• Published 25th Aug 2013
  • 13,239 Views, 441 Comments

Deception is Magic - DragonOverlord2012



Twilight and her friends knew each other from the start. Becoming heroes was unexpected, but welcome. Now that the wedding of Shining Armor draws near though, it's time to meet up with an old friend, and execute their true plan.

  • ...
46
 441
 13,239

Confronted

Chapter 4
Confronted

Twilight was nervous as she could be. This day wasn’t exactly on her bucket list so to speak. “Maybe if we just talk to her?” she suggested one last time.

Chrysalis, as Cadence, groaned in annoyance. “Twilight I know you don’t like this, and neither do I. We don’t have much choice anymore now do we? If I thought there was another way I’d bring it up in a heartbeat and cling to it like my life depended on it, but I don’t.” Her own heart sank as she looked her dress. It disheartened her to know that Rarity’s fine hoofmanship would just go to waste.

The eight of them were in Cadence’s dressing room. Chrysalis had of course named them her bride’s maids, with the exception of Twilight being her brother’s best mare. She looked at “Cadence” with her dress, and it filled them all with a sense of guilt.

“I gave Cadence her dress,” Twilight told them. Each of them looked at her in shock.

“Twilight, darling, what did you tell her?” Rarity asked nervously.

“Not much important,” Twilight assured them, “I just got her asking some stuff about changelings. She seemed kinda curious, so I just answered the best I could.” The seven of them let out the breaths they were holding. “Then when I was leaving…I kinda got a little too emotional and told her it was me.”

“TWILIGHT!!!” everypony yelled at her.

“We could have done this without anypony having to know it was us!” Rainbow yelled.

“Yeah. We get taken hostage and disappear for awhile, and six new mysterious changelings pop up and take over with Chrysalis. Now we can’t do that cause Cadence knows who ya are,” Applejack scolded her harshly, “It’s not like we can jus’ keep her locked up the rest of her life.”

“How did she take it?” Fluttershy asked, “I mean, did she even believe it was you?”

That was the question they were all asking themselves. They were all a bit afraid to hear the answer. “I don’t know,” Twilight admitted, “I got her to believe me, but I don’t know how she took it. I got scared and flew off.”

“She seemed awful quiet when I saw her this morning,” Chrysalis told them, “Barely said a word to me, but she did stare. Seemed to be judging me. It was rather disconcerting.”

“Come on girls, this is Cadence we’re talking about,” Spike reasoned, “She could never hate Twilight. Might be a little peeved that she never told her the truth, but it’ll blow over. Heck, I’m glad she did it.”

“Cadence isn’t a meanie,” Pinkie agreed, “I mean, if anypony would love Twilight for Twilight that isn’t one of us, it would be Cadence, or her brother, and probably her parents too. Speaking of Shining, boy did he have fun last night. Of course that means he got up pretty late with a really really bad headache, and—”

Fluttershy put a gentle hoof to Pinkie’s lips with a look that said all she needed to say. “Not the best time”. Pinkie just nodded and shut her trap. “Twilight, Pinkie does have a point. I’m sure Cadence is just reeling in shock at the moment. She’s just confused, but she watched you grow up with Shining and your parents. She’ll accept you, I’m sure of it.”

“How can you be so sure?” Rarity asked, “She is a princess, and as such she’s supposed to put the kingdom’s best interest first. Changelings are not widely accepted.”

“But Cadence is mostly just a pretty face,” Fluttershy pointed out, “She’s barely old enough to be taking on any real responsibility. So far she’s just been a public figurehead to make sure everypony feels safe and loved. If she really was curious about Changelings, then she should be a little objective about Twilight’s true nature.”

Spike cupped a hand to his fin again and everypony went silent. “Luna…and Shining. Act natural.”

The knock came. “Girls,” went Luna’s voice, “I’m here with Shining. Is everypony decent?”

“We’re all naked!” Twilight sang.

“Egad!” Shining joked. Even Luna laughed as the two trotted in the door. “Okay, all joking—and my headache—aside, I would like to talk to the my two favorite mares for a minute.”

