• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 361 Views, 2 Comments

The Spell Gone Wrong - Kokara



Strange and dangerous monsters from some other world are teleporting into Ponyville after Twilight attempts an unknown spell from a strange book. Now she must stop this invasion and close the portal before Equestria is destroyed.

  • ...
7
 2
 361

Unexpected Results

It was the dead of night in Ponyville and all was silent. The moon was full and illuminated the land, the stars glittered in the night sky, and the only sounds that could be heard was the chirping of crickets and the sporadic hoot of an owl emanating from the Everfree Forest. The only ponies who were awake were a few soldiers that were being stationed in Ponyville who were standing guard around the town. They had recently been sent out to investigate reports of Changeling activity near the town.

Just beyond the town’s edge, a lone figure stood upon a hill overlooking the tranquil town. He was a man, dressed in a dull gray business suit with a dark purple tie. His eyes had a turquoise hue to them and his hair was slicked back and dark as coal while the rest of his face looked old and withered. In his right hand he held a brief case while in his left he was holding a leather bound book with a small velvet bag that appeared to have something inside it. He surveyed the town, slowly scanning the land before him from left to right, and smirked.
“Ssssso peaceful, ssssso quaint, ssssso… innocent,” he said to himself, putting noticeable emphasis on the “S” and random pauses between words. “It’s too bad that all of that has to… come to such an abrupt and... nasty... end.
He turned his attention over to the Golden Oaks Library, a hollowed-out tree that served as the town library and the home for the one he was looking for.
Twilight Ssssparkle,” he whispered, bringing the book and bag up to his face. “I hope you’re ready… for what’ssss to come.

While almost all of Ponyville was asleep, Twilight Sparkle, along with her dragon assistant Spike, were the exceptions. She was up and about in her library that was in complete shambles, with books littering the floor. Twilight had plans to clean up and reorganize her library after noticing a few books were out of place and in the wrong sections more than two weeks ago, but for the most part, she had been kept preoccupied by recent events. Even when she did have the time, the thought of it slipped her mind, and Spike never bothered to remind her. He claimed that he forgot too, but she found that hard to believe, believing that he never brought it up to avoid work.

“Twi-Twilight?” Spike stuttered, struggling to speak due to the large number of books he was carrying. “We’ve b-been working f-for th-three hours. D-do y-y-you think we could t-take a break or s-something?”

“No Spike,” Twilight replied with mild annoyance. “We need to finish this now. We've put this off for too long.”

“B-but it’s 11:30, and I’m s-sooooo tired. Can’t we w-w-wait till m-morning?”

“So we can forget again and put it off even longer? I don’t think so.”

He set down the books next to himself and after taking a few moments to catch his breath, he looked up at Twilight, frustration in his eyes.

“You could always leave yourself a note to remind yourself in the morning, you know.” He remarked.

“And what if that note gets misplaced, Spike, then I’ll never remember. Besides, we’re awake now and there’s nothing to keep us busy so we might as well get this over with.”

“How would it get misplaced?” Spike asked, scratching his head at the thought of that.

“Anything could happen.” Twilight answered back.

“I’ll remind you in the morning,” he pleaded. “I’ll definitely remember. I promise, heck I’ll Pinkie promise." He began the gestures that went along with the renowned party pony's promise. "Cross my heart and hope to-“

“That won’t be necessary Spike,” Twilight interrupted. “Because, like I said, we're doing this now."

“Ugh, fine,” Spike moaned, realizing he wasn't going to win this argument. “Anyway, where do these books go?”

“Most of those should go into the “History of Equestria” section.” answered Twilight. She used her magic to levitate the books and arranged them in a circle around, rotating the circle to make sure she was right.

She stopped at one particular book and pulled it out of the circle, handing it to Spike.

“This one belongs in the mythology section. Please put it there, Spike.”

Spike looked at the book in his hands, scrutinizing the cover. It was a relatively thick, dark green book titled “The mythology and mythical creatures of Equestrian Lore and Literature” written in large gold letters. Intrigued, Spike opened the book and flipped through several pages before on one page that captured his attention.

“Twilight?”

