• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 14,312 Views, 221 Comments

Warring Dusk - AlphatheGriffin17



A happy day soon descends into a war between two peoples. Canterlot is under siege, the princesses are captured and Dusk must take up arms or watch his home fall.

  • ...
6
 221
 14,312

Changing Views

Even though the number of ponies populating it were starting to lessen, the town was still abuzz with activity. While most other ponies were gathering together family members and loved ones, gradually trickling out of town to relative safety, those who elected to stay behind and defend their home were preparing for the coming battle.

Some worked alone, some in groups. Some gathered together weapons, or the closest thing they had to a weapon, some tried to calm or psyche themselves so they were ready to fight. Everypony had their own way of getting ready for battle and a certain butter yellow Pegasus in her home was no different.

"Grr, rargh!" snarled Fluttershy into the mirror. "Y-you want a p-piece of me changeling? Huh, d-do you?"

The reflection snarled back at her and she jumped with fright.

"W-well you can, whatever you want!" she squealed, cowering before it. "I'm so sorry, please don't hurt me!"

It took her a few minutes and a few taps from Angel to be reminded that there was no changeling in her home. She'd just been startled by her own reflection. Again. How silly was that…?

She sighed and picked herself up to try again. She closed her eyes, remembering Rainbow's advice to focus on things that would make her angry. It would give her the courage to strike back, to stand her ground no matter how scared she might be. She'd done it against the Paraserpents, she just had to find it again.

She pictured all the things that would set her blood boiling. Seeing a poor little creature being bullied, her friends in danger, Ray calling her name for help… for some reason, the last one really got her angry and she actually thought he was for a moment.

"Right then, let's do this!" she growled, rounding on the mirror and standing firm against the face that growled back. "Do you want a piece of me, do you?!"

"That's one way to greet a friend." She jumped and squeaked again at the sound of the voice. "And that's another, but not as scary."

She whipped around, her heart rate lowering when she saw who it was. "Oh, Twilight… I didn't realise it was you."

"I noticed, otherwise I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be much left of me," laughed the unicorn, but stopping when Angel ran up to her leg. "What the…?"

The bunny glared at her in a way that gave Fluttershy chills. He started to punch her leg with his little paws, darting around her like a boxer.

"Angel bunny, stop that right now!" She flew up and pulled him away. "Bad bunny, that's not very nice!"

He didn't heed her, tried to struggle away while pointing frantically at Twilight and shaking his head. The librarian watched him warily while the Pegasus held him back.

"That's enough from you, mister!" She planted him at the door to the garden. "Outside, go on! Go!"

Angel kept up his little display for a few seconds, turning his glare to Fluttershy. She remembered about being assertive and didn't flinch. Finally, he stamped his foot, turned tail and marched out in a huff.

Fluttershy shook her head and turned back to her friend. "I'm so sorry, Twilight. I've never seen him act like that before, especially not with you.

"It's fine. I suppose he's just tense with all that's going on," she reasoned. "What did your reflection ever do to receive such punishment?"

"Scaring me, so far," she giggled. "No, I'm j-just trying to get myself ready. You know, for the fight. I thought… this would be the b-best way to do it."

"Well, if the changelings come at us with mirrors, I'm sure they won't stand a chance against you," she giggled.

"R-right," she laughed reluctantly. "I'll… I'll just try my best, for my home, for you all…"

Twilight's features became concerned. "How are you, Fluttershy? How are you feeling about all of this?"

"I… I'm fine," she lied. "You don't need to worry about me, Twilight."

"I beg to differ." She placed a hoof on her shoulder. "You don't have to lie to me, Fluttershy. I'm your friend, aren't I? You can tell me how you feel."

Fluttershy was both grateful to Twilight and spiteful to herself for appearing to look so pathetic. She collapsed to the floor and shook her head.

"I… I don't know if I can do this, Twilight," she admitted. "The fighting… I don't know what I can hope to do…"

She nodded. "I think I know what you mean."

