• Published 10th Aug 2013
  • 1,374 Views, 7 Comments

Tale of Philomena - Futile Task



The story of one little mare, and how she changed the life of Equestria's greatest ruler.

  • ...
2
 7
 1,374

The Sun Meets The Phoenix

I remember the day I first met my teacher, it was the day my mom told me she would no longer be able to take care of me, and sent the letter to her old teacher, fearing that she would soon be leaving this world. To this day I cannot forget the how those kind strawberry eyes looked upon my mother, such motherly concern and affection even when she knew there was nothing she could do. I will never forget that day, for it was the day my life changed for the better, and the day I met the mare I would one day call love.

Celestia flew along the road as she headed over to her former student and step daughter Sunset Shimmer’s house, having recently received a letter from her, one that had made her drop everything and make haste to her former student’s old home.

Dear Princess Celestia

I beg pardon for not writing sooner, but my little bundle of joy has been keeping me rather busy of late, and is in fact the reason I am writing to you now…well, that and another reason.

I…I don’t know how to say this but…I am dying Celestia, and before you drop this letter there is nothing you can do I…I already checked. This sickness is rare, and beyond your power to heal, so I have a favor I must ask of thee. I need you to come and collect my daughter, I know it’s not a normal request but I trust no one but you for this task, you were a mother to me when you took me in as your student after I had lost my parents, and I can see no better pony to watch over my child.

There are things I need to tell you about her, but I can explain all that when you get here, and she is so eager to meet you. I have told her so much about you; she practically views you as a relative already, which is another reason why I know you’ll do good raising her.

Faithfully yours
Sunset Shimmer

She had set off as soon as she had finished, not wanting to believe that it was beyond her power to save her student. She finally landed outside and knocked, going inside as soon as Sunset opened the door. However the moment she saw her students condition her face fell, it was then she realized Sunset had told her the truth, for she had Solar Sickness. Her skin was cracked in places, the opened skin looking burned near the cracks, almost as though it were slowly burning away.

“Celestia, it is good to see you,” said Sunset, staying in the shadow of the doorway to keep out of reach of the sun.

“Sunset…I…”

“Please, I know what you are going to say, but such need not be said, I have come to grips with my fate, all we can do now is enjoy the time we have left. Now come in, we have a lot to talk about.”

Celestia nodded, walking inside and walking over to the couch as Sunset closed the door. The living room was dark, all the windows closed and the curtains pulled. “How…how bad is it?” asked Celestia, sitting down and turning toward her student.

“It’s in its final stages, my body already can’t stand indirect sunlight…it’s only a matter of when now.”

“And…and the foal?”

Sunset smiled sadly, “she has it to, but luckily it isn’t the same as mine, it’s not as aggressive as the strain I was born with, so it won’t get worse when she gets older. But that’s not the reason I asked you over, I actually wanted to show you her talent.”

Sunset got up, walking over to another room and opening a side door, poking her head in. Celestia heard her speak for a moment, and then jumped when she heard a loud squeal and a red ball of fur came flying out and tackled her.

“Oh my gosh it’s you! Your actually here I thought mom was just saying she knew you but your actually here!”

Celestia laughed as the filly was pulled off her by Sunset, who started to scold her daughter for her behavior.

“Philomena that is no way to treat a princess, especially the princess of the entire nation, show some res…”

“Mom! I thought you said she liked it when ponies don’t treat her like a princess, and how am I supposed to live with her if I can’t act like myself?”

This brought Celestia crashing back to reality, causing her to remember the reason Sunset had brought her here. “You…you know why I am here?”

The filly nodded, her smile falling as she hugged her mother. “Yeah…mommies sick, and she won’t be able to take care of me anymore…”

Celestia had to fight every urge to just breakdown and cry in that moment, instead walking over and draping a comforting wing over the pair. “I am sorry you have to go through this child, I wish there was something I could do for both of you.”

The filly hugged her as well, but soon the hug was broken, Sunset smiling down at her daughter. “Honey why don’t you show the princess that trick that you showed me, you know the one you did yesterday

“Ok!” said Philomena excitedly, opening up her wings and then closing her eyes. At first nothing happened, but then Celestia watched as the fillies wings began to glow, and then gasped when she conjured up a small ball of flame in between her wings. Celestia turned toward Sunset, double checking that it wasn’t her that was doing the trick, and then asked her question.

