• Published 25th Aug 2013
  • 13,245 Views, 441 Comments

Deception is Magic - DragonOverlord2012



Twilight and her friends knew each other from the start. Becoming heroes was unexpected, but welcome. Now that the wedding of Shining Armor draws near though, it's time to meet up with an old friend, and execute their true plan.

  • ...
46
 441
 13,245

The Past Part 2

Chapter 5

The Past Part 2

“Hey, Twily,” Shining said as he walked up to Twilight, sitting on her new dorm bedroom’s bed, “How ya doing?”

The room was a bit bland at the moment, Twilight only just getting her things moved in. Her bags were still huddled in the corner. She had a nightstand with a lamp next to her bed, a window over the bed looking out at the city, and a few bookcases on the far wall. Bookcases now bare with their contents littering the bed.

Twilight responded to the question by jumping over the mountain of books she already had and running to hug him. “I missed you!”

“I can tell,” he laughed happily. He started walking the two back to her mess of a study session. “What’s all this? Any particular subject?”

Twilight hopped back up the large bed with a bit of comical difficulty. “Nope,” she said, “I’m just looking at everything I have right now. There’s this one on the magical properties of plantlife. This one has some stuff about teleportation that I’ve been reading. Oh and this one is all about illusions! How cool it that?”

“Very cool,” Shining said proudly as he looked over some of the more advanced stuff she’d already started reading up on. His smile faded when he looked at one that detailed an infamous war from years past. He tried to slip it away while Twilight was distracted, when she started tugging at it with her magic.

She grunted in frustration and saw her brother had it. “Oh, sorry. Did you want to read that one?”

“I’m wondering why you’re reading it,” he said in disappointment, “This is about war Twilight. You don’t need to be reading this kind of stuff.”

“But it’s got things I’ve never seen before in it!” Twilight argued as she pointed at the black figures in the book. “You know what they are, right?”

“They’re called changelings Twilight,” he explained slowly, “They aren’t welcome in Equestria.”

“Why not?” She tilted her head.

Shining sighed. “They’ve been responsible for many attacks in and upon Equestria. We’ve had wars with them more than once, and that’s not something a little filly like you should be reading about.” He wrestled the book out of her magic grasp with his own. She gave him a teary eyed look. “I’m only trying to protect you.”

“I don’t need to be protected from a book!” she snapped as she suddenly snatched it away from him. Shining had already been told about Twilight’s emotionally fueled magic flares. She frowned when she realized she’d snapped on her brother though.

Shining pulled her closer to him and shushed her before she could start crying. “I know you’re curious Twily, but changelings have never been anything good.”

“What do you know?” she asked quietly.

“What?”

She quickly gathered herself again. “What do you know,” she said more clearly and curiously, “You know, about changelings.”

“What do I know?” he parroted. “Uh.” Shining debated with himself whether to answer or not. “To be honest, I know a lot about changelings.” He opened the book. “This is the very first battle with them after the lunar princess was sealed in the moon.”

“You mean ‘the mare in the moon’?” Twilight asked, “I thought that was just an old mare’s tale.”

“I’m not so sure,” Shining told her oddly, “I mean, there’s parts of history that support the story.” He shook his head. “Okay, I won’t bore you with that. I don’t know enough about it. You should ask Celestia if you want to know about that kind of thing.”

Twilight nodded. “Okay.”

“As I was saying.” Shining turned the pages until he found a good picture of one. “We know what they are, but that’s about it. They appear to be insects by their wings. The holes in their wings and hooves have no known purpose. They can perform magic if sufficiently nourished, in addition to being able to fly. That and the fact that they’re shapeshifters makes for a very dangerous combination. Finally they’re nourished by, well, love.”

“Love?” Twilight asked in feigned surprise, “They eat an emotion?”

Shining gave a small laugh hearing how silly his little sister made it sound. “I’m not really sure how the process works, but yeah. They’ve been reported to disguise themselves using their powers to steal your love for another pony. Apart from that…” Shining stopped for a moment. “Not everypony reads up on this stuff, but I have.”