"I know it sounds silly, but I'm… I'm just scared," she whispered. "Even after Discord and Doom, after all I've seen I'm… I'm still scared. Can you believe that?"

"I can," she said gently. "It's okay to be scared, Fluttershy. I am too."

"But you can be a lot braver!" she insisted. "I didn't even really help, back in Canterlot. You can all fight… I was just cowering, t-trying to stay out of the way. I barely even threw a punch, for all the good it would have done…"

"It's okay, Fluttershy… I understand…" She hugged her gently. "In fact, to be honest… that was kind of what I was here to talk to you about."

"What?" she asked. "What is it?"

"Well…" She hesitated. "No, I don't think I should say…"

"No, please, tell me," she pressed on. "It wouldn't be important if you didn't want to tell me, especially with what… what's happening. I mean, only if you want…"

Twilight frowned in thought. "I'm just wondering here… you're not much of a fighter, right? I think we both know that."

"Oh, I'm really not," she agreed immediately. "I honestly think I wouldn't be much help… I'd just get in your way."

"Right, because and don't take this the wrong way but… I think so too," she said with conviction. "I mean, I'm sure you're trying your best but…"

"It's okay, Twilight… I know where you're coming from…" She could hear the waver in her voice. "Do you really think… I should stay out of the fight?"

"Honestly? Yes, I do," she affirmed. "It would be best for you, best for everypony. I'm sorry to say it, but I really think so."

"Right…" Even though she knew it all along, hearing that still stung. "What about the others… do they think so?"

"Yes, but they don't want to say anything in case you got upset," she explained. "I thought it would be best to be honest with you. They're worried about what might happen to you."

"I see…"

"Ray especially. I know he doesn't say, but he really doesn't want to see you get hurt," she said softly. "You can tell how worried he is for you. He'd say the same if he were here… and if he wanted to."

"I understand…" she murmured weakly. "Thanks for t-telling me this, Twilight. W-what do you think I… I should do?"

"I'd say that's more up to you," she answered. "Whatever it is you think you should do, you go ahead. Believe me, it's for the best."

"Right… I'll try and t-think about it…" she replied. "Th-thanks for coming by, Twilight. If you hadn't and… I'd gone out there…"

"No problem, but let's not think about that now. Thanks for being so understanding. Just…" She lowered her voice. "Don't tell anypony I spoke to you about this. I don't think the others would be happy if they found out."

"R-right… I'll keep quiet…" she nodded. "You're right… I knew it all along… I'll s-stay out of this…"

"I'm glad to hear it." She smiled tightly and gave her one last hug. "Well, I'd better get going. Things of my own to prepare. Take care now, Fluttershy."

She nodded. "You too, Twilight… be careful…"

"I will." She paused at the door and looked back. "I'm not trying to hurt you, Fluttershy. I just want you to think carefully before something else does. Or worse."

The librarian left, walking back towards town. Fluttershy didn't even watch her go, barely able to move from this spot in the floor. The words weighed to heavily on her mind to let her move. She had known deep down all along how her friends… how Ray must feel. She'd desperately hoped she could be brave enough, that she could do something…

How pathetic was that?

She stood back in front of the mirror, trying to find that anger again. But she didn't see any scary fighter or anger driven pony. All she saw was her, timid and scared, about as much use in the coming battle as a toothpick. Twilight was right. She wouldn't last a minute…

She bowed her head, hoping her mane would be enough to cover the tears that had started to fall down her face.


Rainbow Dash had seen many ways to prepare a pony for something big and important, especially for some kind of tournament or fight. Flying laps around a track, long gruelling periods of wing-ups and weightlifting, self-pep talks, anything that would help motivate you and get your strength up for the final show. She'd experienced it herself a few times.

She thought she had seen it all, but even she had never seen anything like what Pinkie Pie was doing, dressed up in a head band, sweat band, shorts, everything a gym enthusiast would need. She liked to think she was dedicated, but this… this was a whole new level.

