• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 6,842 Views, 472 Comments

Through A Glass Darkly - SpaceCommie



Nightmare Moon won a thousand years ago, plunging Equestria into perpetual night. Now, as Princess Luna's student, Twilight Sparkle must contend with Celestia's unexpected return as a familiar group of ponies are thrown into conflict.

  • ...
21
 472
 6,842

Kiss The Night Air

“This is weird, right?” Twilight said, nudging Dash’s side.

“Sort of above my paygrade, ma’am. I’m just here to shoot stuff and now, apparently, file paperwork. There’s too much weird stuff going on for me to worry about it that much.”

“I could get you a secretary. Less time filing, more time contemplating weirdness.”

“Thanks for the offer, but, uh, I think I’ll manage.”

Twilight smiled. “Okay. But seriously, who owes favors to the princess? How does that even work?”

“Maybe you can ask them when we get there.”

“Maybe.”

The carriage rolled on through the street, with hardly a bounce. This was the city center—fresh tarmac pavement, tall buildings, bright lights everywhere. There was even a real park sitting at one end of the avenue, with real trees and flowers growing under an elaborate array of arc lights—sickly, but there, green leaves and all.

Ordinarily, they probably wouldn’t even have needed the carriage. It seemed clean, safe. The riots that had surged into the area hadn’t lasted long. Everything had been cleaned up, unless you counted the shadow of a dark stain on the sidewalk.

The carriage stopped in front of a tall building—looks like thirteen stories, Dash thought. New construction, then. Concrete, steel. “Looks like we’re here,” she said, unlocking the door and pushing it slowly open.

It was a short walk inside. The lobby seemed pointlessly extravagant to Dash, with enormous oak columns—of course they were real wood, what better way to blow a quarter-million bits apiece—that couldn’t possibly serve any structural purpose, with gold accents, and hanging from the ceiling, an elaborate chandelier with more lights than she could count. It had the feel of somepony trying desperately to impress.

Twilight scowled, and pulled out the paper that aide had given Dash. “Top floor,” she said.

“Classy,” Dash intoned.

“Whatever.”

They didn’t talk in the elevator. Dash guessed she should be happy about that. No good reason to look forward to small talk with Twilight, after all. So Dash stared out the door and watched the floors go by.

A faint ding, and the elevator doors rattled open. Dash got out first, peered past the corners. Nothing, just a carpeted hallway rolling out in both directions. She wondered, idly, if she would have been able to spot Fluttershy in time to do anything about it.

Like what? It’s not like she would have stopped Shy, right?

She waved Twilight out. The unicorn stalked out, looked warily around.

“We’re safe,” Dash said, a bit peevishly.

“There is such a thing as double-checking.”

Dash shrugged. “Where are we going?”

Twilight shrugged, and pulled the notes from her pack. “Top floor.”

“Which door?”

“It doesn’t say.”

Dash walked over to the nearest one, and rapped on it. “Night Guard. Open up.”

Hooves shuffled behind the door, fumbled with the knob, and then dropped back to the floor. The door swung open, revealing a unicorn. She was emaciated—not exactly unusual these days, but not what you’d expect to find on the top floor of an expensive apartment building either, and her eyes seemed glazed over.

“Um, hi,” the unicorn mumbled. “Do you... um... I didn’t...”

“We’re looking for C,” Twilight said.

The unicorn’s gaze locked on Twilight, and it lost its glassiness instantly. For a second it looked like her eyes glowed green—a trick of the light, obviously, Dash decided. “She’s not here,” the mare said, in a flat monotone that seemed to cling to every syllable as if it didn’t want to let it go.

The unicorn started to shut the door, stepping back into the room, but Dash reached out and stopped it. “Where is she?” Dash asked.

“She’s not here,” the unicorn said, her voice still in that strange monotone.

“Do you know where she is?” Dash asked, her voice more insistent.

“She’s not here.”

Twilight approached her, mouth set in a scowl. “Tell us where we can find C.”

“She’s not he—”

Twilight smacked her across the face, and the mare’s legs buckled.

Dash frowned. Twilight’s not strong enough to do that. Twilight pulled a gun from her pack—one of the blocky, nondescript objects designed for unicorns, with no external trigger—and leveled it at the mare’s face. “We don’t have time for this,” she said, voice a little uneven. “Where is she?”

“She’s not here,” the mare said, voice still flat, expression still blank. But her whole body was shaking.

There was the subtle click of the components within the gun moving to their proper spots. “Tell me where she is. Last chance.”

“Twilight, stop,” Dash said. She fiddled with a badge, and showed it to the mare. “We’re with the Night Guard. We need to talk to C.”

The mare nodded, mechanically, and paused for a few seconds. “Go to the end of the hall,” she said, finally, still odd, flat, unemphatic.

Dash turned to leave. “I think she means this way, ma’am. Come on.”

Twilight didn’t move from where she was, still kept the gun pointed at the mare. “Twilight?”

