• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 4,259 Views, 458 Comments

The Wanderer of the North - Alaxsxaq



Before Nightmare Moon, before Discord, and before the Crown, there was a white pony. An epic work retelling the life of Celestia.

  • ...
6
 458
 4,259

Chapters Next
1. The Exilarch: Part 1. A Quaint Northern Homestead

1. The Exilarch: Part 1. A Quaint Northern Homestead

Many stained glass windows adorned the halls of Canterlot Castle, each depicting mighty and ancient events in the Kingdom's long history. In recent years, however, several more were commissioned, honoring the efforts of a band of very special ponies. To the Ruler of Day, Princess Celestia, those six seemed to have been sent to fulfill a promise; a promise made long ago.

Advancing down the giant corridor, the solar mare traveled further and further into the past. At the far end were placed the oldest windows of all. They were warped and uneven, a relic of the days before glass making had been perfected. These particular ones existed perhaps a millennium or two before even the white alicorn took up residence within the castle. As impossible as it seemed to most, Celestia had not witnessed ten-thousand years pass by.

She was mortal, and had not always roamed the Earth.

Deeper and deeper within the Castle, the Princess came to a small chamber very much hidden from most ponies; not because of secrecy, but rather most had no knowledge of it or the desire to go there. Inside was a small altar, beautifully gilded and crafted with fanciful sculptures of all sorts of creatures. Upon the altar were fragrant candles and bundles of incense.

Admiring the scent, Celestia approached a small font of water, and removed the golden slippers from her hooves. Washing her feet, the alicorn then took off the rest of her regalia. Normally unseen under her golden collar, Celestia wore a finely crafted silver necklace bearing a strange symbol. Bowing before the altar, the Ruler of Equestria humbled herself for the sake of some unseen thing. Uttering a prayer in a tongue long forgotten, Celestia shed a few tears before rising up a few minutes later.

Redressing herself with the regalia, the Princess left the chamber, and closed its wooden doors quietly. Celestia mentioned this ritual very seldom and only then to close confidants. One such pony would arrive very soon, by her reckoning. Today was very special.

The Princess had finished all of the day's chores. To many, the burden of running a great kingdom for a thousand years was a duty reserved for her kind. To them, no challenge could try the divine. And while true, Celestia would not dare place herself in that camp.

But she had learned to efficiently and effectively manage her country with the same diligence for all these years. Though appearing as a stoic and stern, but kind and benevolent figure, deep down Celestia treasured her scant free time by innocent pranks and games. Her sister and niece were well aware of this side of the alabaster mare. And one of her favorite things to do was tell stories.

Once again in the main hall of the Castle, Princess Celestia observed the day guard giving their posts to the night watch. Among those leaving was a small light blue filly, her mane a deep purple. The little pony was not bearing a cutie mark, and trotted next to a much larger stallion.

Brazen Shield, a senior officer of the Royal Guard, was being accompanied by his young daughter. Admiring the impeccable polish of his golden armor, Celestia approached the stallion, smiling in her quiet, motherly fashion.

"Lieutenant Shield, thank you for your services today. Have a safe trip home."

"Of course, Majesty. It's my pleasure," he gave a slight bow, inciting his daughter to do the same.

Shifting her gaze to the filly, Celestia leaned in closer, "And who is this little one?"

The tiny pony smiled with exuberant energy. "My name's Twinkling Star! Daddy showed me all sorts of things today! But he never said you'd be so...big!" the little filly said, standing in the kind of awe and wonder that only a child could experience.

Celestia laughed to herself, finding the pony just simply adorable, "I hope to see you around here real soon, My Little Pony."

"Okee dokee! This was sooo much fun!" she sprung onto the back of her father, "You're the best daddy ever!"

Brazen Shield was heart-warmed at this, and continued on, "Come on, Twinkle. How about we stop and get some ice cream?" As Celestia went her own way, the distant cheering of that filly resonated in the hall.

But a feeling of sadness, however small, still caught the alicorn. Then a happy thought came: she had the greatest father in the world. A muted grin curled upon her face.

Walking up the staircase of her personal tower, Celestia rose up the levels until she reached the very top. Acknowledging the saluting guards standing beside her door, the Princess then conjured her magic to open the only thing separating her from what awaited inside.