“Yeah Spike?”

“What’s a human?”

“A human?” Twilight wondered, turning around to face Spike. The word sounded familiar, as if she had heard it before, but she couldn't remember exactly what it was.

“Yeah, a human.” Spiked replied as he turned the book towards Twilight, the pages displaying two bipedal creatures of differing heights, both having two limbs extending from their upper bodies just below their heads with five appendages extending from the ends of those limbs. Both appeared to be relatively hairless, except on the top of their heads, where the taller one’s hair appeared much shorter than the shorter one's, which went past her shoulders. The taller one was wearing a simple shirt and pants, while the shorter one wore a dress.

“Oh yeah, humans!” Twilight recalled with a smile. “I remember reading about them from that same book. They were a race of intelligent monkeys, If I recall correctly. Not much is known about them. They only appear in a few references in old Equestrian myths and stories."

“Monkeys?” Spike inquired, clearly confused “These things don’t look anything like monkeys.”

“Well, “monkey” is a bit of an inaccurate term. A better term would be an “ape.”“ Twilight answered.

“An ape?” Spike looked back at the picture. “How can it be an ape? Apes are big, strong and covered in hair. There just look… weak, hairless and scrawny.”

“Well according the few stories that there are, they were very distantly related to apes sharing a common ancestor. Like I said, not much is known about them, as there are few sources to collect from. Star Swirl the Bearded wrote a little bit about them in one of his earlier works. He said that they came from another world, but he didn't mention the name of said world. He said that while they didn't have any real special abilities, like magic, or flight, most were extremely intelligent, even more than ponies and the other races of Equestria like the Griffons and dragons." Twilight answered.

“Wow.” Spike said out loud, looking down at the picture. He found it hard to believe that these two lanky, awkward-looking creatures could belong to a race more intelligent than anything in Equestria.

“Um, Twilight?” He asked looking back up to Twilight.

“Yeah Spike?”

“Do you think that humans were real?”

Twilight chuckled, “I doubt it Spike, they’re probably just what the book says, mythical.”

“B-but how do you know.” Spike asked.

“Because Spike, there’s no evidence that they ever existed. There's no evidence that anything like a human was ever in Equestria in the first place and as for this world they came from, there's nothing that points to the existence of other worlds that harbor life of their own. Now come on, we’ve talked enough; we need to finish this up.”

"But wait," Spike interrupted her. "Didn't you say that Star Swirl the Bearded wrote about them, and isn't he supposed to be like, the smartest pony ever?"

Twilight rolled her eyes, "Yes Star swirl was an intelligent, if not brilliant pony but like I said, He only wrote a little bit about them and most of the records that the writing comes from has been lost so we'll never know the context of the writing. It's most likely that he was cataloging different mythological creatures based on the legends of the time and humans were just one of many he recorded. Now come on. I'd love to tell you more about these myths and more Spike, but now is not the time. We need to get this done."

"But... but..." Spike stammered, growing more and more desperate to give some validation to possibility of the humans' existence. "Don't they say that there's a bit of truth in every legend and myth?" He smiled confidently, believing that he had this debate in the bag.

Twilight sighed, growing tired of his stubbornness. "Yes they do say that Spike, but the key word is "bit." As in only a small fraction and not the entire thing. The human myth, like any other myth, probably came into existence when ancient equestrians encountered new things that they couldn't understand so they created these stories to explain them. The human story probably came about when some bipedal race that looked like monkeys or apes from some far off land came into contact with ancient Equestrians. Those bipeds were probably so strange and foreign to the Equestrians that they made these stories to explain them. Now for the last time, come on." The tone of her voice shifted from mild annoyance to irritation. "I told you earlier that we can talk all about this tomorrow when we are hopefully free, but right now we have work to do so let's get on with it."

“But I wanna know more Twilight.” Spike whined.

Twilight gritted her teeth and suppressed a scream. The past three hours have been difficult, tiring and burdensome. She just wanted to get this over with and go to bed but Spike's continued questioning was taking up valuable time. If this kept she had no idea what she might do.