She watched amazed as the party pony went about her 'exercises'. It wasn't so much that she was preparing custom shells for her party cannon, mixing together her patented party grenades, exercising with everything from skipping ropes to weights to punching bags while having the occasional cake in-between.

It was more to do with the fact that she was not only managing to perform all of these tasks at once, barely slowing down or stopping and playing this particular music from somewhere in her home. Even she couldn't resist bobbing her head to the beat, while Pinkie would occasionally sing along to it.

The hour's approaching to give it your best,
And you've got to reach your prime
That's when you need to put yourself to the test,
And show us a passage of time
We're gonna need a montage!

We're gonna need a montage!

Show a lot of things happening at once,
Remind everypony of what's going on!
And with every shot show a little improvement,
To show it all would take too long!
That's called a montage!

"Pinkie," she laughed, shaking her head, "I know it seems like I say this every day but you are so random."

"Aw, you don't say that every day, Dashie," she replied, placing some powder into a grenade casing. "Just every other day." A small explosion sounded off. "Hmm, needs more flashy stuff."

"There's gonna be a lot of that." She shook her head again. "How have you even got the energy to pull off all of this."

"That's what this is for." She held up the cake when she darted by it. "Never underestimate the power of the sugar rush, Dashie."

That earned a laugh. "I think you're just on a permanent sugar rush. I still think you're gonna end up crashing if you keep this up."

"Come on, Dashie!" She paused at the punching bag with a changeling pasted on it. "You can't deny it works. Even Fluttershy had a montage."

"What the heck is a montage anyway?"

"Besides," she went on, avoiding the question, "pretty funny to hear you tell me about crashing."

"Oh yeah, real funny," she remarked. "The only thing that's gonna be crashing are those changelings when they show up and try to take me on."

"That's the spirit, Dashie!" Her face darkened a moment. "Those meanies are gonna think twice for thinking they could have their party here in Ponyville when it's not Pinkie-approved."

"I know I would." She smirked at her. "I'm glad you're on our side, Pinkie."

"Of course I am," she replied brightly. "Whatever side my friends are on, that's where I am. Unless they're changelings pretending to be my friends, but that would be fine. I can always tell who my real friends are."

"I hope so or we're gonna have a lot of friendly fire." She stretched her limbs. "Well, I'm gonna prep myself too. Have fun making your… montage."

"Okay-dokey-lokey!" affirmed Pinkie. "You should try it too, it really works!"

"I'll pass!" she called back.

"Suit yourself! Always fade out in a montage," she heard her sing, "it seems like more time has passed in a montage…"

Rainbow allowed herself another laugh. Pinkie sure did have her crazy methods for any situation. Personally, she preferred her own methods which were just as awesome, if a little less random. Looking up at the sky, she could see that a few other Pegasi had the same idea. Those who did were all punching and kicking at clouds while fighting or sparring with each other.

It was good to see them all so serious about this, like when she'd trained them for the water collection for Cloudsdale. She remembered that the Pegasi used to be great wairrors. Good to see they were all going to be going back to their roots.

She ducked casually under a punch that almost hit her, backing up a little.

"Careful where you swing there, Thunderlane," she warned with a chuckle. "You almost took my head off there."

"Sorry, Dash," he replied. "I just saw you moving and I acted with my gut. Didn't realise till my hoof was already flying."

"Well, it was a good punch, just control you gut more," she advised. "Won't be much good if you're hitting more of our guys than theirs."

"You got it," he nodded. "You should see Cloudchaser and Flitter over there. The way they move, I'd swear they were one pony."

She looked over to see the twin Pegasi to see them double-teaming clumps of unfortunate clouds. He was right, they moved so well in-sync it was like they were reading each other's minds or something. Every now and then though, one of them might hit the other by accident and it would shatter their unity.