Within this "penthouse" was a very eager-looking winged unicorn, albeit much smaller and younger than her. Overcome with joy, Celestia rushed in and embraced her most faithful student. Towering over this lavender pony, Celestia took off her regalia for the second time and placed them a shelf.

Celestia then noticed a hefty tome beside her student, as of yet unfilled. Smiling in approval, the Princess unfurled her wing and placed it on Twilight Sparkle.

"I see you've come prepared."

"I want to write down every word, so future generations will know the real Princess Celestia."

Celestia had invited her dear student to a slumber party of sorts, in order to tell a story never before revealed. Looking at a sword hanging on the wall, the Princess sighed.

"You asked me so many questions that night, but you have so many more. A pony of your curiosity is not a common thing," looking back at Twilight, Celestia rested on a large cushion. Using her magic to tend the fire roaring beside her, she continued, "What have you been able to find about the Fall of Equestria, or its first Kings?"

"Not much. A few passing mentions in scattered books. It says most of the history has been lost, and nopony really knows what it was like. Why is that?"

"It's very complicated," placing the fire poker back on the rack and closing the fence, Celestia opened the tome and dipped the quill in ink for Twilight, "Then let's start there."

Wide-eyed, Twilight awaited the first word to come from Celestia's mouth.

"The Dark Ages. A series of weak kings and devastating wars sapped Equestria of her resources, and eventually our enemies overran us. There was once a city that served as the capital, wrought in marble and thought impenetrable for many hundreds of years."

"Where is this city?" Twilight asked, mentally envisioning a map of Equestria.

"Gone. It was leveled to the ground. Not since its destruction has a pony inhabited its ruins. It was located in the north, and only a few stones remain of its splendor. The northern half of Equestria nowadays is a steadily growing place. During the Fall, all ponies living there were wiped out or driven southwards."

"What became of the southern part?"

"At first, there was hope. King Vasílion, named in Equestrian ‘Thunderhoof the Valiant’, was a strong warrior. It was said every time he struck the ground, it would shake and drive his enemies back to whence they came. His slaying served only to instill vengeance in his people. Great nobles convened in the fortress of Canterlot, and elected a new King. They defeated the invaders...but the damage had been done."

"But, with victory and a new king, how could Equestria fall?" already a full page had been covered in ink.

"The Bloodline of the Alicorns was broken, and many did not see the new ruler as legitimate. A simple look at history will tell us what happens next. Without strong central power, local landlords carved out their own realms. Bloody wars were fought to preserve the Kingdom, but ultimately they failed. Splintered and drained, Equestria was reduced to warring princedoms. The great expanses of the Western March were abandoned. Knowledge of those lands west of the mountains was lost, and the Buffalo came to roam by the hundreds of thousands.

"The East held the greatest concentration of cities and ponies, as it does today. As time wore on, more died in wars, plagues, and famines. The frontier of civilization kept eroding, and the wilderness overtook empty farms and towns." Celestia gave Twilight a sly smile, "But I'm sure you want to hear the part where I come in."

Nodding with stars in her eyes, Twilight dipped her quill once more, "I can see it now; the epic tale of a courageous Princess uniting Equestria under her royal banner! Ponies will be flocking to bookstores to read it!"

The Princess chuckled, feeling quite flattered, "That would be a highly romanticized version of the story. The Reunification was a lengthy and arduous process."

"I remember from history class that only from Year One is anything conclusive. Everything that happened before that must be inferred from fragments, foreign sources, and legends."

"What has come to be called 'The War of the Heavens' was certainly devastating. Over a thousand years ago, Equestria was once again on the brink of destruction. But many, many millennia passed before that battle," Celestia glanced at the floor, and fought the weight of all her regret. Snapping back into the present, the solar diarch wore a dignified expression.

"Twilight, I've prefaced long enough. Though, I'm rather curious: where do you think I came from?"

"Um...well...," The lavender winged unicorn fumbled with her words, caught off guard. "I suppose you were born a very long time ago," Celestia gave her student a cold stare, "Not that long ago! You and Princess Luna grew up in the Castle, daughters of our last ruler. You've been groomed to rule and have for an unknown amount time."

"Interesting,” the Princess gave a brief pause, “But that is wrong."