“You did?” Shining nodded. “Why?”

“I was curious,” he answered simply, “And the more I read into it, the more curious I got. I looked all over the place, but changelings have only ever been seen in Equestria to the best of my knowledge. Nopony knows why, but they want something here. I just want to know what…” He drifted off as the thought consumed his mind again.

“Are they all bad?” Twilight asked suddenly. She knew what she was, but he didn’t. She needed to know what he thought, even if it ended up hurting. That didn’t mean she wasn’t scared though.

“Well.” Shining thought without even looking at her. “I’m not so sure they are at all.”

“Huh?!” Twilight gaped at her older brother. The one answer she thought she could only dream of, and it came from the most important pony in her life. “W-why do you say that?”

“At first glance they seem obsessed,” he explained, “but the more I looked into it the more I saw the pattern; a path of progression.” He shut the book, it having served its purpose. “Earliest reports in Equestrian history is just a few sightings. Details nonexistent, but I’m guessing they weren’t good. Later there’s reports of foalnappings. Seems bad at first, but the ones I could find with details normally say that the foalnapped returned without incident or harm.”

“So they just want to survive?” Twilight asked hopefully.

“Then the attacks started,” he continued to her dismay, “Always Equestria, but hardly ever the same place. Around or at the capitol most of the time. I don’t think it’s obsession that’s driving them, assuming it’s been the same thing in the last thousand years.” He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “I think it’s desperation.”

“Desperate for what?” Twilight asked in growing excitement and curiosity.

“I don’t know,” he answered quietly, “It’s not as though they couldn’t just disguise themselves and integrate right under our noses. Why take over?” He looked at Twilight in his hooves and saw her smiling happily. “What are you so happy about suddenly?”

She hugged him tightly, as best she could anyways, since her forelegs couldn’t actually fit around his neck. “I love you big brother.”

While surprised by the sudden affection, Shining just returned the hug. “Love you too Twily.”

Spike started turning in his basket, which Twilight had placed on the other side of the bed.

“Oh! Spike is waking up,” Twilight gasped as she bounded to the little bed in her bed. “Shining you have to watch, he’s so cute when he wakes up!”

Shining crawled over next to his little sister and watch the infant dragon claw his way out of his confines and started stretching out like a cat. Finally he sat up and yawned up a little plum of green fire. He had to admit, that was pretty cute.

“He always has that little green fire when he wakes up yawning,” Twilight told him excitedly, “And when he burbs. Startled me the first time pretty good.”

“Very cute,” he agreed with a carefree smile.

“He already walks a bit too!” Twilight told him, “Wanna help me take him out for a walk? He loves seeing new sights.”

“That sounds fine Twily.”

***

“Beautiful,” Spike swooned as they entered Ponyville town hall. Twilight grunted jealously. It wasn’t a well kept secret that Spike had a crush on Rarity. It was a well kept secret that Twilight was jealous of Rarity for the attention she got from Spike. Not so much for romantic reasons as it was because...she lived with Spike! And somehow Rarity still got more attention from him overall. How is that even possible? Needless to say it wasn’t a romantic thing; it was a changeling thing.

“Hi Rarity,” she said sounding as chipper as she could. At least with Rarity they didn’t need to act like they were strangers, even if somepony was around. Rarity did her best to make a name for herself in Canterlot, and after “accidently” bumping into Twilight one day the connected mare started advertising Rarity’s clothes to a good number of nobles. She even started wearing them to social gathering for added publicity. “I’m just here checking up on decorations for the Celebration. Looks like everything's fine, so I’ll get out of your hair.” Twilight tried to walk away as fast as she could to avoid—

“Hold it right there,” Rarity demanded.

Twilight inwardly cursed. So close.

“I know you’re trying to avoid it, but I can clearly see that Rainbow Dash messed up your mane again.”