She took a deep breath to calm herself down. "Tell you what Spike; tomorrow I'll write to Princess Celestia to ask her if she knows anything about humans and whether they even existed or not. Somepony as old as her is bound to know something.

“Oh alright” Spike replied, mildly annoyed.

“Good,” Twilight said, smiling with the energy she could muster up as tired as she was. “Now where were we?”

We finished the “History of Equestria.” Spike replied, clearly saddened by losing the argument and the wait he'd have to endure waiting to hear from the Princess.

“Oh cheer up Spike; we’re more than half-way done, if we keep up the pace we’ll finish in about two hours.”

"Is that supposed to be a good thing?" Spike asked sarcastically.

"Look on the bright side Spike." Twilight answered, her lips curling into a smile. "If you had kept talking it would be two days."

"Oh very funny." Spike grunted, now very annoyed after getting countered like that.

Twilight giggled, ecstatic by her successful attempt at a comeback. "Could you go over to that podium and grab the books on top?"

“Alright” Spike grumbled. He walked over, grabbing a stool to help him reach. While he did that, Twilight used her magic to grab the books next to her and placed them into the “spells and incantations” section. Spike placed the stool in front of the podium and climbed up to grab the books, but as he did, he saw something that made his blood run cold.

“HOLY CARP!!!!” Spike screamed, falling off the stool and dropping the books.

“Spike! Are you all right! What happened?!” Twilight shouted, running over to him.

Spike got up, stumbling about all disoriented from his fall. He shook his head to get a hold of himself and looked up at Twilight, his eyes filled with what can only be described as pure and unadulterated fear.

“I-I saw something Twilight." He stuttered, his voice choked by the fear that was consuming him. "I d-d-don't know what, but I saw something. Something awful."

"Well what did you see?" Twilight inquired, becoming worried. She was having a hard time imagining what could have scared Spike so much to make him scream like that. The little dragon could get spooked easily, but he never got flat-out terrified.

"A-all I saw were these two eyes." He started, taking quick, erratic breathes. "These two dull turquoise eyes. They shouldn't have been scary but they were; they were just so... terrifying. I don't know what it was about them but as soon as I looked into them, I was filled with this awful, awful fear." He looked to Twilight, tears streaming down his face. "Twilight, I'm scared."

Twilight scooped up the dragon and held him close to her, her coat getting stained by his tears. "Spike, it's okay." She whispered into his ear while she pat his back to calm him down. "It was probably just a soldier patrolling town. There's nothing to be afraid of."

Spike pushed himself way from Twilight and wiped the remaining tears away from his face. "No way." He shook his head. "There's no way whatever that... thing... was was a pony."

"And why not?' Twilight asked raising her brow.

"The eyes were too high up to belong to any pony. I didn't see what it was but it was too tall to be a pony." Spike shivered. "If I had to guess, whatever it was was probably just a little taller than Princess Celestia.

"Taller than the princess? Well Spike, you should know that there are plenty of creatures in Equestria that are taller than the princess. You of all should know that. Dragons?"

"No no no." Spike insisted, waving his hand to dismiss the notion. "I know what dragon eyes look like obviously and these were no dragon eyes. They were way too small to be dragon eyes. In fact, they were smaller than pony eyes." He scratched his chin. "Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen eyes that small before anywhere."

Twilight shook her head feeling frustrated. Whatever Spike saw outside didn't match up with any living thing that came to mind. She didn't have the time to look through her books for a reference to what it could be so she only had one option.

"Spike," Twilight sighed. "I think it's time that you go to bed."

"Spike looked up, "Are you sure? I mean, if you think i'm sick or something..."

"No no, it's not that." Twilight said, rubbing her eyes from exhaustion. "I'm just thinking that... I just think it's time for you to head on up."

“Really, Twilight, are you sure?” Spike asked, hoping this wasn't some joke.

“Yes Spike, I’m sure.” Twilight replied. Truth be told, Twilight didn't want to send Spike up, but if he’s that tired that he’s starting to see things, she had no choice. Now it’ll take even longer to finish up.

But before Spike could head up, there came a knock at the door, making both of them look towards it in confusion. No one except a few soldiers should be up at this hour, and there’s no reason they would want anything from either of them. To be sure they heard right, they waited a few moments, and there was another knock.

