-ships I have read in a long time, and reminded me why I fell in love with the concept. You've earned my baffled delight and my curiosity. I shall probably read more of your stuff in the future.

3073870 Hmm... Noted. Although, I'm sure that's the kind of 'sucker punch' I was going for.

Different strokes for different folks? Maybe. I'll keep this comment stored for future yellow flags down the road. You have my thanks.

Craine...

3076456 Good God, I love when that happens; when that ONE FIC you read before bed not only deprives you of sleep in the best way, but restores an flame snuffed by terrible writing and the tropiest tropes that ever troped.

You, my friend, have found a kindred spirit in me.

Craine...

I'm just crying at seeing all of these comments.

I didn't make this story but it was because of me actually trying to even ask that everyone suddenly is giving this ship a chance. I just

I don't know how to feel.

Unsure of if want? Completely sure of good quality and wish to read more.

3081650 Then you should feel honored! :pinkiehappy:

After all, that thread of yours is the reason this exist, and along with it... APPLECORD SHIPPING!!!!!

3081931 You want. You very, very want (Obey)...

3082075 Aww, a metal song just for me. You shouldn't have xD

3073775

This was interesting. I've never even considered Discord x Applejack before, but this was cute.

And like most cute things, I wish for more.

Continue this. You must. You MUST. YOU MUST. :duck:

Such I nice one-shot, unfortunately, I fear if this is not continued I will go mad with not knowing. :flutterrage:

3215731 Mad without knowing?? And I'd be responsible?!

But seriously, you want a continuation, go to this lovely lady. She pulls a sequel off well enough, I think.

3317815 WRITING A RARIJACK FIC.

3318386 GOOD. WE NEED THAT SHIT.

I sincerely enjoyed this! I found it by reading the sequel being written by TheOneBehindYou and she led me here~

I don't... I can't... It... You...

How the bloody hell did you pull THIS off...?

~Skeeter The Lurker

3854188 Years of practice and mental instability, my friend. :ajsmug:

I just re-read this fic today. Gave me feels. I felt I needed to go back to the original to continue writing my own.

It's never going to be as perfect as this one. You just capture Applejack so excellently. :heart:

3939737

You just capture Applejack so excellently.

And you don't??? Come now, Sapphire, you sell yourself too short! Do you have any idea how much I wanna strangle you for the delayed updates of yours? DO YOU?!

3941229 I can't help it! I have so much to read as is! I keep getting overwhelmed with all these fics that I feel like I need to read em all before making more chapters for my AppleCord fic and just ugh!

:raritydespair:

I want to continue it, I do, but I keep writing other things instead and just blah :pinkiesad2:

Yeah, this is good. What a pairing, pulled off well. I too would like to know why Discord chose her. Would like to see more of this. Great work making this odd couple interesting! Greenthumbed!

3854188
Seconded.

Also, Pearple Prose brought me here.

I too also as well was brought here by the Prose. This was awesome! Really enjoyed how AJ responded to Discord, her stubbornness prevailing until the very end. It was cute as all getout. Also, thanks for the link to the sequel, I will be checking that out. This was a very pleasant read all the way around, keep em coming!

Please keep writing, I'll keep reading!

Man, I love this ship so much, it just has that feel, ya know?

I think that should be CoredApple. :ajsmug:

Brought here by Pearple Prose. Thanks so much for writing this! I, too, did not know I wanted it until I read it. :ajsmug:

AppleCord?

[youtube=6nSKkwzwdW4]

Hi there. I hope you don't mind, but I liked this fic so much, I have put together an audio version on YouTube.

Congrats, bro! :D Also a super thanks to Scribbler if she sees this, she does amazing work

5680858 5680859 You wanna know why it took a whole day to respond to this? First, I had to clear the notifs that have collected over the past several months. Second, when I actually did see this, I denied it until I laughed myself into a psychotic stupor. So I slept on it overnight and then realized the unbelievable; 'obabscribbler just audio recorded one of my fics.' And now that a few threads of my sanity have re-sewn themselves, I can thank you, Scribbler. Your wonderfully placed picture, music, sounds, and god-slaying voice have made my entire weekend.

*sighs* Think I'll go for a jog this morning.

Craine...

PS: You're right Pear. She DOES do amazing work.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

This story was hilarious, particularly Big Mac. :D

It’s interesting that in most stories I’ve encountered Mac either is scared of his sister or wins any verbal sparring match with her without question.

This is a very interesting shipping here but I do like how Discord trying to tell Applejack to come and hang with them even though she tries to tell him that she has a lot of work to do but deep down he did help her to reduce working hours so she can hang out with her friends and mostly him and way to go big mac for giving her encouragement well this was a pretty interesting and nice story keep up the good work

Login or register to comment