It was true. Being doused in rainwater wasn’t exactly the greatest way to stay presentable. Twilight’s hair had lost all volume. “Let me finish here and you can get cleaned and pampered at Rarity’s Carousel Boutique.”

Twilight groaned in dismay.“Rarity I can just go to the spa if I need to—”

“That’s a wonderful idea,” Rarity beamed as she put the last ribbon on the column, “We can go together!”

Twilight needed to resist banging her head on the marble columns. The last thing she wanted to do today was go to the spa with Rarity. Not that she normally didn’t enjoy the spa or Rarity’s company, but she was still focused on the Nightmare Moon issue at hoof. Then again. Twilight glanced at Rarity. Maybe she’ll have something helpful to say too.

“Fine, but if we have to do this, at least let me get Fluttershy first,” Twilight bargained, “There’s something I needed to talk to you about anyways.”

“Very well, I’ll wait there for you,” Rarity agreed as she trotted past, Spike still just staring at her, “I’m sure whatever it is we’ll be able to work through it, dear.”

***

“Well the last one on the list is Fluttershy,” Spike read off, “Let’s foalnap her and go to the spa to meet up with Rarity already.”

Twilight groaned inwardly. Just a schoolyard crush Twilight. He’ll get over it…eventually.

The two rounded the path after searching for nearly an hour to find Fluttershy leading a chorus of birds. Finally. “Sounds nice,” Twilight called out, trying to sound nice despite her foul mood. She realized she really did need the spa today. Twilight’s shout startled the birds though and they flew off in every which direction, Fluttershy herself also gasping in surprise. “Sorry,” she lamented.

“Oh, um, it’s okay,” she practically whispered as she floated down, “They’re just startled. They’ll be back as soon as they see us talking and they know you’re not a threat. They’re timid like that.”

“Spike?” Twilight addressed the dragon with the silent “is anypony around” question.

“Clear,” he confirmed. “So how’s things?”

“What do you want?” Fluttershy asked bluntly.

“I am insulted!” Spike gasped dramatically, doing his best Rarity impression, “Here we come all the way out here looking for you, and you think we want something from you?!”

“Yes,” she said flatly.

“The birds sound nice, Spike, check it off the list,” Twilight deadpanned. Spike grumbled and did as he was told. “Anyways, we do need something, and we do need to talk. Rarity is actually waiting for us at the spa.”

“Well that sounds nice,” Fluttershy said happily, “I was hoping to go later today actually. Go home sweeties, practice is over.” The birds tweeted in song as they flew off. “Mama will be home later tonight for a little nap.” She started off into town with Twilight following. “So what’s so important apart from the Celebration that brings you out here?”

“Another thousand year old legend,” Twilight sighed, “I’ll tell you more about it at the spa.”

***

“I’m Aloe!”

“And I’m Lotus!”

“What can we do for you?” the twins asked.

“Hi girls,” Fluttershy said sweetly, “This is Twilight Sparkle. We’re supposed to be meeting Rarity here.”

“Right zis vay,” the blue pony said in a very thick accent that for reasons of regional sensitivity or some bullcrap is kept very indistinct. The two mares followed Aloe into the back, where Rarity was already getting a back rub and a horn filing from two other spa ponies.

“Hi Rarity,” Fluttershy said as she hopped on her own table, “It was nice of you to invite me.”

“Of course deary, what are friends for?” Rarity asked casually.

Friends. The word echoed silently in Twilight’s mind as he climbed onto her own table.

“Now Twilight, isn’t there something you wanted to talk about?” Rarity called out. After a moment of silence Rarity lifted her head to see Twilight still zoning out. “Twilight!” The purple mare snapped out of her trance and finally focused again. “You had something to talk about?”

“Right, sorry.” Twilight took a moment to pull her head back together. “It’s just…” She wasn’t quite sure how to go about it with Rarity and Fluttershy. With Applejack it was easy: just spit it out and wait for the answer. Rarity was much more dramatic.

