• Published 13th Aug 2013
  • 2,678 Views, 237 Comments

Married to Her Job, Single in Her Heart - Revenant Wings



Nurse Redheart believes her job is all she needs in life. That is, until she meets a mare and an almost forgotten memory who show her there's more to life than work. +COMPLETED+

  • ...
19
 237
 2,678

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10 - The Wrench in the Machine

10.

Redheart woke up the next morning feeling refreshed and better rested than she had in weeks. She got up and stretched, looking at the sun beginning to peak through the lavender curtains. A grey mailmare was making her way away from the apartment, which meant that a letter had already been delivered at some point that morning. Redheart figured the letter could wait and turned to face her sleeping companion.

Caramel was still asleep. His breathing was gentle and steady, his mane still mostly neat on one side that hadn’t touched the pillow. One hoof was still around Redheart, while the other had folded up so that it was lying on the pillow and slightly squishing his nose. Redheart smiled at him and gently tapped his shoulder with a hoof. He stirred slightly before opening a single eye and pushing his hoof slightly away from his nose. He smiled at Redheart.

“Never thought I’d have this happen again,” he said.

Redheart tapped him on the nose. “You should have known better, considering you were the one who organized dinner last night.”

Caramel laughed softly. “You’re the one who insisted, though.”

Redheart laughed along with him. “Do you want me to make some coffee?”

“No,” Caramel said, pulling Redheart closer to him. “Not yet. Maybe in a few minutes.”

Redheart buried her nose in his chest, closing her eyes. He must have showered the previous night before dinner; he smelt clean with lingering traces of cologne and candlelight smoke. She felt Caramel doing the same thing with her mane.

“You look pretty even after just waking up,” he said.

Redheart giggled. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

Caramel sighed and nuzzled Redheart on the forehead. She could feel his hoof rubbing gently up and down her back. “What was it that made you turn so fast? Earlier this week you didn’t want to see me again, and suddenly I’m your bed in your apartment less than a week later.”

Redheart’s smile faded, though she relaxed into the hoof on her back. “You looked like you changed,” she said. “You were just trying to be nice and wanted to make things up with me, so I figured maybe it was time you got a second chance.”

“I felt bad for what happened. I wanted to try and make things up with you. Figured I wasn’t in a relationship at the time and wanted to try again. I’m glad I did.”

Redheart turned her head so that her ear was once again on his chest. He was still registering the rhythmic thump-thump of a resting heart rate, the slow beat almost lulling her back to sleep. She forced herself to open her eyes, staring down at the sheets and out the door into the hallway and living room.

“You’re nervous about something, aren’t you? Otherwise, you wouldn’t have used past tense.” Caramel’s voice was soft and reassuring and not hurtful or accusing.

Redheart exhaled loudly. “I saw you when I was at the bookstore one day. You were being helped with your job by a unicorn named Lyra Heartstrings. When the job was done, she kissed you. For a moment, I couldn’t tell if you were going back to your old ways.”

Caramel sighed. “She’s flirty but too forward. That kiss made me uncomfortable, especially considering I did want to try and get things started again.”

Redheart smiled again.

A few minutes later, Caramel was in the shower while Redheart was pouring two cups of coffee. Afterwards, she pulled out a few eggs, some fruits, and some bread and started to cook a small breakfast for two. As she waited for the eggs to cook, she went over and picked up the letter that had been delivered that morning.

Nurse Redheart:

I won’t need you to come in for the next three days. Celestia’s letter came in and said to do whatever it takes to keep Twilight alive; she trusts us to take care of her without sending a physician. As such, I’ve made the decision to have Twilight undergo surgery to remove the damaged skin of her lungs that might be causing complications. After a few days, if she’s strong enough, I’ll contemplate a transfusion. Until then, take a few days to relax and know I’ve got the staff covered, though I’ll call you in if I need you.

Doctor Stable

Redheart was relieved at the letter but found herself worried at the thought of Twilight staying at the hospital for who knew how long, especially if she stayed in her coma. Caramel’s words of encouragement from the previous night came back to her, and she steeled herself; at least he would be there for her now. Perhaps it was fate that they should have gotten back together at this time.

The water shut off and Redheart listened to Caramel as he toweled off. “I swear you’re the only mare I’ve ever dated who has unscented soap in their bathroom. It makes things easier for me; stallions like me never much care for scented soaps. Makes the other guys think we’re effeminate. You should have heard Big Macintosh the one day he came into the bookstore a few months ago looking for an almanac before I broke up with Amethyst Star. He started teasing me about teaching me a few things behind the barn. I told him not in a thousand years would I be stepping on to Sweet Apple Acres for his sake.” Caramel came out of the bathroom to Redheart barely suppressing a giggle. “Let’s move on, then. Certainly smells good around here.”

Caramel came and sat down at the table with Redheart, who served them both breakfast. By the time they were eating Caramel had noticed the note; Redheart caught him looking at the folded piece of paper on the counter.

“It’s from Doctor Stable,” Redheart said. “Twilight is going in to surgery for her lung. I won’t be needed again until she starts to get stronger so I’m off for a few days again.”

“Well, since you’ll need something to do, why don’t we head down to that ice cream parlor tomorrow afternoon?”

“What about today?”

“I’ve got to go get my pay stub from the bookstore and take care of a few things at home. Tomorrow, though, I’m free for the whole day.”

Redheart nodded. “I think I can be patient enough.”