"Hey, watch where you're kicking!" yelled Cloudchaser.

"Me? You were the one who was supposed to go under me, not above me!" argued Flitter.

"How come you didn't see me? I was literally right next to you!"

"Then say something next time! I'm not psychic!"

"She's right!" called Rainbow. "You two are great, but communicate more or you'll just end up with more of that!"

"You got it, Rainbow!" called Flitter. "See? Told you we should talk more while we're fighting to make this work."

"Whatever," grumbled Cloudchaser. "Never have to talk when we're doing this for clearing clouds and clouds can't hear us so they know how to fight back."

"Then we'll just keep it short and snappy," she reasoned. "They won't have time to act and they won't know what hit them."

Rainbow was about to tell them that was exactly what they should do when she had to dodge something else.

"Look out below!"

A grey blur shot past her and slammed into the ground, leaving a fairly sizable crater. Thinking it was a changeling, she darted up to confront it only to find a familiar wall-eyed Pegasus crawling out, smiling bashfully.

"Sorry, Rainbow Dash," she said. "I was just trying to do a kick but… I went rump first instead of hoof and lost control. It was just an accident."

Rainbow stared up at the several clouds she'd managed to travel through on the way down and the size of the crater she'd left.

"You have a few more accidents like that, Derpy and the changelings won't stand a chance," she laughed, helping her out. "Just make sure you try and land on them."

"You got it!" She looked past Rainbow and waved. "Hey, Twilight! No changelings, just me!"

She looked down to see the lavender unicorn approaching her. Though she couldn't really tell from this distance, she could partially make out some apprehensiveness on her face. Even with this distance, it was kind of easy to tell with Twilight.

"Hey, Rainbow." She could hear the waver in her voice. "Can I talk to you, please? Alone? I wouldn't ask, but it's urgent and I'm not sure who else to tell."

"Sure," she said without hesitation. "You keep at it, Derpy. Try to land on something that's not a pony."

"Right!" she replied brightly, while Rainbow walked off with Twilight. "If you're not feeling great, Twilight, I can bake you a muffin! That'll cheer you up, come tell me if you want one!"

"Yeah, they're doing great," she noted to her friend while they walked. "You can bet by the time the changelings show up, the Pegasi will be ready to send 'em running right off again."

"Good to know," she muttered. "But I hope they won't have to be ready to deal with this…"

That made the daredevil even more concerned, so she picked up the pace and led her into a side alley. She only seemed to grow more apprehensive while they walked… even scared. This had to be pretty bad.

"Okay, shoot," she offered when she was sure they were alone. "What's gotten you so spooked all of a sudden?"

"I… I need to tell you something, something important…" she whispered, on the verge of panic. "I… I didn't know who else to tell, who else should know but…"

"Whoa, slow down. Put the brakes on, get yourself together, then tell me," she told her.

"Right… okay…" She took a few moments to collect herself. "It's… it's about Dusk. I wasn't sure if I should say this, I don't even think he has, you know how he is but… I think he's coming back."

Even though she had a pretty good idea of who 'he' might be, she had to ask. "Who is?"

"… Doom…"

Cruel laughter, shattering bones, blinding pain, it all rushed back to her in that second before she got it under control.

"Doom?" Rainbow was startled by the whisper she now spoke in. "But… I thought you got rid of him. Your spell, it got him out."

"I thought it did but… I saw Dusk, during the fighting," she whispered. "Every now and then, his eyes would turn go the same shade… his eyes. A few times… it actually looked like he was enjoying it."

Rainbow suddenly felt a little colder. "You sure you saw it?"

"I don't know, I'm not even sure if he knows, but I want to be ready for the eventuality," she said earnestly. "I didn't really know who else to tell. You of all ponies know how dangerous he is…"

"Yeah, I remember," she muttered. "Well… I dunno about this, Twilight, but… I'll be on the lookout, in case anything happens."