Unfortunately Spike wasn’t as patient. “Twilight thinks Nightmare Moon is coming to the Summer Sun Celebration.”

Fluttershy and Rarity just looked at him with a bit of surprise before glancing at Twilight. “Twilight, Nightmare Moon doesn’t exist,” Rarity told her as if she were talking to a foal, “It’s just an old mare's tale.”

“So you’ve seen the stars too huh?” Fluttershy asked bluntly, making Twilight’s jaw drop in surprise. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

“I just realized it last night!” Twilight said as she stood, flinging the magic hooves off of her, “How long have you known?!”

“About a week,” she whispered sorrowfully, “I’ve been trying to either convince myself it isn’t real or actually find a way to stop it. I can’t think of anything.”

As Twilight lay back down she couldn’t believe Fluttershy didn’t bring it up earlier.

“You mean…Nightmare Moon is real?!” Rarity finally yelped.

“And we think she’s Celestia’s little sister,” Spike blurt out from his chair and magazine again.

As Rarity began to faint, Twilight used a small jolt of magic to give her a small adrenaline rush to keep her up, to the white mares mild annoying and slight appreciation. “The story goes that the older sister used the Elements of Harmony to seal Nightmare in the moon. Our best bet would be to find those I think.”

“How would we go about finding those exactly?” Rarity asked hopefully.

“I was hoping you two might have an idea,” Twilight admitted. “With as many fantasy books the two of you have read, I was hoping one of you might have some clue.” The two shook their heads and Twilight hung her head in defeat.

“Celestia sent you here right?” Fluttershy asked curiously.

“Yes?”

“I see why you’d think Celestia is the older sister in the book,” Fluttershy agreed, “But if she sent you here, and you’re right about Nightmare deciding to appear at the Celebration, then wouldn’t Celestia leave you a clue somewhere?”

“Nice idea,” Spike said mockingly, “but exactly what kind of clue would we be looking for?”

“Where are you staying?” Fluttershy asked.

“A library?” Twilight caught on to the false pegasus’ line of thinking. “You do realize that’s like looking for a needle in a haystack right?”

“More like a special piece of hay in a haystack,” Spike grunted, empathic with Twilight as he often was.

She shrugged. “Sorry. I wish I could help more.” Her masseuse hit the right nerve and her wings spread violently, causing her to blush and hide in her pillow. Spike couldn’t help but laugh, which got a magically rolled up magazine to smack him upside the back of the head, courtesy of Twilight.

“Well it’s a start at least,” Twilight said thankfully. She was already back into enjoying her own massage, which she had to admit she needed. “After we’re all suitably pampered here,” she said in a bit of a daze, “I’d appreciate it if you could help me look. M’kay?”

“I couldn’t very well live in eternal night now could I? How could I possibly expect anypony else to do so?” Rarity asked rhetorically. “Of course I’ll help. I wouldn’t wish that on anypony.”

“My neither,” Fluttershy agreed as her wings slowly started to fold again, the mare herself starting to come out of her pillow. “I’ll do what I can too.”

“Thanks girls.”

***

After sufficiently enjoying their impromptu spa date, the mares went on their way to Twilight’s temporary abode. Twilight had already gone over everything she needed to for the festival, so she didn’t need to waste any more time.

“It’s right down this road I think,” Twilight told the three as she rounded a corner, looking for the base of the large tree she’d seen. “There it is!”

When the young mares finally reached the treehouse it had already past sunset. The light was leaving the small town and the moon was rising. Small stars could already be seen dotting the twilight sky.

The four of them trotted in while Twilight worked on finding the light switch. The windows were all shut, so any of the afternoon light that would have helped was inconveniently blocked out.

“Oh, I nearly forgot,” Rarity said urgently, “Twilight I think that Pinkie is—”

Before Rarity could warn Twilight, the lights were finally thrown on and a crowd of ponies yelled, “SURPRISE!” with Pinkie as the ringleader.

Twilight groaned in dismay. How did I not see this coming?

