• Published 16th Aug 2013
  • 1,300 Views, 21 Comments

The Puzzle - englishwitch



A simple trip to an archaeological dig sets Twilight and friends on a world wide trip to solve and ancient puzzle

  • ...
0
 21
 1,300

Chapter 1

The Puzzle
Fanfic by Englishwitch

Chapter 1

Humans;
A guide to the beings and world beyond the mirror
From the observations of
Princess Twilight Sparkle

It wasn’t the most catchy of titles. Ponies would hardly be fighting each other to get into books shops and claim the last copy for their own. Twilight didn’t care. This wasn’t a book that ponies would enjoy like Rainbow Dash enjoyed Daring Do, or even the way Rarity enjoyed those romance novels she always read. This was a book that scholars like herself would enjoy, a book they would search through dusty libraries to find, a book they would spend hours reading during their research into the fascinating subject. For ponies like that, they needed a dull-sounding, but matter-of-fact title.

Twilight caught herself beaming for what must have been the hundredth time that day, or perhaps she had been smiling constantly and had just failed to notice. A scientific paper she had written was not only published, but it was, today, taking pride of place in the Canterlot archives.

“Twilight,” a hoof touched her shoulder, Twilight’s wings flared in surprise. One wing slapped Celestia in the face, her mentor kept her constant smile and even laughed lightly, “Come now Twilight, it’s time for the ceremony.”

“Of course Princess, I mean, Celestia,” she blushed and smiled sheepishly. The habits of a lifetime were not easily removed. Celestia requested that Twilight address her by name since, as princesses, they were equals, Twilight, however, was finding it hard to think of her lifelong mentor as an equal.

Shaking off the embarrassment, Twilight grabbed the copy of her book in her magic and levitated it close to her. It was a double first; the first copy off the press and a first edition, she couldn’t think of anything better to grace the Canterlot archives. Other copies would grace the Canterlot and Ponyville libraries, but this one would be held and preserved for austerity.

The guards opened the double doors, bowing their heads as the two princesses passed them. Celestia and Twilight left the little office and into the main room of the archives. Twilight grinned to her five friends, Pinkie was bouncing on the spot while, beside her, Applejack waved a hoof. Fluttershy and Rarity were looking on with quiet pride, while Rainbow Dash looked, more than a little, bored. It really had been nice of them all to come out to Canterlot for, what was really, just a minor ceremony in front of the few teachers and scholars of Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns.

Celestia looked to the two dozen ponies who were gathered in a group in the small rotunda of a room. Usually a table with a huge hourglass was the centrepiece but it had been moved to accommodate the surge of visitors.
“Knowledge,” Celestia’s voice snapped everypony to attention, “learning and wisdom, they have been the key to the land and lives we ponies have made for ourselves. It was Shakesmare who once said ‘Knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven.’ And so, to allow her fellow ponies to fly that little bit higher, Princess Twilight Sparkle presents us with a great gift today, the gift of her own knowledge.” she bowed her head to Twilight and stepped back.

Twilight nervously stepped forward, the book still in her magic. An ageing unicorn, Ivory Scrolls, the head of the archives, stepped out of the group to meet her. He bowed as well as his stiff bones would allow before taking the book in his own levitation magic. “We thank you Princess,” he said in a shaking voice, “we will treasure this book.”

“Thank you sir,” Twilight bowed her own head respectfully.

The brief and simple ceremony was completed, many of the ponies gathered began to disperse, some followed Ivory Scroll as he left to shelve the new addition to the archives.

Celestia smiled down at Twilight, “you did very well in your first public function.”

Twilight managed a relieved smile, “I hope they’re all as easy.” she turned to her friends, “thank you for being here girls,”

Rarity shook her head, “Oh think nothing of it darling, we’re just so pleased for you, a work in print is an amazing thing.”

Applejack nodded in agreement, “That’s right sugar cube, if it’s important to you, then it’s important to us.”

Rainbow Dash let out a large and exaggerated yawn, “It’s great Twi, but can we go now? It’s cool and all, but all these dusty books and egg-heads are putting me to sleep.”