"Thank you, I knew I could count on you!" She threw her hooves around her in a hug. "Just don't mention to the others I told you about this. If Dusk or rather… Doom hears it was me, he might get angry enough to…"

"It's okay, I won't say anything," she promised. "If he does show up again, I'll knock him back down before he can even say 'hi'."

"I know you will." She looked around fearfully. "I should get back, keep an eye on him. Thanks again, Rainbow."

She galloped off and the Pegasus could feel a slight tingling in her wings.

She really wasn't sure what to think of that. With all that was going on, Twilight might just be scared and seeing things. With all that was going on, that wasn't too much of a long shot. But she looked so convinced, so scared that what she was saying might be true…

If it was, if Dusk did turn again…

She looked back toward the Pegasi, still training for the battle, at the other ponies who'd elected to fight or those who were fleeing. It was bad enough that changelings were on the way, they didn't need this too. They'd already suffered under Doom once… she wouldn't be about to let it happen again.

Rainbow didn't know if Twilight was right about this, but maybe it was a good idea to keep an eye on Dusk. Just in case…


"Sweetie Belle, I don't want any more arguments," Rarity said firmly. "I want you to go to mother and father's house and evacuate with them."

"But I want to stay with you!" she insisted, tears streaming down her face. "I want to help you in the fight!"

"Don't be ridiculous, Sweetie. You're far too young to be involved in such a conflict," she said.

"That didn't stop me from helping you against Discord!" she argued.

"Only because I had little say in it until you literally showed up in the fight!" she countered. "If I had my way, you would have been sent off right then and there."

"Then why did you let me stay?"

"Because last time, nowhere was safe. Discord's influence was everywhere, but Chrysalis will have to put in more effort before she can achieve what he did with a snap of his fingers."

"Then you'll need more of an effort to help stop her and I want to help!"

"Sweetie, please do as I say," she begged. "You're too young and it's too dangerous for you to stay."

"I don't care about that!" she screamed. "I don't want to leave you!"

"I… I don't want to leave you either."

"Then let me stay. I can't just leave my big sister…"

"And I could not forgive myself if anything happened to my little sister." She cupped her cheek. "You're my little sister, the only one I have. I wasn't sure if I could keep you safe last time, but now I have the chance to see you get away safely. I don't want to leave you, but I have to. The least I can do is make sure you're safe this time. Please, for me?"

The filly stood there for a long while, her bright green eyes shimmering, begging almost as loudly as if she'd been speaking. Finally, after what felt like an age, she lowered her head, her bobbing curls falling over her face.

It was necessary, but it still pained the unicorn to see her younger sibling like this.

"It's not so bad, Sweetie. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo are being evacuated out too," she tried in an attempt to lessen it. "At least you'll have them with you."

"But we'd all want to stay with you… and help you." She hugged her, her tears soaking Rarity's leg. "Come back safe, big sister."

She hugged her back. "That's a promise, little sister. Now, go on. I'll see you off before you go."

She hated herself for making it sound like she was just saying goodbye after having them over for tea, but she just didn't know how else to express it. Other than allowing her own tears to start flowing, but she had to remain strong for Sweetie Belle.

The filly remained gripping her leg for a long while, Rarity soothingly stroking her mane and trying hard not to cry herself. Finally, she let go and gave a little hopeful smile.

"You make sure… you beat those uncouth ruffians out of our home," she sniffed.

She managed to return it. "Oh don't worry, I'll see to it personally."

With that, her little sister left the Boutique, though not with any less tears. Rarity watched her go from the window, feeling some of her own tears trickle down her cheeks. She gave a hearty sniff and wiped them away.

"Compose yourself, Rarity," she told herself. "Now is not the time for tears. It is the time for action and for that, I need the appropriate accessory."

She ventured upstairs to her inspiration room, pulling out a long box that she had kept under the desk. She opened it slowly, gazing upon its contents. She nodded in satisfaction, pulled it out and wore it on her person, looking it over in the mirror. It went perfectly with the rest of her, as she'd intended.