“I wonder who that could be.” Spike asked, turning to Twilight.

“I’ll check it out, see what whoever it is wants,” Twilight answered, with mild animosity. It was already pretty late and she still needed the two hours to finish up. The last thing she wanted was some visitor. “Whoever it is, they better be fast. “

She walked towards the door, and opened it; really hoping whoever it was didn't take up too much of her time.

“Yes, can I help-.” She began to say as she opened the door, but stopped herself. There was no pony there. Confused she stuck her head out and looked around, but couldn't see anypony in the night.

“Strange, I know I heard somepony knocking.” She began to walk forward to look around a little more, but felt something strange underneath her hoof. She looked down, and saw that she stepped on a leather-bound book, with a small velvet bag next to it that looked as if it contained something.

“What is this?” she thought to herself. Who would knock at her door at this hour, only to leave a book and a bag containing whatever at her doorstep?

“Who is it?” Spike asked.

“No one,” Twilight answered back, using her magic to pick up the book and bag. “Just this book and bag at the doorstep.”

“A book and a bag, that’s it?" Spike questioned.

“Yeah, it’s weird, someone just left it here. Whoever it was, why would anyone want to give this to me, why couldn't they give it to me themselves, and why now at 11:45 at night?"

Twilight took a better look at the book. It was a thin maroon colored book that appeared to be very old, with its extremely worn out cover, faded and torn in a few spots. The titles simply said “Spells” in large, jet black letters.

“It's a spell book.” Twilight said, turning to Spike, why would someone leave me this?"

“Maybe it’s a birthday gift.” Spike commented, shrugging,

“Spike, my birthday’s in two months. Remember?” Twilight reminded him.

“Um, oh yeah! I remembered! I was just kidding!” Spike exclaimed, smiling.

“Yeah, okay, sure.” Twilight replied, rolling her eyes.

“Wait a minute,” Spike then said, eyes widening. “What if it was that human I saw outside? What if he was the one who left the book and bag? I could have sworn he was holding something in his hands when I saw him, it has to be him.”

“For the last time Spike,” Twilight said, raising her voice. “You only imagined it. Humans don’t exist. It had to have been a pony that left it. “ Twilight was starting to get very annoyed by Spike's insistence of seeing a human, a creature that didn't even exist.

“Yeah fine, whatever. Anyway, what’s in the bag?” Spike asked.

“Huh,” Twilight said, “Let me check.”

Twilight used her magic to turn the bag over and out fell a pale yellow rock that was about the size of a golf ball.

“What’s that, some kind of gem?” Spike asked.

“I don’t know Spike,” Twilight replied. “I've never seen a gem like this before.”

“Well,” Spike replied, picking up the gem. “There’s only one to find out.” And he brought the gem up to his mouth, hoping for a good treat.

“SPIKE!” Twilight yelled, pulling the gem out of Spike’s hand with her magic, “What are you doing?!” You don’t just eat random rocks that you know nothing about!”

“Sorry Twilight, but I’m really hungry, and that rock looks soooooo good.” Spike said as his mouth began to water.

“That’s no excuse!” Twilight shouted anger in her eyes. “What if it was poisonous? What if it got you sick, or worse?”

“Sorry Twilight” Spike said, cowering a bit from Twilight’s burst of anger.

Twilight took a deep breath, “It’s OK Spike. Just… just be more careful next time, alright?”

“Alright,” He replied, “I will.”

“Good,” Twilight said, smiling. That outburst helped her take off some stress, and she was starting to feel better. She only wished that Spike wasn't the one to take the brunt of it, and maybe someone who wouldn't have been bothered by it, like Pinkie. “Now let’s see what’s on this book.”

Twilight took it over to the podium and eagerly opened up to the first page. While she was a bit annoyed that she was receiving a strange spell book at this time at night with no explanation, she was kind of excited. She wondered what new spells might be in this book, just waiting to be tried out. A book like this could really help her advance in her studies.