“Were ya surprised? Huh? Were ya? Were ya?” Pinkie asked so quickly, and in so much excitement that Twilight had to back away from the hyper mare.

“Yes Pinkie, I’m surprised,” she grumbled as she trotted past her. Though I can’t imagine why.

“What’s wrong?” Pinkie asked nervously hearing Twilight’s tone.

The ponies around the four mares were hardly paying attention to the pair. Just concerned with enjoying the punch and food that Pinkie along with many other ponies had brought, or otherwise just chatting with one another. Some ponies were even playing a pseudo version of beer pong with punch just for fun. Of course Pinkie new better than to bring booze on the eve of the Summer Sun Celebration. Especially after the last time. It was a good thing Pinkie didn’t drink herself.

Twilight made her way through the crowd, doing her best to ignore Pinkie’s constant questions, getting to the snack table. “Pinkie I’m just not in the mood for a party,” Twilight told her as she poured herself a drink from a random bottle. She’d not had anything to drink since lunch. Although she fed on love (and there was certainly enough excess of it in the air) Twilight’s mouth just felt physically dry from her walk.

“But Twilight!” Pinkie whined, “You’re new here in Ponyville! I have to throw a ‘welcome to Ponyville’ party for you! It’s what I do!”

“Pinkie I really doubt I’m staying here,” Twilight explained as calmly as she could manage, “I’m just supposed to be here for the Celebration and that’s it.” Twilight took a deep drink out of the straw in her glass. It was tangy, but acceptable.

“Supposed to be, but probably not, right?” Pinkie guessed slyly, knowing full well that she had to read between the lines with Twilight when she was hiding something. Twilight just groaned in response, which told Pinkie she was right. “…You do know you’re drinking hot sauce right?”

Twilight eyes widened in panic as she felt the heat welling up in her mouth. After her eyes started watering Rarity and Applejack had to asked if she was okay or not. Twilight’s only possible response at the point was to yell, “HOT!” and zip up the stairs to the bathroom, and hopefully a source of water, as quickly as she could (without flying that is).

The five girls, who had all converged on Twilight by that point, followed her in concern, assuring the other party guests that they’d check on Twilight. Spike had fallen off of Twilight’s back in her panic and followed as quickly as his legs would let him.

The six of them found Twilight prancing about the upstairs trying to find the bathroom, and hopefully a sink. When she finally spotted the door she bolted through it and turned the faucet on, both the sink and the tub, having the side intention of taking a relaxing bath once her mouth wasn’t on fire. Once everypony was inside she slammed the door with her magic and locked it, finally giving up on keeping her disguise up.

Once she stopped drinking long enough to breath she shot Pinkie a glare. “You could have warned me sooner!”

“Sorry, Twilight,” Pinkie whimpered, “I thought you knew at first…”

“Who in their right mind would drink hot sauce?!” Twilight half-asked half-scolded with her trademark “I’m going ballistic” bug-eyed look.

“I did once. Y’know, on a bet,” Rainbow mentioned.

“I hardly think that counts, Rainbow,” Rarity snapped.

“Well she did answer the question,” Fluttershy said in Rainbow’s defense.

“That doesn’t count!” Twilight snapped.

“Alright let’s everypony just calm the fuck down!” Applejack said finally, causing each of them to look at her in shock. Applejack didn’t use that language often, and if she ever did, it meant she was close to snapping. “Ah’m pretty sure we’re all more than a little stressed out at the moment, Twi especially given what’s goin’ on here.”

“What’s going on here?” Rainbow asked oblivious to the imminent disaster.

“I’ll explain in a minute,” Twilight grumbled as she stuck her head under the faucet again and shut the now full tub off with a flick of magic.

“Ah got it,” Applejack told her. “Alright Rainbow, here’s the deal. Ya’ve heard of Nightmare Moon, right?”

“Duh.”

“She’s real, and she’s crashin’ the party tonight we think,” AJ explained bluntly.