In the wake of Discord's serpents and Doom's takeover, she felt it was a necessary step to take. She didn't really like getting her hooves dirty, she was skilled at dancing and making clothes, manipulating fabric with her magic. This looked like the perfect combination and hopefully, it would be.

She heard the sound of the bell to her shop ringing. Probably one of the others, she thought. Or perhaps Spike.

"I'm upstairs," she called down. "Feel free to come up, if you wish!"

"Hey Rarity," came Twilight's voice a few seconds later. "Weird time to be modelling a new scarf, isn't it?"

"Ah, but this is not just any scarf, my dear Twilight." She levitated it before her. "You see here, how the edges are shining? It's because I weaved gems all the way along them for its purpose."

"I see… and that is?" she asked, examining it.

"For the defence of my person." She suddenly whipped it towards some fabric, slicing it in half. "Not sharp enough to cut all the way, but enough to deter an attacker."

"I see…" remarked Twilight. "And you can wear it when you're not using it?"

"Exactly. It is, for one such as myself, the perfect weapon…" She used it a few times as a ribbon dancer might… "and the perfect accessory, adjustable for winter or summer." She wrapped it back around her neck and posed. "Isn't it fabulous?"

"Very lovely," agreed Twilight. "Just so long as you don't cut yourself with it."

"Indeed." They walked back downstairs, where Rarity offered her a place on her swooning couch. "So, what brings you here, darling?"

"Well," she replied, suddenly fiddling with her hooves, "I wanted to talk to you about something."

Rarity had somewhat expected this. Just before, when she'd been looking for Sweetie Belle in town, she'd come across Applejack who was bringing some carts from the farm. The farm pony had asked her if she'd seen Twilight, which she hadn't since the train station. After a moment, she'd told her to try and talk to her if she did see her, as the unicorn appeared to be very apprehensive.

Just before, she'd come by the farm and heavily hinted to Applejack that it would probably be a good idea for her to leave with her family, so that she could look after them. This confused Rarity, as she had assumed that at least Big Mac would be staying to fight.

"That's what ah told her," she'd replied. "Granny Smith's headin' out ta look after Apple Bloom, but me an' Big Mac are stayin' ta fight fer what we earned and fer what we have. Sure as hay don't have any plans on hoofin' it now."

"I thought as much," Rarity had nodded. "And what was her response to that?"

"Well, she kept talkin' about me leavin' with 'em fer a bit an' when ah made it clear we weren't goin' nowhere, she kinda stormed off 'fore ah could say anythin'." She'd leaned in conspiratorially. "Ah think that, with all that's happenin', it's startin' ta get ta her. She's scared-a losin' us like she lost her brother."

"I can certainly see why," she'd agreed. "You have my word, Applejack, that I shall endeavour to put her fears to rest, if that is the case."

"Ah was hopin' that ya might," she'd admitted. "Just be careful, ah think she's really on edge right now."

"Fear not, I know exactly how it is to have one's nerves frayed. Shut up," she'd added for the look that Applejack had given her.

It looked like her services were about to be called upon.

"What's on your mind, darling?" she asked gently. "You can tell me. This ghastly affair is somewhat getting to all of us, I should think."

"Thanks for understanding." She hesitated a moment. "Well… I was just wondering… do really think we stand much of a chance?"

"Against the changelings you mean?"

"Yes." She looked out at Canterlot. "They've already taken Canterlot and beaten both princesses. They outnumber us by far, they have better training… I know we've beaten the odds before, but I don't really know if we can this time."

Rarity nodded. The thought had crossed her mind, as no doubt it had with the others. It was difficult to remain steadfast against such a tide.

"You understand then?" She looked almost desperate. "Can we really stand up to them? Do we have a chance?"

