• Published 3rd Nov 2019
  • 1,365 Views, 24 Comments

Our Day in Disdain - Rainb0w Dashie



Rainbow Dash is forced to confront the ghosts of her past and the life she left behind. Lest the one she built for herself crumbles in her hooves.

  • ...
7
 24
 1,365

Part 1: A Mare Called Dashie

An edit I made of a wonderful piece of art my friend from college made for my story

Part One: A Mare Called Dashie

"Perhaps all of the dragons of our lives
are princesses who are only waiting to
see us once, beautiful and brave.
Perhaps everything terrible is in
its deepest being something
that needs our love."

Author's Note:

Musical Inspiration:

A Horse Called Golgatha - Baroness

Our Day in Disdain is a MLP fan-novel written by author Rainb0w Dashie. Conceived in June of 2011, inspired by the popularity of Pen Stroke’s Past Sins and Sargent Sprinkles Cupcakes, Our Day in Disdain was sidelined in pre-production for the next two years as Dashie worked on developing a synopsis and ironing out several plot-holes created from the first rendition of the story.

The story is considered to be Grimdark, Sad, and Tragedy according to the brony fandom’s jargon, but as any story it also has it’s fair share of cute, humorous, suspenseful, bittersweet, happy, and heartwarming moments. So the genre tags shouldn’t be what turns you away from the story.

For those curious readers, the actual genre of the story is Psychological Horror with a little Dark Romanticism and Gothic horror mixed in, and more information about these genres can be found below.

I hope you enjoy reading my story as much as I do writing it.

-Rainb0w Dashie

A Little information about Psychological Horror:

“Psychological horror is a subgenre of horror fiction that relies on characters’ fears and emotional instability to build tension. It typically plays on archetypal shadow characteristics embodied by the threat. The elements of psychological horror focuses on the inside of the character’s mind. This includes emotions, personality, mental attitude of individuals, where characters are in a perversive situation that includes high-level immorality, inhumane acts, and conspiracies.” For more information, click here.

A Little information about Dark Romanticism:

Dark Romanticism is a literary subgenre that presents individuals as prone to sin and self-destruction, not as inherently possessing divinity and wisdom. G. R. Thompson describes this disagreement, stating “the Dark Romantics adapted images of anthropomorphized evil in the form of Satan, devils, ghosts, werewolves, vampires, and ghouls.”. Finally, whereas Transcendentalists advocate social reform when appropriate, works of Dark Romanticism frequently show individuals failing in their attempts to make changes for the better. For more information, click here.

Honorable mention to descriptionari, as thanks for all the times their website helped me find jumping off points when I was fighting my way through writer's block and learning to write this story.