When Caramel left soon afterwards, the apartment was quiet and clean. For the first time in years, Redheart did not immediately make the bed and the dishes were simply rinsed and left in the sink. But it didn’t feel empty and Redheart didn’t feel lonely anymore. Redheart spent the day reading one of the books she borrowed from the library and made it a point not to go out until Caramel picked her up the next day.

Thankfully, the wait was short. Caramel came around to Redheart’s apartment with bits gained from his recent paycheck and walked with her towards the ice cream shop. They ordered a medium bowl of vanilla ice cream with candy bits and two spoons before sitting at a table outside in the warm afternoon sun.

“Certainly is a nice day,” Caramel commented.

“It’s nice the weather ponies haven’t had to bring in a storm lately,” Redheart said. “They probably will by the end of the month, though.”

“We still have a few weeks until then,” Caramel replied. “There will still be plenty of days for other things before and after. Although, I sense a storm coming early.”

Redheart turned to see where Caramel was looking. Not far away from where they were seated was an aquamarine unicorn walking up to the ice cream shop. She was currently acting like she hadn’t seen them yet despite both sets of eyes staring at her. Without stopping, she went inside the ice cream shop and stood in line at the counter.

“Did she know?” Redheart asked as they peered inside the window of the shop at Lyra standing in line.

“Yesterday, she invited me to go to Vinyl Scratch’s club tonight. I told her I already had an engagement.”

“Did you tell her about the meeting here at the ice cream shop?”

“No.”

Now Lyra was fully aware of them looking in at her. She turned with a sly smile to Caramel and winked before turning back around and acting as though nothing happened.

“Well, she’s not a coward, I’ll give her that,” Redheart said.

“Yeah, but a little too brave,” Caramel said.

Lyra picked up a small strawberry ice cream and headed outside, upon which she immediately headed for their table. “Hey there, Caramel!” she said excitedly, pulling up a chair. “What a surprise to see you here!”

“Hello, Lyra,” Caramel said more out of politeness than actual returning the feeling. “I don’t know if you’ve met her before, but I’m here with Redheart. I was patching things up from a few years ago and we’ve decided to get back together recently.”

Lyra took a bite of her ice cream turned to face Redheart for the first time since her arrival. “Ah, so you’re the one he was talking about. I talked to you in the store when you bought that medical journal but I didn’t know you two were a thing.” Lyra turned back to Caramel, and Redheart could see Lyra’s eyes as she examined Caramel up and down. “You’re lucky to have such a stunning stallion as your partner,” she purred.

Jealousy. There was an emotion Redheart hadn’t felt for a long time. Currently it was only slowly boiling up inside her, but Redheart found herself suddenly feeling like Lyra was an intruder. “Yes, he certainly is. You know, it was his idea to get back together again.”

Lyra didn’t turn to face her. “Oh, really?” she said, taking a longer time than usual to pull the spoon out of her mouth. “Shame you initially decided to split apart for a while; he’s grown handsome over the years.”

Redheart felt like she could have punched Lyra right then and there if Caramel hadn’t stepped in. “Lyra, that’s enough,” he said forcefully. “I won’t have you flirting with me in front of my marefriend.”

Marefriend… the word took a while to process through Redheart’s brain, but when it did it filled her with joy despite the jealousy still inside her.

“Ah,” Lyra said, turning to face Redheart. “Then let me congratulate you on your getting back together. You know, Caramel,” Lyra said as she turned back to the stallion, “the offer’s still open for going to Vinyl’s club tonight.”

“I’m sorry, Lyra, but no. I’m not just going to leave Redheart now that we’ve finally gotten back. I made a mistake four years ago and I intend to correct that.”

“And I’m willing to give him the second chance,” Redheart put in. “So, considering you’ve interrupted us, I think it’s about time you should leave.”

Lyra frowned, seemingly to Redheart more out of irritation than hurt. The unicorn went to kiss Caramel, but the stallion drew away and closer towards Redheart. Lyra huffed. “Well, then. I… I suppose I’ll be on my way.” Lyra picked up her trash and threw it away, passing by Redheart as she did so, but walked back in the other direction to pass Caramel.

“You could do better than her,” Lyra whispered in Caramel’s ear, but it wasn’t soft enough for Redheart not to hear; the mare thought she deliberately was letting her. “You must have thought so once before if you broke up with her.”

Caramel growled. “Go. Away. Now.”

Lyra shrugged and walked away.

Redheart was fuming.

“Redheart… your face has gone red.”

“That smart, slimy daughter of Tartarus!” Redheart nearly shouted.

“Easy, Redheart,” Caramel said. “She’s gone now, although you now see what I mean about being too forward for me.”

“It’s not about you,” Redheart said. “It’s not polite even now to go up and ask a stallion in the middle of a date to go off with them. She’s forward and rude. I almost wonder how she got the job at the bookstore with that attitude.”

“Chance, perhaps. They needed to fill the position and she was one of few that applied. Can you imagine there was one of the applicants that had worse manners than her?”

Redheart didn’t voice her opinion, but she didn’t think so.

The rest of the afternoon went along much more comfortably. After Lyra left, Redheart calmed back down to her usual self and Caramel himself seemed to have forgotten about her entirely. They went for a walk to a nearby pond and watched some fish before heading out to dinner at the restaurant again. Afterwards, they went back to Redheart’s apartment as they had before and went back into the bedroom.

He still has the same taste as he did four years ago, Redheart thought as their lips touched. Like caramel apples.

Author's Note:

Rating upped for two reasons: 1) the joke in this chapter, and 2) slightly more heated with a larger presence of Lyra.

PreviousChapters Next