In any other circumstances, Rarity would have given in to her melodramatic instincts and started to panic too. But not now. Her friend needed strength and she would rather use those instincts to give it, since she'd already done so much and suffered so much.

"Twilight, I know it must be hard for you. You've lost your brother, your home, your teacher to these vile monsters. But never fear!" she exclaimed, placing a foreleg around her. "We must remain strong against them, firm no matter what they may throw at us. It is as you said, if we do not, who will?"

Twilight glanced unsurely at her. "I… guess you're right."

"I know it must be trying, but we must remain strong and stand together! If we do not, many more shall fall and all of the land shall succumb to the darkness! We brave few must hold the line here, so that they will know for generations to come that we were the ones who stood against the gaping maw and said 'no! Not here!' For the love of Ponyville, Equestria and all ponies everywhere, WE CAN FIGHT!"

Silence hung in the air for a long while afterwards until Twilight finally said, "Very… inspiring."

"I hoped so," replied Rarity. "Still, if it's comfort you need, perhaps you should go and see Dusk. I have a feeling he'd be more than happy to oblige."

She brightened at this. "You know, that's not such a bad idea. I'll go and do that right now."

"I thought you might," she tittered. "I shall not keep you a moment longer then."

"Thank you, Rarity," she said while she was already leaving, barely looking back.

Rarity took a moment to register the suddenness with which she'd just left. Somepony's eager, she thought.


This was one of those times that Dusk was glad he didn't live too central to Ponyville. Being here, on the outskirts meant it was quieter. If the town did get busier for any reason, he'd barely be able to hear it if he wanted to blank it out. It would be just be him and the surrounding walls of the place he called home.

He tried to apply it now, forget that there was a large army of changelings coming here with the intent of conquest and battle, that he was just in his home entertaining a friend on a normal day in Ponyville. But with all the hustle and bustle going on outside, there was only so much that these walls could cover up.

There was a battle coming, no matter how much he tried to ignore it… how much he wanted to. The evidence he could see out of his window was enough to confirm that fact.

"Kind of weird, isn't it?" Spike said from his sofa. "Most of the other kids in town are all being evacuated out with their parents except me."

Dusk smiled and turned to him from the window. "Only because Twilight and I know that you wouldn't leave even if we dragged you out."

"Yeah, I know that," he laughed. "I must be the only kid who's allowed to stay here to fight with his parents."

He blushed a little at that implication. "I thought you only liked to put up with things like that."

"Well, I figured I might as well get used to it a little more, since you're clearly not showing any signs of stopping. At all," he added with a tone of annoyance.

"Now, Spike, is that any tone for you to take with your father?" teased Dusk.

Spike furiously shook his head. "Okay, nope! I take it back! You are not my dad!"

"Son, why would you say such a hurtful thing?"

"By Celestia, please stop!"

"Alright, alright, I've had my fun," chuckled Dusk. "You are still my bro though, right?"

"You know it. Just... eugh, don't ever do that again." He shuddered and frowned. "Sorry, what were we talking about?"

"I think we'd best move on," noted Dusk with a slight smirk.

Spike laughed. "How you feeling about this? The fight, I mean."

"As I usually do about violence like this, which is to say regret and fear coupled with a necessary sense of duty," answered Dusk. "You?"

"Yeah, pretty much the same," he said. "Still, that's the duty we library assistants have to go with, huh. Whether rain or shine or changeling invasion…"

"That's post ponies, Spike."

"Close enough."

"It's not even remotely close."

"Yeah, it is! They both have to sort out stuff, put them somewhere and they can be books."

"A fair point." His laughed dissolved into a sigh. "Do you wonder, Spike, if we could have tried to make peace with the changelings? Avoided all of this somewhere along the line?"

"I dunno, maybe," shrugged Spike. "Not much we can do about it now though, is it? Can't exactly go back in time and warn the others about what's coming, can we?"

"Not anymore, no," he agreed. "I suppose it's Past Dusk and Spike's problem now, even if the present versions have their own problems to worry about."