When she opened to the book, however, she was surprised. Every line on the first page was crossed out, preventing her from reading anything. On the side of the page, there were multiple check marks going from the top of the page to the bottom. Twilight assumed that this meant that these spells were tested and were successful, but that didn’t explain why the spells themselves were crossed out. She flipped through several more pages only to find the same thing, everything crossed out with check marks going from top to bottom.

“What the heck?” Twilight wondered. “Why is everything crossed out?”

“What’s the matter?” Spiked inquired, recognizing that Twilight was confused about something.

“Every line in this book is crossed out. I can’t read any of it.” She answered.

“Really? Lemme see.” Spike said.

Twilight turned the book over to him to let him get a look.

“That’s weird. Have you checked the rest of the book?” He asked.

“No, only the first few pages, let me check.” She answered

Twilight proceeded to check every page only to find everything crossed out with the same check marks from top to bottom.

After flipping through each page, she stopped on the second to last page of the book and groaned.

“Ugh. What the heck? Why would somepony give me a spell that I can’t even use, and what’s the rock even for, anyway?"

“Oh cheer up Twilight, there’s still the last page. Maybe there’s something there.” Spike said, trying to comfort her so it didn't feel like all that time had gone to waste.

“I hope so Spike,” Twilight answered back, feeling disappointed. She had really hoped that she could learn some new spells from this book, but, evidently, wasn’t going to happen. She did, however, still have the rock that she could write to Princess Celestia about in the morning. She might know something about it.

When she turned to the last page, however, she was pleasantly surprised to find that at the bottom of the page, the spell wasn't crossed out. Finally, a spell she could try out!

“Spike, I found a spell, I finally found a spell that I can read!” Twilight shouted exuberantly.

“Really?!” Spike said, with just as much enthusiasm. “That’s great! So what’s the spell called?”

“It’s called “Xen Portal”,” Twilight responded, as she read the entry.

“Xen portal, huh?” Spike said, scratching his head. “I’ve never heard of any spell like that before.”

“Me neither Spike, but that just means another spell for me to learn,” Twilight said. “But it’s strange; the book doesn’t say what it does, only how to perform it. I have no idea what a “xen” is, but based on the name, it must be a portal leading somewhere."

“Well how do you?” Spike asked.

“Here, I’ll read to you what it says in the book,” Twilight cleared her throat. “To perform this spell, the one casting the spell must focus a steady stream of magical energy into the “Xen crystal” sample. The process should take approximately thirty to forty minutes until the crystal begins glow green. Once this happens, cease the stream of magic and give the crystal a few seconds to let the reaction finish.”

“What’s this “xen crystal” anyway?” Spike asked.

“The xen crystal, Spike, just happens to be the same crystal in the bag.” Twilight responded, using her magic to lift the book and turn it to Spike, letting him see an illustration of a rock that looked identical to the rock that was in the bag.

“So that’s what the crystal is for.” Spike said happily.

“I guess so,” Twilight said back. “Now that I think about it, by the looks of it, whoever dropped this stuff off wanted me to perform this spell. All the spells but the xen portal are crossed out and they even provided the material needed for that spell. It only makes sense that they wanted this spell to happen, but the only question is why?”

“Who knows?” Spike said, shrugging. “Anyway, what do you want to do with this stuff? Do you want to finish reorganizing the library now?”

“Actually Spike, there has been a change of plan. I want to try this spell out” Twilight told him”

“Wait, what?! Now?! At this hour?!” Spike exclaimed, eyes widening even more.

“Sure, why not?” Twilight answered. “The spell sounds pretty simple, and the book says it’ll only take fifteen minutes at the max to perform so why not just do it right now. Besides the library can wait fifteen minutes.”

“Can’t you wait till morning?” Spiked begged.

“If I don’t do it now, I’ll be up all night thinking about what the spell does. I just have to do it now.”

"Ugh, fine Twilight, do whatever you want.” Spike groaned, giving up.

But just then, Twilight noticed something scrawled in small, but bold, print at the bottom of the page.

Warning: While the possibility is very minimal, the spell may or may not bring about unforeseen consequences

“Unforeseen consequences?” Twilight thought, looking all over the rest of the page and the back for anything that might answer her question. “What kind of consequences?”

