• Published 22nd Feb 2012
  • 1,500 Views, 19 Comments

New Rules - lightningstorm

  • ...
7
 19
 1,500

*revised* Turning Tides

That night I had another dream, much like the first. I already had a bad feeling when a storm started up before I fell asleep, like a omen or something.

The dream was much worse than before, because it was in my own home. What happened, put into simplest terms was, I killed Angel.

The dream started with me outside for some reason. I had no recollection of why I was here or whenI got out here, but I was walking up the dirt road up to my house.

I felt a weird feeling, a feeling of excitement, like butterflies in my stomach. The feeling grew greater every step I took torwards my home.

I quickly reached my porch, and stepped onto my deck. Another feeling came, regret. Like I shouldn’t be here. But I continued.

I knocked on the door, but realized no one would be there to answer since I was the one knocking. I shook the knob but the door was locked. I didn’t like this so I kicked it down. My emotions seemed to amplify my powers, so this feeling of upset made kicking the door down as easy as ripping a peice of paper.

I walked straight into the living room and scanned my sorroundings, as though I was looking for something in particular.

The I noticed something touching my foot, and I looked down to see the little white form of angel bunny tapping my foot expectantly, probably wanting food.


The next thing that happen disturbed me more than anything in my life. I watched as he began puking all over the floor and everything else.

He was coughing for air and clenching his gut, trying to hold it in. He wobbled around a bit and eventually crumpled to the floor. Thats when I realized it wasn’t vomit.

It was his insides. His guts, intestines, whatever you want to call it. His insides were everywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I woke up startled, sweating a storm. I jumped out of bed instantly and quickly started down the stairs but came to a hault.

I know last time it wasn’t a dream, so what if this wasn’t either. What If I saw angel laying there when I arrived? What if I had killed him? I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I turned into my living room which was surely stained red, with a little bunny body in the middle. Sure enough, he lay in the middle of the room.

I ran over to his body and put all my thoughts into his returning to life. If I could do so many other things, surely this would be no exception. I pushed with my mind harder and harder, until something amazing happened. Horrible, but amazing.

A light shot out of Angel and it burst straight up, sending a wave of energy bursting outwwards, and flinging me into a bag of pet food. The impact made the pet food tip over and spill all over the ground.

I voice appeared in my head now "To open a whole in death, someone must fill it quickly."

I started shaking out of fright, this voice sounded so familiar. Luckily Twilight burst past my door at that exact moment, breaking my concentration and sending the light back inside of angel.

"Fluttershy!? Are you okay!?" She saw me sprawled on the floor and ran over, helping me up. "What happened?

"I tried to bring angel back, but a mean voice wouldn't let me." I said between sobs. At remembering angels death I started crying harder but Twilight gave me a soothing hug.

"Flutter, I've been studying. Even these powers DO have limits. We can't bring someone back from death without giving death someone in return. To keep everything balanced out." I understood, and knew angel was too far gone anyways.

"Why did death sound familiar?" Twilight looked at me confused for a second, then her eyes filled with rememberance.

"Discord, he is in charge of all transactions!" This frightened me, making me jump back a bit. I was that close to discord? He was in my mind?!

One more question appeared "How did you know to find me?"

"I'm not sure.....I was trying to sleep, and I saw a vision of you geting thrown back by a beam of light. I hurried as fast as I could. It's almost like... I could see what you were seeing." After this she trailed off into thought.

"Saw what I saw....." Could it be I'm not the one killing these innocents? Could I have seen one of the others do it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the next few months few things happened. After angels funeral I just moped around a bit, trying to keep to myself.

But then a ray of sun came into me and my friends lives. Rainbow eventually ended up dating Caramel and the were really happy together. Even though he couldn’t fly I don’t think I’ve seen Rainbow as happy as she was with him since...ever. Not even when she performed the Rainboom.

She was lot nicer too.

Well since Rainbow spent ever moment with her coltfriend, me and Twilight had lots of quality time. We became good friends and basically knew everything about each other. She even knew about the baby hydra I’ve been taking care of in my basement, which in return she told me about her “restricted” section of novels. We both laughed pretty hard about that.

“Hey Flutter, we’ve gotten pretty good with our powers right?” We were sitting in the park enjoying a picnic when she asked me this.

“Well I’m not really one to boast, but I think we are doing good.” Flutters mom always taught her boasting was bad, and if her mom didn’t teach her that, the issue with Trixie did.

“Well I was thinking we could use them to benefit us. We could disguise them as magic tricks and have you perform in town. We’d get tons of money, I mean who wouldn’t want to see a pegasus perform spectacular feats of magic!.” She had a look in her eye I usually saw in Rainbow, and I couldn’t argue, it sounded like a good idea to me.

“But.... what if we get exposed?” My mind worked in a way that it thought of every possible bad outcome, which sometimes annoyed me.

“We won’t, if they learn we can wipe their memorys right?” She looked off torwards the lake dreamily. “These powers can do almost anything Flutter, we have no limit...... I have a theory on why one of us turns evil too..... The Apex-predator, a creature more evolved than any other, it feels no regret when killing another species. Like ponies kill flies.” I gasped at this, feeling horrible for those poor little flies.

We didn’t talk anymore after that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next few days we spent in the library perfecting our routine. I would levitate all the animals around us, shoot fireworks from my wings, flip myself upside down without using wings and stay there for a few minutes, I would then teleport behind someone, then end with becoming a bunny. I don’t know how this isn’t suspicious.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well I’ve been doing these performances downtown for about a week now, and we have basically became celebritys. Everyone comes and pays us for our tricks, we’ve done interviews for the paper, even! Basically everyone but myself loves it.