“No way,” Rainbow said with her hooves crossed as she hovered, ‘Nightmare Moon is just a story.”

“Look out the window,” Fluttershy told her. Rainbow did, although she didn’t see the point. “See the moon and the stars slowly converging on it?” Rainbow nodded. “‘Legend has it that on the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape, and she will bring about nighttime eternal’. The stars look like they’re aligning don’t they?”

Rainbow dropped to the ground and stopped moving for a minute.

Twilight finally pulled her head out of the sink; her mouth finally cooled down. Spike started nudging her and pointing at the pouting Pinkie. Twilight sighed. “I’m sorry I snapped at you Pinkie. Applejack is right, I’m just stressed out and I took it out on you.”

“It’s okay,” she pinke mare mumbled. Twilight tugged her into a hug that left the party pony giggling happily again. “Okay, I forgive you, Twilight.”

“Why can’t you mares get along unless I tell you to?” Spike asked Twilight smugly.

“Well…” Twilight had to think on that for a moment. She’d never realized it before, but Spike was right. “To be honest, we’re not really friends.”

“Wait, what?” Spike asked in confusion, ‘But you’ve known each other since you were little fillies!”

“Well I’m friends with Rainbow and Rarity at least,” Fluttershy pointed out.

“Yes well, you grew up with Rainbow protecting you and the two of us spend time with one another in the spa,” Rarity countered, “Not only that, but you also model my dresses when I need you to. That’s why you’re friends with the two of us.”

“Ah compete with Rainbow a lot, so that’s why we’re friends,” Applejack added. Applejack rubbed her chin in thought. “Ah never realized it, but we ain’t as close as we should be.”

“Friends or not, we gotta do something!” Rainbow yelped as she finally got back into her right mind.

“All we need to do is band together and win, win, win!” Pinkie bounced up with a grin.

Applejack just looked at her. “Well…that’s step one at least.”

“I’m more than a bit scared,” Fluttershy whispered. She curled up on the tiled floor and shivered. “This is Nightmare Moon we’re talking about. Even Celestia couldn’t stop her forever. What can we do?”

“Celestia, no matter how powerful, is just one pony!” Rainbow declared bravely, “We’re six ponies! Heck, we’re six great ponies! We can do this!” Rainbow looked at Twilight. “Right?”

“We’ll have to,” Twilight breathed. She lifted her head and spoke dutifully, “Before we do anything, we need to find out all we can about the Elements of Harmony. Those are what Celestia used to beat Nightmare to begin with, and if we can’t think of something better, then that’s our best option.”

“Did that sound eerily familiar to something Chrysalis said to anypony else?” Rarity asked. They all nodded. “Just checking.”

“That’s different,” Pinkie argued, “We don’t have time to think of something better this time. Now let me think…” Pinkie squinted her eyes and rubbed her temple for a moment. Just as Twilight was about to speak up Pinkie’s eyes finally lit up. “There are six Elements, five known. Laughter, Kindness, Honesty, Loyalty, and Generosity. The sixth remains an enigma.” Pinkie smiled proudly with an odd squeak.

Twilight looked at her completely dumbfounded, similar reactions of shock varying between the group. “Pinkie…how did you—”

“Got bored waiting and started reading things,” she answered matter-of-factly.

“Oh.” Twilight looked between the rest of the mares. “Anypony else? Spike?”

Spike shook his head. “I only know as much as you do.”

“Weeeeell,” Pinkie started nervously. Twilight looked at her urgently. “There is one more thing.”

“Yes?!” Twilight urged with a smile.

“The last known location of them is…”

“YES?!” the rest joined in.

“The abandoned castle of the ancient pony sisters located in the middle of the forest,” Pinkie squeaked, “The Everfree Forest to be exact.”

The rest of them looked ready to drop.

“Well,” Rainbow spoke up, “We’re boned.”

Author's Note:

For the love of anything, do not ask how AJ represents honesty if her life is a lie. I. Will. Get. To. It.