“I’m merely here to sorrowfully inform you that I won’t be able to make the wedding,” Luna explained sadly, “As captain Armor wisely pointed out, my abilities would be better put to use patrolling the border of the castle in his place. My presence should deter any foolish enough to try and break in.”

“I understand Luna,” Cadence said sadly, “I just wish you could be there.”

“Farewell girls.” Luna quickly departed.

As the other girls started to leave as well, Shining held up a hoof, telling them to stop. He eyed Luna leaving and as soon as she was out of sight, he kicked the door shut and motioned for them all to sit down. “Tell me the truth,” he demanded with a sad and serious look in his eyes, “Where is Cadence?” The lot of them froze, Chrysalis nearly dropping altogether in shock. “Where is my fiance?”

“Shining,” Twilight started, “What makes you think—”

She was cut off by a quick look, not an angry one, just a sad one from her brother. “Cadence has been acting differently ever since I proposed. Just little key words and other small things that nopony else would bat an eye at. Saying ‘sort of’ instead of ‘kind of’. Putting her left hoof over her right instead of vise versa. Little things that don’t just change overnight.”

“…She’s safe in the crystal caverns hidden beneath the castle, and well cared for,” Chrysalis said in her real voice, surprising everypony with how quick she gave up on her rouse. Chrysalis was smarter than to play a hand she’d already lost though. “…You never said a word,” she pointed out curiously as she revealed herself for what she was, “If you knew then why didn’t you say anything?”

The slit pupiled eyes didn’t intimidate the captain for a moment. “Because I didn’t want to end up on the bad end of a mind washing spell,” he said flatly, and without missing a beat, “I didn’t want to believe it either. Everything else was nearly spot on. I always knew Cadence would be ecstatic about the wedding, but she would never rush it like you did.” Chrysalis suddenly found her hole riddled hooves very interesting. “What’s the reason for this? I know I’m just a pawn here.”

“What makes you think that?” she asked without looking at him.

“Because when Twily got here I heard her talking with you,” he said to their collective shock, “I was running back to give a kiss goodbye, but I stopped just around the corner and heard Twily getting mad at you for not telling her about ‘any new developments’. I heard the word changeling and that’s all I needed to know my fears really were grounded. I couldn’t very well follow you down the corridor without being seen, so I left for my post again.”

Twilight sighed sadly. “…What makes you think you’re just a pawn?” Straight to the point, not bothering trying to lie to him or deceive him.

“Instinct,” he answered simply. “What’s the endgame here? What are you planning? And how long have you been planning this for?” The girls and Spike looked between one another. “And how many of you are changelings?”

The question caught them off guard. Spike was the one that answered honestly. “All of them, except me. I’ve been helping Twilight even since I was born by honing my hearing, so she can calm down and not worry about somepony dropping in and seeing her unexpectedly.”

“Ah’ve always had Winona to tell me when somepony was comin’.”

“I run a place of business, so whenever somepony enters I have the bell to tell me. I’m just smart enough not to be me in the front room.”

“I live in a private residence made completely of clouds. Plus nopony is dumb enough to break into my place since I don’t have anything worth stealing and I’ll kick the ass of the moron who does.”

“I have a lot of different animals that would warn me ahead of time, and they can get really loud.”

“I have a Pinkie Sense for that.”

“Of course you do,” Shining deadpanned. He looked at Twilight, who just shrunk under his blank gaze.

“Why would you risk this?” Twilight asked him hesitantly, “If you know there’s a plan, and you know you’re a part of it, why would you risk telling us you know everything?”

“Because I knew—changeling or not—my sister wouldn’t just have me locked up and replaced.” Each of them just looked at him wide-eyed, hardly able to believe what they heard. He just looked at his hooves and dropped on his flank. “I ran over it a million times over the past few days. Trying to figure it out, when I realized that unlike Cadence there wasn’t a single thing about you that was different. Not. One. Thing.

“You were the same Twilight I knew when you moved to Ponyville. The same Twilight I knew growing up. The same Twilight I helped grow up. The same little sister I’d protected her whole life. I started running over every interaction with you after that, trying to see if I could find the one point in time when there could have been a switch. I can’t find one.” To his credit, his voice never broke it’s tone. He wasn’t mad. He wasn’t sad. He was just confused by the sound of it.