Twilight looked embarrassed, as if she had failed a test of the most personal importance to a dear friend.

Celestia smiled at her student, "That's why we're here; to learn. You know I am an alicorn, yes?"

The purple pony wasn't quite sure how to respond. The answer seemed obvious, but the intellectual couldn't help but overthink the question, "Correct?"

"We aren't a numerous race. We aren't common. In fact, as you know, we are thought divine or mythical. This was true when I was young. I wasn't born in a castle or to anypony of fame or fortune. I was born without a glimmer of promise as many would see it. My destiny should have been anonymity and isolation, just like all other alicorns. In the days of my youth, alicorns were hunted by all sorts of creatures working for the Fallen One. Most were slaughtered during the end of the Kingdom, but some escaped to the wilds of the North.

"There I was born. A quiet winter day, snow upon the ground. Within a small hovel crafted out of logs and thatch. But I was not called Celestia. This name came to be mine much later."

"What is your birth name, Princess?"

"The language of Alícor was our precious reminder of our heritage. When spring came, my parents ritually bathed me in a flowing stream. They then bestowed upon me the name...Nikóleva."

Twilight could not help but be fascinated by this exotic name, "What does it mean?"

Celestia, or the mare now called Celestia, blushed and hesitated, "Um...it translates as 'snowy coat'."

A benign smile curled on Twilight's face, "That's cute."

Clearing her throat, the Princess continued, "Yes thank you. I had two parents, as all ponies do. Something I have kept very secret is the fact that I am not a full-blooded alicorn," Celestia just saw the face Twilight made, one of utter disbelief, "My mother was actually a half-alicorn, her mother an earth pony. Many alicorns resent 'half-breeds', claiming they dilute our race. It never troubled me as a filly, mostly because we saw very few others. No, I spent most of my time helping my parents on our farm. It was the only source of food, and the short summers had us exhausting ourselves to meet our needs.

"I assume they decided to have another foal, and when I was just four years old, Luna was born. She was healthy and lively, as if...her weakness was finally defeated," a few tears dripped from Celestia's eyes.

The ache of empathy stabbing her heart, Twilight paused her writing and did everything to appear comforting. The Princess was like a second mother to her, and seeing such pain was almost too much to bear, "What do you mean?"

"Luna's birth was...complicated. Mother was always sickly and infirm. My father knew this well, and tried his best to ease her condition. But a second foal was too much for her. Luna came into this world perfect, but my mother...she gazed upon her daughter. I remember she smiled and stroked Luna's mane. She uttered a prayer, and kissed me. And then...," Celestia clenched her teeth, still hurting from this powerful memory, "Mother fell asleep, and never woke up. Father kissed her and held us close for what seemed like an eternity, silently weeping."

Twilight wiped her own eyes, sniffling a bit, "I'm so sorry, Princess."

It took the lavender pony’s voice to remind Celestia exactly where and when she was, "Forgive me Twilight. It embarrasses me to confess something that happened so long ago still..."

The purple mare gave a look that conveyed total condolence.

Calming down a bit, Celestia regained her composure, "Right, onward to the rest of the story. My father had to raise us both from then on. He was a strong and courageous stallion named...Maiëlindir. Luna's memories of him are blurry and distant. Not mine. I recall him well, and though it represents a tiny fraction of my life, my father resonates perhaps most vividly with me..."

"Why does Princess Luna not remember?"

"She was very young then."

*――――――――――S――――――――――*

A dreary, overcast sky signaled the imminent arrival of the Spring rains. A small babbling brook and the chirping of birds provided ambiance for such a still day. Here, in this secluded glade of a vast forest, a pony could become lost in the serene beauty of nature. So delicately ordained, it was the true splendor of the begotten world.

The snow had since melted, but the water it left behind was yet to dry up entirely. The marshy ground would bog down cartwheels and plows, delaying the sowing of the land. In the North, growing seasons were never very hot, or enduring. But the soil was rich, and one thing meager planters could depend on was plentiful rainfall.

He could feel the moisture in the air. Seconds later a light drizzle started. His strides were long and deliberate, signifying a purpose to his movement. Hitting the stones on the ground were old rusty shoes, in desperate need of replacement. He had bought them from a skilled farrier quite some time ago, but even a finely crafted shoe could become worn out. The wet ground only exacerbated their poor condition.