“What’s the matter, Twilight.” asked Spike, seeing that Twilight was clearly perplexed by something.

“It says at the bottom of the page that there is a minimal possibility for “unforeseen consequences”.” Twilight said back.

“Unforeseen Consequences?” Spike asked. “What kind of consequences?”

“The book doesn’t say,” Twilight said, scowling. “Anyway, if there’s only a minimal chance, it should be fine. Let’s begin, shall we Spike?”

“Whatever.” Spike replied, indifferently.

Twilight cleared away some of the books that were on the floor and placed the crystal in front of her in the area. Her horn began to glow a deep pink as she focused her magic into it. After a few seconds, she released the energy as a beam into the crystal, causing it to glow a deep shade of yellow.

“Alright Spike, I should be fine. You can go up to bed.” Twilight said, magic continuing to react with the crystal.

“Nuh uh, I’m staying to see what happens.” Spike replied, crossing his arms.

“Suit yourself.” Twilight replied.

Twilight continued to beam magic into the crystal for fifteen minutes, but with no results. Spike was starting to get impatient. The book said forty minutes max, so what’s going on? Why hasn’t anything happened yet? Spike began that this whole thing was just some prank. Somepony thought that it would be funny to write a bunch of garbage into a book, call it a spell book, and leave it at Twilight’s doorstep to see if she would fall for it, which she did. The rock was probably just some random gem the prankster dug up.

“Twilight, nothing’s happening.” Spike pointed out.

“I know Spike; just give it a little time. Something will happen, I know it.” Twilight assured him.

“The book said forty minutes at the most, and so far, it’s been forty five.” Spike retorted, looking at the clock.

“Give it a little longer Spike.” Twilight pleaded.

Spike rolled his eyes, “Twilight I really don’t think tha-. “

But before Spike could finish, however, it happened! The crystal began to glow a light green just as the book said it would.

“Spike, it’s happening! It’s actually happening!” Twilight shouted ebulliently, ceasing the beam of magic.

“Well I’ll be darned.” Spike said, surprised. “I didn’t think anything was going to happen.”

Twilight backed up from the crystal to let the reaction finish. She was relieved that the the reaction was starting. The spell took a lot out of her and she was beginning to feel exhausted. The crystal continued to glow the same light green color and small sparks of electricity began to shoot out of it. Twilight could also hear what a low continuous buzzing that she assumed originated from the crystal.

“Oooooh, this is so excited!” Twilight squealed with glee. “I wonder where this portal will go, where it will take us. Oh, Princess Celestia’s gonna love to hear about this.”

"Yeah, I bet,” Spike responded sarcastically. “Let’s Just get this over with.”

But at that moment, Twilight began to notice that the crystal started to glow more intensely. The buzzing began to get louder and louder, until it almost deafening. The sparks flying off of the crystal started to get big and bigger and more and more frequent. Twilight was getting scared. Was this supposed to happen? Is this part of the process or one of those “consequences” the book warned about. She looked over and saw Spike cowering in the corner, hands over his ears and eyes shut tight.

“Twi-Twilight? What’s going on? Is this supposed to be happening?” Spike whimpered.

“I… I don’t know, Spike,” Twilight confessed. “Just stay calm; I’ll see what I can do.

Twilight tried to take a few steps towards the crystal, but the light grew even brighter, forcing her to shield her eyes. The sparks grew bigger and bigger until they were full-on bolts of electricity. The bolts were striking everywhere, singeing everything they hit.

“Twilight, what are you doing!?” Spike screamed, seeing Twilight moving forward.

“Trying to f-fix th-this.” Twilight stuttered, slowly advancing.

“Twilight, Stop! Those bolts will kill you!” Spike pleaded.

“Don’t worry Spike, I got this.” Twilight said inching forward, trying to sound calm. In truth, she had no idea what she could do. She thought that a strong enough burst of magic could shatter the crystal and disrupt the reaction, but she didn't know if she had enough magic left to pull that off. Besides, even if she could, there’s no way of knowing if it would even stop the reaction. All she would be doing is breaking the crystal into smaller pieces, and the reaction was already well underway. Nevertheless, she had to try. She refrained from projecting a force field to keep her safe, fearing that it would use up what little magic she had left.