“Look at me then.” His head lifted ever so slowly. Twilight looked like she was on the verge of flying off again, but she stood her ground and went up in her purple flame. “This is what you’re afraid to ask right?” He nodded. “You want to know if it was really me since the day Twilight was brought home?”

He shook his head. “I already know,” he said softly, “What I want to know is how. How is my sister a changeling?”

Twilight knew exactly how to answer, but she wasn’t sure if she should yet. She turned and showed that her cutie mark was still there. “You know…this was one of the happiest days of my life…when I got this. It’s almost funny since it’s so ironic. When that loud crack startled me I was almost certain that I revealed myself, but instead I got this.” She got quiet for a moment. “It…will be easier to tell everypony at once.” That caused everypony to get their breath stuck in their throats.

“Twilight I don’t think the whole kingdom is going to be as accepting of this as I am,” the captain reasoned, “This isn’t like somepony coming out of the closet. That’s nothing nowadays, but you’re a changeling. The princesses hate changelings for what they’ve done in the past, and so does most of, if not all of the rest the kingdom.”

“Well maybe that’s why we’re doin’ this,” Applejack snapped, “Dang near all Equestria hates our kind!”

“Maybe we should give them a reason to,” Rainbow grumbled.

“Take that back and shut your mouths right now!” came the scream. Not from Chrysalis as they’d expected, but from Fluttershy of all ponies. That floored them more than anything else. “That is not what this is about, and you know it!” She punctuated her sentence by going up in her own yellow flame, with her now yellow eyes boring into the pair’s respective skulls. “This is about changing history, and righting wrongs. Not. Revenge.”

“Sorry sugarcube,” the cowpony whimpered, “Ah was outta line.”

“I overreacted,” Rainbow admitted bitterly. “They just get under my skin like that. Bigoted bastards.”

“Something we intend to change in the coming days, remember?” Chrysalis reminded them. The two nodded shamefully.

“Speaking of bigots,” Shining spoke up nervously with the question that he needed to ask, “Just so we’re clear on what words I should stay away from?”

“For one, we’re not insects,” Rarity sneered, “Bugs. Are. Disgusting. We, are not they. Comprende?”

Shining Armor nodded. “Not bugs. Got it.”

Pinkie wrapped a holed hoof around him and whispered in his ear, “The only other major one is the one thing you never say EVER. The P word.”

Shining drew a blank. “Um, piss?” he guessed.

Pinkie’s nose scrunched up along with Rarity’s. “One, gross. Two, no. P—A—R…”

“…Parasprite?”

“SSSHHH!” Pinkie hissed, “No, and way too close. Just do not say it out loud.”

Um…parasite. That makes sense. He nodded upon the revelation. “Okay, I’m pretty sure I have it this time.”

“Good. Now never, ever, EVER say it in front of Twilight,” she warned gravely.

“Do I want to know why?” he asked nervously.

“Let’s just say the best way to get rid of one of your enemies is to get them to say it in front of her,” Rainbow said slowly and carefully, “You will never hear from them again.”

“Uh-huh.”

“Ever.”

Uh-huh.” That took a moment to process.

“She’s exaggerating,” Chrysalis assured him.

He nodded. “Um…why?”

“Well, let’s just think logically for a moment,” Twilight growled, “It’s the worst racial slur for a changeling. They had to grow up in Cloudsdale, Ponyville, and rock farm out in the middle of nowhere respectively, with Chrysy keeping mostly to the hive. We grew up in Canterlot. They heard it maybe every couple of months at most when changelings came up in conversation. I heard it” her eye started twitching madly “every. Damn. Day.”

“Word of advice darling,” Rarity said as she passed Twilight her Smarty Pants doll, “Do not ask that again.”

Shining just nodded nervously as he watched his changeling sister brush the doll he made for her as a filly, talking to it like a madmare. One thing was for sure at that point: changeling or not, Twilight was still Twilight. A completely academically focused neurotic mess.

He returned his gaze to the changeling that had never really fooled him. “Another thing,” he said suddenly, “You did a good job of imitating Cadence other than a few small key details…actually, that’s one of the things that helped me reason that I wasn’t going to be harmed confronting you about all this.”