I hate the attention, but I guess it is fun bringing smiles about. I could never hate that.

I haven’t seen Dash in forever, not since Caramel entered her life. I don’t think much about her anymore. Could it be the mare who was once like my sister is hardly my friend now? Sadly I think thats whats happened.

One pony in particular has been coming to nearly every show. This pony, from what I’ve heard, is Soarin of the Wonderbolts.

He watches with complete fascination. At the end of each show he attempts to approach me, but the mob of fans beat him to it, pushing him aside.

Everytime he leaves he gets one glance in my eyes which sends me into a deep blushing state. I don't know why, he just makes me feel tingly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I’ve been using the powers to catch up on Soarin’s history with the Wonderbolts, using the powers kind of like Bwoogle (a giant encyclopedia updated daily with information on everything).

All I can say is, no wonder Dash used to have a crush on him. Hes kind and funny, but also brave, hardworking, and a great flier.

Not to mention handsome.

This sent me into yet another blushing state. I didn’t really just think that? I haven’t even talked to him, and maybe his interest was purely in the tricks. But the way he looked at me... no, it had to be the tricks. No one could feel that way about a shy pony like me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I woke up in the middle of the night from a knocking on the window. I was terrified, thinking this would end like my other dreams. Me killing something.

I slowly crept to the widow and peeked my head to see who was there, making sure to keep most of my body concealed from view.

I nearly passed out when I saw Soarin hovering there looking embarrassed in the moonlight.

I opened the window just enough to speak through, rather worried he may be upset about something. “H-hello, h-how are y-you?” I blushed, why did I have to blush?

“Oh, yeah... hello. I’m Soarin.... and your Fluttershy right? You do the performances downtown? I just stopped in town for a month and saw one..... It was pretty cool.” He never made eye contact with me, which made me curious. He seemed to be about as shy as me.

“Oh, t-thank you v-very much.” I smiled up at him., the best I could manage.

“I’m sorry if I frightened you, you seem a little scared.” He looked angry at himself which made me obviously angry at myself for making him angry at himself.

“No! Not at all! I’m just...kinda shy around...new ponies.” The sudden burst of courage I had quickly died away.

“Well you don’t have to be shy around me okay.... think of me as a old buddy, then maybe you’ll stop hiding behind your mane?” he put his hoof out and gives me a huge honest smile. How could I deny that smile?

I open the window and shake his hoof very quickly, was it too quickly? “I saw you at some of the shows, thank you for going.”

“No problem, I’m a fan. The things you do there are truly amazing. But the tricks weren’t what impressed me....” He blushes as if just realizing what came out and I blushed in return.

“W-what impressed you?” Was there some possibility he liked me? No, that would be a miracle, nopony would like me like that.

“What impressed me was when the show ended.” He facehooved “That came out wrong.... I mean when you finished your tricks, I saw something in your eye. I don’t know if you know this but your kinda famous in this town for your tricks..... But in your eyes I saw you hated the attention.... the publicity. Most ponies who become famous let it go to their heads, but you seemed...different. I wanted to meet you and I saw you fly this way after the show and this is the only house around..... so yeah.” He said as fast as he could manage.

My heart burst with joy. He thought of me like that? He wanted to talk to me? My heart raced and I wasn’t sure it was going to stop. “You really liked the show?” That was the only thing I could come up with? How stupid was I?

“Well I tried to talk to you before, but believe it or not... your a little intimidating. I mean, with the skills you showed in the show and the adventures you’ve gone on, you even stopped a dragon once, I didn’t know if you’d even care about talking to me.” He finally looked me in the eyes and smiled which I immediately smiled back, both of us blushing more.

“Of course I’d love to talk to you, you seem super nice.” We both blushed even harder now “If you wanted.... maybe we could go on a picnic or something sometime?”

“That’d be awesome! I’d love to get to know you more!” He did a little spin in the air which made me giggle. “I’ll be around for another month, so anytime your feeling lonely just look up at the sky for me.”

“I’ll do that.” We shared one more smile then he flew off into the night sky.

I flopped down into my bed and squeed into my pillow as loudly as I could manage. Did that really just happen? Was he interested in me? All I know is I’m interested in him and this is the best night ever!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had our picnic and it was just as wonderful as I hoped. We had a picnic at sweet apple acres, with AJ’s permission, and talked lots. It was weird, I never realized I had so much to say.

We both shared stories with each other, him mostly wonderbolt ones and mine mostly adventures with my friends. He listened intently too!

Afterwards we flew above the Everfree forest, although I was a little scared I knew he’d protect me since he was right by my side the whole time. It was amazing flying with him, I was sad when it became night and he had to leave.

But hopefully there will be a next time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our shows publicity began to die down, mostly since we only knew so many tricks. We decided it was time to end the shows, but we needed a big “grand finale”.

“So I was thinking, you could make a light show out of the fireworks, like, make them animations. Then we could teleport someone from the audience too!” Twilight had been rambling on like this forever, this is what most of my trips to the library are like now. No longer just fun with a friend, now it was all buisness.

“But... what if we lose the pony in mid-teleportation?” That would be horrible, losing somepony and it being all my fault.

Twilight ignored my question "Oh, and Rainbow said shes coming too, she might bring Caramel along.”

This upset me. She was our best friend, basically my sister, then some colt showed up and she completely ditched us! We haven’t talked in at least a month and I NEVER see her! Now when she finally decides to show up, she brings him along too!

“well....thats nice.” I did my best fake smile, but Twilight never looked up from her list of tricks we could perform.

I sighed as we continued through her list, and once more my thoughts drifted over to Soarin.