Twilight was just a few feet away from the crystal when the biggest bolt yet shot out of the crystal, striking her horn. Twilight screamed in agony, falling to the ground. The pain shot through her head and spread throughout the rest of her body. She felt like she was on fire. The bolt's light had blinded her for a few seconds, but her vision came back.

“Can’t… stop… now….” She uttered, trying to get up, but it was no use. When she tried to move, the pain soared to new heights. The pain was too much to bear, causing her to topple over. She coughed a little, causing a few drops of blood to fall from her mouth. She looked at the small puddle for a second before she let her head fall on top of it. She saw her vision blurring and darkness take over as she began to slip into unconsciousness. “Oh gosh… I feel soo… weak, so… tired. Am I… am I dying?”

“Twilight!” Spike screamed, leaving is corner and running over to Twilight “Stay put, I’m coming!”

“Sp… Spike?” Twilight sputtered, looking up to see her assistant running to her. “No… get away… save… yourself.”

“No way Twilight, I’m coming over th…” But before Spike could a finish, a bolt struck the floor in front of him.

“AHHHHH!!!’ Spike screamed, falling onto his back.

“Spike!” Twilight tried to shout. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah.” Spike answered. “What about you? Are you alright?

“Sort of, but I’m still breathing.” Twilight said. “Spike, quick, get help now. Find a guard or something, anything to stop this.

“But what about you? I can’t leave you like this. Another bolt could hit you, and I know you won’t survive that one.” Spike protested.

“I’ll be fine,” Twilight lied. “You need to find help now.”

Just after she said this however, another bolt struck dangerously close to Twilight’s head causing her to flinch. Meanwhile, more and more bolts were striking everywhere, setting books on fire and scorching the walls.

“See what I mean?” Spike asked scowling “If I leave you here, you’re as good as dead.”

“If you don’t get help, we’re all good as dead!” Twilight shouted with frustration in her voice.

“Oh alright, I’m going. Just don’t move, Ok?” Spike said.

“No worries there.” Twilight replied, still in too much pain to move.

As Spike walked over to the door to find help, the glowing began to glow bigger and even brighter. The bolts of electricity became smaller but more frequent. Spike moved back, jumping back and forth to avoid the electricity, but he wasn't fast enough. One struck him in his right foot, causing him to topple over in pain.

“Augh!” Spike grunted, clutching his foot.

“Sp- Spike, are you alright?” Twilight asked, trying to raise her voice, but with no avail. She already exerted herself shouting at Spike to go.

“I… I think so.” Spike answered, but when he stood up, he fell over again, shouting in pain.

“It’s no good. My foot hurts too much.” Spike whimpered, clutching his foot.

“Oh no,” Twilight thought, realizing that there was no way to get help. “What are we going to do now?”

By now, the sphere of light had grown big enough that it partially engulfed Twilight. The light was bright enough that Twilight had to press her face into the ground, getting blood into her eyes, and shutting them tight and Spike had to face the wall to avoid being blinded. The buzzing had gone down quite a bit, but grew in volume once again, forcing Spike and Twilight to shut their ears, even though it did little to make it sound quieter.

“Well, it was a good life while it lasted," Twilight thought to herself, memories flashing through her mind as she started to lose consciousness again. She thought of the princesses, to Shining Armor and Cadence, to her friends, and, lastly, to all she’s been through with them, since that fateful day that Celestia sent her Ponyville on an assignment to make friends.

“Goodbye to all of you.” She thought, tears running down her eyes as she finally fell unconscious. The sphere continued to grow, filling the whole room, until it exploded with a tremendous flash that blew out all the windows and shook the library, grabbing the attention of the soldiers who were on watch and waking a few ponies up.

Good, good, all is going... according to plan. Don’t worry Miss… Sparkle, we've only just begun.

Author's Note:

Woohoo! First chapter of my first story! Let's just see how it goes from here. Constructive criticism is welcome, just no trolling or flat-out insults please.