• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 2,572 Views, 75 Comments

Half-Arrogant, Half-Crazy, All Trixie Lulamoon - I Thought I Was Toast



Trixie is very bored. In an effort to relieve said boredom, she is reading her textbooks on magic. This is a very bad idea. The result? A spell goes wrong and Ponyville ends up with two Trixies, or at least two pieces of Trixie. A Lunaverse Story.

  • ...
6
 75
 2,572

Prepare for Trouble and Make It Double

Raindrops was not in a good mood at the moment. Granted, it was rare for ponies to see past her normally dour exterior even when she was in a good mood, but there was a difference between appearing angry and being angry for Raindrops. If ponies were able to tell the difference, it was probably because they were either a friend, or they had crossed a line to see it for themselves.

There is something very wrong with the pony that fails to learn not to earn her ire again.

Right now, Trixie was warranting anger about halfway between mildly annoyed and blind fury. She had been on the receiving end of Raindrops blind fury at least once, and it had once terrified her into thinking that her friend could snap at any moment. In the end, it had taken her awhile to learn how much more there was to the jasmine pegasus.

That being said, it should have been easy for her friends to tell she was more frustrated than anything. Thus it was with great surprise she found Trixie backpedal into a corner on her entrance.

There was none of the bravado and cunning Raindrops normally saw in Trixie, and that stopped the pegasus clear in her tracks. She’d been so sure that Trixie wasn’t afraid of her anymore, but sometimes she couldn’t help but have the tiniest wriggling of doubts that she still scared the friends she tried so hard to keep.

“A-are you afraid again?” Raindrop’s ears flattened against her head, and now it was she who took a step back. Her rage was momentarily quieted by surprise. “I thought you said you weren’t afraid anymore?”

Trixie cringed at the sound of Raindrops voice.

“I- I’m not-” she began.

Twilight, sensing the storm that was about to tear apart the nice peaceful explanation of things she wanted, tried to intervene. “Raindrops, wait-”

“You said you wouldn’t be afraid of me anymore!” The anger was back, although Raindrops wasn’t sure who to feel angry at anymore.

“Raindrops!” Carrot Top had just made it into the library. “Stop it! You’re going to make it worse if you keep yelling, and you don’t even know everything that’s going on.”

“What do you mean I don’t know what’s going on?!” the weather mare snarled. “It sure seems about as bright and clear as the sky outside! Trixie set the weather schedule behind, and now she’s afraid of what I’ll do to her!” All the furious energy left her, and her voice became very quiet. “She’s afraid- She’s afraid that I’d-”

“No!” For the first time that day, Trixie’s voice was strong and resolute. “It isn’t you! Don’t you dare blame yourself for getting annoyed at me for this! Last night I messed up again. I cast a spell I couldn’t handle again, and the result was that I failed everypony again.” She sighed. “I’ve been trying not to panic all day, and seeing your reaction just now brought back all the doubts I’ve been feeling about how badly I messed up.”

Twilight tilted her head to the side. “Yeah, about that. Didn’t you say that you were going to give me an explanation as to what exactly went wrong?”

“S-sort of,” Trixie stuttered, “but I want Raindrops to actually listen to it instead of having her rage about me being scared of her.”

Raindrops was currently refusing to look at Trixie, but she planted her haunches on the ground and motioned to her to go on. Trixie looked to Carrot Top for confirmation, and the farmer waved at her encouragingly.

“I suppose it technically began a couple days ago,” the showmare began. “Some say the most dangerous thing in the world is a bored foal, and with how bored I’ve been lately I’ve past straight from foalish shenanigahns to downright sun-baked insanity…”

And so Trixie’s explanation began.

It was easier, in a way, to present it like a story to her friends. The theatrics and jokes certainly wasted some time, but it was much more comforting than the cold truth of the situation. Twilight tried to rush the explanation at first, but a quick and quiet word from Carrot Top quelled her impatience.

Instead, the librarian began taking notes.

Carrot Top, for her part, listened for a while before she too began to apparently take notes for her letter to the princess.

Raindrops just sat there and listened.

It took Trixie two hours to tell the story to her satisfaction. She explained of the hours she had spent trying to study from a book of all things, and she explained of her discovery of the duplication spell, a spell she had always admired and equated with Princess Luna but had never been able to find. Half her speech alone was about how she had found and decided to cast the spell.

But then came the hard part.

Like a flood gate breaking, Trixie began to talk of actually casting the spell. She talked about how it had been five minutes of pure doubt and fear coldly clutching at her as every good and confident feeling she had was drained away in an exhaust of magic. As soon as the spell had completed she’d instinctively cast an invisibility spell on herself in fear and backed into the corner. Her description of watching her duplicate walk out of the residence was as surreal as the actual experience had been. She even summoned an illusion of herself to act out the part of her doppleganger. And, when it was all said and done, she waited for her friends verdict.

Twilight was silent for a moment more to make sure Trixie was done. Carefully writing the last of her notes, she put her quill down, looked at the notes to make sure she’d heard everything correctly, and then put her face in her hooves with a groan. “Really, Trixie? Of all the possible things for you to keep, you chose my experimental notes. Notes that, I should add, were incomplete for the most part.”

“Idiot,” Raindrops added with a small smile.