“Nopony answers my questions around here,” Twilight said softly. “Nopony in this crazy town has done anything but lie to me and try to get me to give up on my mission! I can’t even get five words out of this...” She breathed more heavily, and faster. “This little junkie bitch won’t even—”

“Twilight, calm down,” Dash said, trying to keep her voice level. “It’s gonna be fine. We’re going to head over and talk to C, remember?” Her voice cracked on the last word. Twilight didn’t seem to notice.

After a few seconds, her gun floated back into her pack, trembling a little bit. Twilight turned around slowly, and walked out into the hall.

“I think that went well,” she said to Dash, a crooked, unsteady smile on her face.

“I’m, uh, not sure we needed to bring out the gun.”

“It worked, didn’t it?” Twilight said brightly.

Dash hesitated. “If you say so, ma’am.”


This was a definite downgrade, Rarity decided. She had demanded, and after no small amount of dedicated, if artificial, drama, received, her own room for the duration. Perhaps it hadn’t quite been worth the effort. There were all sorts of dark, cramped rooms that didn’t require nearly as much petulance to get to herself.

Still, she could lay on the bed (if it deserved to be called that) and stare at the ceiling, which was hardly the worst thing to do after what felt like an eternity of being questioned about the sordid ins-and-outs of the Night Guard. Rarity suspected that blackmail would no longer be a practicable option in most of those cases, but, of course, she had kept those objections to herself.

After all, it was still possible that the sols could arrange for her to leave Ponyville for Manehatten. Less likely, of course. Perhaps she should have anticipated this quite a bit earlier. It would have made things easier.

It really was too bad about Spike. If he were less conspicuous, it might be worth taking him along. There were definite advantages to having the dragon around, after all. And for what it was worth, she did like him.

Do I like him enough?

The answer was obvious, surely. She just didn’t know what it was.

A knock came from the door. Rarity groaned. “Unless somepony has finally uncovered a proper pillow or somewhere to take a hot shower, I don’t—”

“I guess I can go back and look for the pillow if you want.”

Rarity gasped. “Prin—” She coughed. “Ahem. Cadence! I do apologize; please come in.”

The alicorn stooped under the doorframe, glancing around. “Hello.”

“I really cannot apologize enough,” Rarity insisted. “Is there—”

Cadence rolled her eyes and laughed. “You’re fine. I felt the same way when I first got here. Slightly more terrified than annoyed, but still, I get it.”

Rarity thought that over for a moment. “You weren’t put into a better room?”

“Sol, no. I’m still not.”

Rarity was aghast. “You sleep in...”

Cadence laughed good-naturedly. “Shiny insists on it. He’s with me, which is an improvement—” She paused. “Well, for me, anyways, you wouldn’t like it as much. But it’s cozy.”

“I suppose that does make sense,” Rarity said, in a tone that made it abundantly clear that as far as she was concerned, it didn’t. “I don’t suppose your, ah—husband, yes?—has sorted things out with my request yet, has he?”

“Yes, we’re married. No, he hasn’t sorted out your little trip to Manehatten.” Cadence didn’t bother to hide her contempt.

“I can hardly be blamed for wanting to get out of this city,” Rarity snapped, “and—”

She stopped talking.

“You know the dragon won’t be able to come with you,” Cadence said. “It makes sense, don’t get me wrong, but don’t expect me to think better of you for it.”

“I’m sure...” Rarity started, but ran out of material as soon as the words were out of her mouth.

“He’ll be fine as long as the rest of us are. Heck, he’s having fun right now, or was when I saw him in the mess—I think some ponies convinced him to settle some bets about whether he could really—well, anyways, he’ll be okay for a while.”

“And so?”

“You might regret it,” Cadence said.

Rarity sighed. “I’d rather regret it in Talacon than have my capacity to regret suddenly and unpleasantly curtailed, which does seem to be the way affairs are headed here.”

“You do like him. I don’t mean romantically, although don’t tell me there’s nothing there—”

“He’s ten years old,” Rarity said. “Reciprocating his affections would be in decidedly bad taste.”

Cadence sighed. “Well, then, definitely leave the only creature you’ve ever enjoyed just being around because you can’t—”

“You don’t know anything about me,” Rarity snapped. “Nor, would it seem, was my earlier opinion of you correct. How anypony could aspire to grace without even having tact is beyond me.”

“I know enough,” Cadence said, her voice steely. “I have an eye for this kind of thing, and I wanted to help you.”

Rarity sighed. “I didn’t mean to offend.”

“Whatever.” The alicorn walked out the door. Rarity slumped back onto the bed, and stared at the ceiling.


“So you’re looking for Mr C.?”

A pegasus mare stood behind the doorframe: tan, with an athletic frame, although her deep magenta eyes seemed tired.

Dash glanced back at Twilight, and mouthed, “Mister?” Twilight shrugged.

“Uh, sure,” Dash said. “Is he in?”

“One second.” The mare walked back into the apartment.

“This does seem kinda weird,” Dash said.