“She…she can use magic?”

“Yes, I was going to tell you earlier, but I was busy helping her as she explored her talent…though it did hurt me a bit due to what she is most gifted with.”

“What do you mean?”

Sunset turned to Philomena, walking over and getting her to put the flame out. “Honey, could you go outside with Celestia and show her that other trick.”

“You’re not going to watch are you,” Philomena asked with concern, turning to her mother.

“No honey I won’t, you don’t have to worry, now go.”

Philomena nodded, walking over to Celestia and then heading outside. “Um, you might want to stand back, this gets kind of dangerous.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing I can't handle, I am the mare that controls the sun after all.”

Philomena nodded, and then lifted up her wings, looking directly at the sun.

“Philomena I wouldn’t recommend…”

“It’s ok,” she said, her wings beginning to glow as she stretched out her magic. “One of the benefits of Solar Sickness is you can’t go blind from looking at the sun, mom said it had something to do with how are body changes to react to the sun.”

Celestia was about to speak when she spotted something, and turned back toward the sun, watching in awe as a flame from the sun snaked its way down to them. She watched as the fill brought it right to her, letting it form into a sphere as she held it-between her wings. The flame finally reached a stage where it looked like miniature sun, slowly turning around in-between her wings as she held it there, smiling up at Celestia with a proud look on her face.

“M…may I?” asked Celestia, motioning to the flame with her wing.

“Sure!” said Philomena, handing off the flame to her. Celestia took the flame in her magic, brining it close to examine it. After she was sure it was true solar fire, she passed it back to Philomena, “that is very impressive dear, your mother must be proud.”

“She is, um…princess?”

“What is it dear?”

Philomena seemed to hesitate for a moment, lowering her head as she spoke. “Why does the sunlight hurt us like this, isn’t the sun supposed to help us?”

Celestia looked down at the small filly, watching her gaze confusedly from her to the solar flame held between her wings. “I honestly don’t know Philomena…the Solar Sickness has always been a mystery to all who have tried to understand it, even I am unable to cure ponies of this ailment.”

Philomena nodded, and then looked back up at her with a questioning look. “Um…Celestia, do you think my mom can come live in the castle with me, I…I don’t want to leave her alone.”

Celestia looked down at her surprised for a moment, but then smiled as she bent down to nuzzle the little filly. “Of course she can, just let me talk to her about it first ok?”

Philomena nodded, and then started messing with the flam between her wings as Celestia walked back into the house, heading over to Sunset. “You have a very talented filly out there, you must be proud.”

“I am, she is the light of my life.”

Celestia nodded, and then started looking around the house. “Well I suggest you pack some things, we’ll want to leave soon…”

“Leave, Celestia I thought I made it clear, I am not going with her.”

Celestia turned and fixed her with a look. “Sunset I know that was you plan, but that filly needs her mother, and I can’t bear to leave you like this, not when I can help.”

“But Celestia there is nothing you can do; you cannot cure me of my ailment.”

“I may not be able to cure you, but I do have spells that can allow you to walk within the castle without fear of the sunlight, and I will be dammed if I see another descendant of Clover the Clever left motherless, do you understand?”

Sunset stared at her for a moment, and then shook her head, laughing as tears streamed down her face. “Just like old times, there’s no arguing with you is there?”

Sunset was then wrapped up in a hug, Celestia holding her close as she whispered softly to her. “It’s ok daughter, well make this work, I promise.”

After a long moment the finally parted, and then Celestia cast a quick spell, creating a bubble around Sunset to protect her from the sun. Then they stepped outside, Philomena running up to her mother and hugging her before Celestia called them to her side, teleporting them back to the palace and leaving their old home behind.

Author's Note:

First chapter in the prequel to Phoenix Lament, not really much to say about it really. As always I hope you guys enjoyed, and if you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop them on by, I love hearing from you guys.

Comments ( 7 )

You have my upward facing thumb!

I Have A Question Is Philomena Going To Grow Up From Young Filly To Adult Mare In The Next Chapter Or Another Chapter?

3022035
it will take a few chapters before she becomes an adult.

........Headcannon accepted


>Ecocat<

You have my vote of approval and liking.

Login or register to comment