Draped in a long cloak, strategically worn to conceal his back, the old stallion pressed on. Normally he wore his hood, but he delighted in the feel of raindrops landing upon his dark charcoal mane. The life he led offered few pleasures, so he found scant joys in little things. But the rain could not compare to his most beloved things in the world.

Looking on to a small hill situated in the heart of the clearing, he recognized the small shack built upon its summit. Constructed to withstand the elements, its humble design belied the soundness of its make. Near this house, smaller buildings dotted the surrounding land; a barn, a forge, and a storehouse. A low fence surrounded the hill, useful for containing the cattle. Though simple, it was all built by his own hooves. And he recognized the hard work as its own reward.

But more importantly, he spotted something else. Hopping through a newly plowed stretch of land, a small white filly was planting seeds. Her pristine alabaster coat simultaneously clashed and complimented his own midnight blue fur. Bearing a full head of pink hair, the little pony looked up and smiled in as pure a joy that a child could feel. Dropping her sack of wheat grain, she ran full force towards the tall stallion.

Smiling to match her, the stallion braced himself for impact. Seconds later, the filly jumped straight into his embrace, thrusting him to the ground.

"Papa!" She exclaimed, hugging her dear father tightly.

"Oh how I missed you!" He noticed her slightly larger frame. "My, are you growing! One day you might even be as big as me!" He kissed her gently, and gestured for the filly to jump off of him.

After standing back up, the stallion noticed another like aged pony pulling a plow. Approaching his friend, the blue pony called out happily, "I see she has you working hard for your keep!"

"This one is a little serf-driver!" The other stallion replied, his coat a muted orange color, "What have you brought this time? It has been nearly a month."

Lightly chuckling, the cloaked pony continued to the entrance of the hovel. "I've gone quite far. I found some very special items."

Unlatching the old, rickety door, the old stallion's daughter scurried under his feet. Hopping up onto a wicker chair, she looked at her father starry eyed in anticipation.

"What did you bring? Where did you go? What was it like? Did you meet any―"

"Nikóleva!" The stallion commanded, "Patience. Let me become settled."

The orange pony stood at the threshold. "The foal has been fed today. She should be sleeping now."

"Yes thank you, my friend." The farmer returned to his work, shutting the door.

Magically levitating his saddlebag, the blue stallion placed it on the table, careful not to spill its contents. Then he took off his cloak and hung it on a rack. Finally able to stretch, he unfurled his long feathery wings. Flapping them a few times, he folded them back up again and stood at his table.

Untying one of the pockets, the stallion pulled out a small pouch. Placing it on the table, he opened it just enough for his daughter to catch a peek.

Inside was a finely ground white powder that sparkled like stars. "What is it?"

"Something from the deep south called...sugar. It is something you cook with, and it is very sweet, like honey."

The filly was a great lover of honey, and took great pains to procure it. "May I have some?"

Laughing kindly, the stallion patted his daughter on the head. "Oh no. We will only use it for special occasions."

"May we use it in a special springtime cake?" The father raised an eyebrow. "I...I milked the cows and set aside some grain! Oh please may we bake a cake??"

"Well...I suppose." The raucous cheers of the filly were immediately reprimanded, "Shush! Your sister is asleep! If you finish all of your chores, we shall bake the cake tomorrow."

A jubilant smile overtook her face. The stallion reached into the bag again and produced a small necklace.

It was delicately crafted, evidenced by the meticulous complexity of the chain. The pendant it bore was of unsurpassed quality, inlaid with silver and a few precious stones. The symbol it had been made into was a simple "X", each end spreading perpendicularly in two directions, forming a sort of square shape. He carefully undid the clasps of the chain, and placed it around her neck. Fixing the two ends together with his magic, he looked down at his daughter.

"I hope you like it."

Always cherishing a gift from her dear father, the young pony admired the beauty of the object. "I do, Papa. What is this?" She turned her vision upwards at the imposing yet benign figure of the stallion, "Will it protect me?"

"No. No such object can protect you. But it will always remind you who does."

Having a newly found peace of mind, the white filly peered over the edge of the bag. Inside she spotted a paper wrapper. Taking it out, she opened the package to find strange spear tip-shaped leaves. "What are these?"