“Oh?” Chrysalis raised an eyebrow, “What makes you say that? You’re right of course, but I am curious of your reasoning.” She layed down and tapped her hooves together anxiously. “You are an interesting stallion. What makes you think a changeling that would jump through nearly any hoop to keep you fooled wouldn’t harm you if you confronted them? I understand you believing your own sister wouldn’t hurt you, but you had never known me before now. What persuaded you to make that leap of faith?”

“What you said about waiting,” he said simply. In an instant they all knew he was referring to what they’d planned about “Cadence’s” suggestion to wait until the honeymoon. “It took me a bit to realize it, but you actually respect that boundary. If you didn’t actually care about my well being or state of mind you would have been draining me for all I was worth, wouldn’t you?”

Chrysalis couldn’t help but laugh to everyone’s confusion. “I always knew mercy would just let ponies see straight through me,” she said as she wiped her eye, “You know Shining you are right about me. I should have been more ruthless.”

“Chrysalis!” Twilight gasped.

“But I just can’t,” she admitted melodramatically, “Even when I know I should, cruelty just isn’t in my nature.” She hovered in the air with a buzz from her wings, and pressed together the backs of her front hooves, making a little heart with two of the connecting holes. “It is…my nature. I can never deny what I am in the end. I’ve always chosen subtlety over cruelty. I’d rather cut my losses and leave before I hurt somepony.”

She dropped to the ground and approached the captain. “But now.” Her melancholic smile faded to a frown. “We just don’t have that luxury. Too much is riding on this day, and I can’t risk you interfering with our plans.” She held his jaw in her hoof and looked him dead in the eye. “I need a pledge of allegiance from you captain.”

“Eh-ah-wh-what?” he stammered.

“I need to know whose side you’ll be on this day,” she clarified.

“We can’t trust you with the full details right now,” Rarity repeated as she formed up with Chrysalis, taking her own changeling from. She hovered on the older mare’s right, her white eyes pleading with his blue. “I can however tell you that there are lives at stake pending our success.”

Rainbow took her place on the left, her now blue eyes locked with the captain’s as well. “We need you on our side,” she added, “Even if you’re fencing on whether or not you trust the rest of us, you do trust Twilight. You already said you know there’s a good reason just based on your faith in her.”

Applejack started hovering above them. “We don’t like the thought of fightin’ Celestia, and Ah figure that’s why ya already sent Luna off; to improve our chances. We can only do so much without rendering somepony comatose, and we don’t wanna do that.”

“Our power is in fact limited,” Chrysalis admitted, “And the fact that seven changelings stripped Equestria’s beloved monarch of her throne isn’t going to go over well. We will need at least one respected pony to back us.”

The captain was stuck in a tough spot; between a rock and a hard place. The way things had turned out he was going to make the biggest decision of his life. It was either Celestia or the changelings. His kingdom or his sister. He had to decide between the two things that were supposed to come first above all else in his life.

“I want to see Cadence,” he told them, “If I’m going to trust all of you I need proof that I can. I need to see that she’s safe.”

“I’ll take you to see her whenever you please, captain,” Rarity promised him.

“I’ve taken every step to ensure that she’s safe and comfortable,” Chrysalis reminded him, “If anything she’s safer down in the caverns, rather than up here where Discord levels of chaos are soon to break loose.”

The four mares, his sister’s involvement, and everything he heard already wouldn’t allow another answer, even if it wasn’t ideal. “I...I’ll stand with you, but only as long as I know Cadence is safe,” he agreed. “If anything happens to her so help me—”

“We promise that no matter what the outcome not a hair will be touched on her head,” Chrysalis assured him, “That was the plan to begin with.”

Shining sighed in relief. “Okay, good. Now what do I have to do?”

The seven changelings formed up in a line with Chrysalis in the middle, Twilight to her right. “Just go about the wedding as usual,” Spike explained from in between Twilight and Rarity, “We planned for you to not know and try to beg you to understand later. It’s not like we need you to do anything different.”