Twilight gave her a look of mock-annoyance, “Why, Rainbow, I thought you liked books now.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes, “I like cool books. All these sciencey ones are just too dull.” her stomach growled, “C’mon, let’s go get some lunch and you can tell us about that awesome human me again.”

This time Twilight rolled her eyes, like she hadn’t told Rainbow Dash about her human counterpart at least a thousand times, “Well, lunch does sound good.”

“If I might interject,” the large form of Celestia rose before them, “I’m having a small luncheon prepared at the castle, there is some official business that I would like to discuss with you while we eat,” she looked to Twilight as she spoke.

...***...

Moments later the five ponies and two princesses sat at the great table of the grand dining hall of Canterlot castle. Cakes, sandwiches and pastries galore had been laid out along with several teapots, each containing a different blend of tea.

Twilight looked to her mentor dubiously, “A small luncheon?” she half-laughed.

Celestia herself continued to smile, “Indeed.” she levitated a teacup to her lips and took a silent sip. The smile never vanished from her face.

Around the two alicorns, their pony friends were digging into the food with gusto. Applejack and Rainbow Dash seemed to have developed an unofficial competition to see who could eat the most sandwiches, Rarity and Fluttershy were taking small, lady-like nibbles of their food, while Pinkie was shovelling entire plates of cakes down her throat.

“To business,” Celestia set down her cup and looked to Twilight, the smile was still present, but Twilight thought it looked a little smaller than it had been. “I recently received word from a mutual friend of ours, Relic Hunter.”

Twilight’s eyes widened, “Professor Hunter?”

During her time as Celestia’s pupil Twilight had been educated in many subjects, mostly by Celestia herself, but sometimes the princess brought in other teachers when she was too busy, or her own knowledge of a subject was lacking. Relic Hunter had taught Twilight about ancient history and archaeology. Celestia had a great knowledge of history though most of it revolved around her own extensive lifetime. Relic knew much more, dating back to before the ancient pony tribes and had a way of telling the stories that had made the facts just seem to come alive. From just a few rusted tools and broken pottery she spun tales that had captivated the filly Twilight about the earliest days of Pony civilisation.

Celestia nodded her head, “Relic has spent the last year working at a dig deep in the San Palomino Desert. According to the report she sent to me she has made some significant finds. She has discovered evidence of a culture which may have lived in this land before the founding of Equestria.”

Twilight’s jaw dropped. Something had lived in Equestria before it had become Equestria? It had always been theoretically possible, but nopony had ever found proof. If Relic Hunter had found the evidence then it would be a monumental find. Not only would it earn Relic a place in the history books, it would add several chapters to said books. “But,” she said as she began to realise, “What does this have to do with me?” She was a princess, a student of Celestia, a bearer of an Element of Harmony, but none of that qualified her to look over the finding of an archaeological dig. There had to be at least dozen better qualified ponies just in the faculty of Celestia’s school alone.

Celestia’s horn glowed and she levitated a scroll to her side, “Relic sent me this drawing of one of the more intact pieces discovered, Relic describes as a child’s toy and states it is made of an unknown material.” she unfurled the scroll to give Twilight a look at the picture. Twilight’s jaw dropped again, her eyes widened and her wings flared in shock.

A tall and thin creature, standing on its hind legs, with long arms and hands! The shape was unmistakable, Twilight had seen it everywhere for three days, heck, she had been one for three days!
“A human?!”

Eating and merriment around the table stopped when Twilight called out. Her friends turned to look at the picture, their curiosity mounting.
“Them creatures in the other world?” Applejack asked, pointing to the picture, “That’s what they look like?”

Twilight’s eyes were blank, her brain was trying to absorb the enormity of what that one sketch meant, “Its a basic approximation,” she replied to Applejack’s question on auto-pilot, “But it’s undeniably human. But...humans in Equestria? It’s....it’s impossible...”

“I agree,” Celestia rolled up the scroll and put it to one side. “Yet still, that is what the evidence seems to state. Thanks to your now published observations you are regarded as Equestria’s greatest expert on humans.”

“But I saw so little of that world,” Twilight interrupted,

Celestia cut her off, “You have seen more than any pony, save Sunset Shimmer herself. Since she chose to remain in residence of that world, you are Equestria’s foremost human expert. I would like you to journey to the dig site, work with Relic Hunter, analyse her findings and confirm whether or not they do belong to a human settlement. If possible I would hope you can discover how these humans came to be, whether they are natural to this land, or if they came to our world by some means similar to the magic mirror.”