“No wonder you’ve been so twitchy.” Twilight sighed. “If you’d actually read the notes right, you would have realized that that spell was never supposed to be cast. That shortcut wasn’t a shortcut. It was conjecture on how to modify the spell so that a pony could segment their mind. I was working on it as a sort of forced meditation spell to hypertune my focus.”

“Umm… Could you please dumb it down a bit for the less magically inclined?” asked Carrot Top tilting her head.

“She cast a spell that was only half complete,” Twilight stated bluntly. “I have an idea of what’s going on, but I don’t know the side effects. Basically, Trixie split herself not just physically, but mentally as well. I can’t argue as to what the exact split is yet, but if this Trixie is acting nervous I’m betting the other half has even more bravado and confidence than normal.” She opened the door to the basement and waved Trixie towards it. When Carrot Top and Raindrops moved to follow she stopped them. “I’ll need to run some tests, and I’d rather not have anyone get in the way. I suggest you figure out how you’re going to get Trixie’s duplicate back. If what I saw last night was the duplicate talking and not just a drunk Trixie then Luna help Neigh Orleans, because they’re going to need it.”

…..

The dreamy and dazzling Lulamoon slowly awoke from her lofty and luminescent dreams. Her mane was as silver starlight, and her coat was an awing azure. She was truly deserving of the title of great and powerful.

Then she moved and the hangover decided that, as great and powerful as she was, it was not to be ignored.

Even the miserable mire of a migraine, however, refused to lower the peppy and prismatic Lulamoon’s day, and she crawled from the bed she had rented for the night. Had she rented it for the night? The last thing she remembered before her memory faded was saying goodbye to the rest of the townsponies and promising to catch up in a bit. She couldn’t leave Neigh Orleans without a quick stop at her family’s place after all.

The showmare’s stomach gave a mighty and magnificent roar as she smelled roast potatoes with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. That was strange. Most hotels, even in Neigh Orleans, didn’t naturally serve her perplexingly prefered taste in foods. She normally needed to call room service and convince them that it was safe to bring to the room without a biohazard suit.

Heading into the hall, she noted that it was rather small and cramped compared to a normal hotel’s design. Thoughts of the buildings design fled her mind as the need for food reasserted itself, and she nearly floated down a rickety staircase.

Upon entering the source of the delightful smell she found herself in a cozy little kitchenette. It took the enlightened and efficient Lulamoon only five whole seconds to realize that a hotel did not normally house one kitchenette to feed the entirety of its guests, but it took only two seconds for her to recognize the individual sitting by the counter reading the newspaper.

His name was Limelight, and he was one of the best stagehands in Neigh Orleans. He was about average height for a pony, but he was lanky and thin. That, combined with his rather dark green coat, helped him stay unnoticed in the backgrounds of his shows. His cutie mark, a set of three spotlights centered upon the silhouette of a pony represented his particular talent for lighting, although he was skilled at almost every backstage job there was because of the number of times he’d had to cover for one pony or another.

He was also her eldest cousin.

“Limelight?” she asked perplexed. “What are you doing at my hotel?”

The dark green earth pony chuckled and folded the paper up. “Last I checked this was my house, not some hotel. Although, I suppose it does happen to contain your breakfast.” Standing up from the table, the lanky stallion motioned his cousin to take his seat. A plate piled high with hashbrowns dusted with cinnamon and drowned in gravy.

“Oh how nice of you, mon ami!” Lulamoon exclaimed excitedly. "You even remembered Oncle Sky Shaper’s hangover cure!” With great gusto she sat to ravenously ruin the relatively delicious spread laid out before her.

Limelight chuckled again. “I thought you would appreciate it. You always had the weirdest taste in foods, so I figured the gravy wouldn’t hurt. I never could figure out why mon pere always seemed to think of gravy as the miraculous cure-all of the world.” He set the paper on the counter. It was headlined Lunatic Lulamoon Refuses to Shoo Fly Shoo. “One of the many oddities in the family I suppose, although you always seem to outshow the rest of us in that department. Do you remember anything at all about last night?”

“Umm…” came Lulamoon’s intelligent response. Last night was rather fuzzy after all the festivities. “I don’t suppose you wanna to tell me what exactly happened last night, do you, mon ami?”

“What fun would that be?” asked Limelight, grinning. “There’s no way little old me can do it justice. I’m just a stage hand after all. You’re the performer. You want a hint of the stunts you pulled last night? You’re going to have to go take a look at what’s left of the stage outside, Lulamoon.”

Limelight waited for the expected outcry against his cousin being called Lulamoon, but it never came. Instead, his cousin was suddenly bouncing and beaming like a foal on Hearth’s Warming Eve. “That’s a great idea mon ami! What better way to remember last night than to go out and do everything all over again?”

Before Limelight could respond, Lulamoon licked the last bit of gravy from her plate and dashed off to her room shouting something about getting ready.

“Did she just ignore me calling her Lulamoo-” Limelight began before the realization hit him. “Again?!

Author's Note:

Le sigh... I really need to update faster. Unfortunately it always takes me forever more because of a crippling writer's doubt than anything else. I never know if I'm going to shoot myself in the foot so I just end up putting it off. Anyways, update! Expect Lulamoon's sections to be filled with alliteration when she references herself. For some reason I feel like Lulamoon thinks of herself in alliterative adjectives. No idea why.