“Spike is right Shining,” Rainbow agreed from the opposite side of Chrysalis, “You weren’t supposed to know anything to begin with, so just don’t draw any more attention to yourself than you already do. Sending Luna off was a nice touch though, very subtle.” She winked.

“Alright, I’ll go down and get ready for my part,” Shining relented in disappointment. He thought they’d have something somepony of his talent could do. “Just…what are you going to do about Celestia?” he asked suspiciously as he approached the door looking back.

“If she resists we’re jus’ gonna have to give her the what for,” Applejack said firmly, “Ah really hate the idea of doin’ that, but that’s probably the only choice she’ll give us.”

“What makes you so sure?” Shining pressed.

“Are you kidding?!” Pinkie yelped from the far left of the line, “Celestia can’t stand changelings! Twilight said so herself!”

“It’s true,” Twilight admitted, “The one time I asked her about it she warned me never to bring up the ‘subpony tar-stains’ again.” That sent a twinge of pain through all of them.

“As much as we hate to admit it,” Fluttershy lamented, “We’d have had an easier time getting Nightmare Moon on our side given the circumstances.”

“Don’t you think that’s a bit extreme?!” Shining said as he reeled back in shock of the blunt metaphor.

Each of them just looked at him. “NO,” they said in unison.

And now I feel like I’m on trial. Shining gulped. “Why?”

“I heard enough the first time I asked,” Twilight spat out in disgust, “I didn’t want to here anymore bigoted nonsense, so I didn’t ask again.”

Well I’m not going to get anywhere with this. “One last question then?” Chrysalis nodded for him to speak. “Fluttershy.” Her ears perked up. “You said this was about changing history and righting wrongs?” His eyebrow raised, “I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

“History is written by one of two people Shining,” Chrysalis said with a bladed tongue, “Either the one who wins, or the one who survives. If two ponies survive, then it’s written by the one with the better reputation.”

“So then you want to re-write something Celestia lied about then, since she doesn’t like or trust changelings.” That made sense. “That’s not all it is though, is it?” he asked knowingly, “If that’s all it was about then all it would take is Twilight conveniently finding a book she knew had incorrect information and demanding Celestia change it with her five friends to back her up. What’s really going on here?”

Each of them remained quiet, not daring to speak a word.

“Fine, but when night falls, I want my answer,” he told them as he opened the door.

“Remember.” The door stopped as Chrysalis spoke again, “Those who do not remember history, are doomed to repeat it. That is the purpose of this invasion.”

“So whatever it is, it’s happened before, and it’s going to happen again?” Shining asked in shock. She nodded. “Then why not just tell her it’s about to happen as somepony else?”

“Because history is also doomed to repeat itself, in the hooves of those too stubborn to change it,” Twilight answered on the verge of tears, “I tried Shining. I really tried to tell her, but she was so sure, she wouldn’t listen.

“Look around Shining; look outside.” He glanced out the door. “Canterlot has been the same way since Nightmare Moon. Ever since Celestia’s been too afraid to lose control, so she keeps everything the same.”

Shining felt a pit starting to sink in his stomach as his eyes were opened to the truth that his sister gave him laid bare right in front of him. Like everypony else, he’d just chosen to remain blind.

“She’ll do the same thing again, because she’s afraid of a different outcome that’s worse than before. She won’t let us do something different independently for the same reason,” Twilight continued, Rarity, Spike, and Chrysalis comforting her. “As wise as she is, a thousand years of fear has made her a stubborn fool.” She pulled her brother’s gaze to her with a flick of magic, and looked at him with a fiery determination. “You can’t live in fear, and as sure as Tartarus is horrifying, you can’t rule in it.”

Shining couldn’t fathom a good response. Any doubt in his mind was washed away with a few simple truths. Celestia was afraid to change, and according to his trusted sister, that would cause disaster. “Okay then,” he said softly. Before he trotted away he added, “Oh, by the way, the shield is weakest at the bottom.”

Author's Note:

Special thanks to my new proof-reader Pony Paradox.

This chapter is sort of a successful experiment for me. Sort of akin to the episode “Stewie and Brian” from Family Guy. More or less just one long scene for the entire chapter, something I’ve never really done before.