"Something Father can only get during his long trips. And something he would very much like to remain undisturbed." He closed the paper and put the wrapper back in the bag. He then started removing other miscellany from the saddlebag to be placed on shelves and in cabinets. He looked at his daughter and wore a stern face. "Return to sowing the fields, Nikóleva. I will be out there shortly, after I have checked on your sister."

"Yes, Papa." The filly obediently said, rushing off to complete her task.

While she exited the home, the stallion gently opened another door, this one leading to a small room. Inside was a filly-sized bed, a few tables and a wooden crib. Wrapped in soft linens, surrounded by whatever toys the pony could find, was a little foal. She was as blue as her father, but her mane was periwinkle. Sleeping soundly with a smile on her face, the foal squirmed as she dreamed.

To the stallion, this baby was the most precious thing in the world. He thought about caressing his younger daughter, but did not wish to disturb her. The foal's breaths were short and sweet, showing clear signs of a very young life just brought into this world.

A single tear ran down his cheek. "Oh Taberanyn, if only She could have seen you like this..."

Deciding it was time to get to work, the stallion quietly left the room, and made his way outside. He had much to do, and as long as he was present, no harm would befall his quaint little homestead.

----------

By now the finals rays of sunshine had ceased to scatter above the horizon. The Moon in all its vibrant glory began crawling up the sky, moved by they say a group of characters far to the South. Peering out of her simple glass window, the tiny white filly spotted stars and other faint celestial bodies placed in the great dome of creation before it began turning.

Her father noticed the beautiful scene that caught his daughter's eye. He leaned in closer on her bed, sharing the window. So mesmerized by such natural gems the filly was. Maiëlindir unfurled a wing and draped it over her, coddling his dear child.

"They're so pretty, Papa," The young alicorn said, her gaze never leaving the pane.

"During my travels, I heard a story that they once made pictures. Ponies could look up and tell where they were by them."

"Will those pictures ever come back?" She looked to her father, a slight sadness in her eyes.

Smiling as only a father could, the blue stallion magically laid her on the bed and placed a simple sack cloth over the pony.

"If you make sure to pray and be a good filly, maybe your wish will be granted."

"You could do it! You can do anything!" Her unfounded admiration stuck a small pain in his heart.

"I'm afraid I can't." A humble stallion, modesty came to him all too easily.

"Well...maybe you'd learn how...on one of your journeys. I wish I could go...just once, Papa." The filly’s eyelids were becoming heavier, and she started yawning.

"You always ask me, and what do I tell you every time, Nikóleva?"

"That it's too dangerous and I'm too young..." She groaned, as if this statement was uttered an innumerable amount of times.

"The World is not a safe place. But if you keep working hard, and listening to me, you'll someday become big and strong. And then I shall take you and your sister on a trip. But only then."

"Yes, Father...," The little filly started to tear up, denied such a coveted privilege.

"Please understand; I don't want anything to happen to you." She did understand, but it didn't make it any less disappointing. "How about this: tomorrow, if we all finish our chores for the day, we'll go to the lake. How does that sound?"

Her face immediately lit up. "Alright!"

He gave a soft laugh. "Good. Now rest up. We have much work to do. Good night, Nikóleva. I love you very much." The stallion gave the filly a sweet kiss on her forehead. She returned the gesture.

"I love you too, Papa."

Laying her head down on the pillow, the filly nodded off to sleep, hoof upon her new necklace. Maiëlindir took a moment to check on his newborn foal, who was silently curled up in slumber. Satisfied that all was well, he blew out his lamp and exited the room, being very quiet the whole way.

The main room of the small hovel was illuminated by a roaring fire, providing ample warmth on this still rather chilly night. Tending the fire was that orange stallion, who calmly sat on a wicker couch.

The blue pony made his way to the other side of the seat, but not before taking some important items from his shelf. "You know, the nobles sit on cushioned chairs, and have brilliant feasts of only the finest oats and hay."

"Were you so fortunate as to be invited to such a banquet?" The other stallion said, a bit more aged than his companion.

"I was in fact. And the particularly charitable Baron gave me these as a parting gift." Maiëlindir produced that paper bundle from earlier, and levitated two briarwood pipes in order to pack them, "Finest leaves plucked last season, I'm told."