"Twilight too," added Spike.

Dusk nodded. "Twilight too, yes."

"At least the three of us are still together." He lightly punched his leg. "Legendary librarians, right?"

"That is something to be thankful for," came the voice of Twilight, stepping into his home in all her transcendent beauty.

Spike waved. "Hey Twi, we were just talking about you."

"That's nice, Spike," she replied, barely glancing at him while she gazed at Dusk. "Would you run along, please? I want to talk to my coltfriend for a bit."

"Really, now?" he asked. "You sure you don't want me to stay? I mean, losing Shining has to be pretty rough."

"I'm fine, Spike," she insisted. "At least I will be, after a few minutes with the pony I love."

"Even so, he's your brother and a really nice guy," he went on. "Is there anything I can do? Get a book you like or your favourite drink, some of my nachos?"

"I'll be fine, thanks." He could hear a strain in her voice there.

"Well, maybe you'd like to go over some plans for the battle the three of us could do," he suggested. "Scheduling and organising always makes you feel better."

"Really, Spike, I'm fine, I don't need to do any of that."

"You don't even wanna write one little schedule. Are you sure you-?

"Spike, get out!" she suddenly snapped.

He raised his claws. "Okay, okay, sheesh. I guess I'll go and see Rarity then."

With a hard look at Twilight, the baby dragon stormed out. She returned it until he left and shifted back to a loving expression so quickly it was rather unnerving.

"Twilight, are you… are you feeling alright?" he asked. "You've never snapped at him like that before."

"I just wanted some time alone with my dearest Dusk," she purred. "Is that too much to ask?"

Looking into her eyes, Dusk found himself agreeing instantly. "I… I suppose not."

"I knew you would see it my way." She kissed him gently, curling up next to him. "I love it when we spend time together. I always feel so content when I'm with you… so peaceful."

"As do I," murmured Dusk, holding her close. "I just wish it could always be as peaceful."

"Me too," she sighed. "Dusk, can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"Let's say we had a chance to find somewhere, a place of our own. A wonderful place, that was always peaceful and we could just be together, would you take it?" She gazed up at him. "Would you come with me to find it?"

Dusk smiled. "I wouldn't even need to think about it."

She beamed in response. "Then let's go. Right now, get away from here and find that place together."

"What?" he exclaimed. "We can't leave now! The battle, they need us!"

"There are still ponies evacuating, we can leave with them. Nopony would stop us." Her eyes locked on his. "You hate fighting, don't you? Don't you want to get away from it?"

"I… I do, yes," he replied. "But we can't… we just…"

"Come on, Dusk, you've seen it too." Her wonderful violet eyes gazed back into his. "We try to make a peaceful life here but the fighting, the violence, it always comes back, doesn't it? Comes back to drive us apart, to put our lives in danger."

"Yes… yes it does," he nodded.

"It would be better if we just left, wouldn't it?" she went on. "Forget about all of this. We can start a new life somewhere, you and me, together. Somewhere nopony will ever want to hurt us again, where we can just be with each other forever. Doesn't that sound wonderful?"

"It… it does." She was right, of course she was. She had to be. "And… the others?"

"If they want to come, let them, but if not, we can't let them stand in our way," she cooed. "They'd try to stop us from being happy. You wouldn't let them do that, would you?"

"No, never…" That scratching feeling in his mind increased a little, screwing up his eyes when he felt it. "I… I…"

"Something wrong, dear?" she whispered.

"I don't know…" he grunted. "Something isn't… I'm still not sure about this."

"Believe me, Dusk," she whispered sensuously, her beautiful eyes shining, "when I'm done, you'll see things my way. I know you will."

Author's Note:

Seeds of deception have been sown. Whether or not they will grow we shall see next time.

Just so you all know, I’m off to uni this week and with all the fresher’s stuff and settling in, my writing will most likely be hampered, just so you know in advance.