Twilight nodded her head, “Of course Princess, I’ll do my best.”

Celestia nodded and smiled warmly, “that’s all I ever ask. There is a train leaving Canterlot station in five hours, you will have that time to gather anything you need. You will travel in the royal carriage, overnight, to Las Pegasus. There you will meet with a representative of Relic Hunter’s team and a second human expert before travelling to the dig site itself.”

Twilight cocked her eyebrow, “There’s a second expert?”

“The subject of humans is a little researched field, but there are those who study the mythology. This expert lived close by and was eager to volunteer her services.”

A determined look rose on Twilight’s face, “Very well, we’ll work together and discover the truth,” then, as suddenly as it had appeared, the determined look was gone and one of slight panic replaced it, she left the table, trotting for the exit to the dining room, “Oh, I better get started, I’ll need my books, quills, paper....” her voice faded as she went down the hall and out of sight.

...***...

Four hours and fifty-five minutes later, Twilight ran into Canterlot train station. Her saddlebags were stuffed to bursting point with every thing she thought she would need for the expedition, along with a large number of things she had decided to bring, just in case.

The royal carriage was easy enough to spot, located right at the back of the train, it was a little taller and longer than the passenger carriages and decorated with the icon of the sun and moon that represented the royal pony sisters. Two royal guards stood by its door, one golden armoured solar guard and one dark armoured lunar guard, both bowed their heads as Twilight approached.

The train guard blew his whistle, “All aboard!”

Twilight didn’t waste time, forgetting all decorum she ran onto the carriage. The guards closed the door behind her. The train whistle cried out and, with a lurch, the Friendship Express started to move.

“ ‘Bout time you got here sugarcube”

Twilight stared around the carriage, there was a long couch, several chairs, a coffee table and, behind a curtained off area, a bed large enough for either Celestia or Luna. Her five friends were sitting on the chairs and couch, looking at her expectantly. “Wha?”

Rarity laughed lightly, “Honestly darling, do you think we would let you make this journey all by yourself?”

Rainbow hovered in the air, Twilight saw she was wearing an olive-green safari shirt and a pith helmet, “Yeah, the most awesome thing ever found in Equestria, you bet your flank we’ll be there with ya.”

Twilight cocked an eyebrow at Rainbow, “What are you wearing?” then it clicked, “A Daring Do outfit? You do know real archaeology isn’t like Daring Do book, right? it’s careful digging and lots of analysis of fragments found in the dirt. Not crumbling ancient temples, curses and traps.”

Rainbow looked surprised, then disappointed, “aww c’mon, not one little trap?” a look appeared on her face, as though she was wondering if it was too late to get off the train.

Applejack gave Rainbow an I-Told-You-So look. “Well still sugarcube, we’re comin’ with ya. We couldn’t help y’all with that human stuff the last time, but we’re gonna be at yur side all the way this time, even if we won’t have nuthin’ ta do.” the others nodded in agreement with AJ.

“We’re your friends,” Fluttershy said in her quiet cadence, “Whether it’s an exciting adventure, or just a quiet little trip to the desert, we’ll always be there with you,” a little blush rose on her cheeks, “I hope you don’t mind.”

Twilight smiled at the gratefully, “Of course not, I’m always glad to have any of you with me.”

Fluttershy sighed with relief.

Rarity smiled, “Good, now that that’s settled, how about we see what the service is like for the royal carriage.” she pulled a chord, somewhere in the train a bell rang, summoning a steward.

The young pony in a white uniform came through the door seconds later, he bowed his head to Twilight, “What can I do for you Princess?”

Before Twilight could speak, Rarity took the initiative, “Tea for six, and perhaps a small plate of sandwiches.”

“And Cake!” Pinkie jumped in, “Lots of cakes! No. . . ALL THE CAKES!”

Twilight couldn’t help but laugh. Yes, she really was grateful her friends were with her.

Author's Note:

The ending felt a bit rushed, but I'm eager to get to the adventure, which will start to build up in the next chapter.

Edit: Thanks to Bowow for beta reading.