"At least there's something to enjoy out here," The orange one said, piped clenched in his teeth, "You know, all month I was thinking of the best way to chastise you for leaving so soon."

"As you should. Many nights I actually felt I should have brought them along," The blue stallion gave a weak chuckle, "I can't wait until they're old enough to come along."

"And who's to say they aren't?" The orange pony replied, lighting his pipe with a small wooden dowel.

Clearly annoyed, Maiëlindir puffed a cloud of smoke. "We've had this discussion before. Not until―"

The other stallion interrupted, though careful to keep his voice down. "That argument may have had merit a few years ago, but last winter Nikóleva celebrated her fifth year. It's time you taught her the ways of our kind."

"Out of the question." The blue alicorn authoritatively declared.

"How old were you when yourfather gave you a sword and brought you on a raid?"

"....Four. Four years."

"That's right. Before you became a stallion, you had claimed nigh twenty diamond dogs. I can stay behind here, but they need to learn how to defend themselves."

"That's not the life I want for them." Maiëlindir gazed deep into the fire, its light showing the face of a pony still in his prime, yet definitely weary of the world. "All the blood I've spilled...the lives I've taken. It would only darken their days."

The orange pony sighed, and looked at his friend with sincerity, "We all have regrets. But the longer you keep the truth from them, the harder it shall be when the inevitable happens. Our kind was not meant to live in peace. Our lives are to be as hard and as unforgiving as can be. It is our punishment. You do not seek to go against Lórian's Will, do you?"

Maiëlindir removed his pipe, wishing to speak unencumbered, "Lórian's Will is not to punish us. I will not pay for the sins of my forebearers. Besides, the Diamond Dogs are no longer a great threat. We shall remain safe here."

"We ousted the tribe nearly a hundred years ago. They've no doubt returned, and in greater numbers. Only our vigilance has prevented their scouts from reporting. It's but a matter of time, though."

The midnight blue pony's eyes became glossy, seen quite clearly in the fire, "You're probably right. I love my daughters, but...I'm scared they were born too soon. Perhaps I could have waited another hundred years. Maybe only fifty."

"The time's irrelevant. I miss Her just as much as you do, but I'm not sure how well She was, or how much longer you could have waited. Your bloodline needed to be secured, even if it cost somepony very precious."

"I hope―no, I know Nikóleva and Taberanyn will be worth it, regardless of what my 'bloodline' amounts to."

"The Heir of Solárindil may be reduced to a flickering cinder, but I swore to your father to keep it burning; delay the final dying of our race as long as I can. And make no mistake, Maiëlindir, I will give my life for your daughters."

The blue alicorn smiled at his friend and puff another cloud, "Thank you, Henarion."

"But I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to teach them."

"You're absolutely right. I told Nikóleva we'd go to the lake after work tomorrow. I shall begin there."

"Excellent! She will make you proud." The stallion known as Henarion yawned and got up off the couch. His pipe was lightly packed, in an effort to conserve as many leaves as possible, and was therefore finished. The old stallion then made a slight limp to another door in the hovel.

"Good night, Maiëlindir. Do not stay up too much later."

"I shall retire soon enough. Get some rest, my friend."

The orange alicorn nodded and opened the door, disappearing into the darkness.

Maiëlindir sat and stared at the fire a while, contemplating his decisions. Though he had right to a very lavish claim, the alicorn didn't want it. Even if he did, he was certain he could not have it. No; for him his whole world was this quaint homestead. For much of his life, he wandered Equestria. Known by many names to many different peoples, the unassuming "unicorn" scarcely ever uttered a word, but became legendary for his selfless effort to help ponies and other creatures in need.

But this life held many terrors, and bloodshed was commonplace. His two young daughters didn't need this. Safety was his only concern, and it pained him to have to travel far away for necessary supplies. But it was all for them. His early years were harsh and cruel. Theirs should not be.

Alicorns, however few remained, all argued if they are cursed by Lórian, or if God has merely forsaken them. Maiëlindir wasn't much worried about this. But Henarion was right: sooner or later misfortune would hit...yet again. And though he could not prevent suffering in his daughters, to his last breath he would help alleviate their burdens.

Because there are things foals should never have to experience, and Maiëlindir knew this